Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Mary sighed as she watched Dean sit huddled near the window. Sam glanced at her and shrugged, he didn’t know what else to do either.

“You two should go, find a hunt somewhere.” She said and they both looked at her.

“Mom.” Dean whispered and she smiled at him.

“It’s not doing anyone any good you two just hanging around here. Go on, you can call me all the time.” She ordered and Dean shook his head frantically.
“Dean come here sweaty.” She held out a hand and he slowly moved over to the chair she was sitting in. She gently tugged until he was in her arms, hugging her.
“Dean please, this isn’t good for you. I’ll be fine here.” Mary promised him and golden eyes stared at her solemnly before he finally nodded.

``````````````````````````````````````````````
“Dude, this is sweet. We’ve never worked a job like this.” Dean grinned as he got out of the car and Sam smiled in amusement.

“Like what?”

“Old school haunted houses, you know? Fog, and secret passageways, sissy British accents. Might even run into Fred and Daphne while we're inside.” Dean grinned and Sam laughed as they headed up the stairs, but he stopped as he noticed an urn on the side of the porch.

“I'm not so sure haunted's the problem.” Sam commented and Dean joined him.

“What do you mean?”

“You see this pattern here?” he tapped a five-point symbol engraved in the urn.
“That's a quincunx, that's a five-spot.”

“Five-spot?” Dean asked curiously, studying it and knowing he’d never forget it, had to love vampire memory.

“Yeah.” Sam looked at him and Dean thought about what it could be.

“That's used for hoodoo spell work, isn't it?” Dean asked and Sam nodded proudly.

“Right, yeah. You fill this thing with bloodweed and you've got a powerful charm to ward off enemies.”

“Okay, except I don't see any bloodweed. Don't you think this place is a little too, uh, white meat for hoodoo?” Dean asked and Sam shrugged.

“Maybe. Lets go check in.” Sam said and they headed inside.

“May I help you?” Susan asked as they walked towards the desk.

“Hi, yeah, we'd like a room for a couple of nights.” Dean answered even as Tyler and Maggie darted in front of Sam who dodged backwards.

“Hey!” Susan called out in annoyance before turning to Sam apologetically.
“ Sorry about that.”

“No problem.” He told her.

“Well, congratulations, you could be some of our final guests.”

“Well. Sounds vaguely ominous.” Dean answered and Susan sighed.

“No, I'm sorry, I mean we're closing at the end of the month. Well, let me guess. You guys are here antiquing?” She asked and Dean shared a look with Sam who shrugged.

“How'd you know?”

“Oh, you just look the type.” She told him, making Dean uncomfortable.
“So, uh, king-sized bed?”

“That’d be great thanks.” Sam told her, surprised that she seemed perfectly fine with it. Was that what she’d meant by them ‘antiquing’?
“You know, speaking of antiques, you have a really, really interesting urn on the front porch. Where did you get that?”

“Oh, I have no idea, it's been there forever.” She answered, handing Dean a key.
“Here you go, Mr. Mahagov.”

“Thanks.” Dean said, taking the key and fake card back. Susan smiled and rang the bell.

“You'll be staying in room 237. Sherwin, could you show these gentlemen to their rooms?” Susan asked and they turned to see an older man coming towards them.

“Let me guess. Antiquers?” Sherwin asked before grabbing Dean’s duffle and heading for the stairs.

“I could give you a hand with that bag.” Dean offered, not liking the way the man’s heart sounded.

“I got it.”

“Okay.” Dean said, keeping an eye on him anyway.

“So the hotel's closing up, huh?” Sam asked and Sherwin nodded.

“Yep. Miss Susan tried to make a go of it, but the guests just don't come like they used to. Still, it's a damn shame.”

“Oh yeah?”

“It may not look it anymore, but this place was a palace. Two different vice presidents laid their heads on our pillows. My parents worked here, I practically grew up here. Gonna miss it. Here's your room.” He slipped the key in the lock and opened the door. Sam took the key and smiled as he went inside. Dean followed and went to shut the door to find Sherwin standing there, hand out.
“You're not gonna cheap on me, are you, boy?” Dean smirked and took out his wallet, handing over a few bills. Sherwin left and Dean shut the door, moving to lie on the bed.

“Funny old man.” He mumbled and Sam laughed as he joined Dean on the bed. Dean curled into the taller males’ side, content to just lie still for a while. It was hard to focus on why they were there and not his Mom but he forced himself to, lives could depend on it. Sam waved his hand and the phone floated up and over, making Dean smile. Sam wasn’t telepathic or anything, he just knew Dean that well now. Sam just held him while Dean chatted with Mary, throwing in a comment here and there.

`````````````````````````````````````````````
“What happened?” Sam asked when they found Susan watching an ambulance drive away.

“Oh, the maid went in to turn down the sheets and he was just... hanging there.” She answered and they exchanged a look behind her back.

“That's awful. He was a guest?” Dean asked but she shook her head.

“He worked for the company that bought the place.”

“Hmm.” Dean looked at Sam who frowned.

“I don't understand.” Susan whispered.

“What?” Sam asked gently and she finally looked at them.

“Had a lot of bad luck around here. Look, if you'd like to check out I'll give you a full refund.” She offered and Dean grinned.

“No thanks. I don't scare that easy.” He told her and she nodded, walking away.
“We need to solve this before anyone else dies.”

“Yeah. Notice they all seem to have something to do with the family moving out? Something or someone doesn’t want them to leave.” Sam commented, watching Tyler as she played outside.

```````````````````````````````````````
Sam laughed as they ran through the trees, letting Dean take the lead as he hunted for blood. It was nice to take a few hours away from the hotel, clear their heads and make sure Dean wasn’t tempted to snack on the staff. Sam watched as Dean took down a deer, drinking it dry quickly before taking off after another one. Sam knelt by the carcass and tool out his knife, messing the wound up more, just in case someone found it before the local predators did.

`````````````````````````````````````
“Find any good antiques?” Sherwin asked as Dean sat at the bar.

“Um, no! No, I got distracted.” Dean answered, having forgotten their cover story.

“Have a drink.” Sherwin grabbed a glass and went for a bottle.

“Yeah, thanks.” Dean hid a grimace as the man poured him some. He’d have to drink it but bringing it up later was going to be a pain.
“So, poor guy, huh? Killing himself?”

“That kind of thing seems to be going around lately.”

“Yeah, yeah, I heard about the other ones. It's almost like this hotel is cursed or something.” Dean offered, taking a mouthful and fighting the urge to spit it back out.

“Every hotel has its spilled blood. If people only knew what's gone on in some of those rooms they've checked into.” Sherwin reminisced and Dean looked at him.

“You know a lot about the place, don't you?” The vampire asked and Sherwin nodded.

“Down to the last nail.”

“I'd love to hear some stories.”

“Boy, you should never say that to an old man.” Sherwin grinned at Dean settled in for what he was sure to be the next several hours.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Mrs. Thompson? Mrs. Thompson?” Sam called gently as they made their way into the room. She was trembling in her chair, staring at nothing.
“Rose? Hi, Mrs. Thompson, we're not here to hurt you, its okay.” He soothed, moving closer.
“Rose?” He asked but she just started to tremble more.
“Dean.” He whispered, pulling him aside.
“This woman's had a stroke.” He pointed out and Dean nodded.

“Yeah, but hoodoo's hands-on, I mean, you've got to mix herbs, and chant, and build an altar.” Dean murmured and Sam nodded.

“Yeah. So it can't be Rose. Hey, maybe it's not even hoodoo.”

“Or she could be faking.” Dean offered.

“Yeah, what are you gonna do, poke her with a stick?” Sam asked and Dean nodded, frowning and Sam’s eyes went wide.
“No! You're not gonna poke her with a stick!” Sam ordered and Dean rolled his eyes. Hearing footsteps coming they exchanged looks and then Dean opened the window, picked up Sam and leapt out.
“That was close. Thanks for the lift.” Sam gave him a quick peck on the lips and Dean grinned.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Whisky. “ Susan demanded as Dean helped her sit down and Sam grinned, going behind the bar to grab the bottle.

“Sure. I know the feeling.” He told her as he poured her a glass, handing it over.

“What the hell happened out there?” She demanded after she’d taken several mouthfuls.

“You want the truth?” Dean asked.

“Of course.” She snapped back and he nodded.

“Well, at first we thought it was some sort of hoodoo curse, but that out there? That was definitely a spirit.” Dean explained and she stared at them.

“You're insane.”

“Yeah, it's been said.” Sam mumbled before sighing and sitting opposite her.
“Look, I'm sorry, Susan. We don't exactly have time to ease you into this, but we need to know when your mother had the stroke.”

“What does that have to do with anything?” Susan demanded.

“Just answer the question.” Dean told her and Susan sighed.

“About a month ago.”

“Right before the killings began.” Sam stated and then looked at Dean excitedly.
“See? So what if Rose was working hoodoo, but not to hurt anyone. To protect them.” Sam worked it out and Dean nodded.

“She was using the five spot urns to ward off the spirit.”

“Right, until she had a stroke and she couldn't anymore.”

“I don't believe this.” Susan mumbled, pouring herself another glass and Sam quickly took the bottle away, last thing they needed was her getting drunk.

“Listen, sister, that car didn't try to run you down by itself, okay? I mean, I guess it did, technically, but, but the spirit can….forget it.” Dean gave up and Sam faced her, staring her in the eyes.

“Look, believe what you want. But the fact is you and your family are in danger, all right? So you need to clear everybody out of here: your employees, your mother, your daughters, everyone.”

“Um, I only have one daughter.” She interrupted and Sam frowned.

“One?”

“I thought Tyler had a sister named Maggie.” Dean pointed out though he hadn’t smelt another kid around.

“Maggie's imaginary.” Susan stated and Sam paled.

“Where's Tyler?” He demanded and Susan stared at him.

`````````````````````````````````````````
“She's going to stay here with me. And you can't stop me. There's nothing you can do about it.” Maggie taunted Rose. She looked over as Tyler entered the room.

“Maggie, don't! You're not supposed to bother grandma.”

“I know. Come on. Let's play.” Maggies said, grinning and Tyler nodded.

“Can we have a tea party?” She asked and Maggie nodded, walking away from Rose who was shaking badly.

“We can have lots of tea parties. Forever and ever and ever.” Maggie promised.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Tyler!” Susan called as they went into the playroom to find it littered with broken dolls.
“Oh my god. Tyler. Tyler! She's not here!”

“Susan. Tell us what you know about Maggie.” Sam demanded, trying to get her to think past her panic.

“Uh, not much. Um, Tyler's been talking about her since Mom got sick.”

“Okay, did you ever know anyone by that name?” Dean tried and she shook her head.

“Uh, no...”

“Think, think, I mean, somebody that could have lived here, might have passed away?” Dean tried again and Susan paled.

“Oh my god. My mom. My mom had a sister named Margaret. She barely spoke about her.”

“Did Margaret happen to die here when she was a kid?” Sam asked, sensing something was about to happen, something bad.

“She drowned in the pool.” Susan whispered.

“Come on.” Dean yelled. Grabbing Susan and taking the quick route, out the window. Sam rolled his eyes but followed, using his powers to slow his fall. Susan clung to Dean, terrified by the speed at which the two men were running but he put her down when they reached the pool house. Dean slammed into the door but it was being held shut by something so they started trying the glass.

“Tyler!” Susan called and the girl looked over from where she was clinging to the rail.

“Mommy!” She screamed even as Maggie grabbed her wrist and pulled her forward, sending her into the pool with a scream.

“Is there another entrance?” Dean demanded and Susan nodded.

“Around back.”

“All right, let's go. Keep working.” He told Sam who moved to another window. Sam could see Tyler floundering, her head being held under.
“Stand back.” Dean warned as he kicked the back door but it didn’t budge.
“Son of a bitch!”

“Margaret. Margaret!” A soft voice called out to Maggie as she held Tyler down. Sam finally managed to break through the glass and wriggled through the opening. He didn’t even pause before hurling himself over the rail and into the pool. Sam shoved through the plastic cover, fighting to reach her before it was too late. He grabbed her, lifting her in his arms but Tyler laid limp, unconscious. As he struggled out of the pool Dean finally got through the back door with Susan. Sam began CPR and after a few seconds Tyler coughed out some water and slowly woke up.

“Thank god!” Susan whispered as Tyler turned to her.

“Mommy!”

“Yeah, baby, I'm here.”

“Tyler, do you see Maggie anywhere?” Sam asked, pretty sure she was gone.

“No, she's gone. Mommy.”

``````````````````````````````````````````````````
“You'd really do that for me?” Maggie asked Rose.
“Yes. If you did, I'd let them go. But I don't understand. You kept me away for so long. I thought you didn't love me anymore. Okay. Little sister.”

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Don't worry, honey, we're leaving in two minutes, we've just got to get Grandma.” Susan promised as they ran to Rose’s room, the boys following them.

“I don't get it, did Maggie just stop?” Dean asked and Sam shrugged.

“Seems like it.”

“Well, where the hell did she go?” Dean asked, frowning as he realised something was wrong. They ran as they heard Susan scream. They burst into the room to find Rose slumped in her chair, dead.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Paramedics said it was another stroke. Do you think Margaret could have had something to do with it?”

“We don't know.” Dean answered and Sam sighed.

“But it's possible, yeah. Susan, I'm sorry.” He whispered and she smiled shakily.

“You have nothing to apologize for. You've given me everything. Ready to go, kiddo?” Susan asked as Tyler joined them.

“Yeah.”

“Now Tyler, you're sure Maggie's not around anymore?” Dean asked again.

“I'm sure. I'd see her.”

“I guess whatever's going on must be over.” Dean stated as Sam held the taxi door for Susan.

“You two take care of yourselves, all right?” He said and she hugged him before getting in.

“Thank you. Both of you.” She said and then they cab pulled out.

“Think they’re both in there?” Dean asked, staring at the house.

“Yeah.” Sam answered, able to hear the distant sound of children laughing.

TBC….