Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

No one was around to se the flash of blue lightning slam into the ground and if they had been they would have been in for a shock. Lying at the bottom of the crater was a curled, naked body. It lay still for a few seconds and then started shaking as if cold; it slowly uncurled and then staggered to its knees. Shaggy brown hair fell across the face before being shakily shoved back. Terrified hazel eyes stared wildly around before their owner lurched to his feet. He stumbled to the edge of the crater and then scrambled out; ignoring the way the still smoking ground burnt his hands. He stared around, seeing nothing but wide open grass lands so he just started walking, his movements becoming stronger and surer the longer he moved, as if his body was remembering something it had almost forgotten.

His mind was another matter, half formed thoughts and memories swirling around chaotically as he walked. He didn’t even know his own name, though at the moment he didn’t even know what a name was. Then again he didn’t even remember how to speak either. He just kept walking in a relatively straight line through the grass, shivering despite the heat even as his skin began to go red from the hot sun beating down on him. He paused when he came to a break in the grass and stared at the black line breaking through it, looking fearfully around before taking a hesitant step onto it. Hands flew to his head as a sharp pain lanced through it and then he stared down at the hot surface beneath his feet. Road…..it was a road, he knew what it was. His lips curled in a smile automatically and he started walking down the road in a completely random direction. As he walked other things slowly began to make sense in his mind, that was a tree and over there a fence, a cow…..but while he was able to recognise objects that was it.

Several hours later he staggered up to a building, staring at it with wide eyes until he slowly came to recognise what it was. He was sunburnt and dehydrated as he stumbled to the door, reaching out to knock but there was no one there. He looked around and slowly recognised the pumps in the cleared area, it was a gas station. He picked up a rock and smashed it into the glass, reaching in to open the door. He looked around, trying to make sense of what he could see, moaning in pain at the overload of new things. He stared around wildly, automatically knowing what his body needed and he wobbled to the….fridge, yanking it open he pulled out water and drank it, only to throw up as his stomach rebelled. He gasped for air before slowly bringing himself under control. This time he forced himself to drink slowly and the water stayed down.

He walked around in a daze as he began to recognise some of the objects. He found a…..blanket and wrapped it around himself for warmth as eh looked around. He came to a…….glass…..mirror! And stared into it, knowing that he was looking at himself. Giving up on staring after a while he went back to looking around. He picked up a magazine and stared at it, smiling as slowly the blurs formed into words although he couldn’t understand them all he did know some of them. And the numbers……5/2/2008….a date! It was the date but something about it felt…..off. He went behind the counter and looked around. He hesitantly reached out and then picked up the….phone. He stared at it blankly before hesitantly pushing several of the numbers.

“We’re sorry but the number you have dialled is no longer in service.” He slammed it down, breathing heavily, as he stared at it. He took a deep breath and then picked it up again, staring at the numbers before finally pushing some more. He held it shakily to his ear, not knowing what he was waiting for.

“Hello?” He nearly dropped the phone but just managed to keep a grip on it.
“Who is this? If you don’t answer I’m hanging up.” He struggled to understand but he knew he had to do something. He swallowed and then opened his mouth.

“H…he…help.” He managed to rasp out.

“Help? Okay just take it easy. Are you hurt? Can you tell me where you are?” the gruff voice became gentler and he relaxed his grip on the phone a little in response.

“Pl…..plea………”

“Its okay, stay on the phone, I’m gonna find you. Try to keep talking kid.” The gruff voice called and he groaned, free hand going to his head as the sound echoed in his head. He knew this voice! He tried to make sense of it but he couldn’t.

“C…ca’t…member.” He stuttered out brokenly.

“Cat member?” the voice sounded as confused as he felt.
“Wait…..you can’t remember?” it tried and he smiled, happy it had understood.
“Okay, that’s okay. I’m gonna get you help. Just got to trace the call and…..got it, you’re not far from here. Are you hurt?”

“H..hur.” He tried to copy, understand what was being said, but it was too much.

“Its okay kid, you can hang up the phone now, I know where you are.” He stared at the phone when it made a funny noise and then put it down. Scared and unsure now the voice was gone he sat, huddled in the corner behind the counter.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````
Bobby Singer pulled into the closed garage, instantly taking in the broken glass in the door and the lack of cars. The call had been bugging him the whole way, how had this person rung him and why did the voice sound so familiar? He knew it wasn’t Dean, sounded too young and soft for the kid. So while he was ready to offer help he was also armed and ready for anything supernatural, just in case it was a trap. He got out of his truck, grabbed his bag that held medical supplies and hunting equipment and headed for the door, pushing it open.

“Hello? Kid you here? It’s okay, I’m here to help.” He called out gently and was answered by a whimper. Looking around he saw the spilled water, the evidence someone had been sick and the moved magazines. Seeing the phone on the counter he walked over and looked over the counter to see a figure huddled on the floor. He moved around slowly until he was crouched nearby. Something about the kid……
“Hey, it’s okay. Come on out, I ain’t gonna hurt you.” He called and a head of shaggy brown hair lifted to reveal very familiar features. He froze in horror as he stared at someone who had been dead for a year. His hand went to his gun as terrified hazel stared at him; now he knew why the kid’s voice had sounded familiar.
“Stop it. I don’t know what you are but you stop it right now.” He demanded and the thing pretending to be Sam whimpered in fear, trying to move further away from him. He ignored the pain seeing Sam so scared caused him, Sam was dead, had been for a year. Hell he’d helped salt and burn the kids body.
“Sam’s dead, you’re not him so just stop it.” He snarled and hazel rolled back, the body going limp. Bobby just stared in surprise before reaching forward to check for a pulse, finding it far too rapid. Great, he’d scared the thing into passing out. He sighed but removed his hand from his gun and pulled the limp body out from behind the counter. He studied the body and it sure looked like Sam, right down to the scar he’d stitched for the kid when he was a teen. Hands shaking in rage and grief he opened his bag and pulled out the holy water, spilling some on the still face but there was no reaction so he got out a silver knife and made a small cut, still nothing.

Half an hour later he’d run through all the tests he knew and they were all negative. Everything he knew said the body before him was really Sam Winchester. But how? He’d seen Sam die in Dean’s arms, heard the older brother’s anguished screams for Sam to wake up. He’d been there for three days while Dean had refused to bury or burn Sam and then had finally given in. He’d been the one to gather the wood while Dean had gently wrapped the body. So how could this be Sam? He studied him and then frowned as he noticed the blood on the floor. He moved around the unconscious body and lifted a foot, finding it bloody and burnt. He winced at the thought of trying to walk with feet like those and then realised, that was exactly what the kid had done. Who knew how far he’d walked barefoot and on such a hot day, no wonder his skin was red and hot to the touch. Bobby gently poured water over the feet, cleaning them up as much as he could before gently bandaging them. He found some towels in the bathroom and soaked them before laying them on the red skin and Sam moaned.

“Sam? Can you hear me?” Bobby called and hazel eyes slowly opened. Sam whimpered in pain and fear and Bobby reached down to gently brush Sam’s hair out of his face.
“It’s okay Sam, it’s me. It’s Bobby, don’t you recognise me?” He asked, Sam had sounded so broken on the phone, so confused……and he hadn’t seemed to know who he was talking to. Was it true that Sam didn’t remember him?
“Come on kid, give me something.” He pleaded and Sam’s arm came up shakily to touch Bobby’s face, Sam’s features drawn in a confused frown. Bobby held still, not wanting to startle the kid as hesitant fingers traced his features.

“B…B….Bo.” Sam stuttered and Bobby smiled.

“Yeah Sam, its Bobby.” He whispered, trying not to let the tears fall. He reached out and gently pulled Sam up so that the kid was resting against him. Sam whimpered but otherwise didn’t react to the movement.
“Guess that sunburn’s starting to really hurt. Need to get you out of here and back home. I’ll be back in a second, just need to get you some clothes from the truck.” Bobby told him, not knowing how much Sam was understanding. He got up and Sam watched him, calling out when Bobby moved further away.

“S…Sta…” Sam called out and Bobby took his cap off, running a hand through his hair. He knelt beside Sam and then dropped his cap on Sam’s head. Startled hazel eyes stared up at him before Sam smiled lopsidedly at him. One hand came up to touch the cap in awe.

“You watch that for me Sam, I’ll be right back.” Bobby told him and Sam frowned before nodding slightly and Bobby felt a flash of hope that Sam may have understood him. He hurried out to the truck and dug around the back, gathering some loose clothing. He knew none of it would fit Sam properly, the kid was too tall, but it was better than nothing. He got back inside to find Sam clutching at his baseball cap to his chest, knees drawn up to his chest as he lay on his side.
“Hey Sam, got you some clothes.” Bobby told him and Sam looked up at him. Bobby knelt beside him and held out the shirt. Sam just looked at before looking up at Bobby, lost.
“Okay, its okay, I’ll help you. Can you sit up?” He asked and Sam frowned but slowly began trying to sit up and Bobby felt relief that Sam had understood that. He pulled the shirt down over Sam’s head and then helped him get his arms through the holes. The pants were harder and he had to be very careful of Sam’s feet but he managed to get him dressed. Sam pulled at the t-shirt curiously before looking up at Bobby and holding his hat out to him.

“B…Bobby.” Sam said and Bobby smiled, taking his hat back and reaching out to ruffle Sam’s hair, getting a smile.
“Bobby hunt.” Sam said and Bobby frowned, not understanding.

“Not hunting at the moment. Need to get you back to my place. Think you can stand?” He asked, not wanting Sam to walk on his feet but there was no way Bobby could carry him. So far Sam hadn’t asked for Dean and that scared him a little. He’d have to call Dean but he’d wait until he had Sam settled, probably better if the kid didn’t have too many more shocks till he’d slept for a while. He reached out and wrapped his arms around Sam, helping him to his feet. Sam whimpered but otherwise didn’t react and Bobby gently guided him out to his truck. Sam stopped and stared at it and then looked at him.

“Tr…truck?” Sam asked, seeming unsure and Bobby nodded, tears caught in his throat.

“Yeah Sam, it’s a truck.” He said and Sam smiled. Bobby helped Sam up into the passenger seat and made sure his belt was secure. Sam looked around as Bobby got in as well and started the engine. That made Sam start slightly but then he relaxed and began to point out various things as Bobby drove. It seemed that Sam was beginning to recall some things though his speech was hesitant. Bobby pointed out things when Sam didn’t seem to remember what they were. It didn’t take long to get back to Bobby’s and then he helped Sam inside and over to the couch. He didn’t want to make Sam go up the stairs given the condition of his feet so he got some blankets and a pillow and made him up a bed, happy he had such a long couch. He helped Sam lay down on it and then sat down in another seat with a book since Sam seemed to like knowing where he was. Ten minutes later the kid was out like a light.

````````````````````````````````````
Dean got out of the Impala and looked at Bobby’s place; it hadn’t changed at all in the last ten months for which he was grateful. He knew it had been terrible of him, not coming to see Bobby, but it hurt. He sighed and grabbed his bag before heading for the porch. He didn’t know what Bobby needed but he hadn’t been able to say no when the older hunter had rung and asked him to come. He went to knock but the door opened and Bobby joined him on the porch.

“What’s going on?” Dean asked and Bobby sighed.

“Dean I… this isn’t exactly easy.” Bobby started and Dean tensed. Was something wrong?

“Bobby are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Look, this isn’t easy. Got a call yesterday from a gas station about two hours away. Sounded like a kid in trouble so I headed out to help. Found him naked except for a blanket from the station, feet torn up and badly sunburned. He could barely talk and has some sort of partial amnesia…………Dean it’s……it’s Sam. I don’t know how or why but it is him. I tested for everything and he’s human.” Bobby explained as gently as he could and Dean glared at him shaking his head in denial.

“Sam’s dead Bobby! You were there, you saw…..” Dean trailed off and Bobby nodded.

“I know, I also know that the scared kid in there is Sam. Did some digging around, found there’s a weird crater, almost like from a lightning strike, in a field….it’d explain why his feet are torn up. Dean I tested him, it is Sam. But…..”

“But?” Dean pressed, hands shaking.

“I don’t know if he remembers you. He hasn’t asked for you. I don’t think he recognised me at first either. He could barely talk at first, it’s like he’d forgotten how to or something but he’s getting better at it. He’s managing a few short sentences now. Dean don’t go barging in, he’s still terrified.” Bobby said and Dean shoved past him, into the house.

Dean looked around, searching for his brother. He wanted so badly for it to be Sam but he knew it was impossible, he’d watched his brother’s body burn. But what could fool Bobby. A soft noise had him turn to the door into the hallway and there was Sam, clinging to the wall for support.

“Sam?” Dean called softly, heart in his throat. He wanted to run to him, hold him but he was scared that if he moved Sam would vanish. Looking at him, he felt the anger drain away, it was Sam. He didn’t know how he knew he just knew, he’d always know Sam. Wide hazel eyes stared at him fearfully before dropping down a little. Sam’s mouth opened and then shut and he staggered into the room. Dean looked down and saw the bandages wrapped around Sam’s feet, he must be in agony walking and yet he was moving closer to Dean.
“Sam? Is it really you?” Dean pleaded and then Sam nearly fell into him. Dean reached out to support him and Sam’s hand moved up to wrap around Dean’s amulet. Sam stared at it before looking up to see Dean’s face. Sam frowned in confusion before it slowly cleared and Sam smiled.
“Sammy?” Dean whispered and suddenly Sam’s arms were around him.

“Dean.” Sam whispered and Dean wrapped his arms around Sam, holding him close as Sam clung to him.

“Yeah Sammy, I’m here, I’ve got you.” Dean whispered as Sam leant more of his weight on him. Dean managed to get them over to the couch and sat down awkwardly with Sam clinging to him. He just held Sam, glad it seemed that his brother did remember him. He looked over to see Bobby standing in the front door, smiling slightly at them.

“I’ll go get some food. I managed to get some soup into him last night but he’s got to be starving. I think he knew you were coming, he hasn’t settled all day.” Bobby told him as he walked past them towards the kitchen. Dean sighed and then shifted, moving Sam around a bit so that he was cradling Sam in his arms. Sam smiled up at him, one hand on Dean’s amulet.

“I missed you so much Sammy.” Dean told him and Sam frowned.

“Gone?” Sam asked and then his eyes widened.
“Andy Gone Dean.” Sam said and Dean stared at him.

“Andy? You mean mind trick Andy?” Dean asked but Sam didn’t answer. Bobby walked back in with a mug of soup and a plate of toast.

“Figured its safer sticking to the easy to eat stuff until we know more.” Bobby told him and Dean nodded, taking the mug.

“You hungry Sammy?” Dean asked and Sam nodded, his stomach growling and Dean laughed, making Sam smile. Dean watched as Sam sat up, one hand hovering at Sam’s back in case he needed help but Sam managed. He offered the mug to Sam but he didn’t try to take it so Dean held it to his lips, happy when Sam started to drink.
“Slowly Sam, don’t want to make yourself sick.” Dean told him, happy that Sam did as told.

“He seems to be understanding a lot more of what we say. Maybe however he came back just messed things up a little in his head and it’s taken time for it to settle.” Bobby offered and Dean nodded.

“Dean sad?” Sam asked curiously and Dean smiled at him.

“No, I’m happy Sammy. I’m so happy you’re back.” Dean told him and Sam smiled at him before going back to drinking the soup.

“Think we should try and get him upstairs? Bed’s more comfortable than the couch. I didn’t want to try on my own with his feet like this.” Bobby said and Dean nodded.

“Got a chair we could stick in the shower? He’ll probably feel better after that.”

“Sure, I’ll get set everything up.” Bobby told him, handing over the plate before heading upstairs.

“Where Bobby….go?” Sam asked and Dean smiled at the most complete sentence he’d heard from Sam.

“Upstairs to set things up for us. You could use a shower kiddo.” Dean told him and Sam nodded.

“Shower. Water. Clean.” Sam said and Dean nodded. He handed a piece of toast to Sam once the soup was finished and Sam stared at it before taking it and raising it to his mouth. Dean grinned as Sam ate it unaided, even reaching out to take another piece himself. He hoped Bobby was right, that Sam was just a bit messed up from being brought back and that he’d get back to normal. No matter what he was glad to have Sam back, he just wanted all of him back. Who’d have thought he’d miss Sam and his long explanations of things but he did. It wasn’t right that Sam was reduced to simple words.

“Missed you so much Sam. Love you.” Dean whispered and Sam smiled, reaching out to touch Dean’s face.

“Missed. Love Dean.” Sam said and Dean smiled, ignoring the tears he could feel in his eyes but Sam saw them.
“No cry. No….no chick” Sam frowned and Dean managed a choked laugh.

“No chick-flicks?” He clarified and Sam nodded. Sam slid across the couch and then clambered onto Dean’s lap, straddling him and Dean just watched him. Sam smiled again and then lent in, brushing his lips against Dean’s. Dean felt some of his worry’s melt away at the gentle contact. He’d been scared Sam wouldn’t remember but obviously he did to be initiating a kiss. Dean carefully moved his hands so that one was cupping the back on Sam’s head, fingers curling in Sam’s hair and the other went around Sam’s waist. Sam leant further in against him and kissed Dean again, more surely. Dean responded but didn’t push, not wanting to startle Sam. They parted and Sam grinned, dimples showing. It was the type of smile Dean hadn’t seen since before their Dad had died. That made Dean freeze, did Sam remember their Dad’s death? Did Sam remember his own? Dean tugged Sam’s head down to rest on his shoulder and just held him, smiling when Sam relaxed into his arms. Sam wrapped his arms around Dean and just held on tightly.
“It’s okay Sammy, it’s going to be okay.” Dean whispered.

“Everything’s ready.” Bobby called as he walked down the stairs, stopping when he caught sight of them. He smiled at them, happy to see Dean looking more alive than he had the last time he’d seen the boy. Sure they’d hidden it but Bobby wasn’t an idiot, he knew they were a lot closer than brothers should be but he’d never said anything to them. He wasn’t going to say anything against them finding what happiness they could, even if most people would say it was wrong. So seeing Sam back in Dean’s arms like that…..it was a relief. Dean looked up at him and he could see his fear that Bobby would kick them out so he just smiled at the kid and nodded. Dean stared at him before smiling back and then gently nudging Sam back.

“Come on Sammy, let’s get you upstairs.” Dean said and Bobby walked over to help. Between them they managed to get Sam upstairs without putting too much pressure on his feet. Bobby helped get Sam into the bathroom and then left them too it. Dean helped Sam strip off and then sat him on the stool in the shower before stripping off himself. To his surprise he found himself blushing slightly as Sam stared at him, despite how many times he’d been naked in front of Sam before, this felt different. Sam reached out to trace the scar made by a bullet that had been meant for Sam but Dean had pushed him out of the way. Sam frowned as he touched it and Dean took his hand, making Sam look up at him. He smiled at Sam, ruffling his hair and Sam laughed. Sam flinched a little when the water hit him but then smiled and even splashed at Dean. Dean laughed and splashed back as he washed Sam, massaging his scalp as he worked the shampoo in. Sam sighed and relaxed into the massage.
“You like that huh? Bet it feels good.” Dean said and Sam nodded lazily. Dean smiled and continued to wash Sam before nearly jumping when Sam leant forward to rest his head against Dean’s stomach.
“Sleepy?”

“Sleepy.” Sam answered.

“Almost finished, then we can get some sleep.” Dean told him, rinsing the soap of them both and then turning the water off. He got the towels and wrapped one around Sam’s shoulders while he dried his hair with another. Sam picked at the towel and then began rubbing it over his skin, looking up at Dean for approval.
“Good job kiddo.” Dean praised and Sam grinned. Once Sam was dried Dean unwrapped his feet and froze, staring at the torn skin in horror.
“Bet this hurts.” He whispered and Sam nodded. Dean gently cleaned them up and then re-bandaged them.
“All done.” Dean told him and then gently helped Sam up. He winced at the pain in his feet but hobbled into the bedroom with Dean’s help. Dean got him on the bed and Sam relaxed.

“Dean naked.” Sam stated and Dean laughed.

“Yeah, I am. Forgot to take clothes in for me.” Dean told him, going to get some but Sam grabbed his arm.
“Sammy?”

“Stay please.” Sam pleaded, looking scared and Dean moved his arm in Sam’s grip so that he could thread his fingers through Sam’s.

“I’m not going anywhere Sam. I just need to get clothes from my bag. See?” Dean said, pointing at the bag. Sam frowned but slowly let go. Dean grabbed a t-shirt and boxers, slipped them on and then went back to the bed. He got in beside Sam and tugged Sam closer. Sam cuddled in to Dean’s side, his head on Dean’s chest, over his heart.
“Get some sleep Sammy.” Dean whispered, running his fingers through Sam’s still damp hair. Sam gradually drifted off to sleep and Dean soon followed.

TBC…