Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup
[Reviews - 1]
Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +


Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: If you recognize the characters, I don't own them.

Horatio scowls at Hillborne as the IAD officer comes into the hospital room where Horatio, Mac Taylor, Tim McGee, and Jethro Gibbs are talking.

"What do you want Hillborne?" Mac asks tiredly.

"I need to talk to Lt. Caine and get his side of the story."

"Hillborne, you spent the last two days talking to everybody else, what more do you need to know?" Mac sighs, pinching his nose to fight off the raging headache.  Horatio looks at the IAD officer and sighs.

"What do you want to know?" he asks tiredly, licking his lips.  Tim McGee immediately stops talking over the link to Abby back in Washington and stands up, pouring Horatio a glass of water and holding the straw to his lips.

"Thank you McGee," he says, swallowing the lingering dry mouth left from the anesthesia.  His right arm lies across his chest, the new white cast matching the one on his left leg.

"Keep it short," Gibbs growls, "Or I'm going to have you removed.  This is the first day Caine is allowed visitors, and we've already been warned by the nurses not to tire him."

"I understand, I'll try to keep it short.  Lt. Caine, I'm going to record this if that's okay with you." Hillborne says quietly, knowing the NCIS agent will easily follow through on his threats to hurt him if he bothers the other man.  Horatio nods tiredly.

"I had come to NY on a crossover case involving NY, Miami.  Since the victims were military, NCIS joined us in the investigation.  We were exiting the station when CSI Monroe started sliding on an icy spot, grabbing onto my arm for balance.  Both of us fell and I accidentally kicked NCIS agent David
in the butt with my foot when I fell.  I hit my head when I landed, but before I lost consciousness I saw David and Monroe sliding on the ice into the street."

"The city had been working on the sewer before the storm started, unfortunately they had left a manhole cover off for air." Mac says, taking up the story.  "David and Monroe fell through the open manhole cover. Monroe must have hit her head on the way down, she died from a closed head
injury.  David was pinned by Monroe's body and had drowned by the time we had gotten Lt. Caine loaded into an ambulance, realized they weren't with us, and went looking."

Hillborne blinks as he deadpan delivery of Mac Taylor, looking over at Gibbs and McGee who nod in unison.  He shakes his head and shuts off the tape recorder and quietly exits the room.

"And now I've got to fill out a ton and a half of paperwork to get a new CSI." Mac mutters as he stands up to leave.  Gibbs moans softly and runs a hand over his face.  "I'm going to have just as much paperwork from Ziva's death. Oh well, that's what I keep DiNozzo around for." he smirks.  "And he
can't push it off on McGee since he's here."

"At least I don't have to worry about paperwork" Horatio says, blinking as the nurse injects a new dose of painkiller in the iv. "Instead, I've just got to put up with Alexx fussing over me until everything heals."