Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dean held Sam as the kid whimpered and moaned in his sleep. He wished there was something else he could do for him but what? Sam needed to sleep, it seemed to help him get better but the nightmares weren’t fair. He kissed the top of Sam’s head, whispering softly to try and break him from the nightmare, relieved when it seemed to work and Sam slipped into a deeper, dreamless sleep. He stayed as he was for an hour to be sure and then shifted them around a bit so he was lying down as well. He held Sam close as he drifted off to sleep.

When Bobby checked on them he smiled to see them curled up together, fast asleep. He hated hearing Sam cries at night and had been researching for some way to help him but he’d found nothing other than some really, really black magic that would probably end up wiping everything from Sam, not just the nightmares. He knew the brothers, while Dean would do anything to help Sam having the kid not remember him would kill Dean and Sam would never agree to anything that would lead to him forgetting Dean, Bobby, Jess and John. Not to mention the price for the spell, the casters soul sent to hell upon death. He closed the door softly and headed back to his own room to sleep. Helping Sam readjust to being alive was tiring them all out but it was worth it to see the kids smile at each other, to hear Sam tease Dean even if the words were still broken.

`````````````````````````````
Sam woke up first and tensed automatically before feeling Dean’s arms wrapped securely around him. He shifted slightly, burrowing even closer to his big brother, seeking the assurance that he was really back. He knew Dean wanted to know what had happened to him but even Sam wasn’t totally sure, he didn’t really remember anything between Jake killing him and then being in the store and calling Bobby for help. But he still had feelings of fear and pain, the longing for Dean, the knowledge that wherever he’d been it hadn’t been nice. Bobby and Dean were both sure that he was remembering in his nightmares and Sam was scared that he’d be able to remember when awake eventually. He knew Dean didn’t want to even think it but Sam wouldn’t be surprised to find he’d been in hell. He knew what he was; he didn’t deserve Heaven, not like Dean or Jess did.

Sam forced those thoughts aside and rolled over, ignoring the twinge from his feet as he did. His head felt clearer than it had since he’d come back and he was pretty sure he remembered his whole life now which was good. He was too nervous to try talking yet, he hated the way what he wanted to say came out broken most of the time and he didn’t want to wake Dean. He knew Dean was staying awake to try and help with his nightmares and it was taking a toll on him. Besides it was nice to just watch Dean sleeping peacefully. It wasn’t something he got to do much and Dean always looked so much younger and carefree when he was deeply asleep. Sam smiled and reached out to touch Dean’s cheek, smile widening when Dean leant into his touch even asleep. Watching him and seeing the sun had been up for a while Sam smiled. He couldn’t take Dean’s pain away but he could give him a good morning.

Sam moved in and gently kissed Dean’s lips, happy that still asleep Dean responded to the gentle pressure. He stayed there for a while before beginning to work his way down Dean’s neck. To protect his injured feet he shifted so they were off the bed so he couldn’t rub or hit them on anything. He made his way down Dean’s neck, kissing the tender skin as he went. Dean was starting to respond although he was still asleep. Sam gently pushed Dean’s t-shirt up once he was done with his neck and began his work on Dean’s chest. Dean moaned, his fists bunching in the sheets as his body tensed up and relaxed from the pleasure. Sam moved on, his hands slipping into Dean’s underwear to push it down. He smirked and then closed his mouth around his target. He heard Dean gasp, his hips arching a bit but Sam used a hand to hold them in place.

“Sammy?” Dean called and Sam looked up his body to see Dean staring down at him, green eyes wide with shock. Sam reached up and grabbed Dean’s hand, holding it as he continued his ‘work’.
“Sam……oh please….Sammy…” Dean mumbled and Sam smiled, happy to be helping Dean. It didn’t take long for Dean to come completely undone and then he was panting and tugging at Sam with the hand Sam was gripping. Sam made his way back up Dean’s body and Dean stared at him in shock and awe. Sam grinned and kissed him before hugging him, tugging Dean in so his head rested over Sam’s heart.

“Feel better?” Sam whispered and Dean laughed but nodded.

“You didn’t have t do that Sam.”

“I wanted to, love you Dean.” Sam answered, kissing the top of Dean’s head and Dean rolled over to look at him again.

“Love you too Sammy.” Dean answered, reaching up to trace Sam’s face and Sam smiled at him, kissing Dean’s fingers, making Dean smile again.

“What?” Sam asked curiously as Dean leant in to kiss him.

“Sam you’re…you’re really back now? You’re okay?” Dean asked shakily and Sam smiled, reaching out to gently cup Dean’s face.

“I’m here Dean, I’m okay now. I….I think it’s all back, guess we won’t really know unless we try and go over my entire life or something.” Sam admitted and Dean just stared at him. He couldn’t believe it; Sam was really, fully back now. Hearing Sam talk, without skipping or breaking up words, he hadn’t dared hope it would happen.
“Dean?” Sam called, worried and Dean wrapped his arms around him, hugging him tightly. Sam was surprised when he felt hot tears soak into his shirt but then he looked at it from Dean’s side. He’d been without Sam for how long? Sam couldn’t remember anyone actually telling him how long he’d been dead for. And wasn’t that just a weird thought? Anyway, Dean had been alone and then Bobby had called and Sam was back but…he could remember seeing Dean and not knowing who he was. He’d been scared as he stared at the man in the room but then he’d caught the gleam of Dean’s amulet and had staggered forward. It hadn’t been until he’d been in Dean’s arms, clutching the amulet that he had realised he knew him. The look on Dean’s face when he’d said his name, such relief, hope and love…….he knew Dean would have stuck by him even is Sam had never moved beyond that stage.
“It’s okay Dean, I’m here. I’m not leaving you ever again, I love you.” Sam whispered tenderly, cradling Dean close as his brother cried silently. Dean eventually pulled back, wiping angrily at his eyes. Sam just smiled at him and Dean looked away.
“It’s okay Dean, I have no idea what you’ve been through since I…I don’t even know how long it’s been and I’m so sorry for leaving you. I never wanted to.” Sam told him and Dean looked back at him, eyes wide.

“You don’t know…..a year, you were dead for a year Sam.” Dean admitted softly and Sam nodded, that made sense since other than the changes caused by grief and exhaustion Dean didn’t really look any different.

“I….I think, it feels like longer.” Sam admitted softly and Dean pulled him into his arms.

“What do you remember?” Dean asked hesitantly and Sam sighed, taking Dean’s hand in his to help remind himself it was over. Dean squeezed his hand and Sam smiled.

“I remember the diner and then waking up in Cold Oak, finding the others, Lily died first, then Andy and then Jake killed Ava. She had been the one to kill Lily and Andy. I tried to convince Jake we didn’t have to fight but he attacked me, eventually knocked him out and then I heard you. You came running in and…..I was just so relieved you were alive and happy you’d found me. I shouldn’t have turned my back on him but all I wanted was to get to you. Then there was the white hot sharp pain in my back. I heard you screaming but I couldn’t talk, could barely breath, felt you catch me, sort of. I could hear you but it was like being underwater. Tried so hard to tell you it was okay, that I loved you but I couldn’t. After that…..nothing, just…feelings and impressions really. I don’t even really remember getting to the gas station but I know I walked there from somewhere. Everything was all jumbled up, looking back I know it was your number I called first, the message kind of scared me. Then I called Bobby but I didn’t know who he was, I just knew he could help me. Even after he was there I didn’t recognise him for a while. After that things started clearing but after you came it sped up.” Sam explained, shaking slightly in Dean’s arms.
“I….wherever I was, I don’t think it was good Dean and that scares me so much.” He whispered and Dean hugged him even tighter.

“It’ll be okay Sammy, I’m just glad you’re back. We can figure everything else out later.” Dean told him and Sam nodded. Usually he’d disagree, say they needed to know now but for once he wanted to just lay back and enjoy his time with his family.

TBC…..