Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


“Huh?”

“Xander, you know all the trouble you got in living on the Hellmouth? Of which you’ve only told the others about a quarter because they’d be upset?” Max says, smirking at her boss.

“Yeah,” Xander says, shaking his head frantically at the glares from Throttle and Dawn.

“You’re a piker compared to Greta. Weird shit follows her around like Vinnie follows Charley.”

“Hey,” Vinnie yelps. “I do not follow Charley around like that.”

“Only because she kicks your ass over here when you get too annoying.” Dawn snorts. “Otherwise, you’d follow her around like a lovesick puppy 24/7.”

“Exactly,” Max says, smirking. “Dawn, you can send us a report later. If you survive, that is.” She chuckles and shuts down the connection while her boss pulls a flask from his bottom desk drawer and swallows it in one gulp.

The phone rings again and Micah waves to Max to answer it as he heads for the bathroom. Looking in the mirror, he splashes cold water in his face and wonders once again if he’s getting too old for this job.

“No, otherwise you’d have taken retirement and moved to Mount Olympus to grow grapes like you’ve been threatening for the last couple decades.” Asclepius says, popping into the room, leaning against the wall with his arms folded as he looks at his grandson. “Now what’s the matter? You usually don’t touch the stomach remedy I made you, let alone drink the whole thing at once.”

“How did you know I’d opened the flask, let alone drank the entire thing?” Micah asks, turning off the water as his ulcer twinges again. Asclepius frowns, walking behind his grandson and holding his hands over his stomach, glowing slightly. Micah sighs in relief as the pain eases, drooping. His grandfather immediately grabs him, pushing him down into a chair he conjured from the toilet.

“Better fix that before you leave,” Micah says groggily, “otherwise somebody’s going to be pissed.” He giggles as Asclepius rolls his eyes, hands glowing again as he holds them to Micah’s head.

“Micah, you okay in here?” Max asks, sticking her head around the door. She sees Asclepius in the mirror and enters the bathroom, shutting the door behind her.

“Lord Asclepius,” she says, bowing. “What brings you here today?”

“To answer both your questions, I put a telltale on the flask, to let me know when it had been opened. When I realized Micah had drank it all at one time, I came down to see what the matter was.”

“You remember me telling you about the group in Chicago we’ve been working with? Xander and the others?” Micah asks, voice muffled by the fact he’s got his hands over his face.

“Yes, I’ve seen Ares and Strife cackling in the Halls of Time over some of the trouble they’ve gotten into. Joxer is convinced that Xander has to be descended from Strife, as much trouble as he gets into, but we haven’t been able to confirm it yet.”

“Well, guess who else is in Chicago and just happened to pick Charley’s garage for an oil change?” Micah asks, looking up at his grandfather. Asclepius frowns, then sighs as he realizes who Micah is talking about. Micah nods.

“Lorne is off at the bar, he told us to let him know if Chicago survived, he wasn’t about to get involved in this mess.”

“Okay, my orders are to go get something to eat, no liquor for the 48 hours, then go home and get some sleep.” Asclepius tells Micah. “Max, go with him to make sure he actually eats. The potion’s going to kill his appetite but he’ll end up collapsing if he doesn’t. How’s your head?”

“Very well, thank you Lord Asclepius.” Max says, “I get headaches once in a while, but it’s better than being dead.” The day she’d been shot five times is almost a bad dream, all she remembers is being held by Lorne, Micah screaming ‘Grandfather.’” She’d woken up in Micah’s spare bedroom, and the entire story had slowly been told. Her boss is the grandson of Asclepius, God of Medicine and Bliss, God of Happiness, Great-Grandson of Strife and Cupid, and Great, Great-Grandson of Ares and Joxer.

Asclepius frowns and holds his glowing hands to her head a minute before creating a flask, identical to the one Micah keeps on him or in his desk at all times, which he hands to her.

“Take a couple of swallows of this when the headache starts and it will help with the pain. Don’t be like your boss and drink the whole thing at one time.” He says, popping back to Mount Olympus, leaving Micah sitting on the toilet.

“Come on boss, let’s get something to eat. Otherwise somebody’s going to start the rumor that you and I are having sex in the bathroom again.” She says, slipping a hand under his arm and pulling him to his feet.