Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Chapter 6



Jess was in the living room watching TV and thinking about the upcoming school year. School started on Monday for the trio's sophomore year of high school and by what they knew the slayer would be arriving soon. The watcher was already here, talk about conceit of The Watchers Council, to think no one would pay attention. Why else would someone with The British Museum even think of a job as a high school librarian in Sunnydale? Especially one that required a work visa.



Hearing another burst of laughter Jess got up to see what the Xander was doing in the yard and who was with him. Jesse and Willow were both away visiting other realms for training; Xander's training with the Guardian's reached a point where he didn't go as often. Looking out the window, she swallowed quickly and went to the phone. “Hey Ray, um... could I borrow someone? ... Oh, just to let me know if I should worry about the dog Xander is playing with in the yard... Well, the fire from its eyes and stuff kinda has me worried. .. Great see you in a few.”



Tony came in from the kitchen and joined Jess at the window “Um...”



“Ray is coming over.”



“Should we ask Xander?”



Jess headed for the door “Hey Xander, where did the dog come from?”



Xander looked at her shaking the scruff of the dog and rubbing its head. “Oh, this cute little puppy? I found him nearby looking lonely.”



Jess looked at Xander and raised an eyebrow. He smiled back. “You and dad did say if we kept our grades up we could get a pet.”



Jess raised her eyebrows, “I'm sure the puppy's mommy is missing him.”



Xander looked at her. “He knows how to see her and she already came by to check on him.”



Ray and Eugene walked up to the house looking in the yard. Ray nodded to Jess. “Hey Jessica, Xander. Xander what a fine puppy?”



Xander beamed “Yeah Skarr here is great. You wouldn't believe how he sees things and looks through things. And Shella has stopped by a few times with some of the others.”



Ray looked at Xander. “Shella?”



Xander tossed something in the air and Skarr teleported over and caught it. Eugene moved next to Jess as Tony came onto the porch. Eugene whispered to Jess and Tony “Hellhound, Perfectly safe for the trio and you guys.”



Xander looked at Ray. “Yeah Skarr's mom. She’s really nice. Showed me what they prefer to catch and how to help train Skarr best.”



Tony yipped. “Hellhound! They eat people!”



Eugene frowned “No, they eat corrupted souls. They don't eat flesh. They may tear it apart for fun but not for food.”



Jess blinked. “Corrupted souls?”



Eugene smiled “Some clans have agreements with the hounds; they protect the children from predators. Let’s just say a molester would never get close to them. To the hounds, people that like hurting other people are their food of choice. So murderers, abusers, the more corrupted the soul the tastier to the hounds.”



Tony sighed in relief. “So very good guard dogs?”



Eugene. “Very, Very, good.”



“Buffy wake up – you’re going to be late for your first day of school.”



Down in the kitchen still being setup was an older woman making breakfast and worrying about the future for her and her daughter. When her daughter had burned down the gym of her old High School, she couldn't believe it. Her life seemed to unravel after that. Hank and her fighting more than finding Hank with his secretary. While Buffy was in the mental institute her losing her job because, “She didn't portray the correct image, what with her daughter being 'off'.”



Looking up at the ceiling again. “Buffy! Get up, we leave in ten minutes.”



Joyce Summers drank more of her coffee, the new job was a godsend and they had to move anyway with the divorce. 'The interviewing process for this job sure was weird. Met more strange people and the questions were more than they looked like. I still say that one person had antenna in her hair but there is no way. Hank would say that proves that Buffy's illness comes from my side if I told him I saw antenna in someone’s hair that wasn't obviously removable.'



Just then, the blond whirlwind known as her daughter comes into the room dressed like she normally would for school. Joyce nods at Buffy. “Ready?” Buffy grabs some toast and juice while nodding yes.



As they got closer to the school, both were looking a little unsure. “Um... must be costume day and no one said anything.” Buffy said as she watched a seven armed purple and mauve two headed five foot tall being walking with a couple human looking (except for one having antenna) and some other strange beings.



Joyce looked at Buffy and then at the “costume”. 'Yeah right, animation, some blue screen, but not kids walking to school. But Buffy isn't freaking out about it. She is more concerned about my seeing it than it being there. I wonder if this has anything to do with the burning of the gym.’



After dropping Buffy off at the school on “Costume day” snort, Joyce finished the drive to work. Looking around. ‘Gee Buffy; the town must dress up, 'There are more things between Heaven and Earth than ever dreamed about'.”



Joyce smiled at her boss, the owner of the Gallery, who introduced herself as “Chattlarack of Clan Mrrraa, but please call me Chatt.” After a few minutes finding out the six foot nine inch tall walking multicolor painting was a Pashra 'realmer' and what that really meant the conversation went better until Chatt looked at Joyce. “It must be hard being the mother of a slayer. We were most glad to see the Watchers Council had not taken your daughter from her home as they do most of the young ones to raise for fodder.”



Joyce looked at Chatt. “Slayer?”



Chatt's expression was clear to read even on a face that different in appearance. “Did she not explain about Slayer's and their Watchers that treat them like weapons?”



Joyce looked at Chatt. “No but I'm sure it has something to do with burning down a school gym.”



Chatt nodded. “Probably a problem her Watcher sent her in to fix alone. Would you like our version of the Slayer legend and information on her Watcher here so that you could ask him as well as your daughter on their version?”



“Version?”



Chatt smiled benevolently. “Dear, everyone has a version of truth that they see; some are more truthful than others. How we see Slayers depends on our clan’s history with them. How Watchers see Slayers is depending on how they feel about them and how the Slayers see themselves depends on what they think they know. The Watcher will be cleared of all influences before being allowed to continue near your daughter. The school will not allow the mind control they have on their Watchers near our youth. The children will help your daughter see more versions of the truth than she currently knows.”



Joyce smiled tightly at Chatt. “How about your version of the slayer first, and about this town because there is something very unusual here.”



Chatt nodded and for the next few hours Joyce and Chatt discussed the town, slayers, clans, prophecies, children that aren't and schools. By lunch Joyce was smiling at Chatt and asking for the best restaurants and if there was a guide for new humans to help them adjust. Chatt looked at her. “The new children have orientation and mentoring with older children.”



“Children?”



Chatt nodded. “A couple years ago we realized that our human population was not growing at the same rate of the realmers. Also there are many human children your world throws away. We started a program to bring some of the children from other cities that have thrown them away here and let them start over. It has helped us grow as well since we have found that our children's education levels are much advanced from the rest of the world we use it to help them connect to regular children and the children the advantages of living here. The program is only two years old and we have three hundred children here from other cities. These are children your systems will not help but we can.”



Joyce looked stunned. “So street children...”



Chatt nodded. “The throwaway children. How many parents each day throw away a child for a reason that could be solved? We do not take those that could not live here and abide by our ways. It is sad but even at a young age there are many children that hate is all their soul knows. They are not welcome here. The Guardian would not allow them to stay if they came.”



“Guardian?”



“As is his name, Guardian. They are what the Watchers were trying to create the slayer to imitate and wanted to control. The Guardian is not controlled.”



“So the Guardian is a protector, but with a mind of its own. Does the title move like it does for the Slayer? So if the Guardian dies another is called, and I am going to have a long talk with Buffy about this I can't believe she fell for the 'one girl in the whole world' nonsense.”



Chatt laughed. “No the Guardian is not the same. There is a clan of guardian's they are the main protectors, however, the Guardian is something else. He trained with the clan when we/they realized what he was but... You can tell when the boy is talking and when the guardian is talking. Though the boy is integrating himself and the guardian into one being.”



Joyce looked at Chatt. “Why do you think the creators of the slayers used girls?”



Chatt looked at Joyce. “Think of your own society. Look at your history. It is easy to see why they used a girl. It is also easy to see why the Watchers make sure they control the children. Even today most of the slayer children are not in your major countries.”



Joyce looked startled then resigned nodding her head.



Chapter 7



Principal Paul Rogers walked into the library at Sunnydale high and looked at Rupert Giles then nodded.



Giles looked at the principle. “Mr. Rogers, can I help you with something.”



Paul looked at Giles. “Yes you can. We have a problem that is easily solved. You know this is an institute with impressionable young minds?”



Giles nodded. “Well it is a High School.”



Paul smirked. “And if you knew of someone under controlling spells and modifiers what would you do?”



Giles looked startled and took his glasses off and grabbed his handkerchief to wipe them down. “Spells? That sounds like magic and we all know there is no such thing.”



Paul laughed out loud and two more individuals entered the room. Giles straightened looking at both of them. “Interesting costumes.”



Chief Warder Harrax and Healer Ssallaa laughed. “Come Mr. Giles, you know what we are. Just as we know you are a Watcher and your slayer will be starting here today.”



Giles started then looked at them closely, Harrax waved a hand and Giles nodded slowly. Paul looked at them. “The question Mr. Giles, is if you want to stay here all controlling, monitoring, and behavior spells need to be removed. Do you agree to have the spells removed or should we get some students to help you pack your office.”



Giles started to turn red, nod his head, shake his head, and look like he was in serious trouble. Ssallaa nodded at Paul. “He cannot answer; the spells are interwoven in a way to make it so he has very little free will left.”



Giles had a quick begging look on his face as he glanced at Ssallaa. “Ethan.” Was whispered then he jerked like a puppet on a string and fury crossed his face and he sneered. “Rayne is nothing but trouble”



Paul nodded at Ssallaa and Harrax and they started to work on clearing Giles of all the spells. Ssallaa put out a call and a few of the healing students as well as warding students came in to help including Willow and Jesse. It took over an hour to get the first level most controlling spells off him.



Giles looked around the library after they were done; he looked younger and more carefree as well as a hint of dark. Paul looked at him closely. “Hmm, Chaos Mage. That is a surprise. How the hell did you let the Watchers get a hold of you?”



Giles looked at Paul. “My father and a few of the others used their control of a few of my friends to call Ephyon. When that happened, those under their control was killed and they easily grabbed us. I got reprogrammed into the son father always wanted and to hate what I was and Ethan. Ethan was pushed farther into Chaos. I have to find him and the others. Have to break Ephyon's hold on us.”



“Ephyon is no longer a worry.” A strange voice said from the side of the room. Guardian looked at Giles “After we finish clearing you of spells we will help you find your friends and break the control but it must be done quietly and wards put in place so it does not happen again. Also you must realize the Watchers will realize if you do not play your game and you, your friends, your slayer, are all at risk until we can get everyone protected.”



Giles looked at Alexander. “I do not have a slayer. And my friends are more important.”



Alexander grinned. “Friends are the family you want. Yes they are important, but your slayer needs a lot of help.”



Giles shook his head. “No slayer would follow a me. They are trained for a specific mindset. Fodder for the game the watchers play for TPTB.”



Alexander smirked. “She was not council raised. And the game TPTB play is interesting, and if they were allowed to play it out the way it did last time... let us say there is a reason for it being stopped this time.”



Giles looked at Paul and raised an eyebrow. Paul looked at Alexander. “Xander. What does the Guardian mean?”



Alexander looked at Paul. “TPTB's game is what we played last time. All the way through and perfect balance was achieved. This time they have been sidetracked.”



Giles looked at Paul. “Something I should know?”



Paul looked at Alexander then returned Giles look. “Yes, but not now. School will be starting soon and from the signal I just got the slayer has arrived and needs processed.”



Giles looked sharply at Paul. “I see.”



Alexander than spoke up “We also seem to have a vampire in a cage underground who is gathering its childre. A few have came into town in the last few weeks and tried snacking. The eating hasn't been to their taste, they seem to end up with heartburn when they think about it. Nest is his name and he is master of the Aurelius line.”



He looked straight at Giles, Giles nodded. “After school then and we can bring the slayer along for the discussion.”



Alexander laughed. “I would be more worried about her mother. Her morning has started interestingly and Chatt is explaining things to her.”



Paul looked at Alexander. “Guardian is that wise?”



Guardian laughed and then the laughed changed to Xander’s more familiar tone. “Oh there will be many discussions. The slayer needs to be unprogramed; however, Mr. Rogers there will be issues. She will have many adjustments to make. Schooling wise she is below the level of many of our Cityers.”



Giles raised his eyebrow at the word Paul shook his head, Giles nodded in understanding that it would be explained that afternoon.