Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dean grinned as he saw Sam hunched over the book when he opened the door. Sam instantly looked up, tensing, but then relaxed a little when he saw it was just Dean.

“How’s the reading going Sam?” Dean asked as he put the bags down.

“Good Master.” Sam answered softly as Dean joined him on the couch.

“I got you something.” Dean told him and Sam peered up at him through his bangs. Dean smiled and handed over the small bag. Sam hesitantly opened it and reached in, pulling out a thin metal chain with tags attached. He glanced curiously at Dean who reached under his shirt to pull out his own.
“Name, blood type and emergency contact. These things have really come in handy several times. Figured you should have a set too, in case we get separated on the job.” Dean explained and Sam nodded, slipping the chain over his neck. Dean grinned and reached out, tucking them under Sam’s shirt for him.
“Looking good Sam. You packed? We need to leave early in the morning.” Dean said and Sam nodded quickly.

“Yes Master.” He answered verbally too just to be safe.

“Good. I’ll get dinner started, pop in a movie and we’ll eat on the couch.” Dean said and Sam froze. A movie? Seeing Sam wasn’t moving Dean slowly reached out and placed a hand on his shoulder, Sam tensed at his touch so Dean kept his hand there until he relaxed a little.
“Just read the backs and find one you think is interesting. I don’t mind what you pick.” Dean told him, making and keeping eye contact and Sam slowly nodded, slipping off the couch. Dean headed into the kitchen, watching out of the corner of his eye as Sam slowly began looking at his movie collection. He had expected it to take a bit more for Sam to do it and was happy Sam was showing a little more liveliness when it came to doing new things. He finished up and the settled in to watch one of his tamer movies, in fact it was one left over from when he was a kid. But he supposed it made sense; with the life Sam had led he probably didn’t want to see anything violent or supernatural. After they’d eaten Sam helped him clean up and they went to bed.

Dean’s eyes opened and one hand disappeared beneath his pillow, wrapping around his silver knife as he lay silent, trying to figure out what had woken him. Then he heard it and was up like a flash, bolting for Sam’s room. He paused in the doorway and dropped his knife when he saw Sam was alone and uninjured. He moved over to the bed but hesitated, unsure what to do that wouldn’t panic the young slave. But with the way Sam was thrashing around and screaming Dean didn’t have many options. He got on the bed and tugged Sam into his arms, pinning Sam’s arms to his chest so he couldn’t hit Dean even as Sam began to fight harder.

“Shh, its okay Sam, you’re safe. You’re having a nightmare and need to wake up. Come on Sam.” Dean called, slowly getting louder when Sam didn’t respond. Sam suddenly choked on a scream, going rigid in his arms and Dean released a hand to gently run it through Sam’s hair.
“Shh, calm down. Take a deep breath. It’s okay, you’re safe.” Dean soothed as Sam sobbed for air but slowly his breathing calmed down.
“You awake?” Dean asked and Sam managed a shaky nod. When Sam responded Dean released his other arm but kept up the comforting touch, using his other hand to rub Sam’s back.
“Want to tell me about it?” He asked and Sam trembled.
“Hey, it’s alright. You don’t have to Sam.”

“Please Master.” Sam whispered and Dean frowned.

“Please what Sam?” Dean asked gently as Sam started to shake.

“Please no, please don’t.” Sam whimpered and Dean paled.

“Sam no, I came in cause you were screaming and thrashing. I was only holding you so you wouldn’t hurt yourself. I promised, remember Sam?” Dean slowly sat up, moving his body further from Sam’s.
“Just calm down, I’ll go get you a glass of water.” Dean told him, getting up and heading for the kitchen. When he got back Sam was sitting with his back to the headboard, his arms wrapped around his knees.
“Here.” Dean said as he handed Sam the glass. Shaking hands took it and Sam slowly sipped at it.
“Feeling better?” Dean asked once Sam had finished.

“Yes master.” Sam whispered, shame filling him. He’d not only woken his Master but had freaked out over him holding him. His Master had just been restraining him and he’d……

“It’s okay Sam, I’m not mad. Think you can sleep or should we just hit the road early?” Dean offered and Sam bit his lip.
“Driving it is. Go grab a shower, I’ll get breakfast.” Dean said and Sam got up. He felt so bad for waking Dean up and starting their hunt early but there was nothing he could do about except get ready. He took a quick shower and got dressed before going to the kitchen, his bag in his hands. He put it down by the door and accepted the bowl of cereal. While he ate Dean went to get his own shower and dress. Sam looked up when his Master came back, dressed in jeans, t-shirt and a leather jacket. What made Sam freeze was the gun Dean was slipping into a holster. Dean looked up and saw the look on Sam’s face. He quickly finished securing the gun and then went to Sam’s side.
“Sam?” He asked and Sam jerked back, eyes wide with fear and Dean felt a flash of disgust as he remembered some of Sam’s scars, some of them were old bullet wounds.
“Come on, let’s go.” He finally said, unable to find a way to make Sam understand he wasn’t like his previous masters. They both grabbed their things and headed downstairs to the parking garage.
Ten minutes outside the city Dean glanced over and smiled when he saw Sam was fast asleep in the passenger seat. He was glad Sam could sleep so close to him, especially after the way he’d panicked earlier. He hoped he was doing the right thing, bringing Sam, but there was no way he could leave him at the apartment, if he didn’t get the wolf this month he’d have to stay until the next full moon. Hopefully he could find a decent enough motel for them that Sam wouldn’t feel too threatened. He couldn’t get separate rooms, it was too dangerous on a hunt and no motel would give a slave their own room anyway.

Sam somehow managed to sleep the whole five hour drive, not that Dean was complaining, he wasn’t used to having a passenger for such long trips so he didn’t know if he was meant to talk or just play music to pass the time. Maybe Sam would sleep the whole way home too? He found an okay looking motel that had a vacancy sign and pulled in.

“Sam? Rise and shine, we’re there.” He called and Sam mumbled sleepily before his eyes snapped open and he looked around wildly.
“Take it easy Sam.” Dean called and Sam looked at him, slowly relaxing.

“Master?”

“We’re there. Come on, we need to go get a room.” Dean told him, getting out and Sam followed, wincing slightly as his body protested the movement after the hours spent curled in his seat. He took a step, stumbled and then felt a steadying hand on his arm. He turned to see his Master staring at him in concern.
“Just take it easy Sam, there’s no rush.” His Master soothed and Sam nodded, lowering his head in shame. His Master squeezed his shoulder and then removed his hand. They walked into the lobby and the young woman’s eyes lit up as she spotted Dean before she saw Sam and the way he stood behind Dean. She sneered him and Sam flinched.
“You got a problem?” Dean demanded and she stammered.
“Thought not. We need a room for at least a week, maybe for the month.” Dean told her, handing over his card and she nodded, hastily typing.

“There’s a nice king room available sir.” She offered and Dean shook his head.

“Two queens.” He stated and her head shot up.

“Sir…”

“You heard me.” He stated flatly and she nodded.

“Room 157. Have a nice stay.” She handed him the key card and he left, Sam following him silently to their room. Dean opened the door and looked around before letting Sam in.

“You take the bed closest to the wall Sam.” Dean said and Sam edged past him, to place his bag on the bed even as Dean dumped his own.
“Hungry?” Dean asked and Sam nodded slowly.
“Okay, I’ll be back in a few minutes. Don’t open the door for anyone, alright?” Dean asked and Sam nodded.

“Yes Master.”

“Grab a shower, read, watch TV, whatever you want till I get back.” Dean called as he left. Sam looked around the room before deciding that after his long sleep in the car a shower would feel good. And his Master had said he could have one after all.

He emerged from the bathroom as the door opened and Dean walked in with a bag of food. Dean smiled at him, putting the food down on the table.

“You look more awake. Feel better?” Dean asked.

“Yes Master.” Sam answered, hesitating at the table and Dean pushed the second chair towards him. Sam sat and took the food Dean passed him, eating slowly.

“So we’ve got three days till the full moon. I figure we’ll see what the cops have and then look around, get an idea of who it is before the full moon. When it comes to the hunt itself you’ll stay here.” Dean explained and Sam peered up at him.

“Master?”

“Yeah Sam?”

“You…you won’t need me as bait?” Sam asked hesitantly and Dean gasped.

“Bait? Sam….no.” Dean whispered and then he got up to kneel in front of Sam, gently reaching out to push Sam’s bangs of his face. Sam fought not to flinch but the look in his Master’s eyes…..there was no anger, just sadness.
“Never Sam, you’re a person, just like me. I don’t care what the law says. I just wish you could believe me.” Dean told him and Sam looked down. Dean stood and went back to his lunch.
“Eat up kiddo.” Dean whispered softly and Sam glanced at him in shock before starting to eat again.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Sam followed Dean out of the police station, staying quiet as he sensed his Master’s frustration. Dean grumbled softly as he got in and Sam rushed around to get in his side. Dean watched him and then smiled.

“Relax; I’m not leaving without you. Just had to get out before I gave in and decked that idiot. Come on; let’s go see what we can find for ourselves.” Dena said as he started the engine. Sam sat in silence, looking around as Dean drove. He felt Dean glance over at him and moved a little further into the corner.
“Hey, it’s okay Sam. I’m not mad or anything, just annoyed. Stupid small town cops made out job a bit harder, that’s all.” Dean assured him and Sam nodded, relaxing. Yes, Dean had never hit him or anything but he was still waiting for it to happen, especially now that they were on a hunt. Sam knew he was gonna screw it up somehow and then Dean would take it out on him.
Well at least we’ve got things narrowed down a little, we’ll drive around see what pops up.” Dean said and then they fell silent. They drove around, occasionally stopping to look at something and headed back to their room after a few hours, stopping to grab dinner on the way.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Just stay in here, no matter what. I’ll be back after dawn. If I’m not call this number. Bobby’s a good friend; he’ll come and see what’s going on. Okay?” Dean asked and Sam nodded, eyes wide with fear.
“Hey, it’s gonna be okay. I’ve been on loads of werewolf hunts before. I’ll be back before you know it.” Dean told him, reaching out to touch Sam’s face.
“Just try and get some sleep or something.” Dean whispered and Sam nodded. Dean smiled and went to leave only to stop as he felt a hesitant hand tug at his jacket sleave. He turned to see Sam had moved behind him.
“Yeah Sam?”

“Be careful.” Sam whispered and Dean smiled at him.

“I will.” Dean promised and then he was gone. Sam went to the window and peered out, watching the Impala drive away. He took a shaky breath and the crawled into bed, curling up into a ball. He was scared that Dean would get hurt or worse, he didn’t know this Bobby person and why would he keep Sam if Dean died? He’d be sent back to the sale or worse with how many Masters he’d had. He whimpered softly hugging his pillow. He didn’t believe Dean, despite how badly he wanted to, but he was still the best Master he’d ever had.

Sam froze, blood running cold as he heard something scratching at the door. He slammed his eyes shut as he huddled under the covers, praying it was just a stray car or dog, until the door started to shake under its assault. Taking a deep breath Sam sat up and looked over at his Masters weapons bag. Slaves weren’t allowed to handle weapons but he didn’t want to die and hadn’t his Master said he was going to teach him how to use knives and then guns? He slipt out of bed and hesitantly moved over to the bag, slowly opening it and staring into it. He pulled out one of his Master’s spare guns and checked the ammo, silver. Sam took a deep breath and aimed shakily at the door, hoping his Master was alright and on the way.

Dean swore as he came up empty, again. It was weird; it was like the werewolf was hiding or something. He did another circuit and then headed back to the Impala, only to notice the slashed tires. His gun came up and he searched but the night was normal, no unnatural stillness caused by the presence of a supernatural creature. He stared at the tires and then took off running for the motel, praying he was wrong and that if he wasn’t he’d get there in time.

Dean bolted into the parking lot, air burning in his lungs to see a dead body sprawled in front of their room and a crowd gathering nearby.

“Sam!” Dean screamed and there was movement from inside the room. Sam hesitantly emerged and then Dean was there, checking him over for wounds.
“Oh God Sam, I thought……are you hurt? What happened?” Dean murmured and Sam stared at him, hazel eyes wide with shock and relief.

“Master.” Sam whispered, half collapsing in Dean’s arms.

“Shh, its okay Sam, I’ve got you.” Dean soothed, shifting so he could lift the taller male. While Sam had put on weight since Dean had bought him he was still fairly light considering his height so it made carrying him a little easier.

“Sir?” A hesitant voice called and Dean turned to see the woman that had checked them in.

“Call the cops to clean this up. We’ve done the job so we’re leaving.” Dean told her and she nodded. Dean lay Sam down on the bed, gently running his fingers through the brown hair. Sam stared up at him through glazed eyes.
“Go to sleep Sam, I’m here, you’re safe.” Dean soothed and Sam’s eyes slid shut. Dean smiled at the trust that showed and then looked around the room, seeing one of his guns on the floor. He picked it up and found Sam had used every shot. He looked over at the body and saw everyone had hit it, not through the heart, only one had managed that, but he had scored a hit with every shot. Poor kid must have been terrified. Dean shook his head and then gathered their things before going back over to Sam and lifting him again. Sam murmured sleepily and Dean hushed him. Carting Sam’s sleeping form and their gear back to the Impala was a pain but watching Sam immediately curl into the seat, his breathing deepening even further made it worth it. He quickly packed the car up and then set to work changing one tire and patching the others, he could find a tire store next town over. He wanted to get out of town before anyone realised it was a slave that had shot the werewolf.

```````````````````````````````````````````
Sam blinked, slowly coming awake to find he was in his Master’s car. He sat up, looking out the window to see they were well away from civilisation.

“Morning Sam. How are you feeling?” His Master asked gently and Sam glanced over at him.

“I……..what happened Master?” Sam asked and his Master frowned.

“What do you remember?” His Master asked even more gently.

“You left and I tried to sleep…..there was scratching……….the werewolf! It…it came to the motel.” Sam shivered and his Master reached over to place a hand on his shoulder.

“Its okay, the wolf is dead and you’re okay.”

“Dead…..I killed it! I’m sorry, I didn’t……I used your gun….so sorry Master.” Sam whispered and Dean pulled over. Dean turned in his seat and reached out, raising Sam’s head so that he could look at Sam.

“It’s alright Sam. I’m glad you used my gun. You saved everyone at that motel by doing what you did and I’m proud of you. When I got back and found the tires slashed I was petrified I was going to get back too late. You hit him with every shot Sam, no stray fire to hit civilians….you did great. I know you were probably terrified and that’s okay, I was too when Dad started taking me hunting.” His Master told him and Sam slowly looked up at him.

“You’re not mad?” Sam asked softly and his Master shook his head.

“I promise, I’m proud not mad.” The older man assured him, squeezing Sam’s hand and smiling softly. With that Dean pulled back onto the highway. Sam stared out his window, watching the scenery as it passed. It didn’t look like they were headed home so he glanced at his Master.
“You know you can talk, ask questions, whatever Sam.” His Master reminded him and Sam took a deep breath.

“Yes Master. Where….where are we going?”

“To see an old friend of mine. His name’s Ash and when it comes to anything technology related the man’s a genius. Just ignore his personality.” His Master explained and Sam nodded warily.
“Its okay, Ash is pretty laid back and all, he can just…..let’s just say he doesn’t always think before he talks.” His Master explained and Sam relaxed a bit at that. He watched the countryside fly by until his Master finally pulled off into a parking lot outside a bar.
“Keep close to be, it’s a hunter bar. You probably won’t be the only um slave in their but, well I guess you know how hunters can be.” His Master warned as they got out and Sam instantly moved closer. Dean reached over and draped an arm over Sam’s shoulders, pulling him even closer but leaving his gun hand free, just in case. Sam stiffened at the unusual contact but Dean smiled at him.
“Just stay close and no one’ll bother you.” Dean whispered as they hit the doors.

“Well it’s about time you came to visit!” A female voice called and Sam blinked, his eyes adjusting to see an older woman headed their way.

“Hey Ellen, sorry it’s been a while.” Dean greeted her, pulling her into a hug.

“Yeah well you tell that father of yours he better show up here soon or else!”

“Yes ma’am.” Dean told her, grinning.

“And who is this?” Ellen asked, turning to Sam who ducked behind Dean, practically plastering himself to Dean’s back. Dean he knew, Dean was safe.

“It’s okay Sam, Ellen’s an old family friend. She’s not gonna hurt you.” Dean soothed, trying to tell Ellen with just his eyes.

“Come on out honey, I won’t hurt you.” Ellen called gently and Sam peered over Dean’s shoulder at her. Ellen realised pretty quick why Sam was terrified and shot Dean a glare.

“Come on Ellen, you know I hate it. Dad made me. Anyway, Sam this is Ellen, Ellen this is Sam.” Dean said, gently tugging Sam out from behind him.
“It’s okay Sam, Ellen won’t hurt you.” Dean soothed and Ellen smiled at Sam.

“You two want something to eat or drink?” She asked and Dean glanced at Sam before nodding.

“Wouldn’t say no to some sandwiches. Is Ash around?”

“He’s out back, I’ll bring the sandwiches out. You get Sam out of here, there are a few round today that…”

“Gotcha. Come on Sam, let’s go see Ash.” Dean said, leading the taller male through the Roadhouse and into the back corridor. Dean’s impressive scowl and family reputation kept the other hunters from getting too close thankfully so they made it unmolested. Sam stared in surprise at the door with a handwritten sign on it declaring it to be the office of a ‘Doctor Badass’. Dean just chuckled and knocked.
“Hey Dr Badass, got some business for ya.” Dean called and the door was wrenched open.

“Hey Dean come on in.” The man said before vanishing inside again and Dean nudged Sam inside. Sam kept his head down but looked around, eyes hidden by his hair. The room was…different, that was certain. Sam had never seen so much technology in one place before.
“So watch can I do for you?” Ash asked, glancing at Sam.

“I need a chip.” Dean stated and Sam turned to stare at his Master with wide eyes. A chip? Surely he couldn’t mean….. Ash looked from Dean to Sam.

“Sure. Got the papers?” Ash asked and Dean handed over Sam’s papers. Ash sat at a computer and got to work. Sam stared at his Master in shock, unable to believe it. A chip….it was every slaves dream and horror, depending on the circumstances.

“M…Master?” Sam whispered shakily and Dean turned to him. He walked over so he was standing right in front of Sam, looking up into his eyes. Sometimes it was easy to forget that Sam had a good four inches on him in height with the way he tended to hunch in on himself. Dean reached out and put his hands on Sam’s shoulders. Sam shivered but didn’t flinch, something Dean was happy about.

“Sam….I am never sending you back there. If there was a way to free you I’d do it but there isn’t. The chip is the next best thing. I am going to look after you and if anything ever happens to me you’ll be with people you will take care of you.” Dean promised him softly. Sam shook with shock and Dean wrapped his arms around him, hugging him. Sam stiffened but then slowly relaxed.
“I promise, I’ll protect you.” Dean whispered into his ear and Sam nodded.

“All done. You figured out who he, in case the worst happens?” Ash asked, not wanting to mention Dean dying. Dean nodded in response.

“Bobby Singer, Jim Murphy, Jessica Moore and Ellen Harvelle.” Dean told him and Ash added the information. They all watched as another machine whirred to life. A little while later it shut down and Ash picked up the tin chip, putting into the injector.

“Better sit down kid.” Ash told him and Dean led Sam to the bench, standing in front of him and gripping his shoulders.
“This is gonna sting a lot so you just squeeze Dean’s hands or something. Got to get it in deep enough that nothing’ll dislodge it.” Ash explained and Sam stared up at Dean fearfully. Dean moved his hands so he was holding Sam’s.

“Just take a deep breath Sam. It’ll be over in a few seconds. Ash is right, just squeeze my hands.” Dean told him and Sam gripped his hands.

“Okay, tip your head forward a bit.” Ash instructed and Sam flashed Dean one last fear filled glance before doing as instructed. He shivered as he felt the cold metal against his skin. There was a small hiss and then pain. He felt Dean squeeze his hands in return and then he was tugged forward until he was resting in his Masters arms.

“It’s okay Sammy, it’s over now. I’ve got you.” Dean whispered in his ear and Sam clung to him, slowly relaxing as the pain faded.
“That’s it, just breath Sam.” Dean soothed and Sam slumped in his arms.

There was a soft knock and then Ellen slipped in with the food. She looked around and then realised what had happened, her gaze going to the young man slumped in Dean’s protective embrace. She smiled sadly at them before leaving the room. She’d never seen that look on Dean’s face before and it broke her heart. Dean was in love with Sam but she doubted the younger male would ever return the feeling. She’d seen it in his eyes, Sam was too much the beaten slave to ever let someone that deep in or to believe it was real.

TBC…