Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Chapter 8



“You must be Buffy.” Buffy whirled around at the voice and found herself facing a dark haired girl dressed similarly to her. The girl had a look on her face that was like she was seeing through Buffy and reading her intentions.



Buffy nodded her head. “Who are you?”



The brunette turned and took two steps then looked at Buffy. “I'm Cordelia Chase, Mr. Rogers has asked me to show you to Admissions and answer questions. He said you had been a cheerleader so we would have something to discuss.”



Buffy nodded. “Yeah I was a cheerleader at Hemphry High School in Orange.”



Cordelia nodded. “Didn't Hemphry place 15th overall during the last West Coast meet?”



Buffy nodded in surprise. “Yeah we did.”



Cordelia. “It was obvious that your team wasn't as trained in martial arts and gymnastics as the others but still did ok. If you plan on being on our team you will find that we alternate one hour a day during practice between martial arts and gymnastics.”



Buffy looked at Cordelia. “But wasn't tryouts already done? The school year started.”



Cordelia snorted. “Another thing to realize – this is Sunnydale. We do things differently here than what your used to. If you have questions ask, but everything is geared towards education and peace.” She looked sideways at Buffy. “I should say peace and education. As you can see we have many different realmers here.”



Buffy squeaked. “They are demons!”



Cordy looked at her like she was mental. “I said realmers. Demons are from a few hell dimensions that want to control others. Realmers are from all types of realms with are more like alternate dimensions.”



Buffy looked at her. “So they aren't dangerous.”



Cordy snorted again. “A mouse can be dangerous if cornered. Most are peaceful, and the police force here is more of a peacekeeping force. We have no real crime, however, anything smacking on hate crimes or prejudice is met with force. They also make sure no clan wars are started or something tries to take over the area. When you meet with Mr. Rogers he will explain everything. And before you think of it, believe me he has heard all the jokes. I even said some of them to him in elementary school.”



Buffy looked at Cordy in surprise. “So far he has pretty well traveled with us from elementary school. However, he will stay here when we hit college since Mr. Robertson is Dean of Sunnydale Academy or as we call it 'The Clan House'.”



“He traveled with you?”



Cordy laughed. “The old mayor was preparing for an ascension; the schools were the lowest in the state and getting worse. He was having the humans raised as sheep so when he ascended he would have a buffet waiting for him. Once we started to upgrade the schools and mix with the realmers most of the old teachers couldn't or wouldn't accept the change. Usually the first year to hit school caused the school to be reorganized within the first month. Right now SDH is not listed for the State of CA on tests because we blow the curve with our scores now. If our scores are used no school in CA is near us and believe me they don't want to think of more schools like SDH.”



Buffy looked shocked then depressed. “Great, no way for me to fit in.”



“You don't listen well do you? I said we do things differently here and everything is geared towards peace and education. You will be getting a few forms about likes and stuff to help place you and maybe some tests. Also after school today you will go with the Cityers and get the orientation guide and more orientation classes.”



“Cityers?”



“Yeah, kids from cities that threw them away. Parents abandoned or ran away due to home issues and still able to be open and live here. We have no drug problems, gang problems, or anything like that. The entire town is geared for helping everyone become the best they can regardless of the past.”



Buffy was looking at Cordy in shock and not really paying attention. “Wow” Cordy smirked and then looked at the women behind the desk. “Admissions, this is Buffy Summers.”



Admissions nodded handing Buffy a clipboard and some papers. Buffy kept looking at the head of Admissions and its twelve eyes, four noses, pointy ears and no mouth. She then looked at Cordy and saw she was talking with a multicolor painting that walked.



She slowly took the clipboard and the pen and set down to fill out the forms. 'Everyone says LA is strange, it has nothing on Sunnydale.'



Admissions looked over at Buffy with the third set of eyes narrowing and a wrinkle in her second nose.



Thirty minutes later Buffy was still working on the forms.’Why do they want to know about my interests and future plans. The questions about hobbies was interesting but strange. I haven't heard of Archeology in high school let alone Anthropology, Zoology, Paleontology and a few others.'



After a few more minutes Buffy looked over the papers again then took them up to Admissions. Admissions lifted her head and looked through Buffy before Buffy heard in her mind. “Admissions is an Archarra realmer. We are telepathic; your mind is not a nice place young one. I am surprised Guardian will allow you to stay. You have much to relearn.”



Buffy backed up to her seat in confusion. “Who is Guardian?”



Admissions looked at her. “The archetype of the slayer. But they wanted to control it. Guardian's cannot be controlled so they made the slayer that they could control.”



Buffy looked shaken. “The slayer was created to fight darkness.”



Buffy could hear Admissions and a few of the others around her laugh. “No, slayer was created as attack dog. Most that slayer sent after is peaceful, but has something they want. They use slayer to steal from others.”



Buffy sat down hard looking shaken. “But... But... That's not...”



Principal Rogers came out and looked at Buffy. “You will be meeting with your new watcher this afternoon. You have a lot to learn or you will be removed from Sunnydale. There is a non-violence pact on the town. We also have police officers that enforce that so there is no reason for you to hunt. In fact if you do there had better be a very good reason. Come inside Ms. Summers we have a lot to go over.”



Buffy shakingly got up and headed into the principal’s office. Sitting down across the desk from the principal he looked at her. “From your record I assume that there was a reason you burned down your old gym.”



Buffy nodded her head. “You know about the slayer? It was full of vamps and I had to stop them.”



Rogers nodded. “Understand, now you need to understand, here in Sunnydale all things like that are handled by our police force. You are a child and in most of our cultures the fact that the watchers are using a child would call for immediate death sentences on them. If you have dreams or anything inform your watcher who will inform us. This will be gone over in more detail after school with the meeting with the town leadership and your watcher. Right now we have a problem with your education. You place very low even for a Cityer. Your likes and goals for the future are ... well to be blunt dismal. You have no real goals or any thoughts for your future. Transferring your class lists from your old school to here I see you are a 'C' student whose main interest is cheerleading and partying. Well, we have a different system here as I'm sure Cordelia explained on the way in. If you maintain a 'B' or above average you can go to all cheerleading events. A 'C' average means you can only do one event a week and if you have lower than a 'C' in any class you will be on restriction that means you will be doing nothing with the club until your grades are back in line.”



Buffy just stared in shock at the principal. “So long as I keep a 'B' average, meaning I can have a couple 'C's if I have A's to balance.”



Rogers shook his head... “I guess I explained that wrong. Your lowest grade can be a B and you remain on the team. If you have one C and rest B's you have one semester to bring it all back up. Also, we understand your not up to our normal classes so the classes would be more in line with what your used to if we have an equivalent or the closest we have. However, we need you to start thinking about your future so we can start tailoring your education to help you the most.”



Buffy looked startled. “Future... I’m a slayer there is no future” Shaking her head at Rogers frown “Also why worry about that now – I mean, I'm just a sophomore in high school and I still have three years here and college.”



Rogers looked at Buffy intently. “I guess you weren't informed that Sunnydale is one of the top schools in the nation. We are classified a private school though all residents of Sunnydale attend it. We also feed directly into Sunnydale Academy. Your mother will have a lot of input into your classes and future we find it best when parents and students work together for goals. That also allows us to stop parents that have goals that would not be great for the students. Take Larry for example. His father thinks football is all he should think about. Larry however excels at math and loves law. Working with both his parents and him we were able to work out a balance so if Larry has an injury and can't play pro football he has something to fall back on... or that’s how we explained it to Chuck when in reality Larry wants to be an lawyer but will play football for his father.”



Buffy just looked at Rogers stunned imitating a fish. A quick flash of a look crossed Rogers face before he shook himself. “Ok, we will sign you up for career education every day from 10am – noon for the next semester. That means you will be trying something new each week ‘til you find something you like. As for your other classes, we have basics in math and English. Also beginning biology and we will need to test you for gym since your slayer abilities should come into play there.”



Rogers finished filing out the forms on his computer and sent it to the printer. A few minutes later Admissions enters with the printout of Buffy's schedule. Handed the printout to Rogers who scanned it then handed it to Buffy. “Here is your schedule. Since its 9:30 you can go to basic English. Jacob in there can show you were the career class is this week. After school meet in the Library to discuss the slayer stuff and meet your watcher.”



Buffy just looked at the principal in shock before nodding and heading out the door. After she left Admissions looked at Rogers. “The girl will be problems. She would normally not be allowed here.”



He nodded. “I don't know how much Guardian is allowing her to stay because of the old timeline or what; there was comments about friends in the old timeline but looking into that girl... I have a hard time believing she would allow anyone near her she couldn't control.”



Admissions looked questioning. “Maybe it is another reason.”



Chapter 9



After classes ended for the day a group was heading to meet in the library to discuss the slayer and how that would interact in Sunnydale. As they were heading there Xander fell into step with Mr. Rogers outside his office with Admissions and Jesse not far behind. Paul tilted his head letting Xander know that he was listening. “Sometimes the best observations can be done by not mentioning things and letting personalities play out. Yes there is a reason she is allowed to stay. And maybe some of our uniqueness should not be mentioned. Power is after all a great draw, for many people. If people forget and only think of things in the lines of power there is much missed.”



Jesse looked around. “And Willow is one that will miss much.”



Xander’s tear laced eyes looked at Jesse “I hope Willow will not follow her footsteps from last time. Darla is dead, along with Luke and soon Nest. I will not have to kill the vampire you this time my brother.”



Jesse nodded turning white. “And the reason you tortured her so much before death.”



“That was two-fold my brother. For your death is her first major crime, then in five years she is brought back to bring Angel in line, and delivers a child of his.”



Paul and Admissions stop and look at Alexander. Jesse turns to his brother. “The magic laws that violates, the problems it creates.”



Alexander looked at Jesse. “Armageddon. The Destroyer was born and with him the pissants were able to try and bring forth many different prophecies including peace on the world. And Cordelia paid the price for this in mind, body, and soul. ‘Til the world was destroyed and I saw her again in the playground I thought that the soul of her destroyed beyond all possibilities of return.”



Paul looked at Alexander and waited for Alexander. “We need to see how it plays. I am sorry that there will be some problems. I will be watching and many future events already will not happen because of the changes. Others will play differently. However, some must be tested. With the known weaknesses if they fall, they will always fall. D'Hoffryn changed my father so he was still able to become an alcoholic but moved his trigger back some. At any point he could have become the Tony Harris I grew up with. He however, has withstood the temptations presented and remained strong. I am hoping others can as well.”



Jesse breathed softly. “Willow.... you worry about Willow.”



Alexander was looking at the wall when he nodded his eyes seeing something only he could see. “With your death tomorrow in the old timeline I was too weak to end her the many times I should of.”



Paul looked at Alexander. “There is stuff not on those tapes isn't there.”



Alexander still looking at the wall nodded. “The tapes are highlights. The information on them does not represent everything. How can two hours of tape cover nine years of life?”



Admissions looked scared; she was watching Alexander and shaking her head at what she was seeing. Jesse and Paul both put their arms on her to help stabilize her. Alexander looked at her. “Sometimes seeing what I know is worse than not knowing. I think I need to work with you brother on shields. Admissions will need help, I am sorry you saw that there is much I am hoping to change.”



Admissions nodded while looking pale. “For a brother to kill a sibling is not a simple undertaking. And you already had to kill one; I do not envy you your lives for each you have more pressure than you should.”



Alexander looked at Admissions. “Maybe that is why Guardian is more in the front ground this time? Maybe so I can do what needs to be done without losing myself. If Xander had done what he needed last time? Both Buffy and Willow would not have lived through high school. He would have to have destroyed them. Both broke before graduation while Willow's was minor at that time it started her process and cemented in her mind her thoughts in such a way she never could learn otherwise.”



“So Guardian will just be a generic name with no mention of who – but Willow will know and say something.”



Alexander snorted. “How much has Willow really paid attention to Guardian? Very rarely does he say anything in her presence anymore for a reason. He has tried to guide her many times but she still won’t listen. And she feels that Guardian is just a possession of mine. Not real, but an extra memory with no powers or abilities. She has no real knowledge of Guardian. The healers need no real understanding of Guardian for they are peaceful.”



“But she knows you can do the bolts. She knows how dangerous you can be.”



“Does she? How long since I have done anything like that. Two years? A little over that. I hope she does not fall this time.”



Jesse stared at Xander a heartbroken look on his face. Xander returned Jesse's look and had tears in his eyes. Paul and Admissions nodded in understanding.