Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


This is still very much a work in progress. But I thought you guys might appreciate it.

Part of the Alejandro DiNozzo 'Verse.

Hogwarts Job Fair

April 4 2006

Xander eyed the faux wall that led to Platform 9 3/4 sourly. "Why am I here again?" Xander had worn all black that day in concession to England's much colder spring weather in comparison to Miami. Black boots, jeans and a turtleneck underneath a knit sweater and leather jacket; practical and casual. The dark cloths and the subtly feral aura around him had people subconsciously skirting him, as their instincts told them the vaguely irritated man was a predator of the truest sort.

"Because we need more researchers without poaching from The Council, because we like them." Tara answered him distractedly as she busily searched through her purse. "We've had twenty research heavy cases in the last three months." She wore practical flats, a long, subtly patterned green and gray dress; though with tights underneath; and a slightly loose purple and blue sweater.

Xander sighed and ran a hand through his longish black hair. "Right. So we ready to go now?"

"As soon as I find our tickets." Tara said before triumphantly pulling out a thick manila envelop. "And here we are."

Xander nodded and started pushing their cart of luggage towards the faux wall. "So were's this... thing being held? You did say it wasn't the Watchers hosting right?"

"The British Wizarding Ministry is hosting the Job Fair at Hogwarts, a magic school. There's a pamphlet." Tara pulled out the afore mentioned item and handed it to a distracted, and lightly scowling Xander as they strolled through the illusionary wall and onto the platform.

Xander took a sweeping look around before pulling out and putting on a pair of sunglasses. "It's not right for it to be so bright so late." Xander grumbled.

"You're still thinking like we're in Miami. Come on, we don't want to miss the train." Tara said as she poked Xander in the arm.

"Taking a train to Hogwarts of all places." Xander shook his head and started pushing their cart towards the train again. The next several minutes were lost in the shuffle of settling into a compartment with their luggage. Xander read through the pamphlet thoughtfully as they were joined by a thin old man with startlingly pale eyes and a deceptively frail frame, and a slightly overweight middle aged man with flame red hair and a generally hen-pecked air.

Xander gave them a nod of acknowledgment and a sweeping gaze from behind his sunglasses when each entered the compartment and took their seats across from them. A slightly uncomfortable silence descended upon the group as they waited for the train to disembark.

Tara finally broke the silence, "What did you mean?"

"Hmm?" Xander hummed distractedly as he read through the BS that boarding schools the universe over seemed to spew in their pamphlets.

"About taking a train to Hogwarts? You said it as if it were odd."

Xander looked at her curiously for a moment before he gave a rather sardonic little smile. "Sorry about that, I'm just having a bit of trouble fixing 'Hogwarts' and 'trains' into the same line of thought."

Tara looked at him thoughtfully before smiling, "You've been there before."

"A very long time ago." Xander snorted in amusement and handed back the pamphlet. "I don't think we'll find anyone."

"Xander! We've barely even left the station and you're already being cynical." Tara gently admonished.

"From what I've seen and hear the European wizards isolate themselves from the rest of humanity a great deal, not to mention what we saw at Diagon Mar... Alley. Do you think any of the wizards we've seen so far would be able to handle Miami? The land of plastic surgeons?"

Tara frowned and nodded slowly. "I see you're point, but still, we might get lucky. We really do need more help."

Xander sighed and nodded reluctantly. "I know, but that doesn't mean I like it." With a sigh he turned to the two men across from them. "Hi. So how longs the ride there?"

"Several hours. You're American?" The red-headed man asked curiously.

"All the bad habits included," Xander quipped.

Before more could be said, the door to their compartment slid open and showed a tall blond man with a disdainful expression that worsened as he saw the occupants. "My, my, isn't this typical. Already making nice with the muggleborn Weasley?" the man sneered as the now scowling man.

Xander frowned and looked over at Tara, "'Muggleborn?' What's that?"

Tara sighed, "A 'muggle' is a non-magical human, so a witch with 'muggle' parents is a 'muggleborn'."

Xander arched an eyebrow at the interesting slang. "Huh. Interesting." He turned back to look at the arrogant blond. "Sorry, you got that wrong. I'm not a witch. So therefore not a 'muggleborn.' Sorry blondie."

"Of course not, you would be a wizard, boy." The man sneered at the impudent man sitting before him.

Xander's eyebrow climbed higher, "Unless the meaning of 'wizard' has changed a great deal in the last seven hundred years, I'm not one of those either."

"Excuse me Mr. Malfoy; I need to take roll of this compartments occupants." A young mans voice broke in from just out of sight.

Xander noticed with interest that 'Weasley' stiffened at the voice.

Malfoy sneered and moved aside to allow the entrance a self-important young man with the same flame red hair and a strong resemblance to the middle aged man. "Please, state you're name and occupation."

Xander gestured to the old man sitting across from him to begin as 'Weasley' stiffen even more in outrage.

"XXX ((Can anyone tell me his first name?)) Ollivander. Wandmaker, Owner and Proprietor of Ollivanders." the old man stated calmly.

"Arthur Weasley. Head of Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Department of the Ministry of Magic." Arthur managed to choke out through his anger.

"Tara McKay. Researcher for Hyena Paladin Consulting." Tara gave the young man a shy smile and ducked her head at the looks her answer got. Showing the shyness that she hadn't managed to completely shake.

"You work for Hyena Paladin Consulting?" Malfoy sneered in disbelief. "The most prestigious magical consulting firm in the world?" The man's voice dripped disbelief.

Xander scowled at the man, "That's what she said."

"And you, sir?" The young man broke in importantly. "You are?"

"Alejandro DiNozzo, Owner and founder of Hyena Paladin Consulting." Xander introduced himself blandly.

"You expect me to believe that you, a mere boy, are Alejandro DiNozzo? One of the premiere demonologists in the world?"

"Really? I'm premiere? That's new." Xander smirked.

"Sir, can you prove who you are?" the young man broke in.

"Will my passport do?" Xander asked as he pulled it from his jackets inner pocket and handed it over. He watched with interest as the young man pulled out a wand and cast what he assumed to be some sort of spell to confirm that it was real.

"Everything looks in order." The young man gave a general nod, and swept out of the compartment.

Xander shook his head and handed the pamphlet back to Tara. "Looks about like I expected. Lee* has more of a chance of getting married, than us of finding someone."

"You're too cynical." Tara chided gently as she took Xander's lead and ignored the others in the compartment.

"Tara from what I've seen and heard the European wizards have no idea what's going on outside of their little world."

"Then why did you agree to come then?" she asked in exasperation.

"You mean besides the infinitesimal chance that we'll actually find another researcher?" Xander smiled slightly at Tara's nod. "To check and see how the old rock is fairing of course."

Tara gave him a hard look before sighing and dropping the subject for the moment. Xander, she well knew, never did things for just one reason and getting even half of them out of him when he was being closed mouthed was impossible.

It was one of his more exasperating traits, though it was also what made him so trustworthy.


*Refers to Leander's current incarnation Dean Winchester.