Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


“Hey Sammy, take a look at this.” Dean called and Sam walked across the room to look at the article, odd sightings at an abandoned asylum.

“What about it?” Sam asked, leaning against Dean who smiled at him.

“It’s in Dad’s journal as a place to keep an eye on. Apparently there was a riot that led to several deaths before the place closed.” Dean explained. He’d gotten used to calling John Dad after Sam and his Mom had both told him it was fine. Sure he’d never met the man and only knew him through Sam’s and his Mom’s stories but calling him Dad made Dean feel closer to him.

“We’re not that far away, do you want to check it out?” Sam asked and Dean looked at him, Sam was the one to decide what was a hunt, not Dean. Sam just smiled and kissed him briefly.
“You’re a hunter too Dean, you know enough to spot a hunt. This is up to you.” Sam’s explanation had Dean grinning in glee; he’d finally graduated from Sam’s training and was an actual hunter.

“Like you said, it’s not far. Better to check it out now then to have to come back in a few years because someone dies.” Dean decided and Sam grinned, moving to pack their gear. Dean stood up and went to take a quick shower; he could still smell the blood from his last hunt even if humans couldn’t.

`````````````````````````````````````````
Sam got them a motel room and Dean slipped quickly inside, staying out of the sunlight as much as he could and moving too fast for the human eye to see. Sam followed with the bags and smiled at seeing Dean lay out on the sole bed. He dumped Dean’s bag on him and Dean made a mock sound of pain even as Sam dropped down to join him, Dean immediately curling in to enjoy the warmth of Sam’s body. Sam smiled and wrapped his arms around him, happy to lie on the bed and just hold Dean close. They hadn’t gone any further than kisses and the occasional touching yet, Dean was scared he wouldn’t be able to control his strength or the urge to bite despite not being attracted to Sam’s blood and Sam understood the worry. Yes, he could kill vampires but to keep himself safe while being with the vampire he loved? Yeah, they’d wait as long as it took for Dean to be confident of his control.

Sam grinned as he spotted the paper left on the room’s table, raising his hand and it flew into his grip. He opened it up and laughed as he found just what they needed, an article on the Roosevelt Asylum. And then all amusement fled as he read.

“Sammy?” Dean murmured, feeling him tense.

“Looks like we’re too late to stop anyone dying. Back in 72, three kids went in, only one came out. Looks like those are the only deaths since the riot though. According to this several of the bodies were never recovered so it could be multiple spirits.” Sam explained and Dean nodded.

“But there’s no way the bodies could be anywhere else right?” Dean asked and Sam nodded.

“So easy, we just torch the place.” Dean offered and Sam grinned but couldn’t see any problems with that.

“Sounds good to me. We’ll wait till tonight. That gives us all day to do nothing.” Sam told him and Dean grinned moving to lean over Sam.

“Nothing?” The vampire asked and Sam smiled up at him, reaching up to tangle his fingers in Dean’s hair.

“Well I’m sure we can come up with something.” Sam finally said, tugging Dean down so that their lips connected. When they parted so Sam could breathe they were both smiling.

```````````````````````````````````
They watched as emergency services converged on the burning building, leaning against the Impala far enough away that they wouldn’t be detected. Sam’s eyes were shut, his hands balled into fists as he leant against Dean’s comforting form. Dean had his arms wrapped around Sam’s waist, supporting him as Sam focused on making sure the building was destroyed completely. Dean watched as the firemen fought to bring the blaze under control but failed. If there was one thing a hunter knew how to do it was to make a good fire and with Sam helping it the poor firemen had no chance of stopping it. Sam finally slumped in Dean’s arms, the job done and Dean got him into the car, driving away from the scene. Dean watched as Sam drifted off to sleep, smiling at the sight of Sam’s head pillowed in his lap, he knew it couldn’t be the most comfortable place for Sam to lie, yes Sam could handle more temperature extremes than a normal human but Dean was practically freezing cold. He took a hand off the wheel and reached into the back, snagging a jacket which he managed to slip onto his lap under Sam to help him stay warm. This was one of those times he really wished he had body heat to share, wished that for Sam he could be human. But then Sam would outlive him and be alone and he didn’t want that either.

```````````````````````````````````````````````
“Happy Birthday Mom.” Dean hugged her and she smiled, kissing his cheek. When Dean stepped back Sam moved in to hug her as well.

“Happy Birthday Mom, are you sure you’re fifty five? I think you lied to me about your age.” Sam teased and Mary laughed, cuffing him upside the head gently.

“Very funny Mr. ‘I’m thirty three but barely look like I’m in my twenties’.” She said and Sam shrugged. Mentioning her age had made Dean slump a little and she hugged her son again.
“So you came all the way form New York just for my birthday?” She asked and they both nodded.

“We finished the hunt and sort of….drove straight through to get here in time.” Dean admitted and Mary laughed, walking into the living room. She sat down on the couch and her boys sat on either side of her, wrapped packages appearing in their hands. She opened them, thanking the boys for the souvenirs of the places they’d been. Then Dean vanished and when he came back he held a cake in his hands, candles already lit. She blew the candles out and cut the cake, her and Sam eating some and Dean pulling grossed out faces when Sam smeared some icing on Dean’s lips.

Mary got up and went to get herself a cup of coffee as the boys messed around only for the mug to slip through her fingers. She gasped and Dean was there, catching the mug before it could shatter on the floor and then Sam was gently lifting her into his arms, carrying her back to the couch. Dean reappeared, a cool cloth in his hands and then he gently placed it on her forehead.

“Mom?” Dean called shakily and she took his hand.

“I’m okay.” She told him and Sam frowned, checking her pulse.

“Dean call an ambulance.” Sam told him and Dean got up to make the call.

“Sam I’m fine.” She argued and Sam shook his head, hazel eyes wide with fear he wouldn’t show, not when one of them had to remain calm.

“You’re pulse is racing, your hands are shaking, your temperature’s too high….better safe then sorry Mom.” Sam argued and she sighed but went when the ambulance arrived.

``````````````````````````````````````````
Dean stared at his Mom as she lay in the hospital bed, distantly aware of Sam’s arms around him, offering comfort. As far as the staff were concerned Sam was his half-brother so nothing would be said about Sam hugging him. There was no way they’d admit to being together; it would bring too much attention to them and might even get them kicked out. He wanted to go into the room, see her, but he was scared to.

Sam held Dean, offering what comfort he could as they looked at their Mom through the window. She looked so frail hooked up to the machines, nothing like the strong woman Sam had come to see as his mother. They’d all known the cancer could come back, or even cause other problems. But Mary had seemed so strong.

“Sammy.” Dean whispered too quietly for anyone but Sam to hear.

“It’ll be okay Dean, I’m here.” Sam whispered, rubbing Dean’s back.
“She won’t leave us without a fight.” He assured Dean who turned and buried his face in Sam’s shirt, hiding the tears that could never fall.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean looked around the room, hating that his Mom would have to live in it. She shouldn’t have to give up the house but the doctors said she couldn’t live alone anymore and they couldn’t stay. Sam joined him, having stayed in reception to finish the paperwork for him.

“It’s not too bad.” Sam offered and Dean nodded tersely.
“Dean…I know you hate this, I do too. But this is best for Mom, she can’t come on the road with us and we can’t stay.” Sam told him.

“I can’t stay, you could.” Dean answered bitterly and Sam sighed.

“Could I? In case you haven’t noticed Dean I’m not aging anymore. It wouldn’t take that long for someone to realise. And there’s no way I’m leaving you.” Sam told him and Dean nodded, slumping.

“I just want her to be better.” Dean choked out and Sam hugged him, smiling as Mary was wheeled into the room.

“Hey Mom, the trip okay?” Sam asked, moving to help her instead of letting the orderly do it. She smiled at her youngest and let him help her to the bed.

“It was fine Sam. Come give me a hug Dean.” She called and Dean moved over to the bed, bending down to hug her gently.
“I’m not that breakable sweetie.” She scolded and Dean shrugged as her bag was brought in.
“Thank you.” She said and the staff left to let her get settled. Sam busied himself with getting her things put away even as Dean sat beside her, unwilling to leave her side.
“Sam sit down, we need to discuss some things.” Mary called and Sam left the dresser, moving to sit on her other side.
“First of all, the house. We have to be realistic; I won’t be going back there to live again. So the two of you need to decide wether or not you want to keep it or sell it.” She started and Dean jerked away, shaking his head in denial.
“Dean baby, it’s okay.” She called out; reaching for him but Dean simply jumped out the window and was gone.
“Dean?” She called and then Sam was holding her gently.
“Sam?” She asked and he smiled at her.

“I’ll go after him, it’ll be okay Mom.” He told her and then she was alone in the room that would be her home for the rest of her life. Stupid doctors deciding it was too dangerous for her to live alone, couldn’t they see how much it was hurting her children?

`````````````````````````````````````````````
Sam ran fast enough to be a blur to anyone who might glimpse hi, tracking Dean through the town and out into the countryside. He knew things were changing too fast for the still young vampire but he’d hoped being involved would help Dean deal with things. He finally found Dean and felt his heart break at the sight. Dean was huddled on the ground, knees up to his chin, golden eyes screwed shut as his breath stuttered out of him. He was obviously crying, as much as a vampire could cry, and hadn’t noticed Sam’s presence. He walked over, making no effort to hide his presence but Dean still jumped when Sam gently pulled him into his arms. Dean tensed for a second before melting into Sam’s embrace, clinging to his jacket as he dry sobbed. Sam just sat there, holding him close and letting him grieve. And if he cried a bit himself, the rain that had finally begun to fall hid his tears well enough.

TBC…