Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Families

By danu40k

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

&&&&&

Xander,

Thanks for letting me celebrate Samhain with family. It really did help me. It was nice to finally get to know my parents.

We finally had our debate. While the guys and I had the law on our side, the girls had the right so this was a hard debate. The girls actually won the argument, but I think that that is because we really didn’t have our hart into it since we agreed with the girls.

I know we talked about it when we were together, but I really would like to see better laws for the non-humans.

We talked to Hagrid about this, and he said that the laws were part of the reason there were bad relations between the Centaurs and the Ministry. He said it was the same with the Goblins.

Dobby just wants oversight, so that Master’s can’t overly abuse the Elves.

Runes are getting interesting. The other day we were studying the Rune-Spells that Boudica used against the Romans during their war. Ron was going over the fights with Mr. Woodard to see about the battles and how they happened.

Mr. Woodard took us into a side room and set up a map and then showed us the battle as they knew it from history.

Ron was thrilled and asked if he could borrow the map. Mr. Woodard said no, but set up some extra time with Ron to run through battles and strategy and tactics of history.

I figure it would be a great gift if we could get Ron one of those magical contour maps.

Christmas is coming up soon and Mr. Montgomery has us learning the things we need to know for the Christmas parties we will have to go to.

Lots of dancing and etiquette lessons as well as current politics so that we know what is going on enough to talk to others.

We’ve also been talking Rank. While Ron and the Weasley’s didn’t have much Rank, they do now because their father is an Under-Minister and their Mother is on the Board of Governors. That combined with their old family line means that they have a higher Rank now. It also means that they are expected to go to the Minister’s Ball. Ron says that they are debating on if they should take one of the kids with them. Probably Ron since he is the one who has been in these classes with me. Maybe even Ginny. Definitely Percy; the suck-up. But the twins aren’t even in the running, much to their relief.

Could you see what would happen if the twins came? Mayhem.

Ever since you told us that you would be pulling us out of school at the end of November to have Thanksgiving, Hermione has been talking about the history of the holiday. Going on and on about the thought of giving thanks for something and how we should have a day when we should be doing this.

You asked about Dumbledore. He seems tired. Before you couldn’t guess his age, but now he looks real old.

He seems to be spending more time in the infirmary than before as well.

People are starting to worry that he might not be around much longer. That if he goes, who will take over? McGonagall? Who would take her place?

Hopefully you guys on the Board of Governors will figure it out.

Love Harry.

&&&&&

Xander read the letter to the others, a slight grin on his face as he thought of Hallie’s gift to Dumbledore.

The nightmares and pain he must be feeling as he relives Harry’s life with the Dursley’s time and time again.

&&&&&

Xander was in a panic. It would be his first Thanksgiving with Harry, and he was trying to oversee everything.

The House Elves had banished him from the kitchen yet again, telling him that they had everything under control.

That left him with the other so called adults in the Manor. Sirius and Remus.

“Relax Xander, everything will be ok.” Remus said from his seat in the library. He and Sirius were playing Wizard Chess, with Sirius losing, again.

In order to get away from the game Sirius looked at Xander and said; “Hey it’s Wednesday afternoon right? So why not go to the school and get the kids?”

Xander looked hopeful for a moment, and then sagged his shoulders. “It’s not time yet. Their still in classes. “

“So? Just head over there and check the place out. We can show you around the place and maybe actually talk to the teachers to see how the kids are doing instead of just getting the letters.” Sirius replied.

Remus nodded his head after giving up on the game. “If we do it right we can check on Dumbledore as well. See how Hallie’s punishment is doing.” He said as he finished putting the game away.

Xander checked the time again. Then headed over to the floo.

Throwing some floo powder into the fire he called out for Molly Weasley.

Once she answered, Xander asked if she wanted to join them. “After all it wasn’t a big deal to have two of the members of the board show up to see things for themselves.” He said with a grin.

She quickly approved and it was a short time later that she came through the floo to join them.

&&&&&

They flooed to the Three Broomsticks, and walked from there up to the castle. Xander had been there before when he had picked up Harry from Hogsmead to go to Samhain. This, however, would be the first time that he had seen the castle.

He was nervous about going through the Forbidden Forest. He could not figure out why a dark forest was surrounding a school. He knew there wasn’t much separating the Forbidden Forest from Darkwood Forest. Darkwood was just a few miles on the other side of the Quidditch Pitch. The Forbidden Forest ended about a mile from Darkwood and it wouldn’t take much to reconnect them. Then there would be problems. Big problems. Something he needed to talk over with Dumbledore, but at the same time, he in no way, wanted to talk to the man.

They soon came to a clearing and Xander got his first glance of the Castle. And yes, in his mind it was in capitals.

It was huge, and everything he thought a Magical Castle should look like. With it’s high towers and the various banners overhead. Sirius told him that all the major families from the Founders time had a banner here, including those families that were no longer around.

They came across Hagrid as he held class for the upper years. Xander paused to look at the Bicorn. Asking several questions about it before moving on.

By this time word had gotten out that they were on their way to the castle and Dumbledore was awaiting them.

“Welcome to Hogwarts. May I show you to my office?” Dumbledore asked them. Harry was right, Xander thought. Dumbledore most definitely does not look good. There was no twinkle to his eyes. His shoulders looked like it was only determination that held them up. And he walked slower than he used to.

“Actually, we are here for a bit of a tour before I grab the kids for Thanksgiving.” Replied Xander.

“Ah yes, Thanksgiving. A wonderful holiday you Americans have come up with. Perhaps, with the Boards approval, we can share in this holiday next year.” Dumbledore continued as he showed them up to his office. Sirius and Remus slowing the pace down so that they could point out interesting things.

Once in the office, Dumbledore conjured several more chairs so that everyone had a seat.

“Tea? Cookies? Lemon Drops?” Dumbledore asked as he pointed out the various goodies he had had the Elves bring up.

Xander, being the “oh so paranoid around the Headmaster,” chose to ignore these, while the others each had some tea and cookies.

“Now then, what would like to talk about?” Dumbledore asked as he once more tried to entice Xander into the tea or the sweats.

Xander shrugged while Remus answered; “Xander has never been here before and we thought that since we were coming here to pick up the Weasleys, Harry, Hermione, and Neville, we would come a bit early and look around. Talk to some of the teachers, that sort of thing.”

“Molly came to also check on things, and to keep us out of trouble.” Xander added much to Molly’s embarrassment. “Besides, she wanted to check up on the twins. They have been awfully quiet so far.” Xander continued with Molly nodding her head and asking Dumbledore for a full report on the twins.

An hour, and full reports on each of the children later, Dumbledore had Harry, the Weasley children, Hermione, and Neville, summoned up to the office so that they could head off with the adults. Xander was amused that they never did get in the tour and that the others were really complacent about the whole thing. Leading Xander with the knowledge that Dumbledore did indeed spike his drinks and treats.

&&&&&

Once they arrived, Xander called the House Elves together and had them take the kid’s things upstairs to their rooms.

Ron was still near Harry, while the others were in the other wing.

After unpacking everyone met downstairs and headed to the game room. Xander had done what he had threatened (if to no one but himself) and gotten himself a Magical Home Entertainment Room.

There was a theater sized screen with movies all along the left side. His games and controllers were on the right.

Xander came in before everyone and had set up the movie Star Wars for them to watch. So after everyone was seated, he started the movie. The surround sound was as close to THX as he could get and those not familiar with movies all jumped as the movie started.

&&&&&

Two hours later the twins were having a “Lightsaber” war with Sirius with Wizarding versions of Lightsabers that actually acted like the real things, with out the cutting applications.

Thane came up to and announced that dinner was ready and everyone headed to the dinning table.

Since there were so many of them, the actual dinning table was bought out so that they could all sit and eat comfortably.

The meal was the all American Pizza, which those not raised in the Muggle world had never seen or eaten before. The twins and Ron loved the fact that you could eat it with your hands while Percy still insisted on using his fork and knife.

After the meal was over, Xander had everyone troop back into the Game room for another Star Wars movie after which everyone went to bed.

Though the twins managed to sneak out and head to Sirius’ room.

&&&&&

Xander awoke at his normal time and headed in to shower and get dressed in his swimsuit. He had asked Harry if he wanted to join in the night before, but Harry told him no. Over the Christmas holidays he would see about getting back into an exercise routine but right now he just wanted a few days where could sleep in. It seems that Mr. Wood was always getting them up at the crack of dawn for Quidditch practice.

Xander had laughed at that and told him that they could play around in the pool later the next day.

When Xander headed out, he was surprised to find Hermione there waiting for him. She had overheard Xander and Harry talking and decided to get some time in the pool herself.

Xander showed her each of the exercises she needed to do and how to do it while he did his own workout.

By the time they were finished; Molly was up and trying to get into the kitchen.

Xander waylaid her and told her that the Elves were very picky about the kitchen and that he had finally given up himself. If she really wanted to get into the kitchen she could do breakfast the next day.

It took Arthur coming down and talking to her to get her to agree. But she did calm down.

&&&&&

At ten o’clock, Xander had everyone up and at the table with the help of Sirius and the twins.

Though everyone ended up taking a shower.

Finally everyone was present and the meal of western omelets delivered.

&&&&&

Xander had told them, that tradition was that the men watched football (the American version) while the women did the cooking. However, since the Elves were doing the cooking and he didn’t like football games, they would watch some more movies.

Everyone voted for the last Star Wars movie.

After that Indiana Jones.

Tomorrow Xander had plans to watch Fantasia, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, and he had just picked up the Lion King so they would watch that as well.

&&&&&

As with tradition, Xander had an early dinner planned so that everyone could take their time eating.

Xander said a blessing over the food and then cut the turkey and the ham.

The dinner lasted for three hours and even Ron was stuffed by the time it was done. There was everything from the turkey and ham down to the pumpkin pie.

Actually, everyone decided to put off the pie until their stomachs could settle a bit.

&&&&&

 

The next day, Xander found Hermione again waiting for him. “You know, I probably can get you access to a workout room and pool at the school if you want. I’ve been working on a plan for Harry so it would be no problem to add you as well.” Xander told her as they walked down to the pool room.

“Really? I don’t want you to go out of your way, but if you can I would really appreciate it.” She answered.

They again did their workouts with Xander working Hermione in the weight room.

After they were done, they headed up to their rooms bumping into Molly on the way.

Hermione went up the stairs while Xander gave Molly a hug and headed up to his room.

&&&&&

Brunch that day was French toast, with bacon and eggs. With Molly doing most of the cooking. Much to her delight.

After everyone had eaten, they headed in to watch Disney, leaving the clean up to the Elves.

Fantasia was a hit, especially with Arthur. While with Sleeping Beauty, Ron enjoyed Maleficent, and the twins enjoyed the fairies as they proved by doing to color changing spells on each other with Sirius and Remus’ wands. Ginny and Hermione enjoyed the story over all and were happy when Xander told them that they would be able to go with the family the next time they went to Disneyworld

Dinner was later in the day with everyone enjoying the leftovers.

After dinner, they again headed into the game room and watched Aladdin, which everyone got a kick out of and the twins wanted to try and out do the genie. Xander foresaw the twins getting into much trouble with their new ideas.

After the Lion King, the twins joined Sirius and Ron in a rendition of Hakuna Matata, and Xander got the feeling that it was going to be the new theme song for the twins.

&&&&&

Saturday was spent in the library to finish any homework. With Sirius and Remus helping, they were quickly finished and Xander had everyone not named Molly get into their swimsuit and head to the pool.

After that, the Weasley kids (sans Percy) and Harry went outside to play some Quidditch.

 

Dinner was called and everyone headed in to find spaghetti, garlic bread, cheese bread, and ice cream for dessert.

&&&&&

Sunday, had everyone up earlier than they had been. Xander had them dress up for breakfast. When asked why, he only told them that they were going out for breakfast.

They portkeyed to London, and from there Xander drove a shuttle he had rented to the Langtree.

Xander was very proud of himself for getting his UK driving license.

The Langtree was a small resort area with hotel rooms and suites, and a large golf course. Nearby there was a fifty-five foot dome made of limestone rock that had been hollowed out and inside was a near bottomless pool of water that was around ninety-six degrees in temperature. Many people used the area to dive during the winter months. Something Xander was planning to do himself.

There was a small tunnel that went into the side of the dome for easy access.

Xander could sense the Weasleys discomfort when they entered the dinning area. “Easy there, if you notice, not everyone is dressed up in their Sunday best.” He pointed out showing them a few that were in sweaters and jeans.

After being sat down, Xander had them all get up and grab a plate and follow him.

They entered a room through large decorative doors and inside were a buffet. There were cooks scattered throughout the room cooking eggs, pancakes, French toast, serving roast beef, ham, etc…In the actual buffet area was shrimp, scallops, fruit, bagels and locks, pastries, and more. The Weasleys had never seen so much food that wasn’t done by Elves.

“Well what are you waiting for? Go…shoo…enjoy.” Xander made shooing motions. “I paid per person, not per plates or of food choice so get whatever you want.”

Ron needed no further encouragements and he along with the twins headed out. Hermione, headed for the sea food, with Neville following her. The others were slowly making their way around the room.

They spent several hours there. The first two or so were spent dinning, the next several hours was just wandering around the resort.

Finally it was time to go. Xander piled everyone into the shuttle and headed back to London where they would drop off the shuttle and from there portkey back to the Manor.

&&&&&

That evening, everyone was ready to go. The adults had shrunk everyone’s packages down and they were waiting for Xander to open the floo to The Three Broomsticks.

Once that was done, the kids headed back to school, while the adults went to the den to discuss the various Christmas parties they needed or should attend.

&&&&&

End Chapter Twelve

.