Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


CHAPTER TWELVE


Tyler walked Catherine around the village during their last shopping trip of the year. No one was saying anything about them walking so close together or the fact that she was reading as she walked, or that he was doing the same. Or even that they were holding hands. The one person who had remarked on it a few weeks back had gotten thumped by William later that night in the dark, so no one really said anything about it. Even though it was so cute it was sickening. A large bang echoed down the street, drawing them both from their books. A backfiring car came around the corner, zooming at them as fast as it could go. He moved her out of the way and she squealed, hitting him on the chest for the pinch to her rear. The car turned and came back so she led him into one of the shops, leaning against the door. "Who's the demolition driver?"

"Roschene's second-in-command," he panted. The candy shop worker looked at them. "Someone's trying to run us over."

"Okay," she agreed, picking up the phone to call the local cops. They came running and one of them blew out the tires on the car as it roared for the front of the shop. She looked out as it crashed, then at them. "Why do they want you?"

"They hate me," Catherine told her, lying a bit. "I refused his son's advances. Tyler's mother doesn't want him, I don't want the kid, it's a horrible family of idiots." The salesgirl nodded, looking like she understood that. "Well, I was heading here anyway so this is a nice thing at least." She walked over and pointed at the largest box. "I need one of those for me and one to be shipped to my mother. She's babying her first book along." The woman smiled and pulled them down, filling them both with the things they picked out together. Catherine looked at the smaller boxes, then smirked at Tyler. "And the second smallest for my sister. Put in a good assortment for her. She's on a diet again." The woman snickered but loaded it full, even giving them a nice discount for not letting the store be destroyed. They walked out with the boxes in a special carry bag, walking past the cops. "Eww, toad man," she said, pointing at him. She glared at him and he whimpered. "Work for the runt?" He nodded. "Tell him I'm still not happy with him and his stuff. I'm going to hit him again." The cops all looked at her and one smiled. "His boss had me attacked and was hunting the Headmistress for no reason," she told him.

"That's fine, we'll be asking him about that as well," he assured her. "How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good. No more headache. My mother's using her psychology degree to write a book, they think she's better than most of the quacks on the market who got their Ph. D. in gym teacher." Tyler looked confused. "Almost all those so-called doctors got their doctorates in physiology. That's a Ph. D. in gym teacher." She shrugged. "She's got her doctorate in psychology, she's qualified to give advice and she does pretty good." They continued on. "Speaking of which, she told me to tell you the whatever had been mailed."

"Good," he said happily. "We were conspiring about your gift for weathering this year." He put a hand in hers and they walked on, hitting all the shops they needed to hit. They were the most laden-down people on the bus on the way back, their packages got their own seat and no one complained. They shipped their candy as soon as they got back then headed down to the new suite. They found Nick lounging in front of the TV. "Haven't they rebuilt your house yet?" he asked dryly as he walked past him.

"No. What happened in town this time?"

"Roschene's person tried to run us over," she said, kissing him on the cheek. "Have fun vegging." She went to her room to put things up and to change out books since she was done with hers.

Nick looked around. "He tried to run you over?" he called, and didn't get an answer. "Catherine? Doesn't this worry you?"

"The local cops have him," Robbie said as he walked in with his own bags. "He nearly rammed into the candy shop because they were hiding in there," he said with a smirk. "I think they got a discount of some sort. She bought enough to need a special bag from them." Nick drooled, he liked the candy as much as the kids did. Robbie handed over his share of the haul, making him happy. "The guy decided to jump in the river instead of answering questions. They think he drowned. She called him a toad." He looked around. "Children, it's very quiet in here," he called. Nick snickered and swatted at him, his mouth was full of chocolate and peanut butter.

Tyler came out of his room, giving him an odd look. "Then go find William. I was putting up my new shirts." He went to Catherine's room to search for his missing candles. She handed them over with a smile and he stole one of hers from the table, there had only been one left in the shop, and headed back to his room.

Catherine came out with her bag of popcorn and sat beside Nick on the couch, staring at the tv. "How can you watch sports without the sound?"

"The announcers annoy me," he mumbled, chewing harder. She hugged him and he patted her on the arm. "Behave."

"I'm always good." She watched the game go on. "I sent Mom a big box of chocolates and a smaller one to Crystal so she'd have to break her diet again." Robbie snickered. "Do you like her?"

"Only as a penpal," he assured her. "William was the one who thought she was cute and Benton blushed each time he saw her since she pinched him so nicely on the behind." He went to his room to put away his haul, making sure to hide things from William. They didn't feed him chocolate, it made him doubly annoying.

Out in the main lounge everyone else was coming in from their Saturday pursuits so they could clean up for dinner. William was handed a small box of chocolates by Tyler, accompanied by a wink. William took them into his room to nibble. "Hey, no toffees," he complained. But chocolate was chocolate and he wasn't giving it up.

The End.