Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


“What?” Joyce said breathlessly as she looked around the room. “How did we… Where are we?”

“Oh my… oh my…” Dawn looked around the room with wide eyes.

“I guess this is where we start to explain,” O’Neill started to say before he was interrupted.

“It’s Wormhole X-Treme!” Dawn squealed in a pitch that only fanboys and girls can reach when they face their favorite actors. Dawn took a couple steps away from group before slowly turning to look at them.

“Colonel Danning,” Dawn said in awe as she pointed at O’Neill. Pointing at Carter, she said, “Major Stacey Monroe. Which means you’re Dr. Levant and you must be Grell,” she finished up as she pointed at Teal’c.”

“I really hate that show,” O’Neill grumbled as he bowed his head as he slowly shook it.

Joyce slowly looked O’Neill over. “Definitely an improvement,” she said softly.

“Oh my word… oh my word… we’re in space! Aren’t we? We’re on a spaceship and you ringed us up,” Dawn squealed as she bounce up and down like a deranged jack-rabbit.

“So she’s a fan of Wormhole X-Treme,” O’Neill reasoned as he finally raised his head.

“Never misses an episode. She even writes fanfiction about it,” Joyce said with tolerant smile. “Xander got her started on it.”

“Of course he did,” O’Neill grumbled.

“I have a question,” Dawn said as she appeared right in front of O’Neill, vibrating like she was on a caffeine overload. “Are you really in a secret love affair with,” she glances over to the O’Neill’s team mates, “Jackson? I mean almost everyone who watches Wormhole X-Treme believe that Danning and Levant are a couple but they can’t admit it because of the stupid Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell rule.”

“Dawn!” Joyce exclaimed. “Didn’t we just talk about not speaking about other people’s sex lives not thirty minutes ago?”

“But mom, you‘ve been wondering the same thing. You’re always going on how the writers keep writing the love triangle about Danning, Levant and Monroe,” Dawn pointed out.

“Yes but that is TV and this is reality,” Joyce reply.

Dawn pointed at O’Neill. “Air Force Colonel. Super scientific brain,” pointed at Carter, “super language brain with puppy dog eyes,” pointed at Jackson and then pointed at Teal’c, “good guy alien.”

“Yes but I’m sure the writers added that in to add some UST,” Joyce explained.

“JoyceSummers, may I ask what UST is?” Teal’c asked.

Joyce turned to Teal’c and replied, “Unresolved sexual tension.”

Teal’c looked at his teammates for a moment. “Indeed,” he said simply.

“How about a tour of the ship?” Daniel asked suddenly. “I’m sure you seen the pictures NASA has taken of Earth but nothing can compare to see it yourself.”

Joyce gently pushed Dawn towards the door, hoping to divert her attention.

Daniel quickly ushered the young teen out of the room before she could ask any more embarrassing questions. Teal’c followed behind them as Daniel talked about the wonders of the universe.

Just as the doors were about to shut, Dawn could be heard saying, “There was rumors that Major Monroe was having a relationship with Grell, so are you having a relationship with Carter?”

Joyce closed her eyes and shook her head. “She’s a bit of a romantic,” she explained.

“And a fangirl,” O’Neill chimed in.

Joyce nodded her head. “And a fangirl.”

“I just don’t understand fanboys or girls,” Carter admitted with a shake of her head. “How could someone allow themselves to become so wrapped up in some TV show or movie?”

“When you know that your sister has to go out at night to hunt and kill monsters that want to kill everyone or the fact that most of your classmates will never get the chance to graduate, a little frivolous fun is a welcome part of life,” Joyce replied dryly.

“Yes... but that doesn’t explain everyone else,” Carter countered. “I once had the misfortune to stay at a hotel that was hosting ComicCon. The amount of time and energy spent making costumes; learning the life history of a fictional character… it’s such a waste.”

“Perhaps to you it is but not to the people who enjoy it,” Joyce replied. “It’s a combination of the Roman theater and the ‘what-if’ game.”

“What-if game?” Carter asked in confusion.

“What if Bilbo Baggins had never followed Gandalf. He would never have stolen Gollum’s ring and therefore Frodo would never have to travel to Mount Doom to destroy it,” Joyce explained. “One simple change can rewrite everything.”

Carter shook her head before walking off.

“Carter is… more of a book learner than a people person,” O’Neill explained in Carter’s defense.

Joyce nodded her head. “Willow’s the same way. They can’t see the forest for all the trees or is it the tree for the forest?”

O’Neill snorted. “That pretty much describe Daniel and Carter at times.”

“Daniel?” Joyce said.

“Dr. Jackson,” O’Neill clarified with a nod towards the door.

“Ah,” Joyce nodded in reply. “I guess we should go rescue Dr. Jackson and Teal’c from my daughter before she embarrasses them to death.”

O'Neill snorted. “Daniel’s more likely to study her and write a paper on nature of fanboys and girls.”

“Ohhh, the research is everything type,” Joyce teased.

“You have no idea,” O’Neill grumbled with a shake of his head. Looking over at the door, he then said, “So who exactly is Dawn? Xander told me that Buffy was an only child.”

Joyce glanced at O’Neill before looking away. “It’s… a Sunnydale thing.”

“And I’m guessing this Sunnydale thing has to do with the monster of the week,” O’Neill commented.

“If she finds Dawn, she’ll kill her and then the rest of us will follow,” Joyce admitted.

Jack nodded his head in understanding. “So how did you end up with her?”

Joyce lets out a weary sigh as she sat down on the floor and leaned against the wall. Jack soon joined her.

“She’s… she’s always been there. I remember when I was pregnant with her. How she would kick when Buffy would talk to my stomach. How she used to like to stand on my bladder. Giving birth to her. Her first words. Her first steps. First day at school. I remember it all… and none of it existed,” Joyce explained. “Some monks… they were guarding an item that our monster of the week wanted and when she was about to win, they sent it away, sent it to Buffy to guard. They created a human form; they created Dawn to hide the item in. Made her Buffy’s little sister so she would have an extra reason to protect her.”

“And implanted memories of you having Dawn, so no one would question her sudden appearance,” Jack added in.

Joyce nodded her head. “No one realized it. Dawn had always been there.” Joyce took a deep breath and then exhaled. “That was until I had a car accident and ended up with a bad concussion.”

“What happened?” Jack asked.

“I started to remember the truth, that I never had a second child,” Joyce explained, “but I also remembered having her. I thought I was going insane…but as I got better, I kept both sets of memories. When I talked to Giles about it, I learned the whole truth and the fact that they had clues about Dawn’s origin before the accident.”

“Does Dawn know about her origins?” Jack asks.

Joyce nodded her head. “She overheard Buffy and Willow talking about it. It was pretty bad for a little bit until I finally convinced her that she was my Thumbelina.”

“Thumbelina?” Jack echoed in confusion.

“It’s a fairy tale about a girl no bigger than your thumb who was found in the middle of a flower blossom by an old woman who could not have any children,” Joyce explained.

“I seem to remember that story. She’s kidnapped by a toad but escapes. Later, she lives with a field mouse and was to marry something else only to escape on the back of a bird and find her prince charming,” Jack chimed in.

Joyce chuckled. “You, a big bad Air Force colonel, knows fairy tales?”

Jack’s face reddens. “I blame Daniel. For a while, he was going through old myths and fairy tales to see if were based on fact or something.”

“Well then, he’ll be interested in know that Hansel and Gretel was based on a demon,” Joyce supplied.

“The witch was a demon?” Jack said in surprise.

“No. Hansel and Gretel were,” Joyce corrected. “The old woman in the story was the innocent.”

“Hansel and Gretel, the two kids in the story with the witch and the gingerbread house were demons?” Jack said in disbelief.

Joyce nodded her head. “Almost burnt Buffy at the stake because of them. They were demons that pretended to be a murdered boy and girl so they could encourage whatever town they were in to kill the ‘bad girl’ the witches of the town. Giles told me that they caused the Salem Witch Trials to happen.”

“They’re dead right? Your daughter killed the demons?” Jack asked

Joyce nodded yes with a smile.

Jack is silent for a moment before saying , “What about Dracula and Van Helsing?”