Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Carlisle looked over his gather family, missing only his youngest son and his soon to be daughter. Dean had finally called and now he had to tell the family to prepare for their visit. Apparently Sam hadn’t said yes but Dean said he seemed to be leaning towards it. He was surprised Alice hadn’t seen anything to do with Dean and Sam yet, despite how good Dean was at hiding she still usually caught glimpses of important events. He’d been mentally going over patients charts since Dean’s call to keep Edward from finding out what was going out but it meant Edward knew he was hiding something.

“What’s going on Carlisle?” Edward finally asked and Carlisle sighed.

“Dean is on his way home.” He stopped as Alice cried out in joy, smiling as Esme hugged him. He knew they had all been worried about their youngest being out in the world unaccompanied.
“And he’s not alone.” Dean silence as they all went still.
“A young man named Sam is with him, they knew each other as children.”

“So he’s bringing him here! Great! It’s bad enough Edward’s thing with Bella puts us all in danger and now Dean is doing the same thing!” Rosalie screeched.

“Enough!” Carlisle didn’t even have to raise his voice and his children went quiet.
“Yes Sam knows about us but there is one major difference between him and Bella. Sam is dying, he has maybe months left.” Carlisle explained softly.

“What is it?” Edward asked, it was easy to see he was imaging Bella in Sam’s place.

“AIDS, transmitted through a bad blood transfusion before you say anything about his lifestyle Rosalie.” Carlisle knew his daughter didn’t like anything that messed with her life but he could do without her attitude.
“They’ll be here in a few days and will stay for an indefinite period of time. I’ll be bringing some medical equipment home to make Sam’s stay as comfortable as possible. Esme, Alice and Rosalie, Dean has given you permission to do what you need to, to prepare his room for them. Obviously they’ll need a bed for starters. Dean said Sam isn’t used to money being thrown around so don’t go overboard, we want him to feel comfortable and not overwhelmed.” Carlisle explained. Esme and Alice nodded while Rosalie glared.

-----------------------------------
Sam stared at the house as it came into view, it was amazing. Dean glanced over at him and Sam smiled at him.

“It looks nice.” Sam told him and Dean nodded.

“Esme designs all the family’s houses but I think this one is her favourite. You ready?”

“As I’ll ever be.” Sam fumbled with his seatbelt as Dean turned the engine off. Cold hands covered his and Dean gently undid his belt for him.

“Are you scared?” Dean asked softly, despite knowing the family could hear them no matter what.

“Not of them, I believe you when you say they wouldn’t hurt me. It’s just...”

“Sam it’ll be fine, they’ll love you, promise. And no one will say anything about you being sick.” Dean soothed, reaching over to cup Sam’s cheek, ignoring the fact that Alice was bouncing on the porch.

“Okay, let’s do this.” Dean smiled and then was out of the car and opening Sam’s door for him. He hovered as Sam slowly got out of the car and then wrapped an arm gently around his waist. Sam was having serious trouble walking now but he had refused to be carried into his first meeting with the vampires that could soon be his family.

“Hey Pixie!” Dean called out and Sam looked up to see a short teenager with short dark hair and the same coloured eyes as Dean.

“Dean you’re home! Oh he’s perfect for you Dean!” She gushed and Sam blushed.

“Alice calm down. Sam, this is Alice. Alice this is Sam.”

“It’s nice to meet you Alice.” Sam greeted, extending his hand and then gasping as she hugged him but he returned it.

“I’m so happy to meet you Sam. The others are inside and Esme and I fixed up your room Dean so that Sam will actually have somewhere to sleep.” She explained as she opened the door for them.

“You didn’t have to go to any trouble for me.” Sam argued and she laughed.

“Don’t worry about it, we love any excuse to shop.” She waved him off and then they were in the living room. Sam looked around nervously but almost all of the people present looked happy to see them. Two of them stood and slowly approached as if they didn’t want to spook him.

“It’s good to have you home Dean. And this must be Sam.” The man spoke, carefully offering his hand. Sam reached out and shook it without flinching.
“I’m Carlisle Cullen, welcome to our home. This is my wife Esme.”

“Pleasure to meet you ma’am.” Sam greeted her with a small, shy smile and Esme melted. She raised her arms and took a half step forward before freezing.

“It’s okay Esme.” Dean whispered below Sam’s hearing level and she cautiously moved closer to hug Sam. He stiffened slightly and then hugged her back awkwardly, swallowing hard as he wondered if his Mom would have hugged him the same way.

“I’ve made you some lunch if you’re hungry Sam.” She told him as she let go and Sam nodded.

“Thank you Mrs. Cullen.”

“Esme please dear. Come meet our children.” She led them further into the room and Sam stopped to look over the seated teens. Well they looked like teenagers but Dean had said he was the youngest so who knew how old they actually were.
“This is our eldest Edward, then we have Rosalie and Emmett and Jasper is the one hugging Alice.”

“Hi.” Sam greeted awkwardly and Dean tightened his grip slightly in comfort. Jasper gave him a small smile and nod in greeting.

“Another human in the family, cool!” Emmett bellowed and Sam shot Dean a confused look.

“Well I suppose he’s good looking enough.” Rosalie muttered and Sam blushed slightly again much to his own annoyance.

“Nice to meet you.” Edward offered and Sam gave him a small smile. Dena moved them over to a couch and helped Sam sit before sitting down next to him. Sam instantly curled into him much to the awe of the family. It was odd to see a human so comfortable with them and now there were two. Dean instantly started running his fingers through Sam’s hair, knowing that the coolness helped Sam feel a little better since he was now running an almost constant low-grade fever. Esme re-entered the room with a tray and Sam accepted it gratefully.

“Thank you Esme.” Sam smiled as he saw the soup, soft sandwiches and glass of juice. Dean hovered and Sam gave him an indulgent smile. He picked up a sandwich and began to eat, trying to ignore all the eyes on him.

“So where are you from Sam?” Carlisle asked.

“Originally Lawrence, Kansas but Dad travelled a lot for work and I went with him.” Sam answered while taking a break from eating. He took a lot of breaks due to nausea.

“What about your mother?” Esme asked and Sam closed his eyes.

“She died when I was a baby.” He answered tightly and Esme gasped.

“I’m so sorry Sam, I didn’t know.” She rushed and he opened his eyes, giving her a sad smile.

“I know, its okay.” Sam forgave her easily, knowing she hadn’t meant to open old wounds.

----------------------------------
Dean opened the door to his room, smiling at the changes the women had made. A king sized bed now took up the centre of the room, covered in green and gold comforters and pillows. His TV had been moved so that it could be seen from the bed and he could just see far enough into his en-suite to know a stool had been put into the shower for Sam. He put their bags down beside the closet as Sam looked around at his movie and music collection.

“You like it?” He asked nervously and Sam smiled at him.

“It’s great Dean.” Sam told him, moving shakily back over to him and wrapping his arms around Dean’s waist. Dean wrapped his arms around Sam in return, content to simply hold him close.

“So what do you think of them?” Dean asked and Sam smiled.

“I like them Dean. I don’t think Rosalie likes me much though.” Sam answered and Dean smiled.

“She’ll warm up to you, she just needs time.” Dean told him and Sam nodded.

“Carlisle looks like he wants to do tests.”

“Well he is a doctor Sam and he hates seeing people in pain.”

“He can take some blood if he wants.”Sam grumbled and Dean laughed, listening to something he couldn’t hear.

“He said thank you and he’ll be right up with a vial and needle.” Sam just laughed as the door opened and Carlisle stepped in. Sam sat on the bed and held out his arm. Carlisle worked quickly and Sam was surprised that he felt no pain.

“Wish you were the one who took my blood for the original tests, you’re a lot better at it.” Sam told him and Carlisle smiled.

“I’ll take this in to test tomorrow Sam. Maybe I can adjust your medication to make you more comfortable. If you need anything just call out and I’ll hear.”

“Thanks.” Carlisle left them alone and Dean sat beside Sam on the bed.

“You feeling okay?” Dean asked softly and Sam shrugged.
“Sam?”

“Just a little tired.” Sam finally admitted.

“So have a nap. I’ll stay with you if you want.” Dean offered and Sam nodded, moving up to crawl under the covers.

“Comfortable?”

“Very, they picked a good bed.” Sam told him with a smile and Dean moved to lay beside him on top of the covers. Sam rolled over so that his head was pillowed on Dean’s chest. Dean gently stroked his fingers through Sam’s hair and Sam sighed before settling and slowly drifting off to sleep.

--------------------------------
“He’s so sweet!” Alice gushed and Jasper smiled, holding her close.

“He was genuinely happy to meet us all.” Jasper told them.

“Did I make him nervous?” Esme asked nervously and Jasper shook his head.

“No, when you hugged him it made him a bit sad and from what he said about his mother...” Jasper trailed off and she nodded in understanding. The poor boy, Esme was determined to mother him as much as he would allow.
“Edward what was wrong?” jasper turned to his brother.

“Edward?” Carlisle asked.

“I can’t read his mind.” Edward admitted and eyebrows went up.

“What are the odds of two humans Edward can’t read in one decade?” Emmett asked.

“Very unlikely.” Jasper answered.
“I think he’s hiding something but Dean knows what it is from their emotions.”

“Dean would not put us in danger.” Carlisle stated as he studied the vials he had taken from Sam.
“He has only just met us and he is very sick, it’s not surprising that he isn’t giving us his life story. I’m going to test his blood tomorrow, see if his doctor missed anything.”

“How long do you think he has?” Esme asked softly.

“From Dean’s phone calls and how fast he is deteriorating...a month or two at most from what I know. I’ll be able to give a better estimate once I run some tests.”

-----------------------------------------
“Oh...hi.” Sam looked up to see a teenager standing in the kitchen doorway. He smiled slightly at the girl, instinctively knowing she was human. She looked nothing like the Cullen’s and didn’t give off any supernatural vibes.

“Hello. I’m Sam, I’m here with Dean.” Sam explained and watched her relax.

“It’s nice to meet you, I’m Bella. Do you know where Edward is?”

“I think...” Sam trailed off, grabbing the edge of the counter.

“Sam?” She questioned and then rushed to his side as he began to collapse.
“HELP!” She yelled and Jasper appeared, taking Sam’s weight from her. Sam groaned and almost convulsed in Jasper’s arms.

“Bella call Carlisle.” Jasper told her and Bella dug her phone out. Sam writhed in Jasper’s grip and he was forced to sit on the floor and try to gently hold Sam still. He looked up as Dean flew into the house.

“Sam? Shit. Sam its okay, just listen to me. You know the drill, just breath and try to relax.” Dean soothed, holding Sam close to him.

“Is he okay?” Bella asked quietly and Dean nodded absently. He held Sam close to him as the mortal slowly began to calm.

“De...”

“I’m here Sam, just breath. I’m going to take you to bed.”

“No. Warn...” Sam groaned, clutching at his head. Carlisle appeared and held up a needle of morphine, Dean nodded and he went to inject him but Sam flailed.

“Sam its okay, the morphine will help.” Dean tried to sooth but Dean pulled away trying to sit up.
“Sammy calm down, tell me what’s wrong.

“Warn.” Sam urged, eyes wild.

“Warn who Sammy. Bobby?” Dean crouched in front of him, cupping his cheeks to get Sam to focus on him.
“Sam focus, who needs warning.” Sam swallowed but seemed to focus on him.

“Ellen, demon, fire.”

“Is she in your phone Sam? Does she know?” Dean asked and Sam nodded jerkily.
“Okay I’ll ring and warn her. Let Carlisle give you the morphine, please Sammy.” Sam nodded again and held out a shaky arm. Carlisle quickly injected the drug and Sam relaxed as it hit his bloodstream. Dean picked him up and carried him upstairs, gently putting him into bed and then digging Sam’s phone out and going through the speed dial numbers. He found one labelled Ellen and dialled.

“Hello?”

“Is this Ellen?” He asked.

“Who’s asking?”

“My name’s Dean, I’m a friend of Sam Winchester.”

“Is Sam okay?” She cut in before he could say anything else.

“Blissed out on morphine at the moment. He had a vision and was barely coherent afterwards. All he said was Elle, demon and fire. Begged me to call and warn you.” Dean explained.

“Okay thanks. Tell the kid to ring more often.”

“Sure.” Dean answered quietly knowing Sam wouldn’t be calling. Didn’t sound like she knew Sam was sick and he wasn’t going to be the one to tell her. He hung up and then spun around, crouched protectively over Sam only to blink and relax as he saw Carlisle in the doorway.
“Sorry.”

“It’s fine Dean, your instincts are simply telling you to protect your mate.” Carlisle forgave him and moved further into the room. He stared down at the now peaceful Sam and then up at his youngest.
“Dean?” Dean sighed and then sat down to pull Sam into his arms.

“Sam...he’s gifted Carlisle. Sometimes he sees things before they happen, gets hints on peoples intentions, things like that. But it’s painful as you saw. I’ve only seen one other vision and I thought he was dying.” Dean explained without bringing up demons or their blood. That was up to Sam to share if he wanted.

“I got the test results back.”

“And?”

“He’s got a month and a half left maximum. I’ve never seen a virus like it before, it looks a lot like AIDS but it isn’t. And there was something odd about his blood.” Carlisle explained and Dean sighed.

“I know and I can’t tell you Carlisle, Sam told me in confidence.”

“Alright but if he agrees to the change I want it done via injection not through bites. This virus is a little too odd for me to want anyone else exposed.”

“Okay.” Dean agreed easily, frankly he’d been nervous about his control if he had to bite Sam. Injecting the venom would not test his control at all.

-------------------------------
Sam sat nervously in front of Carlisle in his office. He’d insisted they talk where the others couldn’t hear so he’d ended up accompanying Carlisle into work. But now that they were there he was having trouble actually talking.

“Take your time Sam, I have the morning free.” Carlisle told him gently and Sam nodded, taking a deep breath.

“When I was six months old my mother was killed...by a demon.” Sam stopped and waited to see Carlisle’s reaction. Carlisle simply stared at him, waiting for him to continue. Sam took another deep breath before continuing.
“The demon was there for me, mom just got in the way. That night it...fed me its blood. That’s why the blood test is a bit odd, I have demon blood in me. After that my Dad found out and started hunting. He raised me as a hunter too. I was on a hunt when something attacked me, I never saw what. Ended up in hospital in the ICU, I almost died. Few days before I was due to be released they picked up an anomaly in a blood test. Next thing I knew they were talking about AIDS, support groups...I checked out against advice.” Sam explained quietly.

“So Monday was...”

“A vision. I get visions of things connected to the demon or the other kids it targeted. The only upside to the blood is that I’ve shown to be immune to a lot of supernatural things and even normal ones. The fact that this virus is working so quickly...Dean got huffy because I wouldn’t let him kiss me deeply, I’m scared I could give it to him.”

“I have the same concern which is why if you decide to go ahead with the change the venom will be introduced via injection and not through a bite as is usual.” Carlisle explained and Sam relaxed.

“Dean’s told me a bit but...could you tell me more?” Sam asked and Carlisle was glad Sam wanted to know. The fact that he was still wanting more information meant he hadn’t decided to say no.

--------------------------------
Sam smiled at Bella as Dean helped him over to the couch. She gave him a small smile in return form where she was curled into Edward’s side. Carlisle had called a family meeting and had made sure that Sam and Bella knew they could attend.

“As I was leaving the hospital I was approached by Sam Uley. They know Sam is with us and want a meeting to discuss our intentions towards him.

“I don’t understand, who is he?” Sam asked, looking between Dean and Carlisle for answers.

“Sam Uley is the leader of the local pack of shape shifters. We have a treaty with them, we don’t step onto the Reservation or bite a human and we can live in peace.” Carlisle explained briefly.

“So what does that have to do...oh. Changing me would break the treaty.” Sam finished and then looked at Dean.
“Then why did you offer?”

“There is a loophole in the wording of the treaty, we are not allowed to bite a human. But with everything taken into account if you agree to being changed it will be done by injection, which is not mentioned in the treaty.” Carlisle explained.
“They want to see Sam.”

“No way!” Dean snarled, pulling Sam closer. Sam rolled his eyes and patted Dean’s arm, making Alice giggle and Bella throw him a sympathetic look.

“Dean I don’t want to cause trouble for your family, if meeting them can help then I’ll do it.”

“But...”

“Dean don’t.” Sam glared and Dean backed down with a sigh and then nodded at Carlisle.

“We’ll meet them tonight at the border. Sam will you be up to that?” Carlisle asked and Sam nodded.

--------------------------------------
Dean entered the clearing with Sam securely held to his chest and wrapped in several blankets. His family surrounded them protectively as the wolves approached, Sam, Jacob and Paul the only ones in human form. With them were a few of the Elders including Billy Black.

“You asked for this meeting Sam.” Carlisle stated.

“Is that him?” Sam asked angrily and Dean snarled slightly. His Sam reached up and touched his cheek gently. Dean looked down and relaxed as he stared into gentle hazel eyes.

“Dean you can put me down, I’ll be okay.” Dean was reluctant but did as Sam asked.
“Hello, I’m Sam Winchester.” He greeted the other Sam with a small smile.

“You know what they are?” Sam Uley asked and Sam nodded.

“I knew Dean was no longer human as soon as I saw him again.” Sam answered, leaning against Dean for support.

“Again?” Billy Black asked.

“Sam and I knew each other as children.” Dean answered.

“Sam is also very sick and shouldn’t be out here for very long.” Carlisle added, keeping a close eye on Sam.

“Are you going to bite him?” Jacob asked angrily and Dean wrapped a protective arm around Sam’s waist.

“Why is it your business if they do? Isn’t that my choice?” Sam asked and Dean frowned, looking down at him. Then Dean realised Sam’s other little ability had kicked in and he was checking the wolves.

“They kill and it negates the treaty.” Billy told him and Sam looked over at him.

“I’m already dying so what difference does it make?”

“Dying?” Sam asked him, watching as Dean tightened his grip on the other Sam.

“Yes. I have just over a month left of a rather painful decline.”

“You said he’s sick, what is it?” Billy asked and Carlisle looked to Sam who nodded his permission.

“AIDS contracted from a bad blood transfusion given during surgery.” Carlisle explained and Sam received several sympathetic looks.

“I love Dean and I’d rather be a vampire and with him than dying and leaving him alone. This is my choice.” Dean froze as Sam’s words hit him. Had he really?

“Sam?” Dean breathed and Sam turned to face him with a small smile.

“I decided Dean, I don’t want to leave you.” Sam whispered and then gave him a soft kiss on the lips. A few of the wolves growled and Sam turned to glare at them. Emmett laughed as they actually backed off, chastised by a dying human.

“You want an exception for him to the treaty.” Billy stated and Carlisle nodded.

“As Sam has told you, he is dying already and it is his choice. He has been made fully aware of what the process entails and what happens afterwards.” Carlisle explained.

“You actually want to be one of those monsters!” Jacob exploded and Sam tensed, fists balled. Dean shivered as he felt something, pulling Sam closer to him. Could Sam have any other abilities that hadn’t shown up yet?

“Don’t you dare call them monsters. I’ve seen monsters before, one killed both my parents. The Cullen’s are anything but.” Sam stated coldly. Dean smiled against Sam’s neck as both his family and the wolves stared at him in shock.

“Sammy.” Dean breathed, proud of his Sam. To their surprise Billy actually chuckled.

“I like you Sam.” The man told him and Sam blushed slightly.
“The council will discuss it and you’ll have our decision within the next few days.”

TBC...