Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Xander looked at the wreck of a car, frowning. "This was driven?"

"It was but I can't see how," Eric admitted. Xander wiggled into the front seat and into position. He was leaned back but you could see. "We can't find any prints of who had it. The VIN leads back to the fact it was a safety tester car and scrapped afterward. Looks like someone was buying it to fix back up."

Xander wiggled. "You can't find the ignition this way. You'd have to look. Did we print it?" Eric nodded. "Did we do skin and DNA swabs?" Eric looked at him. "How many times have you had to look down to see where the key goes?"

"About a third of the time I get in." He got him some swabs. "Here you go." Xander shifted to swab the areas. He even let him deliver the swabs to see if there was anything on them. Eric got in there to print the places Xander had touched with his gloved hands. He hadn't been able to figure out how to get into the car, much less out. Now he knew. You wiggled like you were dancing.

Xander came back an hour later. "There be DNA. Nothing else. Only one swab had anything." Eric smiled and he handed it over. "We have a heavy breather who had some mucus.

Eric cheered and smiled, looking it over. "It's a suspect. Let's go talk to him." Xander nodded and walked off with him. "No flirting either."

"Of course not. I'm looking for more serious than playmate but not permanent boyfriend material now."

"Good. I'll introduce you to some people I know." It would calm him down. He saw the new guy talking to a few patrol officers. "Are you coming or not?" he called. "You're Xander's intern and he's on my case now. Get your jacket." He ran to do that and came back. Xander grinned at him. "It'll be fine."

"I'd hope so." He smiled at Jessup when he ran into him. "Hi," he said quietly, giving him a hopeful look. The guy hugged him and he finished relaxing. "They're okay?"

"They understand it wasn't your doing. They know your daddy's a Marine and they expect you to open cans of whoop ass on people now if they attack you. We won't worry about you as much anymore." He let him go. "There, now go work. The new rookie's annoying."

"Calleigh locked him out," he muttered, getting a smile. "We're going to talk to someone. Be back later." He got into the back of the hummer. "So, what do we have on him? I printed without reading."

"We have one juvie arrest that's sealed. He was a pretty young kid. Probably shoplifting and he did community service. So let's see if he had a hit and run." He drove them off, glancing at the rookie. "You can ask questions to get up to date on the case, Parsons."

"The crashed car, right?"

"Right. That one."

"How would you drive that?"

"The wheels are clear, the engine ran," Eric offered. "Xander figured out how you'd sit."

"I'm guessing but I'd think he had bought it to fix it up again," Xander told him. "A lot of guys do that." They pulled into a nice driveway and he smiled. "Yeah, he's a car guy. Tony has that same toolchest." He got out and followed Eric to the door, getting a confused looking woman.

"Ma'am, is Neal home?" Eric asked politely. "We'd like to ask him about a car we think he's acquainted with."

"He's in the garage somewhere. If not, he's at the store. Is this about the one he reported stolen?"

"Quite possibly," Eric agreed. She nodded and pointed. They walked back to the garage, not finding him so they waited.

Parsons looked at Xander. "You're gay?"

"Yes. I am. Technically I'm bi. I've had women but I only dated deadly women who wanted to kill me." He shrugged. "I gave up since I liked men more anyway."

"Don't you know that's wrong?"

"Not by what I believe. If you do, then you can talk to Horatio so he can arrange it so you don't work with me very often."

"Hate to tell you this, kid, but a good eighth of the department is gay or bi," Eric told him. "You've worked with at least one other." He went pale at that. "Get over it and grow up. Your personal opinions are not part of the job. I don't like the guys Xander dates, I think he's got bad taste, but that doesn't mean I can't work with him and he's got a lot he can teach you if you'd listen." He looked at the kid coming up the driveway on a bike. "Neal?" He waved him in. "Delko, Harris, and Parons with the crime lab. We wanted to talk to you about a car."

"The one I reported stolen?"

Xander looked in the file. "I didn't find mention of that. Do you know the plate number?" A copy of the report was found in a drawer and handed over. "Thank you." He read it over while Eric took the lead.

"Do you know this car?" Eric asked, showing him a picture.

"Um. No. Not right off. Why?"

"Your DNA was found on the ignition," Xander told him, looking at him. "This is a Caddy, Eric." He handed it over. "That one was a junked safety tester model. During an examination of it, we found your DNA on it. Can you explain that?"

"Can I see the picture again?" It was handed over. "Um, maybe. My friend Rod went to the junkyard to get a new fixer car. You know, something to tinker with on the weekends? You can get them for like two hundred bucks there. I crawled all over it to see what he needed. Where was it?"

"Right around the key hole," Eric said, taking notes into the file. "Like you were bending closer while you put the key in."

"I've done that," he agreed, still frowning. "Like I said, I crawled all over it. How did you know it was mine?"

"Your juvie record. A swab was taken at the same time as your fingerprints," Xander told him.

"Oh." He nodded at that. "Um, well. You might check with Rod. He lives up the street. Was it abandoned or something? I knew it had a working engine but structural damage."

"It was abandoned, right next to a body that had been hit by it," Eric told him.

"Definitely not me. I shoplifted some candy," he said quietly. "I paid it off, guys."

"That's why we're doing this in the garage instead of downtown," Xander assured him, giving him a look. "Anyone else who might've had access to the keys?"

"Only Rod. He only got it a few days back."

"Thank you. Which house?"

"The peach hacienda." He pointed. "He ran over someone?"

"We're not sure yet," Xander said. "Do not call him when we leave." The boy nodded. "Thank you for your help and we'll check impound with the report later." That got a smile. "Parsons." He walked out after them. "Good lead," he said quietly. "We walking?"

"It's only four houses. We can," Eric decided, heading that way with him. Someone inside came running out of the house and took off up the street. "Hey!" The man looked at him and put on more speed. "Go get him, Parsons." He ran after the kid at a jog. Xander shook his head and took off as well, one hand on his gun to keep it in place while he ran. He pounced the guy, bringing him down. Eric caught up and Parsons did eventually. "You've got to do better, Parsons." He looked at the kid. "Are you Rod?" He shook his head, looking scared. "Did you do anything with this car?" he asked, holding up the picture."

"No, sir, I thought this was about the hacking stuff," he wailed.

"No, kid, that's the FBI," Xander told him. "I know a few I can call if you don't talk." He stood up him and dusted him off efficiently. "Now, you knew something about that car. Your eyes moved away from the picture when you were shown it. Give."

"I swear, I don't."

"If you're lying, you can be considered an accomplice," Xander noted coolly. "Last chance."

He swallowed and looked at them. "We wanted to see if the engine ran and took it out."

"Who's we?" Eric demanded.

"Rod and me. He's my big brother. We laid it down on a little country road. Then we hit a deer. Rod hustled me into a cab and away from there, we left the car and the deer there."

"Parsons, take him to the hummer and sit him in the back," Xander ordered, handing him over. "We'll verify his story downtown." That got a nod and he walked the kid off. They went to find Rod. Their mother was standing in the doorway. "Ma'am, your son just admitted to being at the scene of an accident and fleeing, plus hacking," Xander said grimly. "He said he hit a deer. There was a dead girl instead." She went pale. "We need to speak to Rod about this as well."

"He's in the bathroom. He's been there a lot," she said grimly.

"He probably shielded his brother, but we'll be taking him downtown to take his statement and see what happens," Eric said more gently. "Please?" She nodded, letting them inside. This was clearly stupid, panicking kids instead of malicious acts. They found the kid getting sick.

Xander squatted down beside him, moving his hair off his sweaty forehead. "My first kill I puked too," he said quietly. The kid gave him a horrified look. "Deer?" He shook his head, looking miserable. "Rinse and spit, brush your teeth. We're going to talk downtown. Your mother can follow us."

"She'll kill me."

"She already knows, kiddo," Eric told him. "We'll have to see what happens." The kid was helped up and brushed his teeth, gargling mouthwash as well. Then they led him out.

"What were you hacking?" Xander asked. The kid moaned. "I ask because I know a hacker. Virus, sites, games?"

"Games. Hacking games to make them free for whoever wants them. The game designers are already paid and the companies make too much off innocent kids. They're greedy. They're in it to suck the blood out of us."

"They are. That's the capitalist system," he agreed. He put him into the back. "Parsons?" He came back. "Into the back." He slid in to drive. Eric got shotgun. The rookie got the back with the two kids. "I will make you two a deal. We will go talk about the wreck. I will not ask anything about the hacking. I will not call my contacts in DC about you hacking those games. That is me though." That got a nod. "The rest is up to Eric. He's the guy beside me." He flipped on some music and grimaced. "Who was in here last?" he complained. "Polka?"

"I think Speed did it to frustrate Horatio," Eric said dryly. "He needed stress relief recently."

"Yay. I'm here." He pulled back onto the main road and headed back to the station. "Are we agreed, boys? You'll give us the truth and let us talk to the DA's for you? You can still have lawyers or your parents present if you want. Rod, you're how old?"

"Seventeen, sir. Chad's only fifteen."

"Then you'll need a parent or someone to act in your interests anyway. That should be a parent."

"She'll kill us," Chad moaned.

"I told her, she hasn't yet and she's right behind us," Eric offered. "We'll see what comes out." They nodded. "Do you three have a deal?" They nodded. "Good. Thank you. Lying makes us cranky." They pulled into the station and walked the two kids inside, past Horatio. "H, you're needed." He nodded and followed with the parent. Eric stopped them. "We made a deal with them," he told the parent and Horatio. "Xander and I will not ask a thing about their hacking as long as they tell us the truth and don't try to BS us. You're still going to be in there. They can still have a lawyer and everything. Right now, the truth will be better for both boys. Your younger son may not be in as much trouble."

The mother nodded. "That's reasonable. They're hacking?"

"They're very anti game corporation," Eric said with a small smirk. "They're hacking them to get free registry keys."

"That'll stop too," she assured them. "I can call them a lawyer?"

"Yes, before they say a word," Horatio agreed. "Eric?"

"Hit and run. The younger son said his brother told him it was a deer. They were out to try out the new tinkering project's engine."

"So they planned to rebuild it but they wanted to test out the engine, going for a joy ride. How old?"

"Seventeen and fifteen," the mother said. She pulled out her phone, calling their father. "It's me. We're at the police station. No, apparently that new junker you bought with them was taken for a ride already and they hit someone." Eric nodded. "It's bad. They're not going to mention the hacking at this moment that Chad admitted to before he realized what they were there for. I'm going in. That was the deal. They wouldn't lie and they wouldn't do anything with the hacking."

"It's possible that they could deal for a lighter sentence or simple probation," Horatio offered. "Depending on what they say and what the evidence shows." Eric handed over the folder. He nodded, it was pretty clear cut. "The DNA sample?"

"He admitted he crawled all over it for them to see if it was able to be rebuilt," Eric offered.

She hung up and nodded. "If you're talking about Neal? He did. He did it in our driveway. Is he in trouble?"

"We found his DNA in there. As long as he wasn't involved in the crash he has nothing to worry about."

"Good. He's a good kid. Tinkering with cars keeps him out of trouble." She sighed and looked at her sons. "How bad are we looking at?"

"At the worst?" Horatio offered. "Vehicular or involuntary manslaughter, ma'am. At the best, probation. At least for the driver. The passenger, if he didn't know and therefore couldn't help, probably just a warning."

She nodded. "The sad thing is, Chad was probably driving." She walked in there, sitting across from them. "Which one of you was driving?" Chad slowly raised his hand. "You didn't look at what you hit?"

"I looked out the window, momma," Rod said, starting to sniffle. "I was trying to protect him."

"Then we'll see what we can do, but you're both in very serious trouble. If I had known about this, I would've brought them your mutilated corpses, boys. You'll be honest, you'll do your punishments, and then we'll move on as a family somehow. Your father is coming down." Both boys blanched at that. "Being honest will probably keep him away from you at least for a few hours. We'll be making a deal." They nodded. "Thank you." She looked at Xander. "You're very young."

"I'm a last year intern," he said quietly. "This is my second summer interning here, ma'am."

"Then someone obviously raised you right."

"My father's a Marine."

"Military school. That's a good idea." She glared at her boys, both of who nodded at that and slunk down. "Hacking?"

"Not in here," Xander warned. "Anything they say in here can be used against them in a court of law. I've already read their rights to them once they were sitting in here."

"Thank you." He nodded and left them alone for a minute, letting Horatio have it since this case was going to take some skillful bargaining with one of the ADA's. She looked at him. "It's not ideal."

"It never is," he agreed. Someone knocked and Horatio opened the door, letting in an older man. "Their attorney or their other parent?"

"Both. Richard Haslet, I usually do estates." He glared at his boys. "They were read their rights?"

"The nice young CSI intern with the dark hair said he did it while we talked," she assured him. Both boys nodded. "They have a deal in place that we won't mention their computer gaming issues and they won't lie. The other one there will try to help us with the DA's office if they agree."

"Good." He looked at him. "You're a full CSI or a detective?"

"Lieutenant Caine. I run the lab. My people brought it to me because it does look like an accident so far and I can bargain better."

"It was, I swear it was," Chad said, looking at him. "I didn't want to hit anyone! Rod looked and told me it was a deer. If I had known it had been a person, I'd have helped. I didn't want to kill anyone, sir, really." He turned pale and Horatio helped him to the trash can.

"That explains why you've been sick, Rod," his father noted. He nodded slumping down more. "Sit up." His son sat up. "Thank you. May we have a moment?" Horatio nodded and let him talk to both boys about what had happened. He opened the door a minute later. "Can I see the evidence?"

It was handed over. "Only one thing pointed at someone else."

"Neal. He was helping us. It's not unusual to find DNA from that I'm sure." Horatio shook his head. "Is he in trouble?"

"As long as he wasn't in the car, no."

"No, they said he wasn't. Can you get us someone to talk deal with? Before they make a statement?"

"I can. Let me call. Wait in here and I'll send him some water." He went to do that, nodding at Eric. It had been a good sign that both boys had been sick about this and they were willing to cooperate. It meant this was the only time they'd be seeing them and with a nice ADA and judge, they could seal their juvenile records when they turned eighteen.

***

Xander walked outside later that afternoon, sighing and tipping his face up to enjoy the sun and wind. "Nice breeze. Good breeze." He heard a cough and looked over at the new rookie. "What's up, Probie?"

"You're a Fed?"

"No, my father's a Fed. I've interned with him." He lifted his face again. "NCIS is a lot more demanding than it is here. Horatio's downright understanding when things take time."

"They know you're gay?" he asked bitterly.

"He's known since he found me at sixteen."

"Oh." He considered it. "It's still wrong."

"And that's still an opinion and this job is not about opinions, hunches, or gut instinct. It's about facts. The fact is, I'm a damn good CSI. I had three summers plus many afternoons up there before I came down here last year to do my first official internship for my college courses. I came in very well trained from up there." He looked at him again. "A word of advice, probie. If you let your opinions and emotions cloud the job, you're going to find yourself a bitter person because people are human and they won't ever live up to your full expectations. You'll also get burned out very quickly because we deal with the scum of society and sometimes nicer people like earlier. They were two scared kids who had not a clue how serious what they did was. Eric and I agreed on that point. Calleigh might've read them the riot act and not gone as far as we did. She'd have talked to the DA's office but they'd probably be up on hacking charges too. Those are federal and the boys would be doing time for it. You'll learn to grow some instincts that'll tell you when it's a bad thing done by bad people or an accident or something like self defense. And then you'll start to trust them. Every now and then they're still wrong. Even Horatio has the wrong instinct now and then. You'll learn if you can keep your biases off the job. The more you bias things with your opinions and emotions, the more likely you are to end up being charged for tampering with evidence to make it fit your view of what happened instead of letting the evidence speak as it should."

"Last summer....."

"I know about last summer, I was there."

"You were in the labs when that guy was attacked?"

Xander stared at him for a minute. "No, I'm the guy they attacked." He went pale and backed off. "All I did was defend myself. That's the worst case scenario of what happens if you let your emotions and biases rule you during a case. I let mine rule me so I could get onto the gay bashing case. I knew very well some of the community wouldn't talk to the police for fear of being ignored or biased against, or even outed." He moved closer. "The one thing you will need on this job is the ability to deal with people. No matter who and what they are. I don't care if they're sleeping with their cat. If they're a victim, we speak for them, even if it does make us want to bathe in bleach to do so. If they're a suspect we act against them, even if they're the Pope and a saint. Understood?"

That got a nod. "Good. That's the most important lesson you will learn. It's a hard one. It's one we all struggle to deal with. The same as we all struggle to deal with child murder and abuse cases. The same as most of us struggle with rape cases because we want to hurt the person who did it. After your summer here, take the rest of the summer and think about whether or not you can do this every day for the next thirty years. Because that's what they want out of you. Every day, every year. No matter what the case is, you've got to go on. Even if it squicks you. Even if it makes you hurl. You've got to be there to speak for those who can't or won't. No matter if they're a saint or a predator."

"I understand. It's a hard thing."

"It is. We're more responsible for someone being arrested than anyone else on the force. If we say someone's guilty, even if the evidence is shown later on that they're not, they'll be guilty their whole life," he said quietly. "Just like doctors, we have a person's life in our hands and it's our job to see that the right ones get what they deserve. That's why you work carefully. That's why you work within protocols. That's why you listen to those who do this every day. I don't know how many afternoons I've subbed in for my father after class. Even back in high school I was helping around the office, if only making it more lively during a bad case," he said quietly. "Now it's your turn. If you want to be a CSI, this is what will tell you. This summer is going to be hard. You're going to cry. We'll have at least one child murdered, probably by their parents, statistically speaking. We'll have at least one person who was raped and then killed. We'll have a few people who were robbed and killed. We'll have some who were kidnaped. We'll have a very full summer. Take all this and figure that out. Also figure out if you can stand dealing with people. Narrow viewpoints are what can drive you nuts in this job."

"So keep my opinions in my diary and get some emotional distance?"

"If that helps. I still feel every single case. Horatio does too. So does Speed. Calleigh can do some distancing now and then. Eric can too. Some others can. Take the time to figure out your style. We all do things differently. I started out here being Speed's intern. We mesh very well on viewpoints and styles of work and dealing with things. Even if he does think I have crappy taste in men." He shrugged and grinned. "The world is a wider spot than you're used to. Let it go and focus on the crimes. By the end of the summer you'll know your style. Then you'll have your trainee year once you hit a lab. Pick a lab that works like you do. An intense guy, one who's all force, shove, and power, won't work here. He'll work well in New York. Their lab is great at that and their boss up there is a Marine so they work on his standards of inhuman perfection. Vegas is a bit more laid back but still a bit pushy, just a more subtle pushy. Miami is a lot of undercurrent. LA is probably a panic now and then with the amount of violence they have. DC's labs at the federal level are all very clinical and about perfection. If you sneeze in the FBI lab, you change your coat, your shirt, your gloves, and most people change their pants and shoes too." That got a nod. "So figure out your style. You're here to learn. Just like I am. We all learn new things every day. I taught Eric how to hotwire a hummer last year." He grinned and walked inside.

Parsons watched him go and thought about what he said. It was pretty wise for coming from a gay guy. He'd have to deal with him to learn from him but he could keep his opnion to himself for now. He headed to his car. His day was done. He frowned. Xander had gotten in only a half-hour after him. He should be done too. He'd have to check on that. Maybe higher level interns did more hours. His school only demanded one internship. He heard he went to Georgetown. They must be really hard! He was glad he went to UNLV. He headed back to his place, going to relax and think. He hadn't seen the things he had pointed out yet. It was good advice.

Xander walked back into the lab and Horatio caught his arm, turning him around. "But I've got to finish the tests I started in trace."

"Speed already did. Go home, Xander."

"But..."

"Home, Xander."

"But, Horatio!"

"Home, Xander," he said more firmly. "We don't pay you overtime."

"I've only just begun!"

"Yes, and if you stay you'll be working until ten. Like you did last summer. I got yelled at last year for you working too many hours and forgetting to call your father. Home. Now. Wherever that is tonight." Xander sighed and trudged off, making him smile for the act. "Go club or something when you've found a spot." Xander nodded and waved over his shoulder. "Good boy," he said quietly.

***

Xander watched the predators in front of him and his heart sank. He didn't want to do this. He really didn't. He gave the kid a look and shook his head subtly, getting a grin. "Hey, play catch with me?" he offered. The kid nodded and they went to do that on the sidewalk, with a few of the other neighborhood kids. Xander looked, there were at least ten in their age range and a few were giving him wary looks. He knew he had been willing, but some of these kids weren't. He left them with the game of catch and went back inside, kissing Jesse's mother on the cheek. "I've finally found a motel room. It's insane down here."

"You poor dear. Are you sure you don't need to wait until your first paycheck?"

He grinned. "No, I saved up some from my last internship," he promised. Plus all his other ones. "Thanks anyway."

"You're welcome to stay if you want," Jesse's father reminded him.

He grinned at him. "I know, but this way I can order the smutty movies tonight." They laughed and hugged him and he grabbed the bag he had brought in. He kissed them both on the cheek again and headed for his car. Miraculously, it started the first try. He drove off with a beep and a wave at the kids, and searched his soul. He called his dad. "I'm fine." He smiled. "Yeah, I did see Jesse's parents." He listened to him complain. "Dad. Well, who did you tell?" he asked. "Since I'm down here I can check and make sure they remember." Which would tell him who to talk to. He winced at the name. "Sure. No, I'm heading to my hotel." He winced and pulled over at the screaming going on. "Dad. Dad! Jethro!" he snapped. His father calmed down and Tony took the phone. "I spent the last two nights on Jesse's parents' couch," he admitted quietly. "They are." Tony gave him a direct order. "I like Eric...I'm just not sure.... But I don't want to look bad in front of Horatio." He nodded. "Sure. Thanks."

He hung up and swallowed, making a decision. He called Eric. Horatio would start to give him looks if he knew. "Meet me somewhere? Because we've got to talk, Eric. Because my father once gave you a case, they're still here, and they're in a neighborhood full of kids." He nodded and hung up, heading that way. It was a nice club. He parked and got out, looking down at himself when the bouncer did. "Let me change shirts. Speaking of, do you guys know a decent, cheap efficiency motel?" They all pointed up the street and he smiled. "Thanks." He changed his shirt and locked the car, then paid the cover and went inside. He found Eric at a table on the quieter side and slid in across from him. "Soda, no ice," he told the waitress. "I'm driving." She nodded and went to get that for him. He looked at Eric. "My father called you from Sunnydale?"

"He did. I worked with him once on a case." He sipped his beer. "I remember it very well. Why were you with them?"

"Because I'm originally from Sunnydale, Eric." Eric choked. "Jesse was my best friend. He was my sanity and my soul when he was alive," he said quietly. He took his soda and paid her, getting a smile and a wink before she walked off. He shifted to lean his back against the wall. "The last time I saw them, I was sixteen. I had just been kicked out. Jethro had barely gotten to town." He took a drink. "Hmm, truth serum." He put it aside and scanned the bar. "I hate spooks."

"Can you defeat it or should I watch for babbling?" Eric asked, looking a bit concerned.

"No, I'll be fine." He looked at him. "I learned that in interrogation class," he offered with a small grin. "They thought my dad was going to dose me some day." He shifted, crossing his feet. "They put me in touch with someone who paid me just over ten grand for a few hours of my time," he said quietly. "Now, I knew what I was doing. I was formulating survival strategies. It gave me enough to live off of until I graduated if I had to." Eric nodded at that and slid his beer over. "I don't need it. I knew what I was doing. I kinda knew what I was doing when I was thirteen and I paid off my father's poker debt. Well, he paid off my father's poker debt," he admitted. Eric shuddered. "Again, I wasn't that young. I know that's probably f-ed up in the extreme, but that's how I rationalized it. That and so I didn't have to hear him or help him after he got beaten up again for owing them something like sixty thousand dollars." Eric spluttered on his drink.

Xander nodded at the spook he knew and nodded at the other one, getting an eye roll. He grinned and looked at Eric again. Then the guy came over. "Clay, this is Eric Delko. He's one of the guys I work with in the lab. By the way, your trainee there dosed my soda with truth serum." He handed it over, letting him test it. To anyone else it'd seem like a friend sharing his drink. "I'd suggest spanking but I know the spook trainers like that option too much."

"They do. What's up?" He looked at him. "You don't look happy to be in Miami this year."

"Oh, I am. I just ran into a problem. Remember the report McGee had to file on the LA guy?" Clay nodded once. "I figured you had backgrounded me after we first met."

"You'd be right. You made your trainers have very good dreams for months on end. I wanted to know what was so special."

Xander beamed. "I'm gay." Clay laughed at that. "So anyway, the parents, the middlemen, are down here. In a neighborhood full of kids, and some of them didn't look real tolerant of them. They looked kinda scared in a few cases."

"Your father said you weren't pressing charges personally but that you had understood not everyone else had made that choice," Eric agreed. "You're sure?"

"Eric, a few of the kids looked scared because I walked out of their house, I was playing catch with their next target," Xander said quietly. "He also understood why I got him out of that house. Yeah, someone there knows." Eric nodded and got up. "Need their address?"

"I've got it. We've been watching over them." He looked at him. "You didn't go to Horatio?"

"I didn't want to have him look at me in that special, pitied way, Eric. I couldn't stand that," he admitted quietly.

"H doesn't do pity."

"Yeah, but he'd still start watching me harder. He knew it happened. He asked at my first week eval last year. I told him, bluntly, I had been a poker debt and then I formulated a survival strategy the second time."

"Sure. I'll cover for that," Eric decided. "How many kids?"

"There were ten or twelve out playing."

"I'll go tonight. I know the people who're over the case now and we'll talk to some of them." He patted Xander on the head. "Relax, let me handle it." Xander nodded so he nodded politely at Clay. "Nice meeting you. Don't let him get hurt. His father would scream at us." He walked off.

Clay took his seat. "That was brave."

"Had to be done." He gave him a long look. "Yeah, I knew what was going on. The second time I made the decision. Some of those kids clearly didn't."

"I understand, Xander. I've seen it before," he assured him. "How many of us are in here? I know at least two other trainees are."

Xander scanned then pointed at someone, who looked over, so he grinned and waved. "That's Tiffy and her trainee with Patrick mirroring our position. The waitress who gave me truth serum soda. A few at the bar. One or two on the floor are too stiff so I'd lump them in there just in case since they dance like they're Feebs." Clay laughed at that. "Ooh, your female JAG buddy is down here. She can't dance either." He grinned at him. "Too many. If I had known this was a meeting place for Feds, I'd have talked him into going somewhere else."

Clay shrugged. "Only temporarily. By the weekend it'll be back to normal. Go help her." Xander got up and went to dance with the female JAG officer he knew and had helped a few times, making her squeak when he moved behind her, but he gave her a look and she relaxed again and let it go. He smiled as he watched. They were adorable together. Xander clearly knew she was deadly, he only played like that with the deadly women. He saw a few giving the boy interested looks, so he moved them into his probable category as well. All but his target. He knew she was dangerous. She was an assassin. She walked out there to take Xander and he smiled and danced with her, winking at Clay. Yeah, the boy hadn't lost his touch. He went out to help his fellow officers. They'd let Xander do point since she liked him and had decided on him as a target.

***

Horatio woke up to a call from someone at a very loud place. "What do you want?" he complained. He listened to the drunken slurring. "Xander, are you that drunk that you can't call a cab?" The boy said something and he moaned. "Fine. Let me come get you." Someone took the phone from him. "And you would be?" he asked patiently, checking the clock. Four in the morning. "Mr. Webb. State Department? Why are you with my intern?" He listened to what he said. "Interesting. Would this have to do with his training? Yes, I do know. His father had a few on my team cleared so we knew if something came up and came after Xander." He listened to the humorous story of the assassin who tried to get the kid, and he had ended up taking her down with them, then one of the other trainees had drugged him. "They will be punished?" He smirked. "Wait on me. I'll be right there. I will expect you there with the boy when I get there." He hung up and got out of bed, going to put back on his clothes from yesterday and head out. Only Xander.

He pulled in and found them waiting in the parking lot, Xander curled up napping on his trunk. He slid out of the hummer and slammed the door but the boy didn't wake, only mumbled. "What happened?"

"He and Eric Delko were having a talk about an old case here earlier. One of our brilliant new trainees, not like he was but a regular one, decided he was a threat and gave him a soda laced with truth serum, which he identified during the first sip," he assured him, shrugging a bit. "The boy was always good at that and he can defeat most of them. After CSI Delko left, we talked and I had him spot who else was in the bar for me. He's very good at body language and finding hidden guns. He beat his trainers one year."

"He told me about Rome." Horatio moved closer, checking on Xander. "Then what happened?"

"One of the people he spotted was a JAG officer we both worked with in DC. She's a really great woman, very nice to him, one of the few women Xander trusts. She looked like Frankenstein on the floor so he went out to dance with her and help her fit in better." He grinned. "The assassin we were here after went out to dance with him."

"I've seen how only the truly dangerous women are drawn to him," he admitted, starting to have a headache. "She went after him in other ways?"

"Yeah, tried to get him into the bathroom to blow him. Xander gave me the sign, let her drag him off. We moved in to take her into custody in there since there were still non-agents in the bar. By the time we got in there, she was working on his neck. Little did we realize she's been using drugged lipstick. I wouldn't drug test him anytime soon. A preliminary swipe and test kit said it's an opiate of some sort. I'll get you an exact report in the morning if you want."

"Please." He shook his head. Only Xander. "He'll be fine?"

"He was lucid enough to turn and pin her against the wall and give us the chance to move in. Textbook for a seduction arrest or capture. He turned giggly about ten minutes later and now he's probably on his way down. I heard from the bouncer he was asking about motels so I didn't figure he had one. I don't want him back where he had been staying since that's why he was talking to CSI Delko." Horatio nodded once at that. "It's handled," he assured him. "Eric knew about it before and is talking with the people over the case again." He waved a hand. "So I did the nice thing and let him call you. He said he would've called Speed, pouted about it really, but he didn't want to hear the lecture in the morning about not going with another woman. It seems like he's always getting into woman-related trouble."

"They all want to mother him, sleep with him, and/or kill him," Horatio sighed. "I've got a guest room he can sleep in tonight." They got Xander into the hummer. He looked at the bouncers. "He'll come get his car by the afternoon."

"That's fine, sir. They've got the club for the next few days. We've got surveillance if anyone should break in." He looked at the heap. "Not that anyone would want to but you never know." Horatio nodded and got back into the hummer. He looked at Clay. "He's one of you guys?"

"Former trainee. He decided to go CSI," he said with a shrug. "He's a good one. He works very well up in DC when he's not in class." He went to get into his own car and head in to make more reports.

Horatio got the cuddly person inside and let him flop onto the bed, smiling when Xander snuffled the pillow before snuggling it and murmuring his name. "That's right, you're here. You sleep. You're safe." He watched him a few more minutes then went back to bed. He even got two whole more hours of sleep before his alarm woke him. He checked the bed behind him. Xander hadn't come to cuddle. He wasn't sure if he was disappointed or not. He went to shower and get ready for the day, checking on Xander. He was still fast asleep so he wrote him a note and left it beside him with a glass of juice. Then he went to work. He found Speed frowning at the parking lot. "He's in my guest room."

"Why?"

"Because he ran into a female assassin last night and she drugged him," he admitted. Speed groaned. "One of the agents in the bar to get her called. Drugged lipstick."

"Which would explain why Delko got emailed a report on an opiate. He wasn't sure."

"That would be what got him." Horatio walked inside. "I left him a note. I'll call at lunch to see if he's up yet."

"Sure," Speed agreed, nodding at that. Parsons walked up to them. "Get that DNA sample's results yet?"

"No, sir. Is Xander off today?"

"No, he ran into an assassin who drugged him last night," Speed offered dryly. "Dangerous women like Xander."

"They either want to mother him, have sex with him, or kill him," Horatio agreed.

"That should be and/or. You know most of the ones he's had sex with wanted to kill him, H," Speed noted blandly.

"So that's why he's gay," Parsons said. It suddenly made so much more sense to him.

"No, he was bi before then, he's given up on women," Speed said sarcastically. "Go get me the reports." He hurried off. "At least Xander's making him come off his high horse," he said once the kid was gone.

"Thankfully. Eric?" He came out of the lab he was in. "Report please?" It was handed over and he looked at it. "Good, this is fairly mind. We'll keep this in case someone wants to drug test the poor kid."

"Xander?" he asked.

"Female assassin," Speed agreed.

"With a bar full of operatives and agents there to get her," Horatio added, looking at him. "After you and he talked about a case?"

"It's an older one and I'm helping them question some kids. It's a pedophile," he said quietly, glancing around. "He was on their couch."

"He was on the couch of his former best friend's parents," Speed said, looking confused.

Eric drug him off a few steps. "They're the way he survived when he was kicked out," Eric offered. Speed stiffened at that. "He saw them hunting and a few haunted looking kids. He called." He glanced at Horatio then back at him. "He said he knew but he didn't want those looks."

"Agreed. He okay?"

"That's why he called. He saw the looks."

Speed nodded. "Good. That's reasonable." He walked back there. "You've got to make sure Xander knows he can come to you about his former life. He thought you'd give him looks for some of his past." He walked off, going to rant in private and calm himself down.

"The ones from the poker debt?" Horatio guessed.

"He didn't want you to start watching him or giving him looks, H," Eric pleaded.

"I understand. We'll leave it as you've never officially let me know, Eric. They were?"

"Both times. He said their son used to his soul and his sanity, H." He glanced around then moved closer again. "He said he saw the looks in some of the kids' eyes when he came out of the house. That's why he called."

"That's usually enough with their history. We have them under watch?"

"They were before. Xander said he knew who their next target was. He was playing ball with him to get him out of the way last night."

"Good enough. Find us proof, Eric. I want them off the streets and away from Xander."

"Agreed. SVU has it and they're not happy campers. Someone up there is talking to the kids in the neighborhood today with a few of the more reasonable parents included. A few of the parents they knew were going to throw fits again."

Horatio nodded. "Keep me informed subtly in case it comes back to haunt him."

"Of course. He said he justified his own."

"They often do," he said quietly, heading for his office. It did add depth to what he knew about Xander. He had known about the incidences, but nothing further than that had been offered. He would have to watch Xander the next time an abuse case came up, just in case he started to dive too deeply into it. He put the report into his desk and looked up when IAB came in. "What?"

"Why did I get a report from the State Department?"

"Xander ran into an old friend who was helping some agents apprehend a female assassin last night. He helped since she twigged to him and wanted him. She drugged him slightly. He's in my spare room."

Rick Stetler shook his head. "Does that boy never stay out of trouble?"

"It's only women that bring it, Rick. None of his playmates or his boyfriends seem to bring it."

"I'll try to set him up then. That way we have a quiet summer." He handed over the report and stomped off.

Horatio read it over, then filed it with the drug report. Just in case it became necessary.

***

Speed finally got his few days off and took off, leaving his lab well in hand with Xander. Xander whooped and hurried back to rearrange things for himself. Then he got back to work. Eric looked in a few hours later. "I'm fine."

"I noticed that. I was checking for beard growth."

"I suck at it, mine's patchy. Besides, I look dumb in stubble. I'm not Speed and I know I'm not Speed." He grinned at him and got back to work, moving around the table to start another test.

"Doing too many at once," Eric warned.

"I am not. I've only got one running, one in prep, and one pulled out to prep next. As long as we don't lose power, I'll be fine."

"Uh-huh." He walked off, going to talk to Calleigh and make sure she'd help him look over Xander's shoulder.

Xander rolled his eyes at the worrywarts. They were worse than his father sometimes. Even worse than Abby and Ducky combined at times since Horatio was coming in to hover. "I know what I'm doing."

"I know, I came in to help." He gloved and jacketed up, coming over to see what he was doing. "This one is your next sample?"

"Yeah, it's running out of time so I jumped it ahead of another one." He shrugged. "That way it won't be dead sperm."

"Shouldn't it be in DNA?"

"No, she's had her shot. She said there's something in the secretion portion of it and she couldn't identify it."

"All right. What were you hoping to do?"

"Small bits to test pH. One small bit to test in the mass spec?" He looked at him. "It came up negative when she ran a drug screen. She's hoping it's a lube or something."

"That would be reasonable," he agreed, going to help him with that while the printer spat out the last result. Xander ran the next sample. "You could become a full time lab tech, Xander."

"No I can't. I'd go insane." Horatio laughed at that. "I would. All day in the lab without getting out? Even Abby sent me to get her sodas to keep me from losing it." He got the report and put it with the last sample and the thing it went to. This new result came off and he looked at it. "Your case." He put them together. Then he came back to help. "Did dad hint that I should be a full-time tech?"

"No. I haven't heard from him today."

"Okay." He grinned and got back to work, bending down closer. "I hate the face shields. Can't I wear a surgical mask?"

"If you buy them."

"Good, then I'm buying an emergency pack for my kit too."

"For?"

"Field medicine. Bandaids, that stuff."

"Also reasonable," he decided. "How far up did you go?"

"I took the 'we need a medic and we're behind enemy lines' lessons. Non-surgical for the most part except for how to hold veins and things together so you can move someone safely and not let them bleed to death."

"Interesting. Did you know that before then?"

"Some. Giles taught us how to splint, bandage, and take care of things back in Sunnydale. Basic paramedic training really. I've never certified."

"Maybe you should. It could come in handy and look attractive if you're not going to be able to go to NCIS directly."

"Yeah, dad said there's probably not going to be an opening unless someone dies," he sighed. He put down things and looked at Horatio. "He said I should hint at you."

"He hinted the same to me last month." They shared a smile. "If we have an opening, I wouldn't care." Xander beamed and got back to work. "Be careful with that, that bottle splashes."

"I remember. It got me earlier today during soil sample tests."

Horatio smiled. The boy was good in here. More dramatic flair than Speed and happier usually too. Yes he'd make one hell of a hire for Miami.

***

Xander got out of his hummer at the jewelry store, finding Speed there. "Why are you here?"

"I got called back, dumbass. Why are you here?"

"Horatio said so."

"Huh? H?" Horatio looked over and he pointed at Xander. "You called Wonder Mouse here?" Xander rolled his eyes at that name and shook his head.

"I did. There's something very wrong about this case and I want his biased opinion."

"Sure," Xander agreed. They walked into the store together, him behind but between the two people.

"How can I help you gentlemen today?" a man behind a counter asked.

"We're with the crime lab," Speed offered.

Xander spaced out on the talking, looking around. Something was not right. His attention drew to a pad of jewels out in the open. Very not right. He saw movement and dropped his case, pulling his gun. "Gun!" Horatio drew, Speed drew. He heard Speed jam and he and Horatio shot. He saw Speed hit the floor too. He let Horatio cover them while he flipped open his case and pulled out his small medical kit. "Speed, talk to me?" he ordered, slipping into crisis mode. "Come on, talk to me or I'm kissing your stupid ass." That got a moan. "Horatio, I need an ambulance with a clamp! I don't have one." He pulled out a set of gloves and some scissors, cutting open the shirt. "Oh shit. Now! We need them now!" He squeezed the bleeding spot closed, getting another moan. His other hand was reaching for a small wrapped package. He put it on his chest and removed the clamping hand just enough to get it open. Then he bent closer.

"Speed, I love you but they had better get here soon. Or else I'm going to paddle your ass after I save your life." He put in a few retaining stitches. "Veins are not my strong suit," he complained as he worked. He got a few punctures but the two spots were connected for now. He felt a hand behind him and looked back at the paramedics. "I joined the two spots around the damage. It's temporary. Clamp?" One was handed over and he clamped the hole closed. "Move him carefully. If that rips, he'll finish bleeding out. Veins are not my speciality so be very delicate." They nodded and moved around him while Horatio helped him up. He looked at him and then at the store. "Can you?" That got a nod. "Then I'm heading with him. Hummers?"

"Ride along."

Xander nodded and reclosed his case, hopping into the ambulance. "His name is Tim Speedle. He's a CSI. Call ME Alexx Woods for his medical record. She's like his mom and his medical contact if Horatio isn't." They nodded, radioing ahead. He was drug into the room with him. "It's field medicine." The doctor looked at him. "I'm medic trained. My father's a Marine and a Fed. I did it around the damage." He unclamped him, letting him see. "That way he didn't finish bleeding out. It's temporary."

"Good job," he praised. "Now go wait and call." Xander nodded, hurrying out to make those calls. He looked at the paramedics. "How long did it take you to respond?"

"He was with them," one of them noted. "We got there when he was doing the last two. It was stopping the bleeding, we let him."

"Good enough. Note it with the nurse." They let her have their notes while they got a surgeon down there. He was almost stable. "Let's get him typed for blood. He's lost some." The nurse hurried off to see if they had his medical records and do that. The surgeon ran in. "We had a civie who had some medic training from his father, who's a Marine and a Fed. He stitched around the damage to shunt the blood."

He looked. "That'll hold until we can get his blood pressure up. Let's do that." They worked on that, watching the stitches. Once he was a bit more stable they ran him upstairs to remove the bullet and fix it right.

***

Xander looked up as Horatio walked in. "The kid?"

"Found him," he promised, patting him on the cheek. "Speed?"

"He'll be fine. They said I did the right thing."

"You did. Thank you." Xander nodded, swallowing. "Go get sick, I'll watch." Xander ran off. Horatio went to bother the nurse. "Tim Speedle?"

"ICU bed four, sir. Are you a relative?"

"His boss. One of his medical contacts. Horatio Caine." She checked and nodded, letting him in there with Alexx. "Alexx?" he asked quietly. "How is he?"

"He'll survive and heal." She looked at him. "What happened to his gun?"

"Calleigh's checking it now." He moved closer. "Did you hear?"

"I'm going to kiss that boy and make him the most chocolatey brownies I can," she assured him, taking his hand to hold. "He lost two pints at the scene but Xander kept him from dying." She sniffled. "I nearly lost him." He let her cry on him and watched their friend. She pulled back finally. "The poor kid?"

"Found," he assured her. She nodded at that, taking Speed's hand to hold again. "Let me tell the others. When do they think they'll downgrade him so he can have visitors?"

"Probably tomorrow if he stays stable," she offered.

He nodded, going to find Xander. He found him curled against Eric's side. "He'll be fine." Xander relaxed and nodded. "Even Alexx said so. They think he'll be able to have visitors tomorrow. Calleigh?" She looked over. "What happened?"

"Damp ammo and his pin isn't moving. It's not dirty, it's frozen. However he put it back in was wrong."

He nodded at that.

"I'm so teaching him how to clean his gun this time," Xander muttered, making Eric laugh. "I am!" He looked at him. "When do they think he'll wake up?"

"Alexx said he'd probably be downgraded by tomorrow and able to have visitors so probably sometime tonight."

"We can wait," Eric assured him, letting Calleigh have Xander for now. "It jammed?"

"There were people in the back. Speed and Horatio were talking, I was paying attention to the store. I saw someone come out with a gun. I shouted, I pulled, I fired. I heard Speed's click." Horatio nodded at that. "Then I saw him fall." Calleigh gave him a squeeze. "It's instinct."

"It's a good instinct," she assured him, patting his hair. "You should call your dad."

"No, he's got a bad case right now. Spies and dead wives. I'll call him tomorrow." She smiled at that and gave him another squeeze. "I'll be okay."

"I'd hope so. They'll give you an award for this," she teased.

"Then I guess you guys can meet Tony. It's tradition he picks up any awards for me or dad." Horatio cracked a smile. "He does, even in school. We run from them." He looked at her. "Don't make me leave Miami early this year. I'm not going to Paris until later this summer. I'd be bored." She smiled and patted him, kissing him on the forehead. Alexx came out. "Is he still okay?"

"He's fine, baby." She pulled him up to hold. "Thank you," she whispered. He nodded. She gave him an extra squeeze. "When he wakes up I'll call you directly. Horatio, I won't be in until he wakes up."

"I'll let your Chief know." She nodded at that and drug Xander back with her, making the others smile. "He deserves it."

"He does," Eric agreed. "We almost lost him." The other two nodded. "What would we do without him?"

"We'll know soon enough. It's going to be at least four months before he can come back," Calleigh pointed out. "He'll need rehab for his arm." She looked at Horatio. "Can we keep Xander?"

"We're keeping Xander through his internship. We'll see about a temporary replacement or possibly hiring a new tech." They smiled at that. "It'll probably be closer to six months and we can let Xander train him for Speed as well." Eric giggled at that. "Let me let the proper people know he'll be okay." He went outside to do that and to pray his thanks. His last call was to Gibbs, getting snapped at. "I was going to tell you your son saved a life today," he said quietly. "Speed's. His gun malfunctioned in a shooting. Shoulder wound. He did something temporary that lasted long enough to get him to the hospital and into surgery. He said he'd call in a few days and he wanted to know if he could borrow Tony if they gave him an award." He smiled at the smart answer. "Thank you, Jethro. No, we're keeping him. Maybe permanently after he graduates. Xander is a very special man and we appreciate the hell out of him. Thank you. Have a better case." He hung up.

***

Gibbs hung up. "DiNozzo, you may be heading to Miami to pick up Xander's award."

"What did he win?" McGee asked, looking confused.

"He saved Speed's life," he said quietly. "He was shot in the shoulder during a problem." Tony shuddered. "He did something at the scene since he was there and it gave them enough time to get him into surgery to fix it properly. So if he gets one, he said you can pick that one up too."

"It does seem to be family tradition. Does this mean if we both have grandkids, my grandkid can get your's awards too, boss?"

Gibbs shuddered at that image. "Xander's forbidden to breed, DiNozzo."

Tony grinned. "Sure, boss. Can I sit there when you tell him that?"

"Back to work," he complained, shaking his head. "Better yet, someone get him something to eat so he returns to sanity and sense." McGee hurried off to do that. That was just too scary. His grandkids and Tony's grandkids being friends?

***

Speed woke up to someone petting him. He made a grumbling noise.

"I'm going to teach you how to put your gun back together properly," Xander whispered in his ear. "Then I'm going to make you do it over and over again like you did me with the semen and vomit separating." Speed cracked a small grin at that. "Water?" That got a shallow nod. He let him sip while he pushed the call button, bringing a nurse. "He's responding to verbal cues."

"Good." She came in to check him over. "Mr. Speedle, you are one very lucky person. Whoever did the work on your shoulder at the scene saved your life." She checked the bandage. "That should be fine. The doctor will be in on rounds in a few hours. I'll let him know you've woken up." Speed grumbled something at her. "Huh?"

"We moved your bike to Horatio's garage. It's not sitting in the PD parking lot." Speed grumbled something else. "What? Try enunciation this time?" Speed grumbled it again. "If you had died, yeah I would've kissed you and done CPR. Next time don't try to get dead." Speed nodded slightly at that. "Could be worse. I could've offered to date you." Speed shuddered and shook his head more firmly. "Good. Then you'll get better and we'll figure out what to do. Okay?" Speed nodded. "Good boy. Now you rest."

"Water?" he mumbled more intelligently. Xander let him have more. "Alexx?"

"Home. It's nearly three in the morning." Speed gave Xander a look and the nurse laughed. "I'm sure he's got tomorrow off."

"That's right. Horatio said I can come in at noon." Speed grunted and nodded, closing his eyes again. Xander texted everyone to let them know he had woken up. Then he looked at the nurse. "Is he being moved?"

"It depends on the doctor, sir." She smiled and went to make her own notes and leave her own messages.

***

Calleigh walked in the next morning, smiling at the boy curled up in the chair beside the other sleeping person. "Aww," she whispered, sneaking over. Speed flinched and woke up. "Shh." She pointed and he snorted. "It's adorable."

"He'd complain," he said weakly. "Please feed me real food?"

"If they let me. If not, I can't help you with the pig slop." He let out a complaining noise and Xander popped awake at that. "Good morning. You're adorably rumpled. You should go home and rest. I can spend a few hours with him."

Xander yawned and stretched then stood up to look at him. "You more awake?"

"Hmm. If you had threatened to date me to get me to live, I'd have died of horror," he said sarcastically.

Xander gave him a careful hug and a kiss on the forehead. "I'll be back after shift." Speed nodded at that, watching him go.

"Aww," Calleigh said again, grinning at him. "He saved your life you know."

"The nurse said that," he agreed weakly. "Please feed me?"

"We'll see what the nurses say." She hit the button for the nurse. "He's begging for real food."

The nurse laughed. "Liquids today, dear. Only liquids today. Sorry. The doctor will be here in a few minutes, you can beg him." She checked his bandage and his output bag, taking notes on how much had been in there then changing it out. She sent a sample for testing and discarded the rest.

Calleigh looked at him. "He threatened to kiss you?"

"Yup, to keep me from dying. That was horrifying enough that I stayed." She pinched him on his good arm. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. It's a bad thought," she agreed, making him nod. The doctor came in with a brief knock. "He wants food."

"Tomorrow he can have oatmeal," he offered.

Speed looked at her. "Please save me."

"Next time, put your firing pin in correctly." He went limp and nodded. "Xander's vowed to go over that with you."

"He promised earlier he'd go over it like I did the semen and vomit sample we had to separate."

The doctor looked disgusted. "What do you do?"

"We're CSI," Calleigh said happily, smiling at him. "We do a lot of strange things for a job."

"Uh-huh. And the young man in here earlier?"

"He's our trainee," she assured him. "His father's a Marine."

"So I heard. His father trained him very well in field medicine." He looked at Speed. "He did save your life."

"He threatened to kiss me if I died."

"Ah. That'll do it," he agreed dryly. "Let's check the wound. If your perky friend could go get a cup of coffee?"

"No, caffeine is bad, but I will take a powder break." She looked at Speed. "Behave." She walked out, heading out to the waiting area.

"It's good to have caring friends."

"Can't I please have real food? She'll cook too."

"No. Sorry. Not yet. Liquids today to make sure your body is going correctly. Nothing that would strain your system. Then you can work back up." Speed grumbled but nodded. "Let's look at your wound. It's not pretty."

"How long?"

"Four, six months. If you're lucky and you don't infect." He looked, testing the edges of the incision. "It looks okay so far and the small drain I put in hasn't leaked anything unusual. It looks good." He taped it back down and made notes. "Tell us when that starts to itch."

"How long will I have to stay in here?"

"That depends, are you living with anyone?"

"No," he said slowly.

"You won't be able to move that arm. We're going to use a sling like we would if you had broken your shoulder. It'll be strapped to your chest and immobilize your arm."

"If I can get a minder?"

"Then we'll see in about a week." Speed nodded at that. "Once you heal, you're looking at some rehab for that injury. You could probably start work in another six months if you're lucky and nothing goes wrong."

"I have temporary disability insurance through work. I'll deal with it that way."

"Good. We also have a social worker here who can help you file any paperwork you need. Including getting help through the state to pay the medical bills and things."

"I've got regular insurance too."

"It's going to get expensive," he warned. "We'll send her up tomorrow so you have time to get the forms from work." Speed nodded and he made another note. "Anything else we can do for you?"

"Let me have bacon and coffee?"

"Caffeine in a week or so. Bacon in a few days." He smiled and walked out, letting Calleigh back in there. He handed that chart over and took his next one.

"Six months if I'm lucky. I'll need the disability forms."

"Horatio's already got them if I know him. Will that cover it?" He nodded. "Then it should be okay. I'm sure it'll be okay. Even if you are paying it off forever." Speed smiled at that. "So, what else did he say?"

"I can go home in a week if I have a minder. I'll be immobilized in that arm."

"Xander still needs a place to live."

"No. He'll bounce me to death worrying. No. I'll ask Horatio." She smiled at that. "He's good and calm, plus it'd give him a reason to come home. I love Xander, but I'd be cuddled to death." She nodded and giggled. "Good, you laugh. What'll you guys do?"

"Horatio was thinking about a new opening. We'd let Xander run them ragged for the first few weeks. Then he'll take over for Xander when he goes to Paris then home."

"Good. We could use some new blood. How is Parsons doing?"

"He's holding in his distaste for Xander's lifestyle and learning off him. The only problem we've got is the new rookie patrol under Jessup. He's been spouting crap and Xander's been ignoring it so far under penalty of Horatio locking him in a closet again. So we'll see."

"Yup, we'll see. Let me know who's my new trainee?" he asked through a yawn.

"Of course. We'll drag them here to introduce you so they know they can't replace you. You rest. Being shot is hard work."

"Hospitals suck."

"They do, but free cable." He cracked smirk at that. "I should get to work."

"Tell Horatio to bring me those forms?"

"Of course. He'll be by later I'm sure." s he kissed him on the forehead before leaving. She found Xander and Horatio staring at each other. "What?" she demanded.

"He should be in bed," Horatio said.

"I can't sleep anyway. I slept some last night. Let me go fuss and wear out the energy so I'll sleep tonight." He walked around him and headed to the lab. Frank turned him around and walked him back out. "Hey!"

"Go home and sleep, kid," Frank ordered. "Before I let Yelina spank you."

"I can't sleep, therefore I want to work."

"Tough. Do it anyway." Xander huffed and walked off, going in another door. He went to find Yelina. "Xander said he can't sleep. He wanted to come to work already."

She gave him a look. "Just because I'm a mother doesn't mean I know what to do with that boy. Call his father." She got back to work.

"Not a bad idea," Frank offered, going to find Horatio. "Yelina suggested we call his dad."

"I hadn't thought of that," he admitted, pulling out his phone to do that. "Tony. No, I was trying to get Gibbs. No, he can't sleep so he's working?" He listened to the common reasons and nodded slowly. "So this new bout of insomnia is probably temporary and then he'll go back to not sleeping like normal? How do we break this one?" He smiled. "If I must. Thank you. No, he napped for a few minutes in the chair beside him. Nothing further. He's fine, now. Six months. I know I can't borrow Xander that long but they're letting me add someone new to the lab." He smirked. "Thank you, Tony. Nothing's been said. If so, I'll call. He said it's a family tradition that you come get any awards for any Gibbs." He snickered lightly. "I'll let him know that as well." He hung up and walked into the Trace lab, pulling Xander away from where hew was gloving up and walking him up to his office. He sat the boy down and sat down next to him. "Nap." Xander shook his head. "Now. Before I have to call your father for real this time." Xander pouted. "Now. I'm more than comfortable enough to let you nap on me."

"I've got to work."

"You don't." He put a hand over his eyes and cuddled the boy, just like Tony suggested. He felt him go limp but didn't fall for that. He heard the quieter breathing, still not going there. He felt him fully drop off in a way that meant he wouldn't wake up and laid him on the couch, letting him sleep there for now. He went to look through the file he had been sent by Personnel about who could be qualified to join his staff. He came back to one name and called him in to talk to him. The young man was handsome, strong, uptight but they could fix that. His file looked good. "Mr. Wolfe."

"Lieutenant," he said, snapping to his feet when he saw him. "You wanted to see me, sir?"

"I do. I know scuttlebutt is all over the station by now."

"It is, sir. Will Speed be okay?"

"In a few months. For now, we're being allowed to add to the lab to cover the manpower shortage and later on to stay." Ryan smiled. "Your weapon?" Ryan handed it over and he looked. "How often do you clean it?"

"Every night. I'm a bit OCD."

Horatio handed it back with a knowing look. "That's more than a bit OCD, Mr. Wolfe." He shrugged at that. This one had the qualifications. He had the people skills by the file he had been sent. He had some ambition, which wasn't a bad thing. "If I do accept you, you will be training under our senior intern," he said quietly. "He was trained by Speed. You'll be training with the others but he'll be over you. Then Speed will get you while he's finishing rehab and only allowed to do lab work. He does my best training."

"That's fine. I've heard about your interns, especially Harris. He sounds competent and I'm sure I can learn a lot from him."

"What are they saying?"

"That he's pushy and slightly warped. That Speed's like his brother. A few claim he's got some training that's a bit further than 'his father's a Marine and a Fed'." He gave him a look. "I heard he's a hardass and a stickler on scenes. I can live up to that."

"Good. Very good. Go change." Ryan smiled and nodded, going to do that. "Come to my office," he called after him. He went back to check on Xander, finding Eric in there being held down. "Did he grab you? Tony said he used to do that when people try to wake him."

"He was snoring so loudly I heard him up the hall."

"That does happen, Eric. We have a new CSI coming in. Xander is going to be trainer." Eric smirked at that. "You and Calleigh will be working with him."

"Sure. Who?"

"Wolfe. Ryan Wolfe. He'll be here in a few minutes." Eric nodded at that and tried to get free but he was only squeezed harder. "That won't work, Eric."

"Let him relax fully again and he should let you go," Ryan offered. "Either that or if he's got a dog or something, make dog sounds." Eric growled in his ear, getting one arm being moved. He got free. Ryan smiled. "Hi. Ryan Wolfe."

"Eric Delko. Welcome to the lab. Listen to Xander but don't turn into Xander. We love the kid but he's horribly at fussing over people."

"I like it," Xander complained from the couch. He sat up with a yawn, looking at the new guy. "You are?"

"Ryan Wolfe."

"The new CSI?" he asked Horatio, who nodded. "Mine?"

"When you come in tomorrow. Today he can orient himself." Xander gave him a mild scowl. "Home, Xander. Now."

"They're not home yet and I don't have keys." He was renting a room from a couple Alexx knew.

"Then go to my house and use my spare bed," Horatio ordered, handing over his keys. "If you're up before I get home, make dinner to repay me." Xander sighed but nodded, sulking off to do that. Horatio shook his head. "He spent last night with Speed at the hospital."

"I heard they're as close as family. That doesn't bother me but I'll know not to get in grabbing range if he's sleeping."

"Cute," Eric taunted.

Ryan grinned. "Thanks but I'm not Xander's type either." Eric laughed at that and walked off shaking his head. He shrugged a bit. "A bit of levity goes a long way."

"It does," Horatio agreed. "Come on, we'll give you the tour and let you orient yourself and meet everyone." He led him off, letting him handle his first case, which was Calleigh's father's car. Xander came in the next day and looked over his shoulder. He was very much a perfectionist. It matched well with Xander's persnickety nature in the lab. The receptionist walked in a few hours later with a piece of folded paper, letting him have it. "Thank you. Where is this from?"

"DC, sir." She walked off blushing.

He looked then smiled at the picture of Xander in his kilt. He'd have to bring it to Speed later to lighten up his gloom.

***

Xander came off the plane from Paris, smiling at the guy meeting him. "Hi." He hugged Tony. "I'm back."

"I can see that. No one else gives me full body cuddles as a hug," he teased, letting him go. Xander beamed at him. "How was Paris?"

"Crowded but great. Ooh, I got Kate a present." He beamed at that. "You have one too but it's in the mail."

"Sure. It's easier to ship than to get things through customs." He walked him off. "How was Miami?"

"Ryan's a really uptight guy now and then. We get along but he'll drive Speed nuts. Or at least more than I did. Speed's healing well. They finally let him out of his brace thingy." He walked into the baggage claim and got his bags, frowning when one wasn't showing up. He went to talk to someone, having to fill out some forms. He came back shaking his head. "Ate one of them." He followed him. "Miami's just very Miami the last time I heard." He turned on his phone, looking at the note. "Dad wants us back at the office?"

"Yup, probably. We're in the middle of a case. Petty theft by petty officers."

"Charming. My stuff can sit in the trunk." They headed out to Tony's mustang and Xander did put his bags in the trunk and got in so they could head back to work.

***

Four More Years Later:


Xander settled into his new house in Miami, satisfied with how it had turned out. It was very nice. It was homey. He smelled the brownies so he went to rescue them from the oven, pulling out the pan to sniff. "Very nice." He put them on top of the stove to cool and turned, finding Horatio standing there. "Don't sneak up on me!"

"Sorry," he said with a small smile. "Brownies?"

"For the housewarming today."

"I remember." He took a gentle kiss. "Is everything else ready?"

"If not, we can order pizza."

Horatio laughed and nodded. "Let's make sure." He checked all the meats and drinks. Only a few beers and a few wine coolers. They all had to work tomorrow. He looked the front windows when he heard a car. "Calleigh's here. We forgot curtains."

"I have to hang them. I've been too sore to reach up that far."

"I'll help you later," he promised. Calleigh walked in and presented him with a bowl of fruit. "Thank you."

"Cool. Breakfast," Xander said happily, looking it over. He beamed and kissed her on the cheek. "No boy toys?"

"They're still working and having an argument."

He rolled his eyes. "Eric will flip him onto his back again and it'll be solved."

"That's the point of the argument. Speed's spending too much time there."

"Then let him find the handcuffs."

"Good idea," she agreed, texting to Speed that Xander suggested he try handcuffs to stop that argument. She got back a groan and a 'no, hell no. Thank you anyway'. "Hmm. Ryan must be near there. He finished off with a 'thank you anyway'."

"Ryan is nearly as polite as a mountie now and then," Xander agreed dryly, snuggling into Horatio's arms. "Did you want the grill?"

"I probably should. Calleigh, help me roll out the awning." She went out with him while Xander dug out an apple to nibble on while he made another pitcher of ice water. Xander had put the table in the open but the grill under cover with some benches against the wall and railing. There was even one beside the grill so he could sit down and be warm. She smiled at the small creature on the back lawn. "Xander?" He came to the door. "What is that?"

He looked then at Horatio. "It's a puppy. The wicked stepmother killed my last dog, therefore I needed a new one and the pound had him." He grinned. "His name's Red." He went back to work in the kitchen.

Calleigh went out, letting the puppy sniff her. It barked and wiggled, crouching down. "Aww, you want to play." She let it loose so she could play with him. "Aren't you so cute!"

"You don't spend enough time home to take care of one," Horatio said patiently. Neither did Xander but he wouldn't say that. His phone rang and he looked at the number, then sighed. "Caine." He listened to his boss. "Since when, sir? I hadn't asked." He nodded slowly. "What grade am I allowed to hire up to?" He smiled. "Really? Thank you, sir." He hung up. "I can either have two new level ones or a level three and another intern this year."

Calleigh came over to hug him. "We love you! I'm tired of working seventy hour weeks." She felt a lick and looked down, picking up the dog so he could pet him too.

"Hello, Red. I'm Horatio. That's Calleigh." The puppy barked and lunged to lick his face. He laughed and got free, petting it. "Good boy. Good boy, Red." The dog got put down and back onto his run line, and they watched him run back and forth a few times before settling in to watch them do whatever they were going to do. Calleigh tossed over the toy she had found. He sniffed but went back to watching them.

Xander came out with the meat for Horatio. "Go play." The dog went to play. He smiled at Horatio. "You're welcome."

"You knew?"

"I did know. It's a grant too. You're welcome." They shared a look. "This is to help you when I'm gone on a case for Tony. Speaking of, he's here."

"That's fine," he agreed mildly. "I like Tony."

Xander smiled and went to let him out back. "Look, a dog!" he said, pointing.

"I can see that. Who's going to take care of him when you're gone?" he asked, looking at his former helper and now second-in-command on his own NCIS team.

"Eric and Ryan said they'd babysit if it was going to be longer than a day. He's got a puppy door and I've already done the invisible fence thing. He's got an automatic feeder too."

"Good." He smiled and patted him. "Making sure you knew, Xander."

"I know." He grinned. "You're very good at that. Is Dad coming?"

"If he can." He smiled at Horatio. "If you don't mind."

"Why would I?"

"Good point." He went to snoop and be nosy, finding the toy building things in the basement then the master suite, which was comfortable feeling. He went down the stairs when heard the knock, letting in Speed. "Come on in. Everyone and the dog is in the backyard." He smiled when Ryan jogged over. "Come on. You too." He walked in with a smile. They all walked back there. "I like the toy stuff, Xander."

"Thanks, Tony. Guys, this is Tony. He's the team lead on the NCIS team some of us do double duty on." Tony waved and grinned. "My father may be here later unless he quits dealing with the paperwork bullshit in DC. At which time he may be here sooner." That got some laughs. "Look, puppy!" he said, pointing at his dog. "Bark, Red. Bark." The dog barked.

"Aww, you're adorable," Ryan offered, going over to let him sniff him and then pet him. "You're cute."

"He is." Calleigh smiled at him, then at her boys. "Are you two finished?"

Speed nodded. "He's done." He looked at Eric. "Isn't he?" Eric blushed and nodded.

"Do I have to worry about complaints from the other lab staff?" Horatio asked blandly.

"I used Alexx's office to spank him. She was highly amused. Oh, the lab techs, Xander?"

"Next weekend. They get their own." That got some nods and Ryan smiled. "I told them."

"I know you did but Natalia and Cooper wanted to make sure."

"They get their own day. That way they don't have to put up with you guys." They all laughed at that. "Okay, Horatio is barbequing. Drinks are in the fridge. If it rains I'm going to start swearing at the goddess. Horatio, for some reason Willow wanted a call?"

"Not a clue," he admitted. He went to call her. He liked Willow. She was infectious in her defense of Xander. "Willow, Horatio. What did you need?" He smiled. "I don't think we're ready for that yet. Who? Xander, the Initiative wanted you to spawn?"

"If they've reformed, Gibbs is going to be pissed. He hated Sunnydale," Tony called, coming in to take it. "Willow, it's Tony. Huh?" He listened to her babble. "Gibbs said he can't have kids. Ever." Horatio laughed at that. "He wasn't kidding, Horatio. The furry beasts are grandchildren enough for him." He went back to listening to Willow. "Who did that? Okay, I'll tell Gibbs. Thanks." He hung up. "Xander, they want your son to start off their new soldiers."

"Fat chance I won't go destroy them all," Xander said in a sing-song voice. "Parts of Sunnydale are going to go boom soon."

"They're in Texas."

"That's fine. They're big enough, they can spare the divot where their building is." He came in and went to his computer, smiling at the notes. "It's only a wild hair up someone's ass at the moment," he announced. "No baby Xander's!" He beamed at Horatio. "I'm not having hellions. Tony's vowed to turn them against me." Horatio gave him a gentle kiss and got a smile back. "Really, he has. He says it's payback for all the raves I made him go to when I was a teenager."

"We'll see," Horatio promised. "I already have a nephew and a niece." Xander beamed at that and they went back outside. "They're in the planning stages."

"Good, because if they come into the lab, I'm retiring from life at that point," Speed offered. "I trained Xander. One was enough."

"You did good with me," Ryan reminded him.

"I know, but you weren't was warped as Xander was when he came in. See, Xander, he's kinda got some special thoughts. First day I met him he admitted he had special skills and said I couldn't know until he cleared the background check. I had the instant thought of a really cranky Horatio bursting his bubble." Xander giggled at that. "Little did I know it was worse than we thought." He glared at Xander. "Didn't I teach you subtlety?"

"Yeah but they were going to blow up the hummer with Horatio in it. Bomb squad was being really slow and twats. Of course I undid it."

"Yes, but then you sent back a fake device to the person who sent it and we're lucky you're not in major trouble," Calleigh complained.

"No I didn't," Xander said. They all looked at him. He smirked and shook his head. "Not me, guys. It may've been Patrick. I trained with him and he's got a small crush now and then. It wasn't me. Really." They all rolled their eyes. He smiled at Horatio. He knew Horatio had sent it back. It made him happy. "Besides, if I wanted to send them something, it'd have been this neat semtex stuff that conditions your hands really well." Horatio burst out laughing at that, swatting him on the ass. "It would've been."

"I remember that day, Xander. Behave."

"Didn't it condition your hands?"

"Extemely well." He smirked at him. "You're so bad."

"I know, but I'm too cute to go fully evil. Then all I'd be is some temptation for others." He skipped off, going back into the house. He went outside at the knock, finding his father. "Did you quit?"

"Yup. I hate paperwork." He looked at him. "You look okay."

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"You haven't written in a week."

"No 'net connection and work's been hell." He gave him a hug. "I'm okay. I'm sorry you worried, dad." That got him a pat on the back. "We're all out back, including the new dog." Jethro smiled. "Tony thought it was very cute that I've got a toy workshop in the basement."

"It is. It's more practical than a boat too. It was hell getting that out of there." He walked out there, nodding at everyone and looking at the dog. "You weren't joking."

"No I wasn't. So if you quit, do we still get the grant?"

"Yes. You work too many hours and you're great at training, Xander. Look at Wolfe." He shrugged. He liked the kid, he had potential. He looked at Horatio. "Son-in-law."

"We're not that official yet. We've barely started dating, Jethro."

Gibbs snorted. "We're all stubborn. You'll get rid of him when you kill him and dump him in the harbor."

"That's okay, boss, the Initiative wants to give you a grandchild to take his place. I'll get to get his awards too," Tony called, waving a hand. "Did you quit for real or just walk out?"

"Walked out of the stupid budget meetings. Kate does those, not me. Who does?"

"The Initiative, dad," Xander sighed. "It's in the planning stages."

He looked at him. "I forbid you to give me grandchildren, son. Where are they?" Xander went to print off the information he had, giving it to him. "Hmm, looks like a good place for a weapons exercise." He went to call that in. There were still people around who owed him for turning his son so odd. He was a good boy, but very odd. He was proud of him but sometimes Xander was too much for anyone to bear sanely. He looked down when the dog trotted in, letting it sniff his hand. "Hey, dog. Guess you'll do the boy as good as the last one did." The dog hopped into his lap and lapped his face. "Eww. Get off." He put him down, making him sit. "Quit that." The dog barked and wagged his tail so he petted him. "Don't worry, you'll be insane soon too. He does it to others." The dog rolled over for belly scratches. "It's good you're loving. Your human could use more love." He petted him while he waited on confirmation of that group going down. He got it ten minutes later and walked out with the dog. "Done. No grandchildren. Ever. Understood?"

"Yes, daddy," he said with a sheepish grin. "Damn good thing I used to buy my own condoms, huh?" His father nodded so he went to tease Horatio into not scowling. "He never said you couldn't have one if you wanted one."

"I'm not ready for anything that serious yet."

"We've got time," he agreed, giving him a cuddle. It got him one of those special smiles that made his stomach tighten in the most perfect way. "Later, are you staying?" he asked quietly.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," he assured him. Xander beamed and bounced off to get his dog and play with him some more.

Then End.