Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
I’m pretty much following the episodes for now with the addition of another angel obviously. Things will change more later on.

Dean blinked his eyes against the sudden light only to find someone leaning over him.

“Move it buddy, you can’t sleep here.” The man said and Dean blinked, sitting up to look around in confusion.

“Okay....sleep....where?” He asked on confusion.

“Anywhere but here.” The man told him and Dean realised he was cop as the man walked off. Dean looked around what appeared to be a small town, still utterly confused. He remembered being in a motel and then.....Castiel. What had the angel done? He pulled out his cell phone, planning to call Bobby only to find he had no reception.

“Perfect.” He grumbled as he stood up, spotting a nearby diner he decided he really needed some coffee. He sat down next to a guy in maybe his early twenties.
“Hey, where the hell am I?” Dean asked and the man looked at him.

“Jay Bird's Diner.” He answered.

“Yeah, thanks. I mean...city and state.” Dean clarified, getting a surprised look.

“Lawrence, Kansas.”

“Lawrence...” Why did it have to be Lawrence?

“Hey, you okay buddy?” The man asked, looking concerned for Dean.

“Yeah, tough night.” Dean tried to excuse his confusion.

“Hey, coffee here Reg.” His new friend called out.

“Okay, coming right up.” The man behind the counter, obviously the called for Reg, answered. Dean pulled his phone from his pocket and showed it the man beside him.

“Can you tell me where I can get reception on this thing?” he asked, getting an incredulous look.

“The USS Enterprise?” The guy said and Dean blinked before looking at Reg as he brought the coffee, confused as to why the guy was dressed like a 70’s hippie.

“Thanks...nice threads. You know Sonny and Cher broke up right?” Dean asked and both men stared at him in shock.

“Sonny and Cher broke up?” That made Dean really look around and he found everyone was dressed like it was the seventies.

“Hey, Winchester.” A new arrival called and Dean turned to look.
“Son of a bitch. How you doing Corporal?” All Dean could do was stare in shock as the two talked.

“Hey Mr. D.”

“I heard you were back.” Mr. D said.

“Yeah, a little while now.”

“Good to have you home John, damn good.” By this point Dean’s eyes were very wide as he put everything together.

“Dad...” He breathed in shock.

“Well, say hello to your old man for me.”

“You got it, Mr. D.” John answered before noticing Dean staring at him.
“Do we know each other?”

“I guess not.” Dean answered.

“Take it easy, pal.” John said as he got up to leave.

“Yeah.”

``````````````````````````````````````````
Sam stared at his superior and teacher. He already knew everything Dean had been sent back to learn, he’d been shown once he’d been changed. At least now he knew how Mary had known Azazel and he was glad he’d already been an angel when he’d found out. He didn’t think he would have handled it very well had he still been human.

“I will go speak to Dean soon.” Castiel stated and Sam nodded.

“He will probably yell at you. It is his way of dealing with things he does not understand, not personally aimed at you.” Sam warned him and Castiel nodded before vanishing. Sam sat down on the bed farthest from the door, smiling faintly at the fact Dean still got a room with two beds. He lay back on it, despite the fact he no longer needed sleep it was nice to just lay still and relax. He wondered if when Dean returned he’d realise Sam had been there, in the bed meant for him? Not that they’d slept in separate beds all that often since shortly after Dean had taken him from Stanford.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Sammy, wherever you are, Mom is a babe. I'm going to hell...again.” Dean muttered as he stared into the diner at his parents, just watching them talk together over ice cream shakes.

“I should just talk to him.” John said but Mary shook her head.

“My Dad's being my Dad John, it's not you.”

“How is it not me? He's been like this for how many years?” John asked and Mary sighed.

“He's just protective over me, that's all. He doesn't want me to-“

“Hook up with a mechanic from a family of mechanics?” John asked sadly.

“No! Hey, I love you, for exactly what you are. I'll be right back.” Mary promised as she got up. Once she was gone John pulled out a small red box to stare at the ring inside.

Dean was so busy watching his Dad mope that his Mom was able to sneak up behind him.

“Why are you following us?” Mary demanded and Dean whipped around only to catch her knee in his stomach. She threw him against a metal container next to the building, going to punch him but Dean dodged, stepping sideways.

“Are you crazy?” He demanded as Mary continued to attack him. He managed to grab her arms when she tried to shove him again.

“You've been trailing us since my house.” She accused.

“I don't know what you're talking about-“ He answered, trying to gain the upper hand.

“Really?”

“Okay, how about we talk about this huh?” He asked as he finally got her pinned against the wall.

“Let me go!” Mary demanded angrily and that was when something caught Dean’s eyes. He pulled her arm up as gently as he could to stare at the bracelet with protective charms on it.

“Are you a hunter?” he asked in shock.

````````````````````````````````````````````````
“What do you say we just slow down and talk this thing through.” Samuel said as he watched the young hunter studying the map.

“There's nothing to talk about.” Dean snapped.

“Except you're saying it's a demon, and none of us has ever heard of a demon with yellow eyes.” Samuel argued and Dean snorted.

“Yeah, well, I have, this thing killed my family.” He answered, trying to hide how much that still hurt.

“Just calm down son.” Samuel told him and despite the fact the man was his grandfather Dean felt tempted to hit him.

“You don't get it do you? You are in danger, we are all in danger. In fact, you need to get yourself someplace safe.” Dean argued.

“Not until we know what we're dealing with here.” Samuel said even as Deanna walked into the room, carrying a fruit salad.

“Sam's right Dean, it could be a demon, it could be a shapeshifter, it could be any number of things.” She told her frustrated grandson, not that she knew who Dean was.

“I know what this thing is!” Dean almost yelled and Deanna stopped before going back into the kitchen.
“And I'm gonna kill it, that's all the talking I need to do.”

“You're gonna kill a demon? How?” Samuel asked in disbelief, every hunter knew you couldn’t kill a demon, just send it back to hell.

“There's a hunter named Daniel Elkins, he lives in Colorado, he has Colt's gun. The Colt.” Dean answered.

“Yeah, I heard about the colt, used to tell it to Mary as a bedtime story.” Samuel was starting to thin the kid was a little off.

“Well, it's real.” Dean stated and his grandparents exchanged looks behind his back, not sure what to think.

“Alright, say that it is. You got some kind of crystal ball telling you where this demon's gonna be?” Samuel asked, deciding to humour him for the moment.

“Yeah, maybe I do.” Dean said, smiling slightly as he pulled out his Dad’s journal and flipped it open.

“What's this?” Samuel asked as he looked at it.

“It's a list.”

“Of what?”

“My Dad wrote down anyone he thought ever came in contact with the Yellow Eyed Demon, who, where and when.” Dean explained as he went over the list.

“Why?”

“Cause the more he could learn about the son of a bitch, the more he could figure out why it killed my Mom.” Dean said as he flipped the pages.
“Look, Whitshire farm. I told you that name sounded familiar.”

“Whitshire farms, that was two days ago, how the hell is that on your Dad's list?” Samuel demanded and Dean blinked, oops.

“Uh...my Dad could see the future. Looks at this, it says he's gonna hit here tomorrow night.” Dean pointed out the next name on the list.

“Liddy Walsh?”

“Haleyville, that's close.” Dean muttered.

“I mean, yeah, it's about three miles, but...” Samuel looked over at his wife who was leaning on the doorjamb and she shook her head slightly. Samuel looked back at Dean who noticed the tension and realised they didn’t believe him.

“I know you guys think I'm crazy.”

“You seem like a really nice kid Dean, but yeah, you're crazy.” Samuel answered and Dean laughed bitterly. He had a chance to save his family and his grandparents thought he was nuts. But if he could stop this....he could have a Mom, Sam wouldn’t have had to join the angel brigade to yank him from hell....they could be a normal family even if it meant he and Sam never got together at least they’d be alive.

“Yeah, maybe, but I know where this bastard's gonna be, and I'm gonna stop it, once and for all.” He told them as he grabbed his gear and left the room. He took a deep breath and went looking for his Mom; he had to warn her just in case even if he did sound nuts. He found her listening to music and smiled at the scene.
“I'm shoving off, I just wanted to say, bye.” Dean told her when she noticed he was there and she turned the music down.

“Really? So soon?”

“Yeah - job to do. Hey, I wanted to- t-tell you, you know for what it's worth. Um...it doesn't matter what your Dad thinks, I like that John kid.” He mumbled uncomfortably and Mary smiled.

“You do?” She asked and Dean nodded.

“Yeah, yeah, I think you two are meant to be.” He assured her.
“Hell, I'm depending on it.” He murmured and she frowned, not quit catching it.

“What?” She asked and he shook his head.

“Nothing. Can I ask you a question?” He asked and Mary nodded.
“What's he like? John.”

“Why do you ask?”

“Just curious.” Dean defended and Mary shrugged, stretching out her legs to get more comfortable.

“I don't know, he's sweet, kind. Even after the war, after everything, he still believes in happily ever after you know? He's everything a hunter isn't. No offense.”

“No, none taken.” He told her, wondering what she would have thought of the man John became after her death.

“Can I tell you something?” Mary asked and Dean nodded.
“He's gonna ask me to marry him. Tomorrow I think!” She grinned and Dean smiled.

“Yeah?”

“Oh, Dad's gonna explode, but I don't care. I'll run away if I have to, I just, I love John, and...” She trailed off.

“And what?”

“I wanna get out.” Mary admitted softly and Dean froze.
“This job, this life, I hate it. I want a family, I wanna be safe. You know the worst thing I can think of? The very worst thing? Is for my children to be raised into this like I was. No, I won't let it happen.” She told him and Dean found himself blinking back tears, wishing they could have had the life she’d wanted for them.

“Yeah...” he whispered.

“Hey, are you okay?” She asked, realising something was wrong and he mustered a smile for her.

“Yeah, no I'm- I'm fine. Hey, uh, Mary, can I tell you something?”

“Sure.”

“Even if this sounds really weird. Will you promise me that you will remember?” he practically begged and she frowned but nodded.

“Okay.”

“On November second 1983, don't get out of bed. No matter what you hear, or what you see.” He told her firmly.
“Promise me you won't get out of bed.” He pleaded and he knew what he was asking made no sense but he needed her to promise.

“Okay.” She promised, sensing how important it was to the other hunter and he smiled sadly before leaving.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Dean say where he was going?” Mary asked as they sat cleaning weapons.

“Said he was gonna kill a demon.” Samuel told her and Mary chuckled.

“Kill a demon? That's impossible.” She said and her Dad smiled at her.

“Yup.”

“Where?” She asked and Samuel thought about it.

“Uh...oh, I don' know, over in Haleyville, uh Walsh's maybe.” He told her and Mary stopped what she was doing.

“Wait, not Liddy Walsh?” She demanded and Samuel frowned.

“Well, yeah, I- I- I think so.”

“Dad, she's a friend of mine! We gotta help her.” Mary demanded even as her Mom walked in, watching her daughter gather up her things.

“What's wrong?” Deanna asked but Mary didn’t answer, looking at her Dad before she left.

“I'll be in the car.” Mary stated.

“Hey-“ Deanna called after her but Mary was gone.

“I mean, she wants to hunt, she doesn't want to hunt, is this some female time of month thing?” Samuel asked and his wife just looked at him before sighing and leaving the room.
“What?”

```````````````````````````````````````````````````
Sam sat up with a frown and then he realised what was wrong. Dean was facing Azazel and there was nothing he could do but pray Castiel would keep him safe. Part of him wanted to join them but he had been ordered to remain behind, no matter what. If he showed up and Azazel realised who he had been....it could ruin everything. He forced himself to relax and believe that everything would go according to plan.

``````````````````````````````````````````
“How did I know about the Colt? Huh? How did I know about the Yellow Eyed Demon? Or where it would be? I'm not making this up Samuel.” Dean argued, trying to convince his grandfather that he was telling the truth. Saving his family now depended on them believing him.

“Every bone in my body is aching to put you six feet under, but there's something about you, I can't shake it. Now, I may be crazier than you, son, but I believe you.” Samuel finally answered and Dean felt a swell of relief at that. Now he had help.

“Thank you.” He said, smiling at the grandfather he’d never known.

“I mean, how do we find this bastard?” Samuel asked and Dean pointed at the journal.

“Right here, the list.” Dean opened it and Samuel watched him.

“And with the colt?” Samuel asked and Dean pulled the Colt out of his jacket, putting it on the table.

“Yeah.”

“Here, let me see it.” Samuel said and Dean hesitated before moving it further away.

“Sorry, I don't let anybody hold it.”

“I'm your grandfather.”

“Nothing personal.” Dean answered.

“Sure it is, especially when it's me you're trying to kill.” Samuel grinned as his eyes went yellow. He raised a hand and motioned at Dean, slamming him into the wall.
“Future boy huh?” Azazel walked over to Dean, smirking down at him.
“I only know one thing that's got the juice to swing something like that. You must have friends in high places. So, I kill your Mommy? That's why you came all the way here? To see little old me?”

“Oh, I came here to kill you.” Dean snarled, hiding his fear for his family behind his rage. First his Dad and now his Grandfather had been used by the demon.

“Hey, wait a minute, if that slut Mary's your Mommy, are you...are you one of my psychic kids?” Azazel leant in and actually sniffed Dean.
“No, not you. Maybe you got a sis, or a bro-“ That made Dean’s head snap around and he glared at the demon.
“That's terrific, means it all worked out. After all, it's why I'm here.”

“So that's what this is about, these deals you're making, you don't want these people's souls.” Dean realised.

“No, I just want their children. I'm here to choose the perfect parents, like your Mommy.”

“Why her? Why any of them?” Dean demanded.

“Because they're strong.” Azazel told him not noticing Deanna peeking around the kitchen doorway, trying to think of what to do.
“They're pure, and they eat their Wheaties. My own little Master Race, they're ideal breeders.” Dean stared at him, half confused and more than a little frightened.
“Oh, get your mind out of the gutter no one’s breeding with me. Though, Mary? Man, I'd like to make an exception, so far, she's my favorite.” Azazel told him and Dean was relieved to find out the demon would not touch his Mom that way. He forced himself not to react as Deanna moved silently closer.

“So why make the deals?” he asked, keeping the attention on himself.

“I need permission.” Was the answer even as Deanna made her way towards the Colt.
“I need to be invited, into their houses, I know, I know, the- the red tape'll drive you nuts, but in ten short years, it'll all be worth it. Cause you know what I'm gonna do to your sibling? I'm gonna stand over their crib and I'm gonna bleed into their mouth. Demon blood is better than Ovaltine, vitamins, minerals, it makes you big and strong.”

“For what? So they can lead your discount demon army? Is that your big plan?” Dean snarled, hating feeling so helpless. But what the demon had said.....Sammy had demon blood in him? He closed his eyes for a second as that thought hit him but then he shook his head. It didn’t matter, Sam was his brother no matter if he had demon blood or was an angel.

“Please, my end game's a hell of a lot bigger than that kid.” Azazel answered proudly.

“End game? What end game?”

“Like I'm gonna tell you, or those angels sitting on your shoulder. No, I'm gonna cover my tracks good.” Azazel shook his head.

“You can cover whatever the hell you want, but I'm still gonna kill you.” Dean snarled in rage.

“Right, now that, I'd like to see.” The demon taunted and Dean smirked.

“Maybe not today, but you look into my eyes you son of a bitch, cause I'm the one that kills you.” He stated proudly.

“So, you're gonna save everybody, is that right? Is that it? Well, I'll tell you one person that you're not gonna save.” Azazel took out a knife, smirking as Dean struggled against his hold.
“Your Grandpappy.” He plunged the knife into Samuel.

“No!” Dean yelled but a scream drowned him out.

“No!” Deanna screamed and Azazel turned to her. Deanna turned and fled but the demon followed her even as Dean continued to fight to free himself. He finally got up and rushed into the kitchen, dropping to his knees beside his grandmother, finding her neck had been snapped. There was no sign of Samuel’s body.

“Mary...Mary!” Dean screamed but Mary was obviously not home...or already dead.

``````````````````````````````````````
Dean jumped out of the car to see his Mom kissing the demon that would kill her in ten years.

“No!” He screamed in horror. He drew the Colt and rushed forward but the demon left Samuel in a rush of black smoke, leaving the body to fall to the ground, dead. All he could do was watch as his Dad took a deep breath and looked up at his Mom.

“Mary.” John breathed.

“John.” Mary sobbed, holding him close. Dean just watched them even as Castiel appeared and placed a hand on his shoulder. When Mary looked over they were gone.

Dean gasped and woke up, lying on his bead. He looked over to find Castiel standing near the foot of his bed. He put his legs over the side of the bed, and sat on the edge of it, looking sad and disappointed.

“I couldn't stop any of it, she still made the deal, she still died in the nursery didn't she?” he asked sadly and Castiel nodded.

“Don't be too hard on yourself, you couldn't have stopped it.” The angel told him and Dean stared at him.

“What?” he demanded.

“Destiny can't be changed Dean, all roads lead to the same destination.”

“Then why'd you send me back?” Dean demanded, why put him through that if he couldn’t change it?

“For the truth, now you know everything we do.” A quiet voice answered and Dean looked over to see Sam’s new vessel standing at the window. He felt a pang of grief as he stared at the strangers’ body that held his brother in it.

“What the hell are you talking about?” he asked.

“We know what Azazel did to your brother and the others like him, what we don't know is why, what his endgame is. He went to great lengths to cover that up.” Castiel explained.

“What does it matter? All his special kids are dead.” Dean said bitterly and Castiel shook his head.

“There is the new generation you tried to stop the creation of with your father.” Samuel pointed out and Dean paled.

“But they’re just babies.”

“For now.” Castiel stated and then he was gone. Dean looked over at his brother, getting a small, sad seeming smile before he was alone in the motel room.

`````````````````````````````````````
“You cannot go to him.” A stern voice warned and Sam nodded.

“I know Castiel. It’s hard to see him so lost.”

“If he had faith”

“What reason does he have to have faith in our Father? All he’s ever seen is the worst of everything. He doesn’t believe he is worthy of being saved, everything he ever did was for me or John. He doesn’t know how to live without us there to live for.” Sam explained softly and Castiel nodded.

“You would go back to him if you could.” He stated and Sam nodded, surprising them both. He was an angel now, he shouldn’t want to go back to being human, should he?

TBC...