Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Hearing 'Take This Job and Shove It' from her jeans pocket, Darcy sighed and pulled her cell phone out. "Hello, Coulson."

Listening for a few moments, she sighed again and nodded. "I'll be there soon."

Looking over to where Jane and Erik were conferring, she put her cell phone back into her pocket and stood up. Pulling her SHIELD badge out, she put it around her neck. "Hey, guys?" After a few moments of being ignored, she put her fingers to her mouth and whistled loudly.

When the two scientists looked at her, annoyed, she continued. "I've got to go out. Coulson's called me in to help."

Jane looked worried. "That's never good."

Darcy smiled. "It won't be so bad. I'll see you guys tomorrow!" Waving, she strode out of the lab and towards her car.

Ten minutes later, she parked her car on the street and quickly walked toward the SHIELD mobile unit. "What's the sitch?" she asked Coulson as she approached.

"Bomb threat in the middle of that," Coulson replied, gesturing to the mass of people clogging the street.

"Why haven't they been evacuated?" Darcy asked, her head cocked.

Coulson pinched his nose. "It's a protest. The higher ups don't want SHIELD to be seen as anti-freedom of rights by shutting it down."

Darcy nodded and stretched her arms. "What are we looking for?"

"Anything out of place," Coulson replied as he handed over an earpiece. "Unattended bags, overfull garbage cans, things like that."

Fitting the earpiece in, Darcy nodded and took a deep breath. "Right, I'm going in."

"The Avengers are all in the crowd, as well as other SHIELD agents," Coulson stated as Darcy started to move away.

"Here, bomby, bomby," Darcy muttered as she searched through the crowd.

"You are live, Agent Lewis," Steve stated over the communication line.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Darcy replied as she continued to search.

After ten minutes of searching, she sighed. "I need coffee."

"Me too," Tony replied.

"Stark! Lewis!" Coulson loudly said over the line.

Darcy jumped. "Sorry! Sorry! I forgot about the earpiece. Radio silence, right..."

That's when she saw the backpack against a light post. She looked it over. It had no identification tag. Looking at the people around, she called out, "Hey, does this belong to anyone? Or should I drop it off with the cops as lost?"

"Did you find something, Darcy Lewis?" Thor asked over the comm.

"I don't know yet," Darcy replied. After a few moments of no replies from the people around her, she approached the bag. "It's a backpack, unattended. I'm seeing if there are any outside wires or triggers."

"Don't touch it!" Natasha barked. "The bomb squad will reach you within ten minutes."

"I'm not touching it unless I have to," Darcy replied, rolling her eyes. "I don't see anything that could be a trigger."

"Wait for the bomb squad," Clint ground out.

"Uh huh..." Darcy replied, distractedly as she reached out. "I'm going to open the bag."

Multiple shouts of "NO!" caused her to flinch.

Shaking her head, she slowly pulled the zipper of the backpack, her head pulled back and her eyes half shut.

After a few moments, she had the bag opened and gave a sigh of relief. "Well, it hasn't gone off yet."

"Idiot child," Coulson ground out over the mutterings of multiple Avengers and agents. "We are going to have a serious talk when this is over."

"Ummm..." Darcy looked at the timer she could see with wide eyes. "How far is the bomb guys from me?"

"Four minutes out," an agent replied.

"I have a two minute timer," Darcy replied as she rezipped the backpack. "I'm going to run with it."

Picking the bag up, she turned toward a nearby building, only to be stopped by Bruce appearing out of the crowd.

"I'll take that," he said with a small smile before running into a side alley.

A minute and a half later, the ground shook, and the roof of a nearby building seemed to be on fire.

"The Hulk has contained the blast," an agent called out through the comm link. "I repeat, The Hulk has contained the blast."

Giving a sigh of relief, Darcy turned towards the SHIELD van and started back. After a few minutes, she reached Coulson and handed over the comm link. "I'm going home and soak for a few hours in my tub. Probably with a multiple bottles of something alcoholic. I'll listen to your lecture and do your paperwork tomorrow."

"How did you think you'd get the bomb out of the area?" he asked with a glare.

Darcy gave a wan grin. "I totally kick ass at parkour."

Chapter End Notes:

Parkour, also known as 'urban running' is a discipline of getting from point A to point B as efficiently as possible, using walls, fire escapes, boxes, roofs, etc... to get there.

I've always thought that slayers would be awesome at parkour.