Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
I’ve been trying to keep this fairly canon, except for the Wincest and Sam being an angel but it’s getting harder.

Dean sat on the bed, cleaning and sorting his weapons. It had been more than a week since he’d heard from any angels and he was happy not to be sent on any hunts but he missed Sam and even Castiel to his surprise. He’d been on one hunt since the Samhain debacle and that was just because he was in the town when it had been the full moon. Without Sam.....nothing really seemed to matter. This was why he’d made the deal in the first place. Only reason he was hunting for the angels was because he was petrified by the idea that they’d send him back to hell and because Sam was now one of them, if the angels lost then Sam would die again. He would fight so that Sam would be safe, even if Sam was different now.

He’d started dreaming about hell, remembering what had happened to him....and what he’d done there. But he’d also dreamt of Sam being there, saving him. He hated himself for what he’d done but Sam had saved him so there had to be something in him still worth saving. He picked up a bottle of whisky and downed some before a hand suddenly grasped the bottle and tugged it out of his grasp. He looked up and saw Sam’s vessel standing over him and frowning.

“What?” He grumbled as Sam made the bottle vanish.

“Why are you drinking so much?”

“Do you even really care?” Dean snapped, turning away to hide the fact that he could feel tears gathering. Maybe drinking so much wasn’t a good idea when it made him so emotional. He flinched when there was no answer but then suddenly Sam was with him on the bed, wrapping his arms around Dean. It didn’t feel as right as it used to, they weren’t really his Sammy’s arms after all, but it was better than nothing.
“Sam? What about?” Dean asked and Sam pointed at the wall behind them. Dean craned his neck around to see a symbol on the wall, drawn in blood.

“Castiel found it; it blocks us from Heaven and Hell’s sight briefly.” Sam explained softly, holding Dean close.
“I do care Dean; do you think I’d risk being caught in hell if I didn’t? Multiply what was done to you by a thousand and you’ll be close to what happens to captured angels. I chose this to be near you again. I am sorry this is so hard for you, maybe it would have been better for you if I hadn’t told you, if you thought I was just dead.” Samuel admitted and Dean turned around in his arms.

“No! Anything is better than nothing. Please Sammy.” Dean started out with a shout but finished in a whisper and Sam nodded.
“Sam....”

“Yes?” Samuel asked and Dean was relieved that Sam wasn’t acting all ‘remote angel’ for the moment.
“Dean what’s wrong?”

“Could.....could you stay here tonight? I just......I need sleep Sam.” Dean whispered and Sam shut his eyes.

“You remember now.” The angel stated and Dean seemed to curl in on himself.
“Dean nothing that happened there was your fault.” Sam told him, reaching out to raise Dean’s face.

“Why save me? What was left that’s worth it?” Dean asked and Sam felt something clench inside him....grief, it was grief. He hadn’t felt that since before his transformation. How could he feel it? Was he going to Fall? He closed his eyes again and searched within himself.......no there was no diminishment in his Grace. So why was he feeling so strongly? Maybe it was because he was still such a new angel. Sam opened his eyes and pulled Dean closer, cradling him close. Dean’s eyes went wide as Sam stared at him.

“You are worth it Dean, don’t you ever think otherwise.” Sam told him firmly, cupping Dean’s face in his hands.

“Sammy?” Dean choked out and Sam licked his lips before leaning in and kissing him, chastely, on the lips. Dean gasped, feeling something rush through him at the contact.
“Sam?” He asked again when Sam pulled back and he saw the angel was smiling, not Sam’s wide dimpled smile but a small, gentle smile.

“Feel better?” Sam asked and Dean suddenly realised that he did.

“What did you do?” Dean asked, fingers brushing his lips.

“I’m not really sure; I still don’t know everything about being an angel. I just had to help you. You’ll be able to sleep tonight, not sure about tomorrow though. The protection is fading, I have to go.” Samuel told him, features beginning to close off and Dean grabbed his hand, squeezing gently.

“Be careful?” Dean asked and Samuel nodded.

“You too. Dean, try to cut back on the alcohol.” Samuel said and Dean nodded.

“I’ll try.” Dean promised and then he was alone again.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean parked the Impala and got out, looking around. Everything looked normal but that didn’t mean anything with demons. He walked up to the front door and knocked, seeing that there were two cars in the drive.

“Mr. and Mrs. Milton, sheriff’s office!” He called and then pulled his gun when the door swung open. He slipped inside and then grimaced as he spotted the two bodies on the ground. He searched the place and sure enough there was sulphur. Looking around he spotted a third family member in the photos but no third body. Digging around he found what he needed, the daughter, Anna, had been admitted to a psych ward. So the question was, was the demon after her or had it been after her parents? Looked like he needed to go visit the girl, make sure this demon wasn’t after her. It was going to be a pain if it had moved on, he’d probably pass the hunt on if that was the case.

`````````````````````````````````````````
“Of course I wanna help her if I can.” The doctor told Dean as they walked down the hall.

“Now, the orderly has no recollection of Anna's escape?” Dean asked, sounded like the demon had showed up.

“Apparently, she knocked him unconscious. The blow caused some amnesia. He doesn't even remember coming into her room.”

“That's a hell of a right hook to knock out a guy that's got 80 pounds on her.” Dean commented, wondering just what he’d walked into.

“We think she may have planned this, waited behind the door.”

“Right. Uh, you mentioned Anna's illness was recent.”

“Two months ago, she was happy, well-adjusted, journalism major, lots of friends - Bright future.”

“So, what happened -- she just... Flipped?” Dean asked.

“Well, that's the tragedy of schizophrenia. Within weeks, Anna was overtaken by delusions.”

“What kind of delusions?”

“She thought demons were everywhere.” The doctor handed him a sketch book and Dean flipped through it.

“Interesting.”

“It's not uncommon for our patients to believe that monsters are real.”

“Well, that -- that's just batty.” Dean commented as he turned the pages, only to stop as he came across one labeled ‘Raising of The Witnesses’ and the next page was ‘Samhain the next seal is broken’.
“That's revelations.” He murmured, getting an odd look.

“Since when does the book of revelations have jack-o'-lanterns?”

“It's a, uh, it's a little-known translation.”

“Well, Anna's father was a church deacon. When she became ill, her paranoia took on religious overtones. She was convinced the devil was about to rise up and end the world. I hope you find her. It's dangerous for her to be out there alone right now.” The doctor told him and Dean smiled, thanking her for her help before leaving.

````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean looked from the church to the picture Anna had drawn. It was a long shot but he was running out of places to check. He got out and checked his gun before heading inside. He looked over every floor before eventually making his way to the attic. He paused a she spotted a figure hidden by shadows.

“Anna? It’s okay; I’m here to help you.” Dean called out gently.

“Who...who are you?” A soft voice called and she slowly stepped out of hiding.

“Dean.”

“Dean....not Dean Winchester?” She asked and he blinked.

“Uh, yeah.”

“The Dean?” She smiled and Dean just stared at her.

“Well, yeah. The Dean, I guess.”

“It's really you. Oh, my god. The angels talk about you. You were in hell, but Castiel and Samuel pulled you out, and some of them think you can help save us. And some of them don't like you at all. They talk about you all the time lately. I feel like I know you.” Anna gushed and Dean just stared at her in shock. She knew?

“So, you talk to angels?” He asked cautiously but she shook her head.

“Oh, no. No, no way. Um, they probably don't even know I exist. I just kind of... Overhear them.”

“You overhear them?” He asked for clarification and she nodded.

“Yeah, they talk, and sometimes I just... Hear them in my head.”

“Like... Right now?”

“Not right this second, but a lot. And I can't shut them out, there are so many of them.”


So, they lock you up with a case of the crazies when really you were just... Tuning in to angel radio?”

“Yes. Thank you.” She said, smiling at him and Dean put his gun away.

“Anna, when did the voices start? Do you remember?”

“I can tell you exactly -- September 18th.” She said and Dean paled.

“The day I got out of hell.” He whispered.

“First words I heard, clear as a bell – ‘Dean Winchester is saved.’”

Well, at least now we know why a demon wants you so bad. They get a hold of you; they can hear everything the other side's cooking. You're 1-900-angel.” He muttered.

“Hey, um, do you know -- are my parents okay? I -- I didn't go home. I was afraid.” She asked and Dean bit his lip.
“Dean!” She gasped, pointing and he turned to see a statue bleeding from its eyes.

“Shit!” Dean looked around for a way out and then spotted the door. He grabbed Anna and shoved her in the closet, motioning for her to keep quiet and she nodded fearfully.
“Cas? Samuel? No would be a great time for one of you to show up!” he called but there was no answer and he took what cover he could, aiming towards the stairs. An older male came up them and smirked when he spotted Dean.

“Hello again, Dean.” The demon greeted and Dean shot him.
“Tickles, you’ve got to do better than that.” The demon teased.

“What do you want?” Dean demanded, going for Ruby’s knife.

“Come on, Dean. Don't you recognize me? Oh, I forgot -- I'm wearing a pediatrician. But we were so close... In hell.” The demon taunted as it grabbed Dean, slamming Dean into a support beam.

“Alastair.” Dean gasped out in fear and shock. What was Alastair doing out of hell? He managed to wrench his hand around, slamming the blade into the demons arm.

“You're gonna have to try a whole lot harder than that, son.” He said and Dean kneed him, throwing him off balance. Dean grabbed Anna out of the closet and then ran for the window. He used his body to shield her as the fell and then he pulled her up and they ran for the Impala.

```````````````````````````````````````
“Hey, Dean, you think it'd be safe to make a quick call, Just to tell my parents I'm okay? They must be completely freaked.” Anna asked, pacing the rundown shack they were hiding out in.

“Uh.” Dean didn’t know what to say.

“What?” Anna asked and Dean took a deep breath.

“Anna, um... Your parents...”

“What about them?”

“Look, I'm sorry.” Dean said and her eyes went wide in horror.

“No, they're not...” She whimpered and Dean reached out to place a hand on her shoulder.

“Anna, I'm sorry.” He offered gently.

“Why is this happening to me?” She asked and Dean stared at her.

“I don't know.” He said and her head whipped round to stare at the door.

“They're coming.” She whispered.

“Back room.” Dean told her, pushing her towards the door and Anna ran for it. The doors opened with a blast and Castiel, Uriel and Samuel walked in.

“Please tell me you're here to help. We've been having demon issues all day.” Dean said, relieved to see two out of the three.

“Well, I can see that.” Uriel sneered at him and Dean rolled his eyes. He looked at Sam and then hid a frown; it was like Sam was trying to tell him something but what?

“We're here for Anna.” Castiel stated.

“Here for her like... Here for her?” Dean asked, not sure what was going on.

“Stop talking. Give her to us.” Uriel snapped.

“Are you gonna help her?” Dean asked and Sam refused to meet his eyes.

“No she has to die.” Castiel stated.

“You want Anna? Why?” Dean demanded, noticing that Sam still wouldn’t look at him.

“Out of the way.” Uriel demanded and Dean placed himself more securely in front of the door.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. Okay, I know she's wiretapping your angel chats or whatever, but it's no reason to gank her.”

“Don't worry. I'll kill her gentle.” Uriel told him and Dean looked at Castiel and Sam.

“You're some heartless sons of bitches, you know that?” Dean spat in anger, forcing himself not to look at Sam. Sam, who had told him he still cared about him, had kissed him and taken away the nightmares for a while. Had it all been a lie?

“As a matter of fact, we are. And?” Castiel said and Dean felt something in his heart break. In that instant Sam finally looked at him again but this time Dean refused to look at him.

“And? Anna's an innocent girl.” Dean growled out.

“She is far from innocent.” Castiel argued.

“What's that supposed to mean?”

“It means she's worse than that abomination you called brother. Now give us the girl.” Uriel said and Dean’s hands curled into fists a she fought the urge to hit the angel. Sammy had never been an abomination.

“Sorry. Get yourself another one. Try JDate.” Dean said and caught Sam smiling slightly out of the corner of his eye.

“Who's gonna stop us? You?” Uriel sounded amused and then Dean found himself on the floor.
“Castiel, stop this, please.” Samuel whispered, wanting to go to Dean’s aide. Uriel hit Dean and Samuel shuddered, it wasn’t right.

“I've been waiting for this.” Uriel said and Sam looked at Castiel who took a step towards Uriel to stop him when all three were engulfed by light and flung from the room.

“What the... “ Dean muttered, looking around and then he ran for the back room. He opened the door to find Anna with her hands and arms covered in her own blood.
“Anna Anna!” He yelled, seeing all the blood and then the sigils on the mirror.

“Are they -- Are they gone?” She asked shakily and Dean felt horror grip him.

“Did you kill them?” He demanded, Sam couldn’t be dead.

“No. I sent them away... Far away.” She answered and the horror faded, Sam was okay just gone for the moment.

“You want to tell me how?” He asked, refusing to show how much the last few minuted had shaken him up.

“That just popped in my head. I don't know how I did it. I just did it.” She told him.

```````````````````````````````````````
Dean was alone in the panic room. Bobby, Anna and Pamela were upstairs, dealing with the whole, Anna used to be an angel thing but Dean needed the time alone. He didn’t know what to do or think anymore.

“Yes you do, you always have.” Dean stiffened as he heard Sam’s vessel’s voice. It was deeper than his Sammy’s, not as nice as far as he was concerned and the last thing he wanted to hear at the moment.

“You just stood there.” Dean whispered, keeping his back to the angel. He stiffened when a tentative hand came to rest on his shoulder.

“There was nothing I could do Dean. Castiel was moving to stop Uriel when we were banished. Dean.....there are things you don’t know about her. She isn’t as innocent as you think.” Samuel told him softly and Dean turned slowly to face him.

“I don’t know what to believe anymore.” Dean whispered.

“I am sorry Dean. I wish I could tell you everything.” Sam told him and Dean snorted.
“Dean. You can’t trust her, please.”

“Can I still trust you?” Dean asked and Sam touched his face.

“Only you can answer that.” Sam looked up for a second.
“I have to go. Dean. Don’t try and get in Uriel’s way.” With that Dean was alone again. He took a shuddering breath and then headed upstairs.

``````````````````````````````````````````````
“Pamela get home okay?” Anna asked, joining Dean in the scrapyard.

“Yeah. She said she was sorry. It's just after last time, she, uh... This is just a little too rich for her blood.” Dean answered.

“I don't blame her. You guys should do the same.” Anna told him.

“Well, we're not that smart. Can I ask you something? What do they want me for? Why did they save me?” Dean asked, hoping she could answer what Sam couldn’t or wouldn’t.

“I'm sorry. The angels aren't talking about it. And it was after I fell.” She said and he nodded.

“That's another question. Why would you fall? Why would you want to be one of us?”

“You don't mean that.”

“I don't? A bunch of miserable bastards...Eating, crapping, confused, afraid.”

“I don't know. There's loyalty... Forgiveness... Love.” She argued.

“Pain.”

“Chocolate cake.”

“Guilt.”

“Sex.” Anna smirked and he rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, you got me there.” He admitted, not that sex was high on his list since getting back.

“I mean it. Every emotion, Dean, even the bad ones... It's why I fell. It's why... Why I'd give anything not to have to go back. Anything.” Anna explained but at the moment Dean wouldn’t mind having no emotions, it would mean seeing Sam wouldn’t hurt so much.

“Feelings are overrated, if you ask me.” He whispered.

“Beats being an angel.”

“How's that possible? You guys are powerful and perfect. You don't doubt yourselves or God or anything.”

“Perfect... Like a marble statue. Cold... No choice... Only obedience. Dean, do you know how many angels have actually seen god? Seen his face?”

“All of you?”

“Four angels. Four. And I'm not one of them.”

“That's it? Well, then how do you even know that there is a God?”

“We have to take it on faith... Which we are killed if we don't have.” Anna told him.

“Huh.”

“I was stationed on earth 2,000 years. Just... watching... Silent... Invisible... Out on the road... Sick for home... Waiting on orders from an unknowable father I can't begin to understand. So don't tell me that –“ Dean cut her off by laughing and she looked at him.
“What is so funny? What?”

“Nothing. Sorry. It's just...I can relate.” He told her and then he headed inside, not wanting to talk anymore.

`````````````````````````````````````````````
“It's beautiful.” Dean whispered, looking at the large tree.

“It's where the grace touched down. I can feel it.” Anna told him, looking at the tree.

“You ready to do this?” He asked her and she shook her head.

“Not really.”

“Anna, what are we even looking for?” He asked, studying the tree.

“It doesn't matter. It's not here. Not anymore. Someone took it.” She informed him sadly and he groaned mentally. Great, just great. He knew of no way to stop the angels when they came for her again, or Alastair if he showed up. And he couldn’t fight Sam, not over some angel turned human. So they were pretty much screwed.

`````````````````````````````````````````````
“Anna's grace is gone. You understand? She can't protect us. We can't fight heaven and hell. One side maybe, but not both. Not at once.” Bobby stated after Dean had told him about their failure.

“Um...guys? The angels are talking again.” Anna said and both hunters turned to her.

“What are they saying?” Dean demanded.

“It's weird... Like a recording... A loop. It says, ‘Dean Winchester gives us Anna by midnight, or...’”

“Or what?” Bobby demanded, worried for the boy.

“’or we hurl him back to damnation.’” She whispered and Dean slumped against the table he’d been leaning against.

“Anna... Do you know of any weapon that works on an angel?” Bobby asked and Dean straightened.

“To what? To kill them?” She asked and Bobby nodded.

“Nothing we could get to... Not right now.” She answered and Dean relaxed. While he wouldn’t mind taking out Uriel there was no way he’d let an angel killing weapon near Sam.

“Then we should move out. Find somewhere out of the way that we can ward. It might buy us more time.” Bobby said and Dean nodded, heading out to pack.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean flipped through the book, not really expecting to find something but he wanted to be alone and that cabin wasn’t exactly spacious. Thanks to the various wards and hex bags Anna said they should be pretty safe from either side for the moment. He felt like swearing when he felt someone come up behind him but figured she wanted better company than a grouchy old man.

“Hey. Holding up okay?” He asked to be polite.

“Trying.”

“Yeah.”

“A little scared, I guess. So, um... Dean... I just wanted to thank you.” She said and Dean looked over at her.

“For what?”

“Everything. You guys -- you didn't have to help me –“

“Hey, that's kinda "thanks for trying" speech, you know? Participation trophies suck ass.” Her told her, frowning at the look on her face.

“I don't know. Maybe I don't deserve to be saved.” She admitted and Dean glared at her.

“Don't talk like that.” He snapped at her.

“I disobeyed. Lucifer disobeyed. It's our murder one, and I knew it. Maybe I got to pay.” She told him and Dean looked away.

“Yeah, well, we've all done things we got to pay for.” He choked.

“I got to tell you something. You're not gonna like it.”

“Okay. What?”

“About a week ago, I heard the angels talking... About you... What you did in hell. Dean, I know. It wasn't your fault. You should forgive yourself.” She said and Dean kept his back to her, refusing to let her see what her words did to him.

“Anna, I don't w-want to, uh... I don't want to... I can't talk about that.”

“I know. But when you can, you have people that want to help. You are not alone. That's all I'm trying to say.” She kissed him and Dean froze for a second before backing away from her.

“What was that for?” He demanded.

“You know... Our last night on earth... All that.”

“Usually I’d say you're stealing my best line but...Anna you’re a nice girl but....” He stammered and Anna stared at him before blushing and looking away.

“I’m sorry; I thought.....I think I’ll go inside now.” She said and ran off. Dean sighed and slammed his hand down on the boot. Yes, he could recognise she was very attractive and the odds were they were all going to die, but he didn’t want her. The only one he wanted he could no longer have.

```````````````````````````````````````````````
“Look at that. It's so cute when monkeys wear clothes.” Uriel taunted and Dean looked around.

“I'm dreaming, aren't I?” Dean asked and Uriel smirked.

“It's the only way we could chat... Since you're hiding like cowards.” The angel admitted.

“Don't normally see you off leash. Where's your boss?”

“Castiel? Oh, he, uh... He's not here. See, he has this weakness. He likes you. Time's up, boy. We want the girl.”

“Wouldn't try that if I were you. See, she got her grace back. Full-blown angel now.”

“That would be a neat trick, considering......I have her grace right here. We can't let hell get their hooks into her.” Uriel said as he pulled out a necklace.

“Well, then why don't you just give her back her angel juice?”

“She committed a serious crime.”

“What? Thinking for herself?”

“This is our business, not yours. She's not even human... Not technically.” Uriel told him and Dean shrugged, leaning against the wall.

“Yeah, well, I guess I just like being a pain in the pooper.”

No. There's more. You cut yourself a slice of... angel food cake. Didn't you? Huh? You did.” Uriel taunted and Dean decided to go with it. He didn’t know why Uriel had assumed he’d had sex with Anna but hey, it would keep the dick from suspecting Samuel was actually Sam.

“What do you care? You're junk less down there, right? Like a ken doll?” He sneered.

“Ooh. Well, it's your last chance. Give us the girl, or –“

“Or what? What, you're gonna toss me back in the hole? You're bluffing.”

“Try me. This is a whole lot bigger than the plans we got for you, Dean. You can be replaced.” Uriel informed him.

“What the hell? Go ahead and do it.” Dean snarled.

“You're just crazy enough to go, aren't you?” Uriel asked, surprised.

“What can I say? I don't break easy.”

“Oh, yes...you do. You just got to know where to apply the right pressure.”

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Little early for that, isn't it?” Anna asked as she saw Dean drinking from a bottle.

“It's 2:00 a.m. somewhere.” He muttered.

“You okay?” She asked and he nodded.

“Yeah, of course.” He said and then the doors were blasted open and the three angels entered.

“Hello, Anna. It's good to see you.” Castiel stated flatly.

“How? How did you find us?” Bobby demanded and then he turned to Dean who was still drinking.
“Dean?”

“I'm sorry.” Dean whispered.

“Why?” Bobby demanded.

“Because they gave him a choice. They either kill me... or kill you. I know how their minds work.” Anna told the older hunter. She smiled and hugged Dean.
“You did the best you could. I forgive you.” She told him and Dean managed a shaky smile for her before she turned to face the angels. She stepped away from the hunters and closer to her old companions.
“Okay. No more tricks. No more running. I'm ready.” She told them.

“I'm sorry.” Castile told her and Anna smiled slightly, shaking her head.

“No. you're not. Not really. You don't know the feeling.” She told him and Castiel nodded.

“Still, we have a history. It's just –“ Castiel trailed off and Anna smiled.

“Orders are orders. I know. Just make it quick.” She asked and Castiel nodded, he could do that for her. No one but Dean saw Sam close his eyes, not wanting to witness her death.
“Don't you touch a hair on that poor girl's head.” A familiar voice called and Dean moved to the side of the room, not wanting to be in between the two groups. He felt a flash of fear at the demon’s presence and Sam looked at him, moving slightly so that he was angled more in front of Dean, protecting him.

“How dare you come in this room... You pussing sore?” Uriel snarled and Alastair laughed.

“Name-calling. That hurt my feelings... You sanctimonious, fanatical prick.”

“Turn around and walk away now.” Castiel ordered.

“Sure. Just give us the girl. We'll make sure she gets punished good and proper.”

“You know who we are and what we will do. I won't say it again. Leave now... Or we lay you to waste.” Castiel warned.

“Think I'll take my chances.” Alastair said and the fight started. Bobby began reciting an exorcism as loudly as he could, gun raised. Dean watched anxiously as Sam stayed between him and any demons, exorcising them by simply laying his hand on their heads. Dean spotted Castiel trying to do that to Alastair who laughed.

“Sorry, kiddo. Why don't you go run to daddy?” He taunted and then grabbed Castiel.
“Potestas inferna, me confirma. Potestas inferna, me confirma. Potestas inferma, me confirma!” The demon chanted and Sam slammed into him, knocking him away from Castiel. Alastair looked at him and smirked.
“So this is Heaven’s littlest angel. Pity all I can do is send you back.” Alastair taunted as they struggled.
“Potestas inferna, me confirma. Potestas inferna, me confirma.” He stopped as Dean slammed a crowbar into his head, dropping Sam.
“Dean, Dean, Dean... I am so disappointed. You had such promise.” Alastair said as he turned to the hunter. Alastair punched Dean and then hit him with the same crowbar Dean had hit the demon with. He went to do it again when both Sam and Castiel intervened. Seeing her chance Anna grabbed her grace as Uriel was fighting another demon. She broke the necklace, releasing her Grace.

“No!” Uriel shouted and Anna looked at Dean and Bobby.

“Shut your eyes. Shut your eyes! Shut your eyes!” She screamed at them. A bright light suddenly came from her body, making Alastair vanish. When it was gone so was Anna.

“Well, what are you guys waiting for? Go get Anna.. Unless, of course, you're scared.” Dean taunted and Uriel glared at him.

“This isn't over.”

“Oh, it looks over to me, junkless.” Dean answered and all three angels vanished.

``````````````````````````````````````````
“Nice work.” The calm voice said and Dean grinned.

“Thanks.” He answered, rolling over to see Sam standing against the wall, a certain sigil drawn beside him.

“Incredibly risky though.” Sam chided and Dean closed his eyes.

“Couldn’t let her just die and I couldn’t fight Heaven and Hell so I figured I might as well let them fight it out. Are....are you okay?” Dean asked and Sam nodded.

“It was...uncomfortable. Thank you for stopping it.” Sam said and Dean shrugged.

“I know what Alastair can do Sam, couldn’t let him hurt you.” Dean whispered and then he felt the mattress dip as Sam sat beside him. He felt Sam’s hand on his head and sighed, enjoying the touch.

“Could....could you tell me? I know you were tortured and that it was closer to forty years than the four months that passed on earth. But why is Alastair so obsessed with you?” Samuel asked and Dean bit his lip before moving, wrapping his arms around Sam’s waist. Sam sat stiffly but then began carding his fingers through Dean’s hair.

“Was it longer for you too? In Heaven?” Dean asked softly.

“Yes. In Heaven, time has no meaning. It was only when they came to me that I was told I had been there for nearly a century. One month on earth is ten in hell and a century in Heaven.” Samuel explained.

“So it’s been nearly four hundred years......did....did you ever forget about me?” Dean choked and Sam’s other hand moved to rest on his shoulder.

“Never, I always knew I was doing this for you.”

“They, uh... They sliced and carved and tore at me in ways that you... until there was nothing left. And then, suddenly... I would be whole again... Like magic... Just so they could start in all over. And Alastair... At the end of every day... every one... He would come over. And he would make me an offer. To take me off the rack... If I put souls on...if I started the torturing. And every day, I told him to stick it where the sun shines. For 30 years, I told him. But then I couldn't do it anymore, Sammy. I couldn't. And I got off that rack. God help me, I got right off it, and I started ripping them apart. I lost count of how many souls. The -- the things that I did to them.” Dean whispered and Samuel closed his eyes before bending down to kiss Dean again. He knew that after that Dean would be plagued by nightmares and he didn’t want that, not when he’d been the one to ask.

“Dean, look, you held out for 30 years. That is longer than anyone would have.” He tried to comfort him and Dean choked.

“How I feel... This... inside me... I wish I couldn't feel anything, Sammy I wish I couldn't feel a damn thing.”

“No you don’t. If you didn’t feel anything then you wouldn’t be human anymore, you would be one of them. And I know you never want to be a demon.”

“Anna told me....she said being an angel is being cold, like a marble statue, and having no choice. But you’re not.”

“I should be and she was right, I don’t have a choice when told to do something. But no one has told me I cannot come and see you when it is safe. I do not think we are meant to be totally unfeeling. We love God unconditionally and care for our siblings. Maybe that is why I still feel strongly for you, you are my brother as well.” Sam said and Dean looked up at him.

“I miss you Sammy.” Dean whispered and Sam nodded.

“I know. Did you know, people can pray to a specific angel....and that angel alone will hear them?” Samuel said and Dean just stared at him before smiling.
“They may not answer but the prayers are heard.” Samuel smiled at him and then he was gone again.

‘Goodnight Sam.’ Dean prayed and then smiled as he felt a flush of warmth run over him, he knew it was Sam answering him.

TBC...