Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dean watched from the door as Sam hovered over Dawn who was asleep on the hospital bed. The soot had been washed from her skin though she still had an oxygen mask on and the usual monitors. He stepped into the room and Sam looked up, managing a shaky smile.

“How is she?” He whispered as he took the chair beside Sam’s.

“Doctor said she’ll be fine, all the tests were clear so she can leave in the morning.” Sam told him and Dean relaxed. He liked Dawn and the thought of her dying was not one he liked.

“I got a motel, we should go before you get kicked out.” Dean offered and Sam frowned, hesitating.
“You need sleep Sammy, I can see you’re warded the room, she’ll be safe till morning.” Dena pushed and Sam slowly stood. Dean gently steered Sam out of the hospital and towards the Impala. Poor kid was asleep on his feet by the time they reached the motel. Dean had to take a lot of his baby brother’s weight on the walk to the door and then to the bed farthest from the door. He lay Sam down, pulled his boots off and then covered him with the blankets. He smiled at the sight, Sam looked so young asleep. He slipped into the bathroom, took a shower and then got into his own bed.

----------------------------
Dawn was sitting on the edge of her bed when the brothers walked into her room the next morning, a doctor giving her one last check.

“Hey Dawn.” Sam called, moving to stand next to her and taking her hand.
“Is she okay?” He asked and the doctor nodded.

“She’s fine to be released. Keep an eye out for excessive coughing or tightness of chest. If you get any of that I want you to get straight to the ER, okay?”

“Yes doctor.” She answered, leaning into Sam’s side. The doctor left and Dawn stood, Sam hovering in case she needed help.

“Sam I’m fine, you don’t need to hover.” She chided softly, leaning up to kiss him. Sam held her close, burying his head in her hair.

“I was so scared Dawn, I thought I’d lost you.” He murmured and she wrapped her arms around his waist tightly.

“It’s okay Sam, I’m right here. Summers women are tougher than that.” Her comment made him chuckle and draw back.
“Don’t suppose you brought me any clothes?”

“Here Dawn.” Dean handed over the bag and she smiled at him.

“Thanks Dean. I’ll get dressed and then you’ll get me out of here?” She asked and Sam nodded. She slipped into the attached bathroom and Sam slumped into the chair he’d spent a good part of the night in.

“You okay Sammy?” Dean asked and his little brother shrugged.

“What happens now?” Sam asked softly.

“Personally I want to know why there’s a demon after you.” They turned to see Dawn in the bathroom doorway, dressed in the Stanford tracksuit and still braiding her hair.

“What?” Sam breathed in shock and Dean tensed where he was standing.

“Demon showed up last night, that’s why the apartment is now char broiled. It underestimated me and that’s the only reason I got out alive. And I don’t think we should discuss this anymore here.” She slipped her shoes on and headed for the door.
“Coming?” She asked and they slowly followed her to the lobby where she filled out her discharge papers and then they headed back to the motel. Dean watched as she easily crossed the salt line and various wards he’d set up the night before.

“Dawn? Why did you say demon?” Sam asked as Dawn sat on one of the room’s chairs.

“Because that’s what he was. And apparently he knows you Sam, killing me was meant to get to you. I felt him break the wards I’d put around the apartment so I had time to grab some things before he actually appeared.” She explained easily.

“What did he look like?”

“Human, older male except he had yellow eyes.” Both brothers stiffened at that and Dawn sighed.
“So you do know him. Sam what’s going on?”

“I....” Sam trailed off, staring down at the floor. Dawn looked from him to Dean who sighed but decided to answer.

“A demon with yellow eyes killed our mom when Sam was a baby. We’ve been hunting it ever since. How do you know about demons?” Dean demanded and it was Dawn’s turn to look pained.

“Because my sister and her friends fought them and I had a habit of being kidnapped as bait.” She answered softly.

“Your sister’s death?” Sam asked softly.

“Wasn’t an accident. She died saving my life.” Dawn answered just as softly. Sam winced and then walked over to her chair, pulling her up into a hug.

“Sorry Dawn.” He whispered and she smiled.

“Not your fault.” She answered.

“So your sister and her friends were hunters?” Dean asked and they separated from the hug.

“Hunters?” She shrugged.
“More like protection patrol. Sunnydale had nearly a fifty percent death rate when my family moved there, Buffy and the others got it down to thirty percent. After Buffy died it went up a bit again. I left for Stanford as soon as my forms arrived, night after night combat, my Mum and then Buffy dying, I had to leave. Been back once for Christmas first year, only phone calls since then, it’s just not the same. Guess we’ve both been hiding stuff, huh Sam?”

“Yeah.”

“So what happens now, cause I get the feeling that demon’s going to be back at some point?” She asked and watched the boys exchange looks.
“And no ditching me for my own safety. That things seen me and I got away alive when it wanted me dead, what colour should I paint the target on my back? Safety in numbers and all.” She pointed out sarcastically and Dean hid a laugh.

“Dad’s still missing, though he left us coordinates, I was planning on heading that way. I want you two to come with me. Dawn’s right, the demon knows about her now so she’ll be safer with us. I know you hate hunting Sam but if the demon wants you, you have no choice.” Dean argued and to his surprise Sam nodded.

“I know. I keep thinking about what would have happened if Dawn didn’t know about this stuff and it would have been my fault. I’ve gotten complacent and that nearly got Dawn killed.” Sam looked at her sadly and Dawn went to him, whispering that it wasn’t his fault.
“Before we go there’s something...I was planning to do this after the interview....and this is in no way the way I wanted to do this...Dawn thought Sam’s stammering was cute but Dean just found it annoying.

“Spit it out Sammy.” He groaned and Sam took a deep breath, dropping to one knee and pulling a small box from his pocket. Dean stared in shocked happiness, backing away to let them have their moment.

“Dawn Summers, will you marry me?” Sam asked nervously as Dawn stared at him. A brilliant smile slowly spread across her face and Dean grinned. Dawn let out a yell o0f joy and tackled Sam much to Dean’s amusement.

“Yes! Of course I’ll marry you Sam.” She answered and Sam grinned, taking the ring out and shakily slipping it onto her left ring finger.

“Way to go Sammy!” Dean congratulated, slapping Sam on the back as his brother stood up.
“Guess this means we’ve got a stop to make before hitting Colorado.

---------------------------------
“I Samuel Winchester, take you Dawn Summers, to be my wife. To share the good times and hard times side by side. I humbly give you my hand and my heart as a sanctuary of warmth and peace, and pledge my faith and love to you. Just as this circle is without end, my love for you is eternal. Just as it is made of incorruptible substance, my commitment to you will never fail. With this ring, I thee wed." Sam slid the slender white gold band onto her finger once Dean handed it to him.

“I, Dawn Summers, take you Samuel Winchester, to be my husband, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our friendship and love you today, tomorrow, and forever I will trust you and honour you I will laugh with you and cry with you. I will love you faithfully through the best and the worst, through the difficult and the easy. What may come I will always be there. As I have given you my hand to hold so I give you my life to keep so help me Goddess.” Dawn slid the matching ring onto Sam’s finger after Tara handed it to her.

“Having thus pledged yourselves each to the other, I do now, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the state of Nevada, pronounce you husband and wife.” The civil official pronounced and Sam leaned in to kiss his new wife. Cheering rang out through the small wedding chapel and they parted, both grinning.

“Congratulations Dawnie.” Xander pulled her into a quick hug. He’d been the one to stand in for her father and had walked her down the aisle with Tara and Willow as her bridesmaids. Dean had obviously been best man. Giles was in England or else Xander would have stood as groomsman. Dean had been the one to call the Sunnydale gang to secretly arrange for them to meet them in Vegas with a wedding dress and tuxes. Sam had been appropriately threatened with death by shovel if he ever hurt Dawn the night they had arrived, much to Dawn’s embarrassment. There was a small apocalypse in LA or else Faith and the gang would have been there too.

“To think Dawn’s the first of us to marry.” Willow commented only to be frowned at by Tara.
“You know what I mean sweetie. We had a nice ceremony but it’s not legal, Dawn’s the first to be legally married.”

“Our little Dawn all grown up and married.” Xander fake sobbed and got hit by both Dawn and Willow, making him laugh.

“You did good little brother.” Dean praised and Sam smiled at him.

“Thanks for arranging this and getting them here.” Sam answered and Dean shrugged.

“It’s your special day Sammy, Dawn needed her family here too.” Dean tried to ignore Sam’s gratitude and Sam just smiled at him.
“So does the brother-in-law get a kiss from the bride?” Dean asked and Dawn kissed him on the cheek.

“Thanks for everything Dean.” She whispered and Sam smiled as Dean actually blushed.

TBC...