Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


 

 

Cordy swishes her hips as she gets ready for a member tonight. He always asks for her and she's already had her shot so he can take her virginity on the kitchen table. Faith comes in wearing an outfit that shows she's going to be 'sacrificed' on an altar to appease an ancient god.

 

The mail is waiting on her when she opens the door and she grabs a double handful to look through. "Rupert. . ." She whines when she finds a bag from a phone store in the container. A sticky note is on the box saying that now she can deposit checks the same day. He'd already set up the app, she just needs to enter her information.

 

"I still have to deposit the money Rupert." she sighs as the looks over the manual and sees the note saying everything's been activated. Shaking her head she puts it up and continues sorting through her mail.

 

The next morning she checks on the seamstress shops after breakfast to go over her inventory and finds notes on everything they're running low on on a clipbaord. After lunch she calls cordelia's friend.

 

"Smart."

 

"Hey Max."

 

"Jessy, good Cordelia told me you'd be arriving home yesterday."

 

"Yes, and after the planeride from hell I just wanted to relax."

 

"Turbulence?"

 

"Three screaming kids."

 

Max winces. "Can you talk to us about outfits?"

 

"Yeah, when do you want to come out?"

 

"I can be out there in an hour."

 

"I'll be in the shop."

 

Max opens the door an hour and ten minutes after he ended the call, a young man and woman coming in behind them looking around. The woman chuckles at the message on the wall. "Have you had any bad checks?"

 

"Nope, though we've had people look at it and put their checkbook away and pull out a credit or debit card instead."

 

They look over the designs, Jessy making notes and then going through the back to the other building for her pads, the others looking them over and adding more outfits. A contract is brought up and they sign everything, putting down a huge deposit. Max sniggers as Jessy scans the check. "Finally broke down and got one to deposit checks?"

 

"Rupert got it for me while I was in New York." He leans on the counter laughing. "That's the only way you would have got one."

 

"I still have to deposit the cash n the bank anyway." Jessy drawls. She starts making lists of what she'll need to buy or order as they head off and in what order to make them.

 

Turning to the computer she puts in the order and, looking at the time heads to the main house.

 

Detouring to various tables she tells everybody of the huge order and to come to the shop tomorrow after breakfast. Rupert nods as he listens to her.

 

"Get everything?"

 

"I put in an order but I'm heading into. . . Andrew, I'm going into Miami day after tomorrow to the fabric warehouse. . .coming with me to stop to the comic book store?"

 

"University?"

 

"Too early, Xander and I will go in in a couple weeks. I know Cordy has a special day to go in since she's a new student."

 

The next morning everybody is standing around the seamstress shop as Jessy hashes out the order in which everything will be made.

 

The next day Andrew and Jessy stop at the comic book store first, the owner grinning at them as they start looking over the shelves as he brings out their orders.

 

After visiting a couple more stores in the area they drive to the fabric warehouse.

 

"Ms. Michaels." the clerk smiles.

 

"I got a huge ass order." She hands over her list.

 

"Oh yes." She and Andrew grab flatbed carts and start filling them, scanning everything and putting them in the truck Andrew brings around the back so they can keep filling the flatbeds. The last item is marked off the list and Jessy pays, the receipt shooting out of the printer.

 

"Still got stuff to order?" Andrew asks as they pull away from the back of the business.

 

"A few items, I got the bulk of it today or ordered it a couple days ago."

 

Back at the House maintenance is busy emptying the truck and putting everything in the storerooms, Jessy ordering the last of the supplies as they work.

 

"Get everything Jessy?" Rupert asks as she comes into the main house and checks her mail.

 

"Nearly, I ordered the rest after I got back. By the time we need it. . .it'll be here."

 

The next day people are busy putting together the supplies for their outfits and starting to lay them out.

 

A couple weeks later Xander and Jessy return from the school in Miami with their books and the supplies they had to get there. They set up everything at tables. . .Cordelia's stuff for her her first semester is at another table. She's going for a different degree than they had. . .they already ran their own businesses but won't be getting into different books for at least a year.

 

"How is the order coming?" Cordy asks as they get everything set up the way they want.

 

"Good, we've got a half-dozen in progress at any time. The finicky details in the way of decorations take the longest." Cordy nods as they walk out of the library.

 

A few weeks later Max makes a trip out, smiling and nodding as he sees a list of projects being worked on and the outfits in question. He takes pictures for the others and getting good responses.

 

"How is your MBA coming?"

 

"Started it a few weeks ago, I don't see any problems with my business plan. . .hello, it's what I'm actually doing."

 

"Jessy, got an e-mail from Jack Harkness, he wants more quilts." Illyana says from the computer.

 

"Ask him how soon he needs them, I've got this big order first." Illyana's fingers fly over the keyboard. A few minutes later she looks up again. "January is fine. . .they don't need them yet."

 

"Okay, print out the details and I'll get everything tomorrow. I'm going into Miami anyway."

 

"Quilts?"

 

"I can make them special order, Jack and his friends live in Cardiff."

 

"Ohhhh, they actually get months of cold there."

 

"Yep. He's a good friend, he orders soap and candles from us too. We have special labels made up for him, tweak his ego and make his coworkers laugh or cuss."

 

"Andrew." Jessy calls as she comes into the cafeteria.

 

"Yeah."

 

"We're stopping at the fabric warehouse too, I got an order from Jack for quilts. He already knows I got a special order from Max, he's says no hurry on them." She says at Rupert's opening mouth. He grins at her. "Information on your other supplies?"

 

"According to the latest, they're due to ship next week." Jessy says as she grabs a tray and starts to fill it.

 

"Normal supplies?"

 

"I'll start doing inventory next week and order after midterms, that way everything should arrive while we're shut down." Jenny and Joyce nod in satisfaction. "And if you need anything else it's not a hardship to run into Miami to the warehouse. . .just like tomorrow."

 

"Exactly."

 

"We can stay at the motel depending on how long it takes." Andrew says. Jessy nods.

 

After an early breakfast Andrew slips behind the wheel of the big truck. They end up at the mall just as it opens, heading immediately to the bookstore. After lunch they hit the comic book store and looking at the time eat dinner before checking into the motel.

 

"Hannah, is that already sold?" Jessy calls as she sees fabric being loaded up on flatbeds.

 

"No." she turns to look at her boss then one of their better customers. "We were clearing it out for a seasonal display.

 

"I got quilting orders the other day."

 

Hannah chuckles and they start moving bolts onto another flatbed, Jessy marking off items on the list.

 

"Well. . .that cleared out a good bit of it." Hannah's boss chuckles as they look at the decimated flatbeds. Hannah laughs as she starts pulling them into the back room.

 

"Get everything?" Xander asks as he helps move the bolts into the back of the seamstress shop.

 

"Most of it, I'll order the rest before dinner." Copying the receipts she hands them to Xander who chuckles and takes them to the main house.

 

"Jessy." he hands them to Larry who nods and puts them in a file. A couple hours later she hands him another receipt. "The rest of the stuff for Jack's order."

 

"How are you on supplies for the library?"

 

"Coming in this next batch of supplies." He nods in satisfaction and puts the receipt in the file. "Did all the condos sell?"

 

"Yep and they're already looking at the other two developments. And the area is clearing for the businesses the government wants to go up."

 

"Yeah, Andrew and I saw the signs when we came back." Jessy yawns and looks at the rain sleeting on the window. "Have they said anything about substations?"

 

"Yes, we've got the power plant nearby but that area is going to have their own substation. It will take strain off the one that handles town." Jessy nods. They'd heard the talk about the need for a new substation but hadn't been able to raise the funds necessary.

 

The next couple of weeks pass quickly and soon Jessy is taking her midterms. After she's done she walks to the seamstress building to make a list of what she needs to order. She looks up at the chuckle from the door to the front room. "Mr. Sampson."

 

"Ms. Michaels," His lips twitch.

 

"Mr. Sampson, how are the girls?"

 

"Planning on coming out when they get back to get their graduation outfits, will you have time for them?"

 

"Of course. We're on track for these."

 

"I'm actually here to talk to you about your MBA."

 

"Let's go to the library then." she puts the clipboard down where she'd been working so she knows where to start again and they walk to the library.

 

"Oh my. . .when you said you run the library. . ." He turns around in a circle, taking in everything when they walk into the building.

 

"You weren't expecting something so big. Yeah, I got the same reaction when I put up video footage on my facebook page. You caught me at a good time, in a couple days I'm off to New York for comicon with Andrew."

 

"So Dr. Giles told me when I called to arrange a time to come out." He chuckles.

 

A couple days later Jessy and Andrew pull their bags out of the trunk of the car, checking in and getting some food before making their way to their gate. They pull out the latest information for the comicon in New York, going over everything as they wait for boarding.

 

Nearly a week later they arrive back at the House, everybody chuckling as they chivvy them to their homes and beds.

 

"Are you awake?" Rupert asks when Jessy stumbles into the cafeteria the following day.

 

"No, but I'm up." she mutters. Yawning she is led to a seat by Cordelia and a tray put in front of her by Xander.

 

"Did you sleep at the con?"

 

"Yes, even though I've heard stories about people just dropping once the con is over."

 

"And rooms that have a dozen people staying in them sleeping wherever they can?"

 

"That one's true. That's the only way they can attend the bigger cons is get as many people in the rooms as possible. Of course hotels don't know how many people are actually staying in the rooms." Andrew says around a yawn as he walks into the room.. "I've seen the posts on lists before I came to the House. If i'd had the money for a ticket and the entrance fee I'd probably have signed up for a spot."

 

"How are you on your classes?"

 

"I've been getting extras in since I knew I'd be gone for a week. Even now I doubt I'd be able to read without my eyes crossing."

 

"Can you join me for a meeting about the hotels?"

 

"As long as I don't have to do anything too strenuous. . .like think." The others snigger. They know Jessy's just complaining to complain.

 

"Miss Jessyca." A man smiles as she walks into the room.

 

"Hello Baxter, it's been a while." She shakes her head after she's pulled into a hug, but then he's an old friend. His father and grandfather before him had worked for Jessy's grandparents.

 

"You were gone this summer?"

 

"Yep, I've been taking classes at a fashion school in New York, they have a branch here in Miami but the initial degree I was going for wasn't offered here until a few years ago now. So I've been taking classes there summers."

 

"Did you finish this latest degree there?" Rupert asks as he walks around his desk.

 

"Yes. And yes, they are paying me and waiving the cost of the classes." Rupert sniggers. "Are there any problems with Max's order?"

 

"No, we were on track before I left and Cordelia didn't mention anything. I'll look over everything before I start classes again."

 

"Classes?"

 

"The nudge there is making me get an MBA." Baxter nods in satisfaction. "Good." Rupert laughs at the sour expression on Jessy's face and they settle down to talk about the progress of the hotels.

 

"What's going up around you?"

 

Rupert ticks them off and Baxter's eyes grow big. "The state wants them. . .and what the state wants. . ."

 

"That sounds about right. I hear you're building condos now?"

 

"Yes, our first venture is selling well, the other two are under construction now. I'm also flipping houses, there's a lot for sale that have been sitting there since they need work. With the remodels they're selling well." Baxter nods in satisfaction. "In addition I brought a number of houses in town that were up for tax auction, with the new businesses coming into the area they'll sell well."

 

"Do you see the need for condos out here?"

 

Rupert looks at Jessy then starts scrambling for a notepad, writing a few things down before they turn their attention back to the hotels and other stuff.

 

After they leave Rupert calls in Wesley, Joyce, and Jenny. "Jessy had a good question during the meeting. With the new coming into the area in a few years, do we see the need for condos in the area?"

 

"There is that area on the other side of town. . ." Wesley says slowly. "It goes to Stanley."

 

"Yes, that's the area I had been thinking of myself."

 

"We wouldn't want to start building until we see a need."

 

A couple days later Jessy signs into her classes again and faster than she'd thought possible she's taking her finals. Putting her books away in her house she checks on everything in the seamstress shop, finding Max and his friends there.

 

"Jessy, finish your tests?"

 

"Yeah, just now. Is this the last of your outfits?"

 

"Yep, and here's the last of the payment." Max hands over the checks she scans on her phone after stamping the back and puts it under the counter to shred later. Sam Guthrie holds the door open as they take out the last of their garment bags, putting them in the van before driving off.

 

"Gods, it seems empty in here now." Faith says as she grabs a broom and starts sweeping. "Are we starting on the quilts before shutting down in a few weeks."

 

"I don't see why not, we should have a few tops ready before then." Jessy says. She grabs the list and starts bringing out supplies from the back as Paige brings out the box of quilting patterns. "Jessy, did you order more plastic for the patterns?"

 

"Yes, and x-cto knife blades. We're running low even with sharpening them and the scissors. I ordered new scissors too."

 

Thankgiving is noisy in the cafeteria, everybody had got their grades and Cordelia is being twitted about actually being smart.