Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Chapter 4



“I understand.”



“Yes I understand that our demographics are a little strange with 50% of the student body Caucasian and the other 50% other but that is the best ethnic category for them.”



“No I am not disrespecting any ethnic group.”



“No I am not trying to demoralize any group by saying they can only be Caucasian or it doesn't count.”



“Ma'am why don't you come and administer the next test yourself if you are so concerned.”



“Very good Ma'am, we will see you Monday with some of your staff to correct the demographics and administer the testing.”



Principal Rogers placed the receiver back on the base then banged his head on his desk. Mrs. Edenricks the Vice Principal looked in and laughed. “Paul why are you giving yourself a headache that way. If you want one I'm sure some of the students have done something that will cause one.”



Paul Rogers looked up and grimaced. “That was the Secretary of Education for the State of California.”



Mrs. Edenricks hissed. “Ouch, so what are they concerned about.”



Mr. Rogers laughed. “Oh, what are they not concerned about? For twenty years, our stats were placing us further and further down the state list of schools. We were next to the bottom three years ago. Then all of a sudden about two years ago, our stats on the mandatory tests started to rise. First for the elementary students and now our Jr. High, stats are also raising eyebrows. We went from the bottom ten percentile to the top ten percentile in two years. However, our high school student’s stats have remained the same.”



Mrs. Edenricks looked at him nodding. “Yeah, because none of the new students have started high school yet. When the current 7th graders reach high school the high school stats will change.”



Mr. Rogers looked at her. “And it will probably take what we had to do to the elementary school two years ago and the Jr. High last year. Getting rid of a lot of the old teachers because they can't deal with our diverse student body.”



Mrs. Edenricks snickered. “Diverse Student Body. That’s one way of putting it. What else was there?”



Mr. Rogers mimicked. “We have noticed that you are forcing students of other ethnic backgrounds to put other if they are not Caucasian. Since 50% of your student body is Caucasian the other 50% are obviously being made to feel inferior due to being classified as other than their true ethnicity.”



Mrs. Edenricks snorted and started laughing loudly. “I would say you are kidding but that is so stupid it could only be thought up by a bureaucrat. The obvious answer is there is nowhere on the form for their species, and the form was only for human ethnicities. And you invited them here for the testing next week… oh… should we inform the students.”



Mr. Rogers started laughing. “Could you see the children, oh I could see Charrallac asking why Mohra's are not listed and Marrak asking why they only limit themselves to a few colors since Pracha have close to thirty colors on their bodies.”



Mrs. Edenricks. “Oh and just think what the trio would do to them. Maybe you should make sure the Secretary of Education does the fourth graders.”



Both of them cracked up laughing thinking of what the state educational people were going to walk into next week. Knowing that the visit would soon be discussed around the school.



Principal Rogers and Vice Principal Edenricks both smirked as they looked around the school the following Tuesday. The Secretary of Education and her people were due in soon and the students were in fine form. No group had more than two humans to it. Everyone was chattering in multiple languages. The students were showing magic in a wide variety of displays. The realmer children that could look human were not even attempting to, to make sure they were seen as “Other”.



When the rental SUV pulled up and a group of people got out, giving the place a look that let you know they were looking down their nose at it. As the group was coming towards Mr. Rogers and Mrs. Edenricks a couple Harrl's came flying around the group. The grav-boards that allowed them to float and fly vs their normal slither helping them get around the school quickly. Both students chattered at them in their language and rushed off to class. The administrators looked startled. Just then, the Trio came running up throwing an energy ball between and threw the ball right through the middle of the group. Making sure to not catch but instead keep it in the air Xander cupped his hands saying “wind” as it drew near him, causing the ball to blow towards where he pointed and change from fire to air. The administrators were starting to look a little green.



Mrs. Edenricks said quietly out of the side of her mouth. “We better get them inside before they crack. They look like just the glimpse is shattering their world and the students would be upset if they broke this fast.”



Rogers snorted before. “Alexander, Jesse, Willow, get to class. Remember we have tests today.” The three students nodded before rushing off to class.



Rogers then looked at the stunned group before him. “Welcome to Sunnydale Elementary I am glad you made it without problems.”



“Yeah, the students would be upset if they didn't get to traumatize you.” Was whispered beside him.



One of the women shook herself. “Interesting theatrics.”



Rogers raised an eyebrow. “Theatrics. Sorry no. We don't have a theatre program at this level. Shall we go inside and get ready to start giving the tests or would you like to hold an assembly to talk with the students first?”



One of the men quickly regained his attitude. “An assembly first so we can point out to the students that they should classify themselves correctly and not degrade their heritage by putting 'Other' on the forms.”



Mrs. Edenricks smiled. “I will go and tell the classes to gather in the cafeteria after roll call. So about fifteen minutes. Is that enough time to setup?”



One of the women looked at her. “Yes”



The head woman looked on. “Yes, show us to the cafeteria so we can setup. I am sure your announcement is expected.”



About twenty minutes later the classes start to stream into the cafeteria. The administrators were turning pale as they realized the children wore no costumes. Watching one drink from his stomach and looking in the mouth helped cure the costume thought.



One of the women looked at the head woman. “I see Caucasian and unable to classify. Anyone else?”



The head woman looked sick. “I want to know what hallucinogenic is in the air around here. This is not possible... “



One of the smaller men smirked at her laughing inside. He saw Rogers looking at him and nodded to him then blinked his eyes both ways. Rogers smiled and whispered the fact to Edenricks.



Rogers went up before the students and introduced their guests. The Secretary of Education went up and started talking about the importance of the tests. After ten minutes, she opened the floor for questions. Rogers and Edenricks laughed when she did as every student raised their hand.



“Why do you only list groups by colors? Most of us list by species, then clans. Colors are usually individualized due to personality.”



“Why are you giving us the same tests repeatedly? The tests do not show a good understanding of the subject but instead whether we studied the test material.”



“How do you expect to judge how well we do on subjects when you limit your tests to such limited subjects?”



“Why do you care if I like Shakespeare?”



“Why am I being asked about alcohol and drug usage? And if I was really doing it do you really expect me to tell you?”



“Giving so many tests do you believe we are going to answer them all correctly? Because after the third one each year I normally just play fill in the bubbles without reading them because they are useless if you have to do them that often.”



“Why would we care about what you think we should learn? You aren't here and I don't see you wanting to move here.”



After thirty minutes of questions, the administrators were looking like they were hit repeatedly with baseball bats when Rogers stepped to the microphone. Raising his hand the questions stopped and he looked at the students. “Ok everyone, they heard your complaints. Back to class for another fun filled test. And Jonathon I know you have taken two others so far this year but try to read this one instead of just play. “Make a design from the bubbles.””



The students laughed as they got up and headed for class. Rogers looked at the Secretary and raised an eyebrow. “I thought we were going to discuss 'classifying themselves correctly so they don't degrade their heritage'?”



The look on the snobby man’s face was priceless. He looked crestfallen and shocked. “They weren't.... They don't fit... They can't... It's not possible....”



Rogers smiled and led them toward the classes. “So I thought you would each take one class in each grade level. Mrs. Edenricks will show the 1st-3rd year classrooms for you people to distribute your tests. I will show you the 4th-5th years.”



After school let out and the administrators had left, claiming hallucinogenic drugs in the water made them see the realmer children but agreed that 50% of the student body was other. Rogers and Edenricks were looking over the yard the children left for the day.



A month later on the night of the full moon, at 11pm, Xander sat up in bed. He got up and got dressed quickly and semi quietly. As he was opening his door, he saw Jesse and Willow looking at him from their doorways. “Someone is planning to do something to the portal.”



Jesse nodded. “You wearing the necklace so I can caste shields on it and over you?”



Xander nodded. “Yeah have it on.”



Willow nodded. “Good, we will use the crystal to watch your health. If I see you in trouble I will use the necklace to try and heal you or if need be Jesse and I can pull you back if you pop the black bead on the band.”



Xander nodded and headed toward the stairs when the hall light flipped on. “How do you plan on getting there?” Jess was standing in their bedroom doorway and Tony came up behind her pulling on a t-shirt and stuffing his feet in shoes as he walked.



Tony looked at the others that had quickly disappeared into their rooms; they came back out less than a minute later dressed. Tony nodded as they all headed down to the car. Jess went to make some snacks for when they returned.



At 11:30pm, Xander walked into the basement of the High School under the Library and saw the group there. A bunch of vampires and Mayor Wilkins. Xander shook his head. “So you’re the one trying to move the portal from where it was to only hell dimensions?”



Wilkins glared at Xander.”I will have to have a serious talk with your parents about you wandering around after curfew.”



Xander laughed. “I don't think that is what you have to worry about.”



One of the vampires lunged toward Xander. He held up his hand, “Fire” and a blast of fire ignited the vampire. The others stood there in shock. He looked at them “Fire” “Fire” “Fire” “Fire”. Soon the only one standing there was Wilkins. The mayor looked at Xander. “Well Gosh, that wasn't nice of you.”



Xander smirked. “I never said I was nice. I am Guardian. You are trying to cause problems for the town. I am your judge, jury, and executioner.” The mayor looked startled the voice was not Xander’s; he could hear tones of others in it. He looked at the portal seal and saw that it had changed in such a way he couldn't access it.



Wilkins smiled at Xander. “Well it seems we are at an impasse.”



Xander snorted and raised his hand. “Guilty”. The scream should have been loud but it barely sounded at all. The Mayor was ripped apart at the molecular level.



Xander nodded and walked up to the car. Tony looked at him. “Alexander are you ok?”



Xander looked at him. “Wilkins was found guilty.” The others looked concerned for the voice did not belong to Xander. He shook and looked at his dad. “I think I'm ok but will need to discuss the guardian with some of the elders.”



Tony nodded and drove the children home. After he and Jess gave them a snack and hot chocolate, then tucked them into bed Tony went and called Emily Pinkers.



“We just got back from the Portal. Xander said that Wilkins was found Guilty but the voice wasn't his. He wants to talk to the elders about the guardian... 11pm saying someone was planning to do something to the portal... Yeah, thanks, will keep you informed as well.”



Tony then headed back to his bedroom and hugged Jess. “And think they are only ten years old. The fun part of their teen years hasn't started yet.” Jess hit him with a pillow for that remark.





Chapter 5





Mayor Ray Henderson met with the principals of his schools, Mrs. Eugene Edenricks for the Elementary, Mr. Paul Rogers for the Jr. High and Mr. Charles Robertson for the High School.



“Charlie, how did the teachers do the first year of mixed students?”



Charlie laughed. “We ended up replacing about 90% of the faculty. Though Jess Harris took over for Freshman English as well as running the library. In a lot of ways, the change in faculty has greatly improved student moral. Though some of the older students still look at the new students strangely, especially the older ones that have not had to mix with them before. Another thing to note is that they will not put up with bad teachers. The old Freshman English teacher Snyder by the second day of class was totally ignored and at one point silenced and hung from the ceiling.”



They all laughed at that having met him before. “Any other cheery news?”



Charlie looked over at them. “So what are we planning for college? Some of the older students are seeing the benefits of the mixed classes. I have one cry on me because I must hate her because we didn't do this for their year and the freshmen are already so beyond them educational and statistically that they could never catch up.”



The others looked over Paul said. “Beyond them?”



Charlie nodded. “You have been with them the entire way so probably don't notice it. But most of the incoming freshmen this year place at doctorate level for most subjects. The ones that are considered lower are still beyond basic requirements for a Bachelors at any Ivy school.”



Ray winced. “So our students are so far beyond the norm normal colleges would not take them.”



Charlie shook his head. “Oh normal colleges would love them; they would also have major problems. Can you see our students in a 300-room auditorium listening to a teacher drone on regarding something they learned in Jr. High? And we know that a lot of the college professors are not really teachers. They are more researchers because of the 'publish or perish' way of the college systems and the grants they need to keep funding themselves.”



Paul winced. “So the teacher would be a jibbering wreck in 10 minutes, and hanging from the ceiling. And depending on the mood of our students they would be disappointed at the narrow field of studies they can do.”



Charlie nodded. “We created a major problem in that the students are so advanced and stay advanced from such a young age that we need to move UCS from the UC system to our own within the next two years. As it is, a bunch of the current students want remedial classes and a JC locally so they can catch up to the others and wait for the college to open.”



Eugene looked over. “If they have the option for other colleges why would they want to wait?”



Charlie looked at each of them. “Take Steve Roberts, straight A student all his life. Has read every medical text out there and really wants to be a doctor. Graduates at the end of the year. What do you think his reaction was when he saw someone healing a patient? Not using the tools he was wanting to learn but healing a patient.”



“Envy, wonder, want.”



“Yes, he wants to study healing and when we explained that it took years of study and some aptitude he immediately wanted tested. I took him to Healer Rrarrack. Steve did very good and will be apprenticing with the healers during off school hours but now he is in a quandary. Healer Rrarrack did explain to him that there are some things Doctors do better than Healers and some things that Healers are better at doing. So now, Steve wants to train to be both a Doctor and a Healer to help the most he could. However, if he left the area to further his college ambitions towards being a doctor he would not be available for his internship on healing.”



“Could Healer Rrarrack maybe switch his internship to another healer during his college years?”

Charlie shook his head. “While the human/realmers interactions here are normal could you see a Healer in New York or somewhere if a human child came to them having spent a year learning healing? Unfortunately, a lot of the places outside of Sunnydale still have the divide that we have totally blasted away. Even the adults here that until four years ago didn't know about us think nothing of the mix. We live openly next door to each other. Eat at restaurants together openly, work together, our children go to school together. Right now there are more realmers teachers at the high school than humans, and I believe it is close at the other schools as well.”



The other principals nodded. “Yeah, I think we are 2-1 at the elementary level.”



“About that at the Jr. High Level as well.”



Ray looked at the three principals. “So we have blasted apart the barrier between humans and realmers and in the process have raised the human children to such a level they could no longer interact with their own world counterparts.”



Charlie shook his head. “Not just the human children. Realmers as well have changed dramatically here. During the last get together of the Pashra Clans last year the clans here felt like they were distant neighbors because the problems the others were talking about, human interactions, encroachment, possible wars with other realmers, they had no bearing to any of the clans here. We have such strict inter-cooperation, respect policies in place that we no longer even understand why they have problems. Some of the older of the clans have removed themselves to other clan that couldn’t adapt but that was when it started. Now everyone who remains is mixed thoroughly and some of the young of other clans want to come here and start new clans in the open environment.”



Eugene. “What about new humans? We need to increase the human population as well or it will soon be more realmers than humans.”



Ray looked at the others. “Would a new college with strict inter-respect clauses that does strict recruitment to other humans that would be open to our ways and possibly stay here be the best bet?”



The others nodded. “Have the college mixed. We may need to let outside realmers in as well but if everyone had the strict screening, it would be better. However, most of the country is so far behind our students the levels of classes will be staggered significantly.”



Ray laughed suddenly. The others looked at him questioningly. “I think the Secretary of Education would love to close UCS and allow us to open a college. She would probably help us get accredited as well. Since the last time we talked she was taking Sunnydale's scores out of the reports because we blew too many curves.”



Paul and Eugene smiled remembering the visit two years earlier. “She still having a problem with the students marked as “Other”?”



Ray laughed. “She was talking at one point of just adding a different question “Resident of Sunnydale? If yes skip to question X.”



They all laughed at that one.



After a bit more planning Paul looked up. “I see an upcoming issue. In two years the trio hits high school.”



Charlie nodded. “And Jess is a teacher as well as librarian there. While I can't lose her yet I was going to suggest when I switch to the college, Paul you take the High School, Eugene you move to the Jr. High and give Jess the elementary school.”



Eugene laughed. “What did she do to earn your ire like that?”



“I think she could handle it. Then again, she will be the only human principal but for starting, the kids off it should be ok. And Glark would be her VP.”



“We need to do something for Wells and Levinson. Their fly-boards have greatly helped some of the realmers be able to make classes. And their other inventions are just as insane but usable.”



“Talk about child prodigies, those two are quite the inventors.”



The planning for switching UCS to a specific college went well into the night



Later that week Jess looked at the children as she picked them up from their after school classes, shaking her head thinking. 'In four years the entire world seems to have turned upside down. Alexander is great with languages and people, and let’s not think about his destructive powers. The boy flings energy bolts around like they are darts. Jesse is already in internship with the master warders. The boy is a wonder at warding; our house is now protected from everything imaginable. This is good on the days that Alexander tries new things. The mess of the combined energy bolts that everyone said that couldn't be done that nearly took out the elementary school while he worked on them. Then Jesse learning how to ward against something that is impossible to do because Alexander just did it. Willow is training with Healer Rrarrack as well as others in learning how to heal and teleport, she won’t start her formal internship for healer until she is older because of the energy draw. However, talking with Steve has helped her a lot. Between the two of them they will both probably be some of the first Healer/Doctors that the communities have.'



As the three kids ran toward her she nodded at one of the adults who motioned her over. She looked at the three and all three put on their “Angel” face. Jess groaned. Going over to Tutor. “So which one did what this time. By the look on their faces it wasn't pretty.”



Tutor laughed. “We had visitors from off realm here today. While a few understood, their language and we could communicate and trade Alexander kept giving them funny looks. After a bit he came over to them and in Sharralla asked them what they were trying to pull. Too, say everyone was surprised and confused is an understatement. So we asked him what he meant and he commented that they were not Kclarkks like they said but actually Sharralli and the Heart Stones we were trading with them for, they stole from a clan that is now dying. They protested of course and he nodded at Willow. We are not sure how but she hooked with him and opened a portal into their realm. Were we saw the tribe of Kclarkks and when Alexander brought back their Heart Stone and placed it in the proper place you could see the energy returning to people. After Alexander had placed the Stone, Jesse went to it and warded it. Then the three caste something we are still trying to decipher that allowed the stone to recharge itself so it would not run out of energy for a long time.”



Jess hung her head. “So ...”



Tutor laughed. “So the children just saved a clan in another realm and caught thieves that had been stealing Heart Stones from friendly clans and selling them.”



Jess looked at Tutor. “And...”



Tutor laughed. “And, Alexander is expected to train on Ckarrla for a few hours each day.”



Jess looked at Tutor. “Ckarrla? I am not familiar with that or them.”



Tutor nodded. “No, and we are not much either. They are a guardian clan that protects most of us peaceful clans. They call the boy one of theirs. Considering his nature we could understand that.”



Jess nodded. “So when do they want Alexander and what about the others.”



Tutor shifted her three heads. “Each afternoon after other learning, Alexander will go to them. The warders will take Jesse for more learning and Willow will join the healers. So instead of picking them up at this time, pick them up 3 hours later.”



Jess frowned. “That would put their pickup at 8pm. That leaves little time for homework and dinner.”



Tutor frowned. “You are correct. Schoolwork must be done and sleep must happen to help growth. Food could be had here.”



Jess shook her head. “No, food is done as family unit to discuss the day and connect with family. Tony and I will not allow you to destroy family bonds.”



Tutor looked at her startled. “Most sorry, did not realize. Again most sorry. If you wish to come in and we can all discuss this.”



Jess nodded than looked at the trio. Motioning for them to go ahead and start their homework she followed Tutor in to talk with everyone concerned. However, part of the conversation was done through a dimensional gateway or a projected image was strange but something she was getting used to.



An hour later, the family came home with pizza. Tony looked up as they came in the door and looked at dinner then Jess. “Take it; it was a longer day than normal.”



Jess looked at him. “All days are about to get longer.” Jess then motioned everyone into the kitchen and started handing out plates with pizza on them. Everyone started laughing and discussing the day. Part way through dinner Xander and the others went into what happened that afternoon. Tony looked quickly at Jess and she nodded her head.



After they finished the tale, Jess looked at them. “So starting tomorrow we get up at 5am so that at 6am you are at Tutors and with your specialized training. Meaning Jesse will be with the warders, Willow the Healers and Alexander the Ckarrla. School starts at 8:30 and they will transfer you back to Tutors at 8am so you can get to school on time. After school will be like normal with you going to Lee's Dojo on Wednesday and the other days to Tutors. We will see how this schedule works for the next few months.”



The trio looked crestfallen. “You mean we have to get up at 5am!”



Jess nodded. “Yes, I am not having you miss family dinners and rush homework.”



Tony nodded in agreement. “I totally agree. Better to do it early than mess up the family.”



The trio looked at each other then nodded before smirking. Alexander looked at Jess. “Thanks Mom!” The other two echoed the thought. “Thanks Mom!” “Thanks Mom!” Leaving Jess with a startled look on her face as they left the table to head down to the basement to finish their homework.



Tony started laughing at the look on Jess's face.





Dinner two months later had everyone at home discussing the day and what was happening. Jess looked at the trio. “So you’re nearly done with Sixth Grade, how does it feel to be one grade closer to High School?”



Jesse looked at her. “Have they decided what to do about College yet? Since that seems to be a major issue with some of us getting ready to go soon.”



Jess nodded. “UCS is closing at the end of the year. They are citing poor scholastics as the reason. Wilkins College will open in the fall.”



“Not Wilkins.”



“Alexander?” The voice was not Xander’s and everyone realized that something was talking through him.



Xander walked to the wall and waved a hand, all of a sudden all the principals and the Mayor were on vapors on the wall. It looked like viewing portals where none had been. They looked as startled as the ones in the Harris household.



“He was declared Guilty the College will not bear his name.”



Ray Henderson looked at Xander. “We were doing it to honor the fact that he did make this a safe haven for all and while he may have had plans it was mainly due to his efforts...”



“NO. The name will not be. Choose something else. If you disregard the school will fail. He was using everyone for his own needs and plans. There was no co-operation with him. The new College is to be about co-operation and growth.”



Jess looked at Xander. “Who exactly are you?”



“I am Guardian.”



Jess looked helplessly at the screens and they looked as bewildered. Ray nodded. “OK what about Haven.”



Jesse spoke up. “Sounds like a place for runaways not a serious college.”



Willow spoke up. “Sun Harbor? Harbor could be used as a haven as well. The college will be a private college.”



Paul looked at Willow. “Sunnydale Harbor?”



Alexander spoke then. “Whatever you want to decide but not Wilkins or any others that planned to destroy us.”



Ray looked at Alexander. “We will discuss it and remember to not name it after someone who would destroy us.”



Alexander nodded then waved his hand again and the images faded. He blinked a couple times than looked at his mother. “Sorry but Guardian was very upset with the name.”



Jess looked at him. “Who is Guardian?”



Xander looked at her confused. “Guardian.”



Jess nodded. “Yes Guardian, who is Guardian.”



Xander looked at her like she wasn't all there; she scowled at the look on his face. “Guardian is Guardian. Who else did you expect him to be?”



Jess thumped her head against the wall. Tony looked at her and Willow piped up. “That makes sense.” Jess looked at Willow. Willow nodded. “Healer Ssaccka said that Xander was one of the few he had ever seen that was a full medium. I didn't understand what he was talking about but he tried explaining it as “Someone who spirits or energy entities could inhabit without issue.”



Jesse looked at her. “Does he need wards from them?”



Willow shook her head. “Somehow Guardian is keeping it so nothing else can get in. It's like he has another identity which is Guardian.”



Jess looked at Willow. “So he's possessed by Guardian and is that good or bad.”



Alexander looked at Jess. “Mom, Guardian is what he is. Just like the Ckarrla are guardians, he is like them. In fact, the Ckarrla are helping us integrate. Though he is a bit stick in the mud about the energy bolts. Would you believe he didn't believe I could make a rotating bolt that would cycle through the different elements until finding a weakness and then keep doing that if the weakness is fixed? It took me a week to make the bolts work right but finally got it.”



Jesse looked at Xander in wonder. “You didn't tell me you did that! Why didn't you show me so I could look at making a ward for it?”



Xander looked at Jesse. “I did show you. You and Warder Rixer. Remember when you guys placed those wards in various patterns and I loosened the bolts and let them work through them?”



Jesse looked at Xander, “But we thought they broke due to strength not bypassing the elemental properties. OK Xander we need to do that again tomorrow.”



Willow sighed. “Oh Great I will let the healers know. Usually when you two start doing that we need to soon heal someone.”



The next day a town meeting was suggested for the naming of the new college and other issues, the meeting was set for one week later with suggestion boxes for the new town name to be across town. During the meeting the citizens will vote for the names, they liked the most.



That afternoon the trio were with Tutor again going over the bolts. Warder Rixer was looking very embarrassed for not realizing or asking how Alexander broke the wards. Chief Warder Harrax patted him on the back “Next time you will ask not assume.” Warder Rixer nodded. He understood the gentle rebuke for what it was.



After 20 minutes of Xander’s bolts destroying all the wards and shields put up all the warders were in there trying to stop the bolts. Jesse, Willow, and Xander were talking and Jesse was watching the building of the bolts. Nodding a few times to Xander and Willow, Jesse then built a strange ward that caused Chief Warder Harrax to stop what he was doing and motioned for the others to watch.



The first attempt saw the shield holding the longest of any of them before failing. Willow looked at him. “Ran out of energy.”



Jesse nodded. “Can't sustain the required energy.”



Willow looked at him, “Make it again.” As he did, she started to add to the ward and blended in a way to renew the energy.



Xander smirked to the side. “This will be fun”



The second attempt went much better with the shield holding and Chief Warder Harrax was coming over to have the new shield explained when he heard .“Ok Xander, your turn to break it.”



Xander smirked again. He looked at the shield then smirked, and the shield dissolved like it was never there. Jesse and Willow looked at what he had done and yelled. “How did you do that?”



Harrax looked at the trio in growing awe before saying. “We would like to see the finished shielding and damage when done. Also if possible to teach us the steps so others can add their thoughts.”



After Jesse and Willow went over to explain how to put up the shield one of the young interns looked at Xander. “You cut the link to the power source.”



Xander nodded. “The shield linked to a renewable power source, so the quickest way to down the shield was to destroy the link.”



Willow looked frustrated that he had destroyed her idea so quickly. Xander looked at her. “Don't make it so obvious that anyone could see it. You were not looking at it as a shield but a place to put a link. It must be a shield. The application was bigger than you were thinking and you didn't take into consideration all the consequences of your actions.” Everyone looked at Alexander and realized Guardian was speaking through him. “You must look beyond what you think you see to the effect overall and on everything. You are blinding yourself and your abilities by doing things that you do not think all the way through. I know Healer Rrarrack has mentioned this to you before. You are a young adult now, no longer a child. You must think beyond yourself and only yourself.”



Xander blinked looking at Willow. “Wills, please, for all of us. Start to think things all the way through. It is very important. Quick and easy is easily broken or can turn bad easily. Please, think of all the effects and consequences.”



Willow looked at Xander's face and realized there was more to it than that “Major?”



He nodded. “Major Majorly.”



Willow nodded looking sober. “I... I just want to help so much.”



Jesse looked at her. “It would be like closing the skin on a bleeding wound without checking for dirt or if an artery is torn or something is damaged.”



Willow nodded understanding that. Healer Rrarrack had been telling her to take more time and assess all the problems and with Xander telling her to or it would be 'Major Majorly Bad' she knew she had to, as well as worried about what would happen if she didn't. Xander may be her brother, but the guardian would take over in that case and she never wanted to have to hurt him to have to judge her. Jesse saw the look on her face and nodded in understanding. He knew he was to help keep Xander balanced with the humans so the Guardian did not become the main force of Xander. He had discussed the problem with some of the elders of the various clans. Guardians where feared and not understood. However, they were what helped keep everyone working together instead of everyone at war and wars within clans.





A week later at the town meeting everyone was gathered to discuss issues with the town. They were using the High School football field since the entire town had shown up.



Mayor Ray Henderson walked onto the platform created for this event. Looking around he motioned for silence and started “Tonight we are here to discuss the future and our plans for Sunnydale. As most of you know, we will be closing UCS at the end of the school year and next fall will open our new school. It will be a private college of a diverse student body. We have had many complaints from graduates the last two years about how behind the rest of the students they are and the new college will have many challenges. Due to our diversity and demanding students, we are above all the public schools and most of the private ones in the United States scholastically. That means that when we bring new students in there is a high likelihood that they will be very far behind what our children think is normal for their level.”



There was a buzz of talking through the area as the information was discussed.



“Will the new college bring in more humans or more realmers?”



“We are going to try for more humans than realmers at first because we are noticing that we are getting more realmers here just from word of mouth and the humans would soon be vastly outnumbered.”



“Why the concern about new humans?”



“We have requests for fifteen clans to move to Sunnydale within the next five years. Bringing a total of 10,000 new realmers. At this point, every human above the age of 12 would need to have three children every year for those five years and we would still not make the number of realmers that are moving in. That does not include realmers born from parents that are already here.”



Paul looked at them. “We are trying to keep the situation diverse and co-operative. Humans (Sorry humans but this is something we have noticed) like to feel they are equal at least in numbers, like any of us if they are outnumbered badly they start to go on the defensive. We want to make sure the humans stay feeling comfortable here, just like we want all clans to feel comfortable here.”



There was another buzz of chatter but many were nodding their heads in understanding. Larry stood up. “Why don't we try getting more young humans here? In the major cities, especially have many human children thrown away either into orphanages, foster care, or on the streets. Why don't we offer them a chance at a new life here?'



Leslie Sands stood up. “That is a good idea. And in some of the cities, the street children have seen realmers so they wouldn't be as huge as shock. We of the care group will look into that idea more.”



There was a buzz of conversation and more nodding and chattering. After a few more minutes, the meeting continued well into the evening finally stopping after 3 hours with more discussion needed. None of the names for the college got instant approval and the first time that Alexander said no in the Guardian's voice people realized the name needed serious thought. Another meeting was set for later. They had six months to get everything together. The California Board of Education was already waiting to get them accredited. The work of the high school and their tests scores were already the same as many of the colleges so they were not worried about the educational levels. That and they never wanted to have to come to Sunnydale again. The last group was still in therapy.