Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Title: Two Fingers of Whiskey
Author: Lady FoxFire
Pairing(s): None
Rating: PG13
Setting: Post Graduation
Warning: Not a Buffy friendly fic
Category(s): AU
Summary: Companion piece to my story ‘Blackmail Is Such A Dirty Word’ – What happened after the lawyer left having informed Giles and Joyce of Xander’s death and what they receive from his estate.
Disclaimer: If I owned the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series, Xander would have been the star but I don’t so we had to suffer with She Who Lays Vampires. Also I don’t own StarGate SG-1 even though we don’t see them in this fic, they are part of this series universe. And finally I don’t make any money from this fic and if I did the true owners of the universes I’m playing in would sue me for everything I own and don’t own.

Bad Author Notes: So many people just love my portray of Buffy in my fic that my Muse just demand to write a companion piece to the story. No Xander or SG-1 in this fic, sorry

Thanks to Aewnaur for letting me steal and modify one of my favorite lines from The Chronicles of Riddick: The Underverse. Also Thanks Vo for the 'A corpse is a corpse' saying. It fits perfectly




Giles kept himself busy cleaning his apartment as he tried to avoid the simple cardboard box sitting on the breakfast table. When the knock on the apartment door announced a visitor, Giles sighed with relief that he finally wouldn't be alone with it.

Opening the door to find Joyce Summers standing in his doorway, her eyes red from crying. Giles said. "Joyce."

"Rupert," she replied as she stepped into Giles' home.

Giles closed the door behind her, his back to her. "I'm assuming you had a visit from Mr. Cooper," he stared at the closed door.

"Yes," Joyce replied solemnly.

"Want a drink?" Giles turned to face the mother of his Slayer.

Joyce nodded her head, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "Please," she angrily wiped her eyes.

Silently walking into his kitchen, Giles poured two fingers of whiskey into couple of glasses. He handed one to Mrs. Summers before taking a sip from his glass.

"Is it true?" she asked before taking a sip from her glass.

Giles' eyes slid over to the table where cardboard box sat. "Yes."

Joyce's eyes followed Giles to the box. "Oh," she said before taking a gulp from the glass. Coughing as the liquid burned it's way down her throat, she said, "Is that… is that…"

"It is," Giles said before finishing his drink off in one gulp. "Another?" he asked with a nod toward Joyce's glass.

Joyce raised the glass to her lips and quickly finished off her drink. "Please," she held out her glass towards Giles.

A few moments later, Giles handed Joyce her glass back to her.

"He left me money," she took a sip from her glass as she stared at the box.

"And me," Giles replied.

Joyce took another sip of her drink. "What happened?"

Giles turned to looked at Joyce. "It was a car accident," he replied. "Maybe a deer or some animal on the road that he swerved to miss… and lost control."

"No," Joyce said with a shake of her head. "I mean… He didn't leave anything to Buffy or Willow. Nothing. What happened between them?"

"I don't know," Giles replied, "but I intend to find out."

Joyce nodded her head. "Xander gave me a book for safe keeping," she reached into her purse and pulled out a leather journal. "He said to give it to you if anything happened to him."

Setting his glass down, Giles took the book and started to read it. "Oh dear," Giles said as he turned a page."

"What is it?" Joyce demanded looking over Giles shoulder.

"It appears there is more going on in Sunnydale than we first thought and Xander was in the middle of it," Giles replied.

"How so?" Joyce said.

Giles shut the journal quickly. "Joyce… You need to return home. It's almost dusk, it would be best if you leave now."

"Rupert," Joyce growled.

Giles held up his hand in the universal sign to stop. "There are things I need to do. Tomorrow is Friday, come back after you're done with the gallery?"

Joyce's eyes narrowed. "I'll close early and I will have answers," she stated firmly.

Giles nodded his head. "We both will," he replied.