Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
I would like to thank my friend Halla for this I could not seem to write the fight scene to save my life so she wrote most if not all but maybe one or two sentances of this.

Family

By Danu40k

This chapter was done by Halla 

Sorry about the lateness of the chapter,

RL hitI would like to thank my friend Halla for this chapter, I could not write a good fight scene to save my life.                

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.                

 I would like to thank my beta DennSedai for the help with my story 

~ooOoo~ 

Kwaaddoener was what they called him in Africa, evil doer, and he liked it better than the name he had been born with.

 Apartheid, well he had been there, as well as numerous wars and ethnic cleansings –helping things along and feeding his love of bloodshed and misery at the same time.  He didn’t start these things, mind you, but he was there to prolong them and cause as much human suffering as he could along the way. He loved the rush it gave him; happiness to him was another’s agony of spirit. Sometimes he felt he should have been born a Dementor or demon so he could feed more fully. Now there was a new game in town, to the north, in Bosnia, and a new master to serve who promised riches such as he had scarcely dared dream of to this point. Life was good. 

~ooOoo~

Evil hung about the bombed out ruins, blurring the soul like a thick fog would blur the vision. You could feel it seep through your clothes and skin to chill your bones, Xander thought as he picked his way through the rubble. It seemed that not only bits of stone, but bits of bone and bits of shattered dreams and shattered lives lay in his path as he worked his way slowly forward, listening through the ghostly screams of the place for sounds of the present that would tell him that his quarry was near. Xander, Sirius, and Remus were hunting. The boys were at Quidditch Camp and they had been called in to take care of this new servant of Kruft’s. Kwaaddoener was what he went by, evil by name and evil by nature.  Last seen working with the warlords in Somalia, he had been drawn to Kruft as a hyena was drawn to a rotting corpse. He was a follower, not a leader, thank whatever gods were listening today –his style was to show up in a situation  already in progress and help to make it worse. And they had a situation in progress, brother did they! Today’s mission was to find him and take him out.  They knew he was here somewhere, but here covered a lot of territory with many, many places to hide; they had split up to cover the ground more efficiently, Xander taking the middle and Remus to his right and Sirius to his left. Xander had taken the middle because it took him through the center of the bombed out village where the footing was the most treacherous.  His staff was good for things other than magic sometimes.  So it went, silent scramble from cover to cover, every sense alert for something amiss, something that would tell him where his quarry lay. Remus and Sirius were doing the same. He would be wary, they were sure, but he shouldn’t be warned that they were coming. They had the advantage of surprise. They thought he was alone right now. Xander hoped they were right on both counts. The scream told him he was near. Xander couldn’t tell if it was human or animal, just that someone or something was in terrible agony. Well that should bring Remus and Sirius to me, Xander thought. No need to risk giving away that he was here by signaling them.

Though his gut cried that he should run right in and save whatever was making those desperate noises, Xander moved slowly and silently until he could peer around what was left of a wall  and see what was going on. At least it’s an animal, pulling back and refusing his stomach’s request to vomit. He had indeed come upon Kwaaddoener‘s camp.

The noise was Kwaaddoener preparing the rabbit he had caught for his dinner. He was skinning it alive.  Funny, how evil cannot look like what it is, Xander thought. Kwaaddoener had a bland face that you wouldn’t remark upon in the market place, white hair, mild blue eyes that, while surrounded by crow’s feet, had no hint of madness nor malice and, perhaps worst of all, a pleasant smile on his face as he carried out his brutal work.

Xander would have guessed him on the younger side of fifty if he didn’t know that the man had magically extended his life and was well over a century. He had his wand stuck through his belt, Xander recalled from his glimpse, and a six inch blade in his hand. The other hand held the rabbit and there was a wood chopping axe near the pile of fire wood. His favored spell was Crucio until he had his fill of the screams and then he finished them off with the death spell, from what Xander had heard.  

First thing, get the wand away from him, Xander thought. But how? When all else fails, try the direct approach, he decided.  

“Kwaaddoener, we’ve been looking for you”, Xander announced in what he hoped was a suitably menacing tone, as he stepped out from behind the cover of the partially standing wall, staff in hand. Perhaps, he thought belatedly, he should have waited until the others showed up. But surely they were on their way and he couldn’t stand the whimpering screams of the suffering rabbit any more. Kwaaddoener dropped the rabbit and knife and reached for his wand as he rose from his heels to stand. His mouth began to form the shape of the spell, but Xander didn’t let him get the word out.  

“Expelliarmous” he shouted, thrusting his staff towards the other wizard, and was rewarded by seeing the man’s wand go flying out of his hand. Xander caught it mid-flight in a play that would have made any major league player envious. He paused to break it in half, setting of fireworks from it that would have made Fred and George wonder how they could recreate them for sale. That had gone well, Xander thought, dropping the still smoldering pieces of the wand to the ground. Remus and Sirius had to know where he was and that he was in a fight by now. 

“You’re under arre...” he started to say, still partially blinded from the sparks he had set off. But his instincts from Hellmouth served him well. He automatically stepped to the side and brought his staff up to block the haft of the axe that was being aimed at his skull by Kwaaddoener. In a counter move he swung the staff to take Kwaaddoener’s legs out from under him. But the other jumped out of the way. 

“I repeat, by the power vested in me by the ICW, you are under arrest,” Xander roared, his vision slowly returning as he regarded the older man standing at the ready a few yards away.

 “For committing crimes against humanity…” Xander parried and counter- thrusted several more blows from an opponent that was suddenly too close again.“…against the Wizarding world…,” Xander got a little bit more in before the next attack came. Hang it, most wizards would surrender when they lost their wands. This one had to be different!

 “Oh, stow it, sonny! And you can take you’re ICW and Humanity and The Wizarding World and stick them where the sun doesn’t shine!” Kwaaddoener cursed. Again Xander twisted and parried. He was rewarded by a woof of escaping air when his staff struck Kwaaddoener’s ribs but took a nasty clout to his own shoulder from the flat of the axe in return.  

“… For helping to summon demons into this world…” Xander got in between blows. The man was good! He certainly had kept in shape and fighting trim over the years, more than Xander could say about most wizards.

 “You’ll never take me alive” Kwaaddoener inserted.  Xander rolled to avoid the next blow and as he came to his feet drove the end of his staff into his opponent’s stomach. That sent Kwaaddoener flat on his back, but he bounced back up like a man in his prime and got off a blow that would have split Xander in half had he not blocked in time. 

“..And various other crimes too numerous to mention here!” Xander finished triumphantly. He was getting out of breath trying to bring this old fool down.  And where were Remus and Sirius?

“And if you were going to kill me, you’d have done it when you got the drop on me.” Kwaaddoener panted. 

“But you Good Guys don’t use those Curses.” The old fool was getting out of breath trying to bring Xander down, too. Kwaaddoener made another rush. Enough of this, Xander thought, as he parried and feinted a return blow.

 “Stupefy,” he yelled thrusting the tip of his staff Kwaaddoener’s way. The results were spectacular. Kwaaddoener went flying over the wood pile, the axe spinning and twisting out of his hands to land twenty feet away. But he didn’t stay down, any more than he had when Xander had slammed him in the stomach with his staff a minute ago. He rolled neatly to his feet, coming up with the bloody knife he had been using on the rabbit just moments before and charged Xander again. Kwaaddoener slashed with the knife and while Xander tried to evade he felt the cold blade slice through his jacket, his shirt and his skin to play a xylophonic melody on several of his ribs. He could feel the blood begin to flow down his side.  He brought the staff down with all his might on Kwaaddoener’s head and the man fell to the stony ground. He wasn’t going to get up this time, not with his skull crushed in like that. It was over. Xander leaned on his staff, weak with shock from the wound and adrenaline letdown.

At that point Remus and Sirius arrived, running up all out of breath. 

“You’re late”, Xander snarled, holding his injured side as the blood continued to flow. 

“We came as fast as we could when we heard the screams,” Remus panted.

”It’s only been a minute” 

“And then we saw a fire show of sparks a few seconds later and knew you were in trouble,” Sirius added.

 “Why didn’t you wait for us,” they both demanded in one voice...

 “He could have killed you, or worse,” Sirius finished.

 “I thought...” Xander began, then stopped and considered.  “I don’t know what I thought,” he finished. “I’ll tell you about it while you fuss over my wound” Remus was doing just that.

 “It’s just a flesh wound”, Remus judged. “But it’s long and nasty.”He healed the cut; “you’ll have a beaut of a scar. You talk, I’ll clean this up.” And they did just that. 

End Chapter  24