Handling Things (working title) by CE Dalton
Summary: Beth, a junior handler, has her share of problems she has to deal with. Including some idiots who think she's a prize.
Categories: Original Content Characters: None
Genres: Original
Warnings: Angst, Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 83133 Read: 347587 Published: 2018.12.31 Updated: 2018.12.31
Story Notes:
Yes, I finally got another original story done. It took me forever. This one's only been self beta'd once or twice.

1. Chapter 1 by CE Dalton

2. Chapter 2 by CE Dalton

3. Chapter 3 by CE Dalton

4. Chapter 4 by CE Dalton

5. Chapter 5 by CE Dalton

6. Chapter 6 by CE Dalton

7. Chapter 7 by CE Dalton

8. Chapter 8 by CE Dalton

9. Chapter 9 by CE Dalton

10. Chapter 10 by CE Dalton

11. Chapter 11 by CE Dalton

12. Chapter 12 by CE Dalton

13. Chapter 13 by CE Dalton

14. Chapter 14 by CE Dalton

15. Chapter 15 by CE Dalton

16. Chapter 16 by CE Dalton

17. Chapter 17 by CE Dalton

18. Chapter 18 by CE Dalton

19. Chapter 19 by CE Dalton

20. Chapter 20 by CE Dalton

Chapter 1 by CE Dalton
Handling Things (working title)



Chapter 1



Beth pushed her short, dark brown hair over her ears, and looked at her new 'team'. Beth was the ideal version of 'pixie' from her short haircut to her smaller, muscular stature. Her lighter tan skin was glowing from a bit of sweat but you could tell it was slightly warm in the building today. "Welcome to the Reeds, the top training center for athletes of most specialities on the east coast. I'm Beth. I'm a junior handler. That means I make your reservations, your travel plans, and I'm the one you call for problems. We've assigned Toby to be your physical trainer in the weight room and other workout areas." She smiled. She clapped her hands. "Let's start in the basic areas you'll need. This way to the changing rooms." She led the women's professional soccer team off.

"To the right," she said with a point at a set of double doors. "Is our trainer's area. That's where you're most likely to find the coaches or trainers when they're on duty but not busy. Some coaches also hold team meetings there if it's something that requires the trainers to know too." She opened a set of doors just up the hall on the other side. "This is our outer changing area. Yes, the windows are one-way, no one can see in. The outside has a reflective shield applied so even if someone's trying to peer in they won't see anything." She pointed at a slightly comfortable looking couch area. "This is your cool down and waiting area in case someone's here who is authorized into the center. So spouses, significant others, as long as you've signed them in they can wait here. One tennis player used to let her child nap in here when she was in the weight room." She grinned. "We all learned what fussy kids looked like thanks to her hellion."

She held up her pass. "We'll be issuing you one of these in a few minutes from the head office." She ran the pass through the sensor to open the door to the changing area. "This is the women's side. The guys are up the hall in the next doorway and they have the same setup." She led them in there. "This is your row of lockers." She took some tape and a marker to do their names on them. "Notice each locker has a pass sensor. That way no one has to remember anything and your tags are smaller than mine so you can hang it on your practice bag or whatever." She smiled. "Let's go to the office by way of the other interesting things on this floor, like the caf, the weight room, the massage therapist's office," she said with a nod at one of the women.

"It's just a pulled muscle. I've been healing it now for weeks."

Beth smiled at her. "All that's included in your fees. If you need them, we have regular physical therapists and we have massage techs who are also PT's. You schedule with them as you need to." They nodded so she led them off. "This is our caf," she said with a point. "Your fees mean that you have a five dollar credit a day for in here. We have nutritional stuff and not so nutritional stuff for treats and snacks. We do a different cuisine each day, today's is Korean, but snacks are pretty universal. The juice and smoothie bar is on the other side of each training floor. Your credit works there as well."

She led them off to the main office to get their ID's. She showed them which way they went in the readers then took them to the elevator. "This is your training floor. It's got the bigger field sports. We have a lacrosse team that practices in the second gym but yours is set up for two college teams that have people who want to try out for professional spots, and one professional male team." She opened one of the training areas. "This is the one assigned to you every other day, all day, so you can practice all you want and the rest of the time you can workout or do whatever training you need."

She smiled. "If you hear loud thumps from upstairs, it's the basketball team." A few laughed, shaking their heads. "They try but they've had a few clumsy players this week. We're planning on adding to the insulation between floors by the holidays." She led them back downstairs. "This is the weight room, and through there is the yoga room, and we do have trainers who are qualified to teach classes in it if you guys want." She led them through all the training areas, ending up with the trainers themselves. "This is Toby," she said, patting him on the arm with a grin. "He's your personal trainer for the team." Toby was medium height but very muscled, looked like a Chinese bodybuilder, and had very short black hair.

"Afternoon, ladies," he said with a nod. "We can do fitness levels anytime this week. My other team is in Europe at a game." He looked them over. "If any of you aren't comfortable with a guy doing the training, just let me know. We have three female exercise trainers here, one who is a physical therapist as well, and we can assign you to work with them instead. We don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable and if someone makes you feel that way, tell myself or Beth so we can stomp them into a gooey spot." He smiled. "Any questions?"

"Why do we have a mechanical bull?" one asked with a point back at it.

Toby laughed. "We have three people here who used to do rodeo events. They use it. The rest of us just watch and laugh a tiny bit when they get thrown off. It keeps them in good shape but they do a lot of leg exercises as well." She laughed. "We have had an equestrian rider training here after an injury, he was amused by the bull too."

"If we had stables, we could let more train here," Beth quipped. "It'd be nice to pet the horses sometimes since you can't really pet the sweaty athletes when they need it. Some of them get *really* touchy at times. Even when they're walking up the hall pouting and could use a hug they'll complain if you pat them on the arm."

Toby nodded. "The male soccer team? Definitely." The women all smiled at him. "So, first thing tomorrow?"

"We have you scheduled to take over the gym on Wednesday," Beth said after looking at her schedule. "So if you guys want to come do any fitness testing tomorrow, that's great. If not, that's great. You're all adults and we only nag if you're injured and doing stupid stuff." She smiled. "Most of us around here are adults."

Toby coughed, staring at her. "Says the young thing of nineteen."

"Who has been doing this for two years," she said dryly with a smile for him. "All I need is the degree and I can move up." She smiled at them. "I'm also available to help with one-on-one practices. I'm rated as a possible backup player but not olympic or professional quality so I can definitely help if you need blocking practice and no one's around." They nodded. "You'll find most of the handlers are either former athletes or have degrees in training. A lot of the former athletes are actually pretty decent in more than one field. I used to fence competitively in the junior class. Soccer I took in high school and we won a lot of games but I didn't want to rest on it to get into college." They nodded.

"So, just ask me if you need anything. My office is two sections up from your gym. Your team manger has given me the game schedule so I can make travel and other arrangements for you. Let me know if there's special needs for that, like blackout curtains, white noise generators, anything like that. Because that can affect your performance and we'd hate to do that to you. Any questions?" They shook their heads.
"Then have a happy day, ladies, and come see me when you need me. I'll be in next week to go over your trip plans for the game that weekend. The one before then," she said when the team captain opened her mouth. "He said he's already arranged for. So I don't have to. He'll have the arrangements for you in a few days." They nodded and walked out chatting. She looked at Toby once they were gone. "I count two with problems," she said quietly.

"Three. One's become a media darling recently." She grimaced. "It'll get worked out. You know that. Why don't you fence anymore?"

"My aunt." She smiled. "Why do you think I got adopted by Major Bill? Though I do fence, but comps are difficult to attend." She strolled off. "Going back upstairs."

"Sure, kid." She flashed a grin at him then finished her stroll to the caf for some tea and up to her desk. Toby went to talk to his trainers. They had seen plenty of athletes with problems, even some of their own making. This group was nice enough but they'd see how they worked out.

***

Beth looked up as someone tapped on her office door. "What's wrong, Linda?" she asked the captain of her new soccer team. Linda was tall, athletically built with a tiny bit of middle pudge to her, but she was also a bit older than you'd think a professional soccer player should be. She knew the team was on their way in for their scheduled time soon.

"We need to change the rooming arrangements you posted as a preliminary."

"Sure." She pulled over that file and opened the site she used. "How do I need to change it?"

"Two of the girls cannot room with others."

"I can change that." She made a note in the folder. "So that makes three single rooms?"

Linda shrugged. "We also need to add one person so maybe not. Amber always travels with her twin." Beth looked at her. "She travels as her helper and sober companion to make sure she doesn't have any problems with the parties that invariably happen."

"I can put her on as a helper and assistant to the team. She's not the first. Usually it's someone's wife." She smiled. "Does she pay her own way or does the team?"

"The manager usually lets us do it unless he's in a foul mood because we've lost a lot."

Beth nodded. "I can add that." She added that notation and dug out a form from her shelves behind her. "Have her fill that out so she's allowed into practice areas." She changed things and printed it. "How's that?"

She looked it over. "I think that's right. Our manager should be in today."

"I'll okay it with him anyway. That's why it's a preliminary copy." Linda smiled. Beth's phone rang. "Beth.... How bad?" She nodded. "Thank you." She hung up the phone, standing up. "We have to go talk to your center midfielder. She just beat up a few of the guards who tried to breathalyze her." Linda winced, shaking her head as they walked back to the gym. "Miss Abersome," Beth said as she walked up to her. The willowy Latina woman was already sneering. "I'm sorry but by facility rules we are not allowed to let you do anything in this facility if your blood alcohol content is over .04. That is for your safety, as well as the safety of those around you. Though, technically I could have you banished from the facility until someone begs nicely for you trying to beat a few guards for doing their jobs."

"I don't have to do shit," she sneered.

"You do or you can sit down and do nothing until you're sober," Beth said with a small shrug. "You signed a contract saying that you agreed with the facility rules. We gave everyone a handbook with them before you signed on." She shifted her stance.

"You're scared of me," the drunk sneered.

"No, I'm just moving into a better position in case you make me kick you around," Beth said dryly. "Taekwondo was a great discipline builder in high school. I went to an all-girls school and there were bitches there," she finished sarcastically. "That is a warning. You have a choice of going home for the day or of sitting and watching practice until you blow below a point .04 on the breathalyser. That is your choice." She stared at her. The drunk woman lunged at her so Beth put her onto her back and stared down at her.

"I do have a brown belt and I'm still learning the art of taekwondo. I also don't put up with shit from anyone," she said. "Get up, go home. The rules don't change just because you decided to close down half of New York's bars last night. Or today really. You are not that special. I'm a better player than you are and you're not going to make the olympic team with that attitude. Now, get up, go home. We can call you a cab because it's the responsible thing to do." She walked off. "Alba, what's wrong?" she asked the young woman in the stands. She sat beside her because she was crying.

"My brother just called. He said there's been a car wreck." Beth hugged her. "I... I don't know what to do. I need to do something but I don't know what." She was staring at her phone.

"Do you have any other relatives out there?" Beth asked gently. "Someone you can trust to give you information until I can get you home?"

She nodded quickly, finding their number in her phone. "Aunt Zel, it's me. What happened? Tony just called up saying there was a car accident?" She listened, going pale. Beth helped hold her up while she used her phone to make her plane reservations. She had memorized her team's profiles before she had met them. "I... I'll try to get home by tomorrow. I'm not sure how long the bus takes."

"The plane takes four hours, you leave at five-forty-five," Beth said. "It'll get you three hours from your hometown." She looked at her. "Can you find a ride from there?"

"I don't know. My aunt doesn't really drive."

"Let me call someone. A former trainee lives by that area." She called him. "Richard DuPriest, Beth DeSanra at the Reed Center. I have a present trainee who needs to get home and they live near you. Something just happened to her parents. She's coming into that airport but she lives about three hours away. What's the easiest way to get her home?" She listened. "Are you sure? Of course, and we'll gladly reimburse you for gas, Richard. Thank you. Yes, that's her. They're saying... Oh, dear. No, her brother told her there had been a car accident. Thank you. She's coming in at nine. I have her booked on flight 182 on Southwest. Thanks, Richard. This is a huge favor and I'll send her with a gas reimbursement." She hung up and looked at her licking her lips. "He'll pick you up and get you home. What did your aunt say happened?"

"Someone broke into the house."

Beth looked it up on the online news servers. "No." She let her see the report. "Richard saw that. They mentioned them being your parents." She gave her a squeeze around the shoulders when she started to cry again. "If you get into any trouble or you need help with *anything*, you let me know and I'll help you find whatever help you need," she said quietly. "Got it?" She nodded, handing the phone back. Beth sent the confirmation email to the other woman's phone. "That's your boarding pass. You can check in and go. You leave at five-forty-five. You get there just before nine if it's all on time. He'll be waiting and I'll send you a picture of him. Come up to my office so I can do the form to reimburse him for gas." She nodded, looking at Linda.

"If you need us, you'll call. If you need us to, we can come out for the funeral or whatever. " She hugged her friends and left with Beth. Linda looked at the others. "This looks bad."

"It does," one of the others said, looking up the news story. She let Linda see it. "That's not a car *accident*."

"No, it's not." She handed the phone back. "Okay, let's run a simple drill. We're not up to snuff today and I'm not going to be evil to us. Samantha, sit down. You can't practice in heels anyway and I will let the guards drag you off for being drunk. You knew better. They made that plain up front." Samantha huffed off. "I should probably call our manager."

"I sent a text message," their goalie said, waving her phone then putting it back into her bra. "He's not happy but he knows she's gotta go. I also had the hubby keep track in case anything new comes to light on the news." They all nodded and got into some minor drills. Beth came down to fill in for the bare spot in the line, making Linda smile. "You're not bad," the goalie said.

Beth grinned. "I don't have the killer spirit to always want to crush others. I'm good but I don't want a medal."

"That's a good reason not to take up a spot," Linda agreed. They did drills until they were tired then went home to call their teammate to check on her.

***

Beth walked up to the head office later that night, nodding at the team manager up there. "There's extenuating circumstances."

"She killed her brother."

"Her brother had just killed her parents, stuffed them in the car, turned on the engine, and closed the garage door to make it look like a joint suicide, and then called his sister to tell her there had been a car accident," she said dryly. "I think I'd probably kill my sibling too."

Hank, the team's manager, grimaced but sighed and nodded. "I would too. I wouldn't have been nearly as delicate as she was to stab him."

Beth stared at him. "Soccer teaches you not to use your hands. That leaves a problem. PR."

"I... I don't talk to press people," Hank said, looking at the facility manager.

"We have someone on staff or you can have Beth do it."

"I'm going out for her bail hearing. The others are going to be on a game trip. She'll need someone there to stand up for her."

Her boss nodded. "That's fine, Beth. Who did we pay gas to?"

"Remember Richard?"

"Ego fencing guy?" Beth nodded. "He's from there."

"He lives about thirty from the airport. That's how she knew that something wasn't right in her brother's story. He had seen it on the news."

"Great," Hank said. "We'll pay a reasonable bail and I'll put her on indefinite family leave." Beth smiled and walked off. "I'll email you the paperwork for her."

"Okay," she called back. She left, heading for the airport. She always had a bag packed in case she needed to go help one of her people. This time was a bit more personal than she usually got but not as bad as it could be. One time she had almost had to help deliver her trainee's child because the husband couldn't get there in time. Thankfully her trainee had a c-section instead. By the time Beth got to the courthouse, Alba was awaiting her hearing. Beth sat behind her and nodded. "I'm here to help," she said quietly. Alba nodded, swallowing hard. "Hank put you on indefinite family leave at the moment. The others had to travel today for the game."

"Thanks, Beth." Her case was called and she was led forward.

The judge looked at the file then at the prosecutor. "I'm not inclined to set a high bail."

"Neither am I, Your Honor, and my wife would kill me if I did." The bailiff tried not to smile at that announcement. "We'd be fine with a minimal bail."

"What about other stuff?" Alba said. "Would I have travel restrictions? Or anything like that?"

"That's something we'd have to figure out since you don't live locally," the judge said.

"Your Honor, I'm the handler for the team at their training center," Beth said, standing up. "I can gladly report to the court about any necessary traveling she has to do once she can get home. We realize she'll need time out here and I'm here to help her with any necessities she can't handle on her own with her family at the moment."

"You use a specialized training center?" the judge asked her.

"The whole team does. We've recently signed up with them because our old one was run by crooks who were more than happy to let us flounder."

"Interesting." The judge took the business card Beth had handed to the bailiff. "How much traveling does she have?"

"If she's on the team, she'll be traveling to six games in the next four months. Two are in Canada, one's in Mexico, the rest are in the US."

"Do you travel with them?"

"If they want me to. If not, there is a person who travels with the team as an assistant. She's the twin sister of one of the team. We can set up any sort of monitoring you want to impose, but a bail right now would be cruel considering how much they're going to have to plan in the next few days."

"Good point. My own mother's funeral was really expensive." He tapped the card a few times. "I'd like to have her on constant monitoring for now. She's to see me for a review before she goes back home," he told her, getting a nod back. "I'll release you ROR but you are to stay in town."

"The family home is about five miles outside city limits, sir," she said quietly, staring at him. "The funeral home and their church is in Crossgrade."

He nodded. "I want a filed, written notice of when things are going to happen. The reverend can come see you for now." She nodded. "The funeral home, I'll allow a trip if needed. Just call me first. Are you staying?" he asked Beth.

"If you need me to, I can. If not, I can hire a bodyguard to do that for her. Whichever she prefers. If you impose something like an ankle bracelet system, we can comply with updates. We've had another athlete on one at the center."

The judge nodded. "That's a reasonable thing. No alcohol, no drugs," he warned her.

"Sir, I'm not my teammate. I have sense. I don't go to practice in heels," she said.

He nodded. "That's really dumb of her." Beth nodded, looking down. "All right. For now, stay through the funeral, Miss DeSandra." She nodded. "What is her employment status?"

"Indefinite family leave."

"That's fine. We can meet after the funeral for a review of her status." He banged the gavel. "You can sign her out today."

"Thank you, Your Honor." She looked at the guard on her. "Where?"

"Downstairs, ma'am." She followed, going to do the paperwork and call that in. Beth could help her make any plans necessary as well so it'd be easier.
Chapter 2 by CE Dalton
Chapter 2

Beth got back in time for her two 'problem children' to show up on the same day. They were her first trainees, she'd had them since she graduated to handling her own people. "Hey, Al, Celia. Let me drop stuff in my office and make a report then I'll come help you both." They nodded, going to the gym. She went upstairs to the head office, finding the team's general manager up there. "She's on a monitoring bracelet. We have the system here to read her location. It doesn't have an alarm but she had to list where her nearest grocery store and all that is."

She handed over the judicial order. "We have to fax the judge a form each time she has to travel, with all the pertinent details like the itinerary. It's not bad and I've filled them out for one of our other trainees who was on probation. The trial won't be anytime in six months. She's down talking to one of our therapists right now about all this. Her lawyer suggested that it'd be a good idea and I agreed it might help her work through the grief since she's not married or anything like that."

"That's fine," Hank agreed. "The owner was a bit iffy but when I told him what happened he said she should've stabbed him more times." He stood up. "I'll go talk to her. We want to support her without making the team look bad."

"Then I'd get Samantha into rehab," she said. "The guards reported she's shown up drunk two other times. Thankfully without trying to kill them this time."

"I've tried."

"I can find you a nice one."

He smiled. "We'll see." He patted her on the arm. "She's good," he told the head of the center.

"She is. We're all looking forward to her finishing her degree so she can take care of more of our people." Hank left and he looked at her. "You good to work today?"

"I am. Al and Celia are in so I'll go help them for now." She smiled. "I talked to her as well. She's...she's healing but it's not going to be fast."

"I didn't figure it would be. Go." Beth nodded, heading down to the range. Al was a competitive shooter. He wasn't real tall but his dirty blond hair done in a floppy, casual haircut made him look younger than his thirtyish age. Celia was now an ice skater, formerly a rhythmic gymnast but a severe shoulder injury had made her change as a teenager. Al was cracking jokes as he checked over his weapons when she found them.

Beth looked at the targets and got him more, then more shells. He was doing the long course today. "How was your week?"

"Better," he admitted. "The ex is no longer nagging me about things." Beth smiled. "How's the new girl?"

"Healing. Barely but healing."

"I'd have beaten him to death with my hands," Celia said. "No stabbing needed."

Al nodded. "Definitely, even if I hadn't taken judo when I was younger." He lined up his first shot and fired. "Someone screwed with my scope."

"Want me to get the fingerprint powder or do you think it was the armory guy?"

"It was in my locker," he said. She got the fingerprinting kit. This sort of thing didn't come up all that often but athletes were a jealous bunch at times. She took them to security test against their people and trainees. One popped up. She carried the printout up there.

He checked other things. "She did a fantastic job," Al muttered. "But that explains why she quit nagging for a while."

"Want me to have a note put into her file?" Beth asked. "Keep her away from your stuff? How did she get into your locker anyway?"

"I don't know," he said, looking at her. "It was my equipment locker and that only works with my passcard."

"I'll find out." She went back down to security to handle that. Security had traced her back to a problem Beth had been fighting for a few years now. "Not them," she muttered, calling the boss. "I'm in security. Need you down here, Bell." She hung up and stared at the picture of the guy who had picked up Al's ex-wife. "Damn." The head of the center walked in with the head of their legal department. She got out of the way. "Al's ex-wife messed with his competition rifle," she said. "That one picked her up last week."

"Who is that?" the head of legal asked.

She looked at him. "You know how the Middle East hardly ever has female athletes?" He nodded. "They're more than happy to 'adopt' ones that marry into their better families in certain sports."

The head of security pulled up the file. "We've seen a few others they've tried to coerce. Always virgins, always young, always in non-strenuous sports."

"I've always been too busy to date," Beth quipped bitterly. "I fenced very well in the junior classes." The head of the center groaned, shaking his head. She looked at him. "It could be worse. Remember last year when one tried to kidnap me?"

"Unfortunately. Have you gotten anything else from them?"

"The quarterly letter of 'please come marry one of us' from that family who wanted to sponsor me into being a working wife." She looked at the head lawyer. "It's always a family that's related to the ruler's family or one of the higher priests in their version of religion. They'd bring honor to the country by marrying one of us. As far as anyone can tell, it's a small group of them but the general public wouldn't exactly mind."

He patted her on the back. "You shouldn't have to worry about that."

"I shouldn't but I still haven't gotten into much dating. Between Major Bill and all the hours I put in here, plus the few classes I've been able to take, I have no social life to even attempt something meaningless."

"Hopefully we can make sure they don't try again. I'll send out an all staff memo. Go tell her ex-husband?"

"Yup." She left, going back up to the shooting range. "Bad luck, Al. Your ex picked up a sugar daddy from the UAE." He paused, staring at her. She nodded. "So I'm probably going to be getting *another* letter." She grimaced. "Or worse but I'm hoping just a letter."

He stood up straight, staring down at her. She was only five-six. He was just over six foot. "She's with the people who want you to come prove they can have women who do olympic sports?" She nodded with a grimace.

"Don't they only want young virgins?" Celia asked.

"Yup, but hey, I have no life," Beth quipped with a smile. "Major Bill made sure of it when he adopted me." They both groaned. "Exactly." She huffed. "The head of security knows too. So does Director Bell. We'll be fine."

Al nodded. "Then why screw with my rifle's scope?"

"Um, the ex thing?" Beth guessed.

"Or she thought you'd be protecting the young one," Celia said with a shrug. Al nodded that was probably true. They both stared at her. "We need to make you ineligible for their attention."

"Hasn't happened even on the few times I've been loose and easy on a date," Beth said dryly. "Maybe when I finally get to college. Then there's college guys and college parties and college beer if I get a bit freaked out." Major Bill walked in. He was older, he was built hard, and he was slowly going bald, but you could tell he cared about her by the expression in his blue eyes. "I'm fine."

"You are not. Don't lie to me, Beth." He patted her on the shoulder. "We're finding out who he is."

"We have two agents who train here," she said. "And one State Department guy who runs marathons."

"Good point. Al, you all right?"

"I'm good and if they come up to her while I'm there, I'm going to prove I used to compete in judo."

"Not like I haven't been taking taekwondo for years," Beth said. "I'll probably be fine even if they show up. It won't be like when we had to deal with them kidnaping me and me fighting back to the point of killing one of the guards, and nearly an official who proclaimed I had wanted to be there."

Bill stared at her. "Don't remind me they tried to kidnap you last year." She rolled her eyes. "I'm going to set you up with a nice guy."

"The last one you tried to set me up with was a skank," she said dryly. "Who smoked a lot of weed." He winced. "Considering he got three calls during dinner from his various girlfriends, as he called them, I doubt that was going to happen. I'll pick up some guy in the club first." She walked over to the score sheet. "Al, want me to get someone in to fix your scope or can you?"

"I can. I don't like these new scopes anyway. I'd rather go back to my old one."

She shrugged. "You're usually accurate without one."

"I know. But using the new one means my sponsor doesn't get mad," he said.

"Have them recalibrate it," Celia said. "They need to anyway. You've been millimeters off the center most shots."

"I know. It's frustrating." He took off the scope to tinker with. Beth got him all the tools and supplies he'd need, laying them out for him. "Thanks, Beth."

"Welcome, Al. Celia, did you have rink time or gym time today?" she asked, checking something on her phone. "Alamanda has the rink right now." She looked up.

Celia snorted. "She will not make it anywhere with how weak her jumps are."

"That's what practice is for," Bill reminded her. She smirked but strolled off to get ready for her own practice. He looked at Beth. "No going out for dinner anytime soon."

"I'm going with my soccer player when she has to go back for her hearing."

"That's fine. I'm sure you'd protect each other." He patted her on the shoulder before leaving.

She looked at Al. "Need anything else?"

"No, go have fun in your office. Play a game for once," he said with a grin.

"Not likely. I have gym time tonight so I have to get some last minute details down." She smiled before walking out, heading up to her office. She ran into Linda, the head of the soccer team she handled. "What's up, Linda?"

"There's guys who take people for sports?"

"They *encourage* them to marry into good families. That way *their* girls don't have to play sports but they still get some good credit for having women playing sports. It's not unheard of. Some of the pro soccer teams do the same thing to woo people. They hold great introduction parties thinking that they'll find someone nice there to at least date, which will tie them to their country. In this case, the UAE and a few other in that region only want young women, who happen to be pure by their standards. Nothing in a rigorous sport, like soccer, but where I used to fence...." She shrugged. "It's seen as a coup by a good, higher ranking family and it means that they steal someone from a more popular team. I've been fighting with people who wanted me to switch countries since I was fifteen and won the junior national championship in fencing."

"Why don't you compete now?"

"There's only two spots on the national team," Beth said. "Those two spots have been held by the same people for years. The judges are biased toward them and last year caused a stink when they sent one to the world games even though she had lost her qualifying match." Linda winced. "A lot of that is politics. Where I work here, they're expecting that I'm going to just do this and don't *really* want to compete. I wouldn't mind going for fencing but unless one of them falls out, there's not going to be spots for years. I'm actually ranked fifth in the country for fencing." She smiled. "Be thankful team sports hit politics a lot less."

"I am. Are you going with her?"

"I am. I told her I would if she wanted me to. Did it get shifted?"

"No. She's worried about the preliminary hearing."

"The judge could toss it out. She was clearly under extreme emotional stress. From what I've seen, no one out there really wants to have her in jail for that. Not one person has stepped up and said 'send her to the clink' but a lot of people have said 'I would've hit him more'." She grinned. "We'll handle it." Linda nodded. "If she wanted someone else, that's fine."

"No, a few of us are going to support her but she hasn't asked."

"Okay. Let me know and I'll make reservations for you guys." Linda handed over the list. "I'll have the reservations posted later." Linda smiled and went back to the gym. Beth settled behind her desk to make the reservations for everyone. She took them down to the changing room to post on the bulletin board then went back up to the office to finish up her usual work for the day. Including changing Al's ex-wife's membership status to banned for tampering with Al's rig. That was definitely against the rules and she knew that. She had gotten warned over it in the past during their divorce. They hadn't had a bad one but she had been trying everyone's patience to get them on her side instead of his. It happened and they all knew that so almost no one had taken the bait. She liked their little family of athletes here at the center.
Chapter 3 by CE Dalton
Chapter 3


Beth pulled off her fencing mask, looking at the man who had rushed into their practice space. "You should not rush in that way. It could get you injured."

"Ma'am, we need you on the main floor," he said.

She bowed to her opponent, who bowed back. She walked off wiping down her foil. She still had an hour of practice time scheduled today. She came off into the main entryway, nodding at the women there. "Ladies, problems?"

"Not many," Linda said. "Our passes expired?"

Beth looked at the readout. "The system's down," she said dryly. She rebooted it and suddenly it worked. "They were 'fixing' it earlier." The ladies all laughed. "I'll have someone check and call Hank. Go warm up, ladies." A few gave her odd looks. Beth smiled. "I do fence competitively, just not for National team spots." They nodded, heading to their lockers. She looked at the guard who had called her. "The phones down?"

"Yes."

"Is that what's wrong with the sensors?"

"Not sure."

"Okay, I'll call their team manager." She went up to her office to call from there. "Hank, Beth at the Reed Center. Has something happened? We're not sure if their passes not working is on our end or yours. They were fixing the system earlier so I'm making sure." She listened to him ask the owner, who said they were still paying dues. "Okay, I'll make sure things work. Here just now. Thanks, Hank." She hung up and called security. "It's on our end." She hung up and went back to her gym. Her opponent, who was in the same waiting on someone to move out of the way state she was, smiled. "Pass system's partially down."

"Great. I saw the workmen." They put back on their masks and got back to it. "What about switching weapons. An epee isn't as covered."

"I can use an epee and a saber," Beth admitted, dodging and thrusting again. Her opponent scored a point but she scored two soon after. The computer scoring system chimed. Beth stepped back and properly saluted her. "Good match."

"I've been clumsy recently. I need to see the PT's to have them check why." She shook her hand. "Have a great day. See you next week?"

"I'm going to be in Illinois with one of my charges but definitely the week after."

"That's fine. Thanks, Beth."

"Welcome. Have a good day, Cecily." They got changed and put up their gear, heading back to where they should be. Beth walked down the hall doing up her hair. She took the envelope one of the guards held out. "Thank you. Bad or good?"

"Mail."

"Okay." She opened it on her way to the soccer gym. She stared then went down to security to hand it to the head guy. "Apparently it came in the mail?"

He looked at the envelope. "Not mailed here. Who gave it to you?"

"The young sandy blond guy you hired about six months ago. He had a stack of envelopes in his hand when he walked past me."

"I thought I fired him for leering at some of the females." He got up to track him down and escort him off property. That also somehow fixed the pass system's problems.

Beth went up to tell the ladies the passes were fixed and ran into Al's ex-wife. "I know you were banished," she said bluntly, touching her earpiece. "Security to gym floor 2," she ordered. Guards came rushing off the elevator not even a minute later. "Guys, she's banned for screwing with her ex's shooting rig." They nodded, walking her off.

The head of security stared at her. "We'll check the office and all the other areas, including his locker and yours." She smiled, patting him on the arm. "Celia's in, go help her?"

"I can do that." She went down to the ice rink in the basement, leaning on the wall. "Celia, you good?"

"I can't figure things out." She was skating aimlessly around looking pissed off.

Beth found the spare 'coach' skates and slid out. "We know I suck at it, but let's work on things."

Celia looked at her. "Are you bored?"

"Al's ex just showed up."

"Really?"

"Security has her, Celia. Calm down." Celia had a hot temper that led to her being able to disable someone then calmly walk over them humming in pleasure. They didn't need an incident today.

"Fine. I need to add a spin and I can't figure out which one. Since my coach is off due to illness I'm stuck."

"Okay, do the four moves before it and let's see what happens." She nodded, skating off to do that. Beth watched, shaking her head. "Those look awkward together. It looks like you have to really work to get up enough speed for the second jump."

"New rules," she complained.

"Can you switch your spin there and move that jump back?"

"It'll mean I'll be tired and that one's harder."

"Move it forward and replace another one that you move toward the end?"

She considered it while skating around. She did the whole routine while Beth sat on the wall. "That one's good there. So are the next two," she said. She changed the next jump to that harder one then moved the next part of the routine to where it was better.

"Arching," Beth called. "Also fingers." Celia nodded as she redid that part. "Still arching." Celia huffed. "Maybe you should try pairs?"

"I did when I had to switch. I couldn't trust a partner that much." She shrugged and tried that spin again. Beth came out to help her. She nodded, going again once Beth was out of the way.

"Up or down, Celia. You can go lower if you want or higher and spin out of it to something dance looking." She changed the end of the spin to do that, nodding at how it worked. It let her build up for the next move. At the end, she gulped the water Beth grabbed for her then tried it again as one piece. Beth nodded, timing it. She smiled. "Just under four minutes."

"My music should fit with that. I can make sure later." She smiled. "Thank you."

"Never a problem, you know that." She smiled and took off the skates, putting back on her loafers so she could get back to work. Security guards were more noticeable now and one nodded at her. She smiled at him. "It'll be fine."

"Director Bell wanted to see you, Beth," that one reported.

She sighed as she headed up to his office. "Big problems, Director?"

"One huge one that's not you, Beth." He pointed at a picture. "It was found in your desk?"

She looked then snorted, pushing it back. "You know that wasn't my weed. I'll gladly do another drug test to make sure for legal reasons."

"I know it's not yours. That leaves a problem of who planted it."

She shrugged. "I lock my office when I'm gone for a while but there's no telling. Any fingerprints?"

"Being run." He sent a message down to security, who sent back the file. He winced. "That's going to be a problem."

"Let me get Linda," she said quietly. She called down to the gym. "Linda, Beth. We need you in the main office," she said quietly. "It looks like one of your squad did something stupid." She hung up and sat down, shaking her head. "Most of them are really good."

"I know. Looking at her file, she's had a few problems. She's also missing gym time." Linda tapped then walked in. He held up the picture and the fingerprint report. "They can't prove she planted it by hallway cameras. Her fingerprints were on the bag."

"Al's ex was up near my office," Beth said.

"I'm having them look over your hallway's cameras, Beth." He looked at Linda.

"If it was her, she's off the team anyway," she said. "You okay, Beth?"

"I'm good. It's been a long day thanks to earlier but I'm fine." She smiled. "Trouble comes for us great women because we're so good and others hate to see us succeed."

Linda nodded. "It does." Another file got sent up by email. "Was it her?"

"She wasn't anywhere near that hallway but it looks like she may be working with the banned member."

"I had security remove her when I spotted her," Beth said. "Before I punched her in the nose."

Director Bell smiled, shaking his head. "I would've hit her first." He ran a hand over his dark, bald head. "The woman always was a duffer about sports." He looked at Linda. "I can't prove it."

"I'm wondering why Hank keeps her on the team," Linda said. "I'll have a talk with Hank after practice." Beth texted him to show up. "Thanks."

"Not a problem. I know there's no listening or recording devices here outside the PR department." She patted her on the arm. "I posted the reservations, did you guys look it over?" She nodded. "Okay. I'll finalize them later in the system." She got up and looked at the director. "Let's go back to practice. I'll help by being a cheerleader." Linda laughed but they went back together. It was safer.

Bell went down to meet Hank so they could talk. "It's not happy news," he said in greeting.

"I didn't figure it was." He followed him up to the office. "Something huge?"

"Yes. I'm not sure if she's messed up with the other problem we're having but they do have a person in common." Hank looked confused. "We have a person the UAE would like to recruit."

"I've seen some good players go that way," Hank admitted. The report was handed over. "Where were her fingerprints?"

"On the drugs that were planted in the team handler's desk," he said, holding up that photo. "We can't prove she was there outside those. She wasn't in the hallway by the cameras. We're fairly certain we know who planted them. She's had problems since Beth is also her ex-husband's handler. She was banned for tampering with his equipment." Hank grimaced but nodded. "But your player is causing problems anyway. According to security she showed up barely drunk and in spiked heels and insisted she could practice in heels. Someone told her it wasn't the lingerie league."

"Does Linda know?"

"Yes. Beth called her up to tell her first since she's the team captain and that problem child is down there right now." He stared at him. "I can't dictate things to you about your team, but she's dangerously riding the edge to banned status. All it will take is one proof positive incident. She could've been banned when she assaulted the security team who was trying to decide if she was too drunk to practice."

"I get that," Hank agreed. "I agree with the alcohol policy but I'd put it at zero."

"We had two people who were hardcore functioning alcoholics at one point in time. They could blow .15 and you couldn't tell they were drunk. One was drinking about having to leave his family when he escaped Russia. The other one lost his whole family in a wreck. We did counseling with both of them until they could quit. I doubt your girl could claim the same ability at being drunkly sober as they could."

"No, probably not." He reread the file. "I'll talk to her tonight."

"We do have a therapist on staff for athlete needs. Beth can also find her a good rehab if you and she want."

"I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for telling me. Let me go talk to her and Linda." He left, going down to the gym. He walked in and sat on the small bleacher set, watching the team practice. He noticed his problem child as they were calling her was on the sidelines too. Linda glanced over but he waved. They needed practice. When they were finished with the scrimmage, he clapped. "Ladies, let's run drills."

Beth hopped up. "C'mon, I'll block, ladies. Let them talk about higher up stuff." They nodded, giving Linda a few sideways looks.

"Are you naturally a goalie?" the actual goalie asked with a smile.

"Nope. I'm naturally a center fullback usually." They all grinned and ran drills against Beth, letting her block shots. "Let's try that on the other side." They nodded, coming in from the other direction. That was a bit weaker for a few of them so they got back into line to make new shots. They moved back from there to longer distance shots.

Hank sighed, looking at Linda. "You got any opinion beyond stabbing her with her stiletto heels?"

"Not really. She's a good player but she's not great and her head is now bigger than an elephant's. She's going to end up getting some of us hurt."

"She will." He considered his options. "Fine. I'll give her the ultimatum." He whistled and waved at that one woman, who was trying to practice but no one would let her. "What do you think you're doing trying to run in high heels?" he demanded quietly. "This isn't the ho bowl, Samantha." He stared at her. "Your attitude and problems are getting out of hand. Do you remember what I told you when you joined the team?" Samantha huffed. "You have a choice of rehab or finding a new team. I can't have you endangering the others."

"Fine," she sneered, stomping off. "You'll be sorry you lost me. Not like you can find anyone with my skills."

"Beth seems to be good enough," Hank said dryly. "Since she's a backup player, I'm pretty sure I can find someone like her. You have a great life. When you turn in your passes, I'll give you your last paycheck and locker's stuff." She stomped off. Hank sighed. "Got anyone you've seen you like?"

Linda shook her head. "Not really. That'll leave us down during our next game but Gina's almost as good."

"We can work with her," Hank said. Linda nodded and they got up. He came down to look at them. "Ladies, an announcement." They stopped kicking the ball around. "Samantha's bull just got too deep to take. She didn't want to give up the nightlife so she's off the team. Gina, that means we need you to step up." She smiled and nodded. "We'll hold tryouts in a few weeks for the spot. Then we'll test them against you, Gina, to see who's first string."

"That's fine," Gina agreed, pushing back her ebony hair. She smiled at the others. "Beth, I guess we don't need as many single rooms."

Beth waved a hand. "I'll fix it when I get back to my office." She tossed the ball to Linda. "Anything I need to know? I can send out letters of interest to the main college programs."

"We can do that," Hank assured her with a smile. Beth nodded and left.

"Ladies, another point," Linda said, looking at them. "Beth has recently had some serious recruitment pressure from overseas. Like some others we've heard about."

"The 'come marry us, be our olympic team' pressure?" her goalie asked. Linda nodded. "Poor girl. The rest of you get that, let us know. That way we can protect you. They'd never take me because I'm not that pretty or that pure. A few of you are."

"Really?" Gina asked.

"Not so much for soccer," Hank said. "Most countries that want teams have teams. But single sports, or if you get well known, yeah it can happen. Ladies like Beth, who are in a low participation sport like fencing, they want them harder. Especially in places that are looking to build an olympic record."

"The Middle East likes girls like her," the goalie said. "She's pretty, probably not all that educated in guys, and she's good enough to make a team if there's no one above her."

"I thought the Middle East didn't like women to compete," another girl said.

"They don't want *girls* to participate," Hank said. "Wives aren't expected to be pure and they'd gladly marry a girl like Beth to give her a good social standing and backing to go to any games anywhere." They all nodded. "If any of you get that sort of notice, let us know."

"We can," Gina promised, looking around then back at him. "I don't think they'll get any of us."

"The best players get courted," Linda said. "Because most countries have good players but great players are rare." They all nodded. "Let's get back to drills. We have a game next week." The ladies got back to it while Hank worked on specific skills.
Chapter 4 by CE Dalton
Chapter 4


Beth leaned into the shooting range. "Al, got ten?" she called.

"He's in the gym," a female yelled.

"Thanks, Stephni." She headed for the gym, not in there. He was getting a snack. "Hey," she said, sitting at his table. He put down his sandwich to stare at her. "Your ex's lawyer dropped off an envelope for you." She slid it over. "I'm not sure why. No one's seen her in two weeks since she got banished."

He opened it, grimacing. "She's suing me for earnings." He looked at her. "She's also claiming that you're my mistress and have been since before the divorce."

Beth snorted. "I don't think anyone's going to believe that, Al. You like glamorous women who need valium. I'm not like that."

"You're very pretty. Quit putting yourself down," he ordered. He put the papers back into the envelope and into his back pocket. "Celia in today?"

"She's got a sprained ankle. She doesn't have a competition for at least three months so she's taking the week off to rest it." He nodded, digging in again. "Want me to get our legal team down to help you?"

"Nah. My lawyer loves to spar against hers. They're ex's too." He grimaced. She smiled. "If I need you to come yell at her, I'll let you know." She nodded and got up, heading off again. Al muttered a few swears before digging into his snack again. He sent a text message to Celia, who sent back 'no one would expect you to have a mistress, much less a pretty one like Beth'. He shook his head but Celia always knew what to say to calm him down when he really wanted to scream at his ex-wife. She had offered to kill her a few times too but he hadn't let her yet. He'd save that for something spectacular.

***

Beth reported to the Director's office. "Yes, Director Bell?"

He looked up. "Are you presently overloaded with your two singles and one team trainees?"

"No. Not really. The team's got a few difficult plans going on for traveling. Their one to Mexico is in the middle of almost nowhere so we're figuring out the route." She smiled. "Am I being given another trainee?"

"You are. He's...special. He was an athlete before but he got injured and had to retire. He's trying for the paralympics now." She nodded. "He was under Denise originally but she retired a few years before you came on."

"I can handle another trainee, Director. Which area?"

"Shooting."

"Then that's not a problem. I work very well with Al and some of the other shooters we have here when we're in there working on something."

"Good." He smiled. "He'll be here at two. Tell me if you need any special arrangements."

"I can do that." She left, checking her watch on the way to the elevator. She had about a half hour so she went back to the bus route to the middle of almost nowhere Mexico problem. She left it and went down to the front desk about ten minutes early. He showed up right on time. First she noticed he was tallish, fairly skinny, looked almost like an Arabic prince in an old painting at the nearby museum she visited on her breaks, and he had a dazzling hook on one hand. It had a few stones and was gold. "Hi, I'm Beth. I'm your new handler." She held out her left hand since his right one was injured.

He smiled. "I'm Richard." He shook it. "Am I your first?"

She laughed. "No, another shooter was. Al's in the range right now. I also have a figure skater and a soccer team."

He grinned. "That's good to know." He looked around. "They haven't changed much of anything in the six years I was gone."

"We put all the changes into the training areas and barely slapped on some paint to make down here look perky," she said. He laughed. "Let's get you signed in."

"We'd need his right index finger," the guard said.

Beth stared at him. "Use his left."

"We can't. The system won't take it."

"How do you do Reggie Bylar's? He's missing that fingertip."

"We have a special pass for him but the director won't let us hand out another one," he said. "It caused some yelling and two firings."

She looked up then at the poor guard. "Form." She held out a hand. "For right now, sign him in and I'll do the fingerprint stuff myself." He blushed but got the form for her. She shook her head, looking at him. "I'll get that straightened out while we do the tour and get you your ID."

"Sure," he agreed.

She smiled. "It's been a week."

"I've seen those. Especially during playoff season. We had a whole bunch of NBA guys the last time I was here."

"We have two teams now," she admitted. "Plus a lot trying out for national teams from college." He smiled and nodded. She took the forms up to the main office with him, giving him the tour on the way. "We have switched the range to the other side of the building," she warned. "You're up on the fourth floor now on the east side, over the gym." She let him in there with her pass. "I'm going to have to ask the stupid question, because I don't usually work with any of the paralympians. Do you need anything in here changed for your use?"

He looked around then shrugged. "I'm good but I might have a slight problem with the pass system. For some reason I can't slide things very well with my off-hand."

"Okay, if we need to we can work on that. Check the range specs and all that for me?" He nodded, going over to look. The pushbutton system to bring in targets worked well for him. The hanging system he could use, it was pretty standard. The other things were all right and his gear locker could be modified if he needed a modified pass. She took him up to the main office. "We need to see Director Bell first," she told the assistant up there. "Slight issue with his pass." She nodded and called in there then let them in. "Director, slight issue. We need him to have a modified pass since our system only allows right index fingerprints."

He winced. "I hadn't even thought about that, Richard."

He shrugged. "It happens. I don't expect everyone to suffer for me."

Beth handed over the form. "I know one of the male's soccer team has a missing fingertip. Also, the slide ones may be a bit hard for him to juggle."

"I thought about asking for a hole to be punched for my hook to fit through but I'm not sure if the card's big enough," Richard said.

Beth looked at hers then at the standard trainee one. "Mine is, and if we need to and that's a workable solution for you we can do it that way."

He smiled. "I was joking, Beth, but if that's how it works, that's great." She smiled. "You need to do that more often."

"I do. I can't crack jokes around you until I get to know you better. I don't want to make anyone gasp and fall down like I did to Al when I met him."

He snorted, shaking his head but smiling. "I'm all good with jokes. Even about the hook. That's why I got the pretty one."

She looked at it. "Could use some polishing. I'll see if our gear tech support guys have something for that." She patted him on it. He laughed.

The director smiled. "I knew you two would work well together."

"By the way, Director, Al's ex wife, the banished one, she sent a new lawsuit to him accusing him of withholding money from their divorce settlement and accusing me as his mistress since before the divorce."

He snorted, shaking his head. "If you were, the UAE guy wouldn't want you as hard." He filled out the form and signed off on it, handing it back to her. "They'll figure it out. I'll look into how to warp our system to take left index fingers as well. Hopefully it's just a drop down box switch." They nodded and she took him down to do that then back up to get his ID.

On the way back, they ran into Celia and Al. "Guys, this is Richard, he's my new trainee. This is Al, who is also a shooter, and Celia, who is a figure skater. They're my first two trainees to handle."

Richard smiled and shook their hands. "Nice to meet you both."

Al grinned. "I'm heading to the range now if you wanted to share space. I never mind but I know some people are picky."

"I'm good with sharing. They won't let me shoot in most regular comps with my hook so I'm doing paralympics."

Al nodded. "They need more good athletes. A lot of people give up, and I understand why, but a lot have potential they never find."

"They do," he agreed. "Beth, I can head back with them."

"All right. I'll set you up with a trainer for the gym. Do you need any PT time for any existing problems like a shoulder strain or a back injury?"

"No. I lost it in a car crash." He looked at his hook then at her. "I'm okay in the gym."

"We all have trainers we check in and log in details with," Al said, walking off with him. Celia took Richard's other side. "They don't nag but they keep track of our weights and times, and if we're skipping too many they tell our handlers so she can counter things when we whine about getting worse."

Richard grinned. "I've seen that happen before as well."

Beth got a call. "Beth DeSandra." She listened. "That's great. Which gym are we converting for them?" She walked off. "I can check the schedule and make sure. Give me two and I'll be down there." She hung up. "Al, your friend's ex the gymnast is coming here."

"Great. She's a really nice lady but she's all business and needs to learn what fun is."

"Cool." She checked the gym schedule, then nodded and picked one. It'd only inconvenience one group and they hardly ever used the gym. They used the other facilities. She called them to let them know so they knew to call in before they needed that gym so they could put the gymnastics equipment up and pull their volleyball nets out.

***

Beth was out on a date with one of her fellow college students. He was a bit older, but not too much older. He wasn't into sports, was getting a business degree, and seemed to want to interview her about her company more than speak to her about other things. It was overall a pretty bad date. Though she did get to wax poetic about her sport so that was nice. She sipped her iced tea, putting the glass back down. "I know you graduate soon. Have you decided on what sort of company you're going to try for?"

"I thought about opening just a regular gym but I'm not sure how practical that is."

"From what I've seen around, you need a good hook to get people in. Specialist classes or equipment they can't find other places but want. Or you can start with a Planet Fitness franchise and work up from there. Going with an established company would give you good reputation and let you network with suppliers and professionals who can give classes."

He nodded. "I thought about that but they're pretty expensive."

"Starting up any business is expensive in this city. Have you seen the rents? I thought about moving away from the center but I couldn't afford even the smallest slum with bugs."

He nodded. "I've got four roomies," he agreed with a grimace. "Maybe going with an established one would be for the best."

"If worst comes to worst, work at one while you build up money. You'll still get the networking in but less stress. There's a ton of regulations you have to deal with, including specifics of how you clean and sanitize the towels. The Reed Center had to switch equipment two years ago because the health department hated our older sanitizer equipment for it." She took another sip then a bite of dinner.

"I hadn't even thought about that." She nodded. "They have to okay it?"

"They have to okay the cleaning, the towels and stuff, and if you have something like a sauna or pool they do those too."

"A lot I haven't thought about," he admitted. He waved at the waiter, getting the check put down. He paid it, she paid her half with a smile. "Thanks, Beth."

"Welcome. I know how small the college guy wallet is. I have one of those myself."

"How many hours are you doing?"

"This semester? Six. This summer I'll be cramming in some of the online mandatories they'll be offering so I can get about twenty-four out of the way over the multiple summer sessions. I just won't sleep for a few months." She took one last bite and put down the tip, letting him help her into her jacket so they could leave. They walked outside, looking around. "So," she said.

He grinned. "Go for a walk?"

"Sure, I can do that." He walked off with her, heading for the local park. She was glancing around but it'd be okay. She could defend both of them if she had to.

"Heavy thoughts?"

"Making sure there's no muggers." She smiled. "Nothing ruins a nice dinner like having to deal with muggers."

"True." He led her off to a bench that was slightly out of the way. He settled down, smiling at her. "Do you often go on dates?"

"No. You're my third date in the last two years." She shrugged some. "I've been pretty busy. I had a few in high school but I was also doing two sports. Most guys don't like women who handle swords."

He laughed. "Some probably are threatened. Some of us not so much." He leaned over to kiss her, and she accepted it until someone cleared their throat and waved his knife. "Oh, I don't believe this."

"Dear, I have two weapons on me that're bigger than that steak knife," she said dryly. "And I'm a brown belt in a martial arts. Just...go." She pointed. "Now please." He tried to menace them so she stood up and kicked him around a bit. "I warned you," she said dryly. She smiled at her date. "C'mon, we can go back to walking."

"Sure. I'll take you back to the cars so you're not in danger."

"That's fine. Thank you." She smiled at him, walking back talking about classes. It was apparently only going to be a first date. She kissed him again but he just smiled and left. Yup, only a first date. Guys really were scared of women who could handle swords.
Chapter 5 by CE Dalton
Chapter 5

Beth was with Al and Richard at a shooting match to help them when Al was called up for his first shot. He paused and shook his head. Beth walked over. "Problems? Wrong gun?"

"Someone's screwed with it again." He looked at the judge. "Someone's screwed with my scope and barrel sight." They came over to look. "I had everything under lock."

"Let me check your other things and get your toolkit from your bag," Beth said, jogging over there. This was really bad. She looked. "Al?" she called. "Do you have your bag for your skeet gun?"

"No," he said, walking over. He looked. "That's that bag...I'm still missing one," he realized, pulling them out. "Richard!" he bellowed. He came jogging over. "I can't see your bags."

Beth found them for him. One of the judges was watching them checking them over. Beth spotted something. "We have an unbagged gun," she said with a point.

"That's good because this one's not mine," Richard said, holding it up. "No modification."

Beth looked at the judges and the others coming over. She held up the unbagged gun by the trigger guard. "Anyone claim this one?" One person raised his hand. "Where's your bag?" He found them and the gun that was in there that was Richard's. "Great. Okay, guys, I'm going to have you both check your weapons. I'll put them beside me so no one can tamper," she told the judge. "I'm their handler from the Reed Center," she said when someone else opened their mouth to comment.

"She can guard mine too," one of the female shooters said.

"Gladly." She handed Al his toolkit. He went to take apart his scope to look at it. She looked at the judges.

"We'll see who's been fiddling," he promised. "We're going to call a break so everyone can examine their weapons and put in any reports of tampering or missing ones." They all nodded and the rest of the athletes came to check over their gear. Beth settled in her seat on the stands with the weapons around her, and got Al sitting down with his scope. It was easier to fix on a flat surface.

Al shook his head. "I don't know what they did right off."

She looked through it. "It's got fisheye." She looked at them then pointed. "That's backwards."

He took out the lens to check then put in properly. "That's not my lens," he said. "It's got vision correction." One of the judges winced. A few people were checking their scopes and one came up to get their missing lens but his wasn't found.

Beth rubbed his arm, making Al look at her. "I've seen you make that distance without a scope before," she said quietly. "I've seen you do it just showing off and for real. Can you do it here?"

He looked then nodded. "I can. This isn't my long distance rig." He got up to check over his gun again. Beth found his long distance one to look at. Same lens problem so she switched that lens around for him. He came over to check it and nodded. "Thanks, Beth."

"You taught me well," she quipped with a grin. "Go be brilliant so you can brag to Celia and the others."

He nodded, going to talk to the judges. "I can make this without a scope."

"We'll allow it and make note on the forms," one of them promised. "Is it able to be fixed?"

"If I get another lens."

They nodded. "Do you want to withdraw?"

"My others are fine as far as I can tell. I only have this and long distance today since skeet got shoved to tomorrow."

"Good. We can allow that." Al nodded, going to take his mark so he could shoot.

Richard sat down beside Beth, putting his bags on her other side. "I checked, all mine appear to be normal and my scopes are fine. His are more open for tinkering than mine are."

She patted him on the arm. "We'll handle it and I'll be borrowing your big combat boots to stomp on whoever did that for you guys." He grinned, putting an arm around her shoulders. She looked up at him. "You know, my adopted father may make you make him promises if you get too cuddly."

He laughed. "Major Bill doesn't scare me, Beth. He's a good dad for you." She smiled and they watched Al fire. His first was slightly off but he had a practice shot he could use. The ones that counted were all spot on. "He's good."

She nodded. "He is. Great job, Al," she called, clapping when he was done. He smiled and sat down with his gun to clean while the next guy got into position. She handed him his toolkit and scope. He got them put up with a new lock put onto his case. He didn't usually worry about such things but some people were jealous assholes. Beth glanced at the people whispering about Al making those shots without a scope then at Al. Who just grinned and shifted up to sit next to her. He went over his next gun in detail. That one was fine, the case had still been locked. Beth shoulder nudged him, making him look at her. "Some people hate to see greatness," she said quietly.

"I know. That's why the trifling hos start on you." She grinned. "When's your next comp?"

"I got invited to nationals again this year. I turned down last year but one of the top two just announced a retirement in three years so I need to get my name up there."

"We'll come clap," he promised, shoulder nudging her back. She grinned.

"Nationals for what?" Richard asked.

"She fences."

"Ah! It's a grand old sport, full of titles and wealth."

"And politics," she quipped. The guys smiled at her. "But we'll see. I'm presently ranked fifth in the nation." Richard stared, mouth slightly open. "That's why certain people," she said with a delicate point at one's back. "Have been sending me letters."

Al shook his head. "They should've learned when you killed someone trying to get free of the kidnaping. Proves they need better education."

"You say some of the sweetest things," she said with a smile for him. He laughed but shrugged. His competitor was finally ready and took his shots at the target.

***

Beth reported to the main office once they got back from the shooting event. "Reports on who the police there arrested for tampering with the weapons. He leads back this group," she said with a point at one section. "Though he would not say who hired him."

The director grimaced as he read them over. "Al's scope?"

"Needs a new lens. They couldn't find his. He's called his scope maker to get one. Should be about the end of the week. His sponsors sent him a congratulations basket on taking second without a scope during that one event."

"That's really good," he agreed. He handed them back. "Richard's?"

"Only one was slightly tampered with and he was able to fix it. He took first place for his groups." She handed over the score sheets. He smiled. "Richard has another event in three days and here is my vacation forms for nationals."

"You're going?" he asked, staring at her.

She stared back. "One of the top two is retiring in three years so they need to start getting to know me."

"Good point." He signed them off and handed them back. "Is that going to interfere with your job?"

"I usually take four days off a year for events, Director Bell. Even for Nationals. Most of the rest I adjust my schedule." She smiled. "Is it a problem for the center?"

"No. Not until you graduate. Senior handlers aren't expected to be competitors."

"Thankfully I still have years of classes at my current rate of two a semester," she said dryly. He rolled his eyes. "Who knows, maybe by then you'll be able to brag about having a medal winner on staff. Everyone knows fencing needs new blood." She walked off to file those in the appropriate areas and make sure her trainees knew she'd be out of the area during those times. She was on her way to the shooting range and got paused by Celia, who was happy about her new routine and needed a favor arranged for an interview. Beth promised to do that and headed off while typing an email into her phone for PR.

She opened the shooting pen's door and blinked at the blonde woman who was apparently riding Richard's hook and begging hard for more. She carefully stepped back and closed the door as silently as she could. She was blushing hard but she did put out a memo to all her people to remember to lock the doors if they were doing something...intense that needed privacy in the gym areas, or the changing rooms, and that while frustration cures weren't technically allowed no one really cared if they did or not as long as it was consensual and made them happy. She sent that memo to all her trainees then went to hide in the weight room.

Up the hall, Al got the memo when he came in and paused to read it. He shook his head. "Who was screwing where this time?" he muttered as he went to his gym. He found out because that blonde was pretty and Richard glanced back at him. "Sorry, Richard. Put a tie on the doorknob next time, okay?" He closed the door and decided to have an early snack today and then go to the weight room. He met Celia down there. "The new memo from Beth thanks to Richard?"

"Hmm," she agreed, smiling at him as she ate some yogurt with blueberries. "Probably," she said once she had swallowed. "Was she pretty?"

"Yes, she was." Al shook his head. "Beth hiding?"

"Still blushing like a virgin. If she could suppress that fewer people would realize she was." She ate another bite.

"She just needs a good lover," Al said. Celia nodded that was true while chewing on some blueberries. "I never really thought about how you'd have sex while using a hook." He ate a bite of his usual sandwich.

She paused, licking her spoon's back. "Attachments? Or at least something to blunt the sharp point?"

"He'd have to have something to blunt the point," he agreed. "I don't know if anyone could make attachments for a hook." They shared a look and grinned then got back to their lunches. Celia spotted the blonde strolling off. She nudged him and he nodded that was her. "Guess the shooting pen's free," he quipped.

"She was pretty," Celia agreed.

"I don't poach. That's not the guy I am, Celia. You know that." He blew a kiss as he walked off eating his sandwich on the way to the shooting pen. Richard was back in there. "Just lock the doors," he said when he spotted him reading the memo he had been sent.

"Is she that uptight?"

"You probably freaked her out a bit. She's still boyfriendless and nineteen," Al said. "She still blushes a lot too."

"Still!" He looked at him. "Why?"

"Let's see, she went from her aunt, who was pressuring her to make a bid for the national team she didn't qualify for so she could get product endorsements, who incidentally introduced her to her adoptive father, Major Bill, when looking for an individual coach for her. He took her in and realized that fencing was her happier sport, even though they don't get product placements. He kept her aunt away from her thanks to her aunt's shitty attitude. He got her a job here as a trainee handler back when she was sixteen." Richard slumped, staring at him. "That plus high school, and he didn't let her slack there either, and training for later events. She didn't have time. Now it's two college courses at a time, all of us, and no life in her apartment upstairs." He shrugged. "She needs to fix that. Maybe that guy in the UAE would leave her alone if she did."

"Probably. So I really freaked her out?"

"The same as anyone having sex can freak out virgins, man. Don't worry about it. Though there are two underage trainee handlers presently training and one does work with the female shooters." Richard winced. "She's fourteen I want to say. Former gymnast but won't get beyond college level so she's looking at her future as a coach."

"Good to know. I'll apologize."

"Just lock the door next time," Al said dryly. "It works and we all realize you're not the first to have sex in the gyms." Richard grinned. "Though we were trying to figure out if you used something like a foil tip blunting sheath or not. Celia thought you might have specially built appliances."

Richard burst out laughing, shaking his head. "No, I can't find anyone who can build the hook a vibrator." He patted Al on the back. "Thank you."

"Welcome. She was pretty and most of us don't poach. Except one of the soccer guys and two of the trainers."

"I'll keep that in mind. That's my wife."

"Then that's all good for us," Al quipped with a smirk. "Beth won't have a problem."

"I'll remember to lock the door next time. She just got back from an assignment."

"That's good." He patted him on the arm. "I've got to go over my spare scopes."

"Want the overhead lights on?"

"Nah, I use the workbench over here." He grabbed his stuff and settled in while Richard worked on a weak spot at a longer range. He'd talk to Beth in a few hours, once she had quit blushing.
Chapter 6 by CE Dalton
Chapter 6


Beth opened her apartment door, staring at her adopted father. She let him in. "What's up?"

"The director is wondering if you taking the subsidized apartment means you never take time off."

"Is he still in his mood where he's scowling that I still compete?"

"He is," Major Bill said, looking around. He was a bit tough on her but he was like that and she had accepted his limits for the most part; though she had begged for some later curfews since he had started her out at nine at night. He looked at her again. "You could live in a regular apartment."

"Not if I want to eat and pay dues," she said dryly. She flopped down in her chair, staring up at him. "Apartments locally are at least fifteen hundred for a hole, Bill."

"I know. I pointed that out. He huffed." He sat down. "He's not sure if he's comfortable with you competing."

"I do pay dues."

"I pointed that out as well. He grimaced and looked up that fact since he thought it was included as one of the perks."

"Gym time yes, actual training time, no," she said.

"That's what I told him, and that we have a few others that are still in real training but they don't work with anyone in their field."

"Neither do I. Cecily and I train against each other but we're both due paying."

"I'll work on him." She smiled. "How is your training going? I haven't heard you complaining about the uniform getting tight again."

"I finally quit growing," she quipped with a smile.

"That's a good thing." He looked her over. "We need to find you a boyfriend."

"Well, yeah," she agreed, curling up some. "But I'm not sure where I'd fit one. Not like I can stuff them in the minuscule closet."

Bill shook his head, rolling his eyes while looking up. "How about they sleep in your bed instead of your closet, Beth?"

"I had plans of it but there's not many guys who want to date people who do hardcore training stuff. I've flirted with a few of the trainers but they're not my type. They're very...loose."

"I've noticed. It's a problem a lot of athletes have." He stared at her. "What about when you do graduate?"

"I'm only twenty hours into the hundred and fifty I need for the full degree plan I'd need to be a senior handler." He winced. "By the end of summer, I'll be at forty-seven because I can take a few extra online then. I've already registered." She reached over to grab her laptop, handing it to him once she had that open.

He nodded. "Not a bad idea and the extra classes are the pointless mandatories." He put it onto the table and shifted to look at her better. "What about the boys on campus?"

"I have classes with a few athletes. They're leeches who like to party. They don't understand about non-contact sports," she finished blandly, making him smile. "I flirted with one but they didn't know what fencing was outside of the stuff you put around your yard. When I explained it, they decided that wasn't really a sport even though it's in the olympics. They think the same thing about ice skating and all those non-football things." He shook his head. "They're not interested in anything else. They hooked up with wanna be cheerleaders."

Bill nodded. "Girls like that get guys who play football. You're meant for better ones."

"Hey, find me one," she said dryly.

"I've looked. Even among the other trainers I know. The only one I'd think you'd get along with is almost sixty."

"I'm not into that," she said.

"I know." He smirked a tiny bit. "Are you ready for nationals?"

"Yes. I was also helping Burt train for his too. He and Cecily were both stressing. They'll do fine. I don't see either of them moving up very far in the ranks this year. The guys have the same politics problem we have in women's."

He nodded. "That makes sense. We all wish there was less politics in sports." She nodded quickly, smiling a tiny bit. "Are you moving up?"

"Yes. I've been holding back some because I realized about the politics and it was my first year in the adult class. This time I'm being ruthless. That's the only way they'll remember me when there's the retirement opening."

He nodded. "They could both retire."

"That'd be nice." He smiled. "It would."

"It would. They've been hogging it for nearly a decade." He shifted to cross his feet. "I noticed your schedule got changed."

She waved a hand in the air. "I *so* had a fit on her for that. Including that she had no right to change my schedule without my permission. She was complaining about a wedding and I pointed out that she had days off too and none of her people came in on the weekends anyway. She huffed off to the director, who agreed that I was right. I had filed first and she had no right to change my schedule. I changed it back and posted it in the system while he watched. She's still trying to snub me."

"I had a talk with her highness earlier. The wedding's only a day long and I pointed out the same issue with her not being here on weekends. She's still huffy because she's washed up and shouldn't even be a trainer."

"I'm not going to comment on her lack of skills, lack of gym time, and lack of understanding her athletes."

He smiled. "Not snarky at all," he quipped back. She smiled. "What about the ESPY awards?"

"I'm not going," she said. "There's no reason for me to go. None of mine are nominated. I'm not nominated," she said dryly. He smiled. "If I'm wanted by someone to go with them I'll consider it but I might need a new dress."

He nodded. "Good point." He stood up and kissed her on the top of the head. "Sleep. You look tired." He left. She got up to relock the door then went to lay down. Her tv was in her bedroom so she could watch something. She was tired. In the next three days she had training time and then going to Illinois for the next hearing with her soccer player. She stared at the tv, trying to find something else. "Cooking shows and romantic comedies. Yay," she complained, turning it off so she could rest. She could use some extra sleep.

***

Beth was out at the grocery store, trying to find something she wanted to eat. With it being late fall, there were almost no fresh fruit or vegetables. She went to the frozen ones instead. At least there were frozen berries. She grabbed a few frozen waffles and coffee creamer to mix for a good topping. Then she grabbed some juice and checked out.

"Aren't you supposed to eat better since you're still *training*?" a female voice sneered.

Beth looked back at her. "I do eat better than this usually. I wanted waffles tonight since I've got to fly out in a few days." She paid for her groceries and took the reusable bags with a smile for the cashier. "Have a good day, Bera." The cashier smiled back. Beth strolled back to the center. She was off today and no one expected to see her doing anything unless there was an emergency. She walked in with a nod to the guards, running her pass. They smiled at her and one held the elevator for her. "Thank you, Chuck."

She got on and went up to her apartment, finding a note taped to the door. She opened it and carried things in then came back to get the note. The 'die, bitch' part of the note was a cartoon. "How very mature," she said, putting it onto the table. She called her father's cellphone. "It's me," she chirped. "I'm doing frozen waffles for dinner if you wanted to join me and pick up the hate note I just found on my door." She listened.

"Grocery shopping. What's going on?" She frowned. "Great," she muttered. "I'll go to the head office and bring it myself. See you there." She hung up and finished putting things up then locked her door before heading up to the office. She nodded at the assistant who pointed at the office. She walked in without knocking, handing over the folded note. "Found it on my door after getting groceries. I thought we were more mature."

The director looked at it then at her. "Any idea?"

"Marjorie was sneering at the store about my diet." She shrugged. "It's a bad statement for the two young trainee handlers to see but I think the girls are both more mature than that group." She looked at the man in the visitor's chair. "Antonio Dala." She shook his hand. "I thought you had retired."

"I'm bored," he said with a smirk. "I'm contemplating buying the center."

She stared at him. "Why would you ruin the careers of others?" she asked. "The attention that follows you would ruin a lot of careers here, and that's not how a real athlete works." The director choked. She smiled. "For that matter, even if you did buy the center, a lot of us would leave and start our own."

Mr. Dala, who was a dark skinned, long haired cover model looking man, laughed. "I like you. I've heard about you. Major Bill took you in when your aunt wanted you to make her money."

"She wanted to be an aunt-ager or a pseudo-momager. I wasn't into that and Major Bill was very good to me. He's still very good at being a father." She stared at him, crossing her arms over her chest. "Why are you really here since your stated reason isn't practical? Your ex-wife would never allow that much money out of your account without complaining to your company and trying to shut it down again."

"Hilda is all for me getting back into sports," he said, staring at her. "Me buying the center isn't a bad idea. Why do you think I'd ruin careers?"

"Because you'd bring the wrong attention and a lot of ours aren't in sports that get coverage in the press. Even with two former olympians here, they don't get that sort of attention." She stared him down. "All you'd do is drive them nuts with the attention problems."

He stood up, staring at her. "It could bring good notice to their sports."

"Or it could drive them nuts and make them go practice in other places," she said. "No one can practice with the press on their heels."

He nodded. "That's a good point," he said. "What if I kept down the press?" She snorted, starting to laugh. "I can do that. They don't know I'm here."

"When I came in there were two news vans up the street," she said dryly. He sat down with a grimace. "If you want to practice here, we'd welcome an athlete of your skill. Two of mine are shooters, one's an ice skater, and one's a female soccer team." He grinned. "Who don't flirt with anyone. They're serious."

"I get that," he said. "You could take me on."

"I'm not a senior handler. I know nothing about your sport."

"You can learn."

"Sure, I can do that between my college courses and my own training," she said dryly. He sat up straighter. She smiled. "I'll keep fencing until I graduate then decide." She looked at the director, who rolled his eyes and shook his head. Then she smiled at him again. "I still know nothing about your diving. I picked up enough ice skating by reading, talking to Celia, and watching Major Bill handling his two. I don't know even the first thing about the dives, the scoring, the regulations, or anything like it. There's a few handlers who do handle divers and swimmers. I'd recommend Miranda. She's a bit flirty but not with her athletes."

He stared at her. "I also do triathalons in my spare time."

She quirked up an eyebrow. "Going to change over officially?"

"I don't think I can do both at the same time."

"Probably not," she agreed. "We have facilities to help you train but I'm not the handler for you, Mr. Dala. I wish you good luck and good training." She bowed slightly and looked at the director. "Let me get back to my day off." She smiled. "By your leave?"

"I want her," Antonio said.

The director looked at her. "I could move Celia from your group."

"Celia and I get along very well," she said firmly. "I can actually help her when her coach isn't there. She doesn't cause me a lot of work. Before you say it, the soccer team is well integrated with me. Not a lot of handlers would be there for Alba when she needs someone to help her with the trial."

"I only plan on going one day a week right now, but in two weeks I have time to start intense training."

"Which is right when I'm due at Nationals," she said bluntly, staring at him. He gaped. "I'm actually going this year because the politics might be easing since we've got one confirmed retirement coming up after the next olympics."

"You're that good?" he asked.

"I'm rated fifth in the country," she said with a smile. "I work hard for that."

"Good. That means I made a good choice. I tend to slack off if someone doesn't ride my ass."

She stared at him for a moment. "No matter how many bimbos you've had in the press, I'm not that sort of trainer," she said bluntly but dryly. He gaped. She stared at him. "I may *need* a boyfriend to get the UAE off my butt, but not that much." He started to laugh. She huffed but looked at the director. "I don't have the time to take him on unless I give up on the college classes I need to continue to keep working here. Even if I knew anything about diving, I don't have the time, sir. I'm sorry."

He stared at her. "I can move Al and Richard."

"No, you can't," she said. "I like them. They're friends. I work well with them and I trust them in case something happens, like me being kidnaped from the facility again. I'm pretty sure if Al had been here that day they wouldn't have gotten me out of the building." The director winced.

"They did?" Antonio asked.

She nodded. "Yup. I had to kill two people to get free and then the FBI had to get into it because they had me in their embassy. It became a huge mess because I needed a boyfriend and haven't had one."

"I can date you in the press so they'll leave you alone," he offered sarcastically.

She stared at him. "No one would believe I'd date you. You're too old for me, you're not the geeky sort that I like, and you're a bit too pretty for guys I like. Thank you for the offer, it's sweet." She smiled. "It's not the first, but even when I tried it they still got pissy and sent more letters saying I was obviously ready to finally marry one of that family."

Antonio shuddered. "They suck when they do that." He looked at the director then at her. "One day a week?"

"Sure, if I can get some sort of device to let me take my college courses by robotic assistance. I don't have time. I'm sorry but I don't have time. Even if I gave up my own training, I might not have time. I have three classes each of the summer sessions to knock out some of the mandatories." The director winced. "That'll put me at nearly fifty hours if I pass them all this summer out of the hundred-fifty I need to graduate."

He nodded. "I know how hard it is."

"You have a coach."

"Had. He likes my ex-wife more. That's who she cheated with to break us up."

She nodded. "Sometimes women go searching but it's still a trifling thing to do." Someone stormed in and started to rant about her. "Hey, right here!" she shouted at the same volume the other trainer was using, making the woman stare at her. "I supposedly did what?"

"You've been dating athletes," she sneered.

"I'm not dating anyone, Brittney. I don't have time to date. When do you think I have all this free time going on? I have more trainees than you do, who often have more work to get done, and college courses, plus my own training. You think I have time to date?" Brittney sneered and took a swing at her. Beth took her down properly and stared down at her. "I did martial arts in high school to control my temper at the trifling hos I went to school with. It's good to see that people like that do more than become trophy wives."

"Beth, off," Major Bill said from the doorway. Beth got off her. "Nice hold position but a bit awkward."

"The desk was in the way for me to properly throw her down and make her beg," she shot back, pushing back her hair. "She said I'm supposedly dating."

"If you were, the UAE family wouldn't still want you," he said, staring at her. "It's sad that the junior trainer has more trainees to work with and still does more than a full trainer. You only have two athletes to work with and you still can't get things done on time. I've written you up at least three times in the last week alone, Brittney. I lost track in there when I was writing up your whole pack of jealous, petty pains in the butt." He looked at the director. "We need better trainers so we can get their whole pack out of here. Before they make us look bad." He looked at the man in the guest chair. Then at his daughter. He shook his head. "You're not a good solution to her problem with that family, unfortunately."

"He wants me to be his handler," she said. "I don't have time."

Major Bill nodded. "You don't. I'm assigning one of the trainee handlers to help you with the soccer team. They need to learn how to handle team sports since she wants to be a coach." She nodded, smiling at him. "Not the young one. Amanda."

"That's fine. Amanda's got a good work ethic, she's a former athlete herself, and she keeps in training shape even though she's not."

"She's training to do a marathon right now." She smiled at him for that. "I think helping your team would help her a lot and you are one of the best at making competition plans." Beth nodded. "Good." He looked at the man again. "Mr. Dala, which sport are you training for?"

"I do triathalons for the moment but I'm looking to get back into olympic diving shape."

Major Bill nodded. "We have two trainers that used to be divers. One you used to compete against."

"I know him. We cannot work together. I've tried to drown him once or twice."

"I'm fierce about conduct rules," Beth warned him. She sighed, looking at Bill.

"That would give you time to work with him, yes. You may have to juggle your own training time now and then." She nodded. He looked at him. "After nationals?"

"I only need gym time before then," he decided, looking at her. "If you'll accept?"

She sighed but nodded. "I guess I can handle that," she agreed. "It'll mean I need to study up on diving but I can do that. It's what good handlers do."

He smiled and nodded, holding out a hand. "Thank you."

She shook it. "Do remember that I'm not a coach and I'm not all that nice when things go wrong." She stared at him.

"I know."

"Okay. Now, it's my day off." She looked at the director, who waved her off. "Thank you. I'm going to go make waffles for dinner." She looked at Bill.

"Wait an hour and I'll be up there, Beth." She smiled and left. He looked at the sobbing wench on the carpet. Then at the director. "We have six in that pack."

"We can't lose six handlers."

"We're about to lose a lot more because they've been trying to climb the ladder and pissing off most everyone. They don't handle hardly anyone anyway. Julia graduates in three weeks. She can take on four of the ten they handle."

"How do six people only handle ten trainees when Beth's handling six on her own?" Antonio asked.

"Beth's got a good work ethic and knows what it means to train. Most of these stopped at college sports to pay for their degrees and weren't all that interested then." He looked at the director again.

"I'll handle it, Bill."

"Thank you. I'll calm Marjorie and Amanda down." He nodded and walked off. He brought Amanda up to dinner with him. They had to get to know her better.

"Wow," Antonio said. "I remember when we were all considered boring."

"Most of us still are," the director said with a smile. "Just not all of us." He glared at his handler. "Let me get you signed back up, Mr. Dala." He nodded, doing the paperwork and paying his fees. That let the director handle the idiot wench and her pack.
Chapter 7 by CE Dalton
Chapter 7


Beth stepped off the strip during her last match, saluting her former opponent, then the judge, and the audience. "Good job," she said, shaking her hand.

"You too," she said, smiling behind her mask. "I hope you get moved up, Beth," she said quietly.

She smiled back. "Me too." They nodded to the judges and sat down to watch the results go up. Beth had won her match. It had been a long one but not her longest this time. She was on her second day of competition. She looked back at the cheering because her name was up on the medal board. She smiled, waving a tiny wave at Richard, Al, and Celia. Major Bill had to travel with one of his athletes who was having troubles.

The judges looked at the next group. "We have an uneven number," they said. "We'll have to do a bye situation."

"Why not ask one of the women?" one of the guys asked. "At least it'll be a match. You can put one of the lesser rated ones against them."

"I can use a saber," Beth noted. "I'm not too tired for that. My sword's here." A few others spoke up. The judges talked and nodded, pointing at her. She was the higher rated of those. She got up to grab her saber, coming over to get her opponent. Their piste was off to the side. She saluted him, the judge, then the audience properly. Her opponent did the same. They moved forward and she took the first point. Then the second. Her opponent got the next one but she managed a near-hit. He was huffy but yay. She kept up, winning the match a few minutes later. She saluted him with a smile. "Thank you."

He nodded. "Thank you." He shook her hand. "You're very good."

She smiled, taking off her mask after the mandatory salutes. "I try." He gaped. She grinned at the judge, getting a nod. "If you need me again, I'll be on the seats." She walked off to get some water.

The rest of the group was evenly matched so that was fine. She could watch. She looked over at one of the top two giving an interview off to the side. "I might not retire," she was saying with a smile at the other women. "There's some competitors that I've never fenced against. There's a lot of talent I haven't tried myself against yet." She caught Beth staring at her. "I don't know you but you're one I want to work against sometime."

"Yes you do. I was the one who took your record in the Junior nationals." She smiled back. "I was waiting on the upper ranges to loosen up so there was room."

The reporter looked at her. "You're..."

"Beth DeSandra."

"Oh. I've heard of you. You're a handler at the Reed Center."

"I am a junior handler, and a trainee there."

"Does your college have a fencing team?"

"No. I'm not taking enough hours at a time even if there was."

"So you want to take her position here?"

"Some year I'll get up there. Until then, I'll take third in the US." She smiled.

"Maybe next year, DeSandra," the other fencer quipped with a smile for her.

"Sure. I'm more than ready to step in if we need someone at the Worlds." The other fencer shuddered a tiny bit. Beth sat back. She felt someone touch her shoulder and smiled at Al, taking the water he handed her. "Thanks, Al."

"Welcome. You do good, kid."

"I try." She sipped her water. She had one last group to go. Then she was done for the weekend.

***

Richard walked up to where Beth was sipping a soda and eating an appetizer at the semi-nice restaurant. He sat down. "I didn't expect fencing to be that hard."

"It's a lot of work but also some politics." She smiled at him and then Al when he sat down. "Thanks for coming for me, guys."

"Bill couldn't," Richard said. "It's important to have friends at important events."

Al smiled, hugging her. "Third in the nation is great, Beth."

She smiled. "Thanks." They ordered dinners and talked about how you fenced and what the differences between the swords were.

That national level fencer sat down in the free seat at the table. She stared at her. "You interrupted."

"No, I was staring at you oddly for that bs response." She stared at her. "We both know that things are wrong."

"We do," she agreed. "I'll come back in a few years."

Beth nodded. "Cool. By then I'll have to retire because I'll be a full time handler." She ate a fry then swallowed. "You did good today, but your footing was odd. Is your leg cramping a lot?"

"It is," she admitted. "You're a handler?"

"Yes. Junior handler. I have to finish the degree to be a full handler." She pulled out a card. "One of the guys, myself, and Cecily all train there." She slid it over. "So do these two, who are both shooters. I handle them."

She nodded at them. "Shooting has to be easier."

"Sometimes," Richard agreed with a smile. "Not always. We have trifling hos to quote Beth."

Beth nodded. "Yes there are. One of the women had a boyfriend in another sport try to screw her up."

The other fencer shook her head. "I'm glad I have a fencing club behind me."

"There's none near me," Beth admitted. "But I like training at the center. We have the gym and everything else to go along with it."

"Really?" she asked.

Al smiled and nodded. "We have gym trainers assigned to us to keep track of our goals. We have gyms to train in, and all sorts of perks, including a caf on site to snack from for free up to a limit. They spoil us rotten but it's a diverse group. She helps a soccer team."

"I got given Amanda to help train her in handling a team," Beth said.

"Congrats," Al said with a smile back. "When we get back, are you handling the moving for that one bobsledder that's going to the olympic training center?"

"I've already done most of it for him, including explaining all the financials he'll need to him and his mom. He'll do good." She smiled. "It'll be tight but he'll make it."

The other fencer shook her head. "I'm glad my club's not that complicated. Good luck next year, DeSandra."

"You as well. I hope the leg cramps get solved soon." She shook her hand. The other fencer left. Beth relaxed, sighing a tiny bit. She looked at the guys, who shrugged back. "Next year maybe I'll take a higher spot."

"Maybe," Al agreed. "There wasn't that much room between you two." She smiled. "Did they count you down on purpose?"

"Not the first time if they did but I don't know. I've got a copy of my tapes to go over for those." They nodded, letting her move so their dinners could be delivered. They all needed a good dinner.

***

Beth put her certificate in the handler's honor box in the lobby, then locked it back up so she could hand security the key. She smiled at the person staring at her. "Yes, Director Bell?"

He stared at her. "Did they cheat on her behalf?"

"It's all politics. We're a few microns apart in the season totals." She smiled. "They also ignored a yellow card violation for her." The director winced. She shrugged. "It happens. It's all politics."

"What if they need you on the team as the alternate for the Worlds?" he asked.

She smiled. "I'll be handing you nice leave paper forms, Director. Hopefully ones for Major Bill as well."

He nodded. "We welcome you going higher, Beth. You're good at fencing." He patted her on the arm then walked off. She handed over the key with a smile and went up to her office. The director got called down a second after she got there due to the screaming going on. He stomped in and found Beth trying to get away from two poisonous snakes. "Someone shoot them!" he ordered.

"Not that accurate, sir," one of the guards said. "They're blocking her from moving."

"We have nine shooters that practice here, go find one!" the director shouted. The guard ran off to the shooting grounds. "Beth, calm down. Try to shift this way."

"I did try that, it nearly got me bitten, which is when I screamed. They came down out of the ceiling." She pointed up.

Richard leaned in with a handgun. He shot both snakes. "Beth, you good?"

"No!" she said, sounding a bit hysterical. He helped her out of the mess and the guards got to look for other snakes. Which Richard shot for them while Major Bill helped Beth down to the infirmary to have her checked over. Beth finally calmed down. "I'm glad they didn't bite me when they fell on me."

"What triggered the release?" he asked quietly and calmly.

"I think there was a string on the door." She took a calming breath because he prompted her to. "If I find out who did that, I'm going to gut them."

He nodded. "I would too. Stay calm for now." Richard came in. "Did you find the method of trap?"

"I did. It was a simple rope release one." He looked at her. "You okay?"

"I'll be okay." She swallowed the water Bill handed her. "I'm not happy but I'm okay."

"There's no security footage," Richard said quietly. "They were telling the director that while looking at the trap." She stared at him. "I don't know, kiddo."

"I'm not that young."

He smirked. "I'm old enough to be your dad."

"Possibly. Mom didn't have him listed before she died." She finished the water, then tossed out the bottle. She stared at Bill. "Can you please get my laptop and phone? Maybe my purse as well? I'll go work in the caf until someone checks it very carefully."

"I can do that," he promised. "You go with Richard. Did you pause in your office on the way down?"

"I tossed my purse on the chair but I barely opened it to toss it in though." She ran a hand over her hair, which was pulled back. "I'm going to throw up." She hopped up to go do that. Bill went up to get her equipment while Richard walked her up to the caf to get her something to sip.

Celia stormed in, glaring at Beth. "What happened?"

"I opened my door, was walking in to sit down, and got hit by two poisonous snakes," she said, staring at her. "I'm going to kill someone."

Celia smiled. "I can help you with that." Beth smiled slightly, shrugging. Celia gave her a hug then stepped back. "You rest. Put something on your stomach. If I hear who did that I'll let you know."

"I'm just glad Richard was there to kill them for the guards."

"I was escaping the wife's morning moodiness," Richard said dryly. Bill walked in her phone. "Problems?"

"Laptop had rubbing alcohol from the training gym poured on it." Beth stared at him. "Your purse had another snake that landed in it." He stared at her. "You can take today off."

"I could work from the couch too," she admitted. She looked at Celia.

"I know where you live. I helped you put down that area rug." Beth nodded. She helped her up. "We will go work up there. It's safer."

"Granted," Bill agreed. Richard helped by guarding her up there. Bill went back to the director to tell him that decision. Al came jogging up the hall. "She's fine, not bitten. She's on her couch working from there today."

"Who. Did. It?" Al demanded, staring at him.

"No idea yet," the director said. "The tape for this hallway was erased." Al stared at him. "She's fine. We made sure. Richard shot the snakes for her." Al nodded, walking off toward the staff elevator. "It's good they're all protective of her," the director said.

"Al and Richard filled in for me during the competition since I had to be in Belarus," Major Bill agreed. "I thought it was sweet of them."

"It was," the director agreed.

Bill watched the trap being dismantled. The security team could search for fingerprints and run them against the staff and trainees. By that afternoon they'd hopefully know who had done it.

***

Antonio knocked on his handler's door, holding up the bag from the local sandwich place. "Need something comforting?"

"Yes, but her being crushed between two construction machines and then pulled apart at the seams isn't going to happen." She smiled, taking the bag. "Thank you, Mr. Dala."

"Antonio, Beth. And congratulations on your third place." She smiled. "You good?"

"Bit creeped out. They found a fourth snake inside my desk." He grimaced. "Frankly I'm about to hunt her down and use a baseball bat starting with an extremity and then moving up."

He smiled. "I had that feeling after my divorce." He nodded. "I'm heading to the gym." She stared at him. "There's all sorts of rumors." She nodded, putting her sandwich in the fridge and following him down there once she had locked the apartment door. Everyone stared their way but she waved them off. He grinned at her. "They're worried about you."

"Mostly." She smiled at one of the trainers. "What's up, Toby?"

"Nothing much. You okay?"

"I'm good. Thanks."

"Welcome." He patted her on the shoulder. "Trifling ones are all over."

She nodded, punching him on the arm. "Wonderful, skilled women have to deal with ones like that all the time." He left them to workout together.

Cecily, her fellow fencer she practiced against, leaned in. "Beth, are you going to the meet this weekend?"

"No. It's not really going to up my standings and it's a lot of novice fencers." She looked at her, smiling. "You have fun making them all stare in awe."

"Bilanda's going to be there."

"Why is she fencing in a US event that doesn't lead to status?"

"I don't know. It's on her page."

"Let me consider it." Cecily nodded and grinned, disappearing. "Huh." She got onto a stationary bike and looked that up on her phone while she peddled. "She said she is.... That's a problem. That's a violation of the publicity policy," she said. "Huh." She flipped through the pages. "And a uniform violation too." She got onto the main page of the fencing federation, sending an email asking about a change to the rule they didn't know about, citing that image. It was taken at an event. If they had changed the uniforms then someone hadn't told her. She put her phone up. She peddled harder while she thought. She hated buying new whites. They were expensive. Her email chirped so she pulled the phone back out to read it. "Hmm. The whites code did change and no one told us." She forwarded that to Cecily. "That's interesting."

"New padding requirements?"

"New advertising and sponsorship patch rules. They're now smaller." She shrugged, tucking her phone back into her bra strap. "At least we're not allowed to look like NASCAR drivers." She shrugged, peddling harder when one of the trainers looked over. "I got some cardio in earlier by jumping and dodging," she said dryly.

He stared at her. "Not cute," the trainer complained.

"Not my fault. I didn't put four poisonous snakes in my office."

He shuddered. "We heard three."

"They found one in my desk. Which is why I'm taking killing ideas off totally unrealistic horror movies."

"Crap," he muttered as he walked off.

She shrugged when Toby looked at her. She knew he was dating one of the bimbos who had done that. It didn't make any difference to her. Though everyone wished that athletes were more mature at times.

Antonio looked at her. "You okay?" he asked quietly.

"I'm okay enough. Still mad. Still upset. I don't even know what set them off. I was always nice to them." She shrugged, looking over at him. "They had a hissy about me taking a weekend off, and they weren't on the weekend schedule anyway so it wouldn't have mattered to them. Since then everything's been pissing them off. I don't know what I did. I'm always nice to most everyone, outside one athlete who tried to trap me in a closet last year. They aren't here anymore."

"They're probably jealous. You're pretty and talented. You clearly have more than college sports in mind," Antonio said. She nodded, leaning forward to grab the handlebars again so she could peddle faster.

One of the trainers came over to lean on her bike, staring at her. "They were trying the two young ones too. They didn't think that any of you were good enough because you didn't have the degree yet. That plus you were supposedly getting perks with the apartment and the continued sports."

"Any of us could apply for an apartment at the reduced rate. That's a perk that's available to everyone. I don't get perks. I pay for my own dues, I'm taking all the classes."

He smiled and nodded. "Yes, but you're doing better than they were. The two young ones are doing more than they did. Between the six of them, they only had ten trainees." She shook her head with a sigh. "They weren't worthy of the title of handler. They were on the way out anyway. Bell had them suspended last week for being dumb and having a brawl with some of the soccer team."

"We're sure it was a brawl?" she muttered, staring at him. "From rumors it wasn't."

"Possibly true," he agreed, then smiled. "I heard the UAE family came back?"

"I haven't heard anything but that doesn't mean anything."

"We heard you had to send a memo?"

"To lock the doors," she said. He walked off laughing. She got back to her light workout. One of the soccer team walked in. "Hey, Elizabeth."

"Beth, are you okay? We've heard strange rumors."

"I'm good. What rumors?"

"That you dumped us?"

"No. Amanda's learning how to handle a full team as a handler by helping me." Elizabeth smiled and texted that. "I did most of your upcoming trip assignments while I was upstairs earlier. I let her post them."

"She's a sweet kid," Elizabeth said. "We all thought she was."

"She is. She's only seventeen." Elizabeth smiled. "She'll make a good handler some day."

"That's good. I've heard you got suspended?"

"No, I worked from my apartment today because there were poisonous snakes in my office this morning."

"Oooooh." She winced. "That's bad. We heard that you're going to retire too. Someone was bragging in the caf that once you got married you'd be giving up your job."

"I'm not marrying anyone. Who was starting that one?"

"Same people," Toby called from his weight bench where he was spotting. "Al punched him and got suspended for two days for it." He looked over. "Same family."

"Great. Just...great." She smiled at her trainee. "No, I'm not marrying. I'd buy a spouse from overseas to let them immigrate before I marry one of that family." Elizabeth walked off giggling. "Get that ankle looked at," she called after her. "Before you get it injured."

"I have. It's wrapped, Beth."

"Okay. We don't want one of you injured. Apparently we need more grown ups in adult level sports."

Elizabeth looked back and laughed. "Yeah, they do. We had one who pouted that she had to take off her jewelry for a match."

Beth shook her head. "It's the year of the bimbo. I wasn't aware it was an official zodiac symbol," Antonio quipped. "Maybe on the Chinese zodiac?"

Beth looked at him. "They're all animals. The Greek one has people, so it'd have to be on there." He smirked at her. "Maybe it's one of the twins."

"Maybe," he agreed. "Better than the water carrier."

"I doubt any of the bimbos were virgins," she quipped back with a grin. Toby choked, leaning against the wall to shake his head. "Sorry, Toby. Let me go lift weights."

Toby looked around then walked off shaking his head. He had to share that one with Celia. Maybe she'd know a fun date for Beth to hang out with for a few days of intense neediness.

Antonio smiled when he caught someone staring at him. "I'm working up to a triathalon and probably going back to diving."

His former World Game teammate nodded. "Figured. You like the spotlight too much to stay out of it."

Antonio shrugged. "I'm bored without Hilda to nag me night and day about things. Running's better than going through all the gold diggers on this coast."

"Good point. Good luck. We have the new dives on tape in the dive office when you're ready."

"Thanks."

"The sport could use more attention again. We haven't had anyone flashy recently." He went to workout in another room.

Antonio almost pouted. He wasn't *always* flashy. Sometimes he was downright subtle and quiet. Why didn't anyone believe that?

***

Celia found Beth that night back on her couch. She looked at her for a moment. "I know someone who runs a ...rescue operation for gifted individuals stuck in former Eastern Bloc countries."

"Like the girls that marry to leave?"

"Yes, only these are all men who need to leave for some reason. A lot are very smart but stymied by the system. Or they're athletes in an unappreciated sport." She stared at her. "I can pass on information if you'd like."

"I...." She considered it. "I might some day but I'm not ready. I don't have time for a lover."

Celia nodded. "That is true. Are you all right?"

"I'm good. Thanks, Celia."

"It's not a problem. You are a friend. The rumors have been stopped. Al nearly gutting one of them made sure of it." She smirked a tiny bit. "The other one spreading the rumors is related to those heathen brats."

"Antonio Dala said they're all bimbos."

"He'd know. He was seen dating two at the same time last month." She stared at her. "Also, I ran into Bill on the way up. He said not to go to that event. They're going to try to push Bilanda's status up to recruit more fencers into the life. He did hear a rumor that you got her in trouble?"

"No, I asked about a change to the uniform code. She had pictures of her at events that violated the old code. I wanted to make sure I was in compliance." She shrugged. "She violated the publicity code too."

"That is bad. It may seem a bit petty to some but hopefully not many will realize it."

"Some probably will but my email stated I wanted to confirm any changes to the uniform code because they showed pictures of events with different standards and we weren't told by the overseeing body." She shrugged but smiled. "I wasn't trying to get her into trouble. Though it's nice that during Nationals she yellow carded a foul and wasn't called on it."

"Interesting." Beth nodded. "Hmm. I thought that level of problems only happened in gymnastics and ice skating." She stood up. "You should rest. You look tired."

"I'm okay. I could've had a nap earlier but I did homework instead."

"That's always a good thing to put you to sleep." She let herself out, going to talk to Bill since he was back from bailing one of his athletes out of a DUI. That one would probably like saved from the nagging he was getting.
Chapter 8 by CE Dalton
Chapter 8

Beth reported to the director's office the next morning. "Sir, anything I need to be aware of today?"

"We've done a building sweep. There's no more snakes." He put down his pen to look at her. "I've heard rumors you turned someone in for infractions to your overseeing body?"

"No, I asked the FIE about new uniform rules since I had caught pictures of Bilanda Jacobson wearing inappropriate whites during a match. I stated that I used the rules stated in one set of rule books and wanted to know if they had been changed, citing those pictures as evidence of a possible change. I did not rat her out or anything. It was not meant in that spirit."

"That's good." He smiled. "How far off were they?"

"She violated the advertising policy on how big the ad patches can be, and the publicity code." He winced because that last one could get someone banned for a few years at the worst. "I only noted the uniform one to see if rules had changed. Whites are expensive and then you have to have them embroidered with your country and name." She shifted her stance. "You should also probably hear that they didn't yellow card her during her last match at Nationals. She had two yellow card violations. I rewatched the tape last night."

He grimaced. "That level of politics sucks when it's in gymnastics and ice skating." She nodded. "You wouldn't expect that of fencing."

"We're newer than the European Union's clubs. A lot of us are seen as upstart little pricks by the FIE."

He nodded. "I've seen that said." She smiled slightly. "Will that get you into trouble?"

"No. I can post my email to them on my livejournal page. They can all see that I did not tattle on her. It wasn't meant that way."

"That's good. It's not very sportsmanlike behavior."

"I know, sir. Though they'd do it to me in a heartbeat."

"I know. Bill would expect better of you."

"He asked me last night, Director." She smiled. "Let me get to my office to go over the trip booking sites I use so Amanda can register her own account with them." She nodded and left. She ran into Al in the hallway. "Hey." She smiled. "Aren't you supposed to be at home?"

"I am home." He smiled. "Are you okay?"

"I'm good, Al. They made sure there's no more snakes." He hugged her. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, kiddo." He grinned at her. "I'm going to hide from Major Bill. He's the one that grounded me for two days for the fighting." He winked and walked off.

She went to her office, finding Amanda waiting at the doorway. Which was open. "Did you...."

"Security was sweeping it when I got here." She smiled. "I saw Al."

"He's a nice, sweet guy when he wants to be." She walked in and checked her office then waved her in. "C'mon, we'll go over trip sites. There's a few that are better for certain regions. Then we can go over how to manage press relations for a team. Monitoring their online presence can be a full time job with some teams or single athletes. Fortunately our joint team is pretty cool with that." She and Amanda got into the current trip being planned. Amanda posted that travel itinerary in the women's changing room so the team could look it over to make sure it was all right before they finalized it. She showed her the whole bookmark file she had for necessary work matters. Amanda copied the bookmarks file down so she could put it onto her computer, making notes on what each one was best at. By lunch, they were both hungry and went to get something and then check on their various trainees.

Beth ran into Cecily coming in and got glared at. "What?"

"You ratted her out?"

"No, I asked if the rules had changed." She pulled up that email to show her. "See?"

"I do." She grimaced. "She's mad that she's now under investigation."

"She's the one who posted the wrong things. I wanted to make sure I didn't need a new jacket, and I do."

"So do I by that rule set." She grimaced.

"Remember to bring your old one just in case."

"I know. Any idea if there's anywhere cheap this time?"

"No. I've been ordering through one of the foil clubs." That got a nod. "There's a good shop in England. You might try there. Just watch the shipping fees."

"I can try that. I was ordering through the New York Fencing Club but they're restricting that to members only."

Beth found that shop's site and let her see it. "That's the shop in England."

"I can look that over. Thanks, Beth. You might want to post that."

"I will on my way to check on Celia." She smiled, doing that to her own online journal on her way to the ice rink. She walked in and found Celia laying on the ice. "Celia!" She slid over to check on her. "Did you fall?" she asked when the other woman blinked at her.

"I got dizzy."

"Okay. We can get you to medical." She tapped her earpiece. "Medical to the ice rink," she ordered. She hung up and helped her to the seats for coaches. One of their facility's docs came rushing in. "I found her passed out on the ice. She said she was dizzy."

"That happens sometimes." He checked her eyes. "Let's get you to the infirmary just in case, ma'am." Beth took off the skates for her and put them into the locking case. "Thank you, Beth." She smiled and nodded, helping him walk her down there. She took the skates to her office to safely store for her. She sent a text message to Al so he could check on her. Those two were very good friends and there had been hints of them dating in the past. Beth checked her page, answering a rant from that one fencer about that. She pointed out that she needed to know if the uniform rules had changed, which was all she had asked about.

She had used that as an example since it was notably posted in a few places. She also noted if she had wanted to turn her in for problems, she had some other videos that were showing them, including two non-noted violations at Nationals. She sent that one privately so it wasn't open to anyone else. She wasn't going to be accused of being a sore loser or anything like it. She got back a response that was a terse 'thank you' and shrugged it off. Beth found her next jacket and ordered it, plus a new pair of gloves. Hers had a worn spot. She looked over the new grips for the epee but she didn't like the gun grip style that was becoming popular.

***

Celia knocked on Beth's office door about five. "Are my skates in here?"

"There," she said with a smile and a point. "I know you didn't want to leave them down there and I'd never have security breach your locker without an excellent reason."

"Thank you." She sat down in her guest chair. "My ear's infected."

"Is that easily cured?" Celia nodded. "That's great. Should I tell PR not to schedule you anything? And does that cancel you going to that regional ice show?"

"I'm going to try to make it to that. They said a week to two weeks. That's in three." She relaxed. "Al is fussing hard."

"That's what friends do."

"True." She smiled. "Are you all right? I heard you had a brush with bad sportsmanship."

"I asked a simple question and cited pictures from one of the top two as a reason for asking. They did change jacket rules." Celia winced. "At least mine aren't as expensive as some of your costumes."

"True. I have to decide if I want to go to a designer to make my next one."

"It seems to pay off but that's up to you. I'd save the really expensive ones for special matches."

"Good point." She stood up and wobbled. Beth helped her sit back down. "That will take some getting used to."

"Want walked down to a cab?"

"Please." Beth walked her down there, carrying the skate case for her. They ran into Richard and his wife. "Good evening."

"What did you do?" Richard asked her.

"Ear infection."

He grimaced, looking at his wife. "You're heading home?"

"I live out near the middle of nowhere on Long Island," Celia said. "It's out of everyone's way, but thank you for offering."

Al walked in and took the skate case. "C'mon, I'll drive you home and spend the night on your couch. You can drive me in tomorrow, Celia. Nice save, Beth." He grinned. "Meow."

She shrugged. "I only asked about uniforms because that meant I had to get a new one."

He grimaced. "I'm so glad I don't need uniforms. Hers are extreme and yours are pricey too."

"Being able to just wear a t-shirt with our name on it is nice," Richard agreed. "And jeans."

"Definitely." He walked Celia out, smiling at her. "You better?"

"It's a simple ear infection started off by an ingrown ear hair."

"They happen," he agreed.

Beth smiled at Richard's wife. "Hi, I'm Beth, his handler here." She shook her hand and handed over a card. "In case you need to get in touch with me for something like he left stuff here." She patted Richard on the arm. "I think two of the women are up in the firing pen. Both are skeet shooters though."

"I can check. I know I'm not in my scheduled range."

"That's really only a suggestion unless you're in one of the big gyms." She walked off, going back to work. She had a few things to finish up, including a report for the judge on when and where Elba would be traveling with the team. She sent that over then packed it in for the night, going up to her apartment. Fortunately she had almost nothing of value in there since her door was open. She glanced in while calling security up to check. They found stuff poured on her bed and couch. She looked at the guards, who all shrugged. "Let me know?" They nodded. "Then let me do laundry." She walked in to strip all the covers off things so it could be washed. She'd flip the mattress once it dried, and the couch cushions might be able to be washed. Thankfully, most detergents took urine out of things. She did squeeze out a sample for the lab. That got a nice report started. They wouldn't pass a drug screen. Interesting.

***

Beth reported to the lab in the morning. "I need a drug screen for official reasons." They nodded, handing her the cup. She peed and let them sign off on it, she signed where she needed to, and she went to work after washing her hands. That would prove it wasn't hers. The Reed Center did run on gossip at times. Bill had already asked her who had peed on her things at six that morning. This proved she didn't. By that night, everyone knew it was someone else attacking her. She shrugged it off but she needed to find all the petty people before they escalated things to a dangerous level.

Six hours later she had to report to the director's office. "Sir, you rang?"

"I know why you took the test, Beth, and it was a very wise thing. It did let us find out who was tampering in the lab." She frowned. "Your test came up...very wrong. Not even subtly wrong, but very wrong."

"What did I pop positive for, Director?"

"By the test, your urine was twenty percent heroin."

She snorted, shaking her head. "I've never touched the stuff and wouldn't that be impossible?"

"Yes. Even for hard core addicts overdosing they couldn't get their samples up this high. We're going to retest you for formality's sake." She nodded, taking the cup and using his bathroom with his assistant watching her pee into the cup just in case. They all signed off on it and it got taken by special courier to a different lab. They'd have results back in the morning. "We need to stop these people," the director told her.

"I'd be glad if they would stop. It's petty and I don't even know what started it. I've heard guesses at it being jealousy but that's still too much work for that."

He nodded. "It is." He leaned on the desk. "Are you going to that one event?"

"No. I don't need to put on a show. Plus I had to talk to Bilanda Jacobson about not intentionally getting her under investigation."

"I heard." She shrugged. "It's a good question to ask, and by what I had Cecily tell me about on her webpage, she's in trouble."

"Possibly."

"She had linked one that had multiple red card violations that weren't called." Beth winced, shaking her head. "I'm not sure why but Cecily winced and said it was way too bad and they might ban her for life for it."

"I haven't heard that we did that to anyone in recent history."

"I don't think they have." He shrugged. "Go rest. We'll have the results in the morning." She nodded and went upstairs.

***

Beth showed up the next morning as the Director was coming off the elevator. "Results, sir?"

He smirked. "Bill get you up again?"

"I get up at six every morning, sir. Then I go to the gym. Just like he taught me to."

"Figures. He gets up at five to do the same thing."

"The gym is very quiet at that time of the morning." She followed him into his office. He found the results sealed on his desk. He examined the seals and opened it, smiling as he held it up. "How did they get the results?"

"The tape's wrong. It's not signed off on either." He called that lab. They were with a courier on their way. He went down to grab it before the guys in security could. The courier shouldn't let them sign off to grab it but you never knew about some of them since they were always in a hurry. The courier walked in. "For the director?"

"Yes, sir. I need ID?" He pulled out his center ID. "Thank you, sir." He signed for it and the courier handed over the manilla envelope. "We had another six that had to come here, sir." He nodded at the security guys, handing over the two they could handle and getting them to sign for them before he left.

Director Bell opened the envelope there, subtly watching how they handled it. One was a problem. The head of security wasn't in today apparently. He cleared his throat. "You do not open other people's mail unless they ask," he stated quietly. The guard flinched. "No matter who else asks you to." He stared at them. "Who was in my office before I got in?"

"No idea, sir," one reported, going into the security office to look that up. "It looks like DeSandra was there before you were."

"She met me at the elevator. Who was in my actual office?" The security guy waved him in. He came in to look. "That's not Beth DeSandra. She's the one that met me at the elevator. The guy winced and looked at that image, pointing. Bell nodded. "Yes, that's DeSandra."

"Oh, dear." He sighed and called in someone. "You misidentified someone." He hung up and let him see the whole night's film from his office. Only two people. One was a janitor, and wasn't a janitor any of them recognized but he hadn't touched the stuff on the desk. This morning, a guard had brought up an envelope to put on the desk. The guard called his boss. "Sir, we have a problem. We need you here. I'm sorry about your morning off, sir." He hung up. "He's swearing but he'll be here in about an hour, sir. He's got a commute."

"That's fine. Make me a hard copy of that." The guard taped it for him. "Thank you." He took it and walked off. "Beth, the security guy on the desk thought you were Sabine."

She looked at him, frowning. "Sabine left three years ago."

"I know." He looked at her. "Who called? I was in the camera room."

"Your wife. You forgot your wallet at home. She'll drop it on her way to work." She pointed at the note she had made. He nodded, grimacing at the rest of it. "Sorry, sir, but your assistant isn't in yet."

"That's fine. She wouldn't have left a message. She would've tried every five minutes until I got back."

"She tried three times before I answered it. I figured anything that frequent had to be a problem."

"It probably is." He sat down to look over the results. "They were a bit backed up." He put hers in front of her.

She looked. "Poppy seed...." She snapped her fingers. "Marinade at the steak place after Nationals. I had already done my mandatory test before then."

"Good. Make sure you don't test positive." She nodded. He shrugged. "I can tell you weren't the one destroying Center property, Beth. You could go back to work."

She looked at her phone then held it up. "Bill set up security cameras for me." He glared at the picture. "I'm not going near my office, sir. I may not be really terrified of spiders but at that level, hell no."

"I don't blame you. Who?"

"I can't run it back. But the guy with the mask seems to keep coming back with more boxes with spiders in them." She let him see him dumping more on her desk.

"Crap." He got up and she followed. They came off the elevator, finding the guy in the mask running for the stairs. "Think he's got some sort of tracker on you?"

"Possibly on my phone. Bill has me keep the GPS on."

"Hmm."

"There's a number of tracking software available." She opened her office door and looked then got out of the way, calling Bill. He was down in the gym and he had caught the running guy with Toby. "Toby and Bill caught him running past the gym, sir."

"Good! I like that." He went to look at them. "I'll get someone to clean all that up, Beth. Go take the day off to train, okay?" He smiled. She smirked back and walked off to go to the gym herself. The director came off the elevator on the main level, going to the training gym. "Bill, Toby, you caught our mad spider setter?"

"He did what?" Bill demanded of the former security guard.

"He put a crapload of spiders in your daughter's office," Director Bell said in a chipper voice. "She's got the day off to train." He nodded, going to find her to check on her.

"She's not a good handler anyway," the guard complained, trying to wiggle out of Toby's grip.

"Sure, because she doesn't handle some very tough athletes," Toby said dryly. "Move some more. Watch me break things." The guy stopped wiggling. "Sir, with all due respect, I think we have a problem."

"I know we have a problem and I've been trying to weed it out, Toby. How many more problems are there?"

"I know of at least three that are sticking up for the bimbos. I agree with Dala, they've got to be bimbos since they don't think."

"We'll all get rewarded if she quits," the guard said, trying to stand up. Toby made him scream with a new grab to stop him. "She'll fulfill her destiny."

She walked in to look at him. "My destiny is to be a US national fencing champion, and possibly go to the olympics for it. My destiny does not lie in any other country's fencing squads." She stared down at him. "How much were they going to pay you to get me out of the Center?"

"Sixty grand," he sneered. "You're not even worth the big money."

She shrugged. "I'm more fantastic than that anyway. They were cheap." She walked off. "You have a great life. I'm sure it was worth going to jail for attempted murder by poisonous animal. Twice." She waved back at him as she walked out the door.

"That's true, he's able to be arrested for that," Toby agreed.

"No one would charge me," the guard huffed.

The director looked at him. "Yes they would. The planting of those snakes is an open case. They're going to prosecute whoever did that." The guard stared at him, mouth open. "You tried to kill her, not drive her off. Beyond that, even if she quit here, she's got offers from another six centers to help them. Everyone wants Beth to be a handler. Even that doctored drug test wouldn't matter. Especially since you overplayed your hand there. That much drugs in someone's piss would have killed them a few times over." He looked at the officers stomping in. "Boys, did we call or did Miss DeSandra call?"

"A Major Bill Gulip called, sir," one said. "Something about the open investigation being solved?"

"We caught him putting masses of spiders into her office this morning," the director said. "I'm not sure how many are poisonous. We're hopefully sure he did the snakes?"

"Yes. We tested the fingerprints we found against his just now," Bill said as he walked in. "The head of the security groups showed up, Director. He's not amused to be taken from our sister center's cushy office job." He looked at the quietly swearing young man. "One of the security team told him about this morning's problems, which led to a discussion of the snakes. He had the authority to search their records better and he found the match." He handed the officers that paperwork. "He's in the security team office chewing everyone a new one if you wanted to talk to him. We're trying to figure out how to kill all the spiders he put in today."

"We'll need to at least get picture evidence," the other officer said. "Let me call in our scene people, sir." He made that request and fortunately they were only up the road by a few miles. They showed up with collection boxes, some cans that sprayed a solution cold enough to kill spiders on contact, and cameras. They were not amused by the dozens of spiders. Beth came down to tell them if they got near anything sensitive or classified. Bill helped her with that while the better security guards got to sweep everywhere else. They found another office with spiders but not as many. The scene team got to gather them too. They weren't pleased about it.

Bill looked at Beth while they were in the hallway, shoulder-to-shoulder, arms crossed over their chests while they watched them remove the spiders. "How about I find you a nice sex club to break that at?" She looked at him. "That way the family from the UAE who wants you gets shoved off better."

"They think me dating meant I was ready to settle down. Me being in a notable relationship might help. Or I could turn into a slut I guess. Then they'd leave me alone."

"Perhaps." He patted her on the hand. "We'll figure it out."

"Celia knows someone who runs a husband finding service."

"I've heard about that. That's where Jeral's husband came from."

"Liz Jeral at the Wood Blind?"

"Yes."

"Huh. He's polite."

"He is." He looked at her.

"I'd still have to make him sleep in the closet since my bed's only a full."

He smirked a tiny bit. "Immigration might mind that but I have no idea." She grinned back. The scene team people were staring at them. "She's got olympic hopes in a sport that the UAE could see a wife doing. We're not sure if it's all related to them."

They nodded and got back to work.
Chapter 9 by CE Dalton
Chapter 9


Al and Celia walked up to Beth's office, looking around before walking in. "They killed all the spiders, right?" Al asked, not coming in too far.

She smiled at him. "They have. The nice crime scene people even checked the vents."

He grinned. "Thanks for that worry being gone."

"They got Tappa's office too."

Celia winced. "Did she get to eviscerate someone? She stated she would be if they came after her like they had you."

"She's off today. The director called her and gave her the day off so no one would have to clean up blood." They both grinned at her. "What's up, guys? I'm only doing paperwork." She leaned back in her desk chair.

"Want to go to a high end club this weekend?" Al asked. "It's nice, it's clean, and it's a hip club. Maybe you could find someone nice there?"

She shook her head. "I've got practice Sunday." They stared at her. "I do."

"Cecily is pouting," Celia said quietly.

"FIE judges went over the Nationals match with a fine tooth comb. She got a yellow card violation during one that wasn't noted. They also talked to us both by phone about the uniform rules. They're posting them next week when they're finalized."

"So new jacket?" Al guessed.

"Fifteen hundred for a great one," Beth agreed with a grimace. "With new gloves and embroidery."

"I'm so glad my sport doesn't require fancy uniforms," Al quipped. "Celia spends tons on her costumes. You spend tons on yours every few years when they change the rules."

"Yours spends a lot on other things," she pointed out. "I don't want to spend thousands for costumes but it is expected and mainly necessary." Celia looked at Beth again. "Come out with us."

"I.... fine. I might have to redo my drug test from Nationals. They were talking about that. I had to admit I would pop positive now due to the dinner we had that night having poppyseeds." Al winced. "They said they weren't going to do them over unless they found fault in theirs. They haven't looked into them yet."

Celia shook her head. "Would that change matters?"

"Not really. We all know not to take things that could get us popped. We hate the medal removal stuff too, just like all the other sports."

Al grinned. "I doubt they could for you having poppyseeds with dinner."

"Hopefully not." She smiled back. "I'll go out but I'm not drinking a whole lot. Maybe one drink." They smiled and left with Al winking at her. Maybe she'd have a good night off. She could use some stress relief.

***

Antonio Dala popped into the shooting range, walking over to Al's spot. "If you're going to the Orchid, it's under Vice watch," he said quietly. "I'm not sure how close they are to busting it but the officer's very obvious. Two more clubs that have the same ...qualities have second job people from the NYPD but they'll still bust for underage drinking or anything. Try this one." He handed over a card with a grin. "It's usually safer, has private security, and a back room center that has some fantastic things for rent." He left.

Al looked at the card then shook his head. "Okay," he decided. Richard and the female shooter in there with them laughed. "We're taking Beth out this weekend."

"She could use it," Richard agreed. "I'd introduce her to some nice people but none of the ones I hang out with are, and they wouldn't want someone her age."

"She tried to flirt with a few of the people she's taking classes with but they're the sort that think football's the only true sport," Al said. Richard shuddered. Beth came wandering in and handed them all sheets. "Center memo?"

"Yup. And a survey about what you'd like to see changed around here." She smiled at them. "We're getting sixteen new guards, even though we only lost four." She left again to go back to handing out letters. She and the two trainee handlers were doing it so they didn't overlap. They were the youngest so things like this got given to them. She walked into the ice rink, waving the papers. "Bett, Sira. Center memo and survey about things you'd like to see updated or changed." She put them on the chairs. One of the coaches held out a hand so she gave him one too. He shook his head. "Ladies, we're getting new guards in the next week."

"We heard they had to fire some," one of them said. Her english was tinted toward Chinese and she looked like a little doll with the way her hair was up and the costume she had on.

"They had to fire four," Beth said with a smile. "We're getting about sixteen. Also, there's probably going to be some press people here and there sometimes. We've had Antonio Dala sign up to get back into shape for a few things. You know how some of them follow him." The ladies and coach nodded. "He said he'd try to discourage them." The ladies both snorted but skated off. "Let me finish my rounds. Need anything today?" she asked the coach.

"The music system has no speakers on the east wall," he said with a point. He was clearly formerly from an Iron Curtain country by his looks and accent.

"I'll make that note." She smiled and walked off calling the maintenance guys. "It's DeSandra. The ice rink's east wall speakers are out. One of the coaches just reported it." She hung up and finished her rounds in the pool. They had four swimmers who trained here and now a diver. She put down the memos on their bags. She waited until the current 'race' was concluded. "Memo and survey, guys," she called with a point. "Also, new guards in the next week. We're getting about sixteen guards." They nodded and so did the two coaches in there. "Let me know if you guys need anything. I know most of your handlers are out today."

"The diving board's got a crack," Antonio called.

"I can report that. That'll take specialist fixing so it might be a day or so, Antonio." She called maintenance again. "It's DeSandra again. I'm told that one of the diving platforms has a crack. I know that'll take an outside person but you guys have to call them, not me," she said in a chipper voice. "Thanks." She hung up and went to the front desk to look outside. "Sure, he won't be bringing press," she muttered, walking off. "All my memos are handed out. How are the two trainees doing?"

"One's done and in her office," the head of security said. He looked over the cameras. "I can't see the other one. Last I knew she was on three west."

She nodded, heading up there to check on her. She was only fourteen. She ran into one of the soccer players trying to make time with her and pulled him off by his ear. "Beyond the fact that she's fourteen, and that's statutory rape in this state, no matter if she wanted it or not, I doubt she wanted you to sexually harass her and there are rules against that in this center, Mr. Chrial. I don't know how they do it in your originating country but here, women have the right to say no and mean it." She handed him to his coach, who was wincing. "Did your team get the memo and surveys?" she asked with a smile.

"He stopped her to flirt on her way out, Miss DeSandra."

"Then perhaps his elementary education in counting is faulty?" She stared at him. Then she walked off to talk to the young one. "You good?" she asked as she walked her out to the hall so they could finish her rounds.

"Yeah, I'm fine, Beth. He wasn't going to hurt me."

Beth stared at her. "He's violating center rules, Ginger. There's not supposed to be any fraternizing between handlers and athletes." The younger one grimaced. "Beyond that, at your age, it'd be a felony." She shrugged at the heated look. "Unless he's within two years of your age, it's a felony in this state."

"Shoot."

"Try one of the guys you go to school with."

"They're all...boys. They care more about bimbos in games than a real, living one."

Beth nodded. "I remember those and I went to an all-girls' school." Ginger laughed. "It's not professional for you to hit on the athletes. You can *flirt* with some of them to make them grin and seem less uptight but there's a really fine line there. It's like telling dirty jokes."

"I got warned about that."

"Some of our people are a bit uptight," Beth said. "Lizzie up in PR will have an absolute fit about that stuff or if she sees us wearing a shirt that shows cleavage."

"I got warned about her especially." She looked at her. "What if we have athletes here who are around my age?"

"We have a few but that's still fraternization. Which is a violation of the professional conduct code. Some people get away with it, some don't," she admitted. "But if something happens and you break up in a bad way it causes stress. That stress then spreads to everyone else and we end up losing trainees."

"I get that," Ginger sighed. "I still need a boyfriend."

Beth patted her on the shoulder. "If you're worried about the people that want me," she said quietly. "They'd only want people who could be on their olympic team. They specifically go after people in the top ten of their sports, always non-strenuous sports instead of full contact or the body spoiling ones. They have never went after a gymnast that I've heard. Divers, swimmers, a few track and field but that's pretty rare, things like shooting or fencing."

"So I'm probably safe," Ginger quipped with a grin.

"Probably. Your sport protects you there. If they want someone in gymnastics they offer to the backup players out of the former communist systems or someone from China. They tend to score higher and they're chasing medals to start their country's olympic record."

"Why don't you have a boyfriend?"

"All girls' school, practicing for junior nationals, I was on the school's soccer team and we went to championship every year but I'm not better than college level there." Ginger shook her head. "I had an almost boyfriend before Major Bill took me in but he wouldn't have stayed with me for very long. He didn't want the hard stuff, just the 'having someone to show off' part of dating. I had medals in the junior nationals and he could brag."

Ginger nodded, grimacing. "There's a few of them in my school. They're on the basketball team."

"There's a few of them in my college and they didn't think fencing was a sport because it wasn't football," Beth said dryly. Ginger cracked up, grinning at her. "Between work, training, and college courses I still don't have time for one. You make time for one."

"I can do that. I'm probably going to do college the normal way and be on their gymnastics team. That way I can pay for it easier."

"A lot of us have and then got rehired afterward, or went to one of the other training centers. It's hard but we do what we must to be splendid women who handle big messes for our trainees."

Ginger smiled. "Not modest at all, are you?"

"No. I grew out of modesty." She grinned back. "Just be yourself. Guys will come."

"Thanks, Beth. Let me finish my rounds."

"Okay. We're both done so go back to doing your usual handling job when you're done." Ginger nodded, walking off. Beth went back to her office, smiling at Alba since she was waiting. "What's up?"

"Would other handlers have been there the same way?"

"Depends on the handler. Most, no." She sat down. "A lot of them don't get too attached to their trainees. They don't want to make friends with them. They keep it at business level. A lot of athletes do the same thing with their team's coaches."

"I've seen that. It sucks."

"New friends are good to a lot of us," Beth said with a grin. "I need more friends, not less."

"You are kind of trapped here."

"No, I get to escape for college courses twice a week," Beth quipped, cracking her trainee up. "What's up?"

"That young one got flirted with by one of the guys on their soccer team?"

"No, they were mutually flirting until I noted her age and I reminded her of the professional conduct stuff. It wasn't a fault situation like we've had in the past. Thankfully they managed to handle that before she got hurt."

"So trainers aren't allowed to flirt with us?"

"We have a fine line. Plenty of us would flirt some, but not mean it. A few would flirt and mean it but if they get caught they can be fired."

"That makes sense. No workplace romances." Beth nodded. "Okay. I actually hunted you down to check on the paperwork to the judge."

"I sent the last set." She pulled out that folder. "I need to do the upcoming trip in a month but I sent the one for two weeks. I faxed it over." She showed her the cover sheet. She called the judge to make sure he had it. His assistant didn't always gather the faxes, they'd had this problem once before. That's why Beth date and time stamped them. The judge found it and approved so she could relax. Beth grinned and went over the upcoming travel restrictions. They were going somewhere that had a few stricter rules. Some countries were a lot more uptight than the US was about certain issues. Plus it was nearly time for tryouts for the national team. She had to arrange for a few of her team to go there.
Chapter 10 by CE Dalton
Chapter 10


Al looked up as Celia and Antonio Dala stomped into the police station. Celia hadn't been able to come tonight and Antonio had been at home probably, or out partying on his own since he hadn't been invited. "I don't know, guys. She went to get a virgin drink at the bar and disappeared. The cops are looking at the tapes to see and have put out an alert for her since she's officially missing."

Antonio Dala looked at the nearest officer. "Any idea on my handler's kidnaper at least? We know there's been a few trifling hos at the center and a group that'd *love* for her to be married to them so she could compete for their team."

"He told us, sir. It'll be at least another few minutes before we're finished with the tape and the bartender." Antonio scowled but sat down. Celia sat on Al's other side, patting him on the hand. "Has anyone called her family?"

"She's split from them," Al said. "Her aunt wanted to be her manager and tried to force things on her. Her caretaker and all-but adopted father works at the center with her. You'll know he's here. The temperature will drop thirty degrees from his glare." The officer nodded, making a note of that.

"Her aunt has faded into the shadows of the midwest," Celia told him. "We doubt she's even contacted Beth in the last few months. She sent her a birthday postcard that hoped she was finally making money from that 'fencing thing' as she put it."

"So probably not her." He sent that note back to the interrogation room.

An officer came out to stare at them. "The bartender said the guy paid him because he was playing a game with his wife."

"She's being courted by some UAE families to come start their olympic fencing team," Al said dryly. "They only take virgins and make them marry into a decent family."

"Oh."

"Did you look up the one last year?" Al said dryly. "When she had to kill two people to get herself free?"

"We have. It's locked by the FBI. They've nicely sent over the file though." He looked at Mr. Dala. "She's your...."

"Handler at the center. That's part trainer, part nagging source, and part assistant to make sure we get to meets."

"All right. Why would anyone want her?"

"She's ranked third in the country in fencing," Al said simply. "They don't have a women's olympic team."

"Oh. Okay, so she's higher profile in a sport that gets no attention but they can start their own group and get out of some 'women don't compete' complaints." Celia nodded. "You're all her trainees?" They nodded. "All right. Any idea how we can find her quickly?"

"Her phone has the GPS turned on," Al said. "I told the first guys that when we didn't find her phone at the club."

"Why were you guys there?"

"To make her immune from the UAE wanting her," Celia said simply, staring at him. "If they only want purer women...."

"Gotcha," he agreed, going back there to talk to the others.

"I think it's time I unleash the power of Hilda," Antonio said, calling her. "Hilda, don't hang up, it's an emergency and it's not me. Yes, I'm in a police station but my handler was kidnaped. Yes, Beth. She's a very nice young woman. They were at a club making her immune from the UAE's stalking problem." He listened. "Yeah, that's why. Apparently someone paid the bartender saying she was his wife. Can you? That'd be great please. Before they hurt her? Even better. No, last time she had to kill people." He shivered, looking around. "Bill's here. The temperature just dropped."

Al looked. "Bill, they think they found who did it."

"They had better find them before my contacts find them." He looked at the officer. Who told the others he was there. "Where is my adopted daughter?"

"Um... You are?" He held out a card. "Oh. We heard she had been all but adopted by you."

"Her aunt would've fussed."

"Legally...."

"I have power of attorney for her."

"Oh, all right then. We have notices up at all the airports and train stations."

"Private flights?"

"Yes, sir."

"How soon will we know and do I need to pull up the GPS on her phone for you?"

"Please. It'll be faster."

Bill pulled out his phone and got into it, showing him where it was reading. A small private airfield. He called out there to their security teams, who boarded the plane to check on her. The guys with her tried to protest she was drunk and sick but they pulled her off anyway citing illegal passport use. The officer smiled when they went to the airport to help her. He relaxed against the desk. "I had no idea that athletes were that tough."

"Yeah, some are," the desk sergeant agreed. "They warned me the temp would drop when the older guy got here."

"Yes it did. No wonder she had to go to a sex club," he muttered as he walked off.

***

Beth woke with a jerk, looking around the hospital room. "What the hell! Where am I!" she shouted. "I do consent to be held against my will!"

Bill walked in with coffee. "Good. The state department has been having words with the ones we had arrested for having you in their custody." She took the coffee to sip. He smiled. "You're safe. That's all that matters." She stared up at him. "They drugged you pretty hard, kiddo." He kissed her on the head. "Rest. You've got at least all day in here while they make sure it all comes out and doesn't ruin your kidneys." She snorted but got comfortable scowling when the nurses came in. Bill poked her. "Be nicer."

"I'm trying."

"Thank you."

"Sorry, I'm in a foul mood after being kidnaped for the second time," she told the nurse.

She patted her on the arm. "It'll be fine, dear. All those nasty drugs will be out of your system soon." She looked at Bill then left. When officers got there to take her statement she heard that the girl hadn't been fantasizing. Oh, dear. They got a security guard up to their floor to watch over her, just in case.

Al came in to spare Bill, staring at her until she woke up. "You scared the hell out of us."

She smiled. "I was scared as hell," she quipped.

"I can see why." He patted her on the hand. "I'm told they're moving your apartment to one on the other end of the floor."

"That's cool." She yawned. "These drugs suck."

"Yes they do. Thankfully you'll have the hospital reports to back you up if you get popped for a drug test." She nodded, drifting off again with him guarding her. He grinned at the nurse when she came in for the nighttime check of her IV. "She'll need a copy of her records in case she gets popped for a drug test," he said quietly.

"I'm sure anyone doing one would hate her having OD'd, sir. Do you really think that's wise?"

"I think she was kidnaped and it took agents to get her off that plane," he said dryly. "We can get a statement from the officers or the State Department for that." She snorted. Al waved in someone arguing with a nurse in the hall. "Director Bell, they seem to think Beth did this to herself."

"No, according to the police reports, the bartender gave her part of it and the two people trying to kidnap her gave her the rest. So said the reports from the locals, the airport security cops, and the State Department's people." The nurse gaped. Director Bell smiled. "She's a high quality athlete in a well respected sport. They wanted her for that." She nodded, going to tell the other nurses. He looked at Al. "What did you go to Amanda to get done? I can have Bill do it so he's not growling at everyone."

"They turned down my concealed carry permit," he said dryly.

"I'll have Bill fix that, Al." He patted him on the back. "How is she?"

"She's still worn out from the detoxing but they said she'll be fine."

"Good. I'll make sure her records reflect what actually happened, not what some pouty resident in the ER thought happened. Her room's been moved." He handed him the key. "I have no doubt you'll be there with her." He left.

Al tucked the keys into his pocket, going back to staring at her until she woke up to drink some more water.

***

Beth walked into her apartment, looking around. "It's all the same but opposite," she said, staring at her bedroom door. "And someone moved the tv out here."

"No cable plug in the bedroom," Celia said. Beth gave her a hug then Bill then Antonio since he was there, then Al since he had brought her home against the nurses fussing.

"It's great, thanks, guys."

"Welcome," Al quipped. "The nurses wanted her to stay for another day to fight the dehydration and crankiness."

"She can get like that when she's sick," Bill said, coming out to tuck her under a throw blanket on the couch. He got her a cup of tea. She grinned, kissing him on the cheek. "Good. You rest. We'll figure out things when you're ready to get back to work next week."

"I get a week off?"

"You do. The doctor that released you said to and to drink a lot of water." He grinned.

"Don't worry, we'll come up to tell you all the gossip," Antonio said. "I've already gotten my first suspension for fighting." He looked up but grinned at her. "Hilda was *so* amused but said I should've kicked him harder."

Bill looked at him. "It's not nice to pick on the guy who wants to be a younger you."

"True but it was worthwhile."

"It means you have time to do paperwork," Beth quipped.

"Yeah, don't remind me. Hilda does plenty of nagging about that." She smirked at him. He smirked back. "You're a tiny bit evil."

"Yes I am."

Al and Celia nodded at that. They had seen her being evil. Celia cleared her throat. "Amanda has straightened out a problem created by one of the upper trainers who changed a schedule by accident."

"Accident?" she asked.

"Accident," Bill agreed. "They saw the held seat and took it for their person."

"Did it get fixed?"

"It did. We got them another seat."

"Okay, as long as I don't have to worry about it. Anyone heard anything from the FIE?"

"No, nothing from the fencing organizations."

"Good. That's really good news." She sipped her tea, getting comfortable. "I'm sorry if I nap, you guys."

"It's a good idea," Antonio said. "Napping cures a lot of sicknesses."

"It does," Bill agreed. He went back to fixing dinner for everyone. Celia let Beth sleep on her shoulder, Al letting her curl up against his thigh. It was good Beth had friends.

***

Richard showed up the next day, leaning in the doorway when she opened the door. "Are you all right?"

"I'm better and they saved me from the plane."

He blinked a few times. "The rumors stated you did it to yourself." He shifted his weight.

"No, the bartender at the club drugged me and then I got more on the plane they were going to fly me away on. Who said I did it to myself?"

"Half of everyone," he said. "Are you okay?"

"I'm good. Still a bit fuzzy feeling. Kinda tired. I have a week off to do extra homework."

"That's one way to encourage a nap," he said dryly. "Did they find out who?"

"Same family as far as I know."

"Great." He stared at her. "Want me to start spreading it back the other way?"

"Please. If Al and Celia haven't I don't know why."

"They're off today. So is Bill. They're all in the office answering questions to an agent."

"Ah. I guess I'll be there later." He smiled. "Go practice."

"Yes, ma'am." He left, going down to the gym. "Hey, Toby," he said when he found him. The guy stared at him. "Beth wanted to make sure that any other vulnerable trainers or trainees that the same family might kidnap are warned since they pulled her off their plane."

"Excuse me?" another trainer demanded. "That was *them*?"

Richard nodded. "I asked thanks to the rumors."

Toby winced. "Yeah, it figures. She was out having fun."

"At a smutty club," the other trainer quipped.

"That's one way when you don't have time to date," Richard shot back, giving her a look. She winced. He looked at Toby again. "The rumors are going hard and it'll only make her worse."

"I can help, Richard. Thanks for letting us know."

"Not a problem. I like Beth. She's a good young woman and I hope she medals in fencing some day soon." He walked off to go lift weights.

Toby looked at the other trainers, who nodded they'd fix the rumors. Apparently Al hadn't heard yet or there would've been a screaming match with someone to stop the rumors.

***

Beth wandered into the office, blinking at the director. "You rang, sir?"

"Sit, Beth." She flopped down with a sigh. "Still tired?"

"They said probably a few days of exhaustion." She looked at the other person in the office. "FBI? State Department?"

"FBI, Miss DeSandra." She shook his hand. "Can you tell me why they wanted you?"

"Do you have that file, Director Bell?" He handed it to the agent. "I'm not the first they've done it to, but I'm their best bet in this decade probably. Not too many of us that fit their criteria for mostly pure, top level athletes."

"Where are you in your sport?"

"Third nationally. The top two spots have been hogged for a few years by the same people. It's politics. I stepped up this year because one's retiring. I was fifth last year."

"That makes more sense." He made notes. "Is it always the same family?"

She pointed. "I hand them over whenever I get them. Frankly the first few were flattering. After that it was annoying. Then last year they kidnaped me and I had to take out two of them to get free then talk to the State Department since I was in their embassy."

He winced, getting into the files they had. "We don't have that file. Let me call that in." He called someone. "It's Perkins. There's a State file on the incident from last year? Same participants."

"I wouldn't call being an unwilling hostage a participant," she quipped, looking at the director. "Thank you for moving me," she said quietly.

"We want to keep you safe, Beth. I'd suggest you move off center but you're right, there's no way you can afford one." She nodded. "Plus Bill would complain he was having to stalk you." She grinned. "Is everything there?"

"As far as I know. It was nice how my people rallied around me too. Richard came up to ask about the rumors that I had done this to myself and I gave him the truth about the kidnaping. I've seen two trainers who came up to check on me and told me they heard Richard telling Toby to stop the rumors."

"Al and Celia were talking to the agent in here," he admitted with a smile. "Al's since had his screaming match with someone. Dala hit another swimmer, again. Celia swore vengeance in a way that would make the KGB cry." She laughed, smiling at him. "It'll be fixed soon, Beth."

"Thanks, Director." She looked at the agent when he hung up. "They find it?"

"They did and two of them were involved in that too." She winced. "They're still in jail and the agents there will tell the prosecutor. That will be noted at their hearings." She nodded. "Have there been incidents other than those two?"

"We've had a run of jealous bimbos," she said. "Not sure if they're related or not, but one of the incidences that crossed into them said that they were paid sixty-grand to get me out of the building. That would be the guy that put the poisonous spiders in my office."

The director pulled that up, handing over the reports. "The local PD fixed that and the poisonous snakes he put in her office."

"Which was absolutely charming of him," she quipped. "Thankfully, Bill got him for me."

"He went crying and sniffling," Al said from the doorway. "Bill sent me up here, Director. His thing on her door went off showing that someone was trying to break into her apartment with a packet of weed. Again."

"Great," he said. "Where is the one who was breaking in?"

Al pointed behind him. "Talking with Bill in the elevator. He sent me up the stairs."

The director hurried to stop him before Bill killed him. "Let me handle this."

"I'm a great guard," Al quipped.

"You're a great friend, guarding is just extra special friendship gifts," she said, smiling at him.

"It's always helpful if you can't afford to hire one for real," the agent said. "Do you know of any other incidences that have happened here that someone may not have made her aware of?"

"A few times of the bimbos doing things but we can't be sure they were involved in that or if they were just jealous."

"Do you know which bimbos it was?" the agent asked.

"Yeah, all eight of them. Two regular trainers joined in because they were dating the hos," Al said, sitting at the desk to make notes. He handed them over.

"That started over me filing for time off to go to Nationals. One got butthurt that I asked for time off, tried to change my schedule on me. We got that fixed after a few genteel words like 'you have weekends off anyway' and they moved up to sneering, breaking into my apartment to pour drug-ridden pee on my bed and couch, and a few other things," Beth said.

Director Bell walked in and Al got up. "The Major is very calm." Beth grinned. "The other one is in handcuffs and begging for jail." He sat down. "The bimbos?"

"Could they be related?" the agent asked.

"We're not sure," the Director admitted, shrugging a bit. "I thought they were just jealous because between six of them they only had ten trainees and Beth does six on her own, much better than they did." He pulled out that file, letting the agent see it. "They probably would've done more but Beth really has no life outside of work, training, and college."

"I see the one that possibly crosses over. How did they get a drug test that high?"

"They had to mix some in. There's no way for that result to be alive if it came from a person," Director Bell said. "We had to learn such things since we do perform drug screens upon demand for athletes."

"I get that," Agent Perkins agreed. "Probably nicer than ours at the agency. Ours we have people staring at us while we fill the cup." He smiled. "When did they start?"

"When I won the Junior Nationals my last eligible year," she said. She yawned. "Sorry."

"I expected to hold this interview in a hospital room."

"I get cranky," she admitted. "I apologized to the nurses, even though they thought I had done this to myself."

"I don't want to be indelicate but have you thought about doing something that would make them decide you weren't eligible?"

She stared at him for a minute. "Why do you think I was in a sex club?" she asked blandly. Director Bell moaned, shaking his head. "It was meant to help me find someone I could solve some of that with but then I got a laced drink. Or someone with drugs hit me on the floor. Not real sure." She looked at Al.

"Bartender. He told him that you were his wife and you guys were playing kinky sex games."

"No, even if I was his, I wouldn't play kidnaping games. I'm not even sure I could do bondage, much less something more kinky and dangerous." Bell was choking now. "Sorry, Director. I clearly need another nap."

Al grinned at her. "That's not a bad level of kink. My ex-wife had to have the lights off and listerine beside the bed in case she deigned to give a blow job."

"Your ex is really cranked anyway, Al. Plus jealous."

"Yeah, she is."

Agent Perkins cleared his throat. "Is she involved?"

"One of them picked her up from here one night but she's been banned for tampering with Al's gear. I know she was in the hallway when drugs were put into my office but I hadn't heard if she was involved or not." She looked at the director, who nodded.

"My ex also accused her of being my mistress before we divorced but I'm not into underage girls," Al said.

"And I'm not pretty enough to be his," Beth added.

"Quit putting yourself down before I have Bill spank you, Beth. You're more than pretty enough to be a trophy wife, much less a mistress. That's probably why Bill wouldn't let you date in high school, to keep you off the dick patrol you'd have drooling after you." She was blushing bright red and ducking her head down. "Celia said the same thing. So did Richard's wife, who made sure he'd never look at your ass the wrong way. She was worried he'd compare. Which is why you almost walked in on them with her on his hook and I did walk in on her riding his hook."

"Al!" Director Bell complained. "Really!"

Beth hugged him. "You need glasses but you're sweet." She sat up again.

Director Bell looked at him. "Can you maybe help her fix that?"

"I think that'd annoy his girlfriend," Beth said sarcastically.

"Actually, Celia offered to put you between us to fix this problem," Al said with a grin for her.

"I'd still rather have a lover, someone there to make sleep in the closet because the bed's too small, instead of a sometimes thing when it's convenient." She looked at Al. "You're great but it'd screw up our work relationship. I'm ready to be clingy over someone and you've already had that."

"Point. Celia and I are casually acquainted in the bedroom, and on the couch, but if you want you know the offer's there."

"Then I'd start to stalk you and make you eat dinner with me or read homework to you." She smiled. "But it's a sweet offer."

The director looked at the agent, who was trying not to smile. "Personally I think I should just marry her and Al together with Celia. It'd mean she'd take longer to get her degree but we could put up with that." He gave Al a look.

"I leave that up to her. I'm not the sort of guy to get pushy."

"And I'm still the clingy sort," she said. "I'd have to take a lot of time off work to go to events with him. Not off my own events, but off work."

The director looked at her. "If you're sure, Beth."

"No trying something odd either. Bill will get mad."

"No he won't."

"Yeah he will."

"Fine." He smiled at the agent. He had ideas and he knew of someone sneaky who could help him pull things off. Once the agent was done with his interview, Al escorted Beth up to her room and then went back to practice.

***

Beth was going out for groceries a few days later when one of the center's guards stopped her. "Problems?"

"Ma'am, do you have your ID badge?" he demanded. She pulled it out to hold up. "We only have adult athletes here, ma'am."

"I'm one of the trainers," she said dryly. "Call your boss. Before I call Director Bell." He glared. She snatched his radio. "Security, it's DeSandra. I have a guard here who just snottily told me we only have adult athletes here, which we all know is a lie." She let the button go.

"Where are you, Handler DeSandra?"

"Second floor, heading for the down elevator." She handed it back.

The head of the security team for the overnight shift stomped off the elevator a minute later, slapping his guy on the head. "This is the one that got our security raised and you hired," he said bluntly. "We do have junior level athletes that work out here and she's actually twenty." He looked at her, smiling some. "Where were you heading, just in case? There's press crews outside again thanks to Dala."

"Groceries. Before I have to cook and eat Bill." She smiled. "I should be okay."

"You haven't seen the online news, have you," the security head said with a wince. "It started with Dala's ex-wife heading down to a police station and the rumors associated with that, then Hilda told the sleaze that he was there to help a young woman. Which started off the rumors that he's dating you."

"If I was dating him, I'd have never been kidnaped last week," she said, smiling some. "I'm also not his sort. Do they have my picture in the papers?"

"Only one faint one that shows you being loaded into an ambulance at the airport wondering why," the security head said.

She nodded. "That's cool. Then I'm okay to go grocery shopping?"

"You might want to order instead."

"I don't know what I want until I go look at the vegetables." She pushed her hair back over her shoulder. "I'm only going to the market on the corner." She smiled at the woman stalking up the hall. "Hey, Celia. Bad practice?"

"Not at the moment." She gave her a short hug. "I'll make sure she gets there and back."

"Thank you, ma'am," the head of the security team said. "Watch out for the news crew."

"If Dala makes a statement that's fine," Beth said. She shrugged. "It's okay because it might actually stop those families so it can't happen to another athlete."

"I'll tell him that, Beth. You two be safe?"

"I have pepper spray," Celia assured him. "And a knife."

"I have one of those too. Major Bill made sure I knew how to use one," Beth quipped. "He's highly overprotective."

"We like that about him," the head of the security team agreed. "Have a safe trip then, ladies." They smiled and Beth patted him on the arm as they walked around him. He waited until they were in the elevator to look at the guard. "We have ten athletes here under eighteen. Two handler trainees as well," he said quietly, staring at him. "We just had to rescue her from a plane the other day. Ask to see their ID, call it in to make sure, and don't get in the protective people's way for all that's holy. Major Bill basically adopted her when she was a teenager." He gave him a look. "I'm sure you saw the Major pulling an idiot out of here by his hair earlier."

"Yes, sir. She doesn't look like an athlete."

"She's a fencer and one of the better handlers we have," Antonio Dala said as he walked up to them, smiling at the security guard. "Hilda's straightening out the press. Though she said she's going to steal Beth from all this so she has someone competent to deal with me for her."

"Can you go shoo off the press outside, Mr. Dala?" the head guard said.

"I can and will. I was going to tell you I was going to do that actually." He strolled off, going outside. The reporters surged toward him. "Whoa, people." They stopped, staring at him, cameras on. "What's going on?"

"Are you going back to diving?" someone yelled.

"I'm trying and right now I'm training for a marathon or two." He crossed his arms over his chest, staring at them. "You guys are creeping out the other athletes here. Can't you stop that? It's impacting their practicing, which is a shame considering we have olympic quality athletes working out here." He looked them over. "Why else are you here?"

"You had to run to a police station with a few other athletes," one said, tipping her microphone toward him. "Is there a problem?"

"There sure was but it's not my story to tell. One of the handlers had a problem called kidnaping and I went to help. We all know Hilda has a huge network of people to ask questions to. She used to use it to spy on me," he finished dryly. "Thankfully the handler's all right, she's healed well, and she's getting back to her usual perky self."

"Was it because she's an athlete?" that same reporter demanded.

"Yup, sure was. Some people want an olympian or olympic quality athlete and don't have any at home. Some groups try to charm or buy them, some steal them. Thankfully they got her off the plane and to the ER very quickly so she wasn't harmed." He looked around at the group again. "Hilda's really happy I'm back to practicing again, guys, but you're still upsetting the other athletes. They can't concentrate when they're worried about being ambushed. So security has asked that you guys disperse and become basically invisible." He gave one a pointed look. "You jumped out at someone who has a silver medal in Judo. You're really lucky." She shuddered, backing down. "Anything else, people?"

"When will you decide to hit a qualifying meet?" another one shouted.

"Next year. I won't make anything this year but next year I should be in shape to deal with a diving match. I need to get back into shape first. The divorce was hard on my midsection," he said, walking off. "Go home, people."

The reporters dispersed to less obvious locations. One saw the two women who had walked out and ignored them coming back with grocery bags. "Are you guys athletes or staff?" he asked with a smile.

Beth stared at him. "Both, thank you for asking." The guy stared, mouth open. She smiled. "Most of the handlers and trainers here are athletes as well. A few don't actively participate but we all started there or we're no good to our trainees. Now if you'll excuse me, I really need to go cook dinner." She walked around him with Celia helping.

"You're Celia Miranski," another reporter said. Celia looked and nodded. "You train here?"

"I do. It's an excellent center for my needs. I'm not the only ice skater who trains here."

"We have athletes in about thirty different sports who practice here," Beth quipped. "Celia's also our top female weight lifter this month. She broke her old record last week to stay above a few of the women's soccer team." She walked Celia inside. "At least it's good for the center," she quipped to the guard as she ran her pass. Celia ran hers and they were let onto the elevator.

***

Antonio Dala met up with his ex-wife at an event that night, kissing her on the cheek. "Thank you for helping that handler the other day, Hilda."

"She seems very nice and efficient. Did you tell her I wanted to steal her to be your assistant?" She smiled at him.

"I did and she blushed." They walked in talking about his marathon training. They were much better coworkers and friends than lovers. The marriage had just gotten weird and stressful all the way to him breaking them up by cheating on her with some bimbo.

"Mr. Dala, you're back in training?" one reporter called.

"Yup, I'm training for marathons and for diving," he said, shooting a grin at her. "They're really good to the athletes there. Even if I did get suspended for two days for smacking a young thing that wanted to be the old me before I met Hilda." She laughed, walking off. He followed.

Hilda smiled at him. "It's good you're not bored, Antonio. You need more things to do."
"Yeah, but none of them will ever match up to you nagging me about being bored," he quipped. "Even the trainers who nag about lifting weights." He opened the door for her, waving a hand. "Ladies first."

"Thank you." She walked in, smiling at him. "You do look better, more healthy."

"Thank you, Hilda."

"Now all you need is a new full time bimbo instead of hiring a temporary one." She looked back at him. "Hopefully in time for the ESPY's since I'm going to be in Japan."

"Don't do that to me!" he whined.

"Sorry, I sent you an email a month ago, Antonio. Maybe you can take Beth. She seems nice enough."

"Being seen with me won't make them leave her alone and she's only twenty, Hilda. She's just a kid. A nice kid but she doesn't need someone with my rep associated with her."

"I checked. She's escorted other athletes to awards dinners, Antonio." She straightened out his tie, smiling at him. "It might help her too."

"My rep? No it won't." He stared at her. "They sent a letter saying that her going on a date was a sign she was ready to take them up on their *generous* offer," he hissed, staring her down. "Find me someone who's not a bimbo and not Beth."

"Fine. I'll ask around for you. Though I will tell them you aren't going to expect more than conversation over the burger on the way to the event and then when you're waiting to present that award." She strolled off again.

"That's fine. Make sure it's one that can't be besmirched by me." He followed, sending out a text message to Beth and Al. Al had demanded. He caught up with Hilda, showing her a picture. "That's Al and Celia. They were her first trainees. He swiped to the next one. "That's Richard. He's another competitive shooter, just back after however he lost his hand. She said he's really getting up there in the paralympics." He smiled at her. "Some of the other athletes are really nice people and a lot less catty than they used to be."

She smiled. "That's good. You need more friends." She looked. "She's an ice dancer?"

"Ice skater. Former gymnast until she screwed up her shoulder." He grinned. "We were fussing at Beth when she came home and got into a talk about costumes for events. She glared when I quipped I could do mine for under fifty bucks. Apparently she's got one that's three thousand and Beth's last fencing jacket was almost twelve hundred plus shipping and embroidery. Al got the same dirty looks about just needing a t-shirt and jeans."

"Some sports are worse about equipment than others. Be thankful you don't have to wear the competitive swimmer suits. Those are hundreds of dollars each and have to be fitted to you."

"Yeah, not my thing. Suits should be fitted, not swim suits." He grinned. "Fencing foils are apparently more expensive than ice skating costumes."

"Sometimes you have to have the great gear," Hilda agreed.

"You're fencing now, Mr. Dala?" one of the others asked, smiling at him and taking his arm.

"No but my handler at the Reeds Center is."

"Handler?"

"The one who makes training schedules, keeps track of his scores and meets, all that," Hilda said with a smile. "It's like an assistant for him but only for the sports things and they work with a few different athletes."

"She's also got a women's soccer team," Antonio said with a smile. "They spoil me greatly there. So much more than a gym with a diving area. We have trainers for physical fitness, classes if we want them, there's a great cafeteria that does amazing things with healthy food for us. A lot of serious athletes are there and it's made me a lot more serious about my own skills to be with them."

"So like a spa for training?" she asked.

"No, only training things. It's not for relaxing. If I need a massage they're going to work on the problems, not make me sleepy and happy."

"I didn't know places like that existed."

"There's about seven of them in the US," Hilda said. "The Reeds Center is by the office and where he used to train when he was actively competing."

"That's good then. I hope to see you competing soon, Antonio." She strolled off.

Antonio looked at his ex-wife, who shrugged and smiled. "I hope you do too. It'll do a lot for older athletes. It's all about the young kids and no one remembers how good the older ones are." They walked off again. They found their seats in the theater and settled in to watch the play.

***

Beth's assistant Amanda leaned into her office. "One of my athletes needs me to go to an awards dinner, one of the big official ones. Help?" she begged.

Beth smiled. "I've done that a few times, including to the ESPY awards. You need a nice looking formal gown, preferably one you can pronounce the name of the designer if you're asked, which isn't all that usual. That's only for the big names." She grinned. "Comfortable heels if you can find them. Pretty but not overstated, just be the frame for his magnificence."

"Where do I even start?"

"Go to one of the mid-priced names and tell them you have to escort an athlete you manage to an awards dinner. Quit panicking."

"Will the center pay for it?"

"That I don't know. I have a gown so I just use that one usually."

"You need a new one," Major Bill said as he walked past the office door. "Amanda, try black or another dark color. It's easier to match anything with for them."

"Thanks, Major. Got a name for me?"

"I liked Armani when they had to make me go to one. I have no idea if they do women's clothes or not." He smiled. "Ask Gwenny. She's gone to a lot of them because she's pretty, has good manners, and can hold a conversation."

"I can do that. Thanks. Do I need to know anything protocol wise?"

"Use great manners," Beth said. "Especially table manners. I got a few dirty looks for how I placed my fork a few times." Amanda grimaced. "Gwenny's probably been to most of the events so I agree, let her tell you what you need to know." She nodded, going to find Gwenny. Beth smiled at Bill when he leaned in. "I'm so glad I don't have to go."

"Maybe next year, when you're higher up in the field." He strolled off again. "I'm looking forward to you getting awards beyond competition trophies, Beth."

"Yes, sir." She got back to work, smiling some. Al sighed as he walked in. "Big problems with your gear or your ex-wife?"

"The ex-wife is a whore," he said as he sat down. "She's all about the money for her pleasure. She's still trying to get more by lying about things." Beth nodded she remembered that about her. "I apparently need an emergency lift to an event I didn't know was going on but it's a qualifying one. It's supposed to be next month but the site for it is saying it's next week."

"Okay. What site?" He handed that sheet over. She looked it up. "The local event is booked for that later address, not on their site. Hmm." She dialed the number. "Hi, I'm Beth DeSanda, a handler at the Reeds Center. One of our athletes is coming to the qualifying shooting match in a month but your site seems to have changed the date. Has it been moved?" She listened, leaning back. "Oh, two events." She looked at him, getting a hand wave and a shrug. "Al Stanwood." She nodded, making notes.

"That's good, that's what he was worried about. So both events? Is there an opening for him at the sooner one? Oh, that's paralympics. That's great, we have a shooter here who does that. Can you email me info on that event for him please? B-underline-DeSandra at the Reeds, all one word, dot com." She smiled at him. "I can and you do have him listed for that one? Great. Thank you. That's wonderful. I see the email already. You have a great day, Marjorie." She hung up. "It's for paralympics."

"That's wonderful. Richard could use some more comps. Nothing for me in that one?"

"Skeet."

"No. Thanks anyway." He stood up. She printed the email so he could hand it to Richard. "I'll let him know. What's Amanda in a tizzy over?"

"Events."

"Oh, them. I'm so glad I don't have to go to those." He strolled off, finding Richard just getting into the firing range. He handed over the email on his way to the lockers.

"I didn't know they were having one. Huh. I'll have to check into that. It's real soon though."

"I panicked. I'm in for the qualifying one in a month." Al grinned. "Beth can make travel arrangements."

"I usually drive. I like to drive. Means I don't have to deal with TSA people over the hook, or worse the stewardesses who're scared I'm a pirate there to rape and pillage during the flight." He put it into his bag to call them later. He and Al got to work on their gear first. They both needed some fine tuning after their last meets that weekend. "Does Beth do the event circuit?"

"She has in the past. Amanda's asking Gwenny for advice for her first one too. Gwenny gets to do it a lot because she's a perky blonde with breasts who looks nice in evening gowns."

"She was hot," Richard agreed. "My wife would be jealous."

"Your wife was pretty and I'm sure she'd love events."

"She loathes those things. They ask her stupid things and it makes her head hurt. She doesn't deal well with stupid."

"Me either," Al agreed. "Thankfully there's not that many for shooters unless it's a world team or olympic year and we won." He gave Richard a scary grin. "I've only had one of those so far. We got a team bronze."

"You poor guy," he said with a pat on the arm. "You'll endure. Maybe you can bring Beth."

"I've offered. A few times."

"She could use it because there was an official car flying UAE flags when I came in."

Al called her office, getting her. "Beth, Richard spotted an embassy vehicle on his way in. UAE, Beth." She groaned, even Richard could hear it. "Okay, just be safe." He hung up. "She's going to hide with Celia."

"You two are a cute couple."

"We're not that together. For us, it's stress relief." He looked at his fellow shooter. "She doesn't do relationships."

"I've known a few women like that in my life. I changed one of them into my wife though." He grinned. "Have fun."

"Thanks." They got back to work.

Upstairs, Beth closed things and gathered her purse, heading down to the ice rink. She tapped on her tablet on the way, sneaking in there. The two coaches stared at her. "An official UAE vehicle was here."

"Hide away," Celia's coach agreed. "Before they try to kidnap you again, Beth."

"Thanks." She settled in a corner, sending a message to maintenance that the speakers were out again and then an email to the director telling him she was hiding. He appreciated that according to his assistant who said they were bothering him. "They're with the director," she muttered. "Great."

Celia skated over, hopping up onto the wall. "Did you send something about the speakers?"

"Yup." She smiled at her. "They're with the director." Celia said something rude in Russian. "Exactly."

A guard leaned in. "DeSandra, the director's going to be eaten alive if you don't show up to smack someone."

"Great," she said sarcastically. "Damn it." She stood up, looking at herself then at Celia, who was taking off her skates. "No, you have practice."

"She goes with you," Celia's coach ordered. "Al too please." He called up there. "Al, the diplomats are with the director and have summoned Beth." He hung up on the swearing. "Be safe, Beth. We'd miss you more than I would Celia nagging me about my tea intake."

She nodded. "I'd miss you guys too." She walked off with Celia and the guard. Al met them at the director's waiting area. "Thanks, guys."

"I'm hoping they're going to apologize for taking you," Al said, looking at Celia, who smiled at him. They were let in by the assistant, who was wincing. Al walked in first, smiling at the director. "You wanted to see Beth, sir?"

"Yes they did, Al. We didn't really need you or Celia though."

"Pity but Beth doesn't get too far from us most of the time."

She pinched him on the arm. "Be nicer." She looked at the ambassador. "You wished to speak to me about the ones who've kidnaped me twice now?"

"We do not believe...."

She walked around the director to get into his filing cabinets, pulling out the files. She dropped one in front of him. "The State Department report on how I had to kill two people to get out of your embassy last year." She dropped the other one. "The FBI reports on the one the other day." She stared at him. "Frankly, I'm at the point where me being upset is a bad idea. I would appreciate an apology and them leaving me alone. If that's not why you're here I don't know why you asked for my attendance."

"You are overly full of yourself, young lady."

"No, Ambassador, I'm pissed off," she said. "No woman should be kidnaped and drugged."

"You are married to him."

"I doubt that. I haven't ever been married. Never even went to a wedding for anyone else."

"We have the papers."

Al snatched them to look over. "Forgeries of her signature."

"Her father signed it," he sneered.

"My father's unknown," Beth said dryly. "My mother went to the grave with that secret. Also, the only one who could have signed that for me also works here and I doubt he would have. Especially since I'm over the age of consent and would have to sign it myself." She took the forms to look over, shaking her head. "Not even a good forgery. Pity." She looked at him. "So I take it more people in your country don't know the meaning of the word 'no'?" He stood up, huffing in anger. "I find you really annoying, Ambassador, especially since I had to spend time in the hospital to clear the drugs they gave me."

"Considering they used enough to have killed you, you are not alone in that anger," Al said quietly, staring at the man. "She said no thank you many times. Real men know what the word 'no' means." The ambassador stomped off. "State Department?" he guessed, looking at the director.

"I was asked not to make a problem for relations," Director Bell said dryly, staring at her. "Calm down."

"Hell no!" He rolled his eyes. "You wouldn't be calm if it was your wife."

"No, I would've killed him," the director agreed.

"Don't tempt me." She walked off. "Let me network. I'm hoping someone knows someone who can make them commit suicide for me." She went to PR, leaning in. "Busy?"

"Slightly. Problems with an athlete?"

"The UAE's ambassador just showed up with forged paperwork stating the person who had kidnaped me was my spouse. I need to talk to someone before they try again."

"Ummmmm.... I'll ask a few reporters." Beth smiled and nodded, heading off. "Oh, dear." She sent a message to the Director, who agreed it was needed before Beth pulled out one of Al's guns to use on them.

Beth ran into the gym's favorite trainer, hugging him. "Thanks, Toby."

"For what?"

"For letting me go hit something until I'm no longer mad about forged paperwork." She held them up for him.

He took them to read, then pointed at a room. "No one's in the yoga room and there's that speed bag in there. You have fun with that, Beth, and we'll ignore any screaming in rage." She nodded, going in there with the forms. Toby winced at the slammed door, shaking his head when his trainers looked at him. "Forged wedding certificate," he mouthed. They all shuddered. "Beth's a spitfire."

"That's putting it mildly," one of the female soccer team's players said. "I've seen her go off on someone for doing something stupid. This is going to be *so* bad."

"Yup," Toby agreed. "Ten more reps, Helga." She nodded, getting back into it.
Chapter 11 by CE Dalton
Chapter 11



Beth walked into the judge's office with her attorney and a security guard from the center, just in case. She sat down when the judge pointed. The ambassador sneered at her as he stomped in. The judge cleared his throat. "I have in front of me paperwork asking for Miss Albada to be deported?"

"That is not my name," Beth said. "Never has been. Mr. Albada was deported for kidnaping me, Your Honor." She handed over those forms. "Also in there are other certified letters countering their insistence on forged paperwork being real."

He looked them over, grimacing. "This is foul."

"Yes it is," Beth's lawyer agreed. "That's why I'm here, Your Honor."

"Good." He read the other certified letters, pausing at one. "Is that one necessary?"

"It's clearly an indication that I'm not married, and that's also why they picked me, Your Honor."

"I see." He looked at the ambassador. "I have reports from two government agencies, your government's version of the State Department, and a few others stating that she was not married to Mr. Albada."

"We have paperwork stating she was."

"Which is forged," Beth said. "He told me in front of a few friends and the director of the Reeds Center that my father had signed it. As I'm twenty this year, my father is unknown, my mother is dead, and my adoptive parent is livid enough to call some of his former Army buddies, I'm pretty sure they're forgeries, Your Honor."

"I'll see these forms," he ordered. They were handed over. "Hmm. Who is Bill... I can't read the writing."

"That's different from the ones he presented to my director." She pulled those out of her bag, handing them over. "Major Bill Gulip is the man who adopted me but he is not going to sign anything, much less that sort of form."

"I see the differences." He stared at the ambassador. "Even in your country, women have to sign for themselves if they're over the age of consent. Why is her name not signed?"

"The judge probably wouldn't allow it."

"You're the third judge I've ever seen, Your Honor, but the other two were for my athletes having problems."

"Is there any truth to anything about you wanting to be there?" the judge asked. She shook her head. "Not at all?"

"No. I've turned down all their generous offers to be their olympic star, Your Honor. I've had multiple offers to go join them and marry into a good family. It's not my style. Nor will it hopefully ever be unless I have to suddenly marry for my own safety from them."

"You have slept with your husband," the Ambassador sneered. "You miscarried last year."

"Yet, she has a doctor's statement stating she's still a virgin," the judge said, holding it up. "There's no evidence of any tampering or replacing the hymen. Which I didn't know was possible but I suppose it's something that can be done." The ambassador spluttered. "Have you considered doing something to stop this?" the judge asked.

"I was in a club to take care of that letter's issue when they drugged me, Your Honor. He had the bartender do it. They pulled me off a plane."

"I saw that. No boyfriend?" She shook her head. "Do you identify as asexual?"

"No, I'm busy. I handle a few different athlete's needs plus juggle a part-time college career so I can go higher in my job. Plus my own training times. I haven't had time to date since I was fourteen." The judge smiled. "Otherwise that might not have been a problem. As far as I know I am heterosexual and interested in men. Just not their men."

"I can see why. Pushing too hard would be a deterrent." He looked over the forms again. "I see no reason for her to deported to a country she's never been to," the judge decided. "Even if the State Department would like this to subtly go away."

"If they try to force things, I'm going on the national news," she warned. "I've already given two interviews about this stupidity. I'm not against holding a press conference on the courthouse stairs, Your Honor. My director would be mad but I'm fairly certain I can find another job if I must."

"I'd hope that wasn't necessary, young lady." She smiled. "Though I can see how it might help." He sighed as he looked at the ambassador. "You have not a legal leg to stand on, even if you were at home, Ambassador. Your version of the State Department said so." He handed over that report. "I do believe we're done here and I hope you don't force Miss DeSandra to ever make that press conference." The ambassador sneered and said something in Arabic.

Beth's lawyer sneered. "I doubt even HE would be mad at her for standing up for herself. Allah likes strong women. They make the best mothers." The ambassador stomped off in a huff. He smiled at Beth, who patted his arm with a grin. "Thank you, Your Honor."

"I hope you manage it, Miss DeSandra." He handed back the paperwork.

"Me too. I really don't want to marry just to be safe." She stood up. "Thank you for your time, sir." She shook his hand and walked off with her lawyer and the guard. Outside, someone rushed up to them and tried to shoot the lawyer and the guard but the guard shot them instead. Beth sneered at them, shaking her head. "Wow, you're really stupid." Officers came rushing out. "The security guard that came with me got him," she said.

"Sir, we need your gun," one said. The guard handed it over and let them look at his ID and concealed carry permit. "Why were you here today?"

Beth grimaced. "Some ambassador has forged paperwork saying I married an idiot who had tried to kidnap me. He wanted me deported to their country."

The officer grimaced. "I saw something about that in the paper." Beth waved a hand. Someone shot at them again, grazing her. She yelped and the guard covered her, getting her back inside. A paramedic on hand came over to check her injuries. The lawyer was giving a statement a few feet away. The guard was giving his own statement. Beth was calming down. "Miss?" the officer with her asked quietly. "Can you tell me who you think did this?"

She handed over the report from the last kidnaping. "I'm pretty sure it was them. There's no one else who hates me or wants me that much."

"All right." He glanced over the report, frowning. "What morons."

"Exactly." Someone in military garb was stomping up the stairs. "Please let that be a non-problem," she muttered. The man stomped in. "Sergeant, are you all right?" she called. "Did they bother you?"

He glanced around until he saw her. "No, ma'am, I'm here for my divorce hearing."

"Good luck," she said with a faint smile. "I've seen others."

He nodded. "They yours?"

"No, they wanted me."

"Real men don't kidnap," he snorted, going to the security line.

She smiled. "I'm glad."

"Me too." He handed back the report, going over to talk to his supervisor, who was not amused. He had that facial cramp that said he was very not amused. He hissed in his ear, getting a nod. "The tapes, sir?"

"Showed the guard protected them." He looked over. "Do they have suitable ways home?"

"They have a car rented according to the guard," another officer said, coming over to show his report. The supervisor nodded. "We were handling it when she got grazed."

"Wonderful. Any idea who they were?"

"Not yet, sir, but officers went to find them so we could ask. No clue if they found them. We've been in here with her," the second officer said.

The supervisor nodded, looking over. "The lawyer?"

"Hers." He went to get the report from Beth, coming back with it. "Same people."

He read it, grimacing. "Okay. Make sure they get wherever." He handed the report back. "Make sure we have the guard's information in case someone needs a more formal statement. Escort them to their car." The officers nodded, getting them out a side entrance while the lawyer went to grab the car to bring around. The supervisor called that in.

Beth walked into the Center, shaking her head as she ran the pass. "Is the head of the security team here? He'll want to meet us up in the office. His guy had to defend me." She walked off with the security guard.

The head of the security team met them up there. "I heard on the scanner. You okay?" he asked his guard, who nodded. "You sure?"

"Yup. Still pissed they had a sniper too, sir."

Beth hugged his arm. "Thank you."

"It's not a problem, Beth. You're a sweet girl but guys like that shouldn't exist." He patted her cheek with a smile. "My wife's going to smell your perfume and have a fit."

"I'll call her," she promised, doing that while they waited. She walked a few feet off to sit down again. "Hi, Misses Kyle. It's Beth DeSandra at the Center. Your husband's fine but he had to hurt someone earlier to save and protect me. No, he's okay. The police cleared it but he's having a scowling moment at me. He wanted you to know he was all right. Of course." She walked her phone over to him.

"Hey, Sophie." He listened, smiling at her. "Yeah, that's Beth. No, someone tried to shoot her. Twice. Exactly. No, I'm okay, not even a bruise. She got a graze from the sniper we didn't know they had. I'll be home about normal time. Sure, I'm okay and a quiet night in would be great. Thanks, Sophie." He hung up and handed back the phone. "Sneaky."

She smiled. "Of course. Cuddles are important after bad days." The director opened the door, staring at them. "Are they here yet?"

"Yes, they are. What happened?" he demanded.

"The judge agreed there's no reason to deport me, then they tried to kill me. Twice. Thank you for lending me the guard, Director."

He blinked at her. "Excuse me!" he demanded, looking at the guard.

"One ran up on us trying to shoot me and the lawyer, Director. Then there was a sniper that grazed her. I'm guessing they were going to injure her enough to get her from the ER."

"They can't have good shooters. Al or Richard never would've missed, much less Stephni," she said dryly. "They could've hit me on the knee or something easily." She looked at the director. "The judge also saw the report from their own government about how this was an embarrassment." She handed over that form with a smile.

The director looked it over then handed it to the agent in his office. "Get in here." She and the guards walked in. "Okay, from the top, people." He sat down and readied himself for that report. It was interrupted by Al showing up and hauling her up to take her downstairs. "She's fine, Al."

"She got shot," he called back. "It's me or Bill, sir."

"It's just a graze. They have sucky people," she soothed, patting him on the arm. "You guys would never have been that bad."

He glared at her. "Not cute. Don't make me carry you."

"I'm not. I figured you guys would show up soon." He nodded, taking her down to the on-site infirmary where Bill was pacing. "I'm okay. It's just a graze. The paramedic there said to use some neosporin or burn cream on it." She let Bill stare at her before hugging her. She relaxed in his arms. "They have sucky shooters. No wonder newbies can beat them at comps."

He snorted, pushing her back. "Let's see it." She rolled up her sleeve so the nurse could check the wound for her. Al was clearly seething by the look on his face. "Al, nothing rash."

"That means you can't do more than mildly complain to your old Army buddies," Beth said, staring at him.

"Oh, they've heard." He looked at the nurse. She was rebandaging the wound. "Is she fine?"

"She'll probably have a small scar, but otherwise she's fine, Major." She smiled at him. "It's clean, it'll heal well. It's not deep, just barely got her skin. No fencing for a few days, Beth."

"That's fine. I need a heavy bag to beat instead anyway," she quipped. "I should get back to the State Department agent in the head office." She pushed down her sleeve, getting off the bed. Al hugged her. She hugged back. "I'm okay."

"Uh-huh." He looked at Bill. "You or me staying with her tonight?"

"You can. I'll stalk her today and tomorrow just in case." He looked at her. She was grinning at him. "Anything else I should know?"

"They redid the forgeries. Now it says you signed it. They misspelled your last name."

Bill grimaced. "I doubt I'd ever sell you into marriage, Beth. Even when you used to be a bouncy teenage girl." He walked off muttering under his breath about this.

Al looked at her. "So, I'll be on your couch tonight."

"Cool. I'll make popcorn since I probably won't be sleeping."

He smiled. "That'll work. Celia can pick up burgers." He nodded politely at the nurse and led her back upstairs.

The agent stood up when she walked in. "Are you all right?"

"It's clean. May scar a bit but it's not real deep," she said quietly. "Thank you for asking." She sat down in the free chair when the director pointed. "What am I doing about them beyond fighting back?"

"I've called our boss. He's talking to their boss to see if the ambassador can be recalled. It's a huge embarrassment to them."

"I would've thought it was one last year when I had to shoot my way out of the embassy."

"They hadn't heard about that for some reason." He smirked a tiny bit. "My boss sent over the files. Apparently there was some praying for patience."

"That's great. Why was there a sniper?"

"To take you from the ER," the agent said. "That's all we could see it for." He looked at the director then at her. "You're safe in here but I wouldn't go out just to have fun until this is resolved."

"I only go out now for college classes and grocery shopping. Fun happens very irregularly. Last time to try to invalidate me for their needs."

"Please do if you can," the agent said. "That may help."

Al cleared his throat but nodded. "We're all letting her meet nice guys who could fix that." She looked up at him. "I even talked to the brother-in-law I don't usually admit I have about you. His son's about your age but he hates that girls play sports." She rolled her eyes. He looked out when he heard the elevator open, clearing his throat. "She's fine, Dala."

"Bullshit! She got shot."

"It's a graze," Beth said, rolling back up her sleeve. "It's really shallow. They weren't any good. Even people who can barely shoot could've done better."

He stared down at her. "Don't help." She rolled her eyes. He looked at Al then at the guards. "Thank you for protecting her."

"I'm just glad I could," the guard on Beth said. "That one running up to us had official paperwork from their embassy for his ID."

"I'm going to have Hilda halt anything we sell to them," Antonio said.

She grabbed his phone from him. "Making the regular people suffer for it won't help any. It's not like they can vote the people in charge out." She stared at him. "It won't help. Otherwise I'd be all for it." She handed the phone back, making him glare at her. She stared back. "Making them mad at me for their being without things they want or need won't help."

"She's right, it won't," Al agreed.

"You're all way too calm," Antonio complained.

"We'll be shaky in private later," Beth said. "I'll have nightmares and keep Al up so he can watch movies with me until I can get back to sleep."

His phone rang and Antonio looked at it, grinning. "Hilda went psychic again. She knew I was about to text her before you stopped me." He sent one back quickly then put his phone up. He stared at her. "Let us help you? Please? I hate being the worried bystander."

"If you can help, I'll gladly take it," Beth promised, patting him on the arm. "These people scare me too. I just can't allow myself to show it because that'll give them a weakness to exploit."

Bill nodded. "That would be one, yes." He patted over her hair. "I'll escort you to the gym so you can work out."

"Let me change first. I can't go hit the heavy bag in the suit, Bill." She looked at the director, who waved a hand. "Have a better day, sirs." She got up and walked off. Al, Antonio, and Bill all followed. Celia ghosted behind them once they made it to the gym. Beth smiled at her. "I'm fine, Celia. Thankfully the guard was with me."

"Fine does not equal the rumors that you were shot," Celia said quietly. The whole gym stopped to look at them.

"They had a sniper," Beth said. "He only grazed me. I'm okay. It's been checked twice, including by Bill. I'm pretty sure they're going to stop it now."

"They had better," she warned. She moved closer. "Should I talk to my friend who happens to know some nice people?"

"I..." She sighed. "I don't know."

"Hmm. We'll talk about that later since you probably won't be sleeping right tonight."

"Al's already claimed the couch," she quipped. "That leaves the chaise for you if you want it." She grinned.

"There's other places to sleep." She looked at her arm. "Let us hit things."

"Don't stress her arm out," Bill ordered. "We don't want the scab to open."

"Of course not," Celia agreed, taking her to the room with the boxing equipment. They needed to vent like women for a bit.

Al looked at Bill. Who stared back. "If so, I would not mind as her father," he said quietly. He went to his own area to work out. He needed to let go of some anger before one of the twits that pretended to be an athlete set it off.

Antonio stared at Al, who shrugged. "You can help Bill stalk her around tomorrow."

"Thanks. Let me know what else I can do. Including taking her with me to my race next month?" He walked off muttering and talking to Hilda. She understood and sympathized, plus she had plenty of mean ideas thanks to him.

Al went to watch the ladies hit things. Celia was helping Beth's form for hitting, it was sweet to see. Kinda hot too.

The other trainers looked at each other and decided they really had to make sure all the ladies knew who they could run to for safety. They'd start with the handler corps since a few of them were very young too. Only one might get the notice of unethical douchebags from overseas and she had a boyfriend so she could cure it soon.

Toby walked into the emergency meeting he had called, looking around. "Ladies," he said. They all stared at him. "Beth is back and she's all right, even though they had a sniper to try to get her after the hearing." A few gaped. He nodded. "We want all of you to be safe. I'm aware a few of you would fit their...desired type of athlete and we're all a bit worried that you'll get the wrong notice. You guys all know you can come to us, right? Myself, most of my trainers, Major Bill? A few of the athletes as well. Oh, Stephni, Al's in a huge temper."

"Figured he was," she said dryly. "I would be too. Beth's a nice young woman. She doesn't deserve this. They tried to shoot her?"

"Bill was muttering it'd be a plan to get her from the ER," Toby said. He looked around again. "We, all of us guys here, want to make sure you ladies can protect yourself and if it happens that you can't, that you can run to us. Even if I'm in the middle of something, I'll drop someone onto the bed and come help you ladies." A few smiled. "And if you're eligible to their way of thought, I'm not going to say a *thing* about that. We protect each other here."

One of the senior females looked back at the two young ones. "You two safe?"

"Probably," one said, blushing hard. "I think I'm going to suggest it though. I wanted to wait but ... I don't think I'm good enough for what they want."

"They need coaches and trainers too," Toby said.

"Yeah, I'll talk to my mom and boyfriend tonight then." She cleared her throat. "Beth's really all right?"

"She and Celia are in the boxing room in the gym," Toby said. "Bill's heaving weights. Al's hovering protectively, and Antonio Dala's running on a treadmill that stares at that room's door." He grinned. "Just...if you get scared, even if it's a normal guy, let us know so we can help. I'd go running to Gwenny if I had one after me. I'd expect you guys to do the same thing. All right?" They nodded. "Good. Can you guys have talks with the female athletes?" They all nodded. "Good. Let us know if we can help. Also, Gwenny, your brace is in." She smiled at him. "It's on my desk. I meant to grab it. Sorry."

"It's all right. Some time away from my desk would be great since none of my athletes are in today. I can grab it on my way shopping with Amanda. Oh, ladies, it's awards season again." A few groaned. "I'm taking our future great handler shopping for her first event, if any of you need to come you can join us this afternoon."

"I could use it," one of the other handlers agreed. "I know my old one is getting worn out. Doesn't Beth go to those?"

"Only if we ask really a lot," Al said, leaning in. "Toby, one of your guys just went off on his girlfriend, and Antonio's presently holding them apart because it got down to a fist fight that clocked Celia and Beth when they tried to break it up." He nodded, following. "Remember, ladies, a lot of us guys are neanderthal boobs in the protectiveness area," he said with a grin. "Most of us like you guys too and will gladly put those lower brow urges to work to protect you if you need us to." He disappeared. Bill had been called away but was back now keeping the warring parties apart; he had the female athlete because she was stronger than Antonio was. Toby stomped in to deal with it, Al strolling in behind him after grabbing a few ice packs from the freezer in there. The ladies took the packs and went back to the boxing room. Al followed because he didn't want to have to hear the lecture those two were in for.
Chapter 12 by CE Dalton
Chapter 12




Al watched Celia sleep then looked at Beth, who was curled against his side on the couch. He yanked on a piece of hair, making her look up at him. "So," he said quietly, staring at her. She blushed, ducking her head. "At least you know it won't harm anything. I'm really good at it too," he offered with a grin.

"I...." She glanced at Celia then at him. "It'll get weird."

"It won't get weird. Even if you stalk me around, I'm still good with it, Beth. No strings or anything. I'm not looking for a second wife."

She nodded. "I still think that's a bad idea. The fraternization rules...."

"Director Bell stated that he'd look the other way for whoever you had fun with. Even if you did have to take the next day off suddenly." She blushed brighter red. "We went behind your back to arrange things but at least it's helpful and no one's going to say anything." He kissed her gently, making her giggle. "Nerves, huh? Figures." He pulled her into his lap, kissing her better this time. She moaned a tiny bit. He smirked. "See, told you I was okay at it." He went back to it. When she tensed at his hand moving down her back, he turned it into a tickling session, which broke the tension and made her laugh again. He picked her up to carry her into the bedroom, kicking the door shut so she wouldn't have to worry about Celia hearing. Though she would, because he could already tell Beth was going to be loud. "We have a lot of things you can learn tonight. Where did you want to start beyond the obvious?" he quipped, taking off his shirt and laying back down.

"It seems silly that we're both still partially dressed," she said, still blushing. "I've only seen artwork and they never have muscles." She pointed at the drawer, letting him grab a condom from the dusty box she had in there.

He grinned. "We can do that. Wiggle free of the jammies." She did that, tossing them at the end of the bed. He dropped his sweat pants on top of his t-shirt, showing he wasn't wearing any underwear. She stared, then reached out to touch him. "That's fine. Explore all you want, Beth." She flipped onto her side, running her hands over him. A few places she looked up when she got to, making him smile. "Raunchy novels?"

"Of course. My aunt gave me one for sex ed." He laughed. "Bill's was clinical and included a book on classical art." She went back to exploring. His nipples didn't do more than get a grunt when she pinched them but scratching over them lightly with her nails got a bit more noise. His stomach was ticklish, he moved away from her hands in one spot, making her smirk. "Payback?"

"Later. You can get me later."

She nodded, getting back to testing his stomach muscles. Then his hips. He spread out a bit for her. She got to her knees to give her both hands to work with. Classical artwork barely had penises, much less anything else showing. She had a lot of new things to explore. A careful finger running up the bottom of his cock making him grunt and shift some. A firmer finger running up it made him smile. Her full hand smoothing over the head made him moan and get harder. His balls were felt, they were soft and a bit fuzzy, but he didn't pull away from her hand. "Hurts?"

"No, you're gentle enough."

"Cool." She went back to her playing and exploring. He took her hand to show her how to stroke him better, which was liked. "I know the main function and I've heard the others talking about blow jobs."

"They're always nice to give and I'm one of the nice guys that reciprocate." He smiled. "You can try if you want. Just don't get me with your teeth. Or do like my first girlfriend, who thought that blowing me meant just puffing air across the head."

She laughed. "I know more than that." She got closer to it, looking at it. A careful lick across the head and he tensed up. "Too much?"

"Not nearly enough. Please?" She shrugged but tried again, letting him gently push on her head so she stuck the head into her mouth to suck on for a few seconds. "Down?" he begged. She tried to move further down but came off rubbing her jaw. "Yeah, that happens until you get used to it. Use your hand to play with whatever you're not licking," he instructed. She nodded, trying it again. This time his moan was loud enough to wake someone on the other side of the wall. "Oh, yeah, baby. More, please?" She went a bit further down and he felt her gag reflex hit, easing back on her. She tried again.

"Swallow," he ordered quietly. "That'll help that gagging." She did and he twitched in her mouth. "Use your tongue." She did that and it was good. She was doing more than okay for her first time. He finally got to the point where he'd be unable to do anything but come, pulling her off to kiss her. "My turn." She giggled a bit nervously but he smirked and started by trailing kisses down to her breasts, sucking on each nipple while he played with the other one.

When they were nicely hard and damp, he slid down to tease her stomach with his tongue, including nibbling on the rim of her bellybutton. Then he went lower, nosing through the hair there, making her spread out for him. He spread her out for his pleasure, looking it over before sliding in to lick her hole, moving up to her clit. She let out a loud moan, flinching up. He grinned. "It's a handy little spot to have, huh?" He went back to teasing her until she was making begging noises.

"Damn it, I don't know what to do," she gasped.

"Just...let it go, Beth. I've got you and it'll be easier on you if you've had a lot of fun first." She swallowed air but he got her back to the point of losing her mind. She finally came, letting him use his fingers to spread the extra fluid around. He slowly stretched her with his fingers while he casually teased her clit, it kept her focused on the pleasure instead of the mild burn of the stretch. He used his free hand to roll the condom on, getting ready for the next part. When he felt it was enough, he eased up to kiss her, sliding in and through the small barrier, making her gasp. "Shh, I've got you and it'll be okay." He reached down to tease her clit, making her relax again. He slowly moved in deeper, making her wiggle. "Put the legs around my hips." She did and he moved a bit further in. "That's a good girl," he said in her ear. "Just relax." She shook her head. "It'll be easier when you relax."

"I can't. Too much feeling."

"Hmm, but that's a good thing, right?" He pulled out then pushed in, making her gasp. "You have a lot more of that coming. Can you relax just a bit more and I'll go in deeper." She spread her hips wider for him, earning a smile. "That's good. I like that. Just stay comfy. If your leg cramps let me know and we'll change positions." He slowly eased out then back in a bit harder and faster, working his way up to a harder, faster ride that was making her pant and wiggle. He flipped her over, staring up at her. "You try it. Every woman should be able to take her own pleasure of a guy if she wants to." She slowly got used to the riding motion, his hands on her hips to guide her. "Not so hard," he warned. "I'll end up bending and that'll hurt us both." She eased up. He flipped her onto her side and spooned behind her, sliding back in.

"I was about to make a joke about anal sex already," she panted. "But this is nice."

"It is very nice." He kissed her neck, nibbling on the shoulder muscles. "That's a much later lesson if you wanted it to be," he said in her ear, making her shiver. "I'll show you whatever you want me to, Beth." He lifted her top leg up, putting it over his so he had a better angle of penetration. It let him get harder and deeper again. She nearly squealed when he reached around to touch her clit again. "A lot of women can't get off without that being played with. This position and doggy style are both good for that." She looked back at him, taking a kiss. "Up to you." She nodded so he let her change position to her knees.

He spread her out better. "Easier on me. Legs totally closed makes you tighter and that's for entirely different things." He slid back in, going harder and faster from the start. She yelped but arched back into him. "With the thrust, Beth. Meet me." He pulled her hips back in time with his, making it better. He could feel she was close and he was ready to explode too. He reached back around to tease her clit again, making her shriek and go stiff, which drove him over the edge. He panted, kissing up her spine while he eased her back down. She flopped down, him falling beside her. The condom got forced off and tied off to be tossed out by her. She turned her head to kiss him, getting one back. He grinned. "Nap. It's a good time for a nap." He yawned. "You wore me out."

She laughed, laying her head on his shoulder. "Napping is a great idea. Thank you."

He kissed her again. "Never a problem." She snuggled into his side, going to sleep while he laid there happy until he drifted off.

Out in the living room, Celia smiled and snuck to the bathroom to clean herself up. She had enjoyed the noisy sex too. It was only natural. Some day she'd have to see if Beth might swing her way as well. It could be a lot of fun. Though in a bigger bed than Beth had.

***

Beth opened the bedroom door the next morning and went bright red at the sight of Celia. "Forgot I was here?" she teased with a grin. She kissed her on the cheek. "He's very good at making a woman happy." She winked. "I started coffee."

"Thanks." She looked back, making Al laugh. "Fine, it's my first morning after, I'm allowed to be awkward."

Al pulled her into a deeper kiss. "It's normal anyway." He kissed her again then Celia accepted one. "Besides, she probably ignored it. I make her swear in Russian at me." He went in to get coffee and start a second pot since her little four cup maker was already empty with his single cup.

Beth looked at Celia. "I...."

"We are not connected by more than the occasional bout of sexual relations on the couch after winning," Celia told her.

"Okay. Then I won't worry. Tell me if I'm acting like a teenage girl?"

"Of course. Quit blushing and you're good." She smiled, taking a real kiss. Beth blinked at her but it was a good kiss. Celia winked at her. "If you should want to think about that, let me know."

"I had to tickle her," Al said. "She got tense."

"As was normal. I simply froze up because we got caught by the training center staff. In Russia, it's highly unapproved for athletes to have relationships. Though my coach said it was normal to wonder and his congratulated him on landing me. We were reminded we were not allowed to marry until we were down to being coaches ourselves. He is a fantastic one now." She took her mug of coffee from Al.

"Do you miss him?" Beth asked.

"No. I decided it was time to deal with that issue and picked the least offensive of the male athletes at the training camp to waylay. He was decent at it but nothing spectacular. Unlike Al's tenaciousness in bed, Dimitri was not into anything too long lasting." She shrugged. "It was good enough."

"Wow. Most girls have been fed so many romantic notions that they're highly disappointed if it's not flowers and candles with specially timed orgasms," Beth said.

"Only in the US," Al quipped. "Most of the women elsewhere are a bit more practical, even as teenagers. They'd like some romance but outside Europe it's not usually the way it goes."

"Also usually on the wedding night instead," Celia agreed. "Sometimes that's the first time you see your husband. I pity those women."

Beth nodded. "Me too." She got her own coffee, sitting down. "I missed gym time today."

"That's fine. You're allowed a few hours of slacking," Al said. "Really you are." He kissed her on the top of the head. "Let me shower in the changing area."

"Use mine, Al."

"I don't have clean clothes up here," he said with a grin. "Besides, everyone knows I was on your couch last night." He winked and left, going to shower and change in the changing rooms.

Celia smiled. "Wanting to cling is normal," she assured her. "Or have a second go in the morning. Many women would."

"I wouldn't mind but I'm a bit...sore," Beth said.

Celia nodded. "That's normal."

"Good to know." She took a sip. "He's a good cuddler."

"He is, but I don't allow cuddling." She smiled. "He likes to cuddle much more than I do."

"Really?"

"Cuddling is like a deeper emotion that I'm not going to allow at this moment. A true relationship would take away from my training."

"Mine too," she sighed. "Which is why I never had one." She took another sip.

"Thankfully, Al is the sort to just give in when you suggest it and then leave the next morning with a goofy grin." Celia smirked at her. "If you asked him for more, he'd probably like that."

"I might too. It was really good." Celia patted her on the back. "He had a tongue thing."

"Hmmm. That tongue thing made me miss a few jumps during practice because I was thinking about it instead of my routine. My present coach forbid me to see him or anyone until my mind could focus again." She looked around at the sound of a phone going off. "I believe that's your ringtone. Mine is presently set to meow."

Beth got up to find her phone on the charging pad, answering it. "Yes, Director Bell?" She listened. "Yes, I'm going to that event. Why?" She blinked a few times. "That's an already scheduled day off. I arranged that week on purpose. No, I think I'll be fine. If they try, I'll have a lot of guards there at the event since that's against the English fencing team and they have a royal." She sipped her coffee. "Actually, I'm slacking this morning. Sorry. Just getting to coffee. Oh, I had today off. Thank you, Director. No, I'm sure I'll be okay. I won't need protection. Thank you for worrying though. You have a great day." She hung up shaking her head. "I'm hoping they've been stopped."

"We all hope they've been stopped but there's not a sign over your head, Beth." Celia stared at her. "To some who know you well, we'd see the differences. To others they may not see them. Though you are right, with a member of the near royal family in the fencing competition he'll have guards."

"Plus the events have guards." She made another pot of coffee. "Since I have today off, I can get a lot of homework out of the way." They settled in to go over ideas for Celia's new routine. She needed it to be better for the bigger event coming up.
Chapter 13 by CE Dalton
Chapter 13





A few months later, Beth was at an annoyance of a mixer event with a few of the athletes she handled. It was a US Soccer Association event to honor the people who had made the national team for the World Games and other national events that year. Two of her soccer team had made the cut and Beth was really happy for them. She was rather unhappy with the guy who had just tried to grope her pubic mound from behind but she wasn't allowed to slap some manners into him. She walked off, heading toward a few people she might know. The guy was following. Great. Just great. Beth spotted someone who really shouldn't have been there, but she had played soccer in college. "Hilda," she said, smiling and shaking her hand. Hilda gave her an odd look. "Beth DeSandra, from the Reed Center."

"Oh! You're Antonio's handler," she said with a smile, shaking her hand. "I tried so hard to teach him manners."

"He's been the most kind guy in the last few months. You did a good job with him." She shifted away from the guy, getting an understanding look back. "I noticed he hasn't been in this week so I figured you had him off doing something but the new diving scoring schedule just came out. I left a copy in his email."

"He hates email. I'll make sure he finds a copy. His locker?"

"I'd never pop someone's locker without their consent or an emergency." She turned to glare at the man trying to cop a feel. "Sir, I'm sorry, are you blind enough to not realize that's my body and not yours you're touching?" She turned back around, smiling again. "Did he also tell you that he made the top ten list for running times last month? It's a friendly competition around the center but he made it to the fourth spot."

"That's amazing actually. How are his biking times?" She moved them both away from the pushy guy.

"He's doing a bit slower, but he's just started to train for a hilly course." She stepped on the guy's foot, making him yelp. "Oh, I'm sorry, was your foot in the way?" She gave him a pointed look. Then smiled at Hilda again. "Toby's been so mean. He gave him a forty mile biking path to do for training, half of it uphill. It's a Tour de France level course. Then he smirked and told Antonio that if he could beat that in a decent time he could definitely defeat the Iron Man in Hawaii."

"That would be a hard race but I know he wants to go."

"There's one before then in San Francisco but I don't think he's decided yet. Sir, remove your hand from my nether regions before I have to quit being so polite and make you sorry. I am a brown belt in a martial arts and I'm not against using it." The man laughed. She elbowed him in the throat, making him fall over. "I warned you to quit groping me. Women like me only do it for the ring holder, not for any slob with a micropenis." She gave him another pointed look.

"Your attitude of entitlement shows that you are... compensating. You have a pleasant day, all right?" She smiled at Hilda. "I'm sorry he was so rude. He's clearly not an athlete. We don't do that sort of thing because good sportsmanship does teach manners to us. Anyway, about the San Francisco triathalon. It's a standard level but it's not as hilly as Hawaii's. A few others have said it's easier. It's definitely got a smaller crowd and a few marathoners use that part of it for training."

"I'll have to talk to him about that. I'm not sure if he realizes. Sometimes he just seems to listen. Like some men who are clearly compensating." She walked her off. "Tell me how his diving's going?"

"He's banned from the pool for another week for making fun of a younger diver that wants to be a twenty-something him." Hilda laughed. "He's gotten him a few times. Including two days off for slapping him on the head for being a bit of penis goo as he put it."

Hilda burst out laughing, nodding. "You can always tell when he insults someone. I'll remind him of that event." She winked. Beth grinned back and faded off to hang out with her soccer players. One had her husband there.

Her players looked at her and the single one smiled. "Is micropenis really real?"

"Yes, it's an actual condition," Beth said with a smile. "I researched it when Bill told me it wasn't to prove him wrong about half the football team at the neighboring high school. Though theirs was probably the steroids." The girls laughed and the husband shook his head. "I'm hoping he's just a supporter instead of an official with the league but I will not put up with someone's hands going those places. Especially not in public."

"I don't blame you. I would've clocked him," the husband said. "Or expected to be slapped around." He smiled. "You're their handler."

"I am. Beth DeSandra." She shook his hand with a smile. "They're great to work with. The whole team is."

"Now that Samantha's gone," the other one said with a grin.

"Some girls just can't give up the heels even when it's for their own good," Beth said with a smile for her. "The new girl is better, right?"

"Still very uptight but otherwise, yeah." They got back to talking about things while Beth got talked to by another athlete who wanted to know about the Center. That same guy stomped over with a security guard. "Oh, good," the soccer player said. "You guys have him in custody for trying to grope our handler against her will." She sipped her champagne with a smile for the guard.

"He groped you, ma'am?" the guard asked.

"Yes, he did. I warned him and he did it again. I even tried to evade him. He followed me across the room. He ignored it when I stepped on his foot. Apparently he doesn't have a clue he can buy."

"Especially not where he buys his tacky suits," the husband said.

"You're clearly not an athlete," the guy sneered.

"Actually, I'm third in the country for fencing with all three weapons," she said, smirking slightly at him. "I'm also the former junior national's champion in all three swords. I'm also a junior handler at the best athlete training center on the east coast." She smiled. "You?" The man stomped off. "I'm sorry he brought you from the more boring watching duties, sir. I hope the rest of your night doesn't have people like him."

"Me too, miss. Thank you for handling it quietly." He walked off smiling.

Beth looked at her athletes. "Let me go hide from men with ideas that aren't good for me, and get a milkshake on the way home." She shook hands and left, going to her rental car to go home. That same guy tried to pin her so she defended herself and called 911 when he was on the ground. The flashing ambulance lights got the security guards from the event out to help.

"Miss, how did you get him down?" an officer asked.

"I have a brown belt in Taekwondo. I went to an all girls high school so it was temper reducing."

One of the guards cleared his throat. "Officer, that young lady had to defend her rear end from the same person earlier in the night."

"Apparently he thinks 'no' has a different meaning than the rest of us," she quipped. "I did not want him to grope me, especially not going for the full on hand between my legs grope."

"You should feel lucky anyone touches you at all," the guy sneered.

Beth smirked. "I've had men of taste and wealth want into my pants and refused them. You're much less than they are. Thankfully I have high standards so guys like you and them are automatically ruled out because they're not men, they're little boys pretending to be men." She looked at the officer again. "Personally I think he's overcompensating for something." Her phone rang and she answered it. "Yes, Director Bell?" She listened. "No, I'm presently at the event with a few of my team but I'm also presently talking to an officer because I had to disable a man who thought I'd like him to finger me in public during the event." The officer winced.

"No, Director, full on grope of my clitoris from behind a few times. I tried to be more polite, I shot him down the first time I had to elbow him. Then he tried to accost me at my rental car but thankfully I do keep in practice for my brown belt as well. No, the ambulance driver has him and I'm in the middle of giving a statement. Of course, once I get back there, sir." She hung up shaking her head. "Sorry, my boss is not amused but it's better than a lot of other things."

"I'm sure it is, miss," the officer agreed. "This is your work address?"

"I rent an apartment at the center."

"Oh, all right." He made that note. "He's going to try to press charges."

"And so am I," she said with a smile. "I'm fairly certain attempted sexual assault is worse than defending myself."

"They may not want to charge him with that."

Hilda strolled over. "He's on probation for three counts of raping college girls, who look like they may have been athletes as well," she told the officer, letting him see that report. The officer made note. "So Beth defended herself."

"Thank you, Hilda." She smiled. Hilda's phone started to ring _Bad To The Bone_, making Beth crack up. "He picked out his own ringtone?" she joked.

Hilda grimaced but nodded as she walked off to answer the call. "What sort of trouble did you get into now, Antonio?" She sighed. "No, she's fine. She took him down twice now. The second at her car."

"Get your hand off my thigh before I remove the hand," a female ordered. Then the sound of someone hitting the ground. Hilda looked back, finding Beth had decked an officer for trying to grope her. "I doubt I wanted you to attempt what he did either. Is that really what you should be doing in uniform, sir?" She looked at the officer. "I'll go to jail for beating him too if you need me to."

"Um... Let me talk to my boss, miss." He walked off calling him. "Boss, a civilian just put Rodney onto his back for trying to grope her and he wasn't patting her down," he hissed. "He went right for a crotch grab of a young woman who had just defended herself from an attempted sexual assault." He listened. "No, sir, I'm not inclined to charge her with it. She protected herself. If he had gotten any farther I would've stopped him. Thank you." He hung up. "No, ma'am, you're not in trouble for him. He's in a lot of trouble for that. We wear body cameras." He gave her a weak smile. "I can finish your statement tomorrow?" She handed over a card. "Thank you, Miss DeSandra."

"I hope you have a less interesting night as well." She waved at Hilda, getting in and driving off.

Hilda smiled at the officer. "We have cameras as well."

"Thank you, ma'am. That'll probably be helpful." He went to arrest the other guy, finding him muttering about needing to pay helpers more. That was great. Just great.

***

Beth walked into the director's office, shrugging at him. "I did not ask the guard to help, Director."

"What happened?"

"Someone tried very hard to finger me at a public event. I walked away. The next time I stepped on his foot. I walked off to find someone I could be safer around, finding Antonio Dala's ex-wife to chat with. He came up behind me again, and we shifted out of his way. He tried again so I kindly elbowed him in the throat for it." The director sighed. "He tried to get a guard to eject me," she sighed. "But after hearing why the guard made him go away instead. Then the man accosted me at my car, slung some insults after I took him down again, and Miss Hilda found out he was on probation for raping three college aged young women."

"Oh, dear."

"For some reason an officer tried to do the same thing and I decked him too."

"According to the social media films, the guy paid him to up his case that you were overreacting." The director stared at her. "Maybe you should just go hide for a few days?"

"Gladly. I'll even order groceries instead for a few days. It means I don't need to wear a skirt anytime soon." She smiled. "Have a better night, sir, and tell your wife I said hi." She walked off.

Director Bell forwarded the video to Major Bill, letting him know his adopted daughter was having a few issues. Maybe they could figure it out easier than Bell could.

***

Beth got woken up just before her alarm went off at six, opening the door to blink at her adopted father. "Are you actually mad?" she asked since he was scowling.

"He paid that officer ten grand that he had in his pocket to make his case that you attacked him unfairly stronger."

"Hmm." She walked off. "I need coffee. Am I going to be charged for either fighting back?"

"No. He wasn't supposed to be there, he had been banned from leaving his house outside of necessary work issues." He followed her, getting his own cup of coffee. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine. I did okay. I didn't get hurt when I defended myself." She smiled slightly. "He had a glass jaw."

"Don't get overconfident."

"I'm not. I'm just happy he didn't hurt anyone who couldn't defend themselves."

"He thought you were *cute* and wouldn't be able to do more than scream and cry," Bill said.

"Men like that seem to like the crying but it's not something I ever really learned to do, even when scared. I hope he doesn't ever get another victim."

"Me as well." He kissed her on the forehead. "Are you slacking today?"

"No, you know I get up at six. That means I get six whole hours of sleep after class work and regular work."

"I'll be happier when you finally get your degree, Beth. You're putting your health in danger by not treating yourself right."

"I'll have a week off of classes between the summer and fall semesters."

"Which you'll squeeze extra practice time in," he said dryly, staring at her.

"I'll have to slow down in a few years. I'm making the most of the excess young woman energy I have right now."

"Uh-huh. Last winter you got a horrible case of the flu and worked from bed instead of resting. That's why it lasted for almost two weeks."

"It did not."

"It did."

"I wasn't allowed to go near the athletes until my fever and all that was completely gone. I went on part-time hours during it. I even had two days of doing nothing but sleeping."

"Because you needed it." He stared at her. "Take better care of yourself, Beth."

"Hey, let them not need the degree for a senior handler position or for me to keep my present one," she said.

"Point. Then again, being a senior handler would mean no more competing probably."

She shook her head. "It's not in the bylaws. I'm going to compete as long as I can."

"I know. I'd still be a professional skier if it hadn't been for the reconstruction of my knee." She hugged him. He pushed her back some. "So, should I be a nosy father?" She blushed, shaking her head quickly. "Should I ask if we should need to find you someone still?" She shook her head even more quickly, sipping her coffee. "Good. I knew you'd handle it well enough. Megan's mother threw a fit when she settled in to talk to her about things. She called Gwenny to explain it better. Her mother had an 'oh my God' fit but otherwise she seems okay. Apparently they had a long talk about why and it's all right again but we're watching out for her now."

She handed over her mail. He opened the one from the embassy, staring at the letter. "It's nice they apologized." She nodded. "I'll have this put on file with the director in case they try again." He kissed her on the cheek. "Go to the gym after your shower. I'm going to test your weight lifting." She nodded, going to take a shower while he went upstairs to run a copy of that and put it in the director's inbox with a sticky note on top. Then he went to the gym to help her lift.

***

Antonio leaned on the railing around the training piste, staring at the two on the mat. "Hilda said you were very nice, polite, and personable last night and she appreciated how you handled the slug."

"The slug on probation, for three other actual rapes," Beth said as she moved against her opponent.

"Seriously?" Cecily demanded. Beth nodded. "Why wasn't he in jail?"

"His daddy has money," Antonio said dryly, smirking at her. "Back foot." She looked and grimaced, moving them forward since she was on the edge of the piste. Beth scored but Cecily scored a second later then Beth nearly fell over her. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I'm good. My boots have a worn spot." She shrugged and got up, shrugging at her partner. "Sorry."

"It happens to the best of us. I really would love to be able to wear sneakers on the piste during comps." They got back to that last point and it went better. Cecily still won, which made her cheer and bounce around a bit. She grinned, shaking Beth's hand. "Thanks."

"Welcome."

"Are you sick?" she demanded with a smile.

"Bill thinks I'm making myself exhausted."

"Ya think? You do more than the rest of us except for Bill." She strolled off. "See you next week, Beth."

"Sure. Thanks, and great match, Cecily." She took off her helmet, looking at Antonio. "Hilda seemed really nice last night too."

"She'll say she had a mushy moment."

"She's the one that found out the guy was on probation and told the officers."

"She said that." He smirked. "You good? Need new boots?"

"Yes but I hate ordering them." She walked over to her fencing case, wiping down and putting away her sabre. She locked it and picked it up. "I need to shower."

"You need to eat. Hurry up and I'll even treat." She nodded, going to the changing area to do that. When she came out pulling back her hair he looked her over. "You've lost weight."

"I'm taking extra classes this summer to get a few mandatories out of the way. I did algebra last night instead of dinner." She shrugged. "It happens at times." They walked off together. "Did she tell you about the San Francisco triathalon?"

"I've heard there is one but not when." They went down to get something to eat, him adding meat to her salad with a look at her waist. "Okay, lay it on me."

"I've pulled up a list of ones near the two areas you tend to be. There's quite a few in California. The one in San Francisco is in May? It's stated to be for Crohn's research?"

"May might be too soon."

"Okay, that's reasonable. Maybe next year? It's one of the earlier events on the year."

"That's sounding like a good first one." She showed him. "California and New York, thank you." He looked them over. "There's a lot in September."

"There were multiple pages of listings on the sanctioned triathlete organization site for just the 13th of September. Not sure if that's a national triathalon day or something." He nodded. "Iron Man, the one in Hawaii, is October." She pointed at it. "This one's in Berkeley, this one's in Oakland."

"A few around LA."

"There's one by Folsom prison," she said with a smile. "I pulled out one by Lake Tahoe as well."

He looked those over, nodding. "That's not a bad group. I do live near LA. There's one in Malibu?" She nodded with a smile, eating a bite. "Thank you for not making me nag," he said without looking up. He dug in, looking over the various races. "So I know where I have to be by when. Hold on, there's a sanctioned...."

"It's an olympic event," she said with a grin.

"Oh, wow."

"Since the 2000 games. It debuted in Sydney."

"Huh. Well...."

"Rio is 2016," she said. "The next summer one hasn't been picked but I heard the other day that China's hosting the next winter games." She ate another bite.

"Am I good enough to do those?"

"Those are sanctioned USA Triathalon events. So qualifying."

He considered it, looking them over. "I'd have to qualify next year for Rio," he said. She nodded. "Can I qualify for either?"

"I think that's mostly up to you. Have you watched the tapes of the current diving guys at the Pan Ams or Pan Asian games?"

"No, not yet," he admitted. "A whole bunch of college kids."

"Not all of them are college kids. Some are in their early thirties. And if not, you may not be able to beat a Kenyan at marathons but what about a triathalon event? Have you tried to do that amount of working out all at once?"

He shook his head. "No, I've been building up to it." He tapped the table a few times before eating some of his sub sandwich, thinking about it. She took back her tablet to look up video from the last set of games, the Pan Americans. She let him see it while they ate. He watched the whole dive event, nodding some. "I need to work on my flexibility."

"You can't really qualify for two different areas that way as far as I know. So try to do a full event here in the center. Swim the swimming portion, do the bike for the bike and then do a treadmill for the other, see your times."

He nodded. "I can do that next week. Will they work with me?"

"Of course," she snorted. She flapped a hand. "Tell Toby what you have planned and when. One of their many jobs is timing runs."

"Thanks, Beth."

"Welcome. Do your best, looking up last year's winning times, and judge it that way, then do the dives against the last few games."

"Yeah, I can do that. Thanks." He kissed her on the top of the head, then walked off to go to the gym to talk to Toby.

Beth finished her lunch, going back to her office to get back to work. She looked up the qualifying events for Richard, Al, Celia, and the few others who might need them. Plus her own. She had a year to move up if she was going. If she was going.

***

Beth walked into the meeting she had called the next day. "Fastest way to get all you guys together for ten minutes," she said at their scowls. She handed out packets. "Qualification packets, qualifying events, olympics in two years," she told them, getting grins back. "Al, you're two spots off the national team right now." He smirked. "Richard, you're about three or four down. These are the qualifying ones that take preplanning and registration, or now take winning at other events. Two of your old ones are now pre-qualifying wins only." They nodded. She handed one to Cecily. "Ours." She smiled. "Our qualifying is six months before Rio. There's two events that're highly expected before nationals. One of the ones from last year got relocated."

"Okay." She looked them over.

Celia grimaced. "I'm not eligible."

"We still have next year's games. You haven't went to a national team qualifying match in the last year and a half. Do you want to?"

"That I do not know," she admitted.

"Okay, well, figure that out." She smiled. "I'm here to do your paperwork for you."

"That's good because I hate doing it," Richard joked. "How many are in my field in the US?"

"Sixteen. You've only done one qualifying event this year and none last year. You did smaller but not the bigger ones. They counted you down for that." She handed Linda hers. "Next year's is going to be by invitation only." Linda, the captain of her soccer team, grimaced but nodded. "Your girls being there this year means you're almost expected to get one as long as they're not considered problem players." She smiled. "Also, their star players in three spots, including goalie, are retiring this year." Linda beamed. "So something to think on, it may add a few games to show off at."

"It could," she agreed. She looked at the quiet guy at the table. "Your going to try for Rio?"

"I don't know yet," Antonio admitted. "I need to test myself first." She handed over the forms for him, getting a smirk back. "Thank you."

"The first set paperclipped together are the qualifying and pre-qualifying diving matches before the national event. Though you sponsor one so I'm not sure about the etiquette about that. The other set is what I got when I called the USAT to get their forms and what you have to get to qualify for the national triathalon team." He nodded, looking them over. "I also talked to Toby. He said it's free Wednesday, all the swimmers have a meet that day. You can have the pool to yourself if you want and we can move the treadmill and bike to a quiet room for you." He nodded, looking up at her. She smiled. "If you want, let him know before Tuesday."

"I can do that. Thanks."

"This is what I do. Beyond nagging you about gym time and stuff, this is actually part of my job. A few different handlers are calling these meetings in the next few days." She smiled. "Gwenny would but she's recruiting."

"She's real good at it too," Al agreed. "My friend's ex is very happy training for gymnastics here." Beth smiled. "She said the kids at her gym were distracted by her and the coach got mad."

"It happens to the best of us. The kids need people to look up to," Celia said. "When are yours?"

"I have seven events next year if I want to qualify." She smiled. "With my spot this year I can skip two but I shouldn't."

Cecily nodded. "I have eight. I've already agreed to go to another one." She looked at Beth, who smiled. "The other guy who fences?"

"Same events. Plus one if he wants."

"Ewww. Where is he?"

"Sixth or seventh."

"So about my spot," Cecily said dryly. "Are they really retiring?"

"So far as we know they are. Bilanda retired during the investigation to her faux pas pictures." Cecily shuddered. "She posted them."

"She did," she agreed. "It's a pity though. The other one?"

"No clue. She said she was going to. I haven't heard any news."

"Damn. I was hoping so I could move up."

"At least you guys have time," Al said. "You guys have a year and a half."

"Yes we do," Cecily agreed, grimacing. "It's not enough."

"You're fifth in the country, Cecily. It's more than enough. If you had to go out tomorrow to win a medal, you'd at least get bronze. As long as we weren't against each other," she quipped with a grin at the end.

"Point." She smiled back. "Good point." She looked at the others. "I think I've got some paperwork for others to do." She got up to go find her actual handler. Beth stepped in a lot but she was assigned to someone else since they were training partners.

Beth sat down. "So... Al and Richard, you guys have six months before you have an event. A few weeks later on Richard's." They nodded. "Let me know? The sooner it's in the better."

"Good point," Al agreed, leaning back in his chair. He looked at Richard, who was nodding but staring at the list. "Is that the comprehensive list?"

"I left off anything tiny, anything without qualifying status, and where you won't have to compete against the guy who jokes that your butt is so tight you're only upright because of it. I included the smaller qualifying one because I didn't figure he'd be there. It doesn't work for his ego problems."

"He quit after I turned around to look at him and asked him if he was remarking on my ass so much because he wanted to screw me. He and his wife choked and she quit eye-screwing me." He grinned. She smirked back. "I'm not sure he didn't quit the field."

"If it's who I'm thinking it is, he's in my field now. His wife tried to stab him in the arm," Richard said. "For interrupting her attempt to seduce another shooter to get him disqualified for improper conduct. His arm's now unworking."

"Oh, great. Just what I would've needed. My own ex-wife would've been thrilled." He shook his head with a sigh. He looked at Beth, grinning at her. "Did you eat? You're getting skinny."

"I had breakfast. I'm having lunch after this."

"Uh-huh. Want to watch a movie later?"

"Only if you want to write my paper on Shakespeare."

"No, I did plenty of those," Al complained. "How many more hours of homework do you have tonight?"

"I'll get to bed by midnight, like usual."

"You get up at six," Celia said. "That's not enough sleep."

"Bill said the same thing," Beth chirped with a grin. "I've never gotten more sleep than this though."

"Yeah, make me fuss like when you had the flu," Al warned. Beth smiled but rolled her eyes.

"You don't take a flu shot?" Antonio asked.

"I did," she said. "I got sick anyway."

"Ah. That does suck. Let me know if I have to order you soup. I try not to get near sick people." He got back to his forms. "This is a lot."

"Train for ten or twelve years then go to the senior olympics," Richard said. He smiled at him. "They need more former olympians."

"They do," Antonio said. "But I'm about fifteen years from qualifying." He grinned at Richard. "It's all the fun I used to have. It ages a guy. That's why Beth still looks like a teenager."

"I'm not against fun," she defended.

"Don't worry, a few more years of college and then you'll be done and able to have free time for fun," Richard quipped.

She grinned. "I have a week off between summer and fall semesters. I plan to sleep during it. Then I have another three classes this fall since one's my PE." She rolled her eyes. "The college won't accept anything like sports for it so I've got swimming for jocks."

Antonio gave her a funny look. "Seriously?" She nodded. "Why?"

"Because they don't even let their team players out of gym for credit. And hey, two afternoons a week I have an hour of pool time." She shrugged. "I can do that."

Linda shook her head, smiling at the young thing. "Some day you'll have to slow down."

"Yup, but it won't be this week or year probably. I've got too much to do. Including finding a one-piece swim suit since bikinis aren't allowed."

"Don't you swim here?" Al asked. "I've seen you in the pool."

"It's a two piece suit. It shows a tiny sliver of belly button. I'm not allowed to wear that in class."

The Director walked in. "I overheard. We have suit rules that strict?"

"The college is making me take a PE credit. I'll get it out of the way this fall with swimming for jocks. No two-piece suits allowed there."

"Why do you have to take a PE?"

"It's mandatory," she said, pulling that up on her phone. "See, it's a mandatory of the program."

He took it to look at. "The other program we work with wouldn't let it."

"They also wouldn't accept me because they decided I'm a lesbian and it's a Christian school," she said dryly. "The interview to get into the very restricted program ended on that charming note." She took her phone back. "I'm not the only one but they don't like women in sports. It doesn't make us look womanly to them."

Director Bell sighed. "Seriously?" She nodded. "Amber went there."

"Amber was married then and pregnant. They could prove she wasn't a lesbian. They asked me if I had ever dated a guy, and I said I had but my schedule got in the way of it. He grimaced, made a note, and at the end made sure I heard that they did not accept gay students. They didn't even bother to send me a turn down letter."

The director huffed. "Can't you get out of the PE?"

"I still have a science and a language credit I have to take. I'm doing them this fall too since I'll be on campus for the PE. It's an opportune time to go two afternoons a week to deal with things. It was that PE or another martial arts. They don't have mine. Or I could join the running team but that's not open at this moment thanks to their track team needing their PE."

The director stared at her. "Is your life ever easy?"

"You guys said I needed the degree to keep working here," she said with a shrug. "By the rules, all junior handlers who are out of high school must be taking college classes toward their degrees to mature to the senior handler job."

"Take a semester off."

"I don't want fired."

"I can clear it."

"The board won't allow it, Director. That's why we lost Amber. She had to take a semester off for the baby being sick. They fired her for not being in college. There were some other issues but that was the one they decided on using." She gave him a pointed look. "We all know they don't like the attention I've had to bring to the center due to all that mess that we've went through. I have to follow the rules. Even if that means I'm doing paperwork during class and papers on Shakespeare at night."

"Is there a distance learning program?"

"Not that I've found."

"Let me look into that. Finish your summer ones, put your fall ones on hold. We're about to lose Bill's last trainee and two others to an exchange with the Woodblind." He walked off.

"I am not working with that predator," Beth called after him. "I will stab her ass this time, Director." He leaned back in. "Yes, that one. The one who tried to trap me in a closet to grope her skanky self. I'm not into that and my athletes don't need the ho hours. They have a lot of that already from the bimbos that throw themselves at them."

"Amen, sister," Antonio quipped. "If you're talking about Sascha."

"No, I'm not talking about Sascha. She took no for an answer. I'm talking about Glenda. The little bitch that wants to think she's cute. She came in from the pole and she needs to go back to her pole." Al and Celia both coughed to try not to laugh. "I'm not the only one who said that. One of the easiest of trainers called her a pole riding ho. Said her attempt at the mechanical bull in the gym was pornographic and warned me not to look. Bill just covered my eyes."

"I'm hoping neither of them are coming," Al said.

Antonio nodded. "I thought about going to the Woodblind instead but I was worried I'd sit down in a puddle of STD I'd have to explain," he said. "Hilda suggested it until she went with me to tour that one. She's the one that was worried about the STD puddle." Al burst out laughing, nodding. "They have some good people but the rest....."

"Eww. That's like their shortened center name," Celia agreed. Beth and Richard both nodded. "Must we exchange people?"

"They're wanting to."

"We'll gladly accept their athletes," Beth said. "We'll take good care of them while they're in remodeling or whatever. I'm not going over there though. I don't need that much practice in self defense."

The director nodded. "They didn't ask for you."

"Thank you," she said, looking up and waving. "That's a great thing. Thanks." She looked at him again, weathering the eye roll. She stared at him. "You won't get Gwenny to go either. Her boyfriend works over there."

"Damn." He went to talk to the others. "They're getting all new equipment soon," he called back.

"If your treadmill has to do it all for you, it's not a workout," she called after him. She smiled at her athletes, who all shook their heads but smiled at her. "We'll see." They all nodded. She got back to the paperwork with them. They could all have a lot of fun with comps.

***

Beth walked into her 'dad's office, staring at him. "We're doing a staff exchange with the Woodblinds," she said when he didn't do more than grunt at her. His pencil snapped and now he looked up at her. She nodded. "The Director told me earlier."

"Hell. No."

She smiled. "That was my reaction as well as pointing out I didn't need more self defense work and Gwenny won't work with her boyfriend. Also, he's trying to get me to quit my fall classes."

"You need to take spring and summer off next year for events," he said. He leaned back. "Why are we doing that?"

"They're *upgrading*."

He snorted. "Great. More machines that can rip a human body apart because it's misset." She nodded, grinning again. "Damn it." He ran a hand over his face. "I'll talk to him. What's your fall schedule like?"

"Science, Spanish, Swimming for jocks."

He shook his head. "I forgot they made you take one." She nodded. "Science means getting on campus again so you can do them at the same time?" She smiled and nodded. "Good planning job. I'll talk to him."

"Talk to Toby?"

"Yes, I am. His ex-wife works at the other center they switch personnel with." He got up, kissing her on the head. "Eat dinner."

"Yes, sir. I'm going to while I do a paper on Shakespeare." She went up to do that. Her workday was done and she did need dinner.

Bill went to the gym, where the after-hours athletes were working out. "Toby?" He looked over. "The director noted earlier that we're going to be doing a short personnel switch with the Woodblinds. They're updating."

Toby stared at him then shook his head. "Not in my gym they're not. I don't want to have to bleach my machines." He called his ex. "Don't hang up. It's work news. Woodblinds is going to be upgrading soon so they're talking personnel switches. Yup, them. That's why I broke our stalemate of anger to call, Elizabeth. Have a better night." He hung up. "She swore at them instead of me. That's great."

"It is," Bill agreed. "Beth's already protested she doesn't need more self defense work." He strolled off. The gossip chain around the building would be working in their favor soon. The trainers all excelled in the field of gossip.

Toby looked at his people. "Spread it," he ordered. "Because we are not having the people from Eww coming here." They nodded, sending out text messages to their various athletes and friends. The other centers didn't want to work with the Woodblind's people either.

Bill went upstairs, knocking on Beth's door. She opened it, smiling as she chewed. "Good, you're eating. I don't have to nag. Al can do it for me," he said with a nod at him. He walked off smiling. His apartment was downstairs. Al had her well in hand. It was a great thing for a dad to have, a future son-in-law with sense. Especially one that would fuss over Beth for her tiring herself out or make her squeal like she was right now. Al was mean to tickle her.
Chapter 14 by CE Dalton
Chapter 14




Director Bell called Major Bill up to his office a few days later. There was a police officer there. "Bill, this officer said we're encouraging underage sexual relations."

Bill grimaced. "No. There's one instance that we have warned about that may be pertinent. Do you have that file, Director?"

"Of course." He turned to dig it out, handing it to the officer. "That pertains to one of our junior handlers here." The officer nodded, reading it over with a frown. He looked up at one point. "She's since cured it. That is what we warned the junior handlers about. It's a small movement but it's big enough that she got kidnaped twice."

"I saw those reports." He looked at Bill. "We talked to the junior athlete that had talked to her friend, whose mother is the one who called us."

"I understand the worry but we did only warn them about it so they could factor it into their lives if they felt comfortable and if they were being courted," Bill said. "With Beth they started with mailed letters of invitation. She got about two years of those before the first kidnaping attempt."

"So it is a worry if you're in certain fields," the officer said, handing that file back to the director. They nodded. "Is that one now safe?"

"They got all the way to trying to have her legally deported with forged marriage certificates," Bill said. "And attempts to kill the guard and lawyer with her during that, then an attempt to wound her to capture her later on when she was vulnerable."

"I heard about a shooting at the local courthouse." Bill nodded, crossing his arms over his chest. "Okay, I'm going to say that's probably a reasonable worry for that young lady. She is very good in her field from what her parents said."

"If we're talking about Hannah, I talked to her mother after her mother had a fit on her," Bill said.

"No, I'm not. Is she...."

"Fourteen, a gymnast, and probably going to move into the adult levels." The officer nodded. "Hmm, not Hannah so it has to Mylene?" He looked at the director.

"We have Sasha, she's sixteen and has had problems with her parents before," the Director said. "I almost asked you if you wanted to adopt her like you did Beth."

"I wouldn't mind. She's an exceptional athlete. I'm looking forward to cheering her on at the olympics. If she wants, I'll do it if her usual handler doesn't want to. She won't have half the stress Beth did since I went over-achieving with her."

"Not that young lady either. Do you have many underage athletes here?" the officer asked.

"No. We have three junior handlers below the age of eighteen. We have another four, maybe five, athletes that are under eighteen but they're mostly in that range before college comps so they need somewhere to train. Most of them have fairly attentive parents. We have actually lost an athlete due to us turning in an overbearing ass of a parent who was trying to make his daughter into a submissive robot to his will. She's now been taken in by her coach and they're on the other coast." The officer nodded. "We are highly protective of our people, including our staff, Officer. We'll gladly talk to that young woman and her parents if they need to ask anything about that."

"I'll let them know. It was more her friend's mother who was concerned. Though, if it was my daughter, I'd be worried and suggest a sudden cure then nothing until her wedding night."

Bill smiled. "Athletes don't have a lot of free time they don't spend training. Beth, the one I took in and the one in that file, was doing one competitive sport that she medaled in, the soccer team at her school, a martial arts for balance and temper work, and managed to have a few first dates. Girls who are gymnasts and ice skaters, they practice most of their time out of school."

"Which leads to the problem of them being too innocent so slime like that can get to them," the officer finished. "I can understand that. You hear things about athletes suddenly dropping out."

"Some do," Bill agreed. "We lost one last year due to a pregnancy. She may get in shape and come back. She's not sure yet. She had high aspirations but not much of a chance beyond college sports from what we saw of her performance. Then perhaps a handling or coaching job afterward."

The officer nodded. "Are there athletes that do get ...introduced that way?"

"There's been a few that have met at meets," Director Bell said, smiling at him. "It's not unheard of."

"Generally the more arranged ones are done by friends in the field. Though there is a ...rescue service for athletes who want to get out of ...less friendly countries. That was suggested for Beth's needs."

"I thought that was more during the cold war but I can see the appeal. All right, I'll go talk to that athlete and the parent that was so concerned. If they need to, can they come to you?"

"The athlete and her parents? Of course." Bill smiled. "Including to any of us she would want to talk to. It was our head of training that warned the young women about what Beth had just been through. I've talked to a few parents. So have the female handlers."

"Good. Thank you." He shook their hands and left to make a report then calm down the worried mother. She had been worried that they were going to push her into some sort of arranged athlete marriage.

Bill looked at the director. "Did you get the people from Woodblind straightened out?"

"They're going to their sister facility by LA, Bill," he sighed. "That was mean of us."

"As Antonio Dala said, we don't need to sit in a puddle of STD." He walked off. He was by the entry when the young athlete with the worried friend stopped him to apologize. He smiled. "It's good they're worried. Friends should worry. The officer saw the file on what happened to Beth and understood why." He patted her on the cheek. "Let us know if you need the same sort of help," he said quietly.

"I will. Right now I just need a date for prom. My ex turned into a whiny babyman."

"Ask Frankie on the men's soccer team's backup string. He's nineteen and mostly polite. He's a bit of a mother's boy so he should treat you well enough, like he does her."

"I might do that. Thanks." She impulsively hugged him then ran off to see if they were in today.

Bill smiled at the guards, who grinned back. "Happy athletes are great things." He went back to his rounds to check on the athletes. Some were goofing off but it wasn't the ones he'd be expecting. He paused to watch the divers working out, noticing Dala was staring at them. Then he got up to try one they had just showed off on. The young guys' coach nodded when Dala looked at him. Bill clapped his hands. "Rotation was still loose, Dala. Also, arm position."

The coach nodded. "He's right. Also, your legs crossed."

"I can work on that." He went to practice in the ropes room. Bill went with him to help. "Beth?" he asked as he strapped himself into the safety equipment.

"She's off today. She has her mandatory physical." He came over to tighten the chest and shoulder straps. "You'll get rub marks." He stepped back. "I'm also hoping, because I hinted, that she's buying some new clothes. She'd like to be glamorous like any normal young woman but with working here it's not always possible. I'd like her to look more her age."

"Some of that's the fit instead of the material. Hilda has an outfit for everything. I actually had to work harder to refill her closet every year." He climbed up onto the training board to try that dive again. "Still not right," he admitted, coming out of the foam pit.

"Your arms should be tighter together and your ankles need to lock to each other instead of cross due to momentum," Bill said. He came over to help by adding a velcro strap in the right spots. "There, try that." Antonio nodded, trying it again. "Better, but tighter rotations. I've seen them do up to three rotations on that board."

"How do they get three?" he demanded.

"Tighter rotations and a better jump up."

"Point." He got out to try it again. "Maybe triathalons are easier."

"Up to you. Many of our people are multiple sport people in reality."

"Good point." He tried it again, nodding when it got to two and a half. "Closer."

"Back arched."

"Okay." He tried it again. "Better but not perfect."

"Perfect is only on movies, Dala. You just have to appear to be perfect."

"Good point." He got up to try it again.

"Try the higher board. That's less used and a lot more room but the same dives." Dala nodded, going up to the highest board to try it again. Much easier. "Good. Now tighter rotations." Dala smirked at him but did it again.

***

Beth walked into a shop, smiling at the saleswoman. "I need work things."

"All right," she said, coming over to help her. "Just out of college?"

"No, I'm taking college classes but I also work as a handler for athletes. So sometimes I'm doing paperwork or making travel arrangements and sometimes I'm in the gym being a coach." She smiled. "I'd like to look more fashionable but I don't think I can sometimes."

"There's a way of being fashionable without being revealing. Skirts?"

"I do wear them sometimes. Knit pants a lot. I can't be flirty but I can be pretty. It's a hard line."

"It is for many young women." She looked her over. "You clearly work out."

"I'm a national level fencer." She smiled. "And I do some martial arts." They picked out a few skirts to try on and a few button up shirts in softer fabrics. She looked at herself. "I should do up a button." She did that and it looked more uptight. "Is that too low before?"

"Not if your workplace doesn't have a no cleavage rule," the saleswoman said.

"No, we're supposed to be tasteful, but I do have a few coworkers who have fits at the hint of a shadow."

"Try this top instead," she said, grabbing one in the right size. "Just for the style, not the color." Beth went back to try it on, coming out nodding. "Bit short. You have a nice figure. Most shirts are built for a 'b' cup and you're obviously a 'c' so that means they're going to be showy." She got a few other choices, letting her try it. Beth made an 'eww' noise. "That bad?"

"A pipe just broke in here." She came out wiping off the drips of water. "Right next to the light."

The saleswoman looked, then got the clothes out of there for her. "I think that's an artist's loft. I'll call the owner. That shirt's still too short thanks to your chest."

"But with jeans?"

"With jeans it'd be nice. What's your budget for today?"

"Three hundred? If possible? I have up to five though."

"We'll keep that for the adding on at the end." She put it aside for her. The rest of the clothes looked nice on her. It worked well. The young woman also had a coupon and a gift card for them. It made sure she could get the add on items. So that was nice. The young woman thanked her and left with her bags. It was a good sale.

***

Beth came down to the cafeteria in the new top and a pair of jeans, smiling at Bill when she sat next to him. "I used the gift card you got me for the holidays."

"You look nice in that. A bit flirty." He looked her over. "How many other things did you get?"

"Four pants, two skirts, and about six shirts. Plus a pretty headband."

"That's good." He ate a bite of dinner, smiling when she got her own food and came back. "Shoes?"

"I need new fencing boots. Those have to come first. Then I'll buy sneakers during the back to school sales."

"Good plan." They dug in, eating while looking at the others in there with them.

***

One of the new people knocked on Beth's door the next day. "Can we speak for a minute?"

"Sure." She smiled, putting down her pen and saving the forms she was working on. "What's wrong?"

She came in and closed the door. "I know you've been here longer than I have but there was something I noticed last night in the cafeteria. An ...interpersonal relationship. Is that allowed here?"

"I was having dinner with Bill."

"I know who he is."

"Yes, he's my adoptive father," she said.

"Oh! Sorry."

Beth smiled. "It's all right. It's not encouraged but most of the time we just turn the other way unless it's going to be a problem. We've had a few jealous spouses who have made up relationships where none exist. Al's ex was like that, then she tried to blame the rest of us for not sticking up for her being the wronged one."

"I've seen that happen. Which was why I was going to have a talk."

"I do have friends here. I hang out with a few of my athletes but I don't have relations with them. Even if I were to start something I'd hide it."

"That's usually a good thing. It can cause problems."

"We have more problems with the ones who hit on people who they know aren't receptive actually." She leaned back in her desk chair. "Al's ex tried a number of times. So have a few of the swimmers. One of the men's soccer team too. He was flirting with an underage trainer."

"It's good we have sensible rules around here. Sorry I thought you were one of those."

Beth flapped a hand with a shrug. "It's nice you brought it to me in private. A lot would've started that conversation in the gym."

"No, I have tact. Have a great day, Beth." She left, mortally embarrassed.

Beth got back to work. Bill would have a great laugh later. Beth jumped up at the scream, heading out to find out who it was. She dialed her phone. "It's DeSandra. Someone screamed on my office's floor. Where is it?" She listened, heading that way. "Got it." She kicked the guy standing over the scared young athlete. "Get off her!"

"I'm trying to help her!" he defended. He backed up, hands up. "I'm trying to help, Beth, not hurt her."

"Okay." She helped the young woman up. "What happened?" The girl was crying so she looked her over. She dialed again. "Infirmary to my hallway. Stab wound." She hung up and hugged her. "Shh. We're here. Tell me who did it." She shook her head. "You don't know?" She shook her head again. "It's all right. That's why we have a lot of cameras around here." The security team and the paramedics showed up. "Guys, she's got a stab on her side." They nodded, easing her onto the gurney to check her over. Beth looked at the guy she had kicked. "What did you see? Beyond me kicking you because I assumed."

"I would've kicked me too. I was bending over her. I saw some guy running. Had to be a guy with those shoulders. Turtle neck, dark navy. Jeans that looked brand new. Sneakers. Ball cap but I think he had dark brown hair."

"That narrows it down for us," the head security guard said. "Did you see him stab her?"

"No, I was in the bathroom and came out at the scream."

"I heard the scream and came out too," Beth said. She took the young woman's hand. "I'll go with you and make sure you make it somewhere safe tonight. Okay?" She nodded, squeezing her hand. They walked the gurney off with Beth helping. The security team could handle it. A few hours later, after the young one was stitched and calmed down with a mild sedative in the infirmary, Beth walked outside to call the family. "Hi, it's Beth DeSandra at the Reeds Center. I need to speak to Mrs. Anderson please. No, it's about her daughter." They got her from the other room.

"Mrs. Anderson? Yes, I am. I'm one of the handlers here. No, there was an incident. Your daughter was coming out of the bathroom and some male suspect stabbed her mildly in the side. She's okay. We've gotten her stitched up and protected. We gave her an all natural allergy pill to help her rest for a few minutes. We need you to come pick her up and look at the picture that the security team pulled off the cameras. No, someone had her pass. She couldn't find hers today and had to pick up a new one.

"Someone stole her old pass and we're presently redoing most everyone's pass because of it. Please. We know it's a young male. She was too hysterical to look at the picture from the cameras. I've been with her since I heard her scream, ma'am. Including in our infirmary. Actually, we have two trauma docs on staff," she said with a smile.

"They're really nice people with great skills. We've seen them save people who moved wrong a few times, and one guy who had his spleen pop because he hit something wrong when he twisted the wrong way. Thank you. Of course. I'm in the infirmary. The security team will bring you right up. Thank you, Mrs. Anderson." She hung up and went in there, smiling at the young woman. "Your mom's on her way. Are you calm enough to talk to the security team?"

She nodded. "I think I know who it was but he was behind me."

"Okay. That's fine. We know he had your pass. We checked, that's how he got into the building."

"That narrows it down, yeah." She tried to sit up but Beth pushed her back down. "I can sit up."

"Stay laying down for now. The allergy pill can make you a bit dizzy and sleepy. We have a few minutes." She called and the nighttime security head came up with the two picture captures. The girl stared, biting her lip. "You know him?"

She nodded. "That's my asshole brother." She looked up at them. "He's jealous. He's not getting anything from me being good at sports. It's not bringing in money, it's taking attention from him." She handed it back. "I thought it might've been the boyfriend I just broke up with." She sighed. "Are we going to have to turn this over to the PD?"

"That it happened, yes," the security guy said. "Pressing charges is up to you. Even if your mother tries to overrule you because you're sixteen, if you press it they'll arrest him."

"Thanks. I don't know."

"Her mom's on her way in," Beth said. "She said about forty minutes."

"All right." He went to wait on her coming in. It took about a half-hour. "Mrs. Anderson?" She nodded. "Can I see some ID please? Just in case. It's protocol for non-members." She huffed but pulled out her ID. "Thank you." He handed it back. "Do you want to talk in the infirmary or in my office?"

"We got a good picture of who it was?" she demanded.

"Yes, ma'am, and your daughter identified him." She nodded, making 'go on' motions. He held up one of the pictures. She froze, staring at it. "She identified him when she woke up from her nap," he said quietly, taking her to his office. "By law we have to report that it happened. That is the law and our center rules even before it was the law. You pressing charges is up to you and her." He stared at her. "We are making sure it cannot happen again. We've changed the pass system in the past because of jealous ex's. We'll be doing it again for this."

"I...." She licked her lips. "Her father's going to throw fits. He's against her doing sports."

"I remember pulling him out of here by his hair," he admitted. "Twice." She grimaced. "Right now, she's safe. She can stay in our infirmary all night if we need her to for her own safety. Because I understand there's a few urges there to handle the situation without the police becoming involved. I'd be beating my son too."

She nodded, grimacing again. "I don't know. I really don't."

"Okay. Would you like to call your spouse and talk to him for now then go see your daughter? That way you have a plan for tonight?"

"I..." She cleared her throat. "He'll throw bigger fits with her for being in sports."

"We can ask a few of the handlers if she can have their couch for the night. She's not the first to be blunt. The handler you talked to earlier, Beth, she was all but adopted by one of our senior handlers because her aunt was pushy about product endorsements."

"Please."

"All right. Let me call Major Bill. He's the one who adopted Beth and he's got a spare room open right now. We can talk to Gwenny tomorrow. She's actually got a social work degree as well so she can do any necessary paperwork for you for short term changing over." She nodded. "Okay. Let me lead you upstairs." He sent a text message in the elevator. Bill met them there. "Sorry to interrupt your dinner, Bill."

"Not a problem. Sometimes things happen to young women that need to be handled." He smiled at her. "Hi, Sophia. I'm Major Bill. I'm Beth's adoptive father. Her aunt wanted to be a manager."

"My brother apparently hated that I'm good," she said.

"You'll be perfectly safe in my apartment, Sophia. Beth used to like the room." Beth nodded. "Is she free to be released?" he asked the nurse.

"She is. I'm sure you know how to treat stitches."

"I do, yes." He smiled at the mother, holding out a hand. "Major Bill Gulip. Senior handler."

"I'm Sophia's mother. Her father's going to have a terrible temper." Sophia snorted but grabbed a tissue to blow her nose. Bill smiled at that move. "She'll be safe?"

"She'll be very safe. Beth's upstairs and up the hall from me if she needs to talk to a female. Gwenny will be back tomorrow. She doesn't live on-center the way I do. She's the head female handler."

"That's fine. I'll..." She looked at her daughter. "Don't press charges yet."

"Can you beat him?" Beth asked quietly.

"I can try," she said. "Her father's against all this sports stuff."

"Some parents are. It's a lot of work and they don't often see the payout." She shrugged. "My aunt was the same way, she only saw the payout." She smiled at the younger woman. "Bill's not an easy parent. He stuck me in an all girls school and expected honor roll with two sports. Plus a diet plan to help support my needs."

"Wow," the mother said. "Two sports?"

"And a martial arts for balance and temper work," Beth agreed, smiling at her. "Because I went to school with bitches." Bill coughed but nodded. "I'm a fencer and I was on the school's soccer team."

"Your father would have kittens," the mother said, looking at her daughter. Sophia nodded at her. "All right, I'll allow this for now. I'll talk to your father and I'm going to go beat your brother somehow."

"Thank you," Sophia said quietly. "Can you pack for me?"

"I can do that." She kissed her on the forehead. "Be safe, dear. I'll talk to you tomorrow evening." She looked at Bill.

"I'm former Army, ma'am. Nothing gets into my apartment. Her room barely has a window for ventilation. No one can come through it. I don't even mind boy band posters." Beth reached over to pinch him on the arm. He smiled. "I learned to put up with pop music with her."

"I can understand that. I'll talk to your father, dear." She left after patting her daughter on the arm. When she got home, her husband was already mad. "Our son is leaving this house. Right now." He glared at her. "He stabbed my daughter." Her husband stared at his son, who was trying to shrink away. "She's presently staying with a handler at the center. They have him on camera and they do have to report it to the police, though we are welcome to press charges. Including her." She walked past him. "They've offered to give her a room for now. I'll expect our son to be in a jail cell or a shelter within an hour." She slammed her daughter's room door. Her husband stared at his son, who slunk off to pack so he could try to escape. The mother ignored the screaming her son was doing when his father laid into him. It was good for her.

***

Beth walked up to the director's office as he got in the next morning, handing over the reports from last night. "Sophia is taking up my old room for the moment and they'll be talking with Gwenny today."

He took it to look over as he sat down, sighing. "Her brother?"

"Bill said he heard on the scanner that he got arrested in the ER. Apparently his father taught him more about being a real man first. Though her father is against all this sports stuff for girls."

"I know a few like that." He put it onto his desk. "Couldn't I have made it to my first cup of coffee?"

"No, sorry." She smiled. "A few others are worried and you'll have a full day reauthorizing passes. As per protocol they're going to have to change everyone's pass codes." He winced. "I told the guards to give you a half hour, this way you know why before then."

"That's a good idea. Is she all right?"

"Twenty-seven stitches in her side. Very little scarring if any."

"Even better. Her coach?"

"Got told by her last night. Bill said she called him on his phone. Hers was broken in the attack."

"Even better. She settled in?"

"Not sure yet."

"All right. We'll handle it. Plus all the work he made me." She nodded and left. He groaned, starting his coffee maker. Sure enough, the guard came up thirty-one minutes after he had sat down. He filled out the authorization paperwork and got into the files. It was a lot of going into each file, reauthorizing and changing pass codes. Beth had been right to warn him so he had time for two cups of coffee first.

Beth walked into the cafeteria right after she left the director's office, clapping her hands. "People." They all stared at her. "Over the course of today, everyone's passes are going to be changed. Including all your access codes." She looked around. "It's protocol and they're starting it in about a half hour. So that means guards may ask you to re-sign in. If you're staff, they'll get us as we run past them."

"Who got hurt?" one of the cafeteria workers demanded.

"A young athlete last night. He had stolen her pass." A few nodded. "Also, they're doing the security sweep for unworking or jammed cameras over the next four days. So that means they'll be in our offices and all that. If you know you have one, point it out. I'm told the grumbling from all the climbing ladders will be less." A few laughed. "That means the ones in the gyms and all that are getting done too. Sorry for the stress, but it had to be done anyway." They nodded, getting back to breakfast. She went to the training gym to make the same announcements. The trainers in there all groaned. They could handle it though.

She stopped next to Gwenny when she walked in, pulling her aside. "You need to talk to Bill," she said quietly. "Also expect a parental visit later in your other job."

"Why?"

"For the same reason we have all new passes and codes."

"Oh, dear."

"The director has the report and so does Bill. Sophia's with him."

"Okay, I can handle that."

"She's the same Sophia from last year with the dad," she hissed.

"Yeah, I figured it might come to that." She looked around then at her. "Her father?"

"Brother. Stabbed in the side."

"Fuck."

"Basically." She smiled. "She likes my old bed."

"Great. I'll go find Bill as soon as I get done." She went to sign in, going up to her office to drop her jacket, then tracked down Bill and his new chick. It was going to be a long day for her.
Chapter 15 by CE Dalton
Chapter 15



Beth ran into Al and Celia that night, smiling at them. "Hi, guys."

Al hugged her. "Security is rabid."

"Yup. They need to be." She shrugged but cuddled back, pulling Celia into a hug too. "You looked frowny."

"I had a bad practice." She hugged her anyway. "We are going to dinner."

"I have forms." She sighed. "You can come help me do forms for Al if you want."

"Do them tomorrow, Beth. It's time for dinner. You need to eat." He walked them off, taking them up to Beth's apartment for dinner. Al had ordered and Celia went down to pick it up from security but it was fine. They settled in to eat. Beth realized she had skipped lunch because she was inhaling dinner. Al settled in next to her, cuddling her. Celia got her other side. Someone knocked so Celia reached over to open the door. "Yeah?" Al asked with a smile.

"Oh, I didn't realize it was a team night."

"We're very good friends with her," Al said. "Celia and I were her first trainees. We hang out a lot." He grinned. "Problems?"

"There's a young one that's staying here now? Is she a trainer?"

"She's an athlete who got attacked by her brother last night," Beth said. "So she's doing what I did, staying with Bill."

"Oh, I didn't hear that gossip. Was that what happened with our passes?"

"It's a security protocol. Also, you did hear that security's going to be checking all the cameras over the next few days?"

"I hadn't but it makes sense. Is she okay?"

"Mostly. Still a bit shaky."

"That makes sense. That poor thing. Let me know if she needs another female mentor, Beth."

"Not a problem. We're a lot like a family around here."

"I can see why. Oh, well, have a great dinner. Beth could probably use it. She works much too hard." She left.

Celia closed and locked the door. "What was she worried about?" she asked quietly.

"She came to my office earlier to have a careful woman talk about me having dinner with Bill," Beth said quietly. "She thought I was advancing the easy way."

"Doesn't work like that for handlers," Al said. Beth nodded, digging in again. "Is she hitting on you?"

"I don't think so. She was worried I was going to disrupt Bill's career I think."

"I think she was hitting on you," Celia said.

"Could be," Al agreed. "She is cute." Beth elbowed him. "Not like you try for sensual or sexy, Beth. You try for cute."

"I tried to be more modern and hip, but it all looks cute on me. Even the new things are cute instead of hot. Apparently I can't do hot."

"You can, you just need to shop in different places," Celia said. "We should shop."

"Very limited budget," Beth warned. "I used the gift card I got for the holidays for the new outfits."

"What did you buy?" Al asked. Beth went to get the stuff she hadn't unpacked yet. "No, model it," he ordered with a grin. She blushed but went in to do that.

Celia looked. "You need better bras first of all. That's not the right fit for you. Too small in the cup and supportive in the wrong way."

"I usually wear a sports bra but I bought one specifically with titty goddess support as the saleswoman said." She grinned. "I hadn't had one of those before."

Al tipped his head to the side. "If that's that bra, it's still smooshing them down, not making them perky." She rolled her eyes, going to change into the other outfits. He nodded at most of them. "Baggy pants," he said.

"They need to be. I have to be able to handle things in them."

"Point but still baggy."

"They fit. I just have a flat butt." She went to change into jammies then came back out after hanging up everything. "I tried for fashionably sensual."

"Some of them were nice, but not something that would make men stare at you," Celia said.

"Which is a good idea for work things," Beth reminded her.

"True." She patted her on the knee. Beth hugged her. Celia hugged back and groped a bit to try it out. Beth wasn't horrified but a bit worried. "It will change nothing," she promised quietly, taking a real kiss. Beth hesitated but kissed back after a moment.

Al shifted to watch them make out next to him, helping by untucking Beth's shirt for Celia. When it started to get too hot for the couch, Al stood up, taking off his shirt before lifting Beth up and carrying her to the bedroom. "Coming, Celia?"

"Yes, I hope I am." She wandered in there pulling down her hair. Al was busy kissing Beth so she got the younger woman undressed, then herself. Al's pants were easily taken off while Celia climbed in to tease Beth's breasts. Beth moaned but that was all right. It was a good thing to hear. Al nicely turned on some music to cover up some of the quieter noises. He dropped his pants then climbed in behind Celia to lick her spine. She pushed back against him, giving him permission.

Al looked at Beth over Celia's shoulder, grinning at her. "We have a choice of how to do this. Should we pin her down and tease her?"

"We can do that?"

"We sure can. She struggles to get free but likes it a lot." Celia swatted back at him. He used the arm to flip her onto her back so he and Beth could tease her all they wanted. Beth was getting pretty good with her mouth. Celia certainly liked the licking and nibbling going on. Al's nibbling and sucking was amusing too. They could have a lot of fun with such nibbling and sucking.

***

Outside, the handler from earlier was staring at Bill. "You can't tell me that's not a problem."

He cleared his throat. "Beth's curing a large problem that got her kidnaped twice." He walked off. "Beyond that, she's a fully grown woman now. I'm glad she's found someone who can make her laugh. Besides," he said, looking back at her from the stairwell door. "None of us would care. Especially not after we had to pull her off a plane because the kidnapers had drugged her heavily." He went back to his apartment. Sophia was a great girl. She even cooked some. He'd have to teach her more while reminding her it wasn't her job.

***

Director Bell smiled at Al and Celia as they joined the conference in his office. It was apparently going to be one of those weeks. "Handler Marsha has laid a complaint about interpersonal relationships going on."

"There's nothing wrong with athletes having relationships, sir," Celia said.

"Yes, but Beth isn't just an athlete," he said.

"And yet we're not in a relationship," Al said, sprawling casually in a chair. "We're helping her figure out a few things so that family can't come back." He stared at the director. "Also, I had no idea that what consensual adults did was anyone's business. Especially since I asked Beth and she said Handler Marsha had a problem with her and Bill having dinner the night before last."

"Bill is her father," the Director told her. "He's a very good man. He's doing a lot of good with Sophia as well. That's why we let him adopt athletes that need it." He looked at them. "To be blunt, the board will not like this...casual exploration."

"To be honest, would the board like her being taken again?" Celia asked dryly. "They probably didn't like the attention that brought. That's why she's gotten a few nasty notes from the board's favorite people."

"I had not heard about that."

"You know very well Beth won't come running unless it's a huge problem, sir." Al grinned. "She didn't even tell Bill about that family until about six months after they started."

"I found one letter and asked. She kindly dumped the rest on me to save her temper," Bill said from the doorway. "We have a problem, Director?"

"Handler Marsha has leveled an inappropriate conduct charge against Beth."

"I believe Handler Marsha should probably find employment somewhere else as she's been intentionally trying to upset multiple people. Including Beth by trying this same ploy against her having dinner with me. She's also upset a few athletes, including Dala. She tried to flirt with him. He's already stated he'll hire Beth as his personal handler if he must. Also, she's not a full time handler as she's still in school. Those are the board's rules.

"She's in training here, though she does do a lot of work that no one else seems to do. Including Handler Marsha, who has almost no one to work for. I handle three teams and six individual athletes. Beth has four individual athletes and a team. Marsha only has two athletes who really don't need a handler anyway." He looked at her. Then at him. "I believe she's a plant of the board as they're trying to weaken us so we'll all stay when they merge with the Woodblinds."

"Bill, if we turn into them, start your own facility so we can transfer there," Al said. "Be damned if I want to deal with them. They're unsupportive, they're ignorant of their people's fields, and they're usually highly inappropriate with everything. Including gear handling. They don't even have lockers in the gun range the last I heard."

"That is bad," the Director sighed. "It does leave us with a problem."

"The real problem is that Al and I both thought she was trying to hit on Beth last night so this sparks of jealousy," Celia said. Al nodded he agreed. "We asked her about Marsha and Beth said that she had talked to her about her relationship with Bill. Also, I have never seen a handler with that much cleavage." Marsha gasped, closing her shirt. "Some have been appropriately flirty but if I can see your bra it's the wrong way." She looked at the director again. "Must we really have such people as pretend handlers?"

"No," he sighed. "We do need more handlers."

"We have other options than the bimbos who'd hit on Dala, sir," Al said. "She and the other two have been hanging around him a lot, taking his attention from training. Gwenny had to shove two of them out of the gym the other day so they'd quit annoying him. Then told Beth, who sent them a strong memo about not upsetting the athletes or else they wouldn't have a job. None of the handlers would without the athletes who trained here."

The director nodded. "That's true, we wouldn't." He looked at Marsha. "Why are you so concerned about where Beth is getting stress relief?"

"She's..."

"Nineteen," Bill said. "Over age, was a virgin until about a month ago. I think that you're trying to nose into areas you shouldn't be."

Antonio strolled in, smiling at everyone but Marsha. "Why is Beth locked in her apartment?"

"Because I locked her in there," Bill said. "In case this one has more friends to help her."

"Bimbo like the ones that tried to play games with her?"

"No, we think she's jealous that Beth's your handler," Al said, looking back at him. "She's tried to accuse Bethie of sleeping with us, with Bill, and a lot of others."

"Ah. Great. Gold diggers, I hate that they happen." He looked at the director. "If you fire Beth, Hilda's already vowed to hire her as my personal handler because she puts up with me."

"I've gotten an attempted theft offer from Hilda for her," the director agreed. "Has Handler Marsha approached you in any manner?"

"No, two of her buddies had to be thrown out of the gym for annoying us though." He looked at her. "I've seen her staring but I'm not looking for a wallet hunter. I've had a few of those since the divorce. They tire me out and that's bad for my training." He looked at Al and Celia. Then at Bill. "You made her wear that outfit yesterday?"

"She's always picked out her own clothes, Dala. I've never been able to pick out anything for her," Bill said dryly. "She was trying to be a bit more fashionable."

"She looks like an overworked secretary. I'll ask Hilda where she goes. She wears uptight business gear and things that are less than flirty."

"She'd appreciate that and I'll give her a gift card for her birthday," Bill said. "She just used the one I gave her for the holidays."

"We'd love to go with her," Al quipped, grinning at Bill. "She unfortunately has a shirt problem due to her sizing. She went somewhere fashionable instead of fitting."

Dala nodded. "I noticed. She could use a bit of help but she has the basics down. Even if she does wear ugly knit pants."

"They're practical," Celia said with a shrug.

Dala sent a text message. Hilda sent back a sigh then a list of stores for Beth's form. She had actual curves so the more fashionable stores wouldn't work; they wanted stick figures and models, not real women. Dala printed it in the outer office, bringing it back to hand to Bill. Bill nodded his thanks, folding it to put into his pocket. Dala got a reminder text, wincing. "Oh, crap. I forgot that was coming up. Who goes to events?"

"Gwenny's booked for the ESPY's," Celia said with a smile. "So is Allison."

"Brent is too," Bill said.

"Beth's had to go," Al said. "But her gown's older, getting a bit worn out. She had to escort a few of her people to everything thanks to their wives not wanting to go but unwilling to let their husbands flirt without a watcher."

"I'll ask around then. Beth probably wouldn't want the press attention on her." He looked at Al and Celia, grinning slightly. "Celia, should I tell your coach you're up here?"

"Please if you run into him. Thank you."

"Not a problem. I'm heading for the pool. I'm doing the testing Beth suggested today. Don't bother me please." He went down there. Toby was waiting on him. "They're having a conference." He walked over to lean into the ice rink. "Celia's in the office. That new handler Marsha was making accusations," he said quietly, staring at Celia's coach. The man muttered something and nodded. "It'll probably be done soon. Bill locked Beth in her apartment to keep her out of the firing line." He went back to the pool, going in to change. "Sorry."

"We've heard," Toby said dryly. "Marsha's not really well liked."

"Thanks for kicking the others out again. They were annoying." He came out stretching and got into the pool. "Okay." He put on his goggles and got ready, going at the horn Toby set off. He swam his laps, going the full triathalon distance. Toby set off the horn when he was done. Antonio climbed out working his sore arms but got changed for the bike portion on a stationary bike. Toby nicely turned on a fan so he'd get the usual wind feeling to help him finish drying off. The bike shut off when he was done.

Antonio gulped some water as he changed into jogging gear, including a cup of gatorade he got handed by someone. He was down to his inner focusing. It only mattered that he finished the race. He jogged on the treadmill, letting it set the inclines and declines of a normal course. When he needed it, he called out 'water' and Toby gave him some.

By the end he was a sweaty wreck, barely able to stand. Toby set off the horn just before the treadmill stopped on its own. Antonio came off panting, bending over gripping his sore thighs. "I'm stupid for wanting to do that."

"You're not stupid and you had pretty decent times." Toby helped him into the bathroom, settling him on a shower bench and turning it on. He made notes for him and left them in the poor guy's locker. Antonio didn't need help showering off all the sweat. He heard the groan and smiled. "He made it in a decent time but not world shattering," he told the marathoners that trained there. They high-fived and went to talk to him. They knew that exhaustion after races. They could even help him eat something light so he could recover faster.

Beth brought in a bowl and a plate balancing on the bowl, plus a large bottle of water. Antonio looked up from his calming down talk, taking the water first. "Broth, with a bit of saltiness, and fruit slices." He took them, gulping the broth too. "Slow down or you'll get sick. You know better." He nodded, handing her back the bowl. She smiled, pulling another bottle of water out of the fridge in the changing area, handing it over.

"Thanks, Beth. Are you good?"

"I'm fine. It took me a while to unjury rig my door thanks to Bill but I managed it." She smiled. "Good job."

"How did I do?"

"Toby said not record setting but good," one of the marathoners said.

"He put it into your locker," she said with a head nod. He got up and stumbled that way, pulling out the scores. She pulled up the times for the last triathalon in the area. "This is the last one near here."

He compared the scores. "Ten minutes off on running. Five on biking. Swimming I would've made first." He sat down, sucking on the fruit. "I have some work to do."

"That's why they call it practice," she quipped, letting him recover.

He looked at them. "How far off the medal line are you guys?"

"About thirty in front of me," one admitted.

The other nodded. "I'm fifty-second."

"Okay, so we all gotta run a lot more faster," Antonio said, smiling at them. "I need to make my changes faster too probably. Why don't you guys try triathalon?"

"We get plenty from twenty-six miles of running." They shared a smirk then at him. "We all think the ones who do triathalons are a bit nuts."

"The divorce did it to me," Antonio said, cracking them up. They went with him to eat and go over strategies for making the run faster.

***

Beth woke up with a groan, holding her head. "Oh, fuck, not this again," she muttered, searching herself. Her panic button was still on her. She pushed it and waited. More than five minutes and she wasn't in the center any longer. She heard someone at the door and made herself stand up. The man who walked in wasn't one she knew. "Who are you and why am I here?"

"Miss, calm down. We have no idea who dropped you here so we put you in a safe spot until we could figure that out ourselves. You're suddenly sending a signal?"

"It's my emergency beacon. I've been kidnaped a few times and I'm a bit paranoid."

"Personal security guards?"

"Where I work. Who are you?"

"Miles Amberlin, State Department. You?"

"Beth DeSandra of the Reed Center. There's two files with my name on it in your agency's files."

"That's good to know." He looked her up. She leaned over to correct his spelling. "Better. Thank you. Oooooh." He blinked, looking up at her. "That makes more sense about why you're still tense." He smiled. "We're at the office in New York City."

"The Reed Center is upstate by about an hour."

"Okay. How did you get here?"

"The last I knew I was in my office."

"Oh, dear. All right. Let's call your bosses. All right?"

"I need to call my adoptive father. He's former military." He nodded. She took his phone, dialing the number. "Bill, it's me. I'm in New York City apparently at the State Department's safe room. I just woke up. The last I knew I was at my desk. What the hell!" she yelled. She blinked. "No I won't be calm!" She took the deep breath he ordered. "There, better? Who?" she growled. "I'm going to destroy her and her friends. Here, have the State Department guy." She handed over the phone so she could go kick the wall instead. The anger wasn't making her headache any better so she had to dump it before she did something stupid.

"She's very feisty, sir. Agent Miles Amberlin. New York City branch. No, she was found passed out on our doorstep. No note or anything but clearly not homeless and the paramedics on site said she wasn't drunk or drugged as far as they could tell. No purse or anything either."

"I don't tend to carry one unless I'm leaving the center. It's in my apartment." She looked at herself then at him. "Does he have any idea how I got here?"

"No, miss." He listened. "That would be great, thank you. That's fine. We can get her some coffee and let her rest in here. I'll have our paramedics go over her. Good plan. Just bring her ID and yours please, sir." He hung up and tucked his phone back into his jacket pocket. "He'll be here as soon as he can. He'll bring your ID and his, and he's stopping the security guards. Though I would've set it off as well."

"No off button, sorry."

"That's fine. It's reasonable. Just relax. I'll send in a paramedic to check you over and draw blood. All right?" She nodded, sitting down again. "I'll have them bring you coffee?"

"Water would be great," she said more quietly.

"That's fine then." He left, leaving a guard there. He let the paramedic handle it for now while they watched on the cameras.

"Miss DeSandra, I'm Peter Millers," the paramedic said, bringing in a bag and the water. "Let's see what happened."

"The last I knew, I was in my office." She took the water to sip, sighing. "How long was I out?"

"No clue. We found you about an hour ago."

"Great." She leaned her head against the wall then sat up. "Bad vibration on that one."

"Do you think you may have a concussion?"

"I don't feel dizzy or have double vision but I've only had the one concussion in my life. I was ten."

"We can do the check then. May I draw some blood?" She nodded, holding out her arm. "Thank you for being so cooperative. We'd like to figure out who to charge with kidnaping you."

"Can I have them first?"

"If you get there first I don't think anyone's going to mind as long as they're able to be arrested." He smiled. "Let's do the light test." She nodded, letting him do all the checks he wanted. "I'm going to ask a bad question. Do you think I should get a female nurse in here to do a check?"

She grimaced, shaking her head. "I started my cycle about three this afternoon if it's the same day."

"That doesn't preclude it."

"I don't feel any more sore than I usually do," she admitted. "I did have intercourse last night."

"That's fine. Then I won't suggest we do a test unless we find positive proof of it." He patted her on the knee as he stood up. "Just relax, finish the water. You look all right. Someone should be here soon by what they said." He left, taking his bag with him. The blood got sent to the lab. He noticed when the guy there for her got there, the temperature seemed to drop. He looked around. "I thought it was just my mother that did that."

"It's something they teach drill instructors in the Army," Bill said. "I'm here to pick up Miss DeSandra. This is my ID, her ID and Center ID." He let the agents see them. "Was she harmed?"

"Bloodwork's still pending," the paramedic said. "No obvious concussion signs. Got a bit of a temper but I think that's normal. She doesn't think they hurt her in any other way. Asked to have them first."

"Not if I get there before she does, then I'll hold them for her. May I?" They took him to the room, letting her rush over to hug him. "Shh, I'm here." He looked at the agents. "Is she in trouble?"

"No, sir. The first thing she did was set off her emergency beacon."

"Good." He looked down at her. "You okay?" She shook her head. "We'll figure it out." He gave her a hug. "Is she done?"

"Yes, sir, unless someone up there knows how she got on our doorstep."

"The security team is going over all the tapes. Our director has promised cooperation and a few of us are livid due to what's happened before."

"She told me about those files and I looked. I'm glad they've been stopped." The agent handed him her jacket and shoes. "That's all she had on her. We had found the emergency beacon and let her keep it to see what she'd do with it after removing the battery." He handed it to her.

She pulled back to look at them then at Bill. "Was I taken from my office?" He nodded. "One of the other handlers?"

"No clue yet. They tried to jam most of the system but there were some still working." He looked at her. "Are you all right?"

"I could use a bathroom break and a quarter."

"A quarter?" Bill asked, looking confused.

"Machine, womanly things machine," she hissed. He handed her a quarter and an agent took her to the bathroom. She came out looking calmer, having wiped her face down as well. She sighed as she took her shoes back. "Thank you, guys. You were very nice to me. I hope we don't have to meet this way again." They smiled. "Can I go?" They nodded, escorting them out to the car. She walked off a few feet into the alley to let out a string of swearing that made Bill wince. Then she came back and got into the car. She sighed in displeasure. "Fuck this shit."

"I'm hoping I get to tell that to someone in person." He started the car, driving her off. "Are you really all right?"

"I'm being girlish, my head doesn't hurt much but it's not exactly nice in there, and I'm really, really mad." She looked at him. "I need a punching bag and some chocolate ice cream. How did we know I was missing?"

"The security team got worried when half the cameras blanked out but Cecily said you were missing because you should've been at practice and weren't waiting on her." She nodded. "You were thought to be in your office by security."

"That's where I remember I was last." She leaned her head on her fist on the window, looking out it. "I'm going to have ice cream for dinner."

"Yes you can. It's good in this sort of situation. Before I make you move back in." She smiled but didn't turn her head. "Sleep. It's about an hour in this traffic." She nodded, leaning the back some so she could rest. When they were stopped by traffic, he sent a text message that they were on their way back. That way people would quit worrying. Or seething in a few cases. Al was seething and Celia was sharpening a knife the last he knew. She was a bit scary when she wanted to be. He parked at the Center and woke Beth up, making her flinch. "Hey. Just me. We're home." She nodded, getting out. She was immediately grabbed by someone and fought against them until Bill could come help her. "Let her go!" The reporter stepped back. "What did you think you were doing?"

"She's dating ...."

"No I'm not. I'm a *handler*. I deal with paperwork for athletes. I'm not dating anyone." The reporter winced. "Now, I was kidnaped just a few hours ago. I'm in a *great* mood and if I was armed you'd be dead. Do you really think that's a good idea?" He ran off.

"I'll find out who he is and make a complaint to his editor or supervisor," Bill said, taking her inside. The guard handed her a new pass, getting a nod of thanks. They reset her code there for her. "Any idea on the reporter?"

"The leach is from one of the gossip rags but I don't know who."

"See if Dala does."

The guard printed out a picture. "He's waiting with the ice skater and sharpshooter in her apartment, Major."

"Thanks. They're great friends." She went up with Bill, still exhausted. Al opened the door when the elevator dinged, grabbing her to hug. "I missed you too. I deserve ice cream for dinner."

"Yes you do." He brought her in, sitting on the couch with her in his lap. Celia rubbed over her arm to calm her down. "She good?" he asked Bill.

"They didn't say the blood they drew was bad." He held up the photo to Dala. "Grabbed her as she got out of the car. Who do I have to complain to?"

He took a picture of it and sent it to a number in his phone. He got back a question so he told her why. "The PR person at the company. Hilda's too big for that threat." He got back an answer, holding it up so Bill could see.

"Let me know so I can beat him," Beth said. "Is there any ice cream?"

"I'll have some sent over from the grocery store," Antonio said. "It's definitely a good day for a girlish cure." She nodded. "Chocolate chip cookie dough? Or just chocolate?"

"Chocolate Therapy by Ben and Jerry's?"

"I can order that." He sent that order, getting it delivered quickly for a nice tip. The guards brought it up with the grocery guy. Antonio paid and took the bag with a nod. She got her ice cream, Celia got hers, Al got one. Bill took his and Antonio took his. "How's the girl?"

"Frustrated with her father insisting that it's because she's into sports. Somehow her being good at it was what warped her brother." He shook his head, getting them spoons to hand out. "I pointed out plenty of women were good at sports and it didn't do anything to their men. Must've been a weakness in that one." He gave him a look then a smirk. "He was horrified that I pointed out the faulty gene's originating point." Beth giggled. "Exactly." He settled in to eat his ice cream. Beth was slowly nibbling hers while they were cuddling her. She had to get up to go to the bathroom once but came back and got cuddled again.

Beth finally looked up. "Was it the slut that got me locked in here earlier?"

"One of the ones that got kicked out of the gym," Antonio complained. "Sorry."

"The reporter thought she was dating someone but she didn't let him say who," Bill said.

"I'll straighten that out. Just in case." He looked at her. "Sorry?"

"Not your fault they have marshmallows for brains."

He grinned. "True. I'm pretty but not pretty enough to make them that brainless. That has to come naturally." She laughed but nodded, digging in again, resting against Al's shoulder. He put his ice cream into the freezer. "I'll get that tomorrow for lunch when I come up to make sure you're eating, young lady." He patted her on the head. "Let me go talk to someone about stupid things." He winked and strolled off.

Bill smiled. "Let me go check on Sophia. I'll check on you again at breakfast." He gave her a look, getting a smile back. "Guys, are you staying?"

"Since it's not really a secret thanks to the gold diggers, yup," Al said.

"Of course I am," Celia agreed. "She needs the comfort."

"Good." He kissed Beth on the forehead after standing up. "Be good, don't break them." He went back to his apartment. Sophia had been crying so he hugged her and let her have the ice cream. It helped most girls having emotional issues.

Al looked at Beth. "We'll go cuddle."

"Couldn't do much else anyway," she mumbled. "Not with *that* going on."

"Girlish times happen," Al quipped, taking her into the bedroom. The ice creams went into the freezer and they settled in to cuddle Beth until she could sleep without nightmares. It was comforting to all of them.

Outside, Antonio Dala looked at the two reporters still there. "So, which one of you nearly became a greasy spot?" he demanded, staring at them.

"He ran back to the office," one of them said with a wince. "What happened? There were agents!"

"One of the handlers got kidnaped. Again. Before it was people who wanted her as an athlete, this time apparently it was a hopeful gold digger who thought she was in their way, that's why she was dropped off on a federal agency in New York City." He put his hands in his pockets. "Thankfully she's all right." The reporters backed up a step. "Needless to say, the rumors that I'm dating my handler are untrue. She's a great young woman but she's too young for me. She's also too busy for me. I need someone who can live my life, not making me bend to their schedule. Let's leave her alone. All right?" They nodded. "Especially since he grabbed her."

"Was that the same lady that nearly had to beat someone to death at the soccer event?" the other reporter asked. He grimaced but nodded. "She's pretty."

"She's nineteen, an athlete in her own right, and works here full time plus college." They groaned. "She doesn't have time to wonder about boys, much less date someone needy like I am. So let's leave her alone. Period." They nodded, making note of that. "If not, I'll have to ask Hilda to help the poor girl. We'd all hate to see that, right?" he asked with an evil smirk. They nodded and shuddered. Hilda wasn't nice to reporters that screwed up.

"Good. Let me go home so I can plan how to deal with that reporter that grabbed her. And if any of you caught the kidnaping on tape and didn't turn it in, this is your warning I'll hunt you down." He walked off, going to his car to go home. The reporters called those reports in. When Antonio Dala threatened you, you knew he'd carry through. He had somehow punished one reporter that had upset Hilda back when they had been dating. That guy still wasn't right in the head.
Chapter 16 by CE Dalton
Chapter 16




Beth walked up to Gwenny, their senior female handler, and sat down at her table with a sigh of complaint. The older woman smiled at her. Oh, to be nineteen again and have drama that made no sense to amuse you. "Huge problems?"

"I think I don't know how to be a girl. Or at least a woman. I knew how to be a girl, way back when, but now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. It's not like there's fabulous clothes at my age."

"There are, you just have to go to different stores to find them."

"I went where Hilda suggested, because Antonio asked for me. I found a few nice work things but nothing that made me look more than like I'm a kid playing dress up. Nothing made me look more than cutesy."

"You're a bit petite but you don't look like a teenager anymore, Beth." She pulled out her phone to show her a picture. "Okay, in that outfit, you do look like a high schooler in her first business suit." Beth nodded, waving a hand so she looked at the others. "Who did you run them by?"

"Celia. She had a huffing text copy and paste day." She grimaced. "I wanted to be a bit more fashionable, like a hipper version of a young woman so maybe I'd get something more than 'what's fencing besides that stuff you put around the yard' from guys."

Gwenny smiled. "I can't say as I ever had that problem, but I played softball so that's a whole different thing." She handed the phone back. "Have you tried to look in the more hip stores?" Beth nodded. "Not in your price range?"

"Not in my boob range apparently. All the shirts rode up or were seriously showy."

"Beth, are you going with Dala to that event?" one of the other handlers called.

"He's never asked and I think he was looking for someone that they'd believe was actually on his arm," she called back. "I look like I'm going to the prom in any evening gown." Gwenny giggled but nodded, stuffing her mouth again. "I don't know how to do this, Gwenny. Help? Please? Even Bill's said stuff and Al is giving me funny looks. So is Richard's wife. I thought I looked okay today but I got the memo of doom about cleavage, even with it pinned together."

"I don't know why." Beth sat up straighter instead of leaning on the table. "Oh, that reason. Yeah, it's a bit not-exposed but showy definitely." She ate another bite. "Why did you get that one?"

"Button up shirts are supposed to be a wardrobe standard. It's the only one I found that would fit."

"It is a classic, professional piece of wardrobe," Gwenny agreed. "I can help you look. Have you done any online shopping?"

"Nothing ever fits. I have to buy my fencing jackets and chest protectors way too big and have them tailored down due to...." She waved a hand at her breasts. "They're a curse that still won't get me dates. I can look like a slut and not get any attention. I realized that the other day when my brown shirt's buttons kept coming undone and I didn't realize it was for about an hour until some girl hissed at me in the caf at the campus. Still, no one looked."

"There's ways of doing that without looking trashy. Did you fix that shirt?"

"Yup. Button hole is much smaller now." She grimaced. "Thankfully I had on a skin colored tank top under it in case I had to take it off, but still lots of cleavage and no guys looking. A few girls gave me interested looks and that was nice at least."

"Lesbians are more picky than guys are. I have no idea why they don't stare at you. You have a great shape."

"I don't know. Maybe I drove them off by pointing out football wasn't really more than a masculine fertility ritual of childbirth."

Gwenny choked, gulping her water to try to clear her bite of pasta salad. "Oh, god," she muttered while coughing. Beth reached over to pound her on the back. She waved a hand and one of the caf people came over to check on her. They helped her by taking Beth's patting place for her. Gwenny finally cleared her throat. "I don't want to know how you got that."

"Sociology class," she said dryly. "It's all about the ritualized experiences of everyday life according to that teacher."

"Yeah," Gwenny said with a nod. She coughed a few more times. "Okay, we can fix it so you're closer to a womanly girlish girl, Beth. Before you say that to some guy and he chokes."

"I had to explain it in tiny words when it confused a football player. The coach overheard me and walked off muttering about lesbians. Which I don't have a problem with. Really don't have a problem with," she said more quietly, glancing around.

"It's good you figured that out." She patted her on the hand. "I'll get some of my favorite sources together so we can figure out what you should go look at and where. There's Richard."

"Hey, Richard," Beth called. "And Amanda." She smiled at the couple. "This is Gwenny. She's our senior female handler. I'm interrupting her lunch to whine about not being girlish." She sighed. "It sucks."

"You'll figure it out, dear," Amanda, Richard's wife, said with a pat for her shoulder. "You're a lovely girl."

"Amanda, I had a button malfunction at the campus for over an hour and guys didn't even look," she complained.

"That's weird. College guys are all about the boobs and the beer," Richard said dryly. Beth nodded. "Are you actually looking for a date?"

"I... well..." She glanced around then at him. "It's nothing serious," she said quietly. "He said so. I'm trying really hard not to be clingy but you know about first relationships."

"Yeah, I remember being a clingy guy who always had to have a hand on her," Richard agreed. "I'm lucky I didn't lose that hand earlier with how often it was on her butt. Her daddy hadn't been real impressed with me." His wife kissed him and he smiled. "You're much smarter than the backseat slut I used to see, dear."

"Of course I am. Didn't she marry the second string tight end or something?"

"Yup, he knocked her up and her daddy insisted at actual gunpoint. Brought his sheriff buddies with him and the preacher. Boy was his daddy upset that his future was ruined." He grinned. "Everyone else learned from his mistakes and bought the better condoms."

"That is something I never want to have to think about happening," Beth said. "Never, ever, ever. No babies."

"Bill will be displeased he doesn't have a second generation to train," Richard teased with a grin.

"Not really. He's vowed to stand and laugh while I struggle with the kid. Of course, I was sixteen then."

Richard texted Bill. A few minutes later Bill strolled in. "Richard, do you need to take a long vacation from training?" he asked. Beth started to laugh. "Really, it sounds like she's driven you to think strange things."

"Richard suggested that you'd be heartbroken not to have a second generation to train," Amanda teased with a smile of her own.

"I deny the existence of any possible grandchild that may ever come," Bill said. "She's not allowed to spawn and give me little demons to try to train manners into. At least Beth had a lot when I took her in but I could not stand babies. So no, no second generation of any kind. If so, I'll wish her well and only visit when they're somewhere I don't have to see them until they're old enough to learn manners and use them." He walked off. Beth was still giggling.

"Wow," Richard said. "Most parents want grandkids."

"I don't want kids anyway," Beth said. "Kids get in the way of training and work."

Gwenny nodded. "Yes they do. My stepdaughter does often but she's ten. So we're having a lot of girl talks right now as she transitions, plus she hates sports." She grimaced. "She wants to be a computer hacker when she finishes growing up, if I don't kill her for her taste in awful music." She went back to her pasta salad. "Richard, what do you think about Beth's usual outfits for the last week?"

"I think she looks like a dowager. She wears a lot of old lady clothes."

"I tried."

"It doesn't fit right," Amanda said, looking her present outfit over. "Where did you get that?"

"Where I used to go for business clothes. Over by the mall but that little side street? That colorful shop on the corner. It looks like it's hipper clothes."

"Hip and fashionable clothes are only for those skeletons pretending to be healthy," Amanda snorted, patting her on the wrist and smiling at her. "Real women can't be in those things. They look wrong on us. Real women, classy women, wear what looks good on them and is at least slightly in fashion." She looked her over again. "You have a nice figure. When's your next day off that you can go shopping?"

"Probably three weeks. My day out of the center is presently spent on campus dealing with tests and the like." She grimaced. "But I'm nearly done with my summer classes a few days early for each semester."

"That's an accomplishment. I couldn't do that when all I did was college," Gwenny said. "When do you sleep?"

"I get a good six hours a night."

"Uh-huh. That's not enough," Gwenny said. "You know that."

"I know it catches up to me on holidays and breaks, but they demand I'm at least half time and this summer I could get a lot of the pointless mandatory stuff out of the way at once. This fall I've got three classes and one's my mandatory PE. Swimming for jocks."

Gwenny grimaced. "I remember that class. It was so pointless. I took running."

"Their track and field team took up all the spots."

"Ah." Gwenny nodded. "That makes sense."

"But you're an athlete," Amanda said.

"Even if you're on that school's teams, you still have a PE requirement," Gwenny said dryly. "I was on their softball team to pay for my college career. Still had one."

"I don't take enough hours even if they had a sport I could play," Beth said. "And they don't think fencing is really a sport even if it's in the olympics. A lot of the college has that viewpoint. Which is why I got into a discussion about football actually being a male fertility and childbirth ritual."

Gwenny groaned, drinking some of her water. "That's better than one of my girlfriends that called it gay sex in teams," Amanda said, choking Gwenny up again. "Sorry, dear." She patted her hand too.

"I have to tell my boyfriend that. He used to play ball to get his degree." She got up, clearing up her stuff. "I'll find my favorite catalogs for you, Beth. We'll see what we can do to help." She tossed her trash and went back to her office to recover. Plus have some chocolate. Chocolate was important after a lunch meeting like that one.

Beth looked at Amanda. "How do I quit being cute and start being a woman?"

"Grow a foot?" she said with a smile. "A lot of it's attitude, dear. You seem very tired."

"Three more weeks," she sighed. "Then I get a week off classes." She smiled. "Finally!"

Richard shook his head. "I can't imagine having the schedule you do, Beth."

"I have to, or else they can fire me. Since the board of directors hates me for all the attention I brought thanks to that family, I have to play by all the rules I can. After this fall, I have about ninety left out of my one-fifty."

"Nine hours a semester," Richard said, considering it. "You should get the degree right before you retire."

"Probably. Yup. And if I do ascend to a senior handler thanks to finally getting the degree, I'm no longer allowed to compete."

"But....Jason."

"Got fired," she said. "He made a national team and they fired him."

"That sucks," Amanda said. "It's what every athlete here wants to do."

"Yes, but we're handlers, not athletes. I get dirty looks for paying dues so I can practice here."

"That really does suck," Richard said. "What if it comes down to your fencing or your job?"

"I'll start paying dues somewhere else." She smiled. "It might even be cheaper if I could find a nearby fencing club."

"You don't get a discount for that?" Amanda asked. Beth shook her head. "The other trainers use all the facilities."

"We're allowed to use the pool, the gym, that stuff as long as they're not wanted by the regular athletes, but any other training facilities we have to pay for," Beth told her. "It sucks a lot since most of us are still in training shape but we don't have a say and that's pretty much standard at all the centers."

"What if you have to go to one of them instead?" Amanda asked.

"Well, I'll need an apartment since renting one of the ones here for a reduced rate is a perk."

"You pay rent for those dinky things?" Richard asked. She nodded. "Why?"

"Because living around here is about a grand a month for something that's barely the size of a hotel room." She grimaced. "We don't pay a high rent but we do pay rent. Any employee can apply to have an apartment if there's one open."

"Do others pay rent?" Richard asked.

"Bill does. Solice does."

"Solice?" he asked. "Which one is she?"

"You've seen the lady who looks like an uptight Thai goddess? Her. Though, that's not a bad solution to Dala's problem. She sent him a text that started with 'ask Handler Solice to go to the awards with you'. "She's just broken up. No one in the press can say anything about her or to her. She's a really good choice for that." She put her phone back in her pocket. "As far as I know, all of us who live on campus pay the same rent per bedroom."

"Are you thinking about leaving, Beth?" one of the younger handlers asked from her table.

"No, they were asking what sort of perks they give to handlers instead of trainees." She smiled. "I'll leave when they kick me out and I'll try to bring all my athletes with me." Richard smiled but nodded at the young thing. "Where did you get that outfit? I've been trying to find more fashionably reasonable clothes."

"The Gap."

"Oh, never mind. Their stuff never fits me right. I've got a flat butt and boobs, they hate that."

"Yeah, they have a lot of stuff for women without any curves. My mother bought it for me. I had been having fantasies about being one of those women who guys like to push against the wall to have ardent times with while wearing stockings. She proved me wrong."

"I used to read those same books," she said with a smile. "Bill sat me down to have a realistic talk about what dicks most guys my age were and how ladies like that were usually paid for it." The girl laughed. "It's was sweet of your mom to find you clothes that worked and were cute. Bill buys me gift certificates so I can get new clothes. I'm kinda hoping he'll buy me one so I can get new fencing boots. Mine have holes in the soles again." She huffed. "And I need new sneakers too." Richard grinned at her. "Seriously! You guys get to wear nearly anything to comps. I have uniforms I have to comply with."

"That does suck but at least it's not like Celia's gowns," he said.

"True. I don't have to talk to any designers about spangly bodysuits with skirts."

"You'd look cute," the junior handler quipped with a grin for her higher up. "But not for work. Maybe on Halloween with wings?"

"Maybe. Though, we're not allowed to do costumes until the party that night, none in the center during the day. They say it takes away from our professional atmosphere."

Antonio Dala strolled in, leaning over Beth's head to look down at her. "Which one is Solice?"

"The Thai looking goddess."

"Oh, her!" He nodded, going to find her. She might be a good cure to his escorting problem. She was pretty and his type. Plus able to kick him around if he got stupid.

Beth grinned. "Great idea." The couple grinned back at her.

"Do we have to do those?" the younger one asked in a near whine.

"Sometimes an athlete needs a safe escort," Beth said, looking at her. "You don't *have* to if you're asked. If you do end up going, use great manners, get something cute but not flirty, and have Gwenny help you with the checklist of stuff you should carry in your clutch purse. She gets to go to a lot of award things because she's polite, has manners, has great table manners, and they all like her because she's pretty but doesn't take shit from anyone."

She smirked. "Three years ago, Gwenny had to turn and nearly take out a basketball player who would not leave her butt alone. She went from 'no thank you' to 'do you need the morgue' with him in about twenty seconds. The guy she had been escorting stood there and laughed, clapping at her kicking him around. Thankfully the director didn't get onto her about it because I was having a crisis with that stupid family sending me jewelry."

"Jewelry?" Richard asked.

"Yeah, a pretty ruby necklace. Bill still gets an eye twitch each time he sees rubies."

"They're so cranked," Richard complained, looking at his wife.

"Thankfully we don't have a daughter they might like, dear," she said dryly, smirking at him.

"Yeah, or else I'd have to let her have a boyfriend. I'd never allow that." Beth giggled, swatting him then getting up to go up to her office with a pastry. "Eat more than that, Beth."

"I had lunch already. This is just a snack."

"Uh-huh." His wife smiled at him. "Lunch, dear?" She nodded, letting him go pick them something to eat. The others in the cafeteria smiled at the couple. They were cute and Richard liked that about his wife.

Beth headed up to the director's office like the text had told her to. "You wanted to see me, Director Bell?"

"Beth, the board has issues."

"It has many issues. Is one of their issues with me again?"

"My assistant said you were talking about moving off campus?"

"No. Richard asked me about the perks so we were talking about the apartments and how I'd have to find a new one if I got fired for competing."

"They can't do that. It looks bad on us."

"They think me having a national bronze does too," she said dryly. "They need to make up their minds. Before I go nuts from all the work I do."

"You're the only one who's doing college classes right now."

"No I'm not. My helper, Amanda, is. So are Sascha, Greggy, and Paul. I believe Aarron will be next January when he finally graduates."

"I did not know that." He looked those handlers up, shaking his head. "They should be it appears." He looked at her.

"They hate me for having problems with that family."

"Point." He looked at the other handlers, sorting by their degrees. "There's seven that should have degrees and don't."

"Two are in high school, sir."

"Good point." He grimaced. "We have to work that out. You're exhausted."

"I have a week free of classes in three weeks."

"Which you have to go to LA with Dala during."

"I suggested he go to Solice, sir. She's more glamorous."

"She is." He looked her over. "Didn't you just shop?"

"This is new," she agreed. "I'm trying to be more pretty, sir."

"You're fine, Beth. Just a bit old for your age. Ask Dala to help you?"

"No, I've asked Gwenny to help me. She knows how to dress like a real woman."

"That's fine then. As long as she doesn't mind." He looked at a few other things then at her. "Do you think you can finish your degree this decade?"

"Unless I quit working to just go to college, that may depend on the summer schedules since I can get more going at a time. Fall and spring I can only do three classes a semester." He winced. "I'll be at just over fifty in three weeks if I pass everything. Then nine more by the holidays."

"That's not a bad progression. No one can say you're not working hard toward it. What's your GPA?"

"Three-point-two at the moment. I tend to stay around there thanks to some of the mandatories I don't get along with."

"That's more than good enough, Beth." He considered it. "You look tired." She shrugged. "I know, not much you can do about things. Is there?"

"Sure, let me not need the degree. Make it go on practical skills or how long you've been here."

"I wish I could some days. It'd make a lot of junior handlers happy." She nodded. "Would you want to stay a junior handler?"

She shrugged. "I don't mind. It means I don't have a lot of scowling or expectations about my competing."

"They're not going to ease up on that, Beth."

She smiled. "I can go to another center to work out instead."

"Don't you dare. Bill would skin me."

"Possibly." She smiled. "I'm not giving up my sport, sir. Otherwise I'd have went to a regular college and done a regular degree to go work in an office somewhere."

"You could do that very well." He sighed, leaning back in his seat. "There's a lot of talk about us merging with another center."

"I don't think it'll do us any good, sir. Most of the nearby centers aren't as good as us, and one's frankly disgusting, and the others are just as good but on the west coast mostly."

"They're talking about merging with the Woodblind."

She shook her head. "That's a bad choice considering they're being sued for allowing a sexual assault to go on." She called up that newspaper article, letting him read it.

"That's disturbing."

"Yes it is," she agreed. "Which is another strike against them in many people's books. Frankly, if we have another time with Eww's handlers, I'll leave and move to a facility on the west coast myself, sir."

"I understand that hesitation."

"There's no hesitation. I'm not their target and I hate having to hurt people. I'll do it a lot if they show up here, but I hate to do it."

"I'd hope they wouldn't do that now."

"I hoped they wouldn't do it when I was seventeen, sir, but they did. I spent three weeks beating people off my ass then."

"I remember that. I came back from vacation to find a stack of forms about that." She smiled sweetly at that compliment. "I'll see what we can deal with over the school issue."

"Thank you. It'd be great if I had a night of full sleep."

"Is Al helping with that?"

"It's not that cohesive, Director. We're friends who occasionally find some relief."

"Oh, that's fine then. Are you looking for someone?"

"Yes, but they'll have to live in the closet because my bed's only a full and unlike some I probably can't sleep on top of them."

"My wife hates it when I do it to her and we have a king size."

"Mine's pushed against the wall on one side to make room for the dresser."

"That's bad. The apartments are that small?"

"Haven't you been in one recently, sir?"

"No."

"You can come look at mine. I need to do laundry but it's not a horrible mess unless someone's broken in again." She looked at her phone, getting into an app. "Celia's on my couch with an ice pack but I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

"I can do that later. I need to talk to the board."

"If not, maybe you can talk someone into starting a new center, sir. Most of us would follow. Including the athletes probably." She left.

He nodded. "They probably would." He went to the board meeting upstairs when it was time, shaking his head as he walked in. "A few issues have been raised by a number of handlers," he said as he sat down.

"What sort? Do we need to add them to the meeting minutes?" one asked.

"Yes. One of them is about the proposed merger with the Woodblinds center. Including that they're presently being sued for allowing a sexual assault on a few athletes to happen. Also that most of my staff refuses to work with theirs because of that sort of problem coming from their handlers. Most of my staff calls them 'eww' as a nickname."

"We heard that we had a revolt when they offered a handler trade," the head of the board said.

"No, no revolt, but seven different staff members voiced a problem with working with theirs, with some other athletes saying the same problems. Though one said he worried about puddles of STD's laying around over there." One of the members winced. "Exactly. My staff will not work with them at all. Also, they've got other problems that are probably pushing them to want to merge."

"Many of the board have interest over there. We've never heard of any of this."

"Let me have someone send me that article she found." He sent a message and she sent the address. He pulled it up on the in-room projection system's computer, letting them see it.

"I see their director needs an audit."

"It might help," Director Bell agreed. "We also must talk about a few other problems with the junior handlers. How do you expect young twenty-something kids to do a full time handler job, which is often sixty hours a week, plus college? I talked to one, she's taking extra hours since the summer schedule overlaps sessions, and nine hours this fall she'll have to take on campus plus her work here."

"That is a bit much," the head of the board admitted. "Which handler?"

"Beth DeSandra." That got a grimace. "She does that, her own training, that she pays dues for, and works more than most senior handlers do. Bill gave her an trainee handler to work with since she's got five athletes and a soccer team."

"How on earth?" the head of the board demanded.

"Two shooters, a figure skater, the female soccer team, Antonio Dala, and she took over a runner who never needs her to fill out forms for them when their original handler quit due to stress." The director looked at them all then at the head of the board. "There's seven junior handlers who need to be taking classes."

"We should only let them have jobs when they already have the degree."

"Most of our best handlers started as late teens," the Director corrected. "We have two in high school who are going to end up not going on past college levels and want to be coaches or handlers. We do great training them to be our later staff. It's just that they have a full time job plus college."

"She could give up competing."

"She's promised to go to another center if we fire her for competing since it's not stated that junior handlers can't compete and it does look good on us to have someone who took bronze at a nationals event on staff."

"She did?" one of the usually quiet members asked.

"Yes." Director Bell smirked at him. "She had been fifth in the nation before but she was hiding her skills because of the politics and those two that had hogged the top two spots for about a decade. She got one to quit sooner because she asked about a uniform change rule based on pictures the other woman had posted online. The other's vowed to retire next year. Beth's going to try for the national team and 2016. We have two other fencers who aren't staff but the female is about sixth in the national and the male is about the same level. They all practice against each other."

"Is she that one's handler?"

"No. Though she will pass on forms and the like if Cecily wants her to. She's got to pull them up anyway."

"Doesn't she have a handler?"

"No. She hasn't wanted one. If she needs help, she goes to her adoptive father, Bill."

"The major is a strict father. I heard he has another one?"

"A young woman whose father thinks that women in sports is immoral but she's very good. Even after her brother stabbed her in the hallway. We had a day of reissuing passes and codes."

"Did she press charges?"

"Yes. He was arrested in the ER after his father found him." He smirked slightly. "Her mother didn't want to let Bill have her daughter but the young lady in question was being ridden hard for daring to be a girl who did sports. Her father thinks that her doing sports is what warped her brother into stabbing her."

"I've seen parents like that," one of them agreed. "At least we know Bill's good at that sort of situation. Apparently DeSandra is one of our best and brightest up and coming handlers."

"Who is at fifty hours as of the end of the summer session, as long as she passes everything, out of one-hundred-fifty hours. Also, that college doesn't exempt from PE for even their own athletes."

"There's another college we work with."

"They told her they don't accept gay athletes and since she hadn't had a boyfriend yet they decided she fit that category. Sports plus strong will plus no lovers by then equaled lesbian to them."

"Pity. It's an easier program."

"I'd like to find others. They all need about the same level of classes and I'm not sure all hers would transfer anyway."

"I'll look into other programs." The head of the board made himself a note. "Any other huge problems?"

"We may need to add on some facilities. We're usually short a gym unless we adhere to a schedule. We have gymnasts sharing a gym with a volleyball team and the soccer teams take up two different gyms."

"So we may need to upgrade. Anything about new machines?"

"No. My people hate the high tech machines because they can hurt an athlete if they're not set properly. Woodblind has a lot of those from what our head trainer Toby said."

"Good to know," he said, making that note as well. "Lawsuits?"

"Probably hushed up. I haven't looked."

"I can do that and it'll look like a good reason for the audit." He looked at him. "What would you suggest about the junior handler classwork issue?"

"You could give credit for time worked. You could let them go up in status after a set number of years. DeSandra's nineteen and she's been with us since she was almost sixteen." The head of the board winced. "Thankfully we think that family has finally been stopped after they tried legally questionable actions to get her to their country again."

"I heard about the kidnaping."

"They also tried to have her deported using faked marriage documents and tried to have her injured at the courthouse via gunman attacks. Twice."

The head of the board nodded. "I'd hope they had stopped them as well. Why did we have agents a few weeks back?"

"A few of the handlers you guys sent down turned out to be gold diggers who hated Beth for having casual friendships with her athletes. One tried to complain that she had eaten dinner with Bill, tried to say it was an improper relationship. She took her eating with her first two athletes, who are very good friends, and turned it into a torrid affair, then one kidnaped her from the gym changing area to the State Department building in New York City. They dropped her on the doorstep then went to try to charm Dala into going with them somewhere warm, sunny, and fun. The agents had them arrested as soon as they found out what had happened. Beth came home with Bill after he picked her up."

"Does she always have these sort of problems?"

"No. Just that family and the bimbos. They all thought she was in the way of them getting to Dala because she was being a good handler."

"We had another attack of them."

"Yes, we did," the director agreed, smirking meanly. "Which may have led back to that family's bounty on Beth's virginity. They had some tenuous links. Including Al's ex-wife and her attempt to plant pot in Beth's office."

"Why?"

"To discredit her."

"Figures," the head of the board complained. "Is she a good handler?"

"She's a great handler, sir."

"Why is she living in the building?"

"She applied for an apartment when she moved out of Bill's spare bedroom. With the pay grade she has, she couldn't afford to live within a reasonable distance."

"Do we underpay?" the quiet one asked.

"A tiny bit. We have better perks than the other centers but we do underpay by about seven thousand a year." They nodded. "Ten for the upper level handlers."

"So, she pays dues out of her paycheck," the head of the board said.

"She pays rent, her groceries, her laundry fund, all that plus dues out of her paycheck," the director corrected. "The apartments are partially discounted but aren't free. They're not anything special but they do the job."

"Let the board look into the issue of the pay rate," one of the members said, looking at the head of the board.

"Yes, I can agree with that investigation. It shouldn't take too much time." Director Bell smiled and nodded. "Any other grievances from your staff, Director Bell?"

"Right now, no. Though they will not work with the Woodblinds' people. Most of my staff has stated that view."

"I can agree with that sentiment over their safety if those allegations are found true," the head of the board said. The Director pulled up incidences with the borrowed/loaned staff in the past, letting them see it. "I can see why. Who was that?" he asked. "They have nineteen counts of self defense?"

"That would be DeSandra having to protect herself," Director Bell said. "I came back from vacation to all those thanks to one of the female trainers over there trying to force herself on Beth."

"Wonderful," the head of the board sighed. "Has she fixed that problem that got that family onto her?"

"Yes. Now she's looking for someone to date, if she only had time."

"How is she doing so many credit hours?" another member asked.

"The summer sessions are of varying times and can overlap," another said with a smile. "I did that to fill in my second major."

"Exactly, and she's doing most of hers online. She's having some classes on campus this fall if she's still taking them. We have five junior handlers who're needing degrees to ascend status. Plus two in high school who will have this problem within two years."

The head of the board shook his head. "We take them in that young?"

"Yes. Mostly they're realistic and know they can't go on past college levels so they want to be coaches or handlers. They trained with us or a relative has. I'm thinking that the one Bill's watching over now may end up being another one."

"How did he get DeSandra to agree to be a handler?"

"I'm not certain since he put her in a rigorous school, put her on their soccer team as well as her fencing training, and put her in a martial arts when the all girls school got on her nerves." He grimaced. "Which was why she never had time to date and that family focused on her. I'm fairly certain Bill won't be as stringent with Sophia."

"I've heard we had an officer visit?" the head of the board asked dryly, leaning back looking smug.

"Toby and a few others warned the other females who might be chosen for such honors that it could happen and what they were looking for. One of the younger athletes got a bit worried and told her friend, who talked to her mother, who thought we'd be arranging to find her a suitable spouse. The officer looked over the files on all that mess and agreed it was a good idea to warn them it could happen. The officer went back to the worried mother to assure her it wasn't what she thought."

"So they are aware?"

"Yes, sir. We've since found out one of the teenage athletes we have training for track and field events has gotten a few letters of interest but nothing like a family vowing to take her in and give her support if she'd come join them. We've also talked to a few worried parents after that talk, who agreed it was very odd but something to keep in mind if they had that notice pointed at their daughters."

"If it was mine, I'd suggest it too." The head of the board looked at the others, who all shook their heads. "Have they stopped that new girl's problems?"

"I handed those to the same State Department agent that came after they had to rescue Beth the last time. He apparently had a few words with the new ambassador. They're embarrassed at that movement."

"At least it doesn't have official sanction. But DeSandra won't have those problems?"

"She shouldn't. That whole family was punished by their people for the assassination attempt at the courthouse."

"Good." He smirked. "Any others?"

"Not yet. The bimbos hate that she's effective and nice. That's been their problem all along."

"Some girls are competent and some live on their wiles," the quiet member of the board said dryly. "Any other issues, Director?"

"Not at the moment as far as I know."

"Then have a great day and let us get on with those investigations."

"Have a good day, people." He left, going back to his office to have a congratulatory cup of coffee. They hadn't fussed at him or anyone else. It was almost miraculous.
Chapter 17 by CE Dalton
Chapter 17



Hilda was there to pick up Antonio, smiling when she tapped on Beth's door. "I have a few questions that Antonio was wondering about but wasn't going to ask."

"Sure. I have seats." She pointed at one. "Is he having a problem training? I've been looking up good coaches to get him back into all the dives he might need. One of the college aged ones has a private coach but he'll just give subtle hints, not work with Dala. Said it was a conflict of interest, which we all agreed was a good thing to be worried about."

Hilda smiled. "He could use that. He was thinking about that himself. Did you find one?"

"I was going to give him a list of ones we've worked with in the past." She pulled it up. "I'm still looking over the options of former athletes turned coach."

Hilda looked the list over on the monitor. "I know three of those he loathes. They had fits when he was diving."

"Two of the three have changed a lot. They've quit drinking, they've cleaned themselves up a lot. No more hos in the nightclub to quote one."

Hilda grinned. "He might accept that. When you get it done, forward the list to me as well." Beth nodded she'd do that. "Why don't you file for work credit hours?"

"I tried. They said it wasn't applicable to anything but a PE major. We have to have a sports management degree instead."

"Hmm. Are you paying tuition?"

"I am. I can't get reimbursed for things like books and other needs if I go through the Pell Grant program. Though I do have a scholarship for part of it."

"No loans?"

"No. I don't want them hanging over my head. I checked on the various grants and scholarships I might be eligible for but a lot of it won't get reimbursed if I have to pay the remaining out of my pocket. The center only reimburses for tuition, not books or anything."

"And most scholarships pay tuition," Hilda said. Beth nodded with a grimace. "In some ways that makes sense but in others that's putting a huge weight on you since you have to be taking classes to keep your job."

"A number of us have temporarily quit to do college full time then came back. I thought about that but with the problems I had, I couldn't see me being on campus being safe for me. Plus I really hate the campus there. I'd still have to find a fencing club to work with, and there's not really one around here. I'd have to go to New York City for that. There's only four colleges that they'll accept the programs as good enough; none of them are near any fencing clubs."

"So it was your education or your sport," Hilda said, grimacing.

Beth nodded, smiling some. "I was good enough to go to school on a soccer scholarship but again, safety issues and I wanted to keep fencing. The only good choice I had was continue to work and study at the same time."

"It means you can't become a senior handler for at least five years."

"About ten semesters, not counting extra during the summer. I'll have to take a few extra classes here and there to keep it from becoming twelve semesters. So five years, yeah." She shrugged. "Not a real other choice."

"Can you get another program's degree accepted?"

"A few have tried. They picked apart the athletic department and all the teachers. A few went to other colleges and tried to come in with other degrees, the board made them take some accessory classes on top of their old degree. Gwenny got hired specifically because her minor had been social work, they needed that skill benefit."

"Again, it makes sense to have one here." She considered it. "Are the other three programs any better?"

"One's from a small school near Chicago. One's on the west coast. The other's a small private christian school that would not accept me because they decided me being in sports meant I was a lesbian and let me know that at the end of the interview. They didn't even bother to send a turn down letter."

Hilda grimaced. "That's a very bad standard to set. What if you had been on their team?"

"They wouldn't allow it. A few of the guys went there and Toby graduated from there, but they have a lot of rules that no one wants to follow. Toby nearly got expelled from what he said. Apparently he was holding hands with his fiancé and they had a fit."

"One of those. Okay."

"They apparently had a no dating clause in the student conduct code."

"That seems extreme to me."

"To me too." She grinned. "College would've made it easier to date."

"Much," Hilda agreed, crossing her legs. "I can't believe they're that strict."

"They refused to honor a guy who had done his undergrad there when he got a major scientific award because he came out of the closet after he left."

Hilda grimaced. "Definitely a school I don't want to attend then."

"Me either but some people want that sort of education their financial aid packages paid enough to go there instead." She shrugged. "You do what you gotta do sometimes and hide things from people."

"Too true." She smiled. "Maybe they'll accept a few other programs soon."

"I can only hope that most of my credits would transfer if they do."

"That is a point but they should."

"With the way my year's went....." she said dryly. Hilda smiled at her. "At least they won't want to kidnap me too."

"Probably not. Are you all right about all that?"

"Eehhh. Creeped out and pretty mad. I quit being scared when they took me the first time. I just got really mad at them for giving me such a compliment that I'm that good." She blinked at Hilda then grinned. "It's a great compliment but I'd rather they disappear for good."

"I can see why." She looked behind her. "Hi."

"Solice, this is Hilda, Antonio Dala's former wife."

"Charmed, ma'am." She shook her hand. "Bad news. My mother's demanding I come home for my sister's wedding, even though we don't speak, and it's the day before the ESPY's."

Hilda moaned. "There's no way you can get there."

"We might send her with a guard," Beth said. "Her mother's a bit...of a crank."

"She demanded I come home then went on and on about this young doctor my father knows," Solice said dryly. "At least they haven't planned the wedding but still." She shook her head. "Who was your second choice?"

"I have no idea." Beth leaned back. "I know no one would believe I was more than a hired escort for him."

Hilda stared at her. "You're a beautiful young woman, Beth."

"I'm also nineteen, which is well below his usual range of women, I'm not blonde, perky, or happy. We're supposed to be inconspicuous if we're escorting someone so we don't look like we're obligated or guarding them." She pushed her hair back over her shoulder. "What about Ebony? I doubt he'd mind that she's not blonde."

"She and Dala do not get along. She used to date one of his competitors and hates him," Solice said. "I asked when she hissed at him one day in the hallway. She's still mad that losing to Dala meant her boyfriend went off the deep end of jealousy and started to use drugs for being less good."

"A lot of that is luck," Hilda said.

"We all know that. So does Ebony, but she's not going to give that up. That only leaves one of the younger ones, one of the guys, or Annabeth." Beth shuddered. "Yeah, I doubt she'd do any good there. That's the lady in PR that does all the interview schedules and threatens to fire us if we have breasts. Even if they're not showing."

"She got me one day for showing my throat dip due to a bruise," Beth said. "I had to bring her to the infirmary with me so the doctor could inform her that I was not allowed to wear anything near that bruise until it faded then I went to whine to Bill and he told Annabeth to quit."

"Wow," Hilda said. "That's a bit uptight."

"Yeah," Beth agreed. Solice nodded she agreed. "She got me once for having pants on until I growled and pointed out I actually had to go all around the facility and be able and ready to help my athletes. She quit picking on me when I turned eighteen but I still get the stinky eye for some of my shirts being a bit tight."

"That's way too uptight," Hilda said. "So, Beth...."

She shrugged. "I'm off that week. It's the week between semesters. I have a gown, but it's older. I need to have it cleaned and pressed."

"Beth, your old gown is old," Solice said. "It looks like you borrowed it from your mom."

"It's not that bad. It's tasteful, black, chiffon with some appliques on the lace overlay. Has straps and a sweepy sort of hemline."

Hilda stared at her. "Really?" Beth pulled up a picture of her in it. "That's pretty enough but too old for you."

"It was slightly inexpensive and it fit, it was a last minute buy," Beth said. "I had two weeks to get it done and fitted."

"I've had a few of those but now I keep a spare gown in the closet. I'd let you borrow but you have breasts and I'm a lot more flat."

"And skinnier," Beth said with a smile.

"Bullsnot, you've lost twenty pounds this summer, Beth," Solice said, walking off. "Let me know if you need help shopping since Gwenny's out of town this week."

"She was going to help me look a bit closer to a grown up woman instead of a teenage girl," she called after her.

"You could use it, kiddo."

Beth rolled her eyes, shaking her head. "I could," she agreed. "I look cutesy, not womanly."

Celia walked in, smiling at Hilda. "She dresses like an old maid prude, like Annabeth." She looked at her handler. "Why am I due for an interview next week?"

"Because your coach said so?"

"Oh, well. I thought I had an event." She let Beth pull up her schedule. "I have almost none of that noted."

Beth shot off an email to the coach with that schedule. She got one back a few minutes later, printing it off for Celia. "He had things I don't."

"I have no time for practice with that schedule. Did he remove an event?"

"Yes." Beth looked it over and pointed. "He removed a professional level event."

"No, that's not suitable." She walked off calling him once Beth had printed both schedules off for her, starting off by calling him a nasty name in Russian in greeting.

Beth smiled. "Sometimes Celia is very fiery. It goes with the red hair."

"I've heard that said." She smiled. "There's a few nice places to look online that aren't expensive." She pulled up a website, showing it to her. "You can sort by color."

Beth pulled it up on her computer, letting Hilda help her shop for something. "I like this cream colored one and it does come in black. Short dress, one arm covered. Lace to make it a tasteful level and below the mid-thigh skirt to make it a formal gown instead of a club dress. Bit of a cutout around the bosom."

Hilda smiled. "Click on that red one with the white skirt. I'm pretty sure we can get that made in a better color than white. The lace with appliques is really pretty, it's long sleeves with a tasteful v-neck and normal back so you won't have to worry about a bra showing." Beth considered that, and opened up another tab with another dress. That one was a black one more like the cream, only it had a single shoulder strap instead of a full sleeve.

Hilda nodded at that. Beth pulled up one that had silver satin up top that was interrupted by a black waist cincher at empire bust level and fell to a simple satin black skirt. Strapped but two thicker straps and very tasteful. "That's a bit more demure and older looking," Hilda said. "I like the first three. Here, go to this site." She pulled it up for Beth. "Input a picture." Beth found one of her. "Now, link to those dresses and it'll show them overlaid on your picture." Beth beamed at her, doing that. "Hmm. You look nice in most of them." She looked out there. "Celia, come help her decide."

She came back, looking at the four pictures, blinking a few times. "The silver and black is one that most handlers would say was tasteful but the red one is fantastic looking and so are the other two. How expensive are they?"

"Under two hundred each." She looked up. "It's the ESPY's."

Antonio leaned in. "I talked to Solice."

"We'll be lucky if we don't have to go save her from her mother again," Beth said. She smiled at him. "So it seems you'll be stuck with me that night."

"I'm sure you're a great escort, Beth, and if I get into a snarling match again you can help me shut them down." He came over to look over her shoulder. "I like the cream and the red ones."

"Should be in black. We're supposed to look demure and be just there like a mannequin." She looked up. "The dress code states a dark color. Both of those come in black and the cream one comes in navy. The red I think comes in navy or chocolate as well."

Celia shook her head. "You don't look right in navy." She took the mouse to look at the available colors. Picking one didn't change the picture any. "I like the silver and black, it looks like a handler's dress code dress. For me personally, I'd love to see you in any of the other three. You should get all four."

"My closet isn't that big. Plus expensive."

Antonio looked down at her. "How big is your closet?"

"Enough for my present wardrobe to be smashed in there so I have to steam them."

Antonio shook his head. "Maybe weeding out the older stuff?"

"It's the size of a standing locker," Celia said.

Antonio shuddered. "My shoe rack is bigger than that. Hilda's purse rack is bigger than that."

"Rent is something I can afford."

Bill leaned in. "Solice's talked to you?"

"She has. We're deciding on what I'm getting for the ESPY's." Bill came in to look, grimacing. "We have the one that would be approved." She showed him that one.

"It's dowdy on you," Bill said. "I really like the other three. Can you try them on?"

"No stores," Hilda said. "I really adore the red and the cream one."

"The red isn't too racy. They come in a darker color?" he asked.

"They all come in black," she said. She showed him the options.

"Pick one of the bare leg looking ones." He patted her on the head. "And get a haircut." He left her to decide. He didn't know anything about clothes.

Beth looked then at Antonio. "Which one will match with you?"

"I have a black tux, Beth. It'll go with anything. You could do the red one in that color, or the cream in that color."

"Not in the dress code."

"That's stupid."

"We're there to be no more than an escort. We're supposed to fade into the background so you athletes are focused on." She pulled up that dress code. "Hmm. They changed it. Nothing strapless and no one-shoulder gowns." She called the director. "It looks like I'll have to go with Dala to the ESPY's but the gowns we're looking at are one shouldered, but black." She listened to why that was changed. "I'm not going to fall out of them. They're all tasteful. I can forward you what I'm looking at."

Hilda took the keyboard, logging into a program. "Have him log into this as well," she ordered. Beth read the address of the meeting site. "There we go," she said when the director's face popped into view. Beth hung up the phone and they went over the four choices. The director decided on the red dress in black so she ordered that. "Do you get reimbursed for that since it's work related?" Hilda asked. Beth shook her head. The director hung up. "That's weird." She logged out, letting Beth close out the windows. "That'll help." She smiled. "And later we can work on the other stuff you'll need to deal with." She smiled at her ex-husband. "She's looking up coaches to refine your problems."

"So have I. I saw Jorge was coaching."

"He gave up the hos and the clubbing from what he told a few reporters," Beth quipped.

"He needed to before it killed him," Antonio said dryly. "It's probably made him more grumpy to be around too. He was tolerable while drunk but an ass while sober."

"Should I even mention...." Hilda muttered, looking up. Antonio walked around the desk to hug her around the shoulders. "Thank you."

"You changed me for the better." He looked at Beth. "Travel the day before?" She nodded. "I'll pick you up. I'll be out there until then unfortunately." Hilda smirked. "Thankfully I have my own gym at the house." He strolled off.

Hilda shook her head but smiled. "It'll be fine."

"I've had to go twice before," Beth admitted. "With a teenage athlete." Hilda smiled. "It happens, I know. Okay, so ordered, and then...." A new email popped up. She opened it. "I didn't know we had an internet monitor." She sent back an email about that being work related shopping since she had to go to an awards event. She rolled her eyes and forwarded that email to Bill as well. "Sorry, they complained I was shopping on work time."

"Some people are that uptight," Hilda said. "Are you feeling all right?"

"I'm good. I actually got some real sleep last night. Which is probably why I look tired." She smiled. "Thank you for worrying. And for the womanly advice."

"Not a problem." She shook her hand and left, going to take Antonio to dinner. They had things to talk about.

Al leaned in a few hours later. "So, a red dress?"

"Against dress code and you know it," she said with a smile. "Black."

"Pity." He winked. "Dinner? Then you sleeping again?"

"I slept last night."

"I can tell, you look exhausted." She smiled, logging off and sending in her time card. They went to the caf to eat dinner then to workout in the gym together. It was good for both of them, even though muscles weren't really required in their fields. It also wore Beth out so she could sleep on top of Al after a quick round of squealing.

***

Beth walked into an office, staring at the older woman there. "You wanted to see me, ma'am? And who are you?"

"You were shopping...."

Beth held up a hand. "I was doing necessary, for work, shopping because I have to escort an athlete to an event. I also conferenced in the director to make sure I was within dress code regulations." The woman scowled. Beth stared back. "Frankly, I was not aware we had an internet monitor in this facility. Considering I spend a quarter of my day looking things up for my athletes, making their travel plans, and doing other miscellaneous paperwork for them I probably would've been aware of you before this. So until the director tells me that you have authority for anything, have a great day and welcome to the Reed Center, ma'am." She walked off.

"You won't last here long, you uppity young slut."

Beth came back to the doorway. "I've been here now for four years, ma'am. I'm also not a slut considering I was a virgin until about a month ago. I don't know where you get your information or who you have me mistaken with, but take it to the director if you have a problem with me or any handler. That is the proper procedure." She walked off. She sent an email up to the director, carbon copying it to Bill. Within minutes she had a 'get up here' from the director. She walked in after a quick knock. "Yes, sir?"

"Did you get into a pissing match with her?"

"No. I corrected her faulty assumption, sir. Including that me shopping for an event I'm going to for the center wasn't personal shopping and that as far as anyone in the staff knows we don't have an internet monitor. Then she called me an uppity slut so I corrected that one as well."

The director looked at her. "Beth is not uppity or a slut. She never has been. She's uptight, but properly so." He looked at Beth. "The board hired her."

"Then the board can set down what appropriate rules are, sir. I'm not dealing with things until they officially come down as a memo or a rule change."

"Good point. They're going to change a few things."

She snorted. "I've seen a few of those wanted changes. I'm sure it'll enhance me not getting anything done for weeks on end. I don't really think I can wear a pencil skirt and button up shirt in the ice rink helping Celia or in the firing range helping Al. Or, God forbid, running drills with my soccer team in heels."

The director blinked then nodded. "That is dumb. Where did you hear that?" She pulled up the email to hand over. He read it then shook his head. "No. Not reasonable. I find you reasonably dressed most of the time, even if you don't look too exciting."

"I tried to shift it up some but I'm not making it right now." She shrugged. "I'm able to do my job well enough in knit pants."

"You are," he agreed, handing the phone back. "She's right, there's been no rule changes. She is allowed to shop for anything that her athletes or she needs for center events or competitions."

"I have ordered my next jacket while at work but I also had no lunch that day," Beth said.

The matron glared at her. "Why would you need a new jacket?"

"My fencing jacket, ma'am. Most of us around here are athletes as well. Some of us still compete." The woman sneered at her. "I'd amend your research about me. I don't care what you think about me or anything I do. You are not my supervisor."

"You slutty young things are bringing down this facility, Amanda!"

Beth burst out laughing. "Oh, you're one of the stupid ones. That figures." The director winced. "Ma'am, I am not Amanda. She is fourteen, and still a virgin as well because she has no time to date between work and her own training schedule, the same as I didn't. She is a trainee I'm working with so she learns how to handle team sports." The woman took a swing at her so Beth slugged her back, knocking her down and out. "Hmm, you obviously went to a prep school. You hit like the society brats I went to high school with." She looked at the director. "Would you like me to warn Amanda? And is her real job what we got from Annabeth before I turned eighteen, sir?"

"Possibly," he admitted. "And please do."

She called her. "Amanda, it's me. Come upstairs please. There's a board poison arrow here that just accused you of being a slut and got us confused. Director's office. Thanks." She hung up and tucked her phone back into her pocket, humming as she sat down. "Hope you don't mind, sir, but new shoes."

"I'd rather you sit. It'll make it harder for you to hit her again." He stared at her. "You're suspended for two days."

"Thank you." She smiled. "I can do some homework."

The director rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

Amanda tapped on the door and walked in. "Director, is there a problem?"

"Do you remember me telling you about Annabeth and the teenage handlers?" Beth asked. Amanda grimaced but nodded. "The board hired a second one to look over our internet usage. She called me an uppity slut and thought I was you."

"Screw her," Amanda said. "I don't need this stress. I have a test this week to get into college."

Beth smiled, getting up to hug her. "You will do magnificent on your SATs. I know you will. Bill knows you will. We *all* know you will, Amanda. You have a higher GPA than most of us have ever had." The girl smiled, blushing some. "Take the day before off."

"I tried."

"I'll arrange it," the director promised, pulling up the schedule. "Oh, you have that luncheon."

Beth looked. "With?"

"Hernandez and you're still going to be suspended that day."

"You got suspended?" Amanda demanded. Beth pointed at the groaning lady on the ground. "Did she start it?" Beth and the director nodded. "Then that's self defense and a badge of honor. I won't tell Celia on the way down. She's a bit mean today."

"She has those days. Her coach took her from a pro level event to do an interview instead."

"That's a bad move," Amanda said. "Well, if your people need something while you're off doing homework I'll have them come to me instead. Al's a sweetie and Richard's a neat guy." She looked at the director. "Anything else you need me for, Director? I have to go back to making travel plans for my other two athletes."

"I'll send Sanya with Hernandez." Beth shook her head quickly. "Problems with that?"

"She needs table manners. She also has a bit of social anxiety. Gwenny has been working on her anxiety but I'm not sure how far she's gotten."

"All right, I can ask Gwenny that. Did you want to go?"

"No!"

The director smirked. "You sure?"

"You know I hate attention."

"I do." He smiled at Amanda. "Go back to work. I'll make sure she realizes that you're not ...." He cleared his throat.

"Like the bimbos they had to fire?" Amanda asked with a grin. "Definitely not, my mother would be ashamed, sir. Thank you." She left.

The director looked at Beth. "You know better than to hit," he said, talking down to her.

"She tried to hit me first. I'm not going to take a punch, sir. If she tries again, I'll gladly take a few extra days off to sleep and finish homework."

"Don't get smart, DeSandra."

"Sorry, sir." She looked at the woman on the ground. "As you can tell, I'm not Amanda. Who is a very nice young woman with a great future. She's won a full ride scholarship already based on academic merit. She has a brilliant future doing whatever she wants to be doing." She looked back at the cleared throat. "Annabeth, have you had any problems with Amanda?"

"No. She's a brilliant young woman who I hope finds a career outside this center so she does more than sports. The same as I had hoped for you."

Beth shrugged but smiled. "I like sports. That's why I'm still competing."

"That's reasonable. The dress code changes, sir?"

"I've seen an email. Did they make it official?"

"Yes, and they want the girls to look like slutty secretaries."

"I'm wondering how they expect me to help my soccer team in heels and a pencil skirt," Beth said.

"No, that's not reasonable," Annabeth said. She stared at Beth. "Sophia?"

"Her father decided her being in sports was what made her brother stab her because he wasn't being spoiled for her wins. The same father they had to pull out of here by his hair last year."

"I remember that," she said with a grimace. "Some parents have no skills at it."

"Gwenny had a talk with them," Beth said with a smile. Annabeth shuddered. "Bill's doing wonderfully as her adoptive uncle. I even gave her some of my old posters."

"That's sweet of you, dear. Are you all right?"

"This one who is apparently our internet monitor decided I was an uppity slut and Amanda. I've corrected both. Then she tried to hit me. So I have a few days to do homework."

"They need to take that pressure off you. There's no way you'll stay healthy if you're wearing yourself out this way." She looked at the director, who flapped a hand. "Who should I complain to, Director?"

"Ambersolm it looks like."

"I can definitely do that." She strolled off. "Have a good few days off, Beth."

"Thank you, and let me know if Celia's coach is going to cause her more stress please."

"I've already talked to her and him. She straightened him out." She smirked back at her. "She's very forceful." She got onto the elevator, heading back to her office.

Beth looked at the director, who stared at her. "Her coach took her from an event for an interview."

"Great." He looked at the woman sitting up. "I was wondering if I should call the infirmary for you." He looked at Beth. "Five days, and no working!"

"Yes, sir. May I finish up today?"

"Fine. I'll be checking."

"That's fine. I'll let Amanda finish my travel arrangements for the team for me." She nodded and left. She went to Bill's office, which was up the hall from Amanda. "I have five days of suspension for hitting the woman. He just told me I can't work." Amanda leaned out to look at her. She smiled. "I'll hand you any travel arrangements I don't have made by then."

"Gee, thanks."

"It'll be after your test."

"Thanks."

"Use it to teach the other young ones." Amanda grinned, calling them together to do that. She looked at her adoptive father, who was glaring at her. "She took a swing at me. She hit like a prep school girl." She leaned on the doorframe. "So I'll have time to finish all my homework but the director said he'd be checking me for doing real work."

"Wonderful."

She smiled. "It means I get everything done."

"Uh-huh. Finish up for the day." She strolled off. He sighed, sending out a text message to her athletes. They could help her with all that resting mess.
Chapter 18 by CE Dalton
Chapter 18


Beth came out of the airport with her single bag, smiling at the man holding up a sign with her name. "I'm Beth DeSandra," she said.

"Beth," someone called, waving a hand.

She smiled and walked over there to give him a hug. "Why are you on this coast, silly?"

He grinned. "Escorting someone to the ESPY's. You?"

"Same. Apparently I have a driver."

"He's not licensed."

"He's got my name."

"He's not licensed." Her former fellow trainee handler stared down at her. "Who's supposed to pick you up?"

"Antonio Dala."

"That's not his people." He walked her back there. "Who hired you to pick her up? I'm a bit overprotective of my former helper."

"Miss Hilda did, sir," he said. He looked at her. "Though I can see why you might be paranoid. Women don't often like going with men they don't know."

Someone cleared his throat, making them look at him. "Antonio, he said Hilda hired him."

"I doubt that. Hilda's up to her eyeballs in company business today." He took her bag. "No dress?"

"Carefully packed by the tailor who fixed it for me. Brad Listings, this is Antonio Dala. Antonio, this is Brad. He was a trainee handler when I was. He's one that went to college and ended up out here at Mercer?" she asked him.

"Still." He smiled. "We've heard about the board trying things at the Reed Center. I'm so glad I got out of there."

"One of their last plots got me suspended for five days so I had time to do homework." Antonio snorted, walking her off. "I'll talk to you there, Brad."

"Sure, be safe, Bethie." He waved. Then he looked at the driver who was trying to disappear. "Good idea." He got an officer over to talk to him. They could ask that guy who had really hired him. You never could be too careful with Beth's safety.

***

Beth walked over to answer her hotel room's door, smiling at the well dressed man standing on the other side. "Yes, do I know you?" she asked, putting in an earring.

"I'm the driver for Mr. Dala, ma'am."

"All right. Give me a second." She turned to grab her clutch and wrap. He tried to grab her and stick a needle in her neck but she was still in practice to defend herself. Once he was down she sighed, settling in to redo her hair quickly. She repacked her purse and made sure she hadn't left anything in the hotel room she couldn't lose before walking over him and calling hotel security. They came up to grab the guy. "He was pretending to be my escort's driver," she said when one stared at her.

"How did you disarm him, ma'am?" the security guard asked with a smile.

"Taekwondo."

"Oh. Good job then. Any weapons?" She pointed at the needle. "That's a nasty thing. I'll get someone up to handle that for you. Are you staying in tonight?"

"I'm escorting someone to the ESPY's."

"Oh, dear. Does he...." He waved a hand at the guy.

"He knows there were a few problems in the past. He's very protective though."

"Good." He escorted her down to the lobby so she could wait in comfort and safety. Then he went back up to finish removing that guy from the hotel. The local police department would love him they were sure.

Beth looked up from checking her emails on her phone, smiling at the very late Antonio. "Forgot me?" she teased, standing up and strolling over.

"Traffic is nuts. There's a wreck or something from all the cop cars." He smiled, taking her arm once she had put her phone back into her clutch. "That does look nice on you."

"Thank you." They went to his sports car, letting him drive them off.

"So why all the cops?"

"Oh, someone said they were your driver."

He groaned, rubbing his forehead. "That family?"

"No idea. I just disarmed him and called security."

"Good!" She smirked at him. "Any idea why the board at the center hates you?"

"I have an idea but I'm hoping I'm wrong." He glanced at her at a light. She smiled. "Proving it would be hard and I've subtly started that."

"Hmm." He found the convention center, pulling into the parking area. He let the valet take the keys and got out with her. She smiled, taking his arm again as they walked off. "Are you sure you're all right? You feel shaky."

"I'm fine. Just a bit paranoid."

"Good. It seems like a reasonable action for you." She grinned. "You look so familiar sometimes."

"That's because you went to school for about six months with my mother. Middle school."

"Really?" She nodded. "Huh. Small world." They both took a breath before entering the reporter barrage area.

"Antonio!" one called. "Is that your new girlfriend?"

"She's my handler, people." They pouted. She smiled up at him, shrugging some. He grinned back. They made it inside with only a few questions having to be answered. So maybe it'd be okay tonight.

***

Beth called her lawyer friend. "It's Beth. Any news?" She listened to him read the report, wincing. "That's what I was worried about. So any idea? That'll work for me. No, I've had two different people here and one the LAPD told me led back to the center's board. Exactly, that was their fax. Thanks. Let me know. Yes, please do. Exactly. Thanks." She hung up and went to reclean her face. It was late and she had to fly back the next day. Unless something strange happened.

***

Beth reappeared back at the center, running into her father on purpose. "Hey, Bill." She dropped her bag to give him a hug. "You look upset. What's happened now?"

He stared at her. "You know about your father?"

"I've had a few people come up to me and tell me I look just like someone. Including his former wife. Which was about when my aunt started to give me interested looks as a cash cow but she hadn't heard that meeting. Apparently they met at a music festival. She had an idea about me."

"She's the one that told me to come check on you."

She smiled. "Well, that worked out well then."

"You're the one that filed a challenge to his will," he said quietly. She nodded. "Why? The money?"

She glared. "Do you really think I'm that shallow?" He shook his head, sighing at the end. "Has it escaped your notice that the board is trying a lot of things to get us shut down?"

"I have."

"And I can stop that."

He stared at her. "That's... oh." She nodded. "There was some thought that you wanted to take over."

"No, I don't. I just don't want it destroyed. It's basically the only home I've ever known." He nodded, patting her on the arm. "Though if you think that bad of me, what do the others think?"

"A few were wondering if you were going to change a lot of things to better suit yourself."

"There's very few things I'd like to see changed, and most of them are stupidity done by the board to have us shut down."

"I get that. Have you made sure?" She nodded. "Oh, dear."

"You know, I could also go find my maternal grandmother." Bill stared, mouth open. She stared back. "Mom wasn't rich but that's because she hated Grandma. So did my aunt. She's sent me a letter through my lawyer recently."

"That's weird."

"No, it's troubling. Especially with two snatch attempts in LA that had nothing to do with that family." He stared. She stared back. "Both thankfully handled by the LAPD."

He winced. "Her family?"

"The board."

"So they got into the filing?"

"Possibly."

Gwenny stomped up to them. "Beth, why are you trying to destroy the center?"

"I'm not! I'm trying to protect you guys." Gwenny glared. "They're trying to shut the center, Gwenny. Do you want that?" She shook her head. "Do you want all that political bullshit going on that's caused everyone problems?" She shook her head again. "That's what I'm fixing."

"Oh. We thought...."

Beth held up a hand. "It's a shame that the only real family I've ever had feels that way about me, so fuck you." She stared at her, getting a nod back. "It sucks greatly, Gwenny. You know me much better than that and you still thought it. The same as Bill did." She walked off, going up to her rooms to lock herself in and eat some ice cream. Then she'd do something later. She had tomorrow off anyway to go meet her grandmother at her care facility. This was going to be a long month.

***

Beth sat down in the pointed at seat, nodding at the older lady across from her. "Ma'am."

"You're my granddaughter."

"So I'm told. My mother never told me about you before she died."

"How did she die?"

"Car accident." She smiled at the nurse hovering nearby with a tea pot. "You don't have to wait on us, dear. I can pour tea." The nurse smiled at her and left them to talk. "Want to let it steep a bit more?" she asked, looking into the pot. "It's a weaker green tea."

"Please. I prefer strong flavors these days."

Beth smiled. "The stronger the tea, the more benefits it gives you," she quipped.

The woman stared at her. "Are you in college?"

"I am and also working full time while I train for my fencing competitions."

"You fence?"

"I do. I'm third in the nation right now." She smiled. "I recently moved up due to some politics going on within the federation."

"I see." She blinked. Beth poured her some tea. "A lump of sugar please, dear." She selected a pretty one to drop in carefully, then finished pouring in the tea. "Thank you." Beth handed that cup over then poured her own. "No sugar?"

"I had sugar earlier. I had to nibble pastries for breakfast because I haven't went shopping in a few days. I was out in LA for two days to escort a fellow athlete to an event."

"Oh. That's charming. Why?"

"I'm a handler, that means I do a lot of their paperwork and make arrangements for them. One of my athletes was presenting an award but didn't have anyone to go with him. It's something the athletes can ask the center to help with. Of course, nothing is expected beyond the being the pretty thing on their arm." She took a sip of her tea.

"That's nicer than it sounded then." She looked at her. "I've looked you up." Beth tipped her head, putting the cup down on the saucer after taking another sip. "I saw about that family."

"Thankfully I managed to avoid all that."

"I kicked your mother out for being an easy girl of pleasure."

Beth shrugged. "I had wondered why but I had nothing to do with that. She had been out on her own for three years before I came into being."

"True. No one's sure of your father's identity."

"I am. I've made sure as well."

The older lady stared at her. "You have?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because me doing so will shield some people that are presently being harmed." She stared at her. "People I respect greatly are being harmed. Therefore it's helping."

"I see." She put her cup down again, looking at her. "Are you still eligible for that family to take you?"

"No, though I consider that a fairly nosy question on our first meeting." She stared at her.

The old woman laughed. "You are strong willed."

"Yes, I am. Since the only family I knew I had was my aunt...." Her grandmother glared at her. She stared back. "You knew my mother died and didn't even send flowers to her funeral."

"She was disowned."

"Hmm. Disowned means that you only wanted to vet me to make sure I'm not like my mother. Unfortunately I am very like my mother. I have her strength of will. I have her ambition toward my goals. I have her strength of character and of patience." She smiled. "I'm not exactly like my mother but I'm just as strong as she was."

"She married some inferior boy," the old lady sneered.

"That inferior boy she married was the second son of a shipping company owner and she married him to protect him from his mother trying to kill him." Her grandmother gaped. Beth pulled up that file to show her. "That's on my almost stepfather. His mother ended up killing him six months later to keep him out of the succession of the company's top job." Her grandmother read it over, grimacing. "As far as I could tell, they met in high school."

She handed the phone back. "I see. I had not heard that part."

"Would it have mattered?" Beth asked quietly, staring her down. "You seemed ready to throw her away anyway." Her grandmother sneered. "Even my aunt said that."

"Your aunt has issues."

"Yes she does. I lived with her for five years. I'm well aware of her faults and issues. Then thankfully I got out of that toxic household thanks to doing sports."

The old lady shifted, grimacing. "Women shouldn't really do such things."

"If it's good enough for royal heirs, it's good enough for any woman."

Her grandmother stared at her. "You're obnoxious."

She smiled. "I could have turned softer but Mother was my only female influence." She picked up her tea to sip. "You turn out however you will but a lot of people do turn into their parents."

"Too true." She looked her over. "You're built like your aunt. Is that extra weight healthy for you?"

"I'm not overweight, Grandmother. I'm very muscled, but it's not fat. And yes, the muscles are helpful in my fields."

"Oh." She sneered. "I still think you're too much like your mother."

"I'll gladly take that compliment, ma'am." She put down the cup and stood up. "You have a better day and I hope it answered some of your questions."

"You're leaving?" she demanded.

"You clearly don't want me here. I'm not going to overstay my welcome. I have no outstanding questions about my mother or aunt. Did you want to talk more so you get to know me better? I'm fine with that if you'd like but I don't want to wear out any sort of welcome."

"Sit." Beth sat back down, her purse going beside her feet. "You are not as nice as people say."

Beth stared at her. "Do you think things have happened to make me nice?" She smiled. "I'm self protective. I've learned that need over the years since my mother died. Though, there was a question about my mother's death since the driver of the car was said to be in the employ of your former husband." She stared at her. "Is that why you divorced him?" Her grandmother glared. "It was in the official reports, which are open to anyone. My aunt got a copy for me and made sure I read it then never spoke of it again."

"I did not tell him to do that."

"So he was jealous?"

"He wanted a son, a true heir, and your mother's birth caused damage."

Beth nodded. "I've seen that happen."

"It was his decision and yes, why I divorced him."

Beth smiled. "He's a member of the center where I work and train."

"Is he bothering you?"

"He's on the board and they have bothered me. Otherwise, no idea."

"He's a snake, young lady. I'd watch out for him."

She smiled. "I'm very self protective, Grandmother. There's nothing he can do to me. He realizes that."

"That's good." She sipped her tea. "It does taste better warm."

"Tea is only good ice cold or very hot," she agreed, getting comfortable to sip her tea. They could be civil.

***

Beth showed up at the director's office when she got back, as ordered. She smiled as she walked in, pulling out something to hand to the board member in there. "Because you got into sealed, private court documents before they were released. Also, you'll notice a wrongful death suit since it was your valet that killed my mother, on your order, Grandfather." The man spluttered and choked. She smiled. "Good thing I went looking when people started to act funny around me. Huh?" She smiled at the director. "Was that all I was needed for, Director?"

"You were talking to one of the majority owners of the Center?" he asked patiently.

"Yes, that's my grandmother." The director winced. "You didn't know?"

"I did," he sighed.

"I figured you did because you never said anything to me about swearing." She shrugged. "If they hadn't started on me, I might not have wondered and gone looking. Though I knew about his valet. My aunt made sure I got a copy of the investigation report." She stared at her grandfather. "I'm very like my mother in many ways. Thankfully without my aunt's personality problem as well." She took off her gloves to put into her bag, staring at the director.

"What are your plans?"

"Protecting the center. The same as I've been doing." The director winced. "Though I do wonder why my grandfather told that family that I was just what they were looking for and if he paid them to continue after it looked like a losing proposition."

"No one will believe you," her grandfather sneered.

"DNA doesn't lie unless your name is OJ. As I've never played football, never killed my ex-wife and her lover, and I've already gotten a will made out, it'll be whatever it is. My only concern is that I protect those who have been like a family to me."

"No one will believe anything you say."

"I doubt that."

"That DNA test wasn't ever verified."

"It was. The judge had it reverified twice. Just in case. He has copies of everything, including my mother's death's investigation, and so do a few others who can release it."

"Does Bill?" the director asked quietly.

"No. I kept him out of it to keep him safer. Though I was quite disappointed that he accused me of trying to harm everyone here."

"You get nearly Britishly formal when you're upset," the director said.

"I learned it from my mother. She even got to the clipped accent part when she got mad."

The director nodded. "Can you calm down so we can talk about this?"

"No. Especially not with who they found trying to snatch me in LA." She stood up, picking up her purse. "You guys have a great day. I have to go finish algebra homework."

"We can fire you," the board member said, glaring at her.

She smiled. "That would leave you open to a third lawsuit for unlawful termination, Grandfather. Beyond that, I can find another job. It won't stop me any. I'm just as strong as my mother was." She turned to walk off but the director gasped and Beth felt a sharp pain hit her arm right before a loud 'bang' noise. She gasped, holding it as she turned to stare at him. "Very brave of you to fire on someone when their back's turned. You do remember there's cameras in here?"

"They won't show anything. I'm on the board," he sneered.

"No, actually you're not," Beth said simply. "You really should go to legal hearings, Grandfather." She nodded at the guard in the doorway. "He shot me. Can I be helped down to get an ambulance please?"

"Of course, DeSandra." The head of the guard unit helped her down while the guards arrested the two men. "What happened?" he asked in the elevator.

"That's my grandfather," she said quietly. "He had my mother killed." The man winced. "That's why the board has been trying to hard to get rid of me."

"Because you can inherit the center."

"Yup. Which led to a lot of people thinking I'm a money grubbing ho, but I'm not. I'm going to protect the center, no matter what they think." She sighed as they came out and the police were rushing in. One stopped to stare at her. "The office has cameras."

"We've already pulled the film. She got shot in the shoulder."

"We can get her an ambulance. Do you want to wait in your infirmary?"

"No," Beth said. "It was one of the board members and the director didn't do a damn thing to stop him. All because I let on that I knew the board member was a relative and he had my mother killed." She got helped outside by the guard, who put her into the ambulance himself. "It hurts," she said quietly. "I think it's in the bone."

"It looks like it," the paramedic said, getting them going to the ER. "You're very calm."

"I'm livid and I'm plotting their demise by mythical, almost Hollywood, means."

"Good idea. What happened?"

"My grandfather wasn't happy I noted I was his granddaughter and he had my mother killed."

"Oh, dear."

"It's been a really long day. My grandmother, who I met earlier, divorced him for that. That's all she did."

"Real winners then," the paramedic agreed.

Beth nodded. "Yeah, it is. Thankfully my mother was better." She relaxed, wincing as the wound rubbed. "Ow." The paramedic helped her out of her shirt so they could get to it easier. The hospital was only a few blocks away so they could handle it quickly.

***

Richard stomped into Beth's hospital room. "What the hell?" he demanded.

She smiled slightly. "About which one?"

"You're taking over the center?"

"No. I'm owed fifty-three percent of the stock. We verified who my father was." He made go on motions with his hook. "I'm in here thanks to my grandfather, who is on the board. That's why they started all that shit, and why they got that family onto me. I personally think he paid them to get me out of notice. Can't prove it yet or if he was involved with one of the attempted courthouse shootings."

"Is that why there's rumors you got into a fist fight?"

"No, I slugged the lady that the board hired to annoy all the teenage handlers. She thought I was an uppity slut. And that I was my trainee Amanda."

"You're neither." She smiled at him. "Why are you in here?"

"Because I'm in for observation to make sure the new bullet hole in my shoulder doesn't get infected." He stared, mouth open. She grimaced. "My grandfather is *such* a charming sort."

"Excuse me?" he demanded, glancing outside then at her. She nodded. "When did this happen?"

"Two hours ago. Then I sent messages to everyone that might get hurt to please not come near me for a few days until things settled down as it looked like there was going to be another attack on me and I valued them too much to get them hurt too."

He cleared his throat. "Yeah, the wife got that and got confused."

"Sorry. I tried to make it subtle."

"Don't be sorry. It's not your fault."

"I could have not stepped up but then the center would've been shut by next year and merged with the Woodblinds."

"We'd never stand that."

"Me either."

"Are you good?"

"No. I'm really mad. If I was the crying sort I'd be sobbing but I'm not."

He nodded. "Sometimes it's necessary."

"That means I'm safe and that's not going to happen anytime soon."

"Point." He shifted his stance, looking around the room then at her. "I need to tell Al. He's really pissed off."

"Celia knew. She was nosing around my apartment and found the file of legal paperwork."

"That's going to be a shouting match."

"Yup." She smiled. "It'll all even out soon."

"Are you sure they can't block you?"

"They can, that's always possible. Then again, the one that shot me had better be going to jail. Even if he tries something mealy minded like saying I was trying to blackmail him, the tape in the office would prove I wasn't. I keep all emails, professional and not." She grinned. "Besides, there's no one else to hold those shares. That's why my grandfather filed to have them put into the open for buying."

"This is going to get complicated."

"No it won't." She smiled. "It's just going to be a swamp for a few days to a week. Even if they appeal it, a few of the secrets that have been let out will cause a lot of the board problems. Unfortunately one of the good ones as well. So you really should be safe, Richard."

"They can't hurt me, Beth. My wife would rip them a new one, and if not, my ex is FBI." He smirked. "You need anything?"

"Nah. I'm good. Thanks though."

"Welcome." He left, going to his car to call Al. "There's a huge twisted story that's been going on behind the scenes," he said in greeting. "Celia found the paperwork and knows." He hung up then got out to check his car. No bomb so that was nice. He got back in and went home to talk to his wife and ex-wife. She wasn't going to be happy to be included.
Chapter 19 by CE Dalton
Chapter 19



Beth nodded at her lawyer, then at the two people there to 'negotiate' with her. "Uncle," she said with a nod to one. He grimaced. "Then he shouldn't have tried to force his hand. It showed there was a reason I needed to look into." She sat down, staring at them. "So, why are we here?"

"We think you're stepping into things you can't possibly handle. You haven't graduated college. You haven't even had a boyfriend yet," her uncle said.

"Well, I have been a bit busy," she said dryly. "Though I'll be graduating soon and I do know how the center *should* be run. I've been here since I was fifteen." The other guy winced, looking down. "Also, if he hadn't sicced that family onto me, that would've been really great," she said sarcastically. "It just made me curious about why they'd want me." She leaned on the table. "This is really a classic case of 'if you hadn't started it, I wouldn't have found out'.

"Though I did know who my father was. His ex-wife walked up to me after an event and told me. I had been conceived before he met her. She didn't mind me knowing, but pointed out that coming after his estate was a bad idea. I told her I didn't want it, I only wanted to know who he was. I wasn't a gold digger, I wasn't interested in my siblings beyond getting to know them, and I wasn't going to do anything unless she needed me to. I simply wanted to know and why my mother never told him."

"They were acquainted," her uncle said. "They kept in touch. I believe that's why he had the heart attack."

She nodded. "That doesn't surprise me. Considering how my mother died."

"You knew?" he asked.

"My aunt got me a copy of the police report," she said, pulling it out to put onto the table. "She made sure I read it then never spoke of it again. Though, when I asked my grandmother, she said that's why she divorced him. Pity that's all she did. I would've killed him. I think most mothers would have."

"My wife would've," the other board member said. "Why do you want to take over your father's legacy?"

"To protect the center that's become my family."

"It's losing money."

"That's not our fault. That's mismanagement by the board. The center makes more than enough money to thrive, update, and do all that it wants and needs to do." They shook their heads. She pulled out her laptop, getting into a file. "This is the yearly financial report you put out. Unless that's a lie?" She pointed. "That small dip in profits was made by the board giving itself a raise. Not the upgrades, not the heating and cooling system going out, none of that caused that dip in profits." She pulled up that sheet to show them. "See?"

They looked it over. "That does state that we got a raise that I've never seen," her uncle said.

Beth nodded. "That figures since this is the real spreadsheet for the center." She pulled that up to let them see it.

Her uncle sighed. "That's not good."

"No, it's not. He's messing with my family and I won't have that," she said simply. "All I want is to protect the center and my family. Since it's not likely I'll be having kids anytime soon...."

"Point," her uncle said. "He put that family onto you?" She pulled up emails to show him. "Oh, dear."

"I don't know why they were so hot to get me. Considering they kept up long after it was reasonable there had to be an incentive. Which was where I started to look. Then I ran back into the board, then into my father and mother's deaths. Which then meant I kept looking." She stared at him. Then at the other board member. "So, now we're at a station where we can talk about things like civilized beings before I have to go change the bandage on my arm."

"Why are you bandaged?" the other board member asked.

"Grandfather shot me when I turned to walk away from him. It was so very polite of him."

Her uncle nodded. "This is going to get him arrested."

"I'm hoping he's already in jail for firing on me," she said dryly.

"Me as well but he made bail."

"Pity."

He smiled at her. "I remember your mother."

"As do I. I'm very much like her in the most interesting of ways."

"Yes you are, Beth." He smiled. "She would've done the same thing. Though she was more likely to stab someone with a sword than use it to fence."

"I remember. My aunt's even worse at that."

"I remember her as well." He cleared his throat, looking toward the lawyer. "We don't want a hostile takeover."

"Neither do I," Beth said.

"This would fall underneath that," her uncle said.

She nodded. "I just want to protect the center. All the wacky, weird, frustrated, overworked people that work there and the athletes as well."

The two board members nodded. "We can take that to do an investigation. That will save the center from him."

"That would be great. I tried to have it sent to you and it was ignored."

"It got interrupted."

"Figures." Someone walked in and she pulled her knife, smiling politely at the woman there. "Grandmother."

"Put it away, dear." Beth put the knife back and her grandmother sat beside Beth's lawyer. "Boys, I'm not amused. This has taken me from my not-so-comfortable exile and retirement. It must be handled." They let her have the laptop to see the information. "Oh, that's interesting." She looked down at her granddaughter. "Did you report this?"

"I tried to report that to the board."

"It never made it to us, Madam Ruth," Beth's uncle said.

She patted him on the hand. "It's a pity that my ex-husband is so mentally feeble. He shot at you, Beth?" She nodded. "Are you well?"

"It lodged in my shoulder blade but it was easily cleaned and it's my off-hand so I'm good, Grandmother. Though he has made bail."

"I'm aware of that. He invaded my rest home." She looked at them. "We must not allow this to happen."

"No, we can't," Beth agreed. "I'm not going to let anything harm this center or my family. Including him."

"He's not one to mess with, dear," Grandmother Ruth said.

"Hmm. Neither am I." She smiled. "All that stubbornness that my mother inherited from you has passed on with her own to me."

"It may not be enough," she warned.

"Grandmother, it is enough. It has been enough. It'll stay enough. It's not like I'm uncareful enough to not tell others." Her grandmother glared at her. She stared back. "Including the nice agents that have helped me a number of times. The State Department has been very interested in why I got kidnaped, twice." She smiled. "They don't like it when these things happen. Especially with forged paperwork, forged marriage licenses, attempted judicial misconduct....." She waved a hand around. "They're highly upset with them."

"That's mean," her grandmother said but she was smiling fondly.

"Thank you. I learned from my mother and aunt. Oh, by the way, I've sent copies of everything to my aunt and her new husband."

"She's married?" Grandmother Ruth demanded.

"Yes, he's quite nice. Lawyer, went to Stanford, is the illegitimate son of a senator." Ruth was looking a bit horrified. "Yes, that nice boy you kept her away from? They finally got hitched when he got divorced the last time. So happy. They sent me pictures from their wedding in Malaysia."

"Oh, dear."

"Oh, yes." She smiled. "And my cousin is so happy as well."

"Wonderful," Ruth said, much less enthusiastically. "Are they coming to see me as well?"

"No, I asked Auntie that. She said she'd rather see you burn on that pole you stuck up your nether regions to put it more politely."

"Yes, well, that's fine then." She took a calming breath. "Things really are starting to unravel." She looked at her granddaughter. "Are you interested in that nice Dala chap, dear?"

"No. He's a friend and he still loves Hilda. He's becoming a good friend. He cared quite a lot when I got snatched the last time."

"Hmm. Good. He's not exactly our sort."

Beth stared at her. "I have no such ideals, Grandmother. I don't see a person's race, just how they treat others."

"He's not exactly nice."

"Neither are you. Or my mother."

"Point." She tipped her head. "That is a good point and on his scale I'm slightly more evil."

"He grew up thanks to Hilda."

"Hmm. I just grew meaner."

"Yes, I fear I need someone to make sure I don't," Beth said dryly. "Someday I'll find some."

Her grandmother smiled. "That would be ideal, yes."

"Probably not someone you'd consider a good idea. Perhaps even another athlete. They'd understand training and all that." She looked at her uncle then the other member of the board. "So. What are we doing now?"

"Now, we're going to start an investigation. Then we're going to have to take a vote on your grandfather's continued employment. Then I suppose we'll have the hearing about those stocks," he sighed.

"Wonderful." The door was kicked open and Beth turned, throwing her dagger at the first man though, who was shooting at them. Fortunately the lawyer had hired guards for today. They were coming in behind the bad guys. Then the most charming sound.

"FBI, freeze," a female voice said. One of the men shot at her but she shot him in the stomach. "In case you didn't realize, 'freeze' means stop it."

Beth looked out the door. "Aren't you Richard's ex-wife?"

"I am, Beth. He showed me your picture and told me which agent you probably went to. They were most happy to help me investigate."

"Some of them aren't involved."

"I know." She came in, calling for a paramedic. "Oh, dear." She checked Grandmother Ruth's pulse, nothing. Clean shot through her forehead. Her uncle's as well. The lawyer was injured. The other board member was cowering under the table trying to protect himself. Officers, two more agents, and paramedics came in to handle the issue. Beth got her laptop back after the agents had checked it. "Oh, well, that explains a lot," Richard's ex-wife said with a smile for Beth.

"My grandmother," she said with a point.

"Oh, dear. I'm sorry."

"She threw my mother out for liking her boyfriend too much. There's been more than one faulty thing in this family."

"True." One of the agents looked at Beth then at the grandmother then back at Beth. "All this?"

"Probably my grandfather. Who had my mother killed. Who shot me the other night."

Richard's ex-wife stared at her. "He said that. Are you all right?"

"Very, very mad," Beth said simply.

"Good." She smiled. "Use it."

"I am." She put her laptop back and looked at her lawyer, who had a graze on his shoulder. "Aren't we?"

"We are," he agreed. "I'm adding more damages for this."

"Good." The agent led Beth out to her rental car, having it checked by the PD before she was let into it. Beth drove off, going to her temporary hotel room. The agent went back upstairs. "We have a mess. Just fix it. Before my ex-husband has to show up." One of the agents shuddered. "Yes, that's his handler at the Reed Center. He's back into shooting competitions."

"We'd never want to make Richard come after us again," one of the agents said.

***

Beth smiled at the man pounding on her hotel room door. "Antonio. Didn't I say to not come near me because it could be dangerous for you?"

"Everything is dangerous and Hilda's spitting nails." He stared at her. "That's your grandmother?"

"Was. Grandfather's people shot her earlier." She sipped her drink. "And tried many of us. Is Hilda mad at me?"

"No!" He huffed, staring at her. "Your grandmother's will leaves everything to her two daughters, which means your mother...."

"Miriam is my aunt," she said dryly, making him wince. "Did you think I was really Cynthia? She's in a special school in England. Has a giant brain but little sense like her mother."

"I remember your aunt."

"You remember my mom too. She was the quiet one always reading by her sister to protect her from her weird ideas."

He snapped. "I do remember your mother."

She grinned at him, finishing her drink. "She remembered you too, called you that future playboy when we looked at her school yearbook once. Said you'd never amount to anything but a trophy husband." He burst out laughing. "So yes, she remembered you as well."

"What are you going to do about all this?"

"I've filed to get the proper shares into better hands than my grandfather. I'm going to protect the center."

"Good. We heard about a lot of hell and mayhem coming from an investigation?"

"Someone was fudging the books."

"Great," he muttered.

"The same someone shot at the meeting I was at earlier, killed my grandmother and tried to get me. Drink?"

"No, and you shouldn't either. What if they get in here? It wasn't that hard to find you. No guards...." He flapped a hand around. "You're vulnerable."

"You're cute when you're worried but I'm not that vulnerable, Antonio. There are guards. They called before you got into the elevator." He rolled his eyes. "This is a hotel where agents commonly put their informants."

"I knew that." He stared at her. "You can come inhabit my guest room."

"No, thank you anyway." She patted him on the arm as she walked past him to the bathroom. "I don't want you in danger."

"I won't be. You are."

"Probably not." She grinned. "I'm tougher than I look."

"I realize that but you're not immortal."

"No, I know that. Having something like magic would be handy too if it worked like it did in books. Unfortunately I don't. I do have plans. It'll be okay. I just probably need to find a new job."

"Uh-huh. Shut up. Let's go. That's the alcohol talking."

"Could be. I don't usually drink." She went to the bathroom and came out drying off her hands. "I'll be fine."

"You're not going to be fine. Shut up, pack, and let's go, Beth."

"Fine." She sighed but did pack, including her gun.

"Did Al teach you to shoot?"

"Yup, he sure did." She grinned.

"Uh-huh." He took it from her. "You're slightly drunk." He escorted her out, nodding at the guards glaring his way. "I'm taking her to my house, which has personal security." They nodded, making note of that. He got her into his car, taking her back there the fastest way. She needed to sleep off the liquid courage. He ran into Hilda, who opened her mouth. He shook his head, handing her the bag and the gun. He carried Beth into a guest suite and dropped her onto the bed then came back out to get the bag to put in there. The gun went behind the fridge in the safe box in there. He came back out. "She had some liquid courage in case they showed up again."

"I've seen you do the same thing."

"Um-huh." He sat down on the couch with some water. "That was her grandmother." Hilda shuddered. "Her grandfather tried to kill her, again."

"Charming family."

"I went to school with her aunt. She was just as feisty. I thought she was her aunt's kid but nope, Beth is related to the younger, bookish one." He sipped his water.

"How long did you go to school with her?"

"Six months. Middle school before they jumped my grade and the girls had to move."

"What about her father?"

"He..." He cleared his throat then pulled up the background check he had done on her.

"Ooh!" Hilda looked up at him and he nodded with a smile. "He used to run a company that tried to take us over."

"Right before he died. Everyone thought it was about that. Turns out it probably wasn't."

Hilda handed back the phone. "Now what?"

"Now, her grandfather seriously wants her killed. Her adoptive father tried to sneer about it from what I heard. She just said she needs to probably find another job and she wants to protect the center."

"Doing that will. What about her grandmother?"

"Died earlier. Probably the reason for the liquid courage she had the glassful of."

Hilda considered it. "Can she go back?"

"I'm not sure. I'm wondering if anyone's told Al yet." He found his contact in his phone, sending him a simple text message of 'I'm guarding Beth'. He got one back of 'that's probably a good idea'. "He sounds upset."

Hilda took the phone, walking off calling him. "Al, it's Hilda. Yes, Antonio's ex-wife. No, she was in hiding earlier after her grandfather tried to have her killed and did kill her grandmother."

"Tried to have her killed again," Antonio corrected. "That's who shot her the other night." He went to get some juice then go to his office. Hilda liked to arrange things, she could arrange this too.

Hilda smiled. "Antonio said that should have been tried to kill her again as he shot her the other night." She listened to Al. "Exactly. No, she had something to drink and was passed out by the time he got her back here. She had been at a hotel. No, I don't think anyone's packed her rooms yet. If you wanted to you could. I doubt she'd mind and I doubt she's staying at the center right now since there's so many problems.

"No, it turns out she has the ability to take over the center to protect it from her grandfather. There's been some embezzlement and the like. I don't know, Al. All I know is right now she's resting and safe. We are there, yes. That's fine. I'm sure Antonio wouldn't mind you coming to see your girlfriend. We all think it's sweet." She smiled. "That is us, yes. We'll be here. See you soon." She hung up and brought the phone to him. "Al's coming over to talk to his own girlfriend."

"That's fine. I'll have him let in the gates." He smiled at her. "You think they're going to have a fight?"

"I think he has the right to be mad that she didn't tell him."

"It was probably to protect him. That and a bit of fear considering I heard Bill got onto her for knowing."

"Hmm. Not good of him." She walked off. "I'm going to start dinner. You wanted pasta, right?"

"Sure, if that's what you want to cook, Hilda." He ate a few jellybeans while getting back to the stuff she made him do for the company his mother had started and he supposedly ran under her crushing grip.

***

Al walked in with a rolling suitcase. Hilda smiled, pointing at a doorway. "Thanks, Hilda. Pleasure to meet you."

"Welcome."

"I put her gun in the safe box out here," Antonio told him. "Because she had enough liquid courage to knock her out in the car."

"That's probably a good idea. I'd give you mine but I'm being a good boy."

"Just be a quiet good boy so you don't keep me up," Hilda said with a smile. "Squealing or otherwise."

"She's not a squealer most of the time, unless you're tickling her." He headed for that room, putting her suitcase next to the closet before leaning down to pinch her nose shut. She snorted, blinking up at him. "Hi." He smiled. "I should scream at you."

"I was trying to protect you."

"Bullshit." He was still smiling. "I'm going to rant while you have the hangover."

"I needed it."

"I know why." He sat on the bed, staring at her. "So, all this?"

"All this."

"You own the center?"

"My grandmother owned a lot of the center's stock," she corrected.

"And your grandfather ran the board until they arrested him again."

"Did he get bail again?"

"No."

"Good!"

"Still, you could have told me."

"It would've put you into bigger danger."

He leaned closer. "They could've bombed the center."

"Did someone try?" she demanded, sitting up.

"He had plans for it when they raided his office." She flopped backward, staring at him. "We gotta talk, Bethie."

"I know."

"It's real insulting that you think I can't protect myself."

"I know you can, but you shouldn't have to. Not when it's my nutso family apparently deciding they want to take me out."

"That's for me to decide, not you." He stared at her. "Do you think I wouldn't care? Wouldn't help you?"

"I think you would but it'd kill you. They shot me in the director's office, Al. They could've come after you or Celia, or any of you."

"They could still come because we know you. And if you say you wouldn't have gotten involved with us, you're lying."

"I..."

"Lying." He smirked at her. "Very much lying, Beth."

She huffed. "Maybe. Though I could've made it easier."

"Uh-huh. Keep yapping. It just keeps us from figuring out a strategy to handle this."

"There's a court case."

"There's probably months before it gets held. They can delay it."

"The judge denied it when they tried."

"Okay. So when is the court case?"

"Six weeks."

"So you were going to hide out for six weeks?"

"And doing college stuff. If I forget that they'll probably fire me anyway somehow. So I really do need to find another job. And an apartment. And possibly a new college."

He nodded. "Yes, you probably do until it's settled. Then you're coming back?"

"I hope to. I think it'll be awkward depending on how things work out."

"Probably," he agreed. "Then again we'll at least get things fixed."

"Yes, we will be."

He smirked, leaning over to kiss her. "Still mad at you for trying to protect me."

She smacked him on the cheek. "Yay."

"Try it. Watch me tell Celia."

"I think she already knows. She found the file in my apartment."

"You okay?"

"No."

"You sure?"

"Yup. I showed back up and Bill accused me of basically going for the money." He hugged her. "I wanted you to be safe," she said quietly. "They've been doing all this for years. All those things that used to get onto me when I was younger was them. That family? That was his idea too."

Al winced. "I didn't want to assume but it makes sense. Now what?"

"Now...." She shrugged. "I have a court case to win."

"We, Bethie."

She pulled back to look at him. "It's not safe."

"Neither is sleeping around Celia. She tends to stab people when she's startled awake by cold feet in the middle of the night." She snorted, but went back to hugging him.

He cuddled her close. "That will not happen again. I'm more than capable of protecting the both of us."

"I'm not a helpless bimbo," she said into his shoulder.

"Yet you wanted me to be?"

"No." She looked up. "If they're stupid enough to shoot me in the back in the director's office, I'd have to go to your funeral. That's not going to happen."

He tipped her chin up further. "I doubt it. And they shot you in the office?"

"Yeah, as I turned to walk away. All the director did was gasp."

"Fuck 'em them." He looked her over. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine. It's clean, just a few stitches because it lodged in my shoulder blade."

He looked down the neck of her shirt. "Damn." She nodded, resting her head against his shoulder again. "All right, let's get you to sleep off the liquor then we'll finish this fight tomorrow." She snorted but laid back down. He laid behind her. "Did Celia tell you she knew?"

"I found her reading the file."

"I'm going to kick her butt the next time I see her." He sent her a text message, then put the phone beside hers on the side table. He cuddled her back against him. "Sleep."

"I'm going to. I feel safe with you."

"Good." He kissed her on the back of the head. When Celia's answering text came back he snorted but left it there. He'd get into it with her in person.

***

Antonio woke up and walked out to see who had set off his alarm. "Celia, couldn't you call? It's early."

"It's eight," she said with a smile. "Thank you for protecting Beth for us."

"Uh-huh. Be careful of her shoulder. She's still healing a gunshot wound." He trudged back to bed. "Any of the others had better call first."

"That's fine." She found the guest room and walked in there, taking off her shirt as soon as the door was kicked shut.

Al blinked at her. "I'll beat you in a few hours, when it's not that early."

"It's eight. We're both usually at the center by now." Beth snored. "Did you drug her?"

"Liquor last night."

"Ah. That's reasonable. Bill's looking for her."

"Bill accused her of being a money grubbing ho."

"Then he can keep looking."

"Still mad at you," Al warned.

She smiled. "Make up sex is sometimes the best." Beth quit snoring and flipped over, cuddling up to Al's chest. "Pull you both back. I'll protect this side of her." Al wiggled them back, giving Celia room to rest. Beth pushed back against her but stayed asleep. Al stared at her. "Well?" she asked quietly.

"How long have you known?"

"Many years. She looks like her grandfather."

"Yuck," Beth complained. "At least I'm not cold like him or my grandmother had been."

"True, you're very caring," Celia said, stroking over Beth's side. "We can help you."

She looked back at her. "They're not real bright and he's proven he's not against hiring people to shoot at me. You're not bulletproof either."

Celia kissed her. "No, but we can help you protect yourself." She took another kiss. "Rest. It will be a trying day. Bill was looking for you as well."

"I'm not sure if I want to talk to him or not." She buried her nose in Al's throat again, making him cuddle her. "Any idea which center I want to get a real job at after all this since it's probably going to be uncomfortable for me to go back to the center?"

"No clue," Al admitted. "We'll figure it out, Beth. Maybe it'll just be weird for a few days." He looked at Celia, who shrugged.

"I ignore such odd things and feelings. They're not productive." They snuggled Beth between them, helping her stay calm for now.
Chapter 20 by CE Dalton
Chapter 20

Beth stepped back into the center with her lawyer behind her, nodding at the head of the security team. "We're going to the director's office," she told them. "Because he's no longer in his job." They stared. The lawyer presented the paperwork that showed she was in charge now. The judge had been horrified about her grandfather's problems with reality and machinations against her. Her grandfather was also in jail. He probably wouldn't get to come out at his age. She and the lawyer got escorted up there. She nodded at the secretary. "Hey, Penelope."

"Beth," she said quietly. "He's in a huge temper."

"Because he got caught," she said dryly. "Helping embezzle funds and acting to plot against his own people. Otherwise I wouldn't have had to act." She opened the door. The director stared at her. "So."

He sipped his drink. "I was indebted to him, Beth."

"I realize that. I also realize you tried to stop the embezzlement and failed. I also realize that you probably couldn't have done a huge amount to stop him having me kidnaped, twice." The director winced. "You could have stopped him from shooting at me. That would've been nice." She stared at him. "I used to respect you, Director. I really did. I think it sucks that you broke that. And I know I can't trust you to run this center the way it should be."

"Who am I turning it over to?"

"Sandra."

"She'll hate it."

"Probably but she's got the experience and the business classes." She shifted her stance slightly. "I'm sorry it came down to this, Director Bell. I hope you have a great life and your children don't have to visit you in the cell next to my grandfather." She looked back at her lawyer, and the agents that had followed behind them. Then she looked at him again. He sighed but gathered his personal things, letting the agents take him for questioning. She looked out the door. "Penelope, get Sandra up here please? She's taking over. We need to set up ideas for what needs to be changed so this center's the best it can be for everyone." She nodded, calling that handler's office. Beth took off her gloves and looked at the desk. "Can someone check it? Just in case?" An agent came forward to do that, confiscating files. She looked back at the woman in the doorway. "Sandra."

"Beth." She looked confused. "What's going on? Rumors are really bad about you right now."

"Yeah, well, it's probably slightly justified since I had to handle the threats against me from my grandfather. He didn't want me to inherit the center so all that stuff with that family? Him. All the threats? Him. Shooting me in the shoulder? Him." Sandra winced. "And the judge agreed he was a horrible person so now the center's mine. And yours, Madam Director Shopihiro."

Sandra stared, mouth open. "What?" she demanded. Beth pulled her in to go over the ruling with her so the lawyer could interpret things. The agents informed her of the investigation that had been going on for a while. Apparently the first kidnaping had set off an alarm bell and someone had started to investigate then. Sandra nodded at the end that she'd accept it and called a staff meeting that night. By then, she and Beth had worked out what was a priority to keep the Center working right and what needed to be done long term.

When the meeting came, Sandra walked downstairs with Beth behind her. She walked into the meeting room. "People," she said, getting their attention. "Thanks to someone shooting Beth at a family in the Middle East, the FBI decided to investigate the center." She stared, hands behind her back gripped tightly together because she was nervous. "What they found made some corporate crimes agents *very* happy." Beth came in but leaned against the wall. "Since we know the problems, and someone told Beth why, she decided to fight for all of us. And won." A few sighed in pleasure.

"The center's hers now," one of the trainers said. Beth nodded.

"So now what?" another trainer asked.

"Sandra's our new gentle overlord," Beth quipped. "We've spent all day going over the necessities to keep the Center together and growing. I think Sandra will do a great job as our new director."

Sandra shot her a tense smile then looked at them. "Shocked me nearly into a heart attack." A few smiled at her. "So we'll be going over a few things tonight that are going to change. Including that the old board had been embezzling. The FBI was *super* happy to talk to them and Beth's grandfather about all the harm he caused. I've already put out a notice that we are not closing. Though her grandfather had tried with his spot on the old board. Which the judge dissolved earlier. We have to pick six people to work on that."

"We have about ten stock holders thanks to a stock offering about thirteen years ago," Major Bill said, staring at his adopted daughter. "So now what, Beth?"

"Now, we have a few things to go over. One of them being the graduation requirements. The ones for high school have been kept," she announced.

Sandra nodded. "We all agreed that those were necessary, but the college credits, you are allowed to get credit for working here. I know before the college wasn't allowed to do that. I think that's a crappy thing to do to you guys. I have decided to open hiring to six other programs in the US and one in Canada. One in the UK is on the acceptable list but I don't think we'll get anyone from there at this point. For those in college, good progress toward your degree is now six hours a semester." A few of the junior trainers smiled at her.

"I've also taken note of the things that need to be upgraded. We have a list. I'll get with the groups tomorrow to go over their specific needs." She looked around. "For staff people that aren't trainers, there's a few extra programs we'll accept from as well." The head trainer smiled at that. He had been pushing for that for years. "Our infirmary will be one of the things upgraded. We need at least another nurse and I've been trying to get the old director to hire an osteopath for years. That's on my to-do list for this week as well."

She looked around. "The petty bullshit is going to stop. I won't put up with the slackers. You guys know how I run things and what used to annoy me with the other handlers. That's going to be fixed immediately." She looked at the junior trainers. "Second big things. The pain in the ass in the office that was nagging us to be feminine but not flirty, she's fired. I did that earlier when the agents dragged her out kicking and screaming. Literally. I will accept professional level attire. I don't want you flirty but there's not a lot you can do wearing a skirt, ladies." That got a few smiles.

"We will be opening up hiring to another three handlers. We've needed them for years and we'll now have to replace my spot too. We will not be merging with another center at this time. Especially not the one that's known for their walking STD problem. We are strong enough to stand on our own. We always have been, even when they were stealing from us. As of this moment, things are different and I expect you guys to agree to things. Beth, the last memo you sent out? Made most of us laugh."

"Not like I wanted to walk in on them," she said with a slight shrug. "We all know that most of the rooms in this center have been...christened at least once."

"True. And we don't like it but we're aware it happens. The lock the door policy will stand because I don't want to walk in on it either." Sandra grimaced. "There's been six other rule changes. Mostly of the professional conduct ones. The amount of petty bullshit is now cut down by at least half. All handlers are to have at least four athletes on their desks. There will be no slacking for senior handlers. The bimbo patrol made me work way too many hours doing their work too." She grinned. "Those in the junior corps, you'll be getting extra help if you need it. We'll be evaluating your skills there and we may arrange some athletes for you to have more similar ones. Beth, yours?"

"I'm good with mine. We're on good terms."

"Yes, but I should say something about interpersonal relationships," she said, giving her a pointed look. Beth blushed but ducked her head. "Not that we didn't all take bets and push for it." She looked at them. "We still don't allow interpersonal relationships between us and our athletes. Though if they throw up a fit and want their wives or fiancees I can let that one slide. There's been a number of happy marriages from our people and our trainees." She smiled at Beth, who shook her head quickly. Then she smiled at the others. "I'll have the handbook printed this week with the changes. For right now, act like professionals and like we all should." She grimaced at the junior handlers. "You guys, act like Beth used to as a handler."

"Is Beth going to be a handler?" Major Bill asked her.

"Yes," Beth said with a nod. "The same as I always was. Though I'm moving to an apartment off campus by about a block. I haven't changed anything about myself, Bill. I just had to act because I wasn't going to be used as a disposable pawn. The man, my grandfather," she said, moving forward. "Not only had my mother killed. He had my father killed. He killed my grandmother during a meeting and shot at the other board members."

Sandra patted her on the back. "We all know this has been stressful on you, Beth. You've fought off a number of attacks and had to protect yourself. Or else we all would've been out of a job. For now, the center will hold up. We'll carry on. I'll be putting out announcements of the new changes for the athletes we all work with the day after tomorrow. But know that we are not shutting down for more than repairs in the bigger gyms and putting in some insulation."

"The competition rules?" Bill asked. "Since I know that's a problem that Beth had a lot of fights about."

"It looks good on us and as long as our training doesn't get in the way of our work, I'm not going to say a thing about it," Sandra told him. "Why wouldn't athletes want to train with medal winners?" Bill nodded, relaxing again. "As long as you can do both at the same time I don't have a problem. If you have to drop to part time for competition season I might say something. I won't let you handle anyone in your sports of choice so you don't have a conflict of interest." That got a few nods. "Otherwise, we'd all be doing different things if we weren't super interested in sports." She looked at the other one that could have that problem. "You have a schedule you can arrange for meets." The young one grinned and nodded. "For those on your college teams for scholarships? We'll figure it out." A few more nodded. "Otherwise, go home and relax, people. The hard things are out of the way."

"I hope we can all create the sort of family the center has always been to some of us," Beth said. "And if things need to be worked on, let Sandra know. That's why I made her the director. I just sit on the board."

"Are you coming back to work?" Bill asked.

"I'm going to try but not for another week. I have finals this week." That got a few smiles. "I will say that we may be upgrading the apartments sometime this year. Not sure yet." She looked at Sandra.

"They're tiny," she said. "Not sure about that yet. That's a later step." She looked at the security team. "Needless to say, we're redoing all the passes." They nodded. "We're going over security matters in the morning at nine." The head nodded and smiled. "And we can drive off the reporters again. Because they annoy me." She looked at the others, smiling. "My office is open and I'll be reassigning my athletes this week after talking to them. I called one earlier and got cried on so give me a few days for that. At least I didn't have an overloaded schedule like Maisey does." Maisey grinned at her. "Beth, want to keep your teams?"

"Please. If they want."

"Okay." She looked at them. "Things go back to the right way as of this moment and we'll handle things as they come up. Let me know, people. Go home." She clapped her hands and walked off. Beth followed her so she could go to her new apartment.

Sandra waited to talk to a few people, stopping Bill before he could leave. "You destroyed Beth," she said quietly. "By accusing her of being a gold digging bitch. I would hope your new charge doesn't get that treatment." She stared at him. "The rest of us realized that Beth wasn't in it for gain when we realized what was going on. It's sad her adopted father didn't. And I will expect professional conduct between you two." She walked off.

Bill walked off to go up to his apartment. His current charge was worried but he got her calmed down and handling her homework while he thought about it.

***

Beth walked into her empty new apartment, looking around. All her stuff was able to fit in the smaller bedroom. She desperately needed a couch and a few other things but right now she had to wonder why she had lit candles. She frowned, walking over to look at it. The pillar candle was safely lit. She spotted another one in her bedroom, going that way. Then one in the bathroom with Al reading on the floor in there. She smiled. "Is the electric off?" she teased.

"Nah. Thought you needed less stress." He put the book aside, getting up to help her by pulling down her hair. He kissed her. "You need some stress free times. So a bath?"

"I like baths." She took another kiss. "Help me out of this suit?" He got her out of the business suit then into the water that was running. He added in some scented crystals, sitting beside her to help her relax.

Everything else, they could work out later. When Celia got there.

The End.
This story archived at http://imagine.e-fic.com/viewstory.php?sid=809