Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:

AU for Buffy, No Anya, No Tara, The Initiative happened but Spike and Oz wasn't captured.

 

AU for Avengers--In my little world, Buffy was rescued by Clint and Natasha, he was there when Steve woke up and is part of the team.


 

The next morning she wakes up to the smell of food, coming out of her room to find Xander making breakfast.

 

"Morning Dawnnie, everything will be ready in a few minutes. You've got time for a quick shower and to get dressed."

 

"What are your plans for the day?"

 

"I've got to head into town and get some clothes for work, then we'll head into Portland for more clothes for you. I talked to Giles after you went to bed and he's going to be depositing money in your account every couple of weeks for whatever you need."

 

They drive past the school so Dawn can look it over.

 

"Larger than Sunnydale's."

 

"Most of the kids will be working for GD, so they offer more classes than 'normal' schools. Not I'd consider Sunnydale's school normal."

 

Xander parks in a space near where they'd parked yesterday and Dawn squeaks when she sees a car without a driver pulling up next to them.

 

"Smart cars, no driver needed. But you'll only see them around town." A boy about Dawn's age gets out. "Dawn Summers, this is Harry Potter."

 

"Miss Summers, I hate to tell you this but . . ." Tesla's principal says a couple days later.

 

"Sunnydale's school was awful, it was just a holding pen until you could be eaten. Yeah, I try to read real textbooks but I know I'm pretty far behind. I already knew I'd have a hard time catching up."

 

"I'd place you in the ninth grade if you were a student here. Your school did not offer many of our core classes."

 

"Damn. . .worse than I thought." Dawn sighs. "Time to pull my big girl pants on. . .what do I need to do?"

 

"We'll get you textbooks for that year and we'll set up a tutoring schedule for you. We have a permanent tutoring room set up at Tesla, you'd be there for the rest of the school year and through the summer. By the time school started you might be in your true grade if you worked hard at it."

 

"I will Principal Smith, Mommy wanted one of us girls to make something of ourselves. Buffy's just coasting through college."

 

"Do you know what you want to do with your life?"

 

"Giles says I have a gift for languages, and I liked reading history so maybe something in that area."

 

"Now . . .magic?"

 

"I know I'm talented but Willow and my sister had special girl syndrome and didn't want anybody but them having gifts. Giles tested me but I need a real teacher."

 

"We'll get you the beginning books. Xander is taking the same lessons."

 

"Ha, I always thought magic going weird around him was Willow being a bitch and making sure everybody knew only she's good enough to have magic."

 

"Well then, welcome to Tesla school Dawn." She shakes Principal Smith's hand and they head out of the woman's office.

 

"Now, do you have an area set up where you can work?"

 

"Yes, we've got a basement set up as a study I'm sharing with Xander, he's gone one side and I've got the other."

 

"Bookcases?"

 

"Five empty. I thought Xander was going overboard when he had a dozen delivered."

 

"Good, then I'll give you all your books now instead of handing them out as you need them so you can read ahead." They go to a stockroom and Dawn shakes her head in dismay at the sheer number of books on the shelves. A couple of containers are brought out and they start filling them with books from that and another room and supplies from two more rooms. Harry comes along and shrinks the containers after Dawn gets her schedule for tutoring and a week's assignments, putting them in his pocket.

 

"That is damn handy."

 

"Now, do you have a book bag?" Principal Smith asks.

 

"We're stopping to pick up one, more supplies, and a cell phone for her, Principal Smith."

 

"Thank you for helping Harry." She pats him on the shoulder.

 

"I went through this last year when I came from Hogwarts, knowing somebody else who went through the same thing might make it a little easier."

 

"What are your plans for the rest of the day?"

 

"After we get her other supplies, Dr. Blake plans on getting her a tutor for magic. I'd suggest Remus, he's got a good hand for teaching but. . ."

 

"But what?" Dawn asks.

 

"He's a werewolf. He's not dangerous. . ." Harry says to reassure her.

 

"So?" Dawn says. "So is Oz and he was one of my favorite babysitters."

 

"Oz?"

 

"Daniel Osbourne, he was a year ahead of us in school but he's a bit of a slacker and had to repeat his senior year. He left after graduation, heading to Tibet to learn how to control the wolf. Xander and the others locked him in the book cage of the library during the three nights he changed and wolf sat him with rifles with trank darts so he didn't get out and chomp on the citizens. Is this a friend of yours?"

 

"Yes, he's an honorary uncle. . .he was one of the marauders with my godfather and Dad. He taught for a year at Hogwarts but the European wizarding community has a problem with werewolves and he had to leave when a teacher let it slip. Of course that might have been Dumbledore's plan all along."

 

"Probably, from what Xander said he had ten different plans going at the same time."

 

"And getting rid of Remus meant I didn't have anybody who was solely on my side to rely on for advice. Sirius was a wanted fugitive after escaping Azkaban and nobody else believed that Albus had anything to hide, he had to be doing everything he was for the greater good. . .nobody could see what that was is all."

 

"Bunch of damn sheep, but Sunnydale had it's own problems ignoring what was in front of them while somebody led them around by the nose." Dawn snorts. They walk the couple of blocks to the 'center' of town, walking into an electronics store.

 

"Is there anything wrong with your phone Harry?" the young woman behind the counter asks.

 

"No, but Dawn needs one of her own." They go over the plans and Dawn looks at the laptops, one being handed to her.

 

"I can't. . ."

 

"It's part of the supplies for school, they don't have them at the school because the store has the programs you need." Harry says. The bags of phone, laptop, case, and other supplies go in the back of the car and they select a bag for her in another store before they drive to GD, Dawn squeaking as they go through the image projected to hide GD from people who don't know it's there.

 

"Yeah, I nearly freaked out the first time we went through the image, even with trusting Dr. Stark, Dr. Blake, and Sheriff Carter. You get used to it after a while." They pull up at the guard shack where their ids are scanned and they pull into a parking lot.

 

"Hello Dawn, are you ready to start school?" Dr. Blake asks when they enter the office.

 

"I think so, I have all my books, assignments for the next week, a new cellphone and computer. . ." she looks at Harry. Dr. Blake chuckles. "Yes, the laptop is part of your school supplies."

 

"I don't want to spend all Giles money."

 

"If you want, you are old enough to get a part-time job here or in town but I'd rather you spend that time on your studies."

 

"So would I, I know how far behind Sunnydale's school system was and I'm going to be working hard to keep up."

 

"Has Harry talked to you about a tutor for magic?"

 

"Yes, he mentioned his 'uncle' Remus. I don't have any problems with a werewolf, Oz is a werewolf and he was one of my favorite babysitters."

 

"Good, I was going to suggest him. Harry, why don't you go get him. He's helping out in the history section." Harry hurries off and returns fifteen minutes later with Remus, finding Dawn and Allison talking. They go off to talk in an empty room and Nathan looks at Allison.

 

"That's not a normal witch."

 

"No, she's too powerful. And it's not just because she spent so long on the Hellmouth. She doesn't know though."

 

"And there's no reason to tell her."

 

"Not unless something happens."

 

Dawn takes a deep breath the following Monday morning, walking into her new school and walking to the tutoring room, settling at a table and bringing out her books and the assignments she'd been working on.

 

The next couple of months pass quietly and she cries out one day in the middle of her tutoring session with Remus.

 

"What's going on?" Harry yells. He comes over from the table where he's studying for taking his American and European OWLS next month.

 

"Somebody is attacking her magically." Remus turns the attack back on the person casting the spell, a wolf's smile crossing his face when he can hear a scream of rage and pain.

 

"Willow!" Buffy screams. "What's going on?"

 

"I. . .I tried grabbing Xander and Dawn for you, somebody stopped me." She tries again and screams in agony as magical fire envelopes her.

 

"But I need Xander here." She whines in New York, looking at the vampires and demons attacking the city. "This is all his fault. If he and. . ."

 

"Will you grow the hell up you stupid little bitch." A male voice snaps.

 

"What's her problem?" Bucky asks Tony as he comes over to the man.

 

"She pushed everybody away because she's special and they're normal. Now she needs them because it's hard without people backing her up and everybody told her to kiss her ass. Her bestest buddy Rosenberg just tried summoning everybody back and the magic fried her useless ass when it was turned back on her."

 

Bucky slaps her, thankfully not with his prosthetic arm. "Grow the fuck up you stupid selfish bitch. Me, me, me it's all about me. You didn't like anybody around you who was normal then when they left you realized just how much work they did and you guessed you needed them around you after all and had your bitch friend there try to grab them."

 

"But they left me." Buffy whines.

 

"You sent them away with you damn brat selfish attitude. Because you and that damn bitch were special." Tony sneers. She lunges for him and gets slapped down by Bucky. She lays on the ground whining. They look at each other, turn, and walk away. Either she'll grow up or she'll be killed. She had backup and threw it away, no real fighter does that. They either quickly learned or died.

 

"I was expecting Steve."

 

"Steve would have been too soft on her, he would have treated her as a girl not a soldier. He's off with Clint evacuating people."

 

Dawn wakes up in the infirmary, finding Xander sleeping in a bed next to her while Dr. Blake, Dr. Stark, and Remus talk.

 

"She's awake."

 

"What happened?"

 

"Somebody tried summoning you and I turned the attack back on them."

 

"Willow, probably she and Buffy finally realized we had left and she couldn't have that. Buffy doesn't want normal people around but she wanted us there to praise her and do everything she didn't want to . .. because she's special." Xander snorts in the next bed. He holds his head and sighs as Dr. Blake injects something into his iv.

 

"Probably, it sounds like something a spoiled brat like her would . . ." Nathan's voice trails off as Carter hustles into the room. They all look at him.

 

"Major battle in New York, rumor is it vampires and demons attacked a number of buildings. You had a call from Tony Stark." Nathan grabs his phone and walks into the hallway. His eyes are dark when he comes back into the room.

 

"Xander, Dawn. . .I have bad news."

 

"Buffy and Willow?"

 

"Gone, it seems there has been a demon lord planning to take out Manhattan. Somebody in the know located your sister and Willow in Sunnydale and brought them out. The attack on you two was Willow trying to bring you to them. . .because Buffy found out being the Slayer was hard without backup." Dawn snorts and rolls her eyes, trying to sit up and weaving until Remus lays her back down in the bed. "They had a few hours before the attack to try to evacuate the general area but they weren't able to save everybody. They're moving all the bodies to a morgue and will need somebody to formally identify the bodies when they find them."

 

"I'll do it."

 

"We'll both do it."

 

"You won't be out of here until tomorrow morning. I'll make the arrangements for somebody to fly you out tomorrow and for a rental car to be waiting on you."

 

"I'll go to your house and pack clothes for a couple days." Harry says from the doorway. "And pack a bag of books and assignments for you Dawn."

 

"Thank you Harry."

 

"Where do we go and who do we talk to when we get there. It's not like Sunnydale."

 

"Our grandson Tony will meet you at the morgue. He works with another of your brothers. . ." Dr. Blake's voice trails off as Dawn yawns and goes back to sleep.

 

Tony is nudged by Steve when a pair of young people. . . and god when had teens and early twenties become young he thinks walks into the morgue and comes over to the tables.

 

"I can do this Dawnnie." The male says.

 

"No, this is my job. Buffy's still my sister even if she did lose her damn mind thanks to dyeing her hair for so long." Tony snickers despite himself. "The bleach had to seep in, that's the only excuse for her decline into stupidity?"

 

"STD? Some of them rot the brain if they're not treated."

 

"Wouldn't be surprised with her dating history. What was Willow's excuse?"

 

"Her parents are psychiatrists, they left her alone for long periods of time. She's a genius, that makes her better than everybody else. She's got an addictive personality and the power to do whatever she wanted, if it wasn't magic it would have been drugs or booze." Steve looks at Tony who nods. "That's why so many tycoons and others have three martini business lunches. And why so many kids who had money their entire lives blow it because they never had to work for it."

 

Dawn pulls back the sheet, revealing Buffy's face. She kisses her forehead and covers her back up. "Yes, this is my sister Buffy Summers." She turns to the other table where Xander is looking at Willow's body.

 

"Do you know where her parents are?"

 

"No, they hadn't been back home for a couple years before we left." Dawn says absently.

 

"Christ." Steve breaths as Tony winces. He'd gone through the same thing with his parents before their deaths. "Their schedule should be in Willow's house somewhere, if not their tour schedule is online."

 

"Are you going back to Sunnydale? You were talking to Giles the other night." Dawn asks when they've left the morgue and gone to Avengers Tower.

 

"Tony killed Jessica in a drunken fight then shot himself. Giles is looking over everything in the house to see if it's worth saving or just sell everything to try to cover their outstanding debts."

 

"No savings?"

 

"They ran through their checks as soon as they got them. They didn't own the house either, and the car's a piece of shit. They disowned me when I refused to pay for the privilege of living in their basement so nobody can come after me legally. I already put a notice in the paper for two weeks before and after I left that I wasn't covering their debts to cover my ass legally. Not even Sunnydale's courts could come after me. At least not for the piddling bribe somebody could come up with."

 

"Since Sunnydale's court is just as corrupt as the cops." Dawn nods. "And the school system isn't any better."

 

Steve shakes his head. "Okay, what do we need to do to claim the bodies?"

 

"Not to be rude but do you have the money to bury them?"

 

"Mommy put money aside for her and Buffy's funerals when she got sick and found out Buffy was the Slayer. Not that the watchers would have taken care of that."

 

"Willow's got parents, they can get off their asses and actually act like parents for once in their lives." Xander snorts.

 

"These?" Tony shows him a website.

 

"Yep, that's them."

 

"The police can call out there and have somebody alert them. How long has it been since they saw their daughter?" He sends an e-mail to the authorities with the information.

 

"Years? They didn't come back for graduation, and that was three years ago. Of course they were furious that Willow attended UC sunnydale instead of the schools that her mother had applied to in her name. How dare she make her own decisions? She could have gone to Oxford, she should have gone to Oxford."

 

"They shouldn't be psychiatrists, they need psychiatrists." Somebody mumbles behind them.

 

"Not the first set of parents that tried to run their kids lives instead of letting them do it themselves."

 

"That's why some people should not be parents."

 

Xander's on the phone. "Giles? Yeah, it's Buffy. And Willow. Somebody's going to be contacting her parents. . .Cover story?"

 

"The building that was attacked was full of university students from various schools across the country. Either touring the museum or acting as volunteers for credit towards classes."

 

"Hear that? Yeah, that can be spun if they bother to show up. It's summer, they might have been there getting ready for their classes this fall. Yes, yes Giles I'm enrolled in university, I start this fall. I'm getting in my mandatory classes then start the speciality next year or year after that. Engineering, with a dual major in mechanical and chemical. No. . .not to blow up buildings better." He sighs as Dawn snickers. "I'm working on a space program Giles, experimenting with creating a lighter vehicle for eventual space exploration." Tony looks at him. Xander holds a hand over his phone. "Our Stark says to quit ignoring your e-mail until Pepper throws something at your head. He wants your input in it, the DoD is talking to your Agent Coulson since they hate dealing with you almost as much as they do him." Tony preens. Then yelps as Xander reaches over and smacks him upside the head. "From Dr. Blake for being a manipulative brat, she knows she taught you better than that." He pouts as Steve coughs to hide his laughter. Bucky and Clint don't even bother.

 

"So who's Dumbledore's kid here? Not Stark if Dr. Blake raised him." Dawn asks.

 

"Captain America if he's the real Steve Rogers and not somebody wearing the suit." He stiffens and glares at him, Bucky grabbing his arm. "Relax, I'm another of his bastard children." Bucky looks at the pair and can see a hint of resemblance now. Though he knows Stark will be demanding proof. So will Stevie.

 

"Your mother went to a school for magic?" Dawn looks at him.

 

"Adopted."

 

"Ahhhh, that makes more sense. 'Cause the only thing more scary than your parents with magic would have been a magical Buffy in her airhead persona."

 

"Dumbledore?"

 

"Murdered nearly two years ago, all his shit came out in the European wizarding world and they're stunned at everything he did for the greater good." Xander sneers. "So was it your magic that allowed the supersoldier stuff to take?"

 

"And protected me while I was frozen for seventy years. Are you the youngest?"

 

"Of the adult children, the younger kids are just that. . .kids. Including a baby that that's turning one in a couple months, his mother was pregnant when Dumbledore was murdered. Has anybody been keeping an eye on the European community and their war?" Natasha nods. "Hermione Granger."

 

"I'd have thought she had more sense than that." She says sourly.

 

"But he's the 'great' Albus Dumbledore and she always obeys teachers and other people in power." Xander drawls sarcastically. "She thought she'd be able to leave Hogwarts, have the baby in America over the summer and attend an American school because she's one of the smartest students at Hogwarts. She didn't realize how far behind the other schools Hogwarts was thanks to his manipulations. She had to repeat her fifth year since she left early when they realized she was pregnant, she's trying to do two years in one to both graduate with the others and save her parents money, even with the fund the ICW created tuition is still two to three times what it was before."

 

"What happened?"

 

"A long story. Short version is Harry Potter was the last heir to a fund created to help defray the costs of Hogwarts, as long as a heir attended school the fund was good. The former minister of magic Fudge demanded Harry Potter return to Hogwarts where he was gone Christmas day visiting his newfound family. If he didn't return immediately he'd make sure Harry never attended Hogwarts again."

 

"Moron."

 

"The new headmistress called his bluff and said that your grandfather would have no problems enrolling him in Eureka's school, that broke the contract and the remaining money went to Harry. When people found out what happened they wanted to lynch the bastard."

 

"And the long version?" Tony asks dryly.

 

"Harry's our nephew." Xander looks at Steve. "Seems dear old Dad impersonated Harry's grandfather to knock up his grandmother. Petunia was born a squib so he did it again and this time Lily was born with magic."