Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Professional McGonagall, dressed in a conservative Muggle business dress marched up the walk away to a two store house in Hampstead.

A dark haired woman answered the door. “Hello?” she said. “Can I help you?”

“Is this the Granger residence?” McGonagall asked.

“Yes,” the woman answered.

“I’m Professor McGonagall from Hogwarts,” McGonagall stated.

“Is Hermione all right?” Mrs. Granger gasped. “Nothing has happened to her, has it?”

McGonagall smiled a reassuring smile. “She’s perfectly fine but I need to speak to you and your husband about her grades.”

Mrs. Granger blinked a couple of time before saying, “Yes. Yes. Of course. Please come in.”

“Thank you,” McGonagall said as she stepped into the home.

“Would like something to drink. Tea? Water?” Mrs. Granger asked as she lead the professor to the living room.

“Thank you but no,” McGonagall replied.

“John, this is Professor McGonagall, one of Hermione’s teachers,” Mrs. Granger announce as she walked into the room. “Professor, this is my husband, John.”

“Is every alright?” John asks as he stood up, his newspaper in hand.

“As I told your wife, Hermione is fine but we need to speak about her grades,” McGonagall stated as she took a seat.

“Hermione did write to us about how a professor was grading her unfairly but she was going to take the matter to the Headmaster,” Mrs. Granger stated.

“Did Hermione write to you about why she believed she was being graded unfairly?” McGonagall inquired.

“She mentioned that the professor had a biases against her house, against Gryffindor,” Mr. Granger stated.

“While Professor Snape has a tendency to be hard of his student due to the dangerous nature of his field of study, I was able to confirm that he had graded her work fairly,” McGonagall explained.

“Then why is Hermione saying otherwise?” Mrs. Granger asked.

“Professor Snape has a set of criterial for all homework. The work must be with a certain range of length and with a set text heights,” McGonagall stated.

“That’s something you see in almost all schools in I guess you would say non-magical world,” Mr. Granger pointed out.

McGonagall nodded her head. “During the first year, he doesn’t enforce this rule but he does comment on it, fully expecting them to incorporate the comment into their work.”

Mr. Granger groaned. “She didn’t, did she?”

McGonagall pulled a few scrolls seemingly out of nowhere and offered them to the Grangers. “Here a few examples of your daughter assignments.”

Mrs. Granger took one of the scrolls and opened it. The section not being held, dropped to the floor and rolled across the floor until it was open fully.

“That explained why she need so much more parchment than what the school recommended for the year,” Mrs. Granger noted.

“When the other professors learned about Professor Snape requirement, many of them, myself included incorporated them,” McGonagall stated.

“How does the homework factor into the finally grade,” Mr. Granger asked as he examined on the scrolls.

“It varies per professor but for myself it counts for over half the grade,” McGonagall answered.

Mr. Granger let out a sigh. “She’s failing, isn’t she?”

“Not quite yet but if she doesn’t start to follow instructions…” Professor McGonagall left the rest unsaid.

“I blame Samuel for this,” Mrs. Granger stated as she shot her husband a look.

Mr. Granger open his mouth. Close it. Open. “I blame Sam for this too.”

McGonagall looked at the couple in a questioning manner.

“Sam… Samuel is an old military buddy and Hermione’s godfather,” Mr. Granger explained. “He has this saying that Hermione took to heart. ‘If you can’t blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit’. Hermione has taken that to mean overwhelm them with information”

“That’s hardly an appropriate motto to tell a child,” McGonagall commented.

Mr. Granger shrugged his shoulders. “Since he’s a group Captain in the RAF, it seems to work for him.”

“It also helps that Samuel has the talent and luck to back it up,” Mrs. Granger chimed in.

“I see,” McGonagall said simply. “So how do you suggest that we handle Miss Granger trying to blind us with information.”

“Ban her from her books, normally work for me,” Mr. Granger grumbled.

Mrs. Granger smacked her husband in the arm. “John,” she hissed.

“What? It was the only way I could get her to do something besides spending every waking hours with her head bowed over a book,” John admitted.

McGonagall chuckled softly. “I don’t really think that is an option.”

“Is there any cause we could go to Hogwarts and speak to her?” Mrs. Granger asked.

McGonagall shook her head. “The Ministry would never allow it.”

“But we’re allowed to enter Diagon Alley, so why aren’t we allowed to see Hogwarts?” Mr. Granger asked.

“During the weeks after the students receive their letter and the start of school, the number of Aurors on the street increase by threefold,” McGonagall admitted. “So if anyone would try anything they would be stopped.”

“You mean in any Muggle tried anything. Hermione told us about your war and the Death Eaters,” Mr. Granger pointed out.

“Yes,” McGonnell replied solemnly.

“What about bring Hermione home for a weekend? Could we do that?” Mrs. Granger suggested.

Once again, McGonagall shook her head. “The only time a student is allowed to return home is either for a death in the family or they’re being expelled.”

“Is that just for Muggle born or all students?” Mr. Granger asked.

“Fortunately it’s for all the students,” McGonagall answered

“What would be the consequences of her failing?” Mrs. Granger asked.

McGonagall sighed. “Since Miss Granger is a Muggle born she would not be invited back to Hogwarts. Her wand would be snapped and her magic would be bound. In addition her memory and yours would be adjusted to believe that she suffered a long illness that prevented her from attending school for the time period in which she attends Hogwarts.”

“I see,” Mrs. Granger said thoughtfully.

“Are there any side effects to have your magic bound,” Mr. Granger asked. “Does it cause cancer? Short the life span? Anything?”

“No. there are no sides effects,” McGonagall stated. “In the 19th century, a number of witches and wizard across the global were monitored to see what the effects would be and all of them lived a normal healthy life.”

“And their children,” Mrs. Granger said, “we’re they born with magical powered? Any illness or birth defects”

“They’re where all born healthy and normal and more than three quarters where born with magic,” McGonagall replied.

“Oh thank you,” Mrs. Granger breathed a sigh of relief.

Mr. Granger chuckled. “Well I think we found our solution.”

“What?”

“We have?”

John nodded his head. “There are two things that my little girl loves the most. Books and magic. Tell her what the consequences would be if she keeps refusing to follow the instructions for her homework. She’ll fight you about it but if you remind her that it’s her own actions that lead her to this, she’ll fall in line pretty fast.”

Mrs. Granger nodded her head. “He’s right,” she admitted “Either that or we’ll need to make plans for the cover story because I doubt simply saying that she’s been ill would be believable in this day and age.”

“Well then we need to hope that Miss Granger will as Mr. Ganger says ‘fall in line pretty fast,’” McGonagall replied.

~*~

“Thank you, Professor,” Hermione said stiffy before turning and walking out of the Transfiguration classroom.

“So is everyone alright?” Harry asks as Ron and him started walking with Hermione.

“Everything is fine,” Hermione replied in a flat tone of voice.

“Fine?” Ron echoed back. “McGonagall asked you to stay after class… so how could it be fine.”

“Because it is,” Hermione snapped.

Harry and Ron walked in silence with their best female friend.

“I made a mistake with my homework,” Hermione announced. “I’ve being given a chance to correct it.”

“Okay,” Harry said with a nod of his head.

“Aren’t you going to ask me how I messed it up?” Hermione demanded.

“Why bother? We know you’ll tell us when you ready,” Ron said with a shrug of his shoulders.

Hermione let out an irritated huff as Harry and Ron shared a smile behind her back.



The End?