Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


June 5th 2004
HyenaBoy,
You really have to tell me how you got that nickname one day. Thanks for sending the help; she’s on her way home and in one piece. Better keep her away from Gotham though; I think Robin’s got a crush. Where are you these days? Still wandering, collecting legends or have you finally settled down? Need to patrol, thanks again.
Nightwing.

August 21st 2004
Hey Nightwing,
Word of warning, we got intel that someone’s hired the Order of Tereka to take you out. Know you won’t like it but the only way to stop them is to kill them. Have to make it more trouble than the contract’s worth to come after you. Sending a photo of their ring, all wear it just not necessarily on their fingers, if they have fingers. Not all members are human so be very careful. Don’t get yourself killed! Let me know if you need help. Stay safe.
HyenaBoy.

February 10th 2005
HyenaBoy,
You’re joking! Hasn’t she learnt? How long till this one goes bad? Let’s face it, from what you’ve said she doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to men. How many of her dates have tried to kill her at one point or another? How’s RedWitch? Hope’s she moved on form the Brat. Everything’s quiet here. Robin’s fallen for the latest Batgirl, not that he’ll admit it. Seems like history repeating itself there. Oracle still won’t go out with me, think I should give up? Actually took you up on the offer to use the apartment last night, you need to get a cleaning service for it. The dust was several inches thick.
Nightwing.

September 18th 2005
Nightwing,
Can’t wait till Christmas! Really need a slow period. Back in the States for a bit. Helping the DarkSlayer and Principal, things are getting out of hand here. Have you seen the latest death statistics? They’ve skyrocketed. Maybe I’ll stop by your place if I’m free around Christmas, be nice to see you again. Better go, getting yelled at for patrol. Later.
HyenaBoy.

January 1st 2006
HyenaBoy,
Happy New Year! Leaving for Gotham tonight, breakout at Arkham. Not how I wanted to be spending the night. Pity you didn’t manage to get here for Christmas, snow actually makes this place look semi-liveable. Hope your night’s better than mine will be.
Nightwing.

April 20th 2006
Nightwing,
Core group get together in London, joy. Wonder if Dark and Light will come to blows again? Key is dating a WolfBoy, he seems nice so far. Half wondering when he’s going to go psychotic on us, pessimistic huh? I’ll be out of touch for a while, headed back to the wild so no internet. Better still be alive when I get back! Too many friends have died on me, don’t be one of them. Should be gone three, maybe four months tops. Maybe we can meet up when I get back.
HyenaBoy.

----------

“So what’s wrong?”

“What makes you think something’s wrong?” Nightwing spared a glance for Robin as they travelled the rooftops. It was nice having the teen around for a bit, he welcomed the help on patrol and it gave Robin some time out from under Batman’s careful watch.

“Ever since August you’ve been a bit distracted. Oracle’s commented on it too. Only one who hasn’t said anything is Batman but you can bet he knows.” Robin paused on the next roof, forcing Nightwing to stop as well.

“It’s nothing.”

“Yeah right. You can either talk to me or I sic Oracle on you and she won’t let it go.” Robin grinned and Nightwing groaned. The kid was just too smart for Nightwing’s own good.

“Fine.” Nightwing lent against the low wall surrounding the roof and realised with a start that it was the roof they’d said goodbye on.
“Remember two years ago when I disappeared for a day?”

“Yeah, Batman was really worried. Didn’t some guy save your life?”

“His name’s Xander, we’ve kept in contact via email. His last message was in April, he said he’d be out of contact for four months at the most. I’m worried.” Nightwing shrugged.

“Eight months is a bit long if he said it would be four. Have you tried police records?”

“He was headed overseas so no.”

“You know his name, get Oracle to search, see if he’s come back into the country or where his passport was last used and when. That’ll give you some idea. Meantime, there’s a guy on that roof. Should we check it out?” They fired their jump lines and swung across. Nightwing threw out his arm, stopping a confused Robin from approaching. Sitting on the edge of the roof was a man with shaggy dark hair, dressed in black.

“We always meet on roofs.” His voice was rough with pain. Nightwing frowned.

“Xander? What happened? Where have you been?” He approached his friend slowly, not wanting to startle him when he was sitting half off a seven-story building. Xander slowly looked up at him, revealing a tear-stained face.

“She’s dead. My Willow’s dead.” Nightwing knelt beside him and placed a comforting hand on his arm, ready to grab him if he slipped.

“RedWitch.” He couldn’t help but gasp as he really looked at his friends face.
“Your eye.”

“Parting gift. She was dieing anyway so she used it all to give it back. But I just want her back!” A harsh sob escaped.
“It’s not fair, she shouldn’t be dead. I’m the normal one, it should have been me.”

“Don’t ever say that Xander! Do you think she would want you to even think that? Come on, you’re coming home with me.” He tried to get Xander to stand but he refused.

“Can’t. Don’t you see, everyone dies. Jesse, Anya, Willow. They all die.” Nightwing removed something from a pouch on his belt.

“Breathe in Xander.” He put his hand up to Xander’s face.

“What?” The gas did its work and he slumped into Nightwing’s waiting arms.

“Patrol’s done for the night. Help me get him to the car.”

“Your missing friend?” Robin moved to hold Xander while Nightwing stood.

“Yeah. He was pretty close to exhausted two years ago but he had been improving. I just hope Willow’s death hasn’t pushed him over the edge, they’d been friends since kindergarten.” They’d managed to get back to Nightwing’s car while talking and carefully put their unconscious burden in.

“So what now?” Robin asked, leaning against the car.

“Whatever it takes to get him back on his feet. I’m taking a vacation.” Robin stared at him in shock.

“Batman won’t be impressed.”

“This is my city Robin, not his. He has no say in what I do here. Xander saved my life, he’s a good man and he needs help before he does something stupid to make the pain stop.” Nightwing slid into the drivers seat.

“Do you think he’d…”

“I hope not.” Nightwing turned the car for home and they fell silent.

------

Xander stared up at the unfamiliar ceiling, not caring where he was or how he got there. It didn’t matter anymore, she was gone. He could still see it in his mind every time he closed his eyes she was there. Probably explained why he hadn’t slept much in the last few weeks so then how was it morning? Then he remembered meeting Nightwing on the rooftop. He must have hit him with some sort of sedative and taken him somewhere to sleep it off.

“Was wondering when you’d wake up.” Xander looked over to the door. Standing in it was a man maybe a few years older than him with blue eyes and dark hair, a man he’d never seen before, or had he? He thought about it for a few seconds.

“Nightwing?” He croaked.

“Knew you were smart. Name’s Dick Grayson. Pleasure to finally meet you face to face. Brought you some breakfast.”

“You drugged me.” Xander accused.

“You were hysterical and on the verge of collapse. Besides that Bludhaven is not safe at night, a fact you well know. Anyhow you looked like you could use the sleep.” Dick grinned as Xander scowled at him.

“Can’t sleep, keep seeing her.” Xander turned away.

“I won’t ask but I am here if you need to talk. Nightwing and Officer Grayson are officially on holiday.” Xander turned back, looking mildly surprised.

“You’re a cop?”

“Yeah, one of the few honest ones in the city.”

“You’re a vigilante, not very honest there.”

“Yeah, well the cops don’t really like us masked types and I can do twice the good as both. Besides it gives access to really fun reading material. You for example have a very interesting record.”

“Wouldn’t surprise me, the cops back home never liked us. Most of them were on the mayor’s payroll, he was more than corrupt. They tried to pin everything they could on us. Only things I did do they never figured out.”

“Oh?” Dick raised an eyebrow. He’d had the feeling that the things in Xander’s record weren’t right.

“Stole a rocket launcher from the army and blew up the high school.”

“You what!” Dick stared at him in shock, there had better be very good explanations for those.

“Demon called the Judge was going to wipe out humanity and no weapon forged by man could stop it. Rocket launchers aren’t forged. I wanted a tank but I figured even people in Sunnydale weren’t that blind. As for the high school, the mayor was going to ascend into a big snake demon, eat the graduating class and then open the Hellmouth. He had to be stopped. I made the explosives and organised the student army for the day.” Xander shrugged.
“This is off the record isn’t it?”

“Yeah, no one would believe me anyway. I can’t decide which one of us has the weirder life.”

“At least I don’t swing around in a skin-tight costume.” They both smiled at that. Dick was willing to take the digs about his uniform if it kept Xander’s mind off his own problems.
“Who’s in the other room?”

“You probably saw him last night.” Xander frowned in concentration.

“Robin?”

“Yeah, I’d introduce you but he’s still at the stage where protecting his id is everything. And with Batman backing that up…”

“That’s fine, we managed to be friends without my knowing.”

“That we did. Does your knowing change anything?”

“Not on my end, except now I know where to send Christmas cards.” Dick relaxed.
“Though it’s driving me crazy trying to work out where I’ve heard your name before.” Dick winced; Bruce was not going to be impressed.

“Probably in connection with my father, Bruce.”

“Bruce…Bruce Wayne? Oh yeah, that would be it. He seems like an all right guy, needs to drop the airhead playboy routine though.” Dick laughed.

“What makes you think its an act?”

“Call it a hunch, no way he’s that dumb.” Xander didn’t point it out but he was great at spotting masks, he’d been wearing them all his life.
“What happens now?”

“You eat and clean up, then we go from there.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“Because you’re my friend and you saved my life, guess I’m returning the favour.”

“I…” Xander swallowed and looked away.

“Eat Xander.” Dick smiled softly in understanding.

TBC…