Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.

Chapter 3

Sam parked the truck and got down, scrambling up into the back and smiling at the merman who gave him a small smile in return. Sam knew the merman didn’t really trust him but also knew Sam was his only chance to get home, that was why he’d healed Sam. Sam sat beside the tank as he dug out some food, wrinkling his nose in disgust at the half stale sandwich but ate it, feeling the merman watching him. “Are you hungry?” Sam asked and the merman nodded. “I have no clue what you eat.” Sam admitted.

Dean watched the human eat, feeling rather hungry but he had no way to tell Sam what he ate. He hated the tank, hated being stuck but at least he wasn’t unconscious anymore and Sam would take time to talk to him, tell him what was going on. He couldn’t help but like the human even though he didn’t trust him fully. He watched as Sam finished his food and then stretched out before getting up.

“We’re only a few hours from Washington. When we get there I’ll buy a map and we can try to find your home.” Sam told him, putting his hand to the tank and Dean copied him. Then Sam jumped down and the truck started up.

Dean dosed for a while but opened his eyes when it stopped again but Sam failed to appear and he started to get nervous. He was really starting to worry when Sam pulled himself up into the truck, a bag over his arm. Sam looked at him, his eyes went wide and he rushed to the tank.

“It’s alright, I’m here. I’m sorry, I didn’t think.” Sam babbled and Dean relaxed, putting his hand against the tank and Sam copied him. “I was getting a map and supplies, I’m sorry.” Sam assured him as he sat down in front of the tank. He pulled out the map and spread it out so Dean could see. “Okay so this is of Washington, the blue shapes are lakes, can you nod when I point to one that looks the same shape as your home?” Sam asked and Dean nodded hesitantly. He wasn’t sure it would work, there were so many and he knew his home but it was different to looking at a blue shape. But he had to try.

``````````````````````````````````````````
Sam dropped his head down to rest on the steering wheel in frustration. Dean had managed to give him an approximate shape of his lake and they had checked three so far with no luck. He’d known it wouldn’t be easy but seeing the merman’s disappointment every time made it worse. He wanted to find his home for him, what if he had a family waiting for him? Sam sighed and sat up, starting the truck again, they still had several lakes on the map that were of similar shapes and if none of those were it then they’d just have to find every lake in the state.

Dean floated in the tank, staring sadly at nothing. He wanted to be home, he missed be able to swim around and he was starving. They’d been to several lakes so far but none of them were his home.

``````````````````````````````````````````
Sam climbed into the back of the truck and smiled at the merman who smiled sadly back. “Hey, we still have a lot more lakes to look at, we’ll find it.” Sam promised, touching the tank. The merman copied him and his smile widened a little in response to Sam’s actions and words. Sam sat beside the tank and ate his dinner before curling up in the next of blankets he’d made up. “See you in the morning.” Sam whispered and the merman nodded.

Dean watched Sam sleep for a while; he looked so young and peaceful. Dean still didn’t know why Sam was attempting to help him but he’d take the help as long as it lasted. He just hoped he was wrong about what he thought Sam’s motives were. Dean tensed when Sam whimpered in his sleep, beginning to toss and turn. Sam usually slept soundly and deeply so what was wrong? When Sam began really thrashing Dean pounded on his tank, trying to wake him up. He relaxed as Sam shot into a sitting position, eyes wide and panting for air. Dean hit the tank one last time to get Sam’s attention and the hunter jumped, staring at him with fear before slowly calming. Sam staggered up and over to the tank, sitting beside it. Dean got as low as he could in the tank, staring in concern and Sam managed a shaky smile.

“Thanks.” Sam whispered and Dean nodded. He raised an eyebrow in question and Sam nodded. “I’m okay.” Sam told him, leaning his head against the tank tiredly.

Sam wasn’t okay, not by a long shot. Actually he was terrified. He knew a vision when he had one and that had not been a nightmare. He hadn’t had a vision since…...since Azazel had died so why now? And what he’d seen……….Sam shivered slightly and the merman stared at him in concern. “I’m not gonna get anymore sleep tonight, might as well get back on the road.” Sam told him, getting up and stretching.

Dean watched him go in concern, something was wrong.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Sam stopped the truck and frowned, he could have sworn he heard something…………..the banging came again and Sam jumped down, running around to the back to see the merman bashing at his tank. “Hey! Whoa calm down! What’s wrong?” Sam asked as he scrambled up.

Dean kept slamming into the tank, he could feel it!! He was home! When Sam climbed up he smiled happily but Sam didn’t seem to know why. It was so frustrating not being able to communicate!

“Is something wrong?” Sam asked and Dean shook his head. “Okay so……..damn it. This is not easy.” Sam mumbled and Dean grinned, pointing out of the truck, trying to get across what he was happy about. Sam frowned but then it slowly dawned on him. “We’re there?” Sam asked and Dean nodded enthusiastically. He was puzzled when Sam frowned. “There’s nothing on the map…….I’m gonna have to look around to find it so I’ll be gone for a while. We’re in the middle of nowhere so you should be okay.” Sam told him and Dean nodded, eager for Sam to find his home.

Sam smiled at him and then gathered a few things into a backpack, including weapons. He figured the odds were good the lake was being watched; Trent probably still had some friends willing to help him after all. Sam grinned at him and then got out of the truck and headed off into the woods. Finding the thing was going to be hard, it had to be close but it could literally be in any direction so Sam headed uphill first while he was nice and energetic.

Four hours and several trips back to the truck to reassure the merman Sam stumbled across an expanse of clear blue water and stared in awe. It was beautiful! Sam smiled in awe but then retreated to the trees, moving to scout the area for any hunters. When he saw Trent he sighed, he’d given the other man as many chances as he was getting. Sam took aim and pulled the trigger.

Dean stared as Sam jumped back into the truck. Sam grinned and Dean knew, he’d found his lake. Sam walked over to his tank, still grinning and Dean grinned back. “Guess it’s obvious huh? Yeah, I found a lake. It’s incredible! If that’s your home…….there is a small problem though.” Sam told him and Dean frowned, tilting his head. Sam sighed and sat beside his tank like normal. “There’s no road leading there and no way to get the truck through. Don’t suppose you know how they got you out of there in the first place?” Sam asked and Dean shook his head before closing his eyes to try and explain. “You were unconscious?” Sam asked and Dean nodded. “I can try carrying you, though you’re not light and…..I’m not sure you can be out of the water that long.” Sam admitted and Dean sagged, so close yet so far. “Hey, we’ll figure this out, don’t give up.” Sam whispered and Dean stared at him before nodding.

```````````````````````````````````````````
Sam stared at the truck’s ceiling, lost in thought and unable to sleep. The lake was all of a quarter of a mile away and there was no feasible way to get the merman there, not alive anyway. But there had to be some way to do it. How had Trent taken him in the first place? He must have had help; several people carrying could have gotten the guy to the tank quick enough. He could feel eyes on him and knew the merman was watching him but it was actually comforting, not creepy or anything. He looked over at the tank and smiled, obviously surprising the merman who then smiled back.

Dean had thought Sam was asleep but obviously he’d been wrong. He’d thought Sam would be mad he was watching but the hunter had just smiled at him. Sam had to the oddest hunter and a very weird human.

TBC…