Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
PS not entirely sure of the dates in Twilight so they’ll be where twilight is set in the year Sam turns 20, so that would be 2003.

As soon as the car pulled up Alice practically flew from the porch to hug the newest edition to the family. Sam caught her easily and returned the hug with a smile. Dean laughed and took her to hug as well before all three of them headed for the house where the others were waiting, staring at Sam in shocked awe. They could all hear the very slow heartbeat and despite Dean having warned them Sam’s change had been odd it was still a shock.

“Hey.” Sam greeted nervously and Esme dashed forward to hug him. He smiled and hugged her back.

“Oh Sam.” She breathed as she took in his odd eye colour and slight blush.
“How?” She asked and Sam glanced at Dean and then Carlisle who both nodded.

“Long story Esme. Why don’t we let the boys settle in before ambushing them with questions.” Carlisle said and Esme nodded.

“You know where your room is boys.”

“Sure thing. Got nay food around? We forgot to stop for dinner and Sam’s probably hungry by now.” Deans comment earnt more shocked looks and Sam sighed.

“Yes I still have a heartbeat, I still eat food as well as blood and I do sleep a few hours every couple of days. I’m just weird.” Sam stated and Dean laughed, pulling him close.

“You’re not weird, you’re Sam.” Dean chastised and Sam rolled his eyes, letting the family know it was a common argument. They watched the two as they headed upstairs and then everyone turned to Jasper.

“He...he’s completely in control, none of the normal newborn volatility or anything. Just happiness, love, contentment. Some nervousness when they first arrived but that’s natural.”

“So he basically skipped the newborn phase? How is that possible? Sure Dean was pretty controlled but....” Rosalie argued and then stopped as Dean and Sam came back downstairs.

“Its weird being able to hear you clear as day from upstairs. As to why I’m different, we have a pretty good idea of the cause.” Sam admitted, letting Dena pull him down onto the couch.

“As you know when Sam first came here I ran my own tests. I found something odd in his blood and we believe it was that that allowed him to remain partially human.” Carlisle explained.

“So what was in your blood?” Emmett asked and Sam looked down.

“Demon blood.” He whispered and then shrank back into Dean’s side as the shouting began.

“ENOUGH!” Dean shouted and they fell silent in shock. Esme reached out to Sam who was curled into Dean and seemed to be sobbing silently.

“Sam.” She called gently, reaching out to run her fingers through his hair. He looked up at her with wide golden-hazel eyes and she smiled gently.
“You are a part of this family now Sam, no matter what.” She told him and Sam leant towards her, letting her pull him into a gentle hug. Sam pulled at her heart in a way none of her children did, the poor boy had never truly known a mother’s love and she had plenty to give.

“It’s okay Sammy.” Dean soothed, rubbing Sam’s back gently and meeting Esme’s eye with a grateful stare.

“Esme is right, Sam is part of this family now and is to be treated as such. Sam we can continue this later if you wish.” Carlisle added, resting a gentle hand on the distressed young man’s shoulder. Sam slowly pulled away from Esme’s embrace and shook his head.

“Better to do it now sir.” He took a deep breath and stared out the glass doors, refusing to meet anyone’s eyes.
“When I was six months old my mother was killed in my nursery. The thing that killed her was a demon, he was there for me. I know I’m not the only one he visited, I’ve met others like me over the years. Not all of us lost our mothers to a fire though it’s pretty common but all of us have abilities. The demon wants an army of psychics for some reason that we haven’t found yet. My Dad was killed four years ago when he cornered the demon. When he learnt the truth of what happened the night my mom died he started hunting, trying to track the demon but taking out anything else he came across that was hurting people. When I was old enough he trained me to do the same. I was sick because something got the drop on me, tore me up pretty good and it gave me a disease that looked similar to AIDS. I know the demon will come for me one day but I will not go willingly.” Sam told them quietly. Jasper nodded and Emmett grinned.

“He’ll have to get through us too little nephew.” Emmett stated and Sam stared at him.
“What, Carlisle changed Dean who did you, that makes you a nephew.” Rosalie elbowed him while Sam hid his face in his hands.

“Speaking of, we need to work out identity details for Sam since I checked and Samuel Winchester is now listed as deceased.”

“Bobby was going to be let it known I was killed on a hunt, apparently he thought it was a better thing than saying I died from the virus. There are a few ex-hunters who are coroners and morgue staff, he probably had them arrange something.” Sam explained and they nodded.

“This Bobby?” Carlisle asked.

“A hunter, he actually taught Dad and then me a lot about demons and wards. He’s always been half way between an uncle and a second father to me. He knows I’m not dead but that it’s risky for him to see me again. Bobby’s one of the best secret keepers out there. He doesn’t know what you, we, are just that we’re not exactly human.” Sam explained and Carlisle nodded.

“So we need to work out a new name for you. Since you’re with Dean we can’t make you a Cullen.”

“Yes we can!” Alice exclaimed and they all looked at her.
“They can’t legally marry but Sam can take the Cullen name and say it’s their way of making the fact their together clear.” She explained and Sam went red in embarrassment.

“Sammy? Would that be okay with you?” Dean asked and Sam looked at him.

“It’s a big step. Do you want to?” Sam asked in return and Dean smiled.

“You’re it for me, I’ll even get us matching rings if you want.” Dean offered and Sam laughed.

“Okay, guess I’ll be a Cullen too.”

“Middle name?” Jasper asked since he would be the one to arrange it and Sam frowned.

“Robert John?” Sam queried and Jasper nodded.

“Samuel Robert John Cullen. Preferred birthday?” That one Sam had to really think about. He knew he couldn’t pick May but the only other date that really stood out in his life was the day of the fire.

“How about June ninth?” Dean suggested and Sam frowned in thought before grinning.

“Perfect!”

“So June ninth 1983, you can keep Kansas but you’ll need a different town, preferable a large one.” Jasper told him and Sam nodded.

“How about Rapid City, South Dakota? Lowers the chance of someone putting the two names together. Anything else needed? Only a handful of hunters would be able to pick me from a crowd, one of the few upsides to moving around so much.” Sam told them and Jasper nodded, happy that they wouldn’t have to worry too much about Sam being recognised.

“You’ll have the necessary cards and paperwork by the end of the week.” Jasper told him and Sam smiled at him in thanks.

“Is there anything you would like to do school wise? We could easily enrol you in some online college classes if you’d like?” Carlisle offered and Dean groaned.

“How about you give us the chance to settle in and all before ambushing Sam with everything? Besides, so far he’s more likely to frisk someone for a chocolate bar than try to eat them so Sam could even find a job if he wants.”

“You’re control is really that good?” Edward asked in surprise and Sam shrugged obviously embarrassed as Dean laughed.

“It’s not that funny Dean!” Sam chastised and Dean tried to stop laughing.

“Sorry Sam but it was from my point of view. There I was panicking you were going to eat the guy and instead you stole his mars bar!” Dean said and the others chuckled.

“Apparently my blood sugar was low!” Sam argued back.

“So no wanting to eat anyone?” Emmett asked and Sam pulled a face.

“Gross, cannibalism is not my thing thank you very much.” Sam told Emmett with a small grin. At that moment they heard a very familiar truck pull up and Edward tensed, watching Sam as Bella’s scent wafted into the house but Sam didn’t react to it.
“Whose truck?” Sam asked and the others relaxed a bit.

“Bella!” Alice called, running out to meet her.

“Sam I know you haven’t had trouble but if you need to leave it’ll be fine.” Carlisle told him and Sam nodded, knowing they wouldn’t believe he was fully fine until they had proof for themselves. He slouched back into the couch, resting against Dean’s side. He knew Dean realised what he was doing when an arm came up to wrap around his shoulders. Bella froze when she saw him and her eyes went wide, searching for Edward.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t realise...should I go?” Bella asked and Sam smiled at her. Edward reached out and pulled her over to his side, Bella sitting nervously beside him on the other couch.

“It’s okay Bella. You don’t smell at all appetising to me. Apparently I’m weird for a vampire.” Sam shrugged and Dean slapped him lightly.

“No calling yourself weird, a freak or anything else like that Sam.” Dean ordered and Sam rolled his eyes.

“Yes dear.” His answer made Emmett lose control and start laughing.
“Actually Esme, is there any food in the kitchen? I haven’t had anything since stopping for some drive through lunch. Want anything Bella?”

“An apple?” She asked and Sam got up, stretching and following Esme to the kitchen. Bella curled into Edward’s side a little.
“Is it really okay? I know you guys said newborns have trouble with resisting blood.”

“It’s fine Bella. Apparently Sam’s change was...unusual in that he still has some human traits such as the need for food. His heart is even still beating though only two beats a minute.” Carlisle told her and Bella relaxed.

“Here.” Sam came back and held an apple out to her. Edward tensed a little with Sam so close but there was no hunger in Sam’s eyes.
“I’m fine Bella. Ask Dean about the mars bar instance if it’ll make you feel better.” Sam shot a glare at the suddenly snickering Dean before taking his seat and eating his sandwich. The other vampires watched in awe and a little envy as he ate it, making him a bit self-conscious.

“Incredible.” Carlisle stated and Sam rolled his eyes.

“Seriously guys it’s a sandwich.” Sam stated and they stopped staring.

“Have you been hunting regularly?” Carlisle asked and both Sam and Dean nodded.

“Sam’s got a real talent for it, still a little bit messy on the eating part though.” Dean told him.

“I’ve been tracking and hunting things in woods since I was a kid Dean, this isn’t really any different.” Sam told Dean with a shrug. He was just thankful Dean hadn’t mentioned him nearly throwing up after his first hunt when he’d fully realised what he’d just done. He was embarrassed enough as it was with how fascinated they all seemed by his odd half-half status. Though was he really still part human if it was the demon blood?

“Was it weird? The first time hunting?” Bella asked and Sam shrugged.

“Not really, I just went with it. After was a bit odd, once I realised that yes I had just drained a bear of all its blood, but the hunt and act itself felt pretty natural.” Sam told her, realising she wanted to hear from someone new in case Edward eventually gave in and changed her. The others were old hands at hunting and probably didn’t really think of their first hunt all that much.

-----------------------------------------
“Pretty please!” Sam paused and then looked at Jasper who shrugged and went to drag his wife away from a rather harried looking Dean. She pouted but went. Dean looked over at him and sighed in relief.

“I thought you and Jazz would never get back!” Dean complained and Sam smiled.

“So what was Alice begging for?” Sam asked as he yanked his now bloodstained shirt off. It had been fun hunting with Jasper and deepening the friendship that had started when he’d stayed at the Cullen’s before his change.

“Alice wants to through us a wedding.” Dean stated and Sam’s eyes went wide.

“What? But it’s not even legal here!”

“I tried that argument, didn’t work. She said plenty of couples have a ceremony to celebrate their commitment, legal or not. I argued that we wouldn’t really have anyone to invite but she pointed out Bella and her father, who doesn’t know what we are by the way, plus a few people I know in town and the Denali clan.” Dean explained as he followed Sam into their bathroom so he could wash the small amount of blood from his skin.

“She’s not going to let it go is she?” Sam asked and Dean shook his head.
“Maybe if she promised something small and not too formal?” He offered hesitantly and then laughed as he heard Alice cry out in triumph.
“Dean hasn’t agreed yet Alice.” Sam stated, still getting used to the fact he didn’t have to yell to be heard anywhere in the house or yard. Dean was staring at him in surprise.

“So, you’d marry me?” Dean asked and Sam shook his head in exasperation.

“Dean I changed species for you! Of course I’d marry you jerk.” Sam stated, ignoring the few short laughs from around the house as Dean slowly grinned.

“Wait here!” Dean told him and then vanished into their room. Sam smiled at his mate’s antics, leaning back against the sink to wait. Dean reappeared a few seconds later and held out a small velvet box. Sam slowly took it and opened it, his eyes widening in shock as he recognised the contents. He looked up at Dean in bewilderment and Dean shrugged.
“Bobby.” Was all he needed to say and Sam smiled softly. Sam had wondered what had happened to his parents rings after his father’s death. Though his mothers had obviously been re-worked to suit a male hand.

“Who had them altered?”

“Bobby, after the first time I met him and I kind of...well I told him I loved you. When we showed up at his place he had them waiting for us. Obviously we don’t really need the engagement ring, unless you want to wear it on the other hand or something. He said your Dad always meant for you to use them one day.” Sam smiled and took the re-worked engagement ring out, slipping it onto his left ring finger.

“That way everyone knows I’m claimed till the ceremony and you put the other one on me. I’ll swap hands afterwards.” Sam said and Dean grinned as the family that was home cheered.

“But no tuxes Alice.” Dean stated firmly and they both laughed as they heard Alice complain about that.

--------------------------------
Sam was wondering around Forks by himself for a bit when he spotted a familiar figure. He nodded his head in greeting, ignoring the shocked look. Billy Black wheeled himself closer.

“Sam Winchester?” The man asked and Sam smiled.

“It’s Cullen now sir. How are you?” Sam asked politely and Billy shook his head.

“I’m good. How? I thought it took years to build up a resistance?” The elder asked suspiciously and Sam shrugged.

“Odd as a human, odd as a vampire.” Sam stated, slowly extending his arm until it was within reach of the wheelchair bound man.
“Check my pulse.” Sam offered and Billy reached out cautiously only to have his mouth drop open in shock as he felt the occasional heart beat.
“I still eat food too sir and I even sleep occasionally. Though apparently my blood sugar levels keep tanking for some reason so I have a rather big sweet tooth now.” Sam told him with a grin only to freeze as he heard a low growl. Billy looked behind Sam and frowned.

“Jake back down.” Billy ordered his son firmly.” Jake edged around Sam to stand beside his father. Sam gave him a soft smile.

“Hello Jake, nice to see you again.”

“You really did it then? You’re a cold one now.” Jacob spat and Sam sighed.

“Not that cold. In case you hadn’t noticed I still have the occasionally heartbeat.” Sam pointed and the wolf’s eyes went wide. Sam rolled his eyes as his wrist was roughly grabbed but let Jacob test his pulse.

“How? You don’t smell as bad as the other Cullen’s....”

“I also still eat food and have no interest in human blood and should we be doing this in the middle of town?” Sam asked, looking around but aside for some odd looks no one had come close enough to hear what they were saying.

“The Pack will be informed, I assume you’ll hold to the treaty?” Billy asked and Sam nodded.

“I’ve been protecting people all my life, that’s not gonna change now sir. If they want to see me for themselves that’s fine, just let Carlisle know.” Sam said and then wondered off. He could feel Jake following him but that was fine. He figured there would be a meeting with the pack soon to see the strange new vampire and that was fine. They’d okayed his change and he would abide by the rules of the treaty.

TBC...