Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
By the way this is set 1970, Sam is nineteen and Dean is twenty one so they’re closer in age.

Dean stared around nervously as they reached the edge of the trees. Sam held his hand, rubbing his fingers in comforting circles over the cold skin. Dean was practically plastered to Sam’s side as they left the forest for the first time since Dean had been changed.

“It’s okay Dean, we’re alone.” Sam soothed as they walked towards the black Impala parked nearby.
“Here’s the car.” Sam opened the trunk and put the one bag he had back in, seeing Dean’s eyes widen slightly at the sight of the weapons and various talismans in the hidden compartment. He guided Dean to the passenger side and watched as Dean slid in, looking around the interior.
“You like it?” Sam asked as he got into the driver’s side.

“An Impala?” Dean asked hesitantly, obviously searching his sometimes foggy memories.

“Yep, a ’67, my Dad got it for me for my sixteenth.” Sam told him with a smile as he started the engine.
“So I figured we’ll head north towards the border.” Sam told him as he pulled out onto the highway.

“Could we....could we go to Kansas?” Dean asked quietly and Sam glanced over at him.

“Dean...you can’t go home.” Sam told him sadly and Dean nodded.

“I know but.....my Mom. I was all she had. Please can’t we just sneak a look? Make sure she’s okay?” Dean pleaded and Sam sighed but then took the next turn that would take them east and Dean smiled, settling in to watch the scenery.

“So you’re from Kansas, how’d you end up in California?” Sam asked after a while and Dean frowned.

“I don’t remember.” Dean whispered and Sam nodded.

“That’s okay Dean, its normal for you to have gaps in your memory. Some lose all memory of their mortal lives. So where in Kansas are we heading?” Sam asked and Dean looked down.
“Check your pocket, I saved your wallet and slipped it back into your pocket before we got in the car. There should be something in there to give us a clue.” Sam told him and Dean reached into his pocket to pull it out. Sam watched him out of the corner of his eyes, seeing how carefully Dean opened it. Dean slowly pulled out the contents and then smiled, holding up a photo of Dean and a woman with blond hair standing in front of a nice house.
“Anything written on the back?”

“Mum and me, Lawrence Kansas, 1964.” Dean read and Sam grinned.

“Lawrence Kansas huh? Small world, I was born there.”

“Really? Um....how old are you?”

“Nineteen. You?” Sam asked back and Dean bit his lip.
“Well the photo says 64 and you look about fourteen....sixteen tops so you’re now between twenty and twenty two probably. Not a bad age to get stuck at, old enough to live independently but young enough to pass as late teens if you need to.” Sam told him and Dean nodded.
“So since I slept recently we can drive straight through we’ll be there early tomorrow morning and can find someplace to hole up for the day unless it’s going to be an overcast day. We can scout around, find the house and watch it. We will stop about half way to so we can both eat.”

````````````````````````````````````````````
Sam kept a hand on Dean’s shoulder as they watched a car drive up to the house from Dean’s photo. It parked and a woman looking like an older version of the one in the photo got out with a bag of groceries and headed for the front door.

“Mom.” Dean whispered, tensing under Sam’s hand. Sam stared at her and frowned, why did she look vaguely familiar?
“Can we get closer?” Dean pleaded and Sam sighed, closing his eyes to ‘see’ where in the house she was.

“She’s in the kitchen, there’s some cover near the window back there.” Sam said and they moved faster than the human eye could track. They hid themselves and watched as she put the groceries away, moving slowly as she worked. Dean watched her closely and then frowned when he saw something on the fridge.

“Oh Mom.” Dean whispered as he realised what it was, a missing poster with his picture on it.
“Can’t we do something? Even a death certificate would be better than not knowing.” Dean begged and Sam chewed on his lip. Could they fake a death report for her? At least give her some sort of closure. And then Sam noticed something, her bracelet was full of various protection charms and along the windowsills were salt lines.

“Your Mom’s a hunter?” He hissed and Dean just looked at him.

“What?” Dean stared at him in confusion.

“The salt, her bracelet....she knows the life Dean.”

“Does that mean I can see her?” Dean’s confusion turned to hope and Sam sighed.

“Some hunters....they’re not all like me Dean. A lot will kill anything not human.” Sam explained and Dean went back to staring at his mother.

“But can we try?”

“Alright, I’ll go talk to her. You don’t move unless I call you, understood?” Sam demanded and Dean nodded.
“Okay, just sit here and stay calm.” Sam soothed, seeing that his tone had been making Dean a bit agitated.
“Just relax and don’t eat the neighbours.” He changed to teasing and was relieved when Dean rolled his eyes. Thankfully he’d fed that morning so he wouldn’t be too tempted by the smells.

Sam moved around to the front of the house and rang the doorbell, running a hand through his hair in an effort to make himself look more presentable. He smiled when the door opened and Dean’s mother was standing there.

“Can I help you?” She asked.

“My name’s Sam Winchester and...”

“Winchester? Are you related to John?” She cut in and Sam stared at her in shock.

“My Dad was John Winchester.” He answered and she stepped back, silently inviting him in.

“Was?” She asked and Sam sighed.

“He died two years ago, um....” Sam made the point of noticing her bracelet and letting his eyes go wide.
“So did you know him through work?” Sam asked, looking back up at her as she fingered her bracelet.

“Christo.” She whispered and Sam smiled.

“Nope. So did you know Dad through hunting?” Sam shifted his shirt enough to show off the anti-possession tattoo over his heart and her eyes went wide.

“John hunted? How? Why?”

“Wait, Dad didn’t hunt when you knew him?”

“No, it’s why....it’s why I broke off our engagement.” She admitted and Sam gasped, realising why she looked familiar.

“You’re Mary, the one in the photo Dad always carried.” Sam whispered. And the world kept on getting smaller.

“He kept my photo?” She whispered, sitting down.

“Yeah, I’ve um, still got it actually. I thought you looked familiar when I saw another picture but it was only taken a few years ago and you do look different.”

“Older you mean.” She teased and Sam shrugged.
“So what brings you here?” She asked and Sam sighed.

“It’s....complicated. I was on this hunt in California and I found this guy.” Sam really didn’t know how to break it to her. She gasped, a hand covering her mouth.

“Dean, my son. Please.....was it Dean.” She asked and Sam nodded. She slumped back in her chair and Sam got up, kneeling beside her.

“Do you need some water?” Sam asked and she nodded so he went into the kitchen and got her a glass, shooting Dean a small smile as he did so. He gave her the glass and hovered nearby until he was sure she wasn’t going to drop it.

“Where is he? Is he alive, hurt?” Mary pleaded and Sam sat back down.

“He’s.....alive and nearby.”

“Where? Why isn’t he here?”

“Please, there’s a lot I need to explain first and then if you want you can see him.” Sam told her and Mary realised, something was wrong. What had Sam been hunting?

“What were you hunting?” She whispered and Sam sighed again.

“Vampires. I’m sorry but by the time I found them Dean had already been bitten.” Sam told her and she went white. Sam moved back to her side, lifting her hand to check her pulse.
“Take it easy, deep breaths.” He soothed and she looked at him.

“Vampires....how are you alive? No hunter has ever....”

“No normal hunter. I uh, I’m sort of.....psychic. Gives me an edge. I got Dean to a cave and managed to get his first name off him before the change became bad enough he couldn’t speak. That was just over a year ago.” Sam told her gently and she stared at him.

“Dean’s a....” She trailed off and Sam nodded.

“I know this is hard but he really wants to see you. I swear, he’s never even tasted human blood. He eats animal blood and he’s got pretty good control over his strength and speed. I kept him in the forest until I was sure he’d be able to mostly blend in again.” Sam explained and Mary just stared at him, trying to take it all in. Her son was something she would have tried to kill in the years before he’d been born. Could she accept that? Sam seemed so sure Dean was still her Dean and how would Sam be okay around him if he did drink human blood?

“Is he here?” She asked and then she got up, going to stare out the window before heading for the kitchen, realising out back had the best cover. She opened the door and stepped outside.
“Dean?” She called shakily and then he was standing a few feet away. She stared at her son, taking in the changes becoming a vampire had made. He was pale and his beautiful green eyes were gone, but they weren’t red like what she knew from when she’d hunted.

“Mom.” Dean whispered shakily and then he held out a hand to her.
“Please.” She took a step closer and then she was running towards her baby boy, wrapping her arms around him and ignoring the chill of his skin and its hardness. She felt his arms come up around her and they just stood there in silence for a while. She moved back when the cold got too much and just stared at him before reaching up to touch his face.

“Oh Dean, I missed you so much.” She said and Dean leant into her touch, both ignoring Sam who was leaning against the door, just in case.

“I’m so sorry Mom. I don’t...I don’t even remember what happened, just that it hurt.” Dean admitted and she nodded.

“I’ve heard....that the change can affect your memories.” She said and Dean nodded.

“I know there are a lot of gaps but Sam’s been great at trying to help me remember the things I’ve forgotten.” Dean told her, smiling at Sam and Mary turned to him, walking over to hug the surprised teenager.

“Thank you.” She whispered and Sam nodded.
“Let’s go inside and talk. You’re staying?” She asked and Dean looked at Sam who sighed and Mary wilted.
“It’s too dangerous, isn’t it?” She asked and Sam nodded.

“If anyone saw Dean...”

“I know. You will keep in contact.” She demanded and both boys nodded as they followed her inside.
“Can I get you anything Sam?”

“No thank you.” They sat down in the living room and Dean looked around.

“All your stuff’s still in your room. You can take whatever you want.” Mary told her son and he nodded.

“Thanks.” Dean said, smiling at his mother.

“What will you do now?” She asked and Sam shrugged.

“Introduce Dean back into civilisation, slowly. Don’t want to push him to fast and risk an accident. We’ll probably just travel around. Send you lots of postcards of course.” Sam said and Mary nodded.

“Will you keep hunting?”

“I...I don’t know. Hunting’s the only life I’ve ever known. But Dean didn’t seem to know.....you left?” Sam asked and Mary nodded.

“My parents were killed shortly after I broke things off with John and then I got pregnant. I couldn’t risk my baby.” Mary said, looking at her son sadly. Despite everything he had still ended up being dragged into the supernatural....as one of them.

“Um....this is gonna sound nuts but with what you just said.....who is Dean’s father?” Sam asked, heart in his throat and Mary looked down.
“Oh shit.” He whispered and Dean looked at him in confusion.

“Sam?”

“Apparently Dad and your Mom were engaged for a while. Are you saying....Dean’s a Winchester?” Sam asked and Mary nodded.

“John left and I had no way to find him, to tell him he had a son. Obviously he moved on eventually, you don’t look that much younger than Dean.” She answered.

“Wait....you’re saying Sam is my brother?” Dean demanded and then he stared at Sam.

“Half brother.” Mary told him but Sam shook his head.

“I.....I’m not a Winchester by birth.” Sam admitted softly and they both stared at him.
“He was the only parent I ever knew though. When did Dad leave here?” Sam asked, staring at the floor.

“48. Dean was born on January 24th 49.” Mary said, smiling at her son who was still in shock.

“Well he came back on a hunt in May of 51. He found a woman, nearly dead, but she....she had been using her body as a shield for her baby. She begged him to take the baby and he did.” Sam said and Mary reached out to put a hand on his knee.

“You were the baby.” She said gently and Sam nodded. Dean reached out and took his hand, getting a small smile from Sam.

“Turned out my mum was the reason for the hunt, there were demons after her and they killed her. Dad got there in time to keep them from getting me. If my Mum had just given me to them....she would still be alive.”

“No Mother would hand her baby over to demons Sam.” Mary told him and he stared at her for a bit before slowly nodding.
“Why did they want you?” She asked and Sam stood up, walking over to the window, shifting nervously.

“Because......my Mom was a powerful psychic herself from Dad managed to learn and by birth Dad.......” Sam trailed off, unable to say it. Mary may no longer hunt but he doubted she was completely retired, there was no such thing.

“Sam you saved my son, whatever it is it will be alright.” Mary tried to reassure him and Sam shrugged.

“Half psychic, half demon. Most hunters don’t think it gets much worse than that.” He stated bitterly and Mary’s eyes went wide.

“Demon?”

“Yeah. The ones that killed my Mom worked for my Dad, she tried to run with me but they caught up. It’s why I can take on vampires and win, why Dean was never attracted to my blood. Most of the usual stuff doesn’t affect me either, holy water tickles a bit.” Sam admitted, refusing to look at them. Dean looked at his Mom, not sure what the big deal was. Mary sighed and then stood up, walked over to Sam and placed her hands on his shoulders, feeling him go rigid under her touch.

“You’re not your parents Sam. John raised you, you saved and protected my son, you’re a good man.” Mary told him and then she hugged him again and Sam slowly relaxed in her arms. Dean stood up and then hugged Sam once his Mom had let him go.
“Do you know why John became a hunter?” She finally asked and Sam shrugged.

“Not really, he didn’t talk about it. I think he saw something and went looking, met Uncle Bobby. He used to watch me when I was little and a hunt was too dangerous to take me along on.”

“How did John die?” Mary asked softly as they all sat back down, Dean clutching Sam’s hand.

“Going after a demon......my father. It killed him and Uncle Bobby and I saw it and I just got so mad. I woke up and the building was trashed and the guy the demon had been using was there, dead.”

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Are you sure you have to go so soon?” Mary asked as Sam put the last bag into the boot. He straightened up and smiled at her, hugging her. They’d been in town for a week, far longer than Sam had originally planned although he’d taken Dean out of town several times to hunt.

“I promise we’ll write all the time and you have the address for the post office I check every few months. We will come back and visit at least once a year too.” Sam said and she nodded, reaching up to ruffle his hair. He leant in to kiss her cheek even as Dean left the house with a small bag clutched in his hands; it had a few small things Mary had given him to remember the family by. Mary went to him, holding him close and Dean returned the hug being mindful of his strength.

“I love you Mom.” He whispered and she smiled.

“I love you too baby.” She told him and then moved away as Dean put the bag into the backseat.
“Drive carefully and be safe out there.”

“We will Mom.” Dean said as Sam closed the boot.

“Bye Ms. Campbell.” Sam said and then flushed at her mock glare.
“Bye Mom.” He changed it to. She’d been insisting all week that Sam call her Mom, after all if things had been a little different....

Mary watched as the two boys drove off, it was sad but at least now she knew her son was safe and alive, well as alive as a vampire could be. And she would see him again....or else she’d hunt them down herself.

TBC...