Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
Let me know opinions on making this SamDean as well.

Dean fought against the hands restraining him; his heart was pounding in his ears so loudly he couldn’t hear anything as he fought. It was odd that hands instead of hooks were holding him down but that didn’t matter, he had to get free. And then slowly, a quiet sound began to filter in.

“It’s okay, you’re alright Dean. Just calm down.” A soft voice kept repeating and slowly he found himself relaxing under the gentle hands trying to hold him still.
“Open your eyes Dean.” That voice was familiar so Dean slowly forced his eyes open and found a young male leaning over him. Who...then Dean remembered the man who had come and said he could take him to Sam.
“That’s it, you’re okay now Dean.” The Master of Death said and Dean finally lay completely still.

“Sam, where’s Sammy?” He croaked out and then coughed.

“Here, drink slowly.” A glass was held before him and a gentle hand helped raise his head, Dean sipped eagerly at the water, enjoying his first taste in decades. The cup was removed and he was helped to sit up fully.
“How do you feel?”

“Fine. Where’s Sam, you said”

“Sam’s fine Dean, he’s asleep upstairs. You can see him soon, once I’m sure you’re are actually fine. Coming back from death isn’t exactly an easy thing you know.” That got Dean’s attention.

“I...I’m alive?” Dean stared wide eyed at the ‘being’ before him.

“Yes. It wasn’t exactly easy, I’ve never actually attempted something like that before which is why I want to check you over. Make sure everything’s working like it should.”

“But how...who are you?” Dean scooted back a bit, putting more distance between them.

“My name is Harry Potter; my title is Master of Death. I am...was human not sure what I’d be considered these days but I am immortal. I was asked to help you by an old friend who couldn’t intercede himself due to...politics you might as well call it.”

“Why you?”

“Because I can walk into Hell or Heaven without repercussions. I am beyond either side’s power and I really don’t like demons so anything that pisses them off I say go for it. Then again I don’t like most angels either... Okay so on to checking you over. Wiggle your toes please.” Harry asked and Dean obeyed, still in shock but wanting to get it over with so he could see Sam, if he was really upstairs. Soon enough he passed all the test and Harry moved away to give him room to stand. Dean finally got a good look around and found he’d been lying on what almost looked like an alter. He stumbled slightly but caught his balance and stepped away from the slab of...marble?
“Ready to see Sam?” Harry asked and Dean followed him from the room, finding it was a basement as they walked up the stairs and into a cosy looking house. Not really what Dean had been imagining given what Harry was.

More stairs led to the upper level and Dean was lead to a closed door. Harry opened it and Dean froze. Lying on the bed before him was Sam. He didn’t even acknowledge the seated figure in the corner as he ran to the bed, reaching out to touch his baby brother. Sam didn’t move which was odd, even asleep a hunter would react to touch. Sam was warm and his chest was rising and falling regularly with breath so he was alive.

“Sam?” Dean called but still his brother didn’t move.
“Sammy!” his call was a little more frantic.

“He’s all right Dean.” An unfamiliar voice said and Dean turned to see the seated man rising. This man appeared closer to his age, with short dark hair and blue eyes.
“I thought it best that he sleep until you were revived. He...he was not doing well without you.”

“Who are you?” Dean asked, standing between the two men and his brother.

“Castiel, Death’s Angel. While Harry was rescuing you I was with Sam to let him know you would be returning. His reaction was worrying.” Castiel answered and Dean tensed, didn’t Sam want him back anymore?
“As soon as he found out I would bring him to you he didn’t care if that meant he would die as long as he would be with you.” Castiel’s explanation let Dean relax; Sam still wanted his big brother. But to not care if he died...

“Why won’t he wake up?” Dean sat beside Sam, pulling his brother into his arms.

“We didn’t want him to wake up alone. Castiel can wake him now Dean.” Harry said and Dean looked between them, holding Sam close, but he eventually nodded. Castiel slowly approached and placed a finger on Sam’s forehead. Immediately Sam moved in his sleep, snuggling into Dean’s arms.

“Sammy.” Dean whispered and hazel eyes slowly fluttered open. Neither noticed the two men as they left the room. Sam focused on Dean and his eyes went wide as he scrambled out of Dean’s arms, falling off the bed and onto the carpet.
“Sam? Are you okay?” Dean tried to move closer but Sam moved away from him.
“Sammy?”

“Christo.” Sam whispered and Dean swallowed, how close had he come to being something that would react to that?

“Not a demon Sam.” Dean whispered, reaching out to his brother. He could see what Castiel and Harry had meant about Sam not doing well. Kid looked like he was hanging on to sanity and life by a thread.
“It’s me Sam, I’m here little brother.” Dean kept his voice quiet as he slowly crawled towards Sam. A shaking hand was raised towards him and then Sam was gently tracing his face.

“Dean?” Sam whispered and then he was throwing himself at his big brother, clinging to him desperately. Dean wrapped his arms around Sam, holding him close as Sam cried.

“It’s okay Sammy, I’m here.” Dean whispered. He’d had no doubts from the moment he’d seen him that this was Sam. He didn’t know what this Master of Death was going to demand in return for bringing him back and reuniting him with Sam and at the moment he didn’t care. All that mattered was Sam sobbing in his arms.

“You’re really Dean?” Sam choked out and Dean smiled at him.

“Yeah, it’s me Sammy. I’m here and I’m not leaving you again.” Dean assured him, praying he was telling the truth. Sam clung to him but the tears slowly stopped and he started up at Dean. Dean smiled and ran a hand through Sam’s hair, trying to sooth him. Would Sam let him this close if he knew what Dean had done?

“What happened to no, no chick flicks?” Sam mumbled and Dean tightened his grip.

“I think we both need it Sam. I missed you little brother.” Dean answered standing up so he could move to the bed, something made difficult since Sam refused to let go of him. He eventually managed to get them situated on the bed despite Sam’s leech impression and noticed that despite the fact Sam had slept for who knew how long his baby brother was fighting to keep his eyes open. Dean moved again and Sam whimpered, the sound tearing at Dean’s heart.
“Shhh. Just getting comfortable.” Dean whispered as he lay down, Sam curled into him.
“It’s okay Sam, go to sleep, I’ll still be here when you wake up.” Dean assured him and Sam shook his head, struggling to keep his eyes open.

“Always say that and I’m always alone.” Sam whispered and Dean shut his eyes.

“Not this time Sammy, I promise I’m not going anywhere. Just sleep.” Dean rubbed Sam’s back like he had when Sam was little and unable to sleep, sure enough it did the trick and Sam’s eyes slid shut, his grip on Dean relaxing in sleep. The door opened and Dean tensed but Harry smiled at him and slipped in, placing a tray of food on the bedside table.

“Get some rest.” Harry mouthed and then left, closing the door behind him.

------------------------------------
Sam woke slowly, his head pounding, most likely from alcohol but something about that felt off. Had he been crying again? The bed beneath him was not the typical motel one, it was too comfortable and clean. And there was warmth along his side, the warmth of another body. Had he been bad off enough to sleep with Ruby again? He slowly opened his eyes and then stopped breathing as he stared at a familiar face. Shaking fingers reached out to touch warm flesh as he began remembering what had happened. Was this really real?

“Dean?” He whispered and green eyes opened sleepily.

“Hey Sam. Feeling better?” Dean asked and then Sam wrapped himself around his brother.

“You’re still here.” Sam whispered and Dean nodded.

“Told you I’d still be here. Feel like eating?” Dean asked as he sat up and picked up the tray. Sam nodded and they ate in silence, Dean enjoying his first food in what felt like forever and Sam eating while staring at him.

“Where are we?” Sam finally asked and Dean shrugged.

“Harry Potter’s house is all I know. You remember how you got here?” Dean asked and Sam frowned, trying to remember.

“I was fighting a demon and another one came up behind me but a sword got it...there was a man, he said his name was Castiel and he could take me to you.” Sam answered, but it was a bit fuzzy.

“Apparently he put you to sleep and kept you that way till Harry did his thing and brought me back. He woke you up once I was here.” Dean told him and Sam nodded.

“Who are they? What do they want with us?” Sam asked. He knew Dean was worried about him, that he wasn’t acting like he used to but he couldn’t help it. He’d had nearly four months without Dean, four months of trying to make it on his own, of trying to find a way to bring Dean back...and it had taken its toll. Sam knew he was a mess, hooked on demon blood and half out of his mind but Dean was back now, Dean would make it all better.

“I don’t know what they want with us but I won’t let them separate us.” Dean told him, knowing Sam needed to hear it. Dean couldn’t believe the changes in Sam, how had he ever believed Sam would just move on after his death? The poor kid was a mess and Dean knew he wasn’t much better though he was hiding it better than Sam. Frankly he was surprised he’d actually managed to sleep, positive that he would be kept awake by memories of hell. How could he tell Sam what he had done there? That he had broken and started torturing others.

“I can’t believe you’re alive. How...Dean I...I buried you and it was....your chest was torn apart.”

“I know, I don’t know how this happened. I was in hell and Harry came and then I was in the basement.” Dean answered and Sam’s eyes went wide.

“You...you remember hell?” Sam asked shakily and Dean looked away.
“Oh Dean...this is all my fault. M’sorry.” Sam said and Dean looked at him.

“No Sam, I’m the one who made the deal. I couldn’t live without you, I guess I didn’t realise you need me just as much.” Dean admitted quietly.
“I...I can’t talk about it Sam, not now but one day.” Dean said, knowing Sam would ask. Sam nodded and then a knock sounded at the door.
“Yes?” Dean called and it opened to reveal Castiel.

“Good morning. Breakfast is ready downstairs if you’d like to join us. I’m sure you have many questions. There are clothes in the closet and fresh towels in the bathroom.” With that he left them alone.

Dean let Sam have first shower as he dug through the clothes, finding Sam and his own bags at the bottom of the wardrobe, their clothes freshly washed and hung. He was glad to have his own things but he missed his amulet. Sam re-emerged from the bathroom with just a towel around his waist and Dean looked him over for new scars and any other changes. Sam was thinner than he remembered though his muscles were more defined than they had been. Obviously the kid hadn’t been looking after himself properly. He tossed some clothes at Sam and watched him dress, mentally swearing at the way the clothes hung on Sam’s lanky frame. Sam looked at him and flinched, huddling in on himself and Dean went to him, pulling Sam up straight.

“You’re going to be alright Sam, we’ll fatten you up again in no time.” Dean told him with a smile before heading in for his own shower. When he finally got out he looked himself over in the mirror, relieved to find no scars from the Hellhounds but all his other scars remained. When he came out he found Sam looking him over as he dressed, just like he’d done and Sam seemed just as relieved to find no new scars.
“Time to face the music Sammy.” Dean said and Sam nodded, staying close by Dean’s side as they left the room and headed downstairs. They found their hosts sitting at a table spread with a mix of breakfast foods and two empty plates placed side by side.

“Eat up then we’ll talk.” Harry said and the brothers began to eat. Dean watched as Sam picked at his food, barely eating any. Harry spotted it too and left the table, returning with a vial.
“Drink this Sam, it’ll help.” Harry handed it over and Sam stared at it and then at Harry before uncorking it and swallowing. He pulled a face at the taste and Harry chuckled.
“Tastes foul I know but at least you didn’t do what I did the first time I had one.”

“What did you do? That must have been before I met you.” Castiel said and Harry nodded.

“Spat it out...on Snape.” Harry answered and Castiel’s eyes went wide and then he was laughing.

“And how long were you in detention for that?”

“A month of scrubbing cauldrons, not fun.”

“Sam?” Dean whispered as the two laughed and Sam looked surprised.

“I feel hungry.” He answered and began to eat much to Dean’s relief. Harry looked over and smiled at him. They ate the rest of the meal in silence and then went into the living room, Harry and Castiel curling up together on one couch, the brothers on another.
“Are you going to separate us?” Sam asked before anyone could speak and Dean caught the worried glance their hosts shared at Sam’s question. Harry leant forward and locked eyes with Sam.

“No Sam, neither of us will make you leave each other. I swear it.” Harry answered solemnly. Sam bit his lip but nodded and moved closer to Dean.
“Cas, am I seeing?” Harry whispered and Castiel nodded.
“Well shit, someone screwed up.” Harry muttered angrily.

“What are you talking about?” Dean demanded, wrapping an arm around Sam protectively.

“Just a cosmic level mistake. Let me guess, neither of you ever feels complete without the other? Dean you made the deal because...” Harry pushed and Dean swallowed.

“I couldn’t live without Sam. If I hadn’t distracted him that monster wouldn’t have gotten the drop on him, it’s my fault Sam died.” Dean answered softly.

“And I assume Sam felt similarly when you died?” Castiel asked and Sam nodded.

“Who’s in charge of things like that? Surely they realised....” Harry trailed off, eyes wide.
“Those bastards! Cas they...” Harry trailed off, too mad to continue but Castiel realised what he was saying anyway.

“If you are right than the plans go even further than even our friend may suspect. We must get word to him.”

“We will but for now we have a lot to explain and I don’t think they’ll be able to sit still much longer.” Harry said and then relaxed back into his seat.
“To understand what is going on and our parts in it I suppose it would be best to start at the beginning, or at least the beginning for me. My name is Harry James Potter-Black and I was born on the 31st of July 1980.” Harry stated and the brother’s eyes widened.

“But...you look younger than me!” Sam exclaimed and Harry shrugged.

“Later part of the story. My father was James Potter and my mother Lily Evans. They met at school, a very special school called Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. My father was a pureblood wizard, from one of the oldest families, my mother was a first generation witch, not even her sister, Petunia, had magic. They married straight out of school and I was born a few years later, in the middle of a war. Magical wars are terrible things, half the time when people died there wasn’t even a body left to bury. I’m not talking about the magic that comes from deals with demons you know of, our magic comes from within us. Like all humans we have the potential for both good and evil. About seventy odd years ago a wizard by the name of Tom Riddle went as bad as you can, gathered followers and started the war. He wanted to ‘purify’ the wizarding world by removing anyone that he saw as not being pure-blooded enough. My parents were part of a group opposing him. Shortly after I was born a prophecy was given. That prophecy led to him targeting my family. We went into hiding but...” Harry trailed off, eyes closed and Castiel lay a hand on his shoulder.

“They were betrayed by one of James’ friends. A crime Peter eventually paid for with his life.” Castiel said to save Harry from having to. Harry opened his eyes and smiled at Castiel in thanks.

“My father died trying to buy my mother time to get me and escape but it failed. My mother was given the chance to stand aside, she refused and died protecting me. He then tried to kill me and failed. I was left with my Aunt Petunia and her family after that. Let’s just say my childhood good have been better. I had one sanctuary, a nearby church where Pastor Richard took me under his wing.”

“He prayed that Harry would be protected and his prayed was answered by an angel who from then on watched over Harry.”

“When I was eleven I learnt the truth of my heritage and my parent’s death and started at their old school. What no one knew but some suspected was that Riddle wasn’t truly dead, he attempted to come back that year but I stopped him, my guardian angel stepped in to make sure I survived. I faced him again pretty much every year until when I was fourteen he used a ritual to gain a new body. It was shortly after that I met Castiel.”

“One of my superiors, Harry’s Guardian angel asked for my help in watching over Harry and I agreed. when he was nearly attacked that summer I stepped in.” Castiel explained and the brother’s eyes went wide.

“You’re an angel?” Dean choked out and Castiel smiled sadly.

“I was once.” Castiel answered.

“Eventually Castiel was my sole guardian and I learnt the awful truth about Riddle and myself. We shared a connection, because the night of his defeat he accidentally created a horcrux...me. As long as I lived he could never truly die. Not something a teenager wants to learn. I destroyed the other horcruxes with help from my friends and Castiel. I walked into the final battle and let him kill me but something happened. I was given a choice, to go on and join my family or come back and finish what I’d started.”

“You chose to finish it.” Dean stated and Harry nodded.

“I killed him but my temporary death had started something I had never wanted. Castiel...”

“I was Falling. We had become too close, I did not want Harry to die because I cared about him much more than an angel should be able to, let alone want to. My superior appeared and held me back, telling me to hang on, that it wasn’t over. When Harry got up...I had never felt such joy before.” Castiel admitted.

“On the hunt for the horcruxes I was given information on three magical artefact called the Deathly Hallows. I found out I already owned one, my father’s invisibility cloak. I had the second, the Resurrection Stone as it used to be a horcrux. The third was the Elder Wand and it had belonged to my old Headmaster before his death. I managed to find the current owner and defeat him, thus becoming the wands Master. But I didn’t claim the ring...I was scared of the consequences I guess. But after I killed Riddle the angel told me Castiel was Falling and that I had to claim the Hallows, so I did and became the Master of Death. He pushed Castiel at me and we kissed, bonding us together. Castiel is no longer an angel of heaven but he still has his angelic powers plus the magic he is able to tap from me. That’s why they call him Death’s Angel or the Angel of Death.”

“When Angel’s Fall one of two things happens depending on their crime, they are either sentenced to the Pit or stripped of their memories and powers and made human. I was becoming human when Harry and I bonded. Apparently the Master of Death needs someone capable of handing extreme power levels to help ground them. I keep Harry grounded, amongst other things.” Castiel explained.

“It was a few years later that we realised I had stopped aging. I was seventeen when I claimed the Hallows and twenty three when I stopped aging. I suppose it wouldn’t do for the Master of Death to die of old age. Anyway after the war we said our goodbyes and travelled the world. I’d never been out of England before and Cas hadn’t walked the world in centuries. Three years ago we settled down here. then a few days ago a note was left telling us a few things and how Dean needed to be removed from Hell.” Harry finished the story.

“But why me?” Dean asked and Harry sighed.

“The plan was to get to you in time, unfortunately what we were worried about had already happened.”

“What happened...” Dean trailed off, suddenly pale.

“Dean? What’s wrong?” Sam asked but Dean wouldn’t look at him.

“I think the two of you need to talk about what has happened in the time you’ve been apart. And you need to be completely truthful with each other.” Castiel stated, rising from the seat and pulling Harry with him.
“We will return in two hours.” With that they vanished, leaving Sam and Dena alone in silence.

TBC...