Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Fargo is putting folders filled with information on the seats in the meeting room he'd been assigned when a figure comes into view.

“Fargo?” A familiar voice asks.

“Sheriff Carter?” Fargo straightens up, blinking. It can't be. But the figure standing in front of him doesn't change. It's definitely Sheriff Carter, though he's not wearing his uniform.

Carter just continues to blink, Douglas Fargo is the last person he expected to be a Justice Demon.

“You're a Justice Demon also Sheriff Carter?” Fargo asks, handing him a folder. Carter drops into a chair, opening the folder and begins to read, he hadn't been able to get into the special technologies lecture previous conventions, seating is limited and assigned before the convention starts by lottery. He'd been stunned to actually get a seat in this year's lottery.

“Yes,” he says absently. “I became a JD after a bad case with the Marshals, I'm 'retired' to Eureka except for dealing with Evil Thorne, but I'm on call in case I'm needed. You're demonic?”

“Yes, I'm permanently assigned to Global Dynamics to keep lab experiments from going out of control.” He chuckles at Carter's 'you've got to be fucking kidding me' look. “If I wasn't there, things would be a lot worse, instead of daily explosions it would be hourly explosions, and they'd do a lot more damage. I routinely deny a lot of requests because things would quickly get out of control.”

“So are we the only two JD's in Eureka?”

“No, there's one other.” Fargo says, his lips twitching as a familiar figure walks into the room. Nathan Stark had allowed Fargo to set up the lecture today since he'd been running late 'talking' with the DoD about recent events in Eureka. He dislikes having to appear 'dead' in Eureka, he's sure that things are going to be going to hell without his fingers on the pulse of the town. Evil's actions after his 'death' just proved his point, he thought quite nicely, during his meeting.

Stark stops and blinks as he sees a familiar back seated by Fargo, who should have finished putting everything out by now.

“Fargo.” A familiar voice says from the doorway and Carter turns pale before slowly turning in his seat. It can't be. ..

“Stark?”

“Carter?”

Fargo chuckles at the stunned stupid look on the two men and finishes putting out the paperwork as the others file into the room.

After the meeting Stark gives Carter a 'stay here' glare, Carter can't believe he's missed Stark's glowers at him, but he has. It's almost like old times at Global Dynamics, Stark glaring at him across the room while Fargo ducks his head and tries to get everybody to ignore him. Now that Carter knows he's demonic, he can see the 'ignore me' spell on the other man. Stark calmly reaches over and swats him on the back of the head, breaking the spell.

“Carter,” Stark glowers.

“Stark,” Carter glares right back at him.

“Oh for God's Sake,” Fargo finally snaps. The two men turn to look at him. “Will you two kiss already and make up? Stark, Sheriff Carter didn't tell you he's demonic because he didn't know you're demonic. Sheriff Carter, Dr. Stark didn't tell you he was still alive for the same reason. Now kiss each other, take yourselves up to your hotel room Sheriff Carter since Dr. Stark's sharing my room, and go screw each other through the mattress until you're no longer upset. Don't make me call Dr. Blake.” With that last threat Douglas Fargo storms out of the room, muttering under his breath about annoying men who keep pussyfooting around each other. Alexx is passing outside the room on her way to meeting Ducky, Tru, and Quincy to go over Tru's application for a scholarship and she just looks at him.

“Sorry about that Dr.Woods, I've just snapped at two brilliant but fucking clueless men.”

“Dancing around each other?” Alexx asks with a grin, thinking of Horatio and Speed.

“Yes,” Fargo sighs. “Dr Stark is. . .or rather was, head of Global Dynamics. We just found out today that Sheriff Carter is also demonic.”

Alexx blinks, having heard Nathan complain about the annoying Sheriff during the last couple of conventions. “Sooo. . .” she smirks.

“I told them to kiss and make up already, they didn't tell each other they were demonic because they didn't know the other was demonic and to go up to Sheriff Carter's room to 'work out their differences'.” His lips twitch.

“Wild hot monkey sex?” Alexx snickers.

“Basically yes.” Fargo sighs. “Dr Stark is sharing my room, so I'd rather not have to deal with the 'problems' that might cause.”

“Walking in on them?” Ducky asks with a quiet smile.

“Indeed.” Fargo sniffs.

“They could always ask you to join them.” Alexx smirks.

Fargo makes an eeping noise, blushing and quickly hurrying away. Alexx smirks at Ducky before they walk to the hotel restaurant, finding Tru waiting at a table. She looks up at them as they drop into seats on either side of her, taking the menus from the plates and beginning to read as Quincy hurries into the restaurant, looking around until he sees Ducky's familiar head of white hair.

“Sorry I'm late.” he drops into the vacant seat, pulling a large folder out of his briefcase he drops between his and Alexx's seat. “It took me a while to contact the council representatives and have them deliver the paperwork for your scholarship since it's been a while since we've had a JD young enough to be in school, most of our members are older and get a different set of paperwork because they're changing identities. Alexx, Ducky, you two want to act as Tru's sponsors?”

“Of course.” the two say nearly in unison.

“Sponsors?”

“We ask that young demons have sponsors their first few years, this way if they have questions they have somebody they can call. They also have somebody to contact in case of emergencies. This way we can keep things from getting out of hand in case a newbie loses control of their powers. In our line of work, you'll also have somebody to talk to about classes and if you don't want to stay at your present job for your internship, you'll have spots in either Ducky or Alexx's morgue.”

Pulling out the first piece of paper, Tru takes the pen and begins filling it out, looking over when Ducky and Alexx start filling out paperwork of their own. Everybody is done at nearly the same time and hand the folder to Quincy, who whistles quietly. An imp appears and takes the three folders, disappearing from the room. Tru can't help it, she squeaks.

“An imp, the High Council uses them as messengers. I should hear back from them later tonight or tomorrow morning about the scholarship, and I'll have a check for you by the end of the convention. Now let's order?” The waitress comes over at Quincy's signal and they all order, it's going to be a while until the banquet later that night.

After the last of the scheduled meetings that afternoon, people start heading up to their rooms to shower and dress for the dinner that night. Unlike the lectures earlier, this is a formal event and not open to the Justice Demon's guests. Nathan is standing in front of the mirror, whistling softly as he straightens his tie as Fargo enters the room. He glares at Fargo's reflection in the mirror, Fargo just rolls his eyes and walks into the bathroom to shower and change.

In Charlie's room he straightens the lines of his suit jacket, brushing it off before sliding it over his shoulders. He missed having Ted there to help, but the other man was still on parole and couldn't get permission to leave for a convention that he wasn't involved in. Tucking a handkerchief into his pocket and tugging until it is exactly so, he walks from his room to the elevator.

The room next to the elevator opens and the two men from his earlier meeting come out, the younger one fidgeting with the jacket he's wearing while the smaller man isn't dressed any differently than how he had earlier that day. Guerrero smirks at both Chance and Charlie's look and punches the button for the elevator. On the ground floor Guerrero takes Chance's head in his hands, kissing him on the forehead before pushing him in the direction of the hotel's restaurant while he heads down the hall to the banquet room.

Going into the large room, he hands over his ticket, the woman behind the podium at the door taking it and checking his name off on the list, telling him which table he's seated at. Charlie and Guerrero are seated at the same table, along with Fargo, a demon who introduces himself as Nathan Ford, an independent consultant, a demon named Peter Burke who alternately glares at his watch and the doorway, and a young man named Neal Caffrey who takes the last seat just before the doors close. Guerrero had been sniggering for some reason when Ford had introduced himself to the others, it turns out that they've known each other for a few years now. There had been some small talk at the table after the meal had been served but before the speakers begin to speak.

Peter had glared at Neal when he'd took his seat, it's obvious to everybody at the table they know each other. “Relax Peter, you had a call from Elizabeth after you left, that's what took me so long.” Peter stops glaring at the younger man. “How is she?”

“Good, she's got a new client so she's not missing you, though Satchmo is sulking.” Neal sniggers. “I called June while I was upstairs, June's taking her and Mozzie to dinner tonight.”

“Oh god,” Peter moans. Neal snickers. Peter hushes him as the head of the convention stands, tapping his glass to get everybody's attention.

Later that night a man steps to the front of the room, looking at the few demons in the audience. This meeting wasn't scheduled in the handouts, instead only a select few got messages to come at this time, when no other meetings were scheduled to keep from a conflict on other panels. For you see, these are special demons, these demons have taken semi-permanent human partners.

Alexx is there in the front row, she's one of the few demons who not only have children but are actually involved in raising them. Most, like Halfrek, if they become involved with a human, arrange for their human partner to raise the child or put them with foster parents. Sitting next to her is Guerrero, he'd left Christopher upstairs with a 'suggestion' to sleep. Charlie Crews is there also, putting away his phone after talking to Ted. There's only a few others who quietly enter the room, Peter Burke among them..

“I don't know if we all know each other, but we all have something in common. We've all become involved, seriously involved, with humans. I've been doing some research and I have found out something about our human partners.”

“We're not hurting them, are we?” Charlie asks, stunned.

“No, indeed the opposite. Our energies, usually transmitted to them during sex, retards the aging process to a degree and for those of you in dangerous situations, helps them heal faster if they're injured.” Guerrero nods, remembering patching up Chance both before and after they became lovers. What he'd thought, hell what he knew were severe if not life-threatening injuries at the time were far less dangerous when he's finally been able to patch the younger man up. At the time he'd thought he'd just been imagining things or fearing the worst, now he knows that Chance had been that badly injured but was healing faster than normal.

“That explains a few things.” Charlie says quietly. “Ted recently cut his hand, by the time I got to him with the bandages, it was nearly healed.”

“The closer you are to your partner, the faster the healing and the younger they stay. You understand why this information is being kept top secret, only those of us in the room knows it.”

“Yes,” Charlie says. “Not the Justice Demons, but I can see vengeance demons creating a 'harem' as it were of humans, promising them eternal youth.”

“Or unscrupulous humans seeking out Vengeance Demons for their gifts.” Guerrero sighs. “Continued sexual contact keeps humans young and speeds healing?”

The man at the front of the room nods. “Continued contact helps, for those of you who have human associates who are not lovers. .. or families, but sexual contact is stronger.”

Guerrero smirks. “Then Dr. Guerrero is going to go upstairs, wake his 'patient', and give him his 'injection'.” Nodding at the others, he leaves the room. The meeting breaks up soon afterwards, everybody thinking about what had been said as the wards protecting the room from eavesdroppers are removed and the presenter goes to the elevator to meet with his own 'patient' for their 'inoculation'.