Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
BTW –at the beginning of the chapter it’s been 13yrs since Dean was changed so it’s 1983 and I am assuming Mary was 20 when she had Dean so she is now 54. According to a site I found Bella Swan was born September 13, 1987 so this is still pre books.
Will be covering some canon hunts too, just assume all technology, etc is about 20years older than the stuff in the show.

“Hey Mom.” Dean greeted her and she smiled at him, accepting the mug of coffee. She reached out and took his hand and Dean smiled at her, perching on the edge of her seat.
“How do you feel?” He asked and she sighed.

“Dean, it’s been three years. I’m still in remission sweety, I’m okay.” She assured him and Dean looked down. She tugged at his hand and Dean moved around to kneel in front of her chair.
“We need to talk Dean.” She whispered, gently stoking his cheek.

“Mom.” Dean choked and she knew he’d be crying if it was physically possible for him. She was glad Sam had gone to the store for her; she needed to talk to Dean alone.

“Dean....” She trailed off; unsure exactly what to say and Dean looked down.

“Is this about that promise you made Sam make?” he whispered and she nodded.
“But you said you’re okay!” He trembled and she put her mug down, wrapping her arms around him.

“I am, but we both know that even if the cancer never comes back I’m not getting any younger Dean. You have to accept the fact that one day I will die and there is nothing you can do about that. I love you baby so much and if I could stay with you forever I would but I can’t.”

“You could.” Dean whispered and she kissed his forehead, ignoring the cold hardness of her sons’ skin.

“No Dean, I could not live the life you do. I miss my parents and your father and I know I will be with them again. I know it’ll be hard and that you will miss me but not forever, human memories will fade with time.” Mary told him gently and Dean shook his head.
“Ex-hunter remember Dean? I know that given enough time I’ll be a vague memory and you will move on. Sam will help you.” She whispered, holding him close.

“I don’t want to forget you.”

“It’s natural Dean.” She told him and Dean eventually nodded.

“I love you Mom.” Dean whispered and Mary nodded.

“I know, I love you too.” She told him.

````````````````````````````````````````
“How’d it go?” Dean asked and Sam grinned, holding up a handful of bills. So it was cheating for Sam to use his powers while playing Pool, they needed the money and neither was going to accept Mary’s. They knew her cancer treatment had eaten up a large chunk of her savings so despite her many offers they stuck to things like hustling and Sam working a few days when they were in a town long enough.

“Think I found us a hunt to, heard some people talking about it. Sam showed him the paper. “Oasis Plains, Oklahoma – not far from here. A gas company employee, Dustin Burwash, supposedly died from Creutzfeldt-Jakob.” He explained as Dean read the article.
“Huh?”

“Human mad cow disease.” Sam explained and Dean wrinkled his nose.

“Mad cow? So this guy eats a bad burger. Why is it our kind of thing?” Dean asked.

“Mad cow disease causes massive brain degeneration. It takes months, even years, for the damage to appear. But this guy, Dustin? Sounds like his brain disintegrated in about an hour. Maybe less.” Sam explained.

“Okay, that’s weird.” The vampire admitted.

“Yeah. Now, it could be a disease. Or it could be somethin’ much nastier.”

“All right. Oasis Plains it is.” They got in the car, Dean in the driver’s seat. Since he’d remembered how to drive he did most of the driving since he enjoyed it and need less sleep than Sam.

`````````````````````````````````````````
“Huh. What do you think?” Dean grumbled, still upset that it had been too sunny earlier for him to help Sam interviewing Travis. He hated how much the sun ruled his life but there was nothing they could do unless Sam suddenly developed a new power like illusions or something.

“I don’t know. But if that guy, Travis, was right, it happened pretty damn fast.” Sam said as they ducked under the police tape.

“So, what? Some sort of creature chewed on his brain?” Dean asked, looking around and seeing clearly despite the time of night.

“No, there’d be an entry wound. Sounds like this thing worked from the inside.”

“Huh. Looks like there’s only room for one. You wanna flip a coin?” Dean offered as they looked down the hole.

“Dean, we have no idea what’s down there.” Dean just looked at him and Sam shrugged.

“All right, I’ll go if you’re scared. You scared?” Dean offered and Sam glared at him.

“Flip the damn coin.” Sam snapped and Dean chuckled, taking out a coin.

“All right, call it in the air…chicken.” He flipped the coin and Sam caught it mid air.

“I’m going.” Sam stated.

“I said I’d go. Pretty much invulnerable after all.” Dean said and Sam shook his head.

“I’m going.” He stated, picking up the rope.

“All right.” Dean said, grabbing the other end of the rope.

“Don’t drop me.” Sam said before vanishing over the edge of the hole.

“You okay down there?” Dean called and Sam smiled at the worry in the vampires voice.

“I’m fine!” Sam called up.

````````````````````````````````````````````
“Welcome.” The man greeted after Dean knocked on the door.

“This the barbeque?” Dean asked and the man nodded.

“Yeah, not the best weather, but…I’m Larry Pike, the developer here. And you are…?”

“Dean. This is Sam.” Sam shook Larry’s hand but Dean just smiled.

“Sam, Dean, good to meet you. So, you two are interested in Oasis Plains?”

“Yes, sir.” Dean answered.

“Let me just say –- we accept homeowners of any race, religion, color, or…sexual orientation.” Larry offered and the two young men realised what he was trying to say.

“We’re brothers.” Sam answered, it was close enough to the truth after all and Larry seemed a bit embarrassed.

Our mother is getting on in years, and we’re just lookin’ for a place for her.” Sam explained.

“Great, great. Well, seniors are welcome, too. Come on in.” Larry led them outside to the backyard where they found plenty of people eating and talking.

“You said you were the developer?” Sam asked.

“Eighteen months ago, I was walking this valley with my survey team. There was nothing here but scrub brush and squirrels. And you know what, we built such a nice place to live that I actually bought into it myself. This is our house. We’re the first family in Oasis Plains.” They walked over to a woman.
“This is my wife, Joanie.” Larry introduced them

“Hi, nice to meet you.” She said.

“Sam and Dean.” Larry told her and Sam shook her hand.

“Sam.” He told her.

“Pleasure.” She answered.

“Tell them how much you love the place, honey. And lie if you have to because I need to sell some houses.” Larry told her and they laughed.

“Right.”

“Boys, will you excuse me?” Larry asked and then left.

“Don’t let his salesman routine scare you. This really is a great place to live.” She told thme as they were joined by another woman.

“Hi, I’m Lynda Bloome, head of sales.” She introduced herself.

“And Lynda was second to move in. She’s a very noisy neighbor, though.” Joanie told them before she left.

“She’s kidding, of course. I take it you two are interested in becoming homeowners.”

“Well…” Sam said.

“Y-yeah, well…” Dean tried.

“Well, let me just say that we accept homeowners of any race, religion, color, or…sexual orientation.” She said and Dean chuckled.

“Right. Um…I’m gonna go talk to Larry.” Dean said and then grinned at Sam.
“Okay, honey?” he walked away after lightly smacking Sam on the ass. Sam and Lydia stood in awkward silence, Sam trying not to blush.

````````````````````````````````````````
“You’ve got three choices –- carpet, hardwood, and tile.” Larry told Dean as they walked back downstairs. Dena looked around and spotted a jar full of bugs on a table.

“Whoa. Someone likes bugs.” He commented and Larry shrugged.

“My son - he’s into insects. He’s very…inquisitive.” Larry answered and Dean nodded before hiding a grin as he heard Lydia talking to Sam outside.

“Who can say “no” to a steam shower? I use mine everyday.” She gushed to the poor hunter.

“Sounds great.” Sam answered absently and Dean almost felt sorry for leaving him with her. “Excuse me.” Sam suddenly said, moving past Lydia to pick up a spider and then take it over to a teenager.
“Is this yours?”

“You gonna tell my dad?” the kid asked and Sam shrugged.

“I don’t know. Who’s your dad?”

“Yeah, Larry usually skips me in the family introductions.” The kid answered and Sam winced.

“Ouch. First name basis with the old man –- sounds pretty grim.” Sam said and the kid shrugged.

“Well, I’m not exactly brochure material. I’m Matt.”

“Sam. Well, hang in there. It gets better, all right? I promise.” Sam told him and the kid just stared at him.

“When?” Matt asked as Dean and Larry joined them.

“Matthew. I am so sorry about my son and his…pet.” Larry apologised and Sam smiled.

“It’s no bother.” Sam said, happy that he at least no longer looked like a teenager, made it easier to talk to adults. A few years ago Larry probably wouldn’t have been so eager to keep Sam happy as a potential customer.

“Excuse us.” Larry said, leading Matt away.

“How was your tour?” Sam asked and Dean grinned.

“Oh, it was excellent. I’m ready to buy.” He answered and Sam laughed.
“So you might be onto somethin’. Looks like Dustin Burwash wasn’t the first strange death around here.”

“What happened?” Sam asked, grabbing a burger.

“About a year ago, before they broke ground, one of Larry’s surveyors dropped dead while on the job. Get this—severe allergic reaction to bee stings.”

“More bugs.”

“More Bugs.” Dean agreed and they decided to leave, the sun looked like it might decide to emerge and they didn’t want to risk Dean being exposed. They got into the Impala, Sam driving and Dean leafed through John’s journal.
“You know, I’ve heard of killer bees, but killer beetles? What is it that could make different bugs attack?”

“Well, hauntings sometimes include bug manifestations.”

“Yeah, but I didn’t see any evidence of ghost activity.” Dean argued.

“Yeah, me neither.”

“Maybe they’re being controlled somehow. You know, by something or someone.” Dean offered.

“There are cases of psychic connections between people and animals – elementals, telepaths.”

“Yeah, that whole Timmy-Lassie thing.” Dean paused to think.
“Larry’s kid – he’s got bugs for pets.”

“Matt?” Sam asked and Dean nodded.

“Yeah.”

“He did try to scare the realtor with a tarantula.” Sam told him.

“You think he’s our psychic?” Dean asked.

“I don’t know. Anything’s possible, I guess.” Sam answered and then Dean perked up.

“Ooh, hey. Pull over here.” Dean said and Sam pulled into the empty driveway.

“What are we doing here?” He asked as Dean got out of the car.

“It’s too late to talk to anybody else.” Dean answered.

“We’re gonna squat in an empty house?” Sam asked and Dean shrugged.

“I wanna try the steam shower. Come on.” Dean said and Sam didn’t move.
“Come on! Please?” He asked and Sam sighed but pulled the Impala into the garage, Dean closing it behind him.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Damn it!! I hate this!” Dean growled, staring out the window at the brightly shining sun.

“Hey. Calm down Dean. Stay here and monitor the police bands, I’ll find Matt and question him. I’ll be back soon.” Sam soothed and Dean sagged but nodded. Sam smiled at him and then headed for the Impala, waving at Dean when he saw Dean at the window. He drove down the street and then grinned when he saw Matt disappear into the trees. He parked and followed him, finding the teen looking at insects.

“Hey, Matt. Remember me?” Sam called out.

“What are you doin’ out here?” Matt asked, looking around warily.

“Well, I want talk to you.” Sam said.

“You’re not here to buy a house, are you?” Matt asked and Sam shook his head.
W-wait. You’re not a serial killer?” Matt demanded and Sam laughed, shaking his head.

“No, no. No, I think you’re safe. So, Matt…you sure know a lot about insects.”

“So?”

“Did you hear what happened to Lynda, the realtor?”

“I hear she died this morning.”

“Mm, that’s right. Spider bites. Matt…you tried to scare her with a spider.” Sam stated flatly.

“Wait. You think I had something to do with that?” Matt asked, eyes wide.

“You tell me.”

“That tarantula was a joke. Anyway, that wouldn’t explain the bee attack or the gas company guy.”

“You know about those?” Sam asked, surprised and Matt nodded.

There is somethin’ going on here. I don’t know what…but something’s happening with the insects. Let me show you something.” Matt said, picking up his backpack and leading Sam further into the trees.

“So, if you knew about all this bug stuff, why not tell your dad? Maybe he could clear everybody out.”

“Believe me, I’ve tried. But, uh, Larry doesn’t listen to me.”

“Why not?”

“Mostly? He’s too disappointed in his freak son.” Matt told him bitterly.

“I hear you. Matt, how old are you?”

“Sixteen.”

“Well, don’t sweat it, because in two years, something great’s gonna happen.”

“What?” Matt grumbled and Sam smiled at him.

“College. You’ll be able to get out of that house and away from your dad.” Sam told him and Matt stared at him before smiling slightly.
“How much further, Matt?”

“We’re close.” Matt said and a few moments later they reached a large clearing. Sam could hear hundreds, maybe thousands, of different insects amongst the trees.
“I’ve been keeping track of insect populations. It’s, um, part of an AP science class.”

“What’s been happening?”

“A lot. I mean, from bees to earthworms, beetles…you name it. It’s like they’re congregating here.”

“Why?” Sam asked, frowning.

“I don’t know.”

“What’s that?” Sam pointed to a dark patch of grass and they walked over, finding hundreds of worms. Sam stepped on some and they fell in, revealing a hole. He crouched down and used a stick to poke around
“There’s somethin’ down there.” He tossed the stick aside and reached in. Sam grimaced in disgust and then brought his hand up, both of them staring in horror. Covered in dirt and worms was a human skull.

`````````````````````````````````````````````
As they left the diner Dean seemed to hunch in on himself and Sam reached out to put a hand on his shoulder.

“How did he....” Dean whispered and Sam shrugged.

“It’s okay Dean.” Sam offered and Dean glared.

“You heard what he said!”

“And he was wrong! He doesn’t know you Dean, you’re not a killer. He saw a vampire and assumed without taking into account you’re with me and the colour of your eyes. We know the truth, Mom knows the truth. That’s all that matters. So let’s solve this case and move on, okay?”

“Okay.” Dean said as they got into the Impala.

“When did the gas company man die?” Sam asked and Dean took a deep breath before looking through the notes.

“Uh, let’s see, we got here Tuesday, so, Friday the twentieth.”

“March twentieth?” Sam asked and Dean nodded.
“That’s the spring equinox.”

“The night the sun and the moon share the sky as equals.”


So, every year about this time, anybody in Oasis Plains is in danger. Larry built this neighbourhood on cursed land.” Sam shook his head.

“And on the sixth night – that’s tonight.”

“If we don’t do something, Larry’s family will be dead by sunrise. So how do we break the curse?” Sam thought out loud but even Dean knew the answer to that after over a decade of hunting with Sam.

“You don’t break a curse. You get out of its way. We’ve gotta get those people out now.” Dean said and Sam pulled over at the first pay phone they say. Sam waited by the car as Dean called the Pike’s.

“Yes, Mr. Pike, there’s a mainline gas leak in your neighborhood.” Dean explained.

“God, really? And how big?” Larry asked.

“Well, it’s fairly extensive. I don’t want to alarm you, but we need your family out of the vicinity for at least twelve hours or so, just to be safe.”

“And who is this, again?”

“Travis Weaver. I work for Oklahoma Gas and Power.” Dean lied.

“Uh-huh. Well, the problem is, I know Travis. He’s worked with us for a year, so who is this?”

“Uh…” Panicked he hung up.

“Give me the phone.” Sam called, walking over and dialling.

“Hello?” Matt asked and Sam grinned.

“Matt, it’s Sam.”

“Sam, my backyard is crawling with cockroaches.”

“Matt, just listen. You have to get your family out of that house right now, okay?”

“What, why?”

“Because something’s coming.” Sam told him.

“More bugs?”

“Yeah, a lot more.”

“My dad doesn’t listen in the best of circumstances, what am I supposed to tell him?”

“You’ve gotta make him listen, okay?” Sam argued and Dean rolled his eyes.

“Give me the phone, give me the phone.” Dean grumbled, taking it from Sam, squishing them both into the booth.
“Matt, under no circumstances are you to tell the truth, they’ll just think you’re nuts.”

“But he’s my—“

“Tell him you have a sharp pain in your right side and you’ve gotta go to the hospital, okay?” Dean asked.

“Yeah. Yeah, okay.” Matt hung up and so did Dean.

“Make him listen? What are you thinkin’?” Dean asked Sam who shrugged. They got back in the car and headed for the Pike’s place. Sam floored it and they were soon at the house.
“Damn it, they’re still here. Come on.” They got out of the car and Matt ran towards them.

“Get off my property before I call the cops.” Larry yelled as he came outside.

“Mr. Pike, listen.” Sam tried.

“Dad, they’re just tryin’ to help.” Matt argued and Larry glared at him.

“Get in the house!”

“I’m sorry. I told him the truth.” Matt muttered and Sam smiled at him.

“We had a plan, Matt, what happened to the plan?” Dean grumbled and the kid shrugged.

“Look, it’s 12:00 AM. They are coming any minute now. You need to get your family and go, before it’s too late.” Sam told Larry.

“Yeah, you mean before the biblical swarm.”

“Larry, what do you think really happened to that realtor, huh? And the gas company guy? You don’t think somethin’ weird’s goin’ on here?” Dean tried and Larry glared at them.

“Look, I don’t know who you are, but you’re crazy. You come near my boy or my family again, and we’re gonna have a problem.”

“Well, I hate to be a downer, but we’ve got a problem right now.” Dean snapped, eyes darkening a little.

“Dad, they’re right, okay? We’re in danger.”

“Matt, get inside! Now!”

“No! Why won’t you listen to me?!” Matt yelled.

“Because this is crazy! It doesn’t make any sense!”

“Look, this land is cursed! People have died here. Now, are you gonna really take that risk with your family?”

“Wait.” Dean growled and they all fell silent.
“You hear it?” he asked and only Sam nodded, straining his hearing. A few seconds later they could all hear it, buzzing that was only getting louder.

“What the hell?” Larry looked around as the bug light on the porch began to overheat form all the bugs.

“All right, it’s time to go. Larry, get your wife.” Dean ordered.

“Guys.” Matt called and they all looked up to see millions of bugs flying towards the house.

“Oh my God.” Larry whispered.

“We’ll never make it.” Sam said and Dean nodded.

“Everybody in the house. Everybody in the house, go!” Dean called and they rushed inside, locking the door.

“Okay, is there anybody else in the neighborhood?” Sam asked.

“No, it’s just us.”

“Honey, what’s happening? What’s that noise?” Joanie asked as she joined them.

“Call 911.” Larry told her but she didn’t move.
“Joanie!”

“Okay.” She picked up the phone and dialled.

“I need towels.” Dean called.

“Uh, in the closet.” Larry told him and Sam turned to Matt.

“Okay, we’ve gotta lock this place up, come on –- doors, windows, fireplace, everything, okay?”

“Phones are dead.” Joanie called out.

“They must have chewed through the phone lines.” Dean said, putting towels around all the gaps he could find. Then the lights went out.
“And the power lines.” He muttered, eyes instantly adjusting.
“They’re blanketing the house.

“So what do we do now?” Larry asked as Sam helped Matt down the stairs.

“We try to outlast it. Hopefully, the curse will end at sunrise.” Sam told him.

“Hopefully?”

Dean walked out of the kitchen with a can of bug spray and received funny looks for it.

“Bug spray?” Joanie asked and Dean grinned.

“Trust me.” He said, tossing it to Sam who nodded. Of course that was when the fireplace started creaking ominously.

“What is that?” matt whispered fearfully.

“The flue.” Sam answered.

“All right, I think everybody needs to get upstairs.” Dean said just as the bugs got in through the fireplace, swarming them. Dean grabbed Joanie and Matt, using his body to shelter them as Sam did the same to Larry. Sam held up the can and then it flared up thanks to his powers, the flames keeping some of the bugs away.
“All right, everybody upstairs! Now! Go, go, go!” Dean ordered and they herded the family upstairs, into the attic. A few moments later sawdust began to fall from the ceiling.

“Oh, God, what’s that?” Joanie moaned.

“Something’s eating through the wood.” Larry whispered.

“Termites.” Matt stated.

“All right, everybody get back. Get back, get back, get back!” Dean ordered and the three Pikes huddled together in a corner as Sam and Dean got in front of them. Dean used himself as a vampiric shield while Sam used the can as a flamethrower. It wasn’t a good defence as more holes opened up. Dean snarled in rage as they started getting past him and attacking the Pikes. Sam winced as he received several bites, his demonic healing kicking in gradually. Sam looked at Dean, knowing they wouldn’t be able to save the family and then suddenly it was quiet and they stared in awe as the sun rose. Dean quickly moved into the shadows to avoid freaking them out by sparkling.
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean gently checked the few remaining bites on Sam’s arms, happy that they were healing. He hated seeing Sam hurt, not that it happened often with Sam’s reflexes and powers on top of a lifetime of training as a hunter but it did happen.

“I’m fine Dean. Everyone got out safe.” Sam whispered and Dean nodded slowly.

“I thought....” Dean stammered and Sam reached out, cupping Dean’s face in his hands.

“We’re okay Dean.” Sam whispered again and Dean stared at him, seeing how Sam had changed since they’d first met. He hadn’t really aged but matured, features losing any trace of childhood and becoming more refined. For a thirty two year old Sam didn’t look over twenty three tops and that made Dean happy, especially since Sam hadn’t physically changed at all in the last ten years. It gave Dean hope that he wouldn’t one day have to bury Sam or beg him to try being changed.

“Sammy.” Dean whispered and then he closed the distance between them, gently pressing his lips to Sam’s. He pulled back, staring at Sam fearfully but Sam just smiled and leant in to kiss him.
“I...I love you Sam.” Dean whispered and Sam’s smile widened.

“Love you too Dean.”

TBC...