Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


 

Quincy sighs and waits for Brice to run out of steam before continuing. “And that is a perfect example of what happens when we can't wipe memories. Sometimes it works for the best and you get a partner who helps you out, one who knows that you're right and will back you to the hilt. Which makes it a lot easier when you have to butt heads with your boss or other officials.”

 

“Hey Quinc, how many times has Astin threatened to fire you?” A voice from the back of the room asks.

 

“Too damn many times,” Quincy sighs. “That's the other part of what you can expect to deal with, your superiors who do not like having to deal with you. I was only fired once, but when it was proved that I had been right I was quickly reinstated. Though I did consider making them squirm by having a lawyer with me talking about lawsuits when they came to ask me to come back to work.”

 

“Always knew you were an evil bastard.” House says with a grin. “I'm so proud.” Quincy smirks at him. “Ducky, you and Alexx are in the position that when you get the bodies, you already know it's a homicide, so you don't have to butt heads with the police to prove you're right.”

 

Alexx sighs. “No, we just have to deal with nosy busybodies who want to get involved in the case, Stetler in my case and the Agency's director for Ducky. I've lost track of how many times I've had to wipe Stetler's memory, any more and he's going to end up rocking in a corner talking to himself. Sad thing is, that would probably be an improvement.”

 

“Indeed, luckily, our director seems more inclined to try to take over Jethro's investigations than to come bother me in the morgue.” Ducky smirks. “It seems she is a bit squeamish, though that does leave me to deal with Palmer and Abby.” Everybody in the room who'd been to the last convention when Ducky had brought her as his guest smile as they remember the young woman.

 

“How is Abby? I was hoping you'd bring her again.” Quincy says, leaning on the podium.

 

“Poor dear couldn't get the time off. Unlike Horatio and his crew, Abby is the only tech for our building so she does it all. She's been asking for a lab assistant for a while, but the Director kept telling her one wasn't needed so she . . . managed.” Everybody who had met her when Ducky had brought her remember the goth young woman running around, pigtails bouncing as she follows Ducky sucking on one of her ever present kaf-pows. She'd ended up sneaking in to every lecture she could, even those Ducky wasn't signed up for but her enthusiasm and a few ideas she'd thrown out had endeared her to everybody. Quincy had briefly toyed with the idea of bringing her back to the Los Angeles coroners lab but realized that Astin would kill him. And while it wouldn't be permanent, dying still hurts.

 

“I've heard horror stories about your new Director,” Alexx says, turning to look at Ducky. “Is she as bad as they say?”

 

“It's probably worse, I'm sad to say. She put a new team member on Gibbs crew without his permission or approval, young Ziva is trying to fit in but it was a rough few months, her attitude is grating, she always tries to control the investigation taking over Anthony's position as second in command, and the fact that her brother is the one who killed Caitlin does not make in any easier on her. Unfortunately Madam Director,” Ducky's lips twitch despite himself, “did not stop there. She tried to make Abby dress like she does.” Everybody in earshot moan or snicker. “It did not last long, Abby is back to her normal clothes. She also finally gave Abby a lab assistant. Unfortunately, the lab assistant didn't have any credentials and framed Anthony for murder because he'd gotten him fired from a previous job for falsifying results. Abby ended up tying him up in her lab with duct tape. So Abby is back to doing all the building's lab work, but it works for her. Unfortunately, Abby had a stalker earlier, her former boyfriend ended up kidnapping her. Jethro and his team came to her rescue to find Abby standing over him with a taser.” The door opens and Stella comes walking in, pausing by Ducky to whisper in his ear. He looks at her, holding her gently for a minute. “I'm so sorry, my dear.” he says, taking the slip of paper she hands him. “I'm . . . working on it.” she says before walking back out. “Sorry Quincy, I went through something like Abby did earlier this year. I gave Ducky my number if she wanted to talk, sometimes it helps when the other person went through the same thing.”

 

“Are you okay, honey?” Alexx asks, standing up and wrapping her arms around Stella.

 

“I'm . . . working on it.” Stella says again. “Like being an alcoholic, you take it day by day.”