Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Sam smiled as he walked into his motel room, happy to be done with the hunt, only to stop and hiss, baring teeth that had begun to elongate. There was an answer hiss from the corner and an older man emerged. Sam got ready for a fight but the other man backed down so he relaxed a little.

“We need to talk kitten.” The man stated, using the common word for a related, younger shifter of their breed. Sam nodded and dumped his bag, going to the small fridge and offering a bottle of water which was accepted.
“Your actions have been observed and frankly worry the family.”

“And I care why? I don’t even know who you are. No one stepped in on my behalf when Mom died so why should I care what any of you think? I’m just the mongrel who didn’t have the good sense to die at birth.” Sam spat, repeating one of the things he’d heard after his mothers’ death.

“Irina was a fool mating with that human, and a hunter at that. She deserved.” He was cut off as Sam slammed him into the wall, teeth bared and a knife to the mans throat.

“Don’t you dare speak about her like that!” He snarled in rage and the older man nodded as much as he could with a silver blade resting against his jugular.
“I’m a loner and I like it that way. As long as I am alone the Elders have no say in what I do.” Sam stated, releasing the man.

“And if you mate? There’s no way of knowing what your cubs would be.” He snapped at Sam who glared.

“They would be loved and that’s all that matters. Besides, odds are I’ll never mate, at least not with a female.” Sam sneered and got a shocked look for it.
“Half-human remember? Now get out and tell them to leave me alone or I might let something slip to some other hunters I know. Anything happens to me and they’ll get info I know certain Prides don’t want getting out.” Sam literally tossed the man out of his room, not caring that he was technically a relation. No one had offered to take him in after his Mom had been killed so why should he care about them? His Mom had been the only family he had ever had, though he was starting to think of his Dad as a friend now as well as Dean.

Sam sighed and collapsed on his bed, so much for his good mood. He lay there for a while before deciding he might as well head out so he grabbed his gear and checked out, heading for the highway.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Hey Bobby.” Dean greeted, returning the mans hug before following him into the house.

“God to see you kid, what brings you my way?” Bobby asked as he handed him the holy water. Dean downed it and then sat down, shrugging.

“You heard from Dad lately?” He asked and Bobby shook his head.

“Neither have I.” Dean mumbled, putting his head down.

“Dean? What’s wrong?” Bobby asked in concern.

“If….you’d take a call from the hospital, wouldn’t you?” Dean asked and Bobby’s heart sank.

“Of course Dean, you may not be mine but you’re still family.” Bobby promised, getting a weak grin in return.

“Got torn up by a wendigo, it was…bad. Another hunter found me, got me to the hospital, he even hung around until I could get back on the road. Makes it the second time the kids saved my ass. He got the hospital to call Dad but….nothing.” Dean explained and Bobby squeezed his shoulder.

“I’m sorry son, if you’d called I would have come. What kid?”

“Name’s Sam, never got his last name. He’s a hunter too. He uh, kind of stepped in a year ago when I got on the wrong end of some bikers while hustling.”

“Hmmm. I know a Sam, never met him but I’ve sent him info and he’s sent me things too. He’s a good hunter but a loner, keeps to himself. Never realised he was that young.” Bobby said and Dean shrugged.

“A few years younger than me I’d say but he’s taller. Never actually seen him working, he’d handled the case I was in town for when we met; it was just a bunch of teens messing around. Then I got the wendigo and it got me, we’ve only met twice.” Dean explained.
“He’s a bit weird, maybe since you said he hunts alone or something. First time we met he couldn’t get rid of me fast enough, this time he stayed with me the whole time, let me stay in his room till I left and looked after me. He said his Mom died when he was a kid and he’s never met his Dad so maybe he doesn’t know how to interact?”

“That’d be a good guess.” Bobby offered and Dean nodded.
“The kids never met his Dad? Does he at least know who it is?”

“Yeah, wouldn’t tell me though. Apparently he’s a hunter. No clue why Sam won’t tell him, going by Sam’s looks and age I know maybe four hunters it could be. One of them is Dad so that’s just plain awkward.” Dean admitted and Bobby nodded, curious over why the kid had never approached his Dad and how he’d gotten into hunting without that sort of push. Maybe something got his Mom?
“So….mind if I crash here for a few days? Still a bit sore.”

“Go ahead; you know where the room is.” Bobby told him and Dean smiled at him.

“Thanks.”

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Sam glanced at his phone and smiled when he saw the message on it, sending one back to Dean. The other hunter had started sending him messages about a week after they’d parted and Sam enjoyed the contact. Dean had even given him advice and hunting tips when asked. Sam had returned the favour a few times as well.

Sam stood outside the bar two hours later and grinned as he saw the Impala pull in. Dean got out and walked over to him, hands in his pockets to keep them warm.

“Nice to see you when you’re not half-dead.” Sam teased and Dean rolled his eyes.
“Finished healing?” Sam asked in concern.

“Yeah, spent some time with a family friend. How’ve you been?” Dean asked and Sam shrugged.

“Had an uncle show up, we fought…..other than that pretty good.” Sam answered, pulling the bar door open. They both relaxed as they stepped into the warm bar, not that the cold really got to Sam all that much unless it was well below freezing.

“Are you okay?” Dean asked and Sam flashed him a small, shy smile, happy that Dean was concerned for him.

“Yeah, he went off at me. I went off at him for the fact that they abandoned me when Mom died.”

“How old were you?” Dean demanded, family did not do that!

“Nine.” Sam admitted and Dean’s hands balled into fists.
“None of them approved of my Dad, not that they ever met him but they made sure I knew his blood made me less then them. When Mom died…..that’s the first time I’ve seen any of them since. I was fine on my own.” Sam assured him but Dean was still angry on his behalf as their food was delivered. Sam had been fine; he’d simply gone wild until he was old enough that people wouldn’t ask too many questions.

“Sam I’m sorry……..I know my childhood wasn’t exactly normal but for family to do that…………” Dean growled and Sam bit back a laugh, Dean sounded like he should belong to his family!

“Not normal? So your parents are hunters?” Sam asked and Dean took a deep breath. He hated talking about it to people who didn’t know….but Sam had opened up a lot about his childhood; Dean couldn’t not talk about his.

“My Dad is. My Mom…..she was killed by a demon when I was four. Dad’s been after it ever since. I think I’ve been to a school in just about every state. He started taking me on hunts when I hit fifteen. Getting a bit worried though, no one’s heard from him since about three weeks before I got hospitalised.” Dean admitted and Sam frowned, in their line of work that was not a good sign.

“I’m sorry. I can keep an eye out for him too if you want.” Sam offered and Dean nodded.

“Thanks. So what are you in town for?”

“A motel room, didn’t feel like driving any further today. You?”

“Found a hunt nearby. You uh….want to help?” Dean asked and Sam blinked in surprise.

“Really?”

“Yeah, I ah…I’m used to hunting with a partner and we’re friends?” Dean offered and Sam smiled.

“Yeah, sounds good. So know what it is?”

“Werewolf by the looks of it.” Dean answered and Sam fought to keep from going white. Silver bullets, joy.

TBC…