Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


“How’s the car comin’ along?” Sam asked as Dean pushed himself out from under it.

“Slow.” He answered, wiping his hands. Their Dad was with Bobby on a case nearby and Xander was....somewhere on the property.

“Yeah? Need any help?” Sam offered and Dean just stared at him in amusement.

“What, you under a hood? I’ll pass.” He teased and Sam shrugged, they both knew cars were not his thing.

“Need anything else then?” Sam offered and Dean looked at him.

“A beer? What’s with the offer to help?” Dean asked as Sam handed him a bottle and Sam shrugged.
“You okay?” Dean leant back against the car as he stared at his baby brother and Sam looked down at the ground, absently kicking at the dirt.
“Sammy.”

“I....you’re not weirded out? I mean he’s my twin brother and suddenly he’s here and alive and.....” Sam stared at Dean, looking lost and Dean put his beer down.

“Sam you can’t expect things to suddenly be great just because we found him. We’ve all got stuff, secrets and all and it’s gonna take time for the kid to start trusting us.”

“I know. It’s just I don’t remember him, if it wasn’t for that old photo Dad carries around.....I just what to find whatever separated us and demand answers, with a gun if I have to.” Sam admitted and Dean reached out to ruffle Sam’s hair, much to his brother’s annoyance.

“Think you’re the only one? Last time I saw him....Mom took me in to say goodnight to you both the night of the fire. The two of you were in the crib side by side, you were in a blue blanket and his was green. And now here he is all grown up and a stranger. Dad....I think he hated himself for not finding Alex in the house and getting him out too. He never talked about him at all until you asked about the photo.” Dean told him.
“It’s got to be weird for Xander too Sam. Think about, he’s spent his whole life thinking the people raising him are his parents only to find out they aren’t.”

“Yeah.” Sam mumbled and then waved as he spotted Xander slowly approaching. The other male paused but Sam motioned him over so Xander continues walking. Sam looked from Xander to the car and then at Dean who raised an eyebrow but then smiled and nodded.

“Hey Xander, wanna give me a hand? Letting Sam here near a car is bad idea but Bobby said you’re pretty good for a beginner.” Dean said and Xander froze in shock before nodding.

“Okay.” Xander answered, smiling slightly.

“I’ve got a lead that needs checking out from an old contact. You boys want to come?” John asked and Dean and Sam nodded instantly while Xander continued to wash the dishes.
“Xander?” His youngest turned to stare at him curiously.
“You want to come or not?” He asked and Xander looked at him in shock, letting John know that Xander hadn’t thought he was included in the question.
“I...”

“Come on Xander, road trip.” Dean grinned at him and Xander relaxed.

“Alright.”

“We’ll have to borrow something off Bobby, the Impala isn’t ready and we won’t all fit in my truck. Unless yours is driveable?” John asked and Xander shook his head.

“Bobby said another few weeks work. I think he’s got a mini-van around that mostly works.” Xander answered and Dean shuddered.

“So where are we going?” Sam asked as he moved to help Xander with the dishes.

“Roadhouse owned by the widow of a hunter. She left me a message a while ago, I just haven’t had the chance to go see her. Dean, don’t hit on Jo, her daughter.” John warned and Xander frowned.

“Lady’s name wouldn’t be Ellen would it?” He asked and John looked at him before nodding.
“Huh, that’s the place my engine fell out at, they called Bobby for me.” Xander explained.
“Didn’t know they knew about this stuff.”

“So pack up and I’ll see Bobby about that van.” John said, going to do that while the three boys headed out to pack.

“Hello? Anybody here?” Sam called as he knocked on the closed door. John was getting his gear from his truck and Dean was still pouting over having to drive a minivan like a soccer mom.

“Hey.” Dean said and Sam looked at him.

“Yeah?”

“Did you bring the, uh…” Dean trailed off and Sam put a hand in his jacket.

“Of course.” Sam answered, pulling out a case of lock-picking tools.

“Um....not the best idea guys. Trust me, I’ve met Ellen and you do not want to break into her place.” Xander warned and John chuckled as he came up behind them.

“He’s right boys.” John commented, pounding on the door.

“Ellen! John Winchester, you called so open up!” He yelled. A few minutes later the door opened to reveal an armed Ellen who looked at them all and then glared at John.

“What the hell are you doing dragging Xander into this!” She snapped angrily and John raised his hands in surrender.

“It’s a long story Ellen.”

“Besides I’ve known about the supernatural since I was fifteen and killed my first vampire.” Xander added, feeling the need to stick up for the poor man.

“Get in here. I guess these are your boys?”

“Dean, Sam this is Ellen and her daughter Jo. That Ash passed out on the table?” John asked and Ellen nodded.

“So?” She pushed and John sighed before handing over a well worn photo.

“That’s me, Mary, Dean and the twins, Sam and Alex. We thought Alex died in the fire, turns out he didn’t and you’ve already met.” John explained, placing a hand on Xander’s shoulder.

“That explains why you looked familiar.” Ellen commented, in shock at the fact that there was another Winchester.

“So why did you call?” John asked and Ellen headed back behind the bar.

“Thought you could use some help. Ash! Hey ASH!” She called out and the guy at the table jolted upright.

“What? Closin’ time?” He mumbled before looking at them.

“He’s a genius and he might be able to make something out of your notes.” Ellen told them so they all got together at the bar.

“All right. This stuff’s about a year’s worth of my work, so, uh…let’s see what you make of it.” John said, pushing a folder over to the blonde.
“Come on. This crap ain’t real. Ain’t nobody can track a demon like this.” Ash exclaimed after looking through it.

“I can.” John stated and Ash looked at him before looking back at it.

“These are nonparametric statistical overviews, cross-spectrum correlations. I mean…damn. They’re signs –- omens. If you can track ‘em, you can track this demon –- you know, like crop failures, electrical storms. You ever been struck by lightning? It ain’t fun.” Ash commented.

“Can you track it or not?” Sam asked.

“Yeah, with this, I think so. But it’s gonna take time. Uh, give me…fifty-one hours.” Ash mumbled as he gathered the papers and walked off, making Xander chuckle and his family look at him.

“Hey, man.” Dean called out.

“Yeah?” Ash asked.

“By the way, I, uh…I dig the haircut.”

“All business up front, party in the back.” Ash threw back as he vanished down the hall.

“What’s so funny?” Sam asked and Xander grinned.

“You’re reaction to him. I’ve seen Giles use weirder contacts and methods.” Xander answered. Sam nodded and then spotted a folder on the counter behind Ellen.

“Hey, Ellen, what is that?” Sam asked, pointing.

“It’s a police scanner. We keep tabs on things—“ She started explaining.

“No, no, no, no. The folder.” Sam said and she picked it up.

“Uh…I was gonna give this to a friend of mine, but take a look if you want.” She handed it over.

“Thanks.” Sam commented, already reading. Dean wandered off and John smiled slightly when Xander leant over Sam’s shoulder to read.

“You’ve gotta be kiddin’ me. A killer clown?” Dean exclaimed and Xander shivered. Why did it have to be clowns?

“Yeah, he left the daughter unharmed and killed the parents – ripped them to pieces, actually.” Sam explained as he read.

“And this family was at some carnival that night?” Xander asked and Sam nodded.

“Right, right. The Cooper carnival.”

“So how do you know we’re not dealin’ with some psycho carnie in a clown suit?” John asked over speaker phone.

“Well, the cops have no viable leads, and all the employees were tearin’ down shop –- alibis all around. Plus, the girl said she saw a clown vanish into thin air. Cops are sayin’ trauma, of course.” Sam told them and Dean smirked.

“I know what you’re thinkin’, Sam. ‘Why did it have to be clowns?’” Dean teased and then saw that Sam wasn’t the only one looking a bit upset.

“Give me a break.” Sam shot at him.

“You didn’t think I’d remember, did you? I mean, come on, you still bust out cryin’ whenever you see Ronald McDonald on the television.” Dean teased and they could hear their Dad chuckling over the phone.

“At least I’m not afraid of flying.” Sam taunted.

“Planes crash!” Dean answered.

“And apparently clowns kill.” Sam said and Xander shivered, making Dean frown.

“Can we talk about something else?” Xander asked and the older two shot concerned looks at him.

“So, these types of murders – they ever happen before?” John asked, realising Sam might not be the only son who had problems with clowns.

“Uh, according to the file, 1981, the Bunker Brothers circus. Same M.O. – it happened three different times, three different locales.” Sam answered.

“That’s weird, though. I mean, if it is a spirit, it’s usually bound to a specific locale -- a house or a town.” Dean said and Sam nodded.

“So how’s this one moving from city to city, carnival to carnival?” Xander asked, leaning forward from the backseat.

“Cursed object, maybe? Spirit attaches itself to something, and the carnival carries it around with them.” Dean suggested.

“Great. A paranormal scavenger hunt.” Sam grumbled and Dean laughed.

“This was your idea Sammy.” Dean pointed out and Sam slumped back in his seat.

“Dean, I cannot believe you told Papazian about the homicidal phantom clown.” John chided his eldest while Sam and Xander shared a grin.

“I told him an urban legend about a homicidal phantom clown. I never said it was real.” Dean answered as he grabbed a shotgun. Sam grabbed it off him.

“Put that down.”

“Oh, and get this. I mentioned the Bunker Brothers Circus in ’81 and their evil clown apocalypse. Guess what?” Dean asked.

“What?” Xander asked without looking away from the house they were staking out.

“Before Mr. Cooper owned Cooper Carnival, he worked for Bunker Brothers. He was their lot manager.” Dean answered.

“So you think whatever the spirit is attached to, Cooper just brought it with him?” John asked and Dean nodded.

“Somethin’ like that. I can’t believe we keep talkin’ about clowns.” Dean shook his head and then they settled into the minivan to wait. Sam and Dean lay out as best they could in the back to sleep while Xander and John sat up front to watch, they’d switch off in a few hours.

“So....” Xander trailed off, not sure what to say. He hadn’t spent much time along with his...Dad since they’d found out. John looked over at him, recognising how uncomfortable his youngest was.

“How did you find out?” He asked and Xander shrugged.

“Literally fell for the new girl beginning of tenth grade. Then two friends were taken from the local teen club, we managed to save one but....they turned Jesse. He was the first vampire I ever staked and it wasn’t even on purpose, he got pushed onto my stake. Sunnydale...people disappear all the time and it’s shrugged off. We managed to get the death rate down about twenty percent. We’ve saved the world more times than I like to think about but we’ve lost people, friends too. I’m just tired off nightly fighting and kind of sick of the group.” Xander rambled and John closed his eyes in pain.

“Fifteen...I didn’t let Dean or Sam join me on hunts until they were sixteen and they had years of training first. And we don’t end up fighting every night. Research can take days or weeks and then it’s usually a brief fight, sometimes if we’re lucky there’s no fight at all and we take the creature by surprise.” John told him and Xander smiled.

“Sounds nice.” Xander muttered and then fell silent, staring out the window. He straightened when the light in the living room turned on.

“Dean. Sam.” John called and both boys sat up, mostly awake. The clown from the circus stood at the front door and then the little girl opened it.
“Xander protect the girl.” John snapped as they headed for the house and Xander nodded.

“Wanna come in and play?” They heard the girl ask and then lead the clown inside.
“Wanna see Mommy and Daddy? They’re upstairs.” She rounded the corner with the clown and Xander lunged for her, shielding her with his body as Dean fired on the clown, sending it to the floor and the girl screamed.

“Sam, watch out!” Dean called and Sma moved out of the way but before John could take a shot the clown vanished and the girls parent ran down the stairs.

“Run to Mommy.” Xander whispered before pushing the girl towards the couple.

“What’s going on here?” The man demanded as his wife caught their daughter.
“Who the hell are you?” He demanded as his wife hugged the child.

“Get out! Get out of my house!” She screamed and the four ran out.

“Mommy! Daddy! They shot my clown!” They heard her telling her parents as they ran for the minivan.

“Sam! Xander!” John yelled as the doors slammed between them.

“Dean! Dad! Find the maze, okay?” Sam yelled and then he led Xander further into the funhouse.
“You okay?”

“Yeah, you?” Xander asked and Sam nodded. They moved as quietly as possible through the place, senses straining for any sign of the rakshasas. They finally came to a pipe organ that was playing itself. Sam got to work trying to remove one of the brass pipes while Xander watched his back. Both relaxed a little when John and Dean joined them,

“Hey.” Dean greeted them, relieved they were both okay.

“Hey. Where is it?” Sam asked as he continued to work.

“I don’t know. I mean, shouldn’t we see his clothes walkin’ around?” Dean asked and then he was pinned to the wall by a pair of knives.
“Dad!” Dean yelled even as Sam finally got one of the pipes free before dodging a knife. Xander moved so he was in front of Dean, holding onto a board he’d grabbed and ready to deflect any more knives that came his way.

“Dean, where is it?” John called.

“I don’t know!” He answered and then he saw a lever above his head, managing to move his arm far enough to pull it. Steam began to hiss out of the air vents, showing the creatures vague outline.
“Sam, behind you! Behind you!” Sam shoved the pipe back, causing it to collapse. As soon as it died Dean found himself able to pull the knives out. John moved to check it while Xander helped Dean get free
“I hate funhouses.” Dean grumbled.

“I hate clowns.” The twins muttered in unison and John just shook his head.

“Let’s get out of here. Anyone hurt?”

“No sir.” Dean and Sam answered at once and Xander shook his head.

TBC...