Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.

Chapter 8

Dean leant heavily on Bobby as the older hunter helped him towards the apartment. Dean had checked himself out of the hospital early much to Bobby’s annoyance but Dean was desperate to get home to Sam after being gone much longer than planned. Bobby had his keys so it wasn’t long before the door was open and they staggered inside only to freeze at the sight of John sprawled on the couch, empty bottles around and no sign of Sam. “Sam!” Dean called in alarm, looking around and ignoring his drunken father.

He moved away from Bobby, stumbling painfully to Sam’s room. “Sammy?” He called shakily but the room was empty. He went to leave only to hear a faint noise and moved over to the closet. He opened it and collapsed to the floor, wounds and shock making him unable to stand any longer. “Shh, its okay Sammy, I’ve got you.” He called shakily, reaching out to gently tug Sam from the cramped space. Sam was gagged and blindfolded, wrists and ankles locked in handcuffs. He removed the gag to hear the high whining noise of distress Sam was making and it broke his heart. “It’s okay Sammy, I’m here.” He whispered as he gently removed the blindfold, using his hand to block the light from Sam’s eyes. Sam screwed his eyes shut still making little noises of fear and Dean rubbed his back. “Bobby!” he called and Sam cried out in terror.

Bobby stopped in the doorway and stared in horror. “What the hell?” He demanded, surely Dean hadn’t….

“Find John’s handcuff keys would you?” Dean asked, voice tight and Bobby nodded, feeling shame that he’d thought for even a second Dean could have left the boy like that. “It’s alright Sammy, gonna have you free in a minute.” Dean soothed, seeing the bruises on Sam’s exposed skin and he had to struggle to hold his anger in. He didn’t want Sam to think he was mad at him. Dean held Sam to his chest, rocking him gently as Sam kept making little almost animal noises. How long had the poor kid been locked up? He looked up as Bobby came back with the keys and bruised knuckles. Dean held a terrified Sam as Bobby gently but swiftly unlocked the cuffs and began massaging his feet while Dean worked on his hands and arms to restore proper blood flow. They then lifted Sam together and got him onto the bed, Dean struggling not to let the pain show as the move pulled at his stitches. Bobby left and returned with the first aid kit, warm water and clothes and then sighed.

“I’ll get John out of here, I dumped your stuff in your room……you gonna be okay alone?” Bobby asked gruffly and Dean turned to smile at him.

“We’ll be okay, thanks Bobby.”

“Alright, I’ll stay in town just in case for a few days, call if you need anything.” With that Bobby left, literally dragging John by the sound of it and Dean turned back to Sam.

“Sam…..Sammy can you hear me?” He whispered and Sam whimpered, eyes still closed against the light. “Shh, I know the lights bright, just keep your eyes closed. Need to see to patch you up then I’ll make it darker.” Dean promised, gently cleaning the abrasions and checking for any broken bones. He had to wrap Sam’s left wrist but it was only badly sprained and not broken thankfully. “Okay gonna turn the lights down now.” He warned, getting up painfully to turn Sam’s room light off, leaving the hall one on and the door mostly closed before returning to the bed. He gently pulled Sam into his arms, rubbing his back as Sam shook and whimpered.

Sam was barely aware of being taken out of the closet but slowly things started filtering through and he panicked, he wanted his Master! But then ever so slowly he became aware of a familiar voice and hands touching him. Master? He whimpered and then felt a soft kiss being placed on his forehead. Master! He shuddered and tried to move closer to him, body protesting any movement after so long in one position but he forced himself to move.

Dean relaxed when Sam seemed to respond to him, trying to get closer so he gently pulled Sam close enough that their bodies touched fully, holding him securely as he kept whispering to him, telling him he was safe. Ever so slowly Sam’s eyes began to flutter and then open, flinching from even the small amount of light in the room but then Dean found hopeful yet timid hazel eyes looking at him, still a bit unfocused. “Hey Sammy, there you are.” Dean whispered pushing sweat soaked hair back off Sam’s face, hating it when the kid flinched in a way he hadn’t in ages. “Shh, it’s okay, you’re safe now.”

“M…..mas….mas….ter…” Sam stammered out, throat dry and raw.

“Shh, don’t try to talk yet.” Dean soothed, loathing the fear in Sam’s voice. Dean grabbed a glass of water and gently lifted Sam’s head so he could drink. “I am so sorry Sam, when you’re feeling better you can tell me what happened. I swear I didn’t know this would happen. I don’t know why he came here……I told him not to come back. He does I’ll shoot him for doing this to you. The hunt went wrong or I would have been back days ago……woke up in hospital……I called but no one answered……I was so worried about you.” Dean babbled as he held Sam, hoping Sam would understand Dean hadn’t had any part in what had happened.

Sam felt disconnected, hearing his Master’s words through a fog of pain and fear but some of the fear began to fade as his Master gently looked after him, giving him water for the first time in a long time. Feeling warm and at least safer his eyes began to droop and he felt a gentle hand stroking his hair, a soft voice telling him to sleep, that he was safe. Sam felt sleep tugging him under but before it did he moved a hand, clinging desperately to his Master’s shirt.

Dean had planned to stay but the hand clutching his shirt in a death grip cemented the idea. He was going to pay for it later, especially since he hadn’t had any pain killers but to help Sam he could deal with it. Dean tugged the blankets up over them and stayed awake, soothing Sam every time a nightmare seemed to be starting before finally falling asleep himself hours later.

Sam woke up, feeling safe and warm for the first time in what felt like forever. He didn’t want to wake up and for it to be a dream so he stayed relaxed, tyring to go back to sleep but his wrist was throbbing and he needed the bathroom badly, he didn’t want to make more of a mess in the small space but…….it didn’t smell. He remembered it smelling bad because he’d wet his pants over and over before the lack of water had stoped that. He shivered and tried to move only to find something keeping him still and he whimpered.

Dean woke, feeling Sam shiver and then whimper and he moved his hand to stroke Sam’s hair, tying to comfort him. Terrified hazel eyes slowly opened and Dean managed to smile for him. “Hey, you in pain?” Dean asked and Sam choked on air. “Sammy hush, just breath. You’re safe now.”

Sam clung to the gentle sound of his Master’s voice, he was here, his Master was back. Sam looked down to find he was clinging to his Master’s shirt and he tried to let go but his fingers wouldn’t unclamp and he whimpered in fear.

“Shh, it’s alright Sammy. I’m not mad, you can hold on to my shirt as long as you like.” Dean promised and Sam glanced up at him timidly. “Sammy I swear I never wanted you to be hurt. I don’t know why he was here when I told him not to come back.” Dean whispered, stroking Sam’s face, feeling the flinch but keeping up the gently touch in an effort to show he wouldn’t hurt him.

Sam slowly burrowed closer and then began to cry and Dean hid his wince of pain when the younger male brushed against some stitches, instead holding him as Sam sobbed brokenly. “I’m here Sammy, you’re safe now.” He promised. Dean held Sam as he cried, even after the tears stopped flowing Sam kept crying until he was utterly exhausted and then Dean helped him sip some more water. From the dryness of his lips Dean figured John hadn’t even given him much water….if Dean hadn’t signed himself out of the hospital he could have come home to find Sam dead. Once Sam had drunk as much as he could Dean took a deep breath, he knew they both needed to get up and move around but he also knew it was seriously going to hurt. Besides a nice hot bath would help loosen Sam’s muscles up and Dean could at least wipe himself down since he couldn’t get his wounds wet.

“Hey Sammy, don’t go to sleep yet.” He whispered and Sam obediently forced his eyes open to look at him timidly. “This is gonna hurt but we’ve got to get you up and moving around. The longer we wait the worse it’ll get. I’ll run you a nice warm bath and you can soak out those cramped muscles for a while.” Dean told him and while the bath sounded nice the thought of moving terrified him. Dean rubbed his back and finally Sam nodded.

Sam watched Dean sit up and saw the quickly hidden wince, confused. Why was his Master in pain? Sam swallowed and then took a good look at his Master, seeing the bruise on his face and the paleness of his skin. “M…..mas..ster?” He managed to whisper and Dean looked at him in concern.

“What’s wrong Sammy?” Dean asked softly.

“H..hu..rt?” He asked and Dean sighed.

“Guess I can’t keep anything from you can I? The hunt went bad, I’ll be okay though.” He promised and Sam nodded nervously. Dean got up slowly, one hand on the nearby wall until he was sure he could stay standing and then he gently tugged Sam to the edge of the bed. “Okay let’s take this nice and slow.” Dean murmured as he moved Sam’s legs over the edge one at a time, heart breaking every time Sam whimpered in pain. It took almost half an hour to get the two of them into the main bathroom and they were both exhausted when they made it but Dean started the bath and then moved to help Sam out of his filthy clothes. He helped Sam into the tub and then painfully stripped off himself, washing with a soapy cloth at the sink.

Sam stared in horror at the rows of stitches and bruises littering his Master’s body, unable to suppress a whimper and Dean turned to him.

“What’s wrong Sammy? Water too hot?” He asked and Sam shook his head, eyes locked on a row of stitches and Dean saw where he was looking. “I’m okay Sammy, just sore.” Dean assured him and Sam nodded, looking away. Dean sighed and then winced as he washed up. There went all the progress he’d made with Sam over the last months and all it took was a few days with John Winchester to revert Sam to the scared slave he’d been at the start.

TBC…