Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.

Chapter 7

Dean paced the motel room nervously, hoping Sam would come back. He should have gone with him to torch the house but the kid had snuck out while Dean had been checking on his Dad. He spun around as the door rattled and then opened, the smell of smoke wafting in as Sam hesitantly peered in. Dean relaxed and smiled at Sam who stood in the doorway.

“Sam you coming in or hovering in the doorway all night?” Dean called out and Sam moved further in, shutting the door behind him.
“So the house is gone? You stink of smoke.” Dean offered and Sam nodded.
“Sam…..I’m not gonna hurt you.” Dean pleaded and Sam moved closer, looking down at the floor.

When Sam was close enough Dean yanked him into his arms, kissing him softly. Sam stayed tense for a few seconds before melting into Dean’s arms, returning the kiss carefully. Dean held him close, trying to show Sam since Sam didn’t seem to be getting what he was saying. He slipped his hand under Sam’s shirt, rubbing his back and then he smiled into the kiss as he heard Sam begin to purr. He broke the kiss for air and moved his other hand to gently run it through Sam’s hair. Sam clung to him, shaking, and Dean kissed him again. Sam choked back a sob and Dean gently walked him over to the bed, sitting them both down on it.

“It’s okay Sammy. It’s okay.” Dean whispered.

“How…..how can you just accept this? You’re a hunter.” Sam whispered and Dean sighed, tugging at Sam until he laid down, his head in Dean’s lap. Dean began to gently pet Sam’s hair.

“Because I know you Sam. Maybe if I’d found out when we met I would have reacted badly or something but I know you and I know you’re not a monster. I’ve seen you with the victims and you care about them. If you were like the things we hunt you would never have saved me in that alley or any of the times I’ve been hurt around you. I love you Sam.” Dean told him, smiling at Sam as the kid stared up at him in shock.
“You’re a good person Sam.” Dean assured him and Sam managed a shaky smile.
“I know it, Bobby knows it, you just have to accept it.” Dean told him. Sam closed his eyes and turned his head to hide his face in Dean’s shirt, inhaling Dean’s scent.
“Seeing you in the basement, I was so scared I was going to watch you die, torn apart by some witch’s pet. I admit when I saw you change…..it scared me.” He paused as Sam went rigid, moving his hand to gently rub at Sam’s neck, trying to make him relax.
“Hey, its okay Sam, just relax. You’re okay, you’re safe. I was scared yes and a little grossed out with the whole ripping throats out but you were protecting us. I’ve never seen anything like your transformation before, it was…..incredible.” Dean told him and Sam peered up at him.
“It was.” Dean assured him.

“I could smell it, your fear. I didn’t want you to be scared of me.” Sam whispered as Dean went back to stroking his hair.

“Fear of big animals with large teeth is like wired into humans you know. Yeah it was a bit scary but even as a big cat…..I could see you Sam, yeah your eyes were a different shape and colour but they still showed you. If that makes any sense at all.” Dean murmured and Sam started to look a little hopeful.
“Can…..Bobby called you something, what was it?” Dean asked and Sam swallowed.
“Sam I just want to know about you, you know a lot about me and now I find there’s this whole other side of you I don’t know.” Dean admitted and Sam reached up to gently stroke Dean’s cheek.

“You really want the whole story?” Sam asked and Dean nodded.
“Okay…….Bobby called me an Ailuranthrope, though technically I’m only half, half human through Bob….Dad.” Sam stumbled over what to call Bobby.

“And an Ailuranthrope is?” Dean asked, squeezing Sam’s hand.

“Sort of like a shape shifter I guess. There are a couple of breeds, I’m a jaguar, most common is leopard though. Tend not to mix with humans; it’s why they looked down on Mom and then me. We’re not governed by the moon like werewolves or anything but….changing and running under the full moon……..it’s incredibly freeing. We’re not dangerous or anything, no more so than any human or wild animal. Live in family groups for the most part. Mom’s family still live in South America way out in the jungle, I haven’t been there since I was five. Yes I am allergic to silver, why do you think I loaded those bullets so quickly? Burnt my fingers but they healed really fast.” Sam practically babbled the information and Dean sat quietly, working it out in his head.

“You could have killed the werewolf easily unarmed, couldn’t you?” Dean asked and Sam nodded.

“My shoulder also healed within minutes.” He admitted and Dean chuckled.

“Bet it was a pain faking it.” Dean said and Sam nodded.
“So you turn into a jaguar, I can deal with that.” Dean finally said, smiling at Sam as he saw the hope in his eyes.

“Really? Hair balls are a real pain.” Sam whispered, attempting to joke a little and Dean grinned.

“Just don’t use the furniture as a scratching post, pretty sure we’ll be charged for that.” Dean teased back. He grinned as Sam finally truly smiled at him, briefly flashing his dimples.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean smiled as he saw his Dad’s eyes move and then open. He moved closer as John tensed, looking around wildly.

“It’s okay Dad, you’re in the hospital. The witch is dead and the doc said you can be released in another couple of weeks.” Dean explained softly.

“Real?” John asked and Dean nodded.

“Yeah Dad, this is real, you’re safe.” Dean assured him, reaching out to squeeze his hand.
“I….I thought you were dead Dad, it’d been so long with nothing.” Dean admitted sadly and John stared at him, still confused from the medication and so long with the witch. He didn’t even know how long ago she’d captured him, it felt like centuries but he knew that wasn’t possible.

“How…” he coughed and Dean gave him some ice chips to help moisten his throat.
“How long?” He asked and Dean tightened his grip on his hand a little.

“I don’t know, depends how long after our last meet up she got you. But it’s been nearly two years since the last time I saw you. I didn’t even start to worry until it’d been nearly six months, not with your habit of not calling regularly when hunting.” Dean explained and John stared at him seeing that Dean did look older.

“Sorry.” John told him and Dean smiled at him.

“Not your fault Dad. She’ll never hurt anyone again.” Dean promised and John nodded, trying to remember what had happened. He remembered being in the basement and…..Dean had been there, Bobby too, tied up. The witch had come and then there’d been pain, she’d threatened to hurt Dean…….a man, Dean had yelled for him to run and then…..a cat.

“The cat!” John gasped, struggling to get up but Dean gently restrained him.

“Just take it easy Dad! I don’t wanna get kicked out for overexciting you, these nurses are real strict.”

“Dean the man! He was a cat!” John argued, still trying to sit up despite Dean’s hold and his body’s weakness.

“I know, its okay.” Dean soothed.

“Killed it?” John asked and Dean took a deep breath, head snapping around as he heard the hesitant step in the doorway. He couldn’t help smiling as he saw Sam standing there, managing to look utterly harmless despite his height and build, something Dean could never pull off. John glanced over and stiffened, opening his mouth and drawing breath to yell. Catching sight of the move, Dean put his hand over John’s mouth without cutting his air off. He saw Sam flinch out of the corner his eye and turned his head to give Sam another smile, motioning for him to stay.

John stared up at his son, confused and scared. He recognized the man in the door; it was the cat thing from the witch’s home. Why hadn’t Dean killed it? Why was Dean keeping him quiet? What was going on? Had it done something to his son? Was this all some sort of trick by the witch? He started to struggle and Dean turned to him fully.

“Dad stop. Just calm down before you set off an alarm.” Dean nodded towards the monitor where it showed his heart rate getting too high.
“Dad its okay, no one’s going to hurt you.” Dean whispered, staring at him with earnest green eyes, so much like Mary’s.
“This is Sam, Dad; he’s the one who got us all out. He’s a hunter too; I’ve known him a couple of years now. He won’t hurt you.” Dean promised looking at Sam who nodded and slowly walked closer.

“Hi Mr. Winchester. I’ve heard a lot about you, it’s nice to meet you.” Sam told him, hazel eyes earnest. John stared at the young man; he looked even younger than Dean and was dressed in the well worn clothes that most hunters seemed to favour.
“Dean’s right sir, I won’t hurt you. I don’t hurt people, never have.” The young man told him, as he finally came to the edge of the bed, standing just behind Dean. Sam looked at Dean, silently asking if they should bring it up.

“Sam is Bobby’s son Dad. You know Bobby would never endanger any of us.” Dean told him and John stared at the kid. Bobby’s son? He studied him closely and his eyes widened as he saw some of his friends features in the kid.

“Bobby?” John asked and Sam nodded.

“What…what are….” John coughed again and Dean gave him more ice chips.

“What am I?” Sam asked softly and John nodded.

“Half human through Dad, my Mom was an Ailuranthrope, jaguar type.” Sam told him, leaning towards Dean. Dean looked at him and grinned, reaching out to take his hand, ignoring the way his Dad’s eyes went wide. Sam saw though and tensed, going to pull back but Dean wouldn’t let him.

“Dean?” John whispered, looking between them.

“Um….I’m with Sam, have been for a while.” Dean admitted softly.

John just stared them, not sure what to think. This boy wasn’t human, not fully, and Dean was with him….since when did Dean like other guys? And Bobby’s son? Bobby had never mentioned having a kid, especially one who was a hunter. But that word…. Ailuranthrope…he could vaguely remember seeing research on that at Bobby’s years ago. He didn’t know what to think. Everything he’d ever seen said not human was dangerous but he’d trained Dean better than to be taken in by a pretty face. Okay the whole family thing could cloud Bobby’s judgment a bit but then again with what happened to his wife maybe not. Sam suddenly straightened, nostrils flaring as he scented the air.

“Sam?” Dean asked as Sam looked over to the doorway.
“What is it?”

“B..Dad.” Sam answered, smiling slightly. Sure enough Bobby walked in a few minutes later. Sam smiled hesitantly at him and Bobby grinned at him, walking over to clasp his shoulder briefly.

“You must get your height of your Mom’s side son.” Bobby commented and Sam shrugged.
“How’re you feeling John?” He asked as he took his cap off. John just shrugged slightly.
“Well at least you’ve got a private room. Sam can I…..can we go get lunch or something?” Bobby asked and Sam nodded, looking at Dean who grinned and gave him a quick kiss.

“Have fun.” Dean told them as they left.
“Seeing them so awkward together, it’s so cute.” Dean teased and John frowned.
“Bobby only found out when Sam changed. Sam’s apparently always known but was too scared that Bobby would hate him. Poor kid hasn’t had an easy life Dad. After his Mom died none of his other family would take him in, had to raise himself.” Dean told him and John nodded. Dean smiled as he noticed his Dad’s eyelids drooping a bit.
“Get some more sleep Dad.” Dean soothed and John nodded, looking around.
“Room’s warded, you’re safe.” Dean assured him and stayed until John was asleep.

TBC…