What once was. . .again by josette grover
Summary: Chris Larabee wakes up screaming.  . .to a different life.
Categories: Non Buffy/Angel Crossovers Characters: None
Genres: AU
Warnings: Angst, Het, Slash
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 3570 Read: 65027 Published: 2009.11.28 Updated: 2010.01.14

1. Chapter 1 by josette grover

2. Chapter 2 by josette grover

3. Chapter 3 by josette grover

4. Chapter 4 by josette grover

Chapter 1 by josette grover
 

Chris Larabee wakes up screaming in his bed. Sweat runs down his face and bare chest like he'd been running a marathon as he holds his face in his hands trying to catch his breath. It had been a long, hard bust, he'd went from the office straight to his bed.

 

The person in the bed next to him is woke up by the screaming, reaching over and turning on the light.

 

“Chris, what's the matter?”

 

Chris scrambles out of the bed, staring at the other person.

 

“S. . .S. ..Sarah?” he asks, blinking. He scrambles against the wall as his late wife blinks at him from the bed. “What the hell is going on?”

 

“Christopher Adam Larabee, don't you swear around me Mister!” she snaps, squirming towards the edge of the bed. “Well don't just stand there, help me get up.” She glares over her shoulder at him. He blinks and moves automatically, reaching for her. Instead of disappearing like he'd expected, he has to be dreaming after all, she grunts and grabs his hands, using his help to pull herself to her feet. He stares, her nightgown is stretched over her very, very, very pregnant belly.

 

“Your heathen children are lying on my bladder, so I'm going to pee. When I get back, we will be talking about why you're acting like you've just seen a ghost. And go check on the boys, make sure your yelling didn't wake them.” she orders.

 

“Boys?” Chris stares at her retreating back dumbly as he looks around the room, what had been a room that he slept in but didn't live in this morning is replaced by one that is definitely lived in. There's pictures everywhere of Sarah, him, the team, and . . .two little boys???

 

“Our sons, Adam and Alex?” Sarah turns to look at him. She gives him a look and he stumbles out of the bedroom. The living room looks like it had when he'd stumbled through it on the way to his bedroom, at least until he sees the toys scattered around the furniture, more pictures on the mantel, kids coats on the pegboard by the back door, and a half-grown puppy in the kitchen that scrambles to his feet for a headrub when the master of the house appears. Chris automatically opens the back door to let him out, the puppy runs out and lifts his leg on a tree as Chris stares at the two vehicles in the yard, his SUV and Sarah's old vehicle, the one that she and Adam had died in. . Adam. He lets the puppy back in and he curls up on his blanket as Chris heads down the hall to the other bedrooms.

 

He blinks as he sees an open door, lit by a nightlight. He opens the door to see a pair of twin beds against the walls, a dark head on each pillow. He walks in and looks at the two beds. Adam's around nine or ten, he manages to keep himself from touching him. He looks over at the other bed. The boy sleeping there . . .Chris's first thought is, they don't look alike. A pair of chocolate brown eyes look back at him sleepily, Chris automatically reaches over and brushes a hand over his head, pulling the covers back up around him. “Shhh Alex it's just me, go back to sleep.”

 

Chris shakes his head as he leaves the boys bedroom, heading to where his office should be. He sighs when he sees it looks like it had been when he left the house, booting up the computer as he sits down.

 

“Chris?” Sarah asks her husband when she comes into the office. She rests her hands on his shoulders as he quickly pulls up web pages. She doesn't know what he's looking for, but from his frantic typing and glaring at the screen, he can't find it. “What's the matter? Do you need me to call JD?”

 

Chris looks at her. “Sarah, you won't believe me. And what do you know about JD, I met him after you died?”

 

Sarah chokes. “Excuse me? I . . .. WHAT?”

 

Chris pinches his nose. “October 17, five years ago. I was gone extraditing a criminal with Buck. While we were gone, there was a bomb planted in your car. You and Adam died. I joined the ATF after you died, Buck and I both did.”

 

“Hon, it's just a bad dream. I'm alive, Adam's alive. . .Alex. . .What about Alex?”

 

“We didn't have twins, Sarie, we just had one child.”

 

“See, it was just a dream. I'm alive, we have two strong sons, and in a couple of months we're going to have two beautiful daughters. Now come back to bed?” Sarah hums as she pulls her husband to his feet. She pulls him back to their bedroom, doing everything she can to get him settled back to sleep. But it doesn't work, Chris lies awake the rest of the night afraid to close his eyes in case this is just a dream.

Chapter 2 by josette grover
 

Chris lays there until Sarah has fallen back asleep and silently gets up, trying not to wake her. He goes back to his office, pulling up more and more webpages. . . .but try as he might, he cannot find anything on the web about a car bomb in Denver on October 17th five years ago. He's standing at the sink watching the sun come up with a cup of coffee when Sarah gets up. She leans against his back, her hands wrapping around his chest. Chris can feel the babies moving in her stomach.

 

“You've been up for hours, haven't you?” She asks him softly as he turns around. She snuggles against him, feeling a small flinch in him before her relaxes and just holds her. “That dream you had, it really bothered you, didn't it?”

 

“Sarah, I remember getting the phone call that you died, coming back to Denver. Your bodies were so burned from the explosion the caskets were closed for the funeral. I remember falling into the bottle, all I wanted to do was crawl into a hole and never come out. I remember doing stupid things trying to get myself killed that would have had you screaming at the top of your lungs for being so damn stupid. . .. then I joined the ATF with Buck and formed my team. I was a morose sullen bastard, everybody was scared of my scowl.” He has to smile, remembering the more annoying pompous government agents he's scared with his glare.

 

Sarah smiles and kisses him on the nose. “And how is that any different than you normally are?” she asks with a smirk that reminds him of Buck's, but then she is his sister. “Now go make sure the boys aren't getting into mischief, I know they're awake, while I make breakfast.”

 

Chris moves before he's even aware of what he's doing, he can hear the boys tussling in their room. He opens the door to find them on their beds, still in their pajamas.

 

“Boys, time to get up. Get dressed, wash up, and let Baxter out to pee.” Chris moves to the side as the boys run out of their room. He grabs both of them in hugs as they pass him. Now that they're awake, he can see Alex is a little taller than Adam, his hair shaggy and standing in all directions from sleep. He heads back to the kitchen, grabbing the phone as it begins to ring.

 

“Larabee!”he barks, sighing when Sarah raises an eyebrow at him. The dream, if it had been a dream, has left some lingering habits.

 

“Chris, it's me, we've got a General coming in from Denver, he's got a case that he wants us to look at. It's not guns, but he's a big muckety muck and he wants the best team in the city working on it.” Buck's voice says on the other end. “They're supposed to arrive later this afternoon.”

 

Chris sighs and cusses silently as the boys tear through the kitchen, Baxter barking and running beside them. The kitchen door bangs open and the dog goes out, Sarah reaching out and grabbing the boys collars before they can follow him outside.

 

“Fill Baxter's bowls, let him back in in a few minutes, sit down and eat breakfast, then you can go outside and play. From the look on your daddy's face, he's got a case and has to go to work.”

 

The boys moan and look at Chris. “I'll be there in a couple of hours Buck,” he says. “Before you go, does October 17th mean anything to you?”

 

“Yeah, it's the kid's birthday.” Buck snorts, leaning back in his chair at the office. “He's going to be a big sixteen, old enough to get a license so he doesn't have to ride his bicycle to work anymore.” JD idly flips him the bird.

 

Chris sighs and hangs up the phone, rubbing a hand over his face as he tries to decide whether he's losing mind or not, not realizing that in different parts of the country two other men are having variations on the same thought.

 

In Colorado Springs, Jack O'Neill looks at his son Charlie as the younger man comes in from the yard with the newspaper. Somehow his son was alive! Alive! It wasn't possible! But there he was. Daniel had tried telling him it was just a bad dream but he hadn't been totally convinced. But he's got his son back and that's all that matters. Daniel comes in from the kitchen, blinking as he sips his first morning cup of coffee as Wesley stumbles down the stairs, neatly dressed even at this early hour of the morning. And since when did him and Sarah had more than Charlie? But he can't ignore the fact that Wesley is his son, even if he does take after Daniel more than him.

 

In DC, Leroy Jethro Gibbs looks around the kitchen table. His wife Shannon walks to the stairs. “Girls, breakfast.” She calls, sitting across from her husband at the table. She'd been so worried when he was hurt in that explosion, he seems better now, but he still stares at her and the girls when they walk into the room. “Morning Daddy, Morning Dad.” Kelly and Dawn chirp as they come down the stairs. It's hard to believe, but the girls are nearly sixteen now. And She's Pregnant!

Chapter 3 by josette grover

Jack Carter wakes up screaming in his bedroom, the lights turning up automatically as the figure next to him in the bed startles awake.


“Jack?” an arm reaches around him. He nearly jumps off the bed, staring in shock as Dr. Nathan Stark blinks against the light. The sheet is pooled around his waist, glinting off the broad muscles off his chest. It's obvious that he's naked under the sheet and Jack blinks when he realizes he's naked as well. That's quickly forgotten as he backs up against the wall, staring at the room around him.


“Jack, what's the matter?” Nathan asks again. He doesn't know what crawled up Carter's ass and died, but, he looks at the clock and moans. “Carter, it's been a long night. Fargo nearly blew the both of us as well as Global Dynamics up with his latest fiasco, you have a stack of paperwork as tall as the kids to work on tomorrow, and no you can't get Jo in to do it, maternity leave means maternity leave, besides she hates paperwork nearly as much as you do, I have a pile equally as tall, and it's only been an hour since we got to sleep. Now what the Hell is your problem?”


“You're dead!” Carter says in a shocked, stunned voice.


Stark had reached over to take a drink of the pitcher of ice water S.A.R.A.H had left on his nightstand and chokes, spluttering.


“Excuse me, I'm what?” he stares at him, wiping the water off his chest with the sheet. “Are you sure you didn't get hit in the head?” His mood swings again, from annoyance back to concern. It would be just like the other man to be injured and not have said anything. He quickly gets out of the bed, walking over to where his lover is crouched against the wall, grabs his head between his hands and looks in his eyes for the signs of a concussion.


Carter stares at the apparition bending over him, hesitantly reaching up to touch him. Instead of the other man vanishing like he'd expected, he encounters warm flesh. Stark soon gets him settled back in the bed, sitting on the edge beside him. He'd put on a robe in case one of the kids came running woke by Carter's shouts but if they could sleep through their lovemaking a little nightmare shouldn't have woke them. But to be sure. . .


“S.A.R.A.H, are the kids awake?”


“No Dr. Stark, Sheriff Carter's shouts didn't wake them.”


“Thank you S.A.R.A.H.” Nathan says


“Kids?” Carter asks. This has got to be the strangest dream he's ever had.


“My son Daniel, your daughter Zoe the twins Kendra and Faith?” Stark asks him.


“Why aren't you with Allison?” Carter asks.


“Why would I be with Allison? She's my ex, I'm with you now.”


“Umm, you were engaged? You died on your wedding day? She's pregnant with your baby?” Carter asks.


“Excuse me, we're what?” It's Nathan's turn to shout. “Oh hell,” he moans as a baby starts crying. He doesn't need S.A.R.A.H's report to tell him that he woke the babies. He gets up and heads down the hall, Zoe's door opening and his stepdaughter standing in the doorway as he goes by.


“Go back to sleep Zoe, I'm sorry for waking you.” he says, opening the door to the nursery. Carter comes down the hallway, tying the sash on his robe as the lights come up in the room. He blinks when he first sees the twins, one's black and the other's white. The white baby is the one crying and Nathan reaches down to pick her up, lying her on his shoulder and rubbing her back gently as the other baby looks up at the ceiling, a 'what is your problem' look on her face that Carter recognizes from long association with his ex-wife, Allison, and Stark. Automatically, he reaches down and picks her up, the baby snuffling against his shoulder as she goes back to sleep.


“It's okay Daniel, we have them. Go back to sleep.” Stark says and Carter turns around to see a teenage boy, who can't be any older than Zoe, leaning against the doorframe. He blinks at the purple tipped hair standing straight up, Nathan must have had a fit about that but that's the least thing he has time to worry about.


“Cool.” Daniel Stark says, turning around and walking back down the hall to his room. “Night.” he calls over his shoulder to his parents. He checks in on Zoe as he passes her room, she's already asleep.

Chapter 4 by josette grover

Nathan leans against the wall, Faith held in his arms as he looks over to see Carter rocking Kendra who's already fallen back asleep.

 

"Carter," Nathan says, picking up the conversation they'd had in the bedroom. "Why would you think that Allie and I would get back together, we're better friends than lovers."

 

"You finally signed the divorce papers after the . . .situation with Kevin." Carter says slowly. Stark nods. "Henry took the blame for what happened and was arrested, the DoD brought in a corporate headhunter who started cutting projects and firing personnel, you ended up asking Allison to marry you again. . .she said yes. We were involved in the biosphere project when people started changing, Thorne got Henry Pardoned so she could use him for her needs, we went underground when earthquakes rocked Eureka, releasing magma. . .time did a bad groundhog day imitation on your wedding day, you ended sacrificing yourself to start time again. . .any of this sounding familiar?"

 

"Henry was arrested for the whole Kevin. . .situation?" Stark says slowly. Carter nods. "He took the blame for it, to protect you and Allison."

 

"The DoD brought in a corporate headhunter?"

 

"Eva Thorne, she was brought in because Global Dynamics wasn't showing a big enough profit margin."

 

"Excuse me, GD is a top secret government contractor, all of our projects are classified. We don't need to show a profit margin." Stark huffs.

 

"She wasn't that good of a corporate headhunter." Carter snorts. "Her idea of corporate sponsorship was to put logos on the backs of lab coats."

 

Stark rolls his eyes. "And you couldn't tell that you were dreaming?"

 

"Hello, I was a little busy, what with the drone going rogue, Larry sucking up to Thorne because she was in charge of Global Dynamics."

 

"That sounds like Larry." Stark sighs.

 

"How did we get together? When did you get a son? And the babies?" Carter asks, lying the now sleeping baby back down in her crib. Stark looks down at the baby in his arms, Faith is stubbornly refusing to go back to sleep, looking up at him as if to say 'yo pops, ain't getting off that easy'."

 

Nathan looks over at him. "Carter, that's not funny."

 

"I'm not joking Stark, I have no idea how we got together, or why we suddenly have four children."

 

"Go back to sleep, your nightmare has rattled what little brains you have loose. Maybe a good night's sleep will make everything come back into focus."

 

"Thank god, you're being snarky. You being nice and helpful was a little freaky." Carter sighs. Nathan snorts at him and grabs him by the shoulder after he puts the baby down, pulling him down the hallway to their bedroom. Carter gulps as Stark takes off his robe and slides under the covers, looking at Carter with one eyebrow raised nearly to his hairline until Carter takes off his robe and gingerly slides under the covers. Stark snorts and pulls Carter into his arms, Carter freezes but finally relaxes and falls back to sleep while Stark stares at the ceiling.

 

"Alonna, Charles, time to go." Sheldon Hawkes says, looking down the hallway of his condo. The door to the other two bedrooms opens and his younger siblings, Alonna and Charles come out of their room. He shakes his head at Charles glower, he hadn't wanted to come in to the lab with him today but he wasn't going to leave them alone at the condo. Not with the loss of their parents so fresh in all three of their minds. He knew that Charles wasn't happy having to move to New York, but he has a job and life here in New York and his parents were worried that Charles might have been getting into a gang before they died. Alonna had made friends with Stella's foster daughter Winifred and Mac's daughter Cordelia, the three girls could be frequently found huddled over their textbooks at the lab while their guardians were working late. Charles had begun softening his hardass attitude around the attitude, the others had started teaching him how the machines work and what tests they run when they're not in the middle of a case.

 

Meanwhile in a office building in Boston, Nathan looks out the window as he sees four boys running around outside. Eliot stands by his side, his hand on his shoulder as they watch David, his younger brother Andrew, and Eliot's foster sons Liam and William playing tag football. Unknown to them, somebody is watching the scene as well. . . and smiling.

 

Giles shakes his head as he leaves the room, his powers making sure the humans never knew he was there. Who would have thought it, Ripper, Giles, G-man, the Slayer's watcher, would become a Vengeance Demon. But that was the price to make sure his children and the others were safe. D'Hoffryn thought he had the watcher over a barrel, not knowing his daughters Anyanka and Halfrek had told the man his favorite tricks. He'd quietly deposed the former Lord of Vengeance Demons, turning his attention to making a few changes to the timestream so that his children had new loving families. And the men whose families he'd restored would love his children like they were his own. Though he is a little perturbed that they seem to have shrugged off the new memories he'd cultivated for them, he'll have to keep an eye on them. . .

 

 

This story archived at http://imagine.e-fic.com/viewstory.php?sid=335