Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


I head for the back of the bus, everybody but the 9th Doctor and his Jack and Greta's eyes growing huge when the aisle morphs into a long hallway just before I would have reached the wall.


“Doc, is this a TARDIS?” Eureka Jack asks.


“No, not yet anyway.” Greta says. “Maybe in a few hundred years. She can travel across dimensions right now, but not time or space.”


“I've got plenty of time.” I call over my shoulder. Eureka Jack and his Doctor look around. The first thing they see is a huge staircase that looks vaguely like the one he had in the TARDIS during his 8th incarnation on the left side of the hallway.


“How many floors do you have?” Eureka Jack asks, the stairway goes up as far as he can see.


“A little over a hundred now. I added a small elevator,” I wave a hand at the gilded cage that looks like it belongs in an old fashioned fancy hotel from the turn of the century. “for the higher floors.”


The hallway splits just past the elevator and staircase, one part continuing straight, the other going to the left. Looking up at the staircase, Eureka Jack can see the hallway continuing back the way they had come and as far forward as he can see as far up as he can see. If there's any hallways branching off the main hall, he can't see them from his spot on the bottom floor.


A sound of whoosh, whoosh, whoosh is heard from the front of the bus. “Greta, go out there and tell them where we are? I told them about you if it's not the fourth or fifth Doctor.”


Greta rolls her eyes but heads for the front of the bus. There's a second TARDIS parked across from the first one and she can swear they're looking out at the scene. She walks in front of the second TARDIS.


Inside the TARDIS, the Doctor and Jack are standing in front of the console. They recognized the inside of Josette's bus when they'd landed but there's another TARDIS across the aisle. A tall girl suddenly appears on the screen. It's obvious she knows where the camera is, she waves right at it. The Doctor turns the sound up as she begins to speak.


“. . .Greta, Josette swears she told you about me.” the girl on the screen rolls her eyes.


“You're Greta?” Jack toggles the switch so he can be heard outside the TARDIS.


“Yes,” She nods. “Josette is “ she jerks her thumb in the direction of the inside of the bus.


“Why did Josette call us?” The Doctor asks as Jack opens the door, ducking back into the TARDIS and returning with a yawning baby in a chest carrier and a toddler hanging on his hand. The Doctor swoops the toddler up into his arms as they head out of the TARDIS, locking the door behind them.


“Josette, toss me that scroll.” Greta's voice calls down the hallway. I roll the scroll up and put both hands on it, making a tearing motion. Nathan gasps when he sees two scrolls in my hands, one that's tossed over my shoulder and floats down the hall towards the front of the bus.


The scroll floats into Greta's hands, she unrolls it and hands it over, the Doctor chuckling softly as he turns it right side up. “Hey, I don't read it,” she says, holding up her hands. “It looks like circles and scribbles to me. There's something you should know though, before we go back.”


The Doctor looks down at the scroll, reading. “There's more than one of me here?”


“Two, one is the one who lives here in Eureka, the second is the one Josette and I first met. Their Jacks are here as well. There's at least two more expected as well.” The Doctor takes a deep breath and Jack touches him gently on the shoulder. “Okay, let's go.” he says, looking like he's walking into an ambush instead of down the aisle of a bus.


Greta leads them back to where I'm standing in the middle of one of the libraries. Nathan stares at the little boy in the Doctor's arms, the two other Doctors looking at the man holding him, trying to feel the 'tang' they get from Jack's immortality. Meanwhile, the Doctor is staring in disbelief at the 9th Doctor, it's one thing for Josette to have told him she knows a version of him that's regenerated, it's another thing entirely to see it for himself.


He looks young, the other two Doctors think, he's as old as they are, or at least that's what Josette had said, but he looks younger. Of course, that might be the toddler in his arms babbling quietly. Carter stares at the boy, the Doctor protecting him automatically. He doesn't know why the Sheriff looks stunned, at least until Nathan pulls out his wallet, showing off a picture of a familiar boy in the Sheriff's lap.


“You too?” he asks. Nathan nods. “He . . .” he looks over


“Doesn't know.” Nathan says quietly. Meanwhile, the other two Jacks are clustered around the newcomer, looking down at the baby on his chest. Eureka Jack pulls out his wallet, showing off pictures of his children and they talk quietly as somebody starts knocking on the door of the bus.


Greta heads that way, finding Henry ready to rap on the door again, “Nathan in here?” he asks the girl that opens the door.


“Nathan, it's for you.” Greta calls.


Nathan comes up and Henry talks to him quietly. Nathan asks something and looks at his phone when Henry answers.


“Jack, we're going to have to leave for a while. We need to go pick up the crib and other baby supplies for Allison's nursery.” he calls over his shoulder. “You're the only one with a big enough vehicle.”


Greta touches his shoulder. “We can use the bus, it's got room in the back for anything we need to get.”


“Thank you Greta, this way we don't have to make more than one trip.”


“Josette, we're going to pick up baby supplies for Dr. Blake's nursery.” Greta calls over her shoulder. “Daniel,” she sticks her head out the door. “Grab Buck, he can help move things and exercise muscles other than his mouth.” Daniel snickers and Buck gets on the bus.


The others brace themselves when the bus begins moving but only the scenery moving past the windshield lets them know they're moving. They pull up in the back of the store, Buck and Nathan manhandling the huge boxes into the back of the bus. Henry is waiting for them when they pull up outside of Dr. Blake's home, the boxes are removed from the bus and taken inside. They'd painted the nursery one weekend, the second crib is put together and placed against the wall, the second changing table and dresser maneuvered into the free space left and the second dresser filled with the baby clothes and other items the townspeople had been dropping off since the news Allison had given birth to a girl as well as a boy had made the rounds.


Nathan looks around the room in satisfaction and shuts the door behind him, the bus pulling away from the curb and heading back to the Guest House. Henry nods in satisfaction, he's taken pictures of everything and sent them on to Allison up at Global Dynamics. He gets behind the wheel of his car, stopping off at the store and running in, returning to his car with a package in his hands.


Up at Global Dynamics, he walks into House's office to find Allison sitting on the couch. “I wondered how long you were going to want to stay in bed.” he says. The bassinets are in the office with her and he kisses her cheek before handing the package wrapped in plain paper to Alex.


“Here you go Alex,” Alex looks at the paper and starts ripping it off immediately, finding a teddy bear inside that he holds. “The new babies are getting presents from everybody in town, I didn't want him to feel left out.”


“Thank you Henry, for thinking of Alex and arranging to have everything taken care of for the nursery.” Allison says.


“Ooohhhh,” Alex says, everybody turns to look at him to see his new Teddy bear hovering in front of him.


“Henry. . . was there anything special about that teddy bear?” Allison asks quietly.


“Nope, just a normal teddy bear I picked up at the store.” Henry stares at the bear that slowly drops onto the playpen floor. Alex yawns and lies down next to the bear, arm wrapped around the bear and his thumb tucked into his mouth.