Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: See Chapter One
Beta: Queen Sereya
Warning: small hint of slash

Chapter 2: Sara meet Xander, Xander meet Sara

Sara walked into the break room, her head bent as she focused on the folder she was holding. She was a few hours early for her shift, but she had planned to come in to review a big case she had worked on. She was set to testify next week and she wanted to have everything fresh in her head.

“Sara!” Sara looked up startled as Grissom rushed in holding a small box of evidence in one hand and some bulky thing that couldn’t be what she thought it looked like in the other. “Good. You’re here.”

“Yeah. I was just going over the Stevens Ca. . . .” She trailed off as Grissom placed what was definitely a baby carrier, one of those ones that also worked as a car seat, on the table. What was Grissom doing with a baby carrier? She peered at the carrier. And with a baby in it too!

“Can you watch him? These samples need to be processed.” With that, he walked briskly out the door, a determined look on his face.

“Ah . . . I. …guess.”

Sara stared at the baby. The baby was sitting up in its carrier, its head resting against the back as it slept peacefully. It was dressed in a silvery blue onesie that looked expensive and a blanket of the same material covering its legs. Glancing over the baby, she noticed it had a tiny band-aid on the crook of his arm. She wondered if the baby had had blood drawn. Why would Grissom do that? Was the baby involved in some sort of case? She shook her head. Well it didn’t concern her, she decided.

Finishing her perusal of the infant, she frowned thoughtfully as she considered Grissom’s order. What was she supposed to do with it? She had no idea how to handle a little kid, let alone a helpless baby. It was sleeping. That was good. She could go over her notes for the upcoming trial. Grissom would be back soon to explain. And he’d better explain.

After three hours, Sarah sighed. She’d gone over the whole case and was ready for next week. Rubbing the back of her neck, she looked at the clock she realized how long it had been. It was almost time for her shift to begin. She glanced at the door. Where was Grissom? Lucky for her the baby was still sleeping.

Sara glanced at the baby and froze. The infant’s eyes blinked open. It looked at her. She looked at it. The baby’s eyes darted around the room before he let out a small whimper.

Sara stood up, placing her folder on the table. She frantically looked out the door, hoping to see Grissom coming. Unfortunately, the hallway was unusually empty. It was almost time for shift change. The corridor should be full of both night and swing shift people as they switched over. . . Where was everyone?

The baby’s eyes scrunched up as it whimpered. Sara walked over to the baby. “Hey,” she said not sure what to do, “It’s okay. Don’t cry.”

The baby’s eyes darted around the room again before crying softly. Sara also quickly looked around the empty room. What was wrong with the baby? Grissom hadn’t left any supplies. No bottles, no diapers, no toy. Sara looked the infant over. Maybe it was hungry or thirsty or . . . Sara made a face. She didn’t have any diapers, but she should probably check. Grimacing, she reached down to check its diaper. The baby quieted down to sniffles and looked at Sara curiously. Sara stepped back with a sigh of relief. The boy was dry and quiet.

“Waaaaaaaaa.” Sara winced. It seemed she had relaxed too soon. She looked around the room and noticed the vending machines. Maybe it was thirsty. She grabbed some change and went to get some water. She didn’t have a baby bottle for the baby, but it looked big enough to sip from a water bottle with help.

Twisting off the cap, she tipped the bottle toward the baby’s mouth. But the baby turned its head. It screamed louder and flailed its arms. His arm struck her wrist. She jerked back in surprise, splashing water all over the baby’s front. “Shit.”

The baby, who was now not only unhappy but also wet, cried even louder. Sara felt like screaming herself. She didn’t know what was wrong with the baby. She just wished someone would help her.

“Hey Sara, my main girl.” Greg poked his head in. He glanced around the room and grinned as he walked in, one hand held a piece of paper. “You cheating on me with a younger guy? What seems to be the problem?”

She snorted. “Hardly. Grissom asked me to watch him. I don’t know what’s wrong. He’s not thirsty. He’s not wet.” Greg glanced at the baby’s front. “The diaper isn’t Greg. Why is he crying?”

“Well,” Greg said, placing the paper to the side as he started to unbutton the baby’s clothes. “Being in wet clothes can’t be too comfortable. Right, kiddo? Let’s get you changed.” He smiled at the crying baby. The baby stared at the new person. He hadn’t stopped crying, but his cries were softer.

“And how am I supposed to change him? He doesn’t have any other clothing and the blankets wet too. You want to just leave him in his diaper?”

“Nope. Then we’d be cold. Wouldn’t we squirt? They keep the AC up around here.” Greg finished getting the infant undressed. He handed the baby over to Sara who held the infant awkwardly. Gripping the front of his shirt, he took it off. He took the infant back from Sara and proceeded to expertly bundle the crying infant in his shirt. He then held the baby against his chest.

“You used your shirt!”

“It’s clean. I just changed.” Greg bounced slightly as he walked around the room. Amazingly, the infant quieted down.

Sara shook her head. “What are you doing here anyway? I thought you had the night off.” She glanced at the baby who was smiling. “And how did you do that?”

Greg grinned. “I was helping out swing shift DNA. Was just finishing up. As for this little guy . . . you just gotta know what they want.”

“What’s that?”

“What does every guy want? To be held, Sara. To be held. Preferably in warm loving arms of a lady that’s just. . . “

Sara held up her hand. “I get the picture.”

Greg grinned. “You wanna hold him?”

She held up her hands and backed away. “Ah . . . no.”

“Where’s your shirt, Greg?”

Sara gasped and whirled around.

“Oh. Hey Gris. This little guy needed it.” Greg bounced the baby up making him giggle.

Greg continued to play with the now happy baby as Grissom and Sara stared. He could feel their eyes on him. Actually, it felt like even more eyes were on him. It felt like a more heated gaze, one that seemed to be staring right through him. He decided to ignore it in favor of keeping the infant entertained.

“Greg?”

“Yeah, Sara?”

“How’d you know what to do? You’re an only child. So were your parents.”

“Oh, that’s easy. In college, I had this roommate. He had three kids. His wife was constantly leaving them with him. The youngest was two years old.”

“So you watched this roommate with his kids.”

“Daniel? No way. He didn’t want to watch them either. They were good kids, but Daniel couldn’t be bothered to take care of them. He paid me to watch them. I made good money too. Paid for my books my first year as a post grad at NYU.”

Throughout the conversation, Grissom continued to stare at Greg patiently. Finally, tired of waiting, Grissom prompted. “You have something for me?”

Greg looked up. “Huh? Oh yeah. Over there.” He nodded over to the piece of paper he had put down earlier. Grissom moved to read the paper. “I compared the samples. They had seven alleles in common. Both male. Definitely father and son.”

Grissom's head jerked up. Noticing the sudden movement, Sara looked at Grissom, who had a stunned look on his face. He was staring at the baby happily grabbing at Greg’s mouth and nose. “You okay, Grissom?”

Grissom blinked at Sara. “Hmm. . . Yes.”

“Hey Nick, you wanna move. I’d like to put my lunch in the fridge and you’re in the way,” Warrick’s voice came from the doorway where Nick had been standing. Greg looked up startled. How long had Nick been there? Why was he just standing there? What was he staring at?

Grissom slowly approached Greg. “May I?” He indicated the baby. Greg turned back to Grissom and quickly handed him over. Grissom stared down at the baby in his arms, an amazed look on his face.

Warrick nudged Nick’s back, prompting to again move. Nick tore his eyes away from his topless coworker, blushing lightly as he entered the room.

Warrick put his lunch away and then turned around. He noticed the baby in Grissom’s arms. “Cute kid. Who is he?”

Grissom looked up, his eyes wide. “Apparently, my son.”

Tbc.
Chapter End Notes:
Next time: Grissom, where have you been?