Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


CHAPTER THREE.



Catherine woke up to find her hall officer sitting there watching here and groaned. "Oh, man, that's not something I want to do again." She looked from the book to him and back. "Are you one or are you like they want me to be?" she asked quietly, getting the point of him being there instead of someone like Ms. Pierson.

"No, I'm one of them. That's one of the reasons you were put up here. I'm in charge of training the young ones who can change." He looked her over. "Why did you pass out?"

"I've never had a destiny before," she told him lightly, then grimaced. "Sorry, I guess I should be honest and all. It scared me," she said after a second, looking down at the book. "The fact that things like this not only exist, but that I'm going to be part of them is just a little too much for me at the moment. I could get the point of the theorem, but to actually see it is something else."

He shrugged. "It hits us each separately. The last girl went on crying jags because this meant she had to give up her boyfriend." He leaned forward. "Why did you pick out this book?"

"Celia said the big blue book on the middle shelf of the east wall," she defended. "That's the only one I saw."

"Then the boy must have the other one. That other book would have kept it at a theoretical level, for now you didn't need to know how real this was." He tapped the book. "You may keep it to read, or you can forget it for a few months while they prepare you for the shock. Your decision."

"I'd rather know," she said, looking up at him. "Will I...."

He shook his head. "Each bond is individual. What you'll be doing is basically being the best friend, steadying influence, and helper of your partner. They'll bond to you until they grow up enough to start living on their own. They'll seem to be your age the whole time, their human bodies will age somewhat, and the bond will be broken about the time that you're in your forties."

She sighed. "Just late enough for me to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life."

He chuckled. "Yes, too true. You could always choose to take on another young one, if there's one available then, or you could choose to go on and use what you know in other ways. Mine went on and joined the Order of Sisters."

"The woman who wrote the dragon series," Catherine said quietly, "was she one?"

"No, but she's a very gifted author. Most of us here happen to like her writing." He stood up and patted her on the head. "Catherine, relax about this and let your decisions flow when it's time. No one will force you to do anything that you don't want." He left the room, making sure the door was closed behind him.

"Celia," Catherine called. "Do you have anything stronger than a breath mint in there?"

Celia walked out and handed over a wine cooler. "Of course. We knew the shock was coming. Don't let anyone know, okay? I really don't need detentions for the rest of the year." She walked back into her room and shut her door.

Catherine picked up the book and walked into her room, shutting her door so she could think in peace.

***


Catherine walked up to her physics teacher after class, putting a hand on his arm. "I know," she said quietly. "I need to know why me."

He smiled at her. "Because you're you," he told her. "You've got the right personality to match one of them and the ability to cope in strange and stressful situations. You'll make a fine bond partner, Catherine, never doubt that. Was there anything else?"

"More references?"

"Later this week," he told her, leaving the room.

She picked up her things and went to her next class, still trying to figure out the main question. Why her?

She was halfway to her seat in her next class before she realized that the teacher was talking to her. She blushed as she turned to look at the older woman. "Yes, ma'am?"

"Sit, dear. You're late." She gave the girl a smile. "I know, you've had a rough night, correct?"

"Something like that," Catherine admitted as she sat down. "Um, I didn't...."

The teacher waved a hand. "You aren't the only one. I've asked and only one person actually did their homework. I think we should work on that today in class." Everyone groaned but opened their books and pulled out their calculators.

***


Catherine walked through the little town, glancing in store windows. She hadn't gotten farther than the main street the last school-sponsored trip, so this time she decided she wanted to explore some of the little shops in the alleys and on the back of the Main Street ones. She stopped in front of one that was offering crystals, intrigued by one. It wasn't that she liked crystals, she just liked the color of this one. She walked inside and bought the small trinket, putting it into her pocket before going on to explore some more.

She came back ten minutes early for the bus and sat down beside Ms. Pierson at the picnic table. "I found the most beautiful crystal today," she said, holding it out. "Isn't it a pretty color?"

Ms. Pierson looked at it and smiled at her. "Yes, dear, it is. What else did you find?"

"Not much. I bought a few granola bars to nibble on while I study. I bought a new pair of boots, they're on order. They said they'd send them up to the school."

"They will," she agreed. "Some of the merchants are very good about that sort of thing." She picked up her apple and bit into it. "So, I've heard that you've found out why you're here." Catherine nodded. "Any idea what else is going on yet?"

"Just that I need to do some major thinking right now. I'm not really a people person, I'm not sure I'd make such a good friend to anyone." She glanced around the small park the bus was parked beside. "I'm not sure that they didn't chose the wrong girl this time."

Ms. Pierson smiled and patted her on the hand. "I'm sure they didn't. There's all sorts that could choose you, I'm sure one of them will match your personality well enough." She stood up and ate her apple on the way to the trash can, tossing it away as soon as she got there. "Catherine, why don't you get on the bus? I'll check you in now and then you can go relax and wait."

Catherine gathered her things and walked over to the bus, getting on after her bags were checked for contraband. She relaxed in her seat, sure that everything might be okay now. She looked out and noticed the crystal still sitting on the table, so she got off to get it. She strolled past Ms. Pierson, waving it to show why she was off the bus. Ms. Pierson shook her head but she was smiling; it was almost a fond look.

***


Catherine tossed her roommate the bag of goodies she had been asked to get. "They didn't have anything with jelly in it," she said before she could get complained to.

Celia shrugged. "It was a fond wish." She dug through the bag and came out with the bag of caramels. "How's the class work going? I'm supposed to be asking this at regular intervals so you know that you can come to me for help." She grinned at the dirty look she got sent. "Well?"

"It's going well enough," she said, sitting on the other end of the couch. "I'm still being picked on by some of the other girls, but I'd expect that in any new school. I'm being challenged still, so that's a relief. If I don't get bored, I should do fine."

"What about tests?"

"I won't have one for another two weeks, and that's in Calculus. I've had a few difficulties in there but the teacher has been very good at explaining it to me. I know now that I wasn't cut out for the higher maths."

"Hmm," Celia murmured around her mouthful of gooey stuff. She swallowed. "Wait until you start getting into the more math-oriented physics." She got a confused look. "What? You thought the changers were the only ones who needed to know how to fly?"

Catherine groaned. "Now I know why I'm in the higher maths. They aren't my specialities at all." She pulled out her crystal. "I found this today in a little store behind Main Street. It's a pretty color so I picked it up. I think I'll put it in my window."

"Looks good to me. Did Ms. Pierson see it?"

"Yes, I showed it to her before I got on the bus. She thought it was pretty too."

"Good." Celia stuffed another caramel into her mouth. "What're you doing today?" she asked before she started to chew.

"I have to clean my room. It's a mess. We do have access to a vacuum, correct?" Celia nodded, rolling her eyes. "What?"

"Go ride," Celia managed to say as she stood up. "It's too pretty to clean," she called from her room as soon as her mouth was clear.

Catherine sighed. "I don't like horses," she called, going into her room. Maybe she'd surf the web, look for fantasy sites. She wanted to see if there was anything out on the 'net about these changers.

***


Mr. Rayne tapped on Catherine's door, waiting until she yelled before walking in. "Catherine, what are you doing?" he asked, sitting down on her bed.

"I'm looking for fantasy sites. I just found one devoted to a cult that believes dragons are not only real but that they're doing a slow take-over of the world."

He shook his head. "Dear, you can't do that from this school. It brings attention to us."

"Why would anybody think that I'm anything but a teenager who liked fantasy novels, which I am."

"Because it's us, Catherine," he said quietly. "This school has always been associated with strange things. As a matter of fact, we're probably listed on that website you're looking at."

She paged down then nodded. "Yup, right here. Something about providing wives for suitable men." She closed the page. "Better?"

"Much. You set off a few alarms downstairs." He crossed his legs. "Catherine, you mustn't look like you know what's going on. Not to the outside and not to the usual students. You were put in Scarlet because you were special. That specialness is something that the parents of most Red students would harm us over. We have to be very circumspect in what information gets out. Even what websites we surf have to uphold the image."

"Does that mean I have to change the email address that I've had since I was ten? It's a dragonmail account."

He smiled. "No, that will hold up if someone checks." He looked out the window. "People like Marna and her mother would love to shut us down for being a bit...unusual. Even though they use us to further their gains, they wouldn't understand. Marna's mother has been actively looking for things to get us shut down ever since she came here decades ago." He turned to look at her again. "There's some history you need to know, Catherine. That site was correct. The main purpose of this school, and of the Order that houses us, has always been to promote female power. They do so by educating the best young women, and a few young men, to a very high standard. Quite a few of the girls in Red will go on to marry rich men, ones that they'll have to help run their businesses or whatever they do. This in turn gives us more leverage. The girls that leave here and become wives have always been of the highest quality. Think about what it would do to them if the information you have got out."

She nodded. "I can see that. I also know a little about that. I found a history book a week ago while I was down there and it told all about the marriage contracts and all that good stuff." She shrugged. "Don't do it to me and we'll be fine. I'm not going to tell anyone anything."

"We know that, but there will always be people who watch you because you went here. It's a penalty of the education you'll receive. Every girl that comes out of here is watched to see what she becomes."

Catherine sighed. "I'm sure it's a great big thing, Mr. Rayne, but no one watches me. Other than the lady in the candy shop because she doesn't like which color group I belong to." She shrugged at his harsh stare. "They don't. I'm an ignored person. Even when I do something really good, I'm still ignored. I saved two kids from drowning and I was ignored."

He shook his head. "Catherine, no one will ignore you ever again. The fact that you're here has garnered you attention that isn't always flattering. There are people who watch all the students to see what they do, trying to find fault in the littlest of details. They'll do that to you too."

She smiled. "Then I'll get them back," she reminded him. "I'm not one of the shrinking violets. No one can say anything about me liking stories about dragons," she pointed out, waving a hand at her bookshelves, filled with books about fairies, dragons, unicorns, even a few on real subjects. Most of those were her school books though. "If anyone looked, they'd find a long history of daydreaming and fantasizing. I'm one of the safer ones to be able to go find strange places like that site."

"You may be, but you still shouldn't. And you can't in this school." He stood up. "Please don't do it again."

She nodded and opened her email program to send a postcard to her mother, she wanted the rest of her books.

***


Mr. Rayne sat down at the end of the table, looking up at his Headmistress. "I've talked to her, but she insists that she's not one that they'll watch. She claims to have a long history of reading fantasy novels so it's only natural for her to have wanted to search out those sites."

The Headmistress shuddered and her hand went to her abdomen. "Is it true?"

Ms. Pierson, a member of the admissions committee nodded. "It says so on her form and all the background information we have on her does say that she's heavily into fiction. That's probably the reason she took the news of being Chosen so well."

The Headmistress nodded. "Very well. Did you tell her she couldn't anyway, Philip?" He nodded. "Then we'll monitor what she does. Such a strong will must be channeled in the direction we want, not broken. How are her studies going?"

"As we'd expect," Ms. Pierson said, leaning back. "I do have a note for her file. Today, while in town, she picked up a lavender colored crystal. For its color."

The Headmistress smiled. "I'm glad. I've been wondering who was going to be paired with that one. Has she shown any affinity for the horses yet?"

"Celia says every time she tells her to go ride, Catherine refuses."

The Headmistress laughed. "Oh, yes, we need to channel her gradually. Work it out together, please." She heaved herself up, taking her gravid body out of the room.

Mr. Rayne looked at Ms. Pierson. "Elizabeth, should we change some of her classes next semester?"

"She does have Physical Education then. We might be able to work it in during that time. Make her options something she couldn't stand or that."

He nodded. "I'll leave that up to you. I have enough stubborn creatures under my wing." He got up and walked out.

Elizabeth Pierson sighed and waited until she was sure she was alone to start laughing. "Oh, she's a right one all right. She'll be one of the best Chosen yet." She gathered the folder components laying on the table together and left, heading up to her office. She had to pick next year's candidates. Her mother was counting on her.

***


Catherine walked into her Physics class and looked around at all the empty seats. She checked her watch, she was on time. Where was everybody? She looked at the board, hoping for a sign that they had all left, but nothing had been written up there. It was clean. Not even any chalk dust. She sat down and waited, hoping for someone else to come and tell her what was going on. She left for her next class on time, but no one was in that class either. She decided to go find someone and ask them. "Hello," she called, getting the attention of a janitor who was working in the east hall. "Where is everyone? Were classes canceled?"

He smiled at her. "No, ma'am. They're supposed to be going on. Aren't they in their rooms?"

"No, not in either of my last two classes. Physics and Calculus."

He shook his head. "I don't know. Why don't you go to the office?"

She smiled at him. "Thank you. I think I should." She trotted down the hall, she wasn't supposed to be running, but a good trot shouldn't be breaking the rules. She tapped on the office door and walked in, finding Ms. Pierson sitting behind the desk. "Were my Physics and Calculus classes canceled? No one was in the rooms?"

Ms. Pierson looked up at her. "No, dear, they weren't canceled. I'm not sure where they are if they weren't in there." She picked up the phone and dialed a number. After a few minutes she put it back down. "Oh, dear, I don't know where anybody is." She stood up and walked out, Catherine following along behind her. She stopped next to the lunch room, listening. "Well, here's people," she said quietly, walking in and standing against the back wall.

Catherine snuck in with her, listening to Mr. Rayne tell everyone something.

"Today, our Headmistress has gone into seclusion. Her family has been threatened by someone, who is still unknown to us. We advise that all those here, both students and staff, take care and watch yourselves. There is probably nothing to fear but it's best to be safe instead of sorry." He looked back at Ms. Pierson. "I know it was sudden and that not all students were told of this meeting. If you find one who wasn't here, please tell them. Any Scarlets, I need to speak with you after this is over. Reds, you are to return to classes. Blues, you are to go see the Order of Sisters and see if you can help them in anyway since a few of them were also threatened." He stepped back, ending his statement.

The students all filed out, going to where they were supposed to be. The Scarlets walked up to the stage and gathered around to listen.

"Girls," Mr. Rayne said, sitting on the edge of the stage. "For some of you, this will make no sense. Those of you are allowed to go back to class. The rest of you, I need you to go to your partners and check on them." Three-quarters of the girls walked away. Catherine stayed. "For those of you that aren't partnered, we'll have to move that event up." He looked at the five unpartnered people standing around him. "Meet me tonight in the gym. There's no time to waste."

Catherine raised her hand. "Maybe you said this earlier, I missed part of it, but is she okay?"

Mr. Rayne shook his head. "We don't know. I found a message sitting on my pillow this morning. She was threatened and she had to go into hiding. The young ones will have to be guarded. Tonight, you'll find out what part you're going to be playing in that protection." He slid off the stage and landed on the floor. "Anything else?"

Ms. Pierson nodded. "I know there's one that's not here. Diedre is out doing her internship."

"We've already called all the ones that we could find and told them. Some of them are coming back here. The rest are on high alert for whomever is doing this." She nodded. "Any other questions?"

"Sir," Catherine said, "I've heard that the Headmistress does other things, more than running this school. Won't someone have to deal with those things too?"

He smiled at her. "We already have that going on, Catherine. Don't worry about it." He walked through the girls and left the room.

Catherine looked at Ms. Pierson. "Should I go back to class or should I do something else? I could go study if it was all right."

"Do whichever will make you stay calm," Ms. Pierson advised.

Catherine nodded. "I'm going to grab a lunch and go read then. I'll be outside under the trees?" She got another nod and walked off.

Ms. Pierson looked at the other girls. "You know?" she asked them. She got stereo nods. "Good. Then go get yourselves ready. Stay calm, that'll help tonight." She walked away, going back to her duties. Just because the Headmistress had disappeared didn't mean that the school wasn't going to keep going.