Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.
Glad people like this so far!

Chapter 2

Sam slammed on the breaks, feeling a flash of sympathy for the poor merman in the back as the truck skidded to a halt. He grabbed his gun and took aim at the pissed off men, knowing they were hunters.

“Can I help you?” Sam called out, keeping his gun out of sight for now.

“Get out of the truck kid and put your hands up.” One barked out and Sam just stared at him.

“Why?”

“We know you’re the one that beat Trent, you think you can just do that to another hunter?” He demanded and Sam glared.

“I did what I had to!” Sam yelled angrily. You want to start another fight? He was going after peaceful species, ones that will even help humans! We don’t do that.” Sam spat and was happy when one or two shifted nervously at that.

“A monster is a monster boy now come here.” The apparent leader snapped and Sam sighed but levelled his gun at him.

“No, let me past or I’ll run you over if I have to. You’re not hunters, your thugs and bigots. I don’t want to hurt you but I will if I have to.” Sam stated as coldly as he could. He had to save the merman in the truck. The ones that had looked uncomfortable before backed away a bit and Sam glanced at them, hiding a grin when they took off. That made things easier; five to one were way better odds. Sam kept his gun on the leader but made sure he could see the others as well, praying that his reflexes were better. He was younger, fitter than them so he should have the edge.

“You’d kill another hunter for a creature?” The man spat and Sam glared at him.

“You’re no hunter; people like you make me feel sick.” Sam spat back.
“Now leave.” The leader started to aim at him and Sam squeezed the trigger, his bullet hitting the man’s gun arm and sending him to the ground. He shifted his aim even as he began to ease off the break, the big truck starting to roll forward threateningly. That was enough for most of the rest and they bolted except for one who levelled his shotgun at Sam, Sam’s gun aimed at him in return.

Dean floated in his tank, body shivering in fear as he heard gunshots and angry shouts. When the truck started moving again he relaxed a bit, taking it to mean Sam had managed their escape. The truck moved for what felt like forever and then stopped. Dean pressed himself against the glass as he heard noise and then Sam was there but something was wrong. Sam looked at him and managed a smile even as he fell to the floor and then crawled closer. Dean began beating at the tank, knowing something was wrong. Sam’s hand came up to the tank and Dean’s eyes widened in horror at the blood on Sam’s hand. Dean thrashed against the glass wanting to help him somehow even if being out of the water too long would kill him.

“Hey, calm down. I’ll be okay.” Sam whispered, pulling himself over to a bag and beginning to pull things out. Dean watched in horror as Sam put an instrument to his side and began digging something out. He cried out as Sam whimpered and Sam looked up at him.
“I’m okay, I’m okay.” Sam murmured but Dean didn’t believe him. He moved his hands to the top of the tank and started pushing and Sam’s eyes went wide.
“No! Don’t, we’re too far from water, you’ll die.” Sam called out and Dean looked at him and then he started rocking against the tank as if……Sam staggered up and over to the tank. It took a bit of fiddling with the controls but then the tank was upright and Sam sank to the ground. Dean shoved up again and the lid popped off. He pulled himself up and over the edge, falling beside Sam.
“No.” Sam whispered and Dean dragged himself to his side, pushing Sam’s clothes aside to get to the wound.

Dean stared at the blood and then lowered his face to it, making Sam tense. He looked up at the hunter and then raised a hand to gently stroke Sam’s face. He then lowered his lips to the wound, breathing over it carefully. Sam gasped and then moaned and Dean smiled as the wound sealed over. Sam stared in shock and then looked at Dean. Dean smiled and took Sam’s hand and Sam laughed, a few tears falling from his eyes.

“Thank you, thank you!” Sam told him, squeezing his hand gently.
“What’s your name?” Sam asked and Dean put a hand to his throat, shaking his head.
“You can’t talk?” Sam asked and Dean nodded before swallowing and trying to take a deep breath.
“Oh shit. Hang on, it’s gonna be okay.” Sam told him, scrambling upright; Sam got his arms around Dean’s waist and pulled him up, Dean helping by reaching up to grab the top of the tank. With a bit of work Dean was safely back in the water and Sam smiled at him.
“Thank you. We need to get moving again. You okay?” Sam asked and Dean nodded.
“Okay.”

`````````````````````````````````````````````````
Sam waited impatiently for the phone to be answered, his fingers tapping at the steering wheel as he drove.

“Hello?”

“Hey Bobby.” Sam answered.

“Sam? What the hell have you gotten yourself into boy? They’re saying you attacked and beat a hunter!”

“Yeah well Trent’s a little bastard who deserved everything he got Bobby. He was keeping a merman sedated and in a tiny tank. He said it didn’t matter, that he was just another monster.” Sam spat and Bobby sighed.

“You okay?” Bobby asked.

“Yeah, I am now. I…..some hunters found us, I got shot. I went into the back to try and patch myself up and he freaked, kept trying to get out of the tank but it was lying down, it would have drained. So I managed to get it upright and collapsed. He……….he just pulled himself out despite not really being able to breath. Bobby……he…….he healed me.” Sam whispered and Bobby blinked in shock. Sure he’d heard of merpeople saving people from drowning but healing someone?

“Why?”

“Maybe because I got him out? Without me he’d be stuck here for who knows how long. I don’t know, he looked……sad?” Sam offered and Bobby sighed.

“Tell me you at least know where you’re going?”

“I know what state but so did Trent. How many lakes are there in Washington State that could support at least one mer? Sam asked.

“Damn it boy. When you get there find a map, maybe he can narrow it down by pointing out the right shape.” Bobby offered and Sam nodded.

“Thanks.”

“No problem, I’ll spread the word about what really happened, try to get some of the digits off your back but I can’t promise a lot of them will listen.”

“Because it’s me. I get it Bobby, just do what you can.” Sam hung up and closed his eyes before going back to driving.

TBC…