Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Sam grinned at Dean as they packed up their gear, another successful hunt done. With the abilities of a vampire Dean had taken to hunting like a duck to water, it was using his natural instincts in only a slightly different manner after all. They both sent postcards, birthday and Christmas cards to Mary regularly and Dean called her as often as he could but the best time was when they made their yearly visit to Lawrence to see her. Sam knew that soon that visit would start bringing grief to Dean; his vampiric senses wouldn’t be able to miss the subtle signs of aging that a mortal would miss. Eventually Mary would die, either of old age or illness and Dean would have to accept that. Sam knew that was not going to be easy for him. He still wasn’t over his Dad’s or Bobby’s deaths and he wasn’t even biologically related to them. While Dean had been a bit sad to find out his Dad was dead, it hadn’t been too bad since he’d never met him and only knew what his Mom and then Sam had told him. Mortals dying around him was something Dean would have to adapt to though, being immortal now himself. Sam didn’t know how mortal he was thanks to his parentage but he knew he was a lot harder to kill than any human and even many of the things he hunted plus he’d never even had a cold. So he could only hope he was immortal enough to stick around for Dean’s sake.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Merry Christmas Mom.” Dean said and his Mom jumped but then spun around and hugged him. Sam laughed form where he was standing behind Dean but then moved forward to accept his own hug.

“You two live to surprise me, don’t you?” Mary asked as she moved to the fridge to get out Sam’s favourite juice for him. She always kept a bottle in the fridge since she never knew when the boys would drop by.
“I got your Christmas cards, thank you boys.”

“Weren’t sure we’d make it so we sent them.” Dean told her, watching her move about the kitchen.

“I’m glad you did make it. Why don’t you take your things upstairs, get settled in. Anything you want especially for dinner Sam?”

“Whatever you have is fine Mom.” Sam answered as he followed Dean upstairs to his old room. Since Dean didn’t need to sleep and it was a double bed they used his room whenever they stayed. Mary hadn’t said anything and Dean was still more comfortable resting with Sam holding him, even if Dean didn’t sleep himself.

They put their things away and then dug out the small gifts they’d gotten for Mary before heading back downstairs for dinner. The food may not smell good to Dean but he still liked watching them eat all the while wishing he could too. Sure he could eat human food but he’d just have to bring it up later and it tasted like dirt. If it still tasted like food should then he wouldn’t mind having to bring it up just so he could taste it again.

“So you’ve been keeping pretty busy from all the postcards I’ve been getting.” Mary said and Dean nodded.

“Sam’s great at research and finding hunts. He puts things together that just seem totally random to me.” Dean’s praise made Sam blush and Mary smiled at him.

“That’s amazing Sam. You boys are doing things other than hunting though, aren’t you?” She asked and both boys nodded.

“Sam’s going over all the schooling stuff with me, seeing what I remember and reteaching what I forgot.” Dean told her nervously and she smiled, taking his hand in hers.

“That’s wonderful Dean. Do you remember a lot?” Mary asked and Dean looked down.

“Since school is pretty impersonal.....it’s pretty easily forgotten. But he’s picking it back up incredibly fast.” Sam praised, knowing Dean needed it. Dean hated finding gaps in his memory, always taking it to mean he’d failed while Sam knew how amazing it was that Dean had kept as much as he had.

“Sam’s been going over college work.” Dean said and Sam shrugged.

“Maybe one day college can be done without actually attending and I can get a degree. Don’t think I could stay in one place long enough to actually attend.” Sam admitted and Mary nodded.

“Could you two settle down somewhere if you wanted to? Would people notice...” She trailed off and Sam grinned.

“There are plenty of towns in mountains and areas like that so they don’t get a lot of sunlight during the year so Dean could go out regularly. To stay any length of time we’d have to start out as young as possible and without ‘adults’ around that would raise questions. Maybe in the future it won’t be as odd and we can give it a go.” Sam told her and she nodded, happy that they wouldn’t always have to live on the road, even if they had to move every several years. She knew her boys would outlive her, Dean at least by centuries, and it made her happy to know they had options beyond hunting all the time.

Secretly Mary had been happy to learn Sam wasn’t biologically related to Dean. After what Sam had done for her son and the way she’d seen Dean react to him....she knew what her boys both seemed blind to, they were in love with each other. Dean had been since she’d first seen them together, Sam she wasn’t so sure about when he’d fallen. Their first meeting he’d been part parent/part best friend to her son. But it had changed since then, she could see it in even the smallest body movement when they were together. She knew vampires had a single mate and Sam would never hurt Dean, she knew that. But if Sam wasn’t immortal, would his demonic heritage allow him to be changed to keep them together? Or was it possible her baby boy would one day lose his mate?

```````````````````````````````````````````````
“Did you see that?” Dean exclaimed, fighting not to laugh and Sam grinned at him. So using his powers to amuse Dean probably wasn’t the most ethical of uses but ever since Mary had been admitted to hospital Dean had been pretty depressed. It had been almost impossible to even get him to hunt! Sam was praying hard that Mary would be okay and they were staying in Kansas until she was either released or the worst happened. But even in the last ten years leaps had been made medically so Mary’s chances were a lot better than they would have been even when Sam had first met her. Cancer wasn’t the automatic death sentence it once was but the treatments were harsh and people did still die. So Sam was doing everything he could to keep Dean’s mind off his mother’s condition.
“Sam?”

“Yeah Dean?” Sam turned to him and instantly sobered when he saw the serious expression on Dean’s face.

“Is Mom going to die?” Dean whispered and Sam moved without thinking, pulling Dean into a hug.

“I don’t know Dean. I wish healing others was one of my powers but it’s not. All we can do is wait and hope they caught it in time.” Sam told him gently and Dean nodded. Sam could see the venom clouding Dean’s eyes, taking the place of tears Dean was no longer able to cry.
“She’s strong Dean, I know she won’t stop fighting.” Dean nodded but didn’t move away from Sam’s embrace and Sam was quite content to hold him. Other than their yearly visits to Mary they were the only constants in each other’s lives and it meant that casual touches and embraces were common. Sam was the only one so far that Dean could regularly touch without risk after all but even if he wasn’t Dean was happy with things being just the two of them.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Don’t even think of moving, I’ll get it.” Dean ordered and then he was gone so fast Mary couldn’t see him move though she could tell Sam was watching him. Feeling her eyes on him Sam turned to her and they shared amused smiles. Dean was back and placing a tray of food in her lap in no time at all. She smiled at her son and began to eat. Dean had been hovering over her ever since she’d been released from hospital and she accepted it since she was getting to see a lot more of the boys than she ever did in a single year and she was still tired from all the treatments. The idea of a vampire cooking would have seemed ridiculous when she was younger, now it was normal. Sam had informed her that Dean was a better cook than he was and actually enjoyed cooking for Sam, despite the fact he hated the smell. She was very happy Dean had kept those skills since she’d been the one to teach him how to cook all through his childhood.

She knew she’d given both boys a good scare although Sam seemed to be handling things better than Dean. She’d taken up old research again, learning as much as she could about demons and vampires as well as psychics in the effort to understand her children, because she considered Sam hers now as well. So she knew that vampires, being frozen in time as they were, did not react well to change. And the death or serious illness of a loved one was a very big change. So if her sitting around while Dean did everything for her helped him cope then she’d let him.

Mary smiled as Sam sat beside her, both of them watching in amusement as Dean went about cleaning the house up.

“He was really worried about you, we both were.” Sam admitted softly, not that it would keep Dean from hearing him.

“I know. Sam I want you to promise me something.” She stated firmly and he turned to stare at her. Sitting so close and staring directly into his eyes she noticed something she had never seen before, either because she hadn’t been looking for it or because it was new, but there was a feint ring of colour around Sam’s pupil’s. And it was not a normal, human colour. Was this then a sign of his supernatural parentage? She didn’t know but it gave her more hope that Sam would always be there for Dean.

“What is it?” Sam finally asked and she blinked, pushing those thoughts aside. She knew her son, pre and post transformation and she had to admit human Dean would have dealt with certain things better than he did as a vampire. That’s why she had to make Sam agree because only Sam could stop Dean if it came to it.

“We both know that no matter what happens you boys will outlive me. No matter my manner of death do not let Dean try to change me. Swear to me.” She told him and Sam stared at her in shock before nodding, obviously he hadn’t really considered the fact that in order not to lose her Dean may bite her. But she didn’t want that, it was natural that her boys outlive her and there were a lot of people waiting for her on the other side that she wanted to see again. She could see that apart of Sam wanted to say no, he’d never known his own mother and so she was the closest he’d ever had, and it was natural to want her to always be there for them. But she knew Sam was a hunter and would never subject a fellow hunter, even a long retired one, to the life of a supernatural creature unless the person was willing.

“I swear.” He finally whispered and she smiled, reaching out to pull him into a gentle hug. The house was silent around them, Dean obviously having heard them and then stopped what he was doing.

Upstairs in his childhood bedroom Dean was sitting on his bed, clutching a photo taken when he was ten, his mother holding him close and laughing at something out of the photographers view. Despite everything he hadn’t really accepted the fact that one day his Mom would be gone and it would be just him and Sam. He didn’t know if he would try and turn her to save her but now he knew it would never happen, Sam would never break his word to her.

TBC...