Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


‘Sammy?’ Dean called and then shivered, everything was dark and there was no answer to his call. It was unnerving and a bit too much like parts of hell for his liking but he made himself continue. He refused to believe there was nothing of Sam left...it couldn’t be true, Sam had moved when he’d first showed up after all. He dove deeper into Sam’s mind, searching for any sign of Sam but it just got darker the further he went and Dean hoped he wasn’t doing more damage to the kid. He pushed on as gently as he could and then...he plunged deeper in and then slammed into something. It was a barrier inside Sam’s mind. He calmed and then looked past it only to scream in horror.
‘Sam!!!’ But Sam couldn’t hear him.

All Dean could do was watched, horrified, as his death was replied repeatedly. Had Sam been living those ten minutes over and over for the last three years? No wonder he was locked up, the poor kid. That was a torture to match some used in Hell! He flung himself against the barrier continually, trying to reach Sam but it was useless. He didn’t know how long he tried until finally retreating.

‘I’ll be back Sammy, promise. I’ll get you out of there somehow.’ He swore as he soared through Sam’s mind until he was looking out of Sam’s eyes. Figuring Sam needed a healthy body when he woke Dean pushed himself upright only to nearly collapse. Despite the exercises done by therapists Sam’s muscles were all but gone. So Dean spent some time making Sam’s body move and stretch before making sure he was comfortable and then returning to the other body. He then got up and went over to tuck Sam in and then prepare his food. Mush was the only way to describe it but he figured he could slowly get Sam onto solids if he was the one in control during meals.

-------------------------------------
Dean gently bathed Sam, taking his time to make sure Sam was nice and clean. He kept Sam in the water as long as possible since he figured the warm water could only help him. He’d called Nick the other day, wanting another opinion on Sam’s mental state. He’d been shocked to hear what Sam was witnessing nonstop inside his own mind but had promised to search medical journals for anything that could help snap him out of the loop. It was...kind of nice to know they weren’t completely alone even though the doc had to be careful he wasn’t caught. Plus he had his own family to look after and all.

He poured some water over Sam’s head, careful not to get any suds in Sam’s eyes as he rinsed the shampoo out. Some water slipped into Sam’s mouth and he gurgled, making Dean start. He leant Sam forward so the water would drip out and it did but that sound...Sam had never done that when Dean fed him.

“Sammy? Sorry about that kiddo. Guess suds don’t taste too good.” Dean said, chuckling a little. He made sure to talk to Sam, hoping his words would get a reaction. He knew he didn’t sound like he used to but he hoped his tone and the words would reach Sam. He smiled as he saw a finger twitch slightly; those small movements gave him hope that some part of Sam could hear him, despite the fact that when he possessed him the barrier was as strong as ever. Even if Sam woke up, would he be sane after so long?

--------------------------------
As soon as he entered he realised something was different, Sam’s mind was.......a little lighter maybe? He headed for the barrier but then paused and listened, had he heard something.

‘Dean...............Dean..........Dean................’

‘Sam? Sammy can you hear me?’ He called anxiously.

‘Dean...............Dean..........Dean................’ The call continued without change and Dean’s spirits fell but at least Sam’s mind wasn’t so silent anymore. Though that could get a little annoying after a while. He headed for the barrier and got to watch his death on instant replay for a while, pondering how Sam had survived Lilith’s light attack. He remembered her now; he was surprised he could have forgotten the bitch’s name.

‘Come on Sam, let me in kiddo. I can’t help you if you want give me any hints!’ He pleaded before going to the front and starting Sam’s exercises for the day. He had managed to get to the point where he could make Sam’s body stand for a few seconds without over straining his body and he could now eat soup and sandwiches. He’d weighed Sam and the kid had but on a whole pound of the weight he had lost over the years. So Dean figured he was doing good in the physical department and he finally seemed to be getting somewhere with Sam’s mind, at least he hoped he was. He left Sam and went back to the body he was using, tucking Sam in for the night. He froze when Sam’s head moved in his direction but the hazel eyes were still blank and then Sam’s whole hand twitched. Dean reached out and took the hand, squeezing gently but there was nothing in return.
“Come on Sammy; try to squeeze my hand, please. You’re looking right at me, try to focus.” Dean asked but there was nothing and he finally let go and finished settling Sam in for the night. Demons didn’t need to sleep so he sat up and pulled out the laptop he’d gotten to do more research into their lives for things he’d forgotten, like the fact he was wanted by the FBI for things he had no clue about.

-----------------------------------
Dean kept up a constant stream of chatter as he made the bed, Sam was reclining in the chair Dean used, it was kind of hard to make it so Sam wouldn’t fall out of the chair but if he got the angle right the kid would stay fairly upright. He fixed the bed up and then decided to try something different. He looped an arm around Sam’s waist and gently lifted so Sam was standing upright. Sam’s head lolled to the side and his legs just folded under him so Dean scooped him up and carried him back to the bed. He’d kind of hoped that Sam’s body would know what to do and stand now that he had the muscle tone and strength to do so but it was not to be. He lay Sam down and then blinked as Sam’s arm jerked and nearly hit him.

“Sorry, did I do something to annoy you Sam?” Dean asked though he knew there’d be no response, still that was the biggest movement yet. He sat down in the chair and then left the body, he still didn’t really think of it as his, hovering over Sam for a second and watching for a reaction but there was none. Then again did he really want Sam to see his demon form and freak out? He slipped as gently as possible into Sam’s body and then into his mind.

‘Dean....Dean.....come back......Dean......come back....Dean......’ Sam’s soul or mind or whatever cried out and Dean was happy to pick up the new words. Extra words were good; you had to think to form words, right?

‘I’m here Sam, answer me please.’ He called but there was no answer, just the same words repeated continuously. He reached the barrier and pushed against only to freeze as he sort of slipped through. He looked around and then down, finding he looked exactly like the Dean on the floor, only less bloody.
‘Sammy?’ He called tentatively but there was no reaction from the Sam holding Dean’s dead body. He could do nothing as the scene once again reset and started again. But at least he could get through the barrier now. Maybe he could possess his other self? Figuring he had nothing to lose he stepped into the other Dean and raised a hand, sure enough the memories hand moved.
‘Sammy?’ He tried again and Sam tilted his head, still crying.
‘Sam listen to me, this isn’t real. You’re trapped in your memory of my death but this happened over three years ago. You need to wake up okay?’

‘Dean? I don’t understand.’ Sam choked out and the clock struck midnight.
‘No please no.’ Sam cried and Dean walked over, wrapping his arms around his brother, smiling when Sam hugged him back.

‘Sammy it’s okay, I’ve got you. Please wake up.’ Dean begged as he heard the hounds approach. Sam just stared at him, bewildered as the memory of Lilith or whoever she was spoke.
‘I know you can do it, it’ll be hard but I believe in you, I always have and I always will. Please Sam, wake up.’ Dean pleaded and then he was flung out of the memory, shocking him. He blinked Sam’s eyes and then tentatively called out.
‘Sam?’ But there was no answer. He went through the normal routine and actually managed a lap around the room before sitting down to eat the pre-prepared meal of soup, salad and sandwich. The fact he’d been able to talk to Sam was good, as long as it was really Sam or at least a part of him.

------------------------------
Dean was bathing Sam when his whole body jerked, sending water everywhere and nearly sending Dean into the tub.

“Sam!” he called panicked, as he tried to keep Sam’s head above water. Sam jerked again and then was still in his arms and Dean took a deep breath.
“Easy kiddo, you’re okay.” He soothed as he checked Sam over for injuries.
“Sammy?” He called and then grinned as Sam’s head moved slowly, but with a lot more control than he’d seen, until he was staring at Dean although his eyes weren’t focused.
“That’s great Sam, can you squeeze my hand?” He asked and event the lack of movement didn’t sadden him.
“Can you give me some sort of sign here if you can hear me? I know I sound different and it’s probably confusing but it’s okay. I’m here little brother.” Dean said and Sam blinked and then, to his joy, made a strangled sounding sort of noise.
“That’s great Sam. How about we get you out of the tube before you end up a giant prune?” He lifted Sam out and set to work drying and redressing him, noticing that Sam’s eyelids were drooping sleepily.
“You get some sleep Sammy, I’ll still be here.” He soothed and Sam’s eyes shut.

TBC...