Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Sam stayed in place behind his Master as the lady showed them the apartment. It was a nice place, a lot bigger than his Master’s current home and a lot newer.

“Having a Hunter in the building always reassures the other residents. I know anything actually getting so deep into a city is rare but still it does occasionally happen. There’s a basement with the appropriate things for the slave, left by a previous Hunter.” She explained and Sam felt a stab of panic. ‘Things’? He felt his breathing quicken and then a gentle hand brushed against his wrist and he calmed down. Though his Master had his back to him he’d obviously realised Sam was distressed and had acted but why?

“Thank you for the tour, there are still a few more places to look at so I’ll let you know.” Dean told her and then they left, getting into the Impala.
“Sam are you okay?” Dean asked softly and Sam briefly met his eyes. This Master didn’t seem to mind when he did and he found it easier to judge his Master’s intentions if he could see his eyes. All Sam could see in green eyes was concern and it confused him. Why did this Hunter act so differently to all the others he’d known?
“Sam....what she said about the basement....I’d never do that to you. We’ll find somewhere that will be more accepting.” Dean promised and Sam nodded shakily. Dean reached over to briefly pat his arm and then started the car. Sam spaced out for the drive to the next building, knowing that his Master would call his name if he was needed.

Dean glanced over at Sam, smiling slightly when he saw he’d spaced out. He guessed that for a slave the only safe place was within their own mind and he knew Sam would respond instantly if he called his name. He’d panicked the first time Sam had done it, thinking the younger male was ill and thoroughly confusing Sam when he’d snapped out of it. Sam had been terrified he would be punished for retreating but once Dean had realised there wasn’t anything wrong he’d told Sam it was okay for him to do it and that Dean wouldn’t disturb him unless necessary, he wasn’t sure Sam believed that though.

Dean was glad for the time alone, still trying to deal with the anger that woman had kindled with her disregard for Sam. He knew how most viewed psychics but for her to so blatantly offer......he clenched his teeth and his knuckles went white around the steering wheel before he managed to calm himself. He would not live somewhere that would expect him to treat Sam like that but they really did need a new place, his apartment was simply too cramped for the two of them. He spotted the next place and parked, taking a deep breath before looking over at Sam.

“Sam.” His Master’s voice jolted Sam back to reality and he looked around to find they were in a different part of the city.
“Only two more places to look at.” Dean told him and Sam nodded, waiting until Dean was almost out of the car before moving to get out himself. He obediently followed his Master towards the building, standing as close as he could. They were met just inside by the building manager who looked them over and then frowned when she saw Sam who ducked his head as was expected. He didn’t see the way her eyes tightened at his move but Dean did and he started to get a good feeling about this manager.

“Mr. Winchester?” She asked and Dean nodded.

“Dean, this is Sam.” He introduced Sam as well and saw her eyes widen slightly.

“I’m Nancy, the apartments over here. It’s on the ground floor which would make it easier to get to if injured and gives you ground floor windows if you feel like being paranoid about exiting.” She told him and Dean chuckled. She unlocked the door and they followed her inside.
“The Master bedroom is at the end of the hall, second bedroom is on the left and the bathroom on the right. The master bedroom has an ensuite as well.” She showed them the various rooms and Dean made sure to blatantly show Sam around the second bedroom. Sam looked up through his bangs, darting curious looks around the room and Dean smiled. Nancy watched them closely but Dean didn’t think she meant harm by it.
“We’ve never had a Hunter or their....companion here before.” She said and Dean looked at her.
“The building’s practically in the heart of the city and nothing’s ever bothered us. Most people here......you may want to look elsewhere if you’re going to be asking after the basement.” She stated boldly and Dean smiled.

“So there’ll be nothing said about Sam getting this room and his own furniture?” Dean asked and Sam tensed. Nancy stared at Dean with wide eyes before shaking her head.

“I...” She didn’t know what to say.

“Only reason Sam’s a slave is because I can’t free him.” Dean stated and Nancy relaxed.

“I’ll let the others know you’re not the typical hunter. That is if you want the place.”

“What do you say Sam? You like it?” Dean asked, reaching out to gently tip Sam’s head up. Sam bit his lip but nodded hesitantly.

“Looks like we’ll take it then.” Dean told Nancy who nodded.

A week later Sam stood in the bedroom again, looking around in awe. Sure the furniture was second hand but the drawers held the new clothes Dean had bought him and the mattress on the bed was thick and comfortable. He couldn’t believe it was for him and he knew it wouldn’t last but he would enjoy it while it did.

“Looks good.” He tensed as he heard his Master’s voice, turning and lowering his head to see him in the doorway.
“Can I come in?” Sam nodded and his Master entered the room, moving slowly over to him and tipping his head up with gentle fingers. His breathing hitched as his Master’s eyes stayed steady on his face.
“Sam this is your room, I won’t come in unless you say I can or if you’re in distress. You can even close and lock the door if you feel safer that way.” His Master told him, speaking softly.
“Look at me Sam.” His Master said and Sam braced himself before forcing himself to look his master in the eyes and his Master smiled at him.
“You don’t have to look down Sam; I won’t hurt you if you look at my face instead of my shoes.” Dean told him and Sam mentally scoffed. Sure.....and then one day he’d decide Sam should lick those shoes and feel grateful for it. Dean smiled at him and then moved away.
“Dinner’s almost ready.” He said and then he left Sam alone.

Sam moved over to the...his bed and sat down on the edge. This new master was so confusing. He didn’t act like any of the others Sam had known; he was kind and seemed to care but Sam kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. There was no way his Master could actually be this nice, no hunter was. And yet Sam wanted it to be real, needed someone to actually care about him as Sam and not for what his powers could do. Sighing he stood up and made his way to the kitchen where the table was set for two, food already on the plates. He hesitated but his Master nodded towards the table so he sat while his master filled their glasses with juice. They ate quietly and then worked together to clean up. After that they moved over to the couch.

“Dad sent me a hunt; we need to leave by the beginning of the week. It’s a werewolf so we have a few weeks to track them down before the next full moon. But there are a few things that need to be done before we leave.” Dean said, watching Sam for his reactions and he could see the fine tremor that began. Just what had hunting meant for Sam with his previous ‘Masters’?
“Sam it’s alright, I won’t let you be hurt. We can spar a bit then I’ll start teaching you how to use knives, move up to guns eventually. Until you can fight well enough you can stay at the motel, do research or something.” Dean said, seeing the flinch when he mentioned sparring. He had the bad feeling he knew what Sam’s previous masters had used sparing as an excuse for and it made him sick. He’d just have to keep working at showing Sam he wouldn’t hurt him. Maybe....he’d think about that later but it might be a good way to show Sam he wasn’t going to be tossed aside ever again. But for now he needed to show Sam that he would not hurt him.
“Might as well start now. Lets push the couch back; it’ll give us enough room for the basics.” Dean stood and Sam nervously followed him.
“Okay show me what you’ve got, attack me.” Dean said and Sam stared at him in fear.

“Master?” He whispered and Dean sighed.

“I need to see what you can do Sam, you need to attack like you’re in a real fight. It’s okay.” Dean told him and Sam hesitated before throwing a weak punch that Dean easily deflected.
“Come on Sam, you can do better than that.” Dean barked and Sam attacked again, stronger this time. Dean ducked but grinned and nodded at Sam.
“Good. Keep going.” Dean kept encouraging him and soon Sam was attacking him while Dean continued to deflect and dodge his blows, needing to see what Sam could do. He knew Sam wasn’t ready for Dean to actively defend and attack back. They kept going until Sam managed to land a hit, taking Dean by surprise and the hunter landed hard on his rear. He blinked up at Sam in surprise but then scrambled to his feet as Sam collapsed, curling into a ball.
“Sam?” Dean called softly but there was no answer until he realised Sam was mumbling something. Dean moved carefully closer so that he could hear.

“Sorry master, bad slave, sorry master.” Sam kept repeating it and Dean shut his eyes in pain before he sat down and pulled Sam into his arms, rocking them both slowly.

“Shh, it’s okay Sam. I’m not mad at you.” He whispered, trying to calm the distraught man down.

Sam waited for the blows and harsh words but they never came. He fell silent and then he heard his Master’s voice, not harsh like he’d expected, but gentle, saying that it was okay, that he wasn’t mad. And then Sam realised his master was holding him and rocking them and he tensed but his master just kept whispering to him and slowly Sam relaxed, going limp in his master’s arms, worn out from the sparing and then his terrified crying. He didn’t even notice when he fell into an exhausted sleep, feeling safe for the first time in years.

Dean looked down and smiled sadly when he saw that Sam had cried himself to sleep. He didn’t want to wake Sam but there was no way he could carry him to his room. He gently slid out from under Sam and then pushed the couch closer as quietly as he could, Sam didn’t move. He went to Sam’s room and grabbed his pillow and blankets, setting up a temporary bed on the couch before lifting Sam as gently as he could, placing him on the couch and then covering him with a blanket. He ran his fingers through Sam’s hair, smiling softly at him before moving to close up the apartment and head to his own room for the night.

Sam was groggy and his head felt heavy when he woke up. He blinked up at the ceiling in confusion before looking around. He recognised the couch he was on, it was his Masters but the room didn’t look familiar and then he remembered they were in the new apartment. The couch had been made up into a bed for him but why? He sat up, blankets pooling in his lap and then he looked down at his hand, seeing his knuckles were a little bruised and he remembered. Sam froze in terror, choking back a sob. He’d knocked his master down, he’d hit him! He couldn’t move from the couch, obviously his master had put him there but he huddled into the corner, hugging his knees to his chest and burying his face in them, fighting not to cry. He’d ruined everything, no way would master let him sleep on the bed or wear the new clothes now.

Dean stumbled down the hall, still half asleep, only to freeze as he heard a soft, terrified whimper come from the couch. He looked over and his heart sank. Sam was pressed as deep as he could get into the corner of the couch and looked like he’d gladly right through it. Dean slowly walked over and sat down beside the cowering slave.

“Morning Sam.” He greeted softly and for a second Sam stopped breathing all together. Sam started shaking and Dean slowly reached out to him, unable to just let Sam keep sobbing. He gently pulled Sam into his arms, holding the terrified man close and rocking them while using one hand to run his fingers through Sam’s sleep messed hair. Sam was whimpering fearfully, his eyes screwed shut and Dean just wanted to make him feel safe.
“Shh Sam, it’s okay, you’re safe. You need to relax, come on. Just take deep breaths.” Dean instructed gently, for once glad that Sam would do anything he was told to as Sam began to take deeper breaths, body slowly calming. He gently brushed Sam’s face, wiping the tears away and smiled as hazel eyes slowly opened to stare fearfully up at him.

“Ma..ma...” Sam was stammering fearfully, unable to get the word out so Dean gently place a finger over his lips.

“Shh, just relax Sam. Take your time.” He whispered gently, knowing that even a normal speaking volume would be enough to panic Sam in his current state. He moved his hand so he was rubbing Sam’s back, hiding a smile when Sam hiccupped a few times.
“That’s it; can you tell me what’s wrong?” He asked, despite the fact he had a feeling he knew.

“Hit you......beat me?” Sam whispered fearfully and Dean felt a wave of revulsion hit him. He’s been pretty sure of what had happened to Sam in the past, now it had been confirmed. He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself before gently cupping Sam’s face. Sam’s eyes immediately slammed shut and his breathing began to increase again.

“Sam look at me, it’s alright.” He said, his voice not quite as gentle bit still soft and Sam opened his eyes, tears filling them and Dean gently brushed them away.
“Sam I swear to you, no matter what happens or what you do I will never beat you.” Dean swore fiercely and Sam just stared at him.

Sam stared up at his master, still being held gently in his arms much to his shock, his mind spinning madly in confusion. He’d hit his Master, knocked him to the ground even, that meant he had to be beaten. But this Master was saying he’d never beat him. There had to be a trick involved....right? And yet......his reaction to Sam saying he would beat him had been odd. There had been something in his Master’s eyes, almost like.....horror? Could it be this master really meant it? He would never beat Sam? Sam forced himself to think over everything that had happened in his weeks with his new master and one thing did stand out, he had never raised his voice, let alone a hand, to Sam. When he did touch Sam it was always soft and gentle, he even let Sam space out and spend time in his own mind. All in all it was very confusing for someone who had only known violence for many years.

Dean watched as Sam struggled internally, keeping up the soothing motion of his hand on Sam’s back the whole time. He wanted Sam to get used to the fact that touch did not mean pain, it was step one in getting Sam to see him less as his master and more as a roommate and friend. Dean could very readily admit that Sam was very good looking and if Sam had been another hunter or even a civilian he would have been flirting with him from the start. But he wouldn’t do that; it would confuse Sam and make him think he had to offer himself to Dean. The only way Dean would ever take Sam to his bed would be if Sam truly wanted it, not because he wanted to please his master, and Dean knew the odds of that ever happening were slim to none. Sam had obviously been still a child when taken from his family or else he would have been able to retain some sense of freedom, he accepted his lot far too easily though. Dean was determined to show Sam he was more than just a slave or psychic, he was still a person. Looked like he’d be going to see Ash soon. Sam needed stability and a home, Dean would give them to him.

TBC...