Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Chapter 10



Across campus a small group was sitting at the picnic benches and going over homework assignments and what was review as well as setting up that afternoons tutoring sessions. Buffy approached the bench and looked around spotting Willow and came up to her smiling. “Hi, I'm Buffy.”



Willow smiled and reached her hand out. “Willow and these are Crystal and Cheryl.”



Buffy took and shook her hand while smiling at her without looking at the other two “I heard that you were able to help us with homework.”



Willow nodded. “We are setting the sessions for tonight’s study groups right now. Which ones are you going to need help in?”



Buffy groaned. “All of them.”



Willow blinked. “Um... I don't think you have 48 classes so I need a little more information than that.”



Buffy looked startled then handed Willow her schedule. Willow nodded. “You have a meeting in the Library in,” glances at her watch “ten minutes than going with Cheryl to Haven for Orientation right?”

Buffy nodded. Willow just glanced at the schedules. “Ok, starting at 5:30 we have the basic open study group at Haven and orientation should be over by then so just wait around and we will work on it.”



Buffy smiled at Willow brightly and headed back into the school to head to the library. Willow looked at her frowning when Cheryl said to Crystal. “You know, it’s always funny when a new Cityer tries to smarm a Daler.”



Crystal nodded “Yeah, takes them a while to realize that Dalers have no idea about fake faces and actually don't pay attention to them.”



Willow looked quickly to Cheryl and Crystal with a question in her eyes. Crystal looked back at her. “She was wanting to get you alone as a study partner, probably to “help” her do her homework. She paid no attention to Cheryl or I.”



Willow frowned. “Oh great, someone wanting something that they really don't understand.”



Cheryl and Crystal looked at each other and nodded, sometimes it took a Cityer to know a Cityer. And a lot of the time the Dalers were too caught up in other things to think of things like the fame game in city schools. There were no real “in” or “out” groups in Sunnydale, they were all “in”, out was not in Sunnydale. That isn't to say there were different ideas and interests. In fact because everything was open there were more than their old schools. However, everything was welcome and no group was totally separated out from the others like they were used to from the City schools.





Buffy opened the door into the Library and paled. There next to the principal was her mother and another man. Looking around the room she noticed many different types of demons as well as some humans and other kids, including the girl who had met her at the entrance. Buffy walked in a bit further letting the door close behind her.



Looking at her mom. “Mom what are you doing here?”



Joyce looked at her daughter. “Why meeting your watcher? Where else would I be?”



Buffy paled even more “uhhh...” before she could make more than sound the door opened behind her and Willow walked in smiling at everyone. Looking around she went over to the other students.



Buffy looked around. “All this for a meeting?”



Giles looked at Buffy and frowned. He saw some of the problems already, while she may not be council trained she had a lot of the attitude of superiority that the Watchers like to put in their slayers, it makes the slayers less liked by others and more likely to “Lone Ranger” it than work with others.



Principal Rogers looked around. “Everyone is here or represented so we can begin. Buffy you know your mother and this is our Librarian Rupert Giles who also works for The Watchers Council. I know you know who they are. In the green is Leslie Sands, Social worker and representing the Realmer Clans, Chief Warder Harrax and Healer Ssallaa representing the main teaching and support for the town.”



Buffy looked at Giles with anger and betrayal in her expression. “I'm the slayer how could you tell them all that and get their support. That is against what a Slayer is.”



Joyce looked at Buffy and coldly stated. “Buffy Anne Summers who do you think you are and how dare you take that attitude.”



Buffy looked at Joyce. “I'm the Slayer.”



Cordy snorted then looked at Xander then Buffy. “That attitude is what caused you to free a Serial Killer and not stake him because you “Loved” him. That allowed over 150 people to be killed.”



Buffy turned at Cordy and looked at her in horror. Giles noted that most looked briefly at a boy he had been introduced to as “Alex” or “Xander” before looking at Cordy.



“In case that doesn't sink through. We are in a redo, this is our last chance, and your attitude is the reason. You helped cause the end of the world, you happy. Demons won because of you and your attitude. And I don't mean Realmers I mean True Demons came back and took over the Earth. We were the bottom of the food chain, Vamps and Realmers were above us and they were wiped out as well as us.”



Buffy looked at her shaking her head no... Eyes and face pleading for her to stop and it not to be true. Cordy looked at her. “So let me make sure you understand. You will learn. The superiority complex will stop and you will work as a team or you will die. If the Guardian doesn't take you out I will myself because I will never again be used by a true demon as a mode of transport into this plane and destroy my friends.”



Buffy ran out of the library crying. After she left Joyce was looking shocked and a little unstable. “Destroyed the world?”



Cordy turned and hit Xander. “Why didn't you tell me I had done that. I said you could talk through me but ... What else do you know that could affect me that majorly?”



Xander looked at Cordy slowly then a surprised expression crossed his face as he reached for his cell phone. “Hey Dad, Just want to make sure of something, Every Officer in the company has their tax statements on record right? ... Yeah, can you make sure the Chases are there. .... Yeah Dad kinda. ... Um… Ok, yeah there was a reason but adds more questions now. Ok Thanks will explain at dinner.”



Cordy looked over at Xander reached grabbing his phone and hitting the speaker function “Mr. Harris this is Cordy, would it be a terrible inconvenience if you had company for dinner.”



Tony Harris's laugh could be heard over the speaker before he spoke “Maybe you guys should call Jess or me back in a few with how many extra for dinner? We can BBQ.”



Xander looked at Cordy as he answered his father “Thanks dad.” Closing the cell phone “are you happy now?”



Cordy looked at Xander “I will be after you explain during dinner.”



Xander rolled his eyes while Jesse and Willow laughed loudly. Xander looked over at Giles and Joyce. “You guys want to come as well and we can just do an informal get together? More a get to know you?”



Both Giles and Joyce nodded their acceptance. Then Rogers looked at Xander. “Why did you tell her that.”



Xander looked at Rogers and you could see the shift. Everyone straightened as the voice of the Guardian spoke from Xander. “Looking at her even her watcher saw the problems. It had to be broken before it got bigger and on her own she will not break it. She likes the power. In truth the only reason she is allowed in Sunnydale is because Alexander is hoping she can change. I do not see it. After seeing her today and reading her I wanted her destroyed immediately. However, this is her one chance. I allowed part of her previous future known to show her the problem with her attitude.”



A quiet voice near the door asked. “I'm really evil then?”



Guardian looked at Buffy. “You do not worry about those you hurt? You do not worry how to solve it? You only worry about a concept you do not even understand?”



Buffy flushed. “I would never hurt anyone.”



To the side Cheryl snorted. “Thought I would see what is going on, and yeah you would Buffy. You do it without thought. When you met Willow, you were so focused on bringing Willow to your side you totally ignored Crystal and me. You were a cheerleader at Hemphry, how often did you tell people they were stupid or cut people down because you felt they weren't as good as you? If you felt the person wasn't worth much would you put the effort into helping them? Or would you allow them to be hurt and figure it wasn't your problem?”



Buffy paled looking at Cheryl, Cheryl nodded looking at Buffy. “I'm a Cityer it means I know the games you played. The Dalers don't because they destroyed that system, there is no “in” crowd or “out” crowd, there are students. And I have to say I learned more since I came here than I would ever in NY. At my old school survival was key, if the drugs don't get you the gangs would. Your attitude is like a lot of the gang kids. They feel superior because they are in a gang. All it does is get them killed faster.”



Buffy looked at Xander. “Why?”



Guardian looked at her. “Your one chance to change. If you do not you will be killed as a threat to humanity. And Slayer, I do not mean a fake face. Like admissions I read people. Admissions wanted to bathe many times after she looked at your mind, what does that tell you Slayer?”



Buffy whimpered, “I need a lot of work.” Joyce went over to her daughter and wrapped her in a hug.



Guardian nodded. “Your mother has walked both sides of the fence. She allowed the prestige of her old life to guide her too much, she is working on making herself into a better person and can help but you will change.”



Guardian switched back to Xander as he frowned, Jesse looked over. “He change the plans on you?”



Xander nodded. “What he saw in Buffy... It was worse than I had thought.”



Joyce held her daughter as her daughter started shaking hearing Xander’s words. Joyce looked at Xander. “How bad? How much time, it’s not going to be fast.”



Xander looked at Joyce sadly. “Mrs. Summers ... I ... Last time you were the mother of the group. Jesse died tonight to Darla, My parents were drunks and Willows were either gone or trying to get us killed. This time my parents are whole. They can help parent the group and give Buffy another family to lean on. It won’t be easy and time means different things to Guardian than it does to you and me. Giles is whole this time, that will help a lot and once his friends get here it will be another support group for Buffy....”



Xander trailed off trying to think of how to word the next part and everyone figured that out quickly, he took a deep breath. “Buffy grew up a Cali Princess with all that entails. Most of which is an airhead that only thinks of herself. It is also using anyone and everyone to get what you want and not care about the “little” people. You yourself saw the consequences of your old lifestyle when you were no longer in the “in” crowd.” With that Joyce had closed her eyes in pain hugging Buffy tightly.



Xander looked at Joyce. “If Buffy wasn't a Slayer this would never be an issue, it would be your and her choice. However, Buffy is a Slayer. And while she will not have the hunt/die life of a normal Slayer her life here will be like a normal kid. However, it will not be like it was before she was called. It cannot be. I hate to say it but she is in a situation where she needs to adapt or die. If she cannot change she is a threat to others and that is not allowed.”



Joyce nodded in understanding and in her arms so did Buffy. Xander looked at Cordy. “Why don't we do the BBQ on Friday?”



Cordy looked at him then over to Buffy before nodding. “Sure Xander, potluck style? I will let mom and dad know.”



Xander looked at all the adults in the room then looked straight at Giles mouthing. “Seven PM tonight my place”. Giles nodded in understanding. Xander looked at Rogers to see if he got the message and he nodded. With that Xander, Jesse, Willow, and Cordy left the room. Cheryl turned and left just after them followed quickly by the others in the room with Joyce and Buffy leaving next to last with Giles closing up his office and walking them out.



Chapter 11



Buffy looked out the window of the car on the drive home but couldn't see anything but the words Guardian had said to her. Looking back over her life she thought about what she had and what she was now. Was being a Slayer worth it? The responsibility was more than she knew. Why did her watcher side with the others, didn't he understand he was suppose to be there for her and only her.



“Because he was doing it for your own good. Or would you prefer to be dead without knowing why?” Joyce said quietly.



Buffy whipped around to look at her seeing the car was parked in their driveway. Joyce looked at her. “Yes you said the last part aloud about your watcher. Let’s go inside and get some snacks and talk.”



Buffy looked at her mom. “I will just go to my room mom. I need to think.”



Joyce snorted. “Yeah but not alone, you just proved how your thought process went. Immediately looking to blame someone else. You do realize that before you got to school this morning they removed a bunch of controlling spells that had been on Giles.”



Buffy looked at her mom with wide eyes and then started to get out of the car and head into the house.



“But he’s a Watcher. He shouldn't have told them I was coming or who I was. A slayer is alone against the creatures of darkness.”



“Bullshit.”



“MOM!!!”



“You know what a Slayer is by realmer definition. Cannon Fodder. The Watchers set the slayer up to just be cannon fodder.”



“No, no, that’s not true. I am special. No one can do what I do.”



Joyce started making hot chocolate and grabbed some snacks. “Buffy, who told you, you alone were the only protection of this planet.”



A quiet. “Merrick.”



“Who is Merrick?”



“My former watcher.”



“So Merrick was in the fight with you?”



“No Merrick didn't fight, he just told me where and I would go there.”



“So you were fully trained by Merrick and could take on things you could handle without problems.”



“No, he sent me out and I got hurt but healed.”



“Is that someone who really cared about you?”



“But he was my Watcher.”



“You didn't answer. If you had a child you were overseeing, would you send them into a life-threatening situation without backup and no training? Grab some chips from the pantry and let’s move into the living room.”



After they were seated in the living room. “You didn't answer Buffy. Would you send a child into a life threatening situation without backup and training?”



Buffy looked into her mug. “No”



Joyce just sat back and waited while sipping her chocolate.



“When he told me I was special and the only one in the world I felt so good. Some of the girls were better Cheerleaders than me, and some more popular but this made me the only one. The power I felt going through my body and the thoughts had a reason now.”



Joyce nodded. “When I went to the gallery this morning I talked with the owner. Her name is too long for me to remember but she had me call her Chatt. She told the history of the slayer from the point of view of the realmers. She also made the statement that there is many sides of truth, depending on who you listen to. Merrick may be trying his best to be a good watcher. However, that may not make him the best for taking care and mentoring a functional young woman. If slayers don't live that long after they are called there is no reason to worry about future plans are there? I remember when you used to talk about modeling and trying to be a model. Do you still dream of it?”



Buffy was looking into her cup. “I'm the Slayer.”



Joyce looked at her. “So, do you still dream of being a model, then going on to design high fashion clothes?”



Buffy looked at her mother. “Most of my dreams deal with monsters. Since I was called at first I saw the past slayers and what their fights were like and then since gym it has been them and all they did.”



Joyce looked sharply at Buffy. “So you only have nightmares in one form or another right now.”



Buffy nodded. “Except in the institute on the drugs. Merrick said it was normal. Said it was to help train me.”



“Bullshit. I will talk with Giles about that. No one can live on nightmares. I am beginning to understand why the Realmers hate the Watchers so much.”



“Well they are demons.”



“Explain.”



“Well Watchers are good and Demons are Evil and Realmers are just a fancy word for Demon.”



“How do you figure Watchers are good?”



“They stop demons.”



“Do you know what Chatt was telling me? She was talking about the time 20 years ago a slayer went into a village in South America. The Demons as you call it hadn't been outside it in centuries, totally pacifist. However, the Slayer went into their village and wiped out every last one of them, even the newborn. You know why? Greed. The village had a lot of gold and artifacts from the Inca's. So the Watchers sent their slayer in to destroy the demons.”



“But that’s the demons view – I'm sure the watchers had reason.”



“Buffy. If they weren't violent, not hurting anyone, never would because of their beliefs how are they evil and the Watchers good? The Watchers wanted what they had and used the “all demons evil” philosophy and their slayer to destroy a pacifist village. Buffy in case it escapes you pacifist don't believe in violence in any way even self-defense. They were slaughtered for their gold and artifacts not for any higher goal.”



Joyce sighed. It was going to be a long night and she needed to talk to Giles about the nightmares. “Buffy, I need to call Giles and see what we can do about the nightmares. Why don't you think on what we talked about and what you heard today and I will be back to discuss with you later.”



Buffy nodded silently then headed up to her room. Her mind already running in circles with the information from that day.



Joyce moved into the kitchen and called Giles.