Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
Does no one like the latest chapter of Angelic Love? I’ve gotten something like 4 reviews for it.

Dean had to coax Sam into eating a full meal but he relaxed a bit when Sam finally finished. He then pulled Sam into his arms, holding him close as they sat in the empty room. Sam sighed, slowly relaxing in his arms and Dean leant down to kiss Sam’s forehead. Sam looked up at him and smiled ever so slightly.

“How do you feel?” Dean asked and Sam shrugged, closing his eyes to hide the black.
“Hey, come on Sammy, look at me.” Dean called and Sam slowly opened his eyes.

“How can you look at me?” Sam whispered and Dean smiled.

“Because you’re my Sam. This last year……a lot of mistakes were made, by both of us. No matter what happens Sam I will not abandon you. I love you.” Dean whispered because he knew Sam needed to hear it. He held Sam tight; making sure Sam couldn’t turn away. Sam sagged in his arms, finally cuddling closer to Dean.

“What if I hurt you?” Sam asked shakily and Dean kissed his lips.

“You won’t. Even at your most demonically feral all you’ve done is try to protect me. I trust you Sammy, it’ll be okay.” Dean assured him and Sam nodded, not sure he believed but willing to trust Dean. He yawned but fought it, he didn’t want to go to sleep, he was scared that when he woke up he’d be the way Dean had described, animal like, running on instinct.
“Tired?” Dean asked, concerned and Sam shook his head.

“I’m fine.”

“Right. So what, you were just stretching your jaw?” Dean asked and Sam looked away.

“I can’t sleep, I can’t. I don’t want to wake up and…..and be that.” Sam admitted and Dean nodded.

“But you can’t stay awake all the time either. You’ve been sleeping a lot for a reason. Sleep helps healing Sam, you know that. Maybe it’ll help you balance out too.” Dean offered and Sam shook his head, yawning again.
“I promise Sam, I won’t let anything happen to you.” Dean told him and Sam sighed but got to his feet. Dean let him lead the way back into the bedroom, watching as Sam clambered back onto the bed. He went to follow but Sam stopped him.
“What?”

“Fix the trap Dean.” Sam told him.

“You think we’ve been followed?” Dean asked and Sam shook his head.

“Fix it.” Sam said and Dean realised why he was insisting.

“We don’t need it Sammy, I told you, you won’t hurt me.” With that Dean got on the bed and pulled Sam into his arms, kissing him softly.
“Now get some sleep, I’ll still be here when you wake up.” Dean ordered and Sam sighed but settled down in Dean’s arms, his head over Dean’s heart, letting the steady beat slowly lull him to sleep.

When Dean woke up he found his arms empty and the other side of the bed cold. He shot upright and then blinked at the markings drawn on the walls; he didn’t recognise any of them. He relaxed when he saw Sam sitting on the floor, scribbling on the wall; at least he knew where all the writing had come from.

“Sammy?” He called out and Sam turned towards him, eyes still pitch black.
“Hey, watcha doing?” He asked, moving to sit on the edge of the bed and Sam stood up, walking towards him. His silence was all Dean needed to realise Sam wasn’t coherent. He stayed still and relaxed, not wanting to agitate Sam. He smiled at Sam as he came to a stop, holding out his hands to his little brother. Sam stepped between Dean’s legs slowly and Dean put his hands on Sam’s hips, leaving his legs still so Sam wouldn’t feel trapped. Sam cocked his head, just watching him and Dean smiled. Sam smiled back at him and Dean tugged him even closer, Sam letting him. He tugged again and Sam went down, moving so that he landed straddling Dean, who brought his legs together to make a seat for Sam. Sam just blinked; looking a little unsure and Dean reached up to cup Sam’s face, making Sam sigh and lean into his touch.
“Wish you could talk like this kiddo, would really like to know what you’ve been drawing.” Dean said but Sam just stared at him, not understanding what Dean had said. Dean lay back, pulling Sam with him and Sam smiled, kissing Dean awkwardly. Dean laughed and kissed Sam back, gently coaxing Sam into deepening the kiss. Sam responded eagerly and Dean scooted them back further onto the bed. He broke the kiss and pulled Sam into his arms fully. He felt Sam tense and kept still until Sam slowly relaxed, black eyes staring at him.
“Can you try to talk Sammy? Do you understand anything I’m saying?” Dean whispered but he could tell Sam didn’t understand anything except his own name.
“Sam.” Dean said and he smiled as Sam’s focus narrowed to him only. Yep, the kid definitely knew his own name still, that was good, but even a pet bird could be taught to answer to its name.
“Dean.” Dean told him, taking Sam’s hand and placing it on his own chest.
“I’m Dean; can you try to say it?” He asked and Sam frowned. Dean sighed and reached out to gently stroke his fingers through Sam’s hair, making Sam practically pur.
“Its okay, guess you’re not ready to try something like that yet.” Dean told him and Sam shifted around. Dean loosened his grip to see what he’d do and was amused when Sam changed their positions so that he was the one holding Dean. Obviously the demon in him saw itself as the more powerful and therefore the protector. Sam began petting his hair in return and Dean smiled but let him, he figured fighting Sam over it would just upset the kid and risk all the rage Cas said Sam held now being aimed at him. He honestly didn’t think Sam would ever hurt him but accidents did happen. Besides Sam’s hand in his hair felt very nice, nice enough that Dean found himself drifting off to sleep again.

Sam stared at the man sleeping in his arms, he knew this one was his to protect. The glowing thing from before was gone and he had made sure they were safe. His human hade made a lot of funny noises when awake, he didn’t know what they were but he knew Sam and Sammy were for him. He hugged his human close, closing his eyes to fight down the rage that screamed at him to go out and kill; he would not leave him alone. They could go when he woke up. He needed to do something to let the rage out and soon but he wouldn’t hurt this one, he’d never hurt this human. He suddenly looked over and snarled at the doorway, sensing the glowing thing again. It stopped as it hit what he’d drawn and he felt a flash of satisfaction, he was protecting his human from everything and anything.

Castiel stopped as he ran into some sort of ward in the doorway. He looked into the room and saw Sam awake on the bed, snarling softly at him and Dean asleep beside him. Sam moved to crouch, his body firmly between Castiel and Dean. Castiel just stared at the demon, searching the black eyes for anything of Sam. All he saw was an animal, scared but willing to fight him to protect Dean. But Sam had reacted when Dean talked to him last time….

“Sam? It is alright, I’m not here to hurt you. It’s Castiel, do you remember me?” Castile called softly, pulling his Grace back, something that was getting easier to do since he’d died; his connection to Heaven was all but gone after all. He had to be careful of how much power he used now since it wouldn’t automatically replenish. Sam had at least paused in his snaring when Castiel had called his name; hopefully that was a good sign. Castiel looked around the walls of the room and saw all the symbols drawn, realising that those were what were keeping him out of the room.
“Sam can you understand me?” Castiel called again and Sam slowly got off the bed, moving a few steps closer to him, head tilted curiously.

Sam moved cautiously towards the glowing thing but it wasn’t glowing much anymore. He was glad, the glow hurt! But it kept saying Sam, just like his human did. Sam growled, scared that this thing would try to hurt his human, but it stayed where it was. It kept calling him and he tried to understand what it wanted. Why wasn’t it attacking or running?

“It’s alright Sam; I won’t hurt you or Dean.” Castiel called out again and Sam took another step towards him, obviously confused. And Castiel realised why, fight or flight instinct. He couldn’t understand why Castiel was not attacking or fleeing. There had to be some way to reach Sam’s rational mind but how?

“Sammy?” A groggy voice called and Sam turned to the bed. Dean sat up to see Sam hovering uncertainly between the bed and the door where Castiel was standing.
“Cas? What’s going on?” Dean asked as he slid off the bed, walking over to join Sam who made sure Dean was protected by his body.

“The symbols Sam has drawn on the walls are keeping me out of the room. Though he has stopped snarling at me. I believe he is confused by my actions as I keep talking to him instead of either attacking or leaving.” Castiel explained and Dean pulled Sam into his arms, nuzzling at his neck, smiling when Sam relaxed a bit in his arms.

“You hiding your Grace?” Dean asked and Castiel nodded.
“Okay, let’s try to get Sam closer, show him you’re not here to hurt anyone.” Dean said, gently tugging at Sam to get him to move.
“It’s okay Sammy, Cas is a friend.” Dean assured Sam who took a small step towards the angel.
“That’s it, its okay.” Dean kept up the soothing talk, frequently saying Sam’s name, as they slowly made their way closer to the angel. But Sam stopped in the doorway, obviously where the protections he’d put up ended.
“Back up a bit Cas.” The angel obeyed and Dean faced Sam, cupping his face in his hands.
“I know you aren’t really understanding anything I say Sammy but you know I’d never let anyone hurt you. I know you know that.” Dean smiled when Sam leant into his touch, rubbing his cheek against Dean’s hand.
“That’s it Sammy, it’s okay.” Dean whispered taking that last step and Sam followed him before he realised what he’d done. Sam froze and then snarled at Castiel and both men could feel the demonic power coming from Sam. Dean grabbed him and did the one thing he could think of to calm Sam down, he kissed him. Sam struggled a bit but Dean clung to him, kissing him until Sam finally started returning the kiss.

And the whole time Dean was moving backwards, moving them closer to Castiel who couldn’t help watching them. The poor angle really didn’t know what to think of their relationship. Heaven had been aware of it when they had sent the Garrison to rescue Dean from hell but when Dean and Sam hadn’t done anything more than hug on their reunion it was believed that the stay in hell had made Dean afraid of the consequences of continuing their relationship. Castiel had seen the hurt and pain in Dean’s eyes when he had realised Sam was sleeping with the demon Ruby and had known then….nothing had changed Dean’s feelings for his brother. Everything he knew as an angel said to stop them, that what they were doing was wrong…..but did he have the right anymore? He had disobeyed for Dean, he was Falling because of the Winchesters was that any better than what they had together? He stayed still as the two stopped only a few streps from him and Dean broke the kiss but stayed with his arms around Sam who stared at Castiel with wide black eyes and Castiel could see Sam’s fear in them, despite the colour.

“Easy Sammy, you know I won’t let anyone hurt you.” Dean whispered gently and Sam’s eyes locked on him. Sam made a little noise, the first noise other than snarls or growls he’d made and Dean took it as a good sign, especially since the noise sounded questioning.
“Cas don’t move.” Dean whispered and then he tugged at Sam’s hand, raising it closer to the angel who tensed a little but did as asked. Sam tried to pull his hand out of Dean’s grip and while demons were stronger than humans Sam was restricted by his need to protect and not hurt Dean. It was only because Sam wasn’t truly fighting him that Dean managed to place Sam’s hand on Castiel’s shoulder. Sam froze, eyes wide and breathe coming in frightened gasps, but Castiel stayed still.

“I will not hurt you or Dean, Sam.” Castiel stated quietly and Sam frowned but then bit his lip, staring at Castiel’s face. Dean slowly let go of Sam’s hand and was happy when Sam didn’t remove his from Cas’ shoulder. Instead Sam slowly raised it to touch Castiel’s face, tracing his features. Sam looked at Dean and then back at Cas and relaxed.
“Sam?” Castiel whispered and Sam smiled at him.

“I think, maybe he recognises you?” Dean said and Castiel nodded. He smiled at Sam who smiled happily back and then grabbed Castiel’s hand, dragging him to the bedroom.
“Sam?” Dean questioned but followed, seeing Castiel brace himself as they reached the doorway but to their surprise he easily walked into the bedroom.
“Huh. Didn’t they stop you before?”

“Yes, perhaps because Sam was the one to bring me inside?”

“Sounds good to me.” Dean answered as Sam pushed Castiel down onto the bed and then dragged Dean over too. Dean sat on the bed and Sam smiled again, getting onto the bed in-between them and then he curled up.

TBC…