Families by Myiaka
Summary: What if there was a valid reason for Xander's parents to drink? What if that reason is also about to come to light. People are not always what they seem and many lives are lived as lies.
Categories: Buffy/Angel Crossovers Characters: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, AU
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 20998 Read: 198075 Published: 2008.08.20 Updated: 2008.11.01
Story Notes:

I dont own any of them... unfortunately.

 

This is AU starting second season of BtVS (in time for the Halloween episode)

 

CSI:NY/NCIS are about a season behind. NY is closer to current.

1. Chapter 1 - Um.... Your What!! by Myiaka

2. Chapter 2 - Let's do Lunch by Myiaka

3. Chapter 3 - Information and Misinformation by Myiaka

4. Chapter 4 - World Turns by Myiaka

Chapter 1 - Um.... Your What!! by Myiaka

Series: Families

Webpage http://myiaka.googlepages.com/familes


Disclaimer – I don't own anyone in BtVS, NCIS, CSI:NY. They all belong

to their rightful people and owners. I am just playing with the

characters in order to get this stupid plot bunny out of my head.


AN: I am messing with the Timeline in BtVS badly. I am putting it starting current.

So that the group is in high school in todays atmosphere (cell phones are norm,

etc). Also expect a lot of OOCness. Since I am messing with the Buffy crew as

well as the NCIS and CSI:NY teams, many things won't go as planned. Also

BtVS will be starting at the begining of 2nd season, while I will keep NCIS and

CSI:NY as close to the current seasons as possible.


AN2: This started with two bunnies that are now trying to merge. The

first was what if there was a reason for Xanders parents to drink; the second is

what if when Buffy and the others weren't upset with Angel offering Xander to Spike, he decided to step back emotionally from them.


Thanks To my wonderful beta Takikioni who had to put up with my lack of punctuation and strange phrasing and tried turning it into normal English. Any mistakes are mine.


Looking around you would think you were in any typical suburb in America, lots of cookie cutter homes with basements, that is if you didn't realize how strange it was for houses built in California to have basements. As you look around the block one house stands out, the yard isn't as green and manicured, the bushes bushier than the neighbors, the entire house had the gentle feel of slight neglect.


In the basement of the house a woman was sorting clothes and mumbling, "I don't know how Xander got so hard on clothes... God my grandfather better never hear him being called Xander, he would throw a fit "The name is Alexander, not Alex, not Al. Alexander." I think grandmother even called him that, then again considering why she married him, it's not like he really liked her. What in the blazes is this?" She holds up a small stake she had taken out of a pair of Xanders pants. "Oh Shit. Xander. Oh hell above and below, when and how did you learn. Shit! Jesse, haven't seen Jesse around lately. Shit. Oh Hell... The new girl he talks about Bethy.. Betty.. no something inane and stupid... Buffy. Oh shit. Tony, need to talk to Tony he needs home now. Shit if Xander found out and they find Xander. Shit."


Pulling the cordless phone out of her pocket she pressed the speed dial number for her husband. "Tony, Jess. I think you really need to come home. I think Jesse may have joined that gang thats running around on PCP." The crash of Anthony Harris Assistant Vice President of Finance falling out of his chair and cursing was heard clearly through the phone. "Yeah, and looks like Xander may have taken up whittling. See an interesting looking piece of wood fell out of his pocket, a nice and pointed piece of wood. Yeah 10 minutes is fine – I will stall him if he comes and tries to leave."


After hanging up and putting the phone back in her pocket she looked at the clothes and steeled her nerves. "Oh Hell, I hate the thought, better start taking a closer look at all his clothes. Is that ichor? Oh hell, it is. Well, at least detergent is better now, won't have to soak it for 3 days in lye, vinegar and soap like we use to have to. Lots of dust... lots and lots of dust, Xander, oh Xander."


Above the door opens and you hear footsteps. "Hey Mom, is it ok if Wills eats over?" Jessica Harris looked at the ceiling yelling back up, "Sure Xander, what were you thinking, chinese or pizza?" Mumbling to herself again, "Willow, forgot about her, wonder how she is mixed up in this. Oh hell."


Just then the phone rang. Jess could hear that Xander had picked it up. "Mom, Uncle Rory on the line, he sounds strange." He called down the stairs. "Thanks Xander!" She then hit talk on her phone "Hey Rory." At his reply of "Hey Jess," they both heard the other line click off, "Tony called, hope you don't mind another for dinner tonight Jess?" "No problem Rory, Xander invited his friend Willow over, so the more the merrier."


Even through the phone Rory could hear the strain and shivers going through Jess's body. "Yeah let me clean up and I will be over." Rory said before hanging up. After looking at more clothes and starting the laundry Jess slowly climbed the stairs. As she climbed up the stairs by the kitchen both Xander and Willow look over at her. She could see the frown forming on Xanders face. She smiled at him slightly and looked over at Willow, her smile widening. "So have you two decided what we are having for dinner?" Willow looked at Xander, who was watching his mother.


Just then Tony came through the door and smiled at everyone. After kissing Jess on the cheek he looked at Xander and smiled, "So have you decided what we are having for dinner?" By this time the look on Xander's face was getting very intense and Willow's was showing confusion. Just as Xander was about to open his mouth, the door opened and Rory walked in smiling. Xander looked closely at them. "Ok whats going on? Dad's home about three hours early at least and Rory is over early. Let alone mom looks like she found out someone is dying. Oh My God, someone is dying!!" Rory looked at Xander sharply. "Yes people are dying but none that we care about. Calm down."


This caused both Xander and Willow to look at Rory. Jess looked over at Willow. "Willow, where are your parents?" Willow got a wild look in her eyes and looked at Xander. Xander looked at his mother then nodded at Willow. "They went to a convention in Baltimore then a circuit of guest lectures around the Mid West." Tony and Rory both shook their heads at that.


Jess just looked at Rory. "Order or takeout?" She asked. "Takeout – Xander and I will grab Subway and come back. Willow does Xander know your selections for sandwiches?" At Willows nod Rory grabbed Xander and headed towards his car.


After Rory and Xander left, Tony headed upstairs to change clothes while Jess sat down to talk with Willow. She could see Willow was in a panic. Jess laughed to herself, 'Wonder what all she's worried about, guess I should give her some advise since her parents are gone.' "So Willow, how long will your parents be gone this time?"


"Oh they are due back around the first of the year!" Willow replied.


"Willow, that is over four months away."


"Yeah, they made sure the bills will be paid and they know I don't throw parties or anything like that." Willow blushed red then blurted out, "They know Xander and I wont do anything so you don't have to worry, it's not even like he thinks of me as a girlfriend so we don't really need to have a talk that."


Jess laughed. "Willow, you have been a sister to Xander since you met. In many ways you are closer than a girlfriend will ever be. I'm hoping you will become a sister of his heart. Just like I am to Danny and Antonio." Jess looked over at Willow, something had been bugging Jess about Xanders' reactions to Willow and now seemed like a good time to figure out what was going on. "Willow, what is going on between you and Xander? Last year you were close friends, this year I see distrust in his eyes when he looks at you, sometimes it's like you betrayed his friendship or something."


Willows face went white and she started shaking her head. " No, I would never, he knows I would never, I mean it's for his best interest, and he doesn't understand, but I would never betray him."


Jess gave Willow a pointed look. "Seems you have many times by that ramble. What is more important than an old friend that has been with you since kindergarten? Is he no longer "cool" to be around? Did you start hanging out withHarmony? Or trying to imitate her?"


Willow went red, then white, while Jess was talking. The look in her eyes was the realization slowly forming. Jess decided that while Willow was thinking it would be a good time to find out more, and Willow may have learned the babble from Xander, but she never learned distraction, which Xander excelled at with the babble so she was actually informative. "Tell me about Buffy. Xander was very hyped about her some last year and this year you could almost hear disgust in his voice."


After listening to Willow babble for a few minutes Jess looked at her. "Do you know how many times you just said "Buffy said" or "Buffy did"? Did you even notice that not once while we were talking did

you say how you felt about Buffy but everything was what Buffy thought and wanted. Maybe you did become Harmony."


With that Jess got up leaving Willow thinking in the kitchen, and met Tony in the living room. He just opens his arms and she slides in.


A few minutes later Rory and Xander returned. Everyone headed into the living room to eat, Willow grabbing sodas from the fridge for her and Xander, plus beers for the adults.


As everyone was about to sit down a small fire breaks out on the coffee table. "Shit Rory control yourself." Jess said and waved her hand causing the flames to go out. Rory took a beer and swallowed a big gulp of it. "Sorry, just.... you know?" He said.


Willow was looking on with interest. "Oh! You do blackmagic too. I'm just learning, isn't it fun?" With that everyone looks at her.


Xander says "Why are you learning BLACK magic?"


"Because its easy and fun. It will help a lot." Willow replied with a bounce.


Jess put down her sandwich and beer down at the table, takeing the sandwich out of Willow's hand before hauling her up and Jess sat down, bringing Willow face down over her knees. A smack is heard quickly after and Jess starts muttering again all the while still spanking Willow. "Of all the stupid reasons, it's easy and fun," the idiot says. How stupid is she, bet she either skipped over the warnings or said something inane like 'I'm stronger willed than that so it wont affect me,' oh how stupid. We are on a well of evil and she is pulling evil to her! Responsibility and accountability, obviously two things her parents never taught her! Then again, how any parent could leave their own child alone for months without an adult or even letting any adult know. If CPS was worth anything in this town they would be in jail for abandonment." Jess ranted before she stopped and let Willow stand up.


Willow looked stunned and fearful. Rory snorted. "So did you read the warnings or skip them entirely?" He asked.


"Um, what warnings?" Willow asked timidly.

Jess looked her in the eye "Lets see your books on magic NOW Willow."


"Jess calm down – your starting to show." Rory warned.


"Shit! Ok. Where is a beer? Need to make it so I can't accidentally cast."


"Why the beer Mom? Uncle did the same thing, reached immediately for a beer after starting the fire?"


"Beer dulls your senses, most liquors do. By keeping the senses dulled and mind slightly off focus so we can't accidentally show our powers. The last thing anyone involved in white magic does, is it on a Hellmouth. The corruption to the soul with each bit of magic performed takes along time to clear out and grows so easily." Jessica replied to her son.


"So your saying doing magic here corrupts the user?"


"Xander, think of the evil here as radiation. Every time someone performs a spell here, even a protection spell, they are opening themselves up to the radiation. As they perform more spells it spreads and soon their thinking is changed and their justifying things that they would never had agreed to before."


"But wouldn't the alcohol make it easier for it to get out?"


"If it was in excess yes, however, since all we are doing is a slight numbing and all our protections are linked to things like my necklace.. The items hold the protection spells on them and if we are "buzzed" we can't call anything." Jess explained, answering Xanders questions calmly.


Willow returned with her backpack and started pulling out books. Tony took the top one and opened it. Xander looked at the books. "G-man let you take those? I thought he had them locked up because he didn't want us near them?"


All the adults eyes looked at Willow. Tony started looking through the book and then at Willow. "I really want to know if this G-man knows you have these? Or did you borrow them without telling him?"


There was something in his voice Xander couldn't decipher, but the look on Willows face he knew well "You stole them didn't you. G-man didn't give you permission to take them."


Willow looked at him like he betrayed her. "He would of but he was busy and I didn't want to bother him."


Tony snorted "I seriously hope he never wanted you to read this book. Why did you take this one Willow?"


"It looked like it had some helpful spells in it!"


"Did he offer you beginning books that may not of had as helpful spells in them?"


"Ms. Calender did but they weren't that useful and they spent a lot of time talking about working slow and lots of meditation. I knew I could do things faster than they were talking about because I'm a good student." Willow stopped babbling at the looks in the adults eyes. The disapproval she saw was something she wasn't familiar with. The only time her parents had looked at her like that she had gotten a B in gym and they let her know she failed them. "I'm still a straight A student. My schoolwork is great."


Rory looked at Willow. "What does your schoolwork have to do with you stealing books on subjects you shouldn't be studying?"


"But I always skip ahead if I know stuff. Mom and Dad said it's the only way to really learn when the classes are below your level."


Xander looked at Willow in puzzlement "Why does your parents keep you in a school that they consider below your level? Aren't there schools you could go to that are at your level? Its not like your coming home to your parents every night, most of the year they are gone."


"I would say its the Hellmouths' influence except they seem to be off it most of the year." Tony muttered while flipping through another of the books Willow had. He then straightened and looked sharply at Willow. "Have you tried any spells from this Grimore?"


Willow looked at the book he was holding up and slowly nodded "Yeah, they have a neat spell on protection circles."


Jess and Rory groaned, Xander looked at his dad with a questioning look. Rory answered his look "It is a book on demon worshiping. The protection circles she is talking about are for when you call a demon to work with, it deals with them only."


Willow started shaking her head. "No it says it's for your protection."


The adults laughed at Willow, she was turning red as she realized that they thought she was foolish.

Tony looked at her "This is the spell you tried right?." Willow looked at the book then nodded. Tony smiled at her. "Then would you please read this paragraph here out loud to all of us?"


Willow took the book and looked down to start reading. "The following protection circle is for the benefit of the caster when starting your demon summoning. Remember to always use the circle to contain the demon until the deal is agreed upon by both sides and finalized. While most lower demons will not harm the caster, once the deal is struck it is always recommended to remember to include that in the deal... But it said it was a protection spell! I ..."


"You thought you were so smart and advanced that you didn't need to read the warnings and descriptions?" Rory interupted. "Why hasn't this Ms. Calender or G-Man watched what you are doing and taught you properly?"


"Who is this G-Man?" Tony asked to a startled Willow knowing she would answer. Xander looked at his father. "The librarian Rupert Giles."


"Ah shit, wonder how they got Ripper back into the fold. He was running wild when we left." Rory exclaimed.


"So he must be that Fluffy's watcher." Jessica said with a smirk.


"Buffy" Willow promptly corrected.


"Thanks Harmony." Jess replied, causing Willow to frown and Xander to smirk.


"Hold it! You know Watchers so you know about the Slayer and how special she is right! So you understand why I need to know this magic." Willow exclaimed happily.


The adults all start laughing. Xander looked at his father and Tony looked backand smirked. "One girl in all the world to fight the darkness. WOW! That girl must be busy and always moving otherwise how would she be able to fight the darkness everywhere. I mean how many demons, vampires, and other beasties are there and you expect one girl is keeping the world safe. Considering they have a life expectancy of a Mayfly?"


Xander smirked "Cannon fodder?" All the adults start nodding their head.


Rory then explained "Yep, thats how the Watchers Council likes them. Notice they use girls who, until this century, were considered property in most of the world and easily removed from homes without problems and no one cared if they were killed. If you use boys, well they were expected to fight in an army or hunt for food. Not to mention boys are more rebellious and would start to fight back, especially against father figures. While girls are known to be more 'daddy's little girls' and try to please them. Thats why most of the Watchers are older men. Nice father figures for the girls." Rory replied.


Willow was frowning "But Giles book said..."


Willow stopped as all the adults started laughing. Jess looked at her. "Yes, and Giles book was written by the Watchers to be handed to the Slayer what did you expect it to say? "Gee, your cannon fodder because we want to control you and make sure you die before you realize what we are up to?" Think about the source Willow."


Tony looked at Xander. "Do you still trust Willow with your secrets?"


"No." Xander replied. "She is a friend but not someone I trust with secrets." Seeing Willows startled expression and start of a hurt look he looked at her coldly. "After all would you trust someone who when a supposed ally handed you to the enemy all they say is 'At least your useful,' especially considering that ally you dislike to begin with and the enemy is a vamp?"


"But Angel said it was just a diversion and he didn't mean it?"


"And the fact he took me in there with his arm around my neck, offered to share me with Spike and then ran leaving me there means nothing to you. Because Buffy said it was ok. Well it wasn't. What I have studied of Vamps that was major, especially since Spike called Angel his Sire."


"And this vampire Angel still lives after offering you to William the Bloody?" Rory asked.


"Why yes, you can find him and the slayer somewhere making out." Xander replied.


"Thats not fair Xander. It was just a diversion." Willow claimed hotly.


Rory looked at Willow with disapproval "No it wasn't. Right now Xander is officially a Sires gift from Angelus to his Childe, William the Bloody. To be used however Spike wants, no matter what it is. Gee and you think nothing is wrong with that, and Ripper didn't go off the deep end on this?"


"Not sure G-Man heard that totally." Xander stated while Willow looked stricken.


"Thats not how it is. Angel said it was a diversion and it meant nothing!" She cried. "And you believe this Angel telling you it was a diversion and meant nothing even though he is a vampire?"


"He has a soul now so he's good!" Again everyone laughed.


"Willow your Jewish correct?" Willow looked startled at the change in topic. "Yeah."


"So according to your logic everyone with a soul is good right?"


"Yeah."


"So Hitler and Nazi's are good?" Willow went white then red. Remembering the stories from her grandfather about loosing his entire family in the holocaust and the anger in her parents and grandparents about some people trying to rewrite history to have had it never happen. The adults looked at each other then Jess smiled and looked at Willow. "Willow, why don't you take your sandwich and head home. We have alot to talk about and you have a lot to think about. And I suggest you actually think for yourself for a change. It seems you have been allowing someone else to think for you lately and have decided to imitate Harmony."


Willow grabbed her sandwich and drink and left almost in a daze. Xander looked at the adults. "Hold up Willow let me walk you home. I will be right back." He said before leaving with Willow.


As they approached Willow's house she looked at Xander. "You really don't trust me anymore do you? Have I really become Harmony? You know I really am doing whats best for you. Buffy said it was ok and..."


Xander held up his hand for her to stop. "No, I don't trust you with important things anymore, why would I. You are Harmony to Buffy's Cordelia. What makes you think you know what's best for me.. I know 'Buffy said' but this is the same Buffy that walks into traps because she can't think for herself. The same Buffy I did CPR on to bring back to life because she walked into the trap and DIED. The same Buffy that danced with me like a slut to get back at Angel and left me humiliated on the dance floor. The same Buffy, that without thinking, went into another trap and got you, Ms Calender, and Cordelia captured by minions. Any of this wringing any bells with you or are you so far gone your really are Harmony now?" With that said, Xander walked away leaving a sobbing Willow behind.



Xander began to rant at his family as he walked back into the house."Ok I feel bad, I was harsh with her and she was crying when I left but I am really sick of their attitudes. Its like because I'm normal I'm worthless. It's not like Buffy can think for herself. Talk about a Princess."


Tony looked at Xander. "Be glad the charms we have on you have you contained."


Xander stopped pacing and looked at him. "Huh?"


Rory laughed. "So we can do magick and drink to not show it, we have our protections done into everyday items so they aren't noticed and you never thought about what this meant for you or why we live here on the hellmouth?"


Xander blushed looking sheepish. "With all the stuff with Willow it didn't register. Sorry. So why are we here? If you know what it is and how dangerous it is why here?"


"Because the Hellmouth is the last place the Watchers Council should be. In the last 1000 years they have never sent a slayer to an active Hellmouth." Rory answered.


Xander looked at Rory, then the others. "So your hiding from the Watchers? Why?"


Jess looked at Xander. "No we are hiding YOU from the Watchers. Why don't you sit down and we will explain it all."


Xander sat down, looked at his sandwich and pushed it aside. "I think I want to hear this on an empty stomach. If your hiding me on the Hellmouth to protect me from Watchers I don't think this will be a nice story."


Tony looked over. "No it isn't a nice story. But it is life and very very real."


Jess took a deep breath "My father, grandfather, and great-grandfather are well known in certain circles in New York, and no, those circles are not the fluffy ones or ones that don't cause the police to watch your every move. When I was 17, my younger sister Margareta found herself one day with this strange man watching her. Well, we are our fathers daughters so she took a gun to him to demand who he worked for. It seems he had started having nightmares about monsters a few weeks before and she had broke a few things by accident."


Xander looked at her in awe "Your sister was a slayer?" Jess looked at him and smiled slightly. "Yeah we found out the old guy was Jeremy Pittsworth, a Watcher. She got the spiel and everything, only Mags knew right away that the Watchers weren't Kosher. She was always good at reading people, where as I was always good at reading their intentions and the more I listened the less I liked. The one girl every generation part had both of us laughing."


At Xanders puzzled look Jess explained. "When one slayer dies another is called, yet the handbook says "One girl in a generation," if that was true there would be a huge gap between slayers since a generation is usually considered 20 years not 20 minutes."


Xander laughed at that one. "So you helped your sister slay? Why did G-man not know about it? He said Buffy was the first one that wasn't raised by the Watchers. How did you know Spike was William the Bloody and Angel was Angelus? Even G-Man ended up looking up Spike because he didn't know who he was."


"While in the case of helping Mags slay we can give him the benefit of the doubt and say he never heard, the other is more worrisome. I guess I'll be paying a visit to G-Man while sober.." Rory answered then looked at Jess nodding.


"So Mags and I brought some friends in on the slaying, Jer was furious with it. "It's suppose to be a secret." Antonio looked at him and said, "Is that so you could have more control over the slayer?" Man did Jer turn red. At that point he realized that he didn't know how to deal with us, and considering who our father was, lets just say Jer had a visit from some people that made the Watchers look like choir boys."


Xander laughed then mumbled, "What is it with choir boys, they seem to be irresistible to priests and everyone wants one."


Tony looked at Xander and laughed "Nice distraction. Giving us a laugh as you felt the tension build."


Xander looked startled. Rory looked at Xander "Did you realize you were doing it or is it so ingrained you don't even realize?" Xander looked sheepishly down and Jess lifted his chin. "Another distraction letting us think what we want without you answering. Very nicely done. Dad would love for you to work for him, with that skill they would never know what was going on. Antonio learned from my Uncle and my Uncle Roberto is the reason even when the cops had the evidence on Dad they couldn't get him, Uncs distractions are a mild mind magic that can cause the person to do what Unc is trying to influence them to do. It has caused many cases to be thrown out."


Tony laughed. "Think the NYPD still has your Uncle on the 'Do not allow into the station or be the DA will beat you bloody' status?"


Jess laughed then another deep cleansing breath, looking right at Xander. "Mags and the rest of us were working for just over a year and then a small oops happened. Mags and Antonio had been going together for a while. Antonio's father was kinda legit, still shady but not into the scene like our families. Then again his family was married into old money. His shit-bag of a dad often drank himself stupid."


"Jess, tangent" Rory stated gently. "Yeah right. Anyway, Mags found out she was something a slayer is never suppose to be. Pregnant. Want to talk about all the badies wanting her, and the watchers. Jer didn't realize when another watcher hit town and told the council. Thats how we met Rory. He had been at headquarters and heard the termination order for Jer's slayer."


"The Council was very upset that Margaret was pregnant. A pregnant slayer isn't as focused and as careless as one without ties. Thats part of the reason they are taken from their families, no ties, no reason to live but the hunt. And that Jeremy hadn't already terminated the child. Lets just say that I was sent to find out what my father was thinking in not either terminating the child or them both." As Rory finished he took a deep swallow of his beer than got up to get more.


"So Rory came and told Jer that the Council knew about Mags being knocked up. Antonio and Mags were talking marriage but the Council got ahold of his father and lets just say Antonio ended up at a Military Academy since he was only 16 about to be 17. They talked his father into threatening to disinherit him if he didn't tow the line. They tried it with father. Lets just say that wasn't fun for the Council, and their strike team met with a few of fathers enforcers. Yeah, pieces mailed back to the Council."


Xander was looking at Jess in awe. "Wow, the Council really are control freaks."


Rory came back into the room with more drinks, handing each adult a beer and Xander a soda before sitting down and starting the next segment of the story. "By this time I had met with everyone and knew the problems they were going to have. Antonio had a good distraction gift as well as the mind magic and a big well of untrained talent that would cause a child to be powerful. If you add in the demonic power from the slayer the child would be very powerful."


Xander frowned looking at Rory. "Demonic power? I thought the slayer was from heavenly power or something like that?"


Rory chuckled. "Think about it Xander. Which is easier, good or evil?"


Xander looked at Rory. "Evil is easier because it doesn't take restraint or conscience."


Rory nodded. "So if your going to empower a weapon your just going to throw away would you take the long route or the quick and dirty route?"


"If I want it to be a good weapon the long route.. Though I can see the call for the quick and dirty one."


"Ahh but your still thinking as someone who cares about the weapon. Remember, I said a throw away weapon that you don't care about."


Xander's face takes a hard look. "You mean they went and put a demon essence in the slayer because they were just going to use her as a tool and throw her away? Why a demonic essence though wouldn't some of the light side want to help?"


"The light side would want care taken with the weapon, they would also care about who the weapon hurts. The dark side would just want the hunt, the kill. Demons are a lot like humans. We have tribes that hate each other and so do demons. There are some demons that will kill anything and everything.  And as we said, until recently girls held no real value so the weapon was created to be destroyed and moved to the next viable girl without a care about it."


"But wouldn't the light side want all demons killed anyway? Aren't all demons soulless and evil?"


Rory shook his head. "Demons are mainly residents of different dimensions. They like humans are good and bad. And nothing is soulless, including vampires."


"But Angel was cursed with a soul?... And as we said a soul doesn't automatically make you good and why would a soul make a person feel they had to repent for something that someone else did... Conscience they gave him a conscience not a soul."


Rory nodded. "Yep. The Researchers who talked with the Gypsies that did the curse, while they call it a soul what it really was is a conscience and guilt. Also like all curses there is an out cause."


"Um... what out clause? Because from what I've read I do NOT want to meet Angelus he sounds like a wacko."


"It was phrased as 'a moment of perfect happiness' what they meant was a moment when both the cursed version and the demon version are both happy. I will say that the researchers were worried about what the demon's state of mind will be like trapped like it is." Jess cleared her throat looking at Rory. "Right more on that later, back to the past." Everyone chuckled at the pun.



"So what happened to Aunt Mags and her child. I never heard of them.... um... your hiding ME from the Watchers!" Xander looked at his 'parents' and his 'uncle.' "So I take it I'm the child that the watchers wanted terminated. And your really my Aunt, Uncle and what is Uncle Rory then?"


Jess looked at Xander."Yes and no. While we may be your Aunt and Uncle by blood, in our heart your our son, just as in Rory's heart your his nephew not the child they wanted him to either kill or bring back and raise himself for their use."


Rory looked at Xander. "The fact that the watchers are here is bad. They wanted you badly. Some of the old ones may still if they know your alive and around. The fact that they are here is not good, the fact the slayer is here is a sign they want her dead."


"Been there, done the CPR to bring her back." The three adults turned and looked sharply at Xander.


"What do you mean 'Did the CPR to bring her back'!"


"Um, last May, she went to the Masters cave and drowned or so and I did CPR and brought her back."


"Did she get bitten as well as drown?"


"I think so, yeah her shoulder had blood from her being bitten."


"Shit... ok think back, was she getting colder when you started the CPR."


"Um she was in water so I thought it was that and I must say it's kinda disconcerting realizing your actually listening to my babble. Most people don't."


Jess looked at Xander. "I grew up with Uncle Roberto and Uncle Rudy. Rudy was a lot like you in the babble part. What people didn't realize is that he was excellent at getting and giving information to those that listened. He listened well and read people better. You do have the tendency to usually use the babble as distraction so people don't realize what your really saying. Now back to this CPR you did."


"Yeah I forced Angel to lead me to the Masters cave and found Buffy face down in some water, turned her over, she wasn't breathing and Deadboy said he doesn't breath so he couldn't so I did. She coughed to clear it then was back and kicking ass. We went and took out the guards while she took the Master out."


"What were you thinking while you did the CPR?"


"Um... I think it was something like 'Live damn it Live'?"


Rory looked at Tony. "San Francisco or LA?"


"LA for now. Jess can set it up so we can meet them there. We can leave in the morning and spend the weekend since its Halloween and it's quiet around here."


"Um... No can do. Snyder is having us lead kids around and I have to be here for that. He really doesn't like me."


"We can leave Saturday morning and take Monday off. Jess contact Lisa and tell her we need a full reading on him."


"If you know about the Hellmouth why does everyone come here for Christmas? I mean ... if it was your families the Watchers would of followed them and Uncle Rory is using Harris when it obviously isn't his name and I have never been attacked in the backyard during the night and everyone is drinking... So is it the group from LA coming here for Christmas and just calling themselves Harris family? And where did Lavelle come from?"


The adults all laughed and Tony looks at Jess. "He sounded just like Rudy that time."


Tony looks at Xander. "Yes the Harris family is actually an old coven from LA, the last time we left to meet them in LA the Watchers were there under an hour after we were. So everyone comes here. Most of them bringing protections for the next year. And yes they are all drunk for the same reason we are. The safety area for the house is larger. Also we need want you to sleep outside on Christmas night because we have worked some magic from afar and it will set the protections for the next year. By being outside it hides you better since your synching with the hellmouth."


Rory piped in. "And that is something no one every really wants to think about doing but we have been doing it to keep you safe. It is also why we have so many protection and cleansing charms on you. We don't want the hellmouth to influence you but we have no choice but to do the synch."


Tony noded. "Harris was the name of one of my bodyguards growing up. We took his first name as our last name when we ran. Lavelle is my mothers maiden name. Who you may actually meet depending on what we find out from Rupert."


"So what is all the names? Uncle Rory is obviously a Pittsworth but what about you guys and what is my real name?"


Rory looked at Xander and with a noticeable English accent "Reginald Michael Pittsworth at your service."


Tony smiled. "Anthony Rodrick Sassone."


Jess grinned. "Jessica Geneva Messer Sassone and my sister was Margereta Francis Messer and your father is Antonio Michael DiNozzo."


Chapter 2 - Let's do Lunch by Myiaka
AN: Thanks again to my beta TakiKiOni who tried to make sure it was understandable... The bunny kept hopping around and I wish he would stop giving me ideas when I'm about to sleep.


** Sunnydale CA **


“Ripper and Rayne. Why am I not surprised that you two are behind this mess.” Rory yelled.


Giles blinked at the man yelling at them. “Pittsworth? I heard you were dead. Oh my, no, Ethan here did the spell I was just making him end it. I am over that phase of my life.”


Rory looked at Giles closely then over at Ethan. “Trying to break them?”


Ethan grimaced as Giles looked clueless. “Yes, I was hoping since I saw his slayer that one of them would give him something to help break them.”


“Jess and Tony can break them. However, thanks to you we have a major issue.” Rory said his anger showing through his tone.


Ethan straightened up and looked back at Rory. “What type of issue?”


“Your overwriting spell broke a bunch of protections we had on Xander. Now the Watchers can find him. We will need your help getting them back in place or helping hide him until we can.” Ethan's eyes got bright upon hearing that and nodded at Rory.


Giles looked at Rory “Why would the Watchers want Xander. I admit he is a nice boy and helpful but not that useful.” Ethan looked at Rory, shaking his head. Rory nodded in understanding, this was not Ripper but a robot programmed by the Watcher's council.


** Outside Washington DC **


“Hey Boss, the guy that found him is a bartender at the dive up the street. He said he left around 2am very drunk. He called him a cab and took his car keys. Already checked and the keys he had were Lt. Williams. The bartender cleaned up and left around 4am and found him as he was driving home. He called it in and told them that he was a Naval officer and then they called us.” Tony said, looking at the dead Lt. in front of him.


Gibbs looked at the car. “Hotwired. He may have done it but still checks for prints we can see if he had someone help him.”


The day had already started with an early call out to a small road a few miles outside of Washington DC. Gibbs kept looking around, his gut felt like he was about to be ambushed again. His gut had saved him many times and it hadn't churned this bad since Jen had sacrificed him. Actually his gut hadn't been that worked up then, this was going to be even worse. Last time was when he found out about Shannon and Kelly, his world had been destroyed.


The ring of a cell phone cut through the quiet. Tony looked at it puzzled, and then answered. “Tony DiNozzo, JESS! What..... Ok. When. What do you need? Ok. Don't worry we will make sure he is safe.”


During the conversation the quiet onlookers noticed a change in Tony’s posture and tone. Gibbs grimaced as his stomach tightened. Ducky looked over at Tony appraisingly. Tony closed his phone with a closed look on his face then reached around his neck and yanked at what looked to be a necklace no one had seen and put it in his pocket. He then opened his phone and started talking. Ziva frowned trying to catch what was being said. When Tony hung up Ziva looked at him “I didn't know you spoke Russian.”


Tony looked at her and smirked. “I know you don't, even though you took lessons four times.”


Ziva frowned at him. “It wasn't in the background I did of you. It should have said something about that.”


Tony looked at Ziva, McGee shivered at the look on Tony's face. He remembered when Tony was in the cell and the strange look on his face then, this was similar and that person was not nice. He looked back at Tony just as he started to speak. “Then again, we all know how good an investigator you are, don't we.”


With that Tony turned and started walking away. “Antonio.”


Tony stopped and looked back at Ducky. “Ducky, right now is not a good time for me to hear an English accent.”


Ducky nodded at that. “Antonio let me help.” Everyone was looking at Ducky. He sounded like he was from Boston not Brittan. Ducky looked around and muttered shaking his head “I have lived in the US for over 25 years, do you think I wouldn't learn a few of accents.”


Tony looked at him, raising an eyebrow. “Both the US Government and the British Government will help your son if you let us.”


Before everyone could process what Ducky had said, they saw Tony's gun pointed at Ducky's head. “You have one minute to explain in such a way I will not kill you.”


“Do you think your family is the only one they have hurt over the years? They are entrenched in some areas of Britain but if we could actually catch them, especially here on ‘foreign’ soil, trying something we could gain a major foothold in their destruction.”


“And I'm supposed to believe you? Why?”


“In 1963, while I was out saving the world from Communism I returned home one time to find that my 10 year old daughter was missing. After being commanded to stop looking by my superior I was more than upset. It took me five years to find her. She was on some little island by the Philippines. I had made enough contacts and we were going to go in and rescue her. As we got there.. Seems there were some Thullach that were living on an island by them. We got there in time to watch her head in and die, and after she fell we watched the Watcher teams sweep in to take care of them. We heard one complaining back to headquarters about how she hadn't even taken out five of them and they had to use Napalm.”


McGee and Palmer both had horrified looks on their faces; Ziva looked at Ducky and sneered while Gibbs looked on. Gibbs felt his stomach clench. “There is no way that is possible. I don't know what game you’re playing Tony by getting Ducky to tell that outlandish tale.”


Tony looked at Ziva like he was examining the best way to take a bug apart. Gibbs felt his gut tumble and realized his world was going to do more than shake. "You know I'm very sick of your attitude David. Though I do have to admit it is interesting seeing how Madame Director has Gibbs balls firmly in her hand. How's your brothers... Oh that’s right they were just caught as spies. That Aunt you were so proud of.. Oops maybe she shouldn't have stepped on that particular toe, it seems to have bitten her - I'm sure she will love retirement – they are letting her live after all, kind of, too bad about loosing all mobility from the neck down, but you know how it is. And daddy dearest.. Oh the dear General, maybe he should have thought before he started banging another Generals’ 12 year old daughter, oh, wait, that’s right - they should be catching him at that right now."


McGee and Palmer were looking at Tony in horror while Ducky was chuckling in mirth. Gibbs winced at the comment about his balls but was trying to let it go, this was not the Tony he knew – this Tony was dangerous and it seemed only he and Ducky realized that.

"While the preferred method of having you sent to work in a whorehouse in Shanghai never being out of a drug haze sounds entertaining – I want you suffering for murdering Kate."


"Tony, Ziva did not kill Kate. Ari did"


"McGee, David here was his handler and researcher. She gave him the information and when we informed her he wasn't following their script she ignored it because he was her brother." Tony sneered. "You think if David's information caused the death of a Marine their squad wouldn't have found a way for her to accidentally walk in front of a bus? And not just Marines but any unit of the US Government would of made sure she was punished, and they definitely wouldn't put up with her on their team... She would have had a fatal accident very early on."


Smirking at Ziva again Tony looks at Ducky and coldly stated, “If I find out you caused my son harm in any way, you will find your mothers dogs strung up around her house by her and your sons intestines am I clear.”


Then he turned around and started to head off. Ducky nodded and starts to follow. McGee, Palmer and David look at Gibbs. He watched as Tony and Ducky get into a car that arrives to pick them up and shook his head. He looked back at what was left of his team and shuddered. “Oh god, he left me with the idiots.” Gibbs moaned.


** New York.**


In a dirty alley in the middle of New York Mac Taylor was looking at a young couple that had been beaten to death. Listening for one of his subordinates’ voices that he had called in and getting angry at how long it was taking for him to get here. Mac turned and glared as he heard the voice he was waiting for. “You’re late.”


Danny Messer looked over at his boss. “You called me less than an hour ago and I live over 45 minutes away in traffic to here. I just worked a quad and haven't slept in over 36 hours. Officially I am too tired to drive so that required me getting a ride in.”


Mac huffed and turned away from Danny and started stating what information they had until he was cut off by a ringing of Danny's cell phone. Don looked over as Danny answered it. “Messer. Tony? What.. Fuck it. When. Ok Antonio, we’ll do conference call when he's available. Timothy will pick me up so we will all be there for it.”


As Danny talked they saw a change in him. He closed his phone, his hand grabbing at a necklace under his obvious one and yanked it off. He then put that necklace in his pocket and looked at Mac. “Sorry Mac but I am needed for a family emergency.”


Mac growled. “We have a scene Danny if you leave expect to be suspended.”


A new look came over Danny's face. He stood taller and took his glasses off, as if by magic they watched the color of his eyes change to a deeper blue, his face becoming more severe and refined. “No Mac you will not. I just worked a quad shift and by city mandate I now have two days off. Before you try saying anything else, I also have my time reports from the last few months that show I have worked more hours than any other Level 2 or even a Level 3 tech in the lab. Since I am officially a Level 2 and you like to keep me that way, I should be under hours from your only Level 3 in the lab. However, you have not pulled her in for this even though she only worked a single yesterday. That fact makes a nice discrimination lawsuit.”


“Danny we have a scene and your behavior is unbecoming. Is this what you learned at home?” Mac asked, disgust riddling his voice.


“I have told you repeatedly I am nothing like my father or my brother and you never seem to comprehend that simple fact. Why would I want to be like my father, Grandfather is ashamed of him because he is so weak he can't be anything higher than a small time thug. My brother was a follower of Sonny Sassone. The Messer family has controlled New York since before it was called New York, we do not 'follow' losers like Sonny. Hell he's still called Sonny because he hasn't earned the right to be called by his adult name. I will let you have a thrill Taylor. Next time you see Richard.. You know Sonny, tell him Anthony and Antonio are both coming home. He better start running, Anthony already said he is a disgrace to the family and Antonio ...” He laughed silently. “Lets just say Grandfather is hoping to calm Antonio down before he brings down more than the Mossad. He will be busy for a while but once his son is safe. Antonio is ...”


Chuckling, Danny turned and walks away leaving Mac and Don staring after him. They watched as a black Lamborghini pulled up and one door slid open, Mac looked at the driver in surprise, he looked familiar. As Danny got into the car he heard Don muttering. “Ok that was definitely not Danny. His statement about the Messer's... If his grandfather considers his father a small time thug what the hell is the rest of the family like? Mac, you look...”


Mac shook himself. “Sorry, between Danny's words and the fact that the driver looked like the CSI that was shot in Miami a couple years ago.”


“Relative?” Don asked.


“Normally I would say probably, however, that Danny and his reactions felt more normal to me and for the first time since I met him I felt like I saw a glimpse of the real Danny and not a mask.”


“Mac, that Danny…”


“Yeah, that Danny is more why the Messer name is feared for more than his brother Vinnie. The most worrisome part is I still think we saw the nicer side of him.”


Don looked at Mac and grimaced. He would be talking with his dad tonight. His dad hated the Messer family because of their history of being thugs; Danny was showing everyone a different side of the family with his work as a CSI. However, with Danny's comments, now he was to wonder just how bad the family was if Paul Messer was considered a ‘small time thug’. “Mac, I just remembered, there was talk when I was young about the Messer's. One that wasn't even allowed to come near the station. Rodrick ... or Robert ... Messer, something like that. They said that he had away of making people do things. Don't remember all of it. Guess Dad and I will be having a very long talk soon.”

 


In a dark car speeding through the streets of Manhattan the driver grinned over at his passenger. “Enjoyed that didn't you? How long have you wanted to do that?”



“Years, and the reason you made sure he saw you?” Danny said, amused.


A snort was heard in the car. “Have you heard the shit that Caine is allowing to happen and is actually involved in? It is a disgrace. My contact down there has checked repeatedly and can't find where he was substituted, or when.”


A quiet laugh was heard from the passenger side. “Lots of techs are wondering what’s in the water down there. The courts still convict people and that lab is totally disgraced, lots of comments about how there must be drugs or something in all the water.”


“So you back yet or not?”


“Getting there. Dial Grandfather Alexander.”


** Conference Room in very remote and secure location **


The older gentleman sitting behind the desk was watching the representative of Wolfram and Hart. The phone rang and he hit the speaker button. “Daniel is on the line, he just heard from Antonio.”


“Let me finish this and then put it through.”


The older gentleman smiled and looked at one of the other men in the room raising an eyebrow the other man nodded. “He currently is wearing three charms to circumvent our security. Also, an additional two charms to try and drop viewing portals every few feet have been added. That is not counting the five others he is wearing as well as the body painting that is suppose to guard him from being read.”


The older gentleman nodded and then looked over at another man sitting nearby. “The charms were given to him by the head of the New York office. The main conversations seem to deal with how this will allow them free access into our businesses and prove their superiority.”


The representative was staring in horror at the gentleman. Said gentlemen turned to him and smiled, the smile was scarier than anything he had ever seen before. “So, interesting pawn you may be, however, your bosses obviously forgotten that I don't play the same games they do. They bore me.” Nodding at a third man. “I am displeased with their services. Go to Blackthorn and take ten members families and sell them to the slavers in the Varrackak world. Make sure they understand that this is in reaction to Wolfram & Hart's New York branch trying to mess with the Messer’s'. They have obviously forgotten that we were called Messer for the mess of people’s lives we make when they irritate us.” He looks over at one of the men again. “Roberto.”


“Just a second, finding the last item.”


“That is fine.” The older man relaxed back into his chair smirking at the representative.


“Have it Alexander. The head of the New York Branch only care about his wife is that she can never get what he considers his, like his Mistress, Martha Glarch – who would be a lovely gift for Aschalla Bvacka of the Charran Coalition. His money is mainly in accounts that are as we speak now disappearing in other countries. He has two paintings that are very nice – original Monet's, I'm sure the wife will love them. Then there are the three estates in the US and four others around the world he wants to make sure she never finds. Oh and two emerald mines and an opal mine that he purposely put into Martha's name. Must make sure the wife gets them.”


Alexander smiled. Two security men appeared behind the representative and grabbed him while a third touched his head with his hand. The man started screaming as his mind was overwritten. He was now theirs, and in no way would ever be able to betray them. The older gentlemen in the room smiled as the guards took him out of the room. Clicking the speaker button. “I take it Antonio and the rest are going to be a conference call, put them through.”


“Grandfather Alexander, I was just called by Jess. My son's protections were broken and the Watchers council just sent a strike team after him.” Tony said, his voice coming in clear into the pocket realm they were in.


“Understood. Go ahead.”


“I have a person here – Dr. Donald Mallard from the UK who states that both the US Government and the British Government want to help with destroying the council.”


Philip had a thoughtful look on his face and started speaking in a language not of Earth so Ducky wouldn't understand. “So the Governments finally want to do something. I am glad everything has broken, I was getting tired of them being there and the family not together. Did he say why they have not acted before?”


Tony replied in the same language. “From our readings of him and those he talked about it seems it is only within the last 10 years the movement has started gaining strength against them. He commented about catching them on foreign soil so they could really go after them.”


In the back of the car driving them through New York after their private flight up, Ducky looked at Tony while he was talking. “Different language, not one I have heard before and I have heard most of the ones on Earth. Also very careful never to use words I could recognize. So why was he hidden and why are you allowing us to help...” Ducky stated quietly as Tony quit talking. Tony looked at Ducky and raised an eyebrow. “So the Governments would do it. Make it look like we were actually handling our own mess but why.. Ahh, so it could never be construed as an act against Britain herself. The Watchers would have quickly turned any action against themselves into terrorism against Britain, but if both the US and British governments are involved in the deconstruction of the Watchers, your hands stay unnoticed. Brilliant strategy.”


Chuckling is heard and a the voice that earlier had spoken in the other language sounded out. “Very good Dr. Mallard. Very good, but then again, considering your past, it is not surprising you know how to think.” Ducky blushed. Almost as if a switch was flipped, he sees the look leave Tony's face.


“They should be arriving here soon; they are laying a false trail. Probably around 12:30.”


“The rest of the family is on their way in. We should all be here by then. Doctor Mallard’s contacts can be notified by then and we can start the next step.”


** Abandoned Building New York


As the clock was approaching 12:15, a shimmer started to appear in an old abandoned building. Many people were gathered around and weapons were readied as a doorway appeared and forms started to appear to walk through the doorway of light. As they finished forming both groups were warily watching each other. Then Alexander's stern voice was heard clearly through the room. “Pittsworth, why is my great-grandson connected to the Hellmouth?”


Jess straightened up, shaking herself and putting her hand on Xanders shoulder, bringing him forward. “Grandfather I would like to introduce you to Margareta and Antonio's son, Alexander Lavelle Harris DiNozzo.”


During the introduction Xander quietly looked at the older man. “Xander?” Watching his head rise and eyes glow. “Alexander.. Xander is..”


Xander looked at him. “A nickname used until adulthood is proven correct?”


Jess smiled and the rest of the family looked at Xander and nodded in approval. Alexander looked around and smiled at everyone. “Come, let us eat lunch and let the US and UK Governments start the destruction of the Watchers Council.”



Chapter 3 - Information and Misinformation by Myiaka

AN: Thanks again to my beta TakiKiOni who is trying very hard to make me clean up my writing. Any mistakes are of course mine – she cant be expected to find everything. Also sorry for the delay but the bunny decided to jump over to another story then went to sleep.


Mac looked out the windows in his office. It had been close to eight hours ago that Danny Messer turned his world on end, when he got back he had asked HR to pull the timesheets for all his people, including him, and the report was sitting on his desk. Every time he looked at it, it said the same thing, and he didn't like what it at all. 'When did I become one of the bastard CO's that we hated because they played obvious favorites?' Unfortunately the facts didn't lie and he really wish they did. 'Did I keep Danny here that much because I hated him or to keep him under eye? I can't believe I left on vacation to England with Peyton without checking on my people first. Danny and Adam had been beaten. Especially Danny, and I left without thought about their conditions.. I come back and don't let him stop working.' Mac gazed out the window some more, he heard a quiet knock on his door turning to look he saw Stella with a puzzled look on her face “Whats up Mac, you have been quiet all day and you look like you were blindsided.”


Mac laughed “Oh I was blindsided, close the door.” As she closed the door he held up the timesheets then passed them to her. She looked at them quickly then slowed and looked again “Mac, this shouldn't be, Danny's been here more than everyone but you, and you have pretty much been living here.”


Mac snorted “Yeah, that was part one of the blindsiding I got today. Remember me calling you in to the double homicide this morning. The reason you were called so late is because I called Danny first.”


Stella looked over at Mac “Didn't he just work a quad, why did you call him?” Mac raised his eyebrow and grinned at her, Stella smirked “Ahh”


“Yeah, I complained about how long it took him to get there and he smarted back with the fact that legally he couldn't drive due to the quad he pulled.” Stella nodded then stated “The rules state he can't. He had to have patrol drive him home because he was too tired to take the subway.”


Mac grimaced “Yeah well lets just say I met Daniel Messer today.”


Stella looked at Mac like he was loosing it “Um Mac, you know Danny, he's been on the team for years.”


Mac grinned at Stella “Yeah I know Danny, I said I met 'Daniel Messer' today.”


Stella still looked confused “But isn't Danny Daniel?”


Mac smiled at her “Oh I can safely say Danny is NOT Daniel. They may look similar but believe me you know when you talk with Daniel vs Danny. Even though they seem to be in the same body, they are completely opposite.”


Stella looked at Mac and smirked humoring him “So was Daniel really different from Danny?”


She saw Mac wave at someone and turned around to watch Don Flack enter the room. Mac looked at Don “Stella wanted to know if Daniel Messer was really different from Danny Messer.”


Don smirked “Oh yeah they are very different. Danny you can play pool with, Daniel would use the pool queue on your family as a lesson to you.”


Stella and Mac looked at Don in surprise, he continued “I talked with dad who sent me to talk to some other people he knows but won't admit to. Like Daniel said he is nothing like his father.” Don exhaled slowly “After doing a lot of talking with people and some of them, lets just say some of the people I met with today...” Don trailed off shaking his head “OK, there are two parts to the Messer family - the real Messers' and the weak, wannabe Messers'. The ones we know of mostly in the Mob are the weak ones.”


Both Mac and Stella look at Don in shock. Stella mutters “Weak!! Messer name has been in the New York Mafia for decades. Hell before the Mob was called the Mob the Messers were involved in everything.”


Don nodded back at them. “Yep and they are the ones that can't make it in the real Family business. Seems the name Messer was originally a Title. You mess with New York and they will mess up your life. It became their last name sometime round 1850. All the different Heads of the Families make sure they follow the main Messer family heads' rules. They are pretty lenient, but if you cross one of the rules its said your family is toast and your life is a mess until you die.”


Mac frowned “So major Mafia family?”


Don shook his head “Nope, only the ones that don't make the cut into the main family get into the Mob . It's considered beneath most of them.”


“What the Hell. No Way Don. There is no way the mob is considered weak! ”


“Yeah, way, Stella. The Main Messer family is considered guardians of New York and most of the East Coast. Remember Mac, I was talking about someone I heard about. Seems when Danny's father was starting out he ran into trouble a few times. The prosecutor tried going after Danny's Grandfather named Alexander. Seemed nothing would stick even though we had all the 'evidence'. Alexander's lawyer would walk into the station and the cases against Alexander would be needed to be thrown out immediately. I found out from Dad his name was Roberto and the DA said that if Roberto had to come back to the station for anything he would use whoever allowed him through the door to drudge the river for the next century.”


Mac raised his eyebrows and Stella opened her mouth a few times before being able to speak “But if they had the evidence the case should of made it through.”


Don smirked again. “Oh, they had evidence, and then Roberto would show up and the cops would start 'explaining' to him how they planted the evidence and every secret they knew. Seems if he looked at a person they spilt their deepest darkest secrets.”


Mac looked at Don “Guardians?”


“Yeah, don't know from what all totally but seems that a few families are tied together and their rules of behavior are very strict. It also explains why Vinnie is Vinnie and what Daniel said about Sonny. By the way Mac I want to go with you when you talk to Sassone. That should be interesting.”


Mac grimaced “Yeah we can head over to see him. In light of everything I forgot about that. And the other person he was talking about ... Antonio... Any idea on him?”


“No, and the comment about destroying part of the Mossad was .. odd. One of the guys I interviewed said that the family in the Mossad being destroyed was due to actions here in the US by one of their agents. Any idea why a Mossad agent would be in the US?”


Mac turned and looked at his desk, then started going through his card file “May actually know someone who can help with that if I can find it. There he is, he is an old Marine. We worked a case with him. Glad I never had him for a Gunny when I was a Lt, he is the epitome of a Marine Gunny Sergent.” Both Stella and Don laughed at that comment. Don looked at Stella “Think it's a case of pot calling kettle black.” Stella looked at Don and nodded “Definitely.” Mac looked at the two of them and they both grinned at him, shaking his head he started dialing the phone.


***


Sitting alone in his section of the bullpen of NCIS headquarters in DC, staring at his computer without really seeing it sat Senior Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs. After Tony's strange behavior this morning they got back to the office for Officer David to call home to verify that Tony was lying. What they had found out 'I knew he wasn't happy but damn that was worthy of some of the old gangster bosses, if not even worse.' As Tony had said, Ziva's family was in ruins and she was to return to Israel immediately.


That started off a day of chaos around the office. 'Didn't even have to tell the SecNav that Ducky and Tony were missing. He already knew and had them classified as on special assignment. Jen trying to fire Tony over leaving and retiring Ducky wasn't smart at all.' With the fall of the David family in Israel it seemed that the Director had been too tightly associated by someone 'probably Tony' and every form of review and audit had hit them. He was still wincing from the chewing out he got from the SecNav about his methods and Morrow proceeding to explain that he was now being watched due to the influence Jen showed and his lack of judgment.


Just than the phone on his desk rang “Gibbs”.


***


Across the country in a High School library the door slammed open with Buffy and Willow walking in talking about the last class. Looking around Willow noticed a figure at the table she had no problem recognizing. “Ethan Rayne” Willow pronounced.


Buffy looked over at Ethan and smirked “this will be fun” then launched herself at him. Before she could move more than a couple feet she was hurled back and hit the far wall. Willow looked at Buffy in shock and Ethan raised an eyebrow and they heard a voice mutter “how stupid is she?”


Coming out of the office was Giles. Willow and Buffy both looked at him, then looked again. Gone was the librarian and now he just looked like everyone else in jeans and a shirt.


“Um Giles, thats Ethan, remember the guy that did the costumes last night.”


“Why, yes Willow, I know that is Ethan and I know he did the costumes last night. Any other obvious facts you want to state to make a further fool of yourself over, hmm?”


Willow turned red and started gapping like a fish. All of a sudden a blond blur pasts her heading for Ethan, then flies right back into the wall. Giles moves over to the now standing Ethan and comes up behind him putting his arm over one shoulder and his chin on Ethans' other shoulder wrapping an arm around Ethans' waist, smirking at Buffy “That was your last free shot, the next time you try something that stupid I will make sure your lesson is very painful. Comprehend? Oh I'm sorry but is that word too big for your limited Southern Cal ditsy brain? It means do you get it.”


Giles then turns his gaze to Willow, Willow starts to visually wilt under the scrutiny. “It has been brought to my attention that your a little light fingered my dear. I expect all my books back within an hour or you will find out what happens to thieves. Comprehend.”


Willow nods and runs for the door “They are in my bag in my locker I will be right back with them.”


“Willow, I mean all of them. That includes the seven you have on the bookshelf in your room, the two you left at Buffy's the four that you have stuffed in a box under your bed, the eight you have in your locker and the four in the spare locker you use.”


Willow paled further. Buffy looks over at Giles “Don't worry Giles we will find a way of freeing you. If we even have to call in the Watchers.”


Giles laughs “Buffy, don't you think the reason I'm like this is that I am free? And as for calling in the Watchers, thats going to be very hard. Since The Watchers Council just committed an act of war and terrorism in the US this am, Brittan has declared them traitors.” Looking over at Willow “The clock is ticking and your still standing there – each minute your late you will regret it. I advise you to take the idiot with you and we will discuss things when you get back.” Both girls continue looking at Giles with shocked expressions. He sighs “Move your asses or I will start flinging fireballs after you – NOW GET.”


As they ran out the door they heard Ethan comment “My a lot of pent up anger there, hmmm Ripper.”


“Are you suggesting relieving that anger before they are back?”


Both stopped and turned around briefly to see Giles attack Ethan dragging him into a kiss with his hands roaming the other mans body. Lifting his head slightly he said. “Tick Tick Tick.” A fireball flew towards the girls and the library door.


An hour later walking toward the school Willow was starting to worry as Buffy meandered there “We shouldn't have stopped at Angels, we are running late. It has been an hour.”


“Chill Wills. It's not like he could do anything to you from there and Angel will help free Giles from Ethan.”


Willow nodded then started to whimper then cried out in pain. Buffy looked around trying to find the source, not seeing anything she bent over the curled up girl. “Whats wrong Wills?”


“My hands, my hands feel like they are on fire. Ohh put them out!!”


Nodding Buffy picked Willow up and rushed toward the school. Reaching the library yelled “Giles we have a problem.” as she burst through the door.


Giles looked over at her and said “And what would that be?”


“Willow says her hands feel like they are on fire. What do I need to slay?”


Giles smirked “You need to slay the thing your carrying.”


Buffy looked at Giles “But I am carrying Willow. Do you mean this isn't Willow?”


Ethan and Giles both snorted and you hear a cough from above “Giles can I please come down from the ceiling now. I promise I wont attempt to attack either of you again or even breathe if you say not to.”


Looking up Buffy dropped Willow with a scream “Angel!” There, on the ceiling, wrapped in chains with crosses inches from the body in every direction hung Angel. There were burn marks on him from where he had touched the crosses, his hair had been sheared and his clothes shredded.


“Ohh my hands.. they burn”


Giles waved his hand “Ahhummm” Willow looked at him “I see you do not have all the books with you. I will give you 3 minutes to get the rest. I suggest you run fast.” Willow ran out the door.


“Giles you have to get Angel down do you see what Ethan has done.”


Both Ethan and Giles looked at the girl “So in your tiny little mind it is all right for him to come in here and try to attack Ethan, but if Ethan defends himself Ethan is in the wrong?”


Buffy looked at Giles with a searching look “He is trying to get you free.”


Ethan looked at Buffy “I see, and in your mind him handing a friend of yours over to another vampire as a Sire's Gift is as easily justified. I wonder what you would think if you were the one handed over?”


“But it was just a distraction, he needed to make Spike believe him.”


Giles looked up pointedly. Angel cringed then replied “There is no pretense with a Sire's Gift. I gave Xander to Spike as a gift. In vampire custom Xander now belongs to Spike and he can do with him what he wants and I have no say in the matter.” Buffy stood there staring up at Angel as Willow ran back in carrying two bags full of books.


The library door opened and older couple walked in followed by two men in suits “Mom, Dad? I thought you were in the Midwest for the next few months?”


The man snorted and the woman huffed “We were giving a talk at Chicago University when someone stood up and asked how anyone would believe that we understood how to be good parents considering we have left our child alone for over two months and there is another four months of our tour. The person then asked if the name 'Red Wisp' meant anything to us. Of course we both remembered Ira's mother calling you that and said so. Wonder at our surprise when it was asked if we knew 'Red Wisp' is the nickname of a hacker on seven of the FBI watch lists.”


Willow whimpered, as one of the suits stepped forward “Ms. Rosenburg, if you will come with us we have some questions I'm sure you will answer. By the way, as we speak a team is going through your home computer. You did startled them when you came rushing in to get the books earlier, though it did give us more insights into your patterns.” With that Willow was led out of the library by the agents with her parents following looking broken.


“Excuse Me, What will be happening with Willow now.” Giles asked politely as they got next to the door.


The first agent turned around and looked at Giles “Mr & Mrs Rosenburg are facing child neglect, endangerment and abandonment charges, Ms. Rosenburg will facing multiple charges of theft, espionage and hacking, as well as several Cyber Terrorist charges for some of her stunts. While she is under 18 many of the charges will carry the adult penalty. If you want I can keep you informed Mr Giles.”


Giles nodded “Thank you, I would like that very much.” With that they left the library.


Buffy was looking at the door in shock “God what is wrong with today, everything is weird, next thing will be Xander coming in here with powers.”


Giles and Ethan laughed. Angel decided to try again “Giles, please?”


Giles looked at Ethan and then smiled “Oh just shut up Angel, you will be let down when your children get here.” Giles and Ethan both smirked when Angel shuddered then screamed as he touched a couple of the crosses.



Across town Mayor Wilkins entered his office to find a teenager in there. Raising an eyebrow and smiled politely. “Mr. Harris, my secretary didn't inform me that you were waiting.”


Xander smirked “Your secretary is having a bad day and isn't herself right now.”


Mayor Wilkins moved to behind his desk “Gosh, that doesn't sound good. I hope the poor dear is OK. And none of those nasty germs are around the office.”


Xander looked over at the Mayor “Is the flu epidemic when you decided to make the deal?”


The mayors face hardened “What do you want Mr. Harris? Shouldn't you be in the library preparing for tonights patrol.”


Xander chuckled “Ahh, Mr. Mayor you just proved my point excellently.”


“There has been no point to this conversation so far so it is impossible for me to have proved anything.”


“Ah, but you know about patrol and who all is doing it and why. But thats the past and the future is what we look forwards too.”


“And what future is that? I somehow do not think our ideas of the future are going to match.”


“You would be surprised.” Xander than placed a small cube on the mayors desk.


The mayor laughed “ you do not honestly expect me to open that? I wasn't born yesterday.”

 

“You weren't born in the last century, and no I don't expect you to open it.” With that a light came out of the cube and flooded the room. Xander stared at the mayor as the light went from canvasing the room to highlighting the mayor. “There is nothing I expect you to do at this point but to pay for all the deaths you orchestrated over the last century in your deal.”


After the light show was over Xander picked up the box and left the room. As he was closing the door and turning to leave he looked over at the Assistant Mayor “Your in charge now, the Mayor has been working too hard and all that work has caught up with him. He is taking a long rest.” The Assistant Mayor shuddered at the look on Xanders' face then nodded his head.



The doors to the library swung open and in stepped Spike grabbing the attention of everyone in the room. “Spike!!” Buffy yelped as she started to rush towards the door, then immediately started flying backwards into the wall again. “Yes, she IS that stupid.” Muttered Ethan.


Giles looked over at Buffy “Which part of we are waiting for Angels children escaped your tiny brain?”


Buffy looked at Giles “But thats Spike.”


“Yes it is, funny now you want to attack but you thought nothing of handing Xander over to him.”


“But, but, that didn't count.”


“The ugly light doesn't want to look in a mirror. The light is changing and no longer as bright and the mirror shows the truth. The dark kittens mittens have come off and all that have hurt him will bare the scars from his claws.”


Everyone turned to look at the dark haired woman standing next to Spike. Angel groaned “Drusilla”


“Daddy. I can't hug you while you are on the ceiling. Your not daddy your that nasty soul.”


“It's a good look for the poofter.” Spike drawled out then smirked at the room. “We were invited to good guy center for a reason.”


“Yes come in and have a seat – Buffy you will be let down off the wall as long as you don't try anything again, same with you Angel. We will await Xander now.”


Buffy looked at Giles and he could tell she wanted to say something but she just nodded her head.


Within a few minutes everyone was seated around one of the main tables in the library. The doors to the library opened again and Xander came in pulling a rolling ice chest.


Buffy jumped up “Xander what is the meaning of this.”


Xander looked over at Buffy, the look on his face caused her blood to freeze, Spike and Dru smiled at the look. “The meaning of this is because of your betrayal and Deadboys actions I am now a Sire's Gift to Spike. And since I do not wish to be a Pet I will be taking care of that. And since you approved of the action and your actual words were 'at least you were useful' you violated the slayer code and willingly betrayed a friend.”


Xander than turned to Spike “Spike, it is my understanding that you are back on the Hellmouth for the reason of finding a cure for Dru. Is that correct.”


Spike looked at Xander, Xander could see the thoughts going through his mind of whether to play this up or do it the easy way. Drusilla poked him and hissed shaking her head “Kitten isn't playing.”


Spike then nodded “Yes, we are back on the Hellmouth to try and find a cure for what the people in Prague did to Drusilla.”


Xander nodded “Angel you are again at fault for not properly teaching your Childre the basics.”


Angel looked at Xander “What are you talking about, I taught my Childre the basics. How to feed, how to hunt, how to obey their sire.”


Xander frowned shaking his head “But not the best ways to heal, not how to feed without killing, how to avoid notice and not where safe havens are that help vampires find food and jobs. No matter that is not why we are here today.”


Xander returned looking at Spike “As the Gift from your Sire I offer in exchange for myself the cure for Drusilla and the introduction to a vampire that can teach you what your sire should of.”


Spike looked at Drusilla, she stared off to the side “the stars sing of knowledge we don't have, of how they could speak more clearly with the understanding of the unknown. How no NO .. Spike take the knowledge, otherwise the pointy wires in your head, sun burning from within. NO... Spike”


“Concentrate on the air Drusilla, breathe in and out slowly, concentrate and allow yourself to return threw your breathe.”


Everyone in the room but Spike and Drusilla look at Xander when he said that. Xander paid them no attention “can you feel your flesh, your bones, can you feel yourself.”


Drusilla was noticeably calming down Spike looked at Xander and nodded in thanks. Before saying formally “I William the Bloody, the turned Childe of Drusilla, the trained Childe of Angelus do accept the offer of healing and knowledge instead of the body and soul of Alexander Lavelle Harris DiNozzo as the Sire's Gift.”


Angel looked up “Thats not his name.”


Spike laughed and Dru replied “The mittens are off. The kitten is free. No longer hiding from the false light.”


Xander smirked “My parents are actually my aunt and uncle. My mother was a slayer from New York. I take it you know the situation some Spike.”


“Haven't been back since I killed the slayer in the '70's. However, do have contacts out there that tell me the interesting news, today heard some very interesting stuff. If your option for knowledge is who I hope it is it will be good. He called me an unknowing childe that's sire needed punished when we met in the 70's.”


“Dark and powerful, great-grandsire was never that strong. The stars sing of his powers.”


Xander smiled then bent down and took two blood packets out of the cooler, throwing them at Angel. “Drink those now. If you refuse I wont be asking nicely again, though I think Spike, Dru and I will enjoy it more if your uncooperative.”


Angel looked at the Human blood packs, he looked at Giles and saw curiosity but no help there. He looked at Buffy and began to hope until he looked at Xander and saw his dusting in Xanders eyes. The eyes showed that Xander wanted Angel and Buffy to try something so he could react. Angel then quickly opened the bag and started drinking, he could feel Buffy's surprise but knew that for both of them cooperation was imperative.


After Angel finished the second bag Xander collected the empties and addressed the room “and the sire should of taught his childre that in cases where a vampire is extremely injured there is one sure cure that can help. Sire's blood. While Slayers blood is a distant second with its enhanced demonic properties.”


Buffy and Giles both started at that and Giles looked at Xander “Demonic?”


“Yes, the original watchers that created the slayer line did so by harnessing a demon essence inside the young girl. A lot of spells and protections were placed over the first few centuries before they got the line to react exactly how they wanted and could control it the way they wanted. However, the essence inside the slayer is demonic.”


Buffy was furious “How dare you say the slayer essence is demonic. I am for the good of humanity.”


Xander laughed “No, you are canon fodder. And I can state the essence is demonic because I know the true facts around the slayer line not the fiction the watchers have been feeding everyone.”


“Giles, tell him he is wrong. I am not cannon fodder. I am the only thing keeping demons from invading the Earth.” Buffy glared at Giles, noticing his lack of instant support “Giles!”


Giles straightened his shoulders “The slayer is not the only line of defense, and cannon fodder is a good name for what the watchers have created with the slayer. There is no way for one girl to be the only line of defense for the planet if you think about it logically but I am unaware of where Xander learned the truth.”


Xander smirked “I asked some really old demons about it. They explained all about the village having asked for a boon and granting a favor for the village in a war with another then when payment came due the village created the slayer to fight against the demons they had made the deal with. It was one of the cases that have caused the current hatred between many of the peaceful demon races and humans.”


“You cant believe demons they all lie. The watchers wouldn't do that. They are good guys.”


Ethan shook his head “You really are an idiot aren't you. The watchers are not good guys they are bad guys saying they are good guys. Good guys do not sacrifice children in a war. Good guys do not kill their own for any reason. Good guys do not abuse others. The watchers did all that and much more. The world is not black and white child. And white is not always the best path, for humans cannot survive in pure light, just as humans cannot survive in pure dark.”


“So now that we have that cleared up. Dru you will drink two pints of blood from your sire, Deadboy there, then you will drink one pint from the slayer, then another two pints from Deadboy.” Xander than looked at Angel “And Deadboy we are not talking about taking it from your wrist she will be drinking from above your heart, the slayer she will take from the jugular.”


Buffy yelled “I'm not feeding that bitch and there is no way you can make me!” Angel cringed as he saw Xander's face upon Buffy's words, Dru laughed, Spike looked interested while Giles and Ethan both paled.


“Yes you are! You have betrayed our friendship in thought, word, and deed. One point I considered you a hero, now I consider you a user. If you do not do it willingly I will take the blood from you and since I brought you back to life your life is mine to do with as I please. And I will bleed you dry without hesitation.” With that Xander lifted his hand and Buffy raised off the ground – he got a bowl out of the ice chest and made a slashing motion with his hand. Blood started squirting out of Buffy's neck into the bowl. After the bowl filled with about a pint of blood he waved his hand and closed the gash in Buffy's neck. He then looked at Angel, Angel removed his shirt and waved Dru over. After Dru drank the two pints from Angel you could see her strength starting to return. Xander handed her the bowl with Buffy's blood in it and while she was drinking it threw two more blood packs at Angel. Nodding she handed the bowl back to Xander then looked at Angel while he finished his blood packs. After he was done she drank from him again. During all this Buffy was floating in midair unable to speak looking scared.


Just as Dru was finishing the doors to the library opened again and Principle Snyder walked in. He looked around and sneered “Delinquents and your games. Well what do we have here.”


Xander looked at Snyder “I advise you to leave or you can join the former Mayor in his rest – the choice is yours.” Snyder looked at Xander, then looked again, shuddered and ran from the room.


“Now that the petty distractions are done how are you feeling Dru.”


“I feel stronger than I have in a long time. The blood is delicious and the strength from it is wonderful.”


“Yes another mistake that Angelus made in not training you properly. No childe should leave their Sire for 200 years, and during that time they should be sharing a lot of blood between sire and childe. But in this case I fault the line of Aurelius since none seem to know the basic care of a true childe.”



After the cleanup and Angel and Buffy both ran out of the library Xander looked at Spike then threw Spike and Dru each a blood packet. Only the blood was blue. Spike looked at it and looked at Xander “Mohra demon blood, interesting.”


“That should finish up the healing since Angel's been purposely not feeding correctly. Idiot living on butchers blood versus making a deal with the blood bank.” Spike nodded at being included in the Mohra blood.


“Spike, do you and Dru want to stick around for the upcoming show or leave for NY. And yes he did say he would train you both.”


Giles looked at Xander “Upcoming show?”


“The gypsies and the watchers got the curse wrong. Liam was a womanizer, he liked them young and he really loved deflowering them, and the demon in Angel will really love the Slayer part. So when he pops Buffy's cherry Angelus will be free. The question is should I let him run free or put him under a master immediately to help him heal.”


Dru looked at Xander “Vengeance is a blade without a handle, hard to hold and not get cut. Please, for both Spike and I, put him immediately under a proper master to learn as he should of.”


Xander nodded “I've chosen a different one than the one you and Spike will be at. This way he will not be interfering with your training and confuse the issue since he is your sire.”


After arrangements for Spike and Dru had been made and they left the library Giles looked over at Xander “You seem to be really happy for the first time in years.”


“I feel free and not bogged down, thou Great-Grandfather is still throwing a fit about me being synced with the Hellmouth. He understands why they did it, think he is worried about the influence of it on me and they found they couldn't break the sync. I was in New York and the hellmouth was still acting like I was here above it. Some of the demons the family deals with started to react like they were on the hellmouth. I may never really be free of the hellmouth and always be synced with it, that also begs the question that if something happens to it will something happen to me.”


“Hellmouths may be closed but they will always be – they are gateways to multiple dimensions so even if one of the dimensions link is destroyed it will form another. Actually you being synced with the Hellmouth and away from it may be best for the Hellmouth and you. We can check when you are out of town longer if the activity is less drawing less bad demons and changing others.”


Xander looked thoughtfully at Ethan and smiled. “So you will be sticking around?”


Ethan smirked and Giles frowned “He is.”


Xander grinned “Gonna love the chaos created by the Pedophile and the Necrophiliac?”


Ethan and Giles both started laughing. “Ohh that is good. She will of course go on that stupid 'but he has a soul' rant saying that doesn't make her a necrophiliac. And he will look lost since in his day and age people had no problems with older men taking teenagers.”


“Yeah, she's going to be very upset when I send him away, but he must want to be free. To convince himself that he loves Buffy. The demon really must want to get free.”


Giles looked sharply “He could genuinely love her. I know you are upset with her and her treatment of you is awful but she still has good points.”


“If he genuinely loved her he would do more than mystery guy with tidbits of information then leaving her to figure it out on her own. If he genuinely loved her when I told him that she went to the Masters lair it wouldn't have been 'I'm afraid' it would be him dragging me. He can breathe well enough to talk but all of a sudden he cant breathe for CPR? Double checked on that one and they said vamps can do CPR. No he convinced himself he loves her because she is a chance at freedom, if it was genuine love I would of stepped in and done this differently, I still care for her and Wills but...”


“Were you responsible for Willows parents?”


“Willow's parents yes, her no, that was my dad. When I told him she was a hacker and her name he checked and saw her name on the watch lists. He then called people he knew and explained that the Rosenburgs doing which tour were the absentee parents of Red Wisp who just went through the immigration database last night looking for how and when an 'Ethan Rayne' entered the US then marked his record as a 'person of interest' putting in that he was on seven terrorist watch lists. Another branch was holding off on confronting the Rosenburgs because there was a jurisdiction issue with Willow here, however, with her being Red Wisp it went to Cyber Crimes in the FBI immediately and they took over.”


“And when she babbles out about slayers, demons, and everything else?”


“The child endangerment charges and sentencing for her parents will probably increase. The US government helped with the destruction of the Watchers. We also got to stop a project they were in the process of starting that was going to be 'reeducation of hostiles and making the perfect troops'. I got to see Uncle Roberto in action, it was great, some very high up government people babble very nicely to him. Then again the one I started talking to is the one that went on and on about their program a Dr. Walsh. Which when I think about it may be what Dru was talking about with Spike having wires in his head.”


Xander sat down at the table and pulled a book out of the ice chest and started reading after another ten minutes he looked up at something, a smirk crossing his face. “Poor Buffy, that didn't take long, guess he never heard about foreplay.” Ethan and Giles started laughing.




Chapter 4 - World Turns by Myiaka
Author's Notes:
Sorry not beta'd will go back through and do that after NaNo - just wanted this out before then or it would get lost.

All standard disclaimers in place – we all know I don't own any of these guys.

This is part 4 of the Families series.


The six men were listening to a Marrach demon give a presentation on the mining projects on one of the worlds based in another dimension. They had been listening to him jabber for 20 minutes when Antonio looked at Daniel “Listening to him I believe we need to send a representative immediately to fix whatever problems they have created.”


Alexander Messer looked over at Antonio and raised an eyebrow. Roberto and Phillip smirked and nodded while Anthony nodded and grinned. Timothy walked in and looked at the guy giving the presentation and frowned “Is he still talking without saying anything?” The others nodded except for Alexander who chuckled. Timothy looked at Alexander “Grandfather do you want me to go investigate what is really going on?”


Alexander frowned “No Timothy, I think you should be around for the other games going on. Anthony I know you have just recently returned to the family but would you like to go find out what is going on?”


Anthony Sassone looked at Alexander “Of course Grandfather though I did plan on stopping by Sing Sing briefly to talk with Sonny, but that shouldn't take long at all.”


Alexander nodded “Take whichever security team you want with you. If you want a couple of advisors do so. Report back with your findings.”


The demon on the viewscreen was looking frightened with each word they said and was shaking his head in denial babbling about how well everything was going and how they were all on schedule.


All eyes switched to the side of the room as a portal opened and out stepped a young man. Xander smiled and nodded at everyone and then looked at the demon on the viewscreen and listened to him babble nodding his head. “I see, everything is working smoothly and there is no need for anyone to come check on things. And how many young hatched this year.”


Listening in Alexander scowled and the others frowned. “Xander.”


Xander waved at Alexander with a “not now” motion causing everyone to raise their eyebrows at the arrogance. “I see and everything is in your report. Your right Anthony doesn't need to come and check out your procedures since everything is exactly as reported.”


Xander nodded at the demon and the connection was cut. Tony Sassone looked at Xander “You had better have a very good reason for doing that or you wont like the consequences.”


Xander looked at him “There is no way in Hell your going there til after a few strike teams clears out the Charrallatc that have taken over the compound and have them enslaved.”


Roberto looked at Xander “You picked up from him that they were enslaved and that the report was false.”


Xander looked over “Yeah, there is about thirty of them there. They are holding the young separate and using everyone else for slave labor. They are clearing out the facility of everything they are producing and sending it to Havar.”


Alexander looked at Roberto then to Xander and laughed. Roberto started laughing as well looking at Xander “So you cause humans to gush and can read demons. I can see many future meetings that are going to be interesting.”


The others joined in the laughter. After a few minutes Alexander looked at Xander “And how did your visit to the Hellmouth go?”


Xander sighed “Well Spike and Dru are heading this way, Dru went on about wires in the head and stuff that is probably what that crazy Walsh was talking about and then she commented about kitten's claws being out, obviously her brains have been scrambled because that was just freaking strange listening to her, I mean you can see what shes seeing and see how its warped. FBI got Wills and I don't think they are too happy, or her parents either. Man talk about worried, she was trying to caste something on the way out but Chaos Boy had some protections up and it was no-go. Think it even fried her connection. The former mayor is having a bad day then again he may feel a little boxed in, or is that cubed in, either way he wont be doing whatever it was he was planning which looking at some of his stuff sounds like an ascension, and boy did I find some neat books that I am sending back. I have Jenna Kadrash aka Jenny Carpenter facing the fact that they were used and majorly. Reminding them of their own culture and the fact that girls weren't that honored, the entire culture is male based, there is no “Favorite Daughter” of the clan. I pointed out how they dealt with daughters today, and how they are used and bartered and if there was that position at one time wouldn't there still be, and she actually had to acknowledge that there is only the one and that is majorly weird. Deadboy is heading to South America and it wont be pretty but he'll learn or not don't really care and truthfully he isn't worth much as anything but eye candy if you like the dark and gloomy type. Though I begin to understand why people want to do bondage and S&M the more I'm around him. The necrophiliac is in denial that her boyfriend is a normal vamp instead of Prince Charming and how they are fated. Shes back on the “Poor Me” kick only no one to listen to her this time, oh well. Cordy is the same snarky self. G-Man and Chaos Boy are obviously doing the nasty and I so do not want to think of that.”


Antonio looked at Anthony “Does he come with a translation guide?”


Anthony chuckled “Think of Ruddy and you will understand.”


Phillip smirked “Ruddy at least spoke English instead of whatever dialect of slang of some English variant that was.”


Alexander looked at Anthony “It seems that there was some issues with education.”


Xander looked at Alexander “School is of the major bad and it is non-mixy with Xander's. Then again the Science sub who was the Praying Mantis who wanted me to fertilize her eggs because I was a virg did make me want to rush out and find someone to no longer be available for that. And Ampata was nice even though she was suppose to be a he but she was actually a mummy that her seal was broken and came back to life, she liked me and didn't kill me when she could like she did the others but it showed that museums are not the place for students. And the Hyena is still very much an alpha in there and that shows that field trips to the zoo are bad for the principal and I am so glad that I was caged when the rest of the pack ate the principal but I do still crave pork from the mascot we ate. And let me tell you thinking about eating live pork is one of the things I try not to think about. Cooked is good but no more raw.”


All the adults were looking at Xander with raised eyebrows. Antonio looked at Anthony then Alexander “School will need to be vetted closely then. As well as making sure they can teach him. Anything you can think of that will help Anthony?”


“What about a demon school” Timothy offered.


Everyone looked at him Timothy went on “They have more practical education, more project driven versus lecture and they are used to scaling for the student.”


Xander looked surprised and interested “I take it there is snacking policy at the school or would we be twinkies while there?”


Alexander looked at Xander then flipped the call to his secretary “Mary I need a bottle of aspirin and someone who can teach Xander English, his speech is driving me insane.”


After Alexander clicked off the intercom he looked at Xander then smirked “I am sure you will put your best effort into learning to communicate properly.” He raised an eyebrow while smirking waiting for a response.


Xander looked at Alexander “So do they teach the eyebrow thingy while they teach speech and by English do you mean like G-Man does or what because I so am not a Brit and really don't understand why cookies are biscuits and all the other words that don't make sense that they think do. I mean I really don't see me wearing tweed and if you look you don't wear tweed so why are you wanting me to wear tweed and drink tea. I like my caffeine in the soda variety not in the boiled leaf way and can we say why would we boil leaves I mean we can go anywhere and find leaves and why would someone decide to boil them. Did they wake up some day and say 'I'm going to go boil these leaves and drink them' or did they do it on a dare?”


Mary was looking at Xander as she had come in with the aspirin bottle. She looked at the bottle “Let me send someone down to the pharmacy for a larger supply. I don't think this will make it through many more conversations. I only understood a small portion of that. The original person I got for English probably would not be the best now that I have a better understanding of the problem. Let me find someone else.” She took two tablets from the bottle then set the bottle on the table and left going to change who they needed. She had thought they meant someone to bring more polish to his speech, not someone who would be teaching him the entire English language. Downing the two aspirin and a drink of coffee she then called someone else before Xander caused anymore headaches.


Alexander stared at Xander with a frustrated look on his face, looking around he saw confusion on Antonio, Roberto's, Phillip's, and Timothy's faces. He saw Anthony was holding back laughter and looked again at Xander and saw the smirk creeping into his eyes. Shaking his head he took the bottle of aspirin and shook out four, then handed the bottle to Roberto to pass around to the others.


Xander looked at Antonio “So where are we going to be living?”


Antonio looked up after downing his asprin “DC area. So we will need to find a good school around there. And I need to call Gibbs and see whats up there. I'm sure he's feeling a little chewed on at the moment.” A grin started to spread across Antonio's face “Can't wait for you and Abby to meet.”


Alexander looked over “Take over the Brighton house. It hasn't been used in a decade and may need some work but should be centrally enough located for both his school and your work. We already have a portal into it so Xander can come back after classes for additional training or classes.”


Roberto looked over at Xander, smiled and then hit the speakerphone “Rudolph could you please come to Alexander's office. I think you and Xander need to speak.”


Two hours later Ruddy was smiling and Xander was smirking and the bottle of aspirin was empty. The conversation had no bearing that anyone could tell but a lot of words that flowed between both. Ruddy looked over at Alexander “He knows the basics and his distraction technique is good, information exchange was superior. However, can see a problem deciphering his slang. Took me a while to get a gist of it and know I'm missing a lot still.”


Antonio looked at Ruddy “That made sense? You lost me while talking about why a mullet means someone is a vampire and how sexy leather is.”


Ruddy looked at Alexander “Lex remember when we were young. Think of what our fathers used to say about our language and remember how we used it. He's doing the same thing except we have no one that speaks the same slang. If his friend Jesse was still around he would probably understand him as well as you and Bear do me. While I understand the need to improve his English since his grammar usage is way below his level we need to find him contemporaries like Tim, Tony, Danny and Dino are.”


Timothy looked over “And that may be a slight issue. With the issue and the game in play none of the rest of us have settled down. There are a couple kids I could think of but they are outside this world and I am not sure they could survive in it.”


Antonio nodded “Other than Xander I haven't thought of having another child, and the ones I could think of I don't know well enough and they are outside the world.”


Xander looked at them “If Wills went back to being Wills instead of Harmony 2 she could...” Xander cut off as he saw Anthony shake his head


“Xander, Willow has been your friend for years can you truthfully say that she is strong enough mentally to be happy with herself and not look for approval or notice? You hid and distracted interest in yourself away, everything she did was seeking approval or notice, something to stand out. From her schoolwork on she was always wanting to be noticed a large part of that is the abandonment from her parents but I could see her easily slipping further down not being strong enough to recognize hidden power in others. You took the understanding that demons does not automatically mean evil without problems. Could Willow? She was still going on how a soul makes a person good even after we tried showing it didn't because her friend said it did.”


They could see the sorrowful look on Xander's face as he shook his head. Raising his eyes he looked at Anthony “I doubt she even realized yet that I never needed to stake Jesse. What Giles told us under the watchers control was wrong and it was still Jesse in there and he could of survived and lived without killing people.”


Alexander nodded his head “If Giles had the ability to truthfully tell you what you needed to do or you had felt comfortable and knew to talk to the adults you may not of had to stake him. However, in Giles defense the slayer is a tool the watchers created to kill first and never ask questions. I am surprised she allowed Angelus to live but considering he did the “Mystery Guy” routine and that won the ego and infatuation of the slayer. From what was reported it seems your Cordy is actually more thoughtful and understanding of people than Buffy ever was when Buffy held that position at her old school.”


Xander got a disgusted look on his face “if Cordy is more thoughtful... then she must of really been a ... but now what is the full plan since the moving to DC is the first step, there is obviously more planned.”


Alexander nodded “Further plans will depend on what we learn going onward. And how you react with others and they with you. With your being bound to a Hellmouth and your ability with Demons that will change some of the original plans. We will not need to slowly bring you around to the idea of Demons being real and can instead start planning training on the different types we deal with and more majick training...”


Alexander stopped talking as the intercom buzzed reaching over “Yes, Mary.”


“Stevens from Strike Team Alpha is calling in with an update do you want it forwarded?”


“Yes forward it in here.”


A few seconds later the viewscreen came to life with a tall Hispanic man looking out “Mr. Messer, we have arrived at the camp and freed the children from the Charrallatc. There were a few minor skirmishes but nothing major and everything is well now.”


Xander, Roberto and Ruddy were all frowning as they looked at the screen. The others saw the looks while Alexander kept his face neutral and focused on the screen. Ruddy nodded to Xander.


“Hey Stevens, Did you find Marrachy while there and grab some extra guava?”


Stevens looked over at Xander “Naw didn't see her and no other vendors had any. Though saw Marrion and thought to grab some beads for my granddaughter.”


Xander smiled “Making nice with the granddaughters is always of the good.”


“Yeah hate it when they are angry at their Grandfather. They usually team up against me.”


Alexander nodded “So Stevens should I send out an auditor team?”


“Yeah, probably should send Tony or Timmy out. Looks like the books are a mess. Wouldn't believe the mess the Charrallatc created here.”


Alexander nodded and Stevens nodded then cut the connection. Xander looked at Roberto “Who is Blackthorn and why are they after Grandfather?”


“Blackthorn is a group that has dealings in many worlds and dimensions. They are more in the business of making money and favors and like to control others.”


“So bad guys.”


“Yes, one of their businesses in this dimension is a law firm known as Wolfram & Hart. Their unofficial motto is 'Hell's Lawyer's'.”


“So Blackthorn financed the Charrallatc to get back at Grandfather for something and the Marrach are just caught in the game.”


Ruddy nodded “Yep, and to say there are a lot of games going on. We make Las Vegas look like a slumber party with all the games we are playing at any one time.”


“What exactly is the family role in all this? That has never really been explained.”


“The name Messer was an translation of the original title we have had since before Anglo's ever found America. We were the Guardians of Humanity in the area from the various dimensions and even from other humans. As the area got more populated we changed and had to hide more especially during periods that the Anglo church was heavy. It has only been a little over a century that we have taken the name Messer. We are a group that have formed into families. Those that can handle the family business stay in the group. Those that don't never earn their names and leave to form their own families. Usually they end up in the Mafia because the structure is something they are used to.”


“So we are the originators of the Protection Racket?”


Everyone started laughing. Roberto snickered before adding “I wish, that would be a lot easier and if we got paid by the people we were protecting we would be richer than Bill Gates.”


Xander nodded “So like the slayer we have a duty and we do it but unlike the slayer we have backing with other families and in case something happens we have backup.”


“Its more than just that. We make sure nothing too bad happens. How easy do you think it would be to bring a plague to New York. It would be around the world in a matter of hours. We try to stay out of the little stuff and let the normal law enforcement work, if we need to step in its a case were they cannot do anything be it due to corruption or unequipped.”


“And whats the plan for Blackthorn and rescuing Stevens and his people as well as freeing the Marrach?”


Alexander smirked “Blackthorn is about to learn why we are called Messer.”


Alexander clicked a few buttons and the viewscreen came to life. On the screen was a demon that looked like every horror demon rolled into one. It saw Alexander and nodded then looked at the others in the room staring at Xander “The Hellmouth bound child, most interesting.” He then looked back at Alexander and stared.


Alexander nodded “Blackthorn contracted with the Charrallatc to try and cause me problems. I am thinking they need to understand that they are not the leaders of all the other realms.”


The being nodded his head and then looked “We wish the Hellmouth bound child to come learn with our children for a few days while we do this. It would be good for them to see the energy and he will learn more. He was helping the tool wasn't he? His signature has that in it, however, he sees and hears more than most think. Yes, while we are explaining to Blackthorn have the child come learn with us. It will be educational both ways.”


Xander looked at him and then at Alexander, then nodding his head at Alexander. Alexander looked at the viewscreen “When would be a good time for him to come learn from you?”


The beings mouth split into many sharp teeth “Now works. Blackthorn has angered a few and many are wanting to get even with them.”


A portal opened in the side of the room and Xander walked forward into the portal, within seconds he was next to the being at the other end of the portal and smirked at Alexander. “Guess English is delayed.”


Alexander groaned and the being laughed as the connection was cut.


Antonio looked at Alexander “We trust them with Xander?”


Roberto looked at Antonio “I would be more worried about them than Xander. What I read from them – they know the deals he just did yesterday. They consider him a young one like they do their own. And considering they are feared in more than a few dimensions and for very good reason, for him to be asked to come learn with them is something that has never happened before.” Roberto looked over at Alexander “What do you make of it?”


Alexander folded his hands with a thoughtful look on his face. “If they consider him a young one, then more probably do as well, or they consider him a major threat. Self defense just joined English as musts as soon as he is back. Anthony, you and Jeromy find out what is common knowledge about him. That was unexpected and I have a feeling its just starting. Antonio get with Harris and make sure the security around the Brighton house is as close to impenetrable as we can get. And make sure all shields include majick as well as any form of teleportation imaginable. Roberto, Rudolph what else did you pick up?”


Ruddy looked over “He was excited to see Xander. And when Xander went over there he was ecstatic. There is more to the Hellmouth Bond than we know, and whatever it is will be major.”


Roberto nodded “He is wanting Xander to meet some of his young and form friendships. I could only pick up pieces since they aren't human but they wont harm Xander. Actually it's in everyone's best interest that no one does. From what little I was able to pick up Xander is considered one of all the clans. I expect you will be getting a lot of requests for him to go train with others or them to come train with him.”


Daniel piped up “So his peer group may be more demonic than human?”


Timothy nodded “I can see that, he isn't in a main family, though he will be in the family business. If we can send him to a demon school as well I expect that school will have an influx of students trying to see if they could make friends or at least acquaintance with him. The bonding him with the Hellmouth may actually be one of the best things for Humans on Earth.”


Daniel nodded “They see him as Human but not, and they will be more open and less standoffish because of him.”


Antonio groaned “Somehow I can see trying to explain to Gibbs that the being in the living room is a classmate of my son and not sitting in a Halloween costume. Abby is going to be thrilled.”


 


This story archived at http://imagine.e-fic.com/viewstory.php?sid=61