Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


 

Mr. Sampson and his daughters come out a couple days later, selecting outfits and getting measured for them. They talk about Harvard and their plans for the future once they graduate. Mr. Sampson asks what's going in down the road and Jessy rattles everything off, the four of them staring at her. "The government." she sighs. "They wanted it and brought the land for us just like they did when they brought the land for the power plant."

 

"Do you own the commercial farm too?"

 

"Yep, it saved a lot of jobs in the area and it's a source of fresh fruit and veggies for senior citizens and the underprivileged in the area." Mr. Sampson nods in satisfaction.

 

They put down money on their dresses and head off, shaking their heads as they pass the area being cleared. "I can't believe the government wants all that."

 

"I can, you hear about pork barrel projects all the time. And they wonder why people complain about overspending."

 

"They don't care." his second daughter snorts. The other two laugh but nod.

 

"Thanks for bringing us out Dad, I know seeing dress designs makes you break out into hives." The other two snigger. "I'm forcing myself not to run screaming for the door. . .Ms. Michaels is enrolled in the MBA program and I am her advisor." The girls snicker as they get on the interstate.

 

The decorations are starting to go up as she walks to her house, finding Rupert, Xander, and Andrew bringing out the outside decorations.

 

"Is that it?"

 

"Yes, we've started the quilt tops and I can start their dresses after the first of the year. According to the latest on the order, it's due week after next." Rupert nods in satisfaction.

 

"Are you making one last trip to the mall and comic book store?"

 

"Yeah, next week. Any later and we won't want to be in the malls."

 

"Amen, we won't want to even go into town any later than that. Gods sake people, why wait until the last goddamn second to buy gifts?" Xander mutters.

 

"Because if you buy them ahead of time you'll miss the latest greatest crap they bring out." Xander snorts as he puts up a ladder as Andrew opens the tote marked house front--frame, tote one. Boxes of lights are opened and start to be put together, Xander taking the string and clipping it around the house.

 

"Books?"

 

"Xander, Cordy, and I are going in day after tomorrow, get everything we need."

 

Two days later the van pulls up by the library, Cordy running in and getting the flatbed for the bags and boxes that go in. Everything is sorted out as Rupert leans in the doorway.

 

"Are you all set for next semester now?"

 

"Yep."

 

Several days later Jessy and Andrew head into Miami, one of many cars and trucks heading there. Late that night everybody descends on the cafeteria.

 

"Mall full of screaming kids?" Rupert asks as he sits down.

 

"Yes. Morons can't be bothered to fucking get a damn sitter so they can shop without having to drag the kids along. You're not doing anybody any favors, you can't shop for everything you want with them along. They don't want to be dragged pillar to post, and everybody around them doesn't want to listen to them screaming."

 

"There's no place to leave them to play in malls." One of the cooks says.

 

"There's no place to leave them anywhere anymore. Too bad there's no daycares where you could just drop kids off for the day."

 

"Too big a chance of them not coming back to pick up the kids." Rupert says sadly.

 

Tagged gifts start appearing under the tree in the main house, everybody had drawn names in November, those who'd gone home having purchased their gifts before they left and putting them in the office.

 

A couple days before Christmas Jessy and Rupert go out to check on the hotels. "Are you done for the holidays?"

 

"Yes, we start again the first full week in January. We're ahead of where we'd normally be, we took the holidays into consideration."

 

Driving past the mall Jessy moans as she sees a familiar figure gesturing wildly as security takes papers off windshields. A tow truck is there but the driver is giving her disgusted looks as a police car pulls into the parking lot.

 

"Stupid bitch, I hope they put the moron away in a home before somebody shoots her for her stupidity." Jessy mutters as the light changes and they pull away.

 

"Andrew." Jessy calls when they walk into the main house.

 

"Yeah." He turns around from putting another gift under the tree.

 

"That stupid bitch who thinks she's the parking authority might be in serious trouble. Security was pulling papers off windshields and there was a tow truck. Maybe the fool tried putting fake citations on them to get them towed? Because parking anywhere but where she wants has to be a crime."

 

"Wouldn't surprise me at all if she did. Fucking whore was trying to move the truck when I went out with boxes and bags from the store and I cussed her ass out long and loud. Security came running over and told her to grow the fuck up. She tried taking her keys to the truck and they grabbed her before I could punch her stupid ass out. Maybe this time they'll finally put her away."

 

"Amen, we didn't get it like you and Jessy did but we certainly heard her bellyaching." Xander says as he walks in.

 

"Did you get everything out?"

 

"Yep, the truck just left."

 

Jessy watches the local news and laughs when she hears the story that the woman is being held under psychiatric evaluation pending charges. "She's not 'twoubled', she just wants the world to bow down and kiss her ass for existing. If it wasn't handicapped parking spaces she'd have another way to try to make people do what she wants."

 

Christmas is loud, after all the gifts have been opened and stockings examined people are either watching christmas movies and tv shows in the house's theater or playing video games in the gaming room until dinner.

 

The expo list for the next year goes up after New Years Eve, everybody looking the list over and putting their name down for the expos they're interested in then signing up for a couple that are just 'get the information and bring it back to the house'.

 

The next week Jessy, Cordelia, and Xander sign into their second semester of classes, the following week Andrew and Jessy heading to the mall for their first purchases of the year.

 

"So whatever happened to that fool woman?" Jessy asks a guard she knows.

 

"Wellllll, the head doctors found out she wasn't mentally ill, just. . ."

 

"A miserable bitch that wants to control the world?"

 

"Basically. .. yeah. She's in jail for ninety days for creating false citations in an attempt to get the vehicles towed. Unfortunately for her stupidness, security saw what she was doing and got in her face about it. We have a one year temporary restraining order against her once she gets out of jail. . .after that?" the security guard shrugs. "She's going to sue for having her arrested, her own lawyer told her to grow the fuck up.

 

Xander and Cordelia take breaks from their classes as is brought into the library later that day when they return to the House.

 

"How is the mall?"

 

"Quiet without having to worry about dumbass. . .who's in jail for ninety days for creating those false citations to get the vehicles she didn't wanted parked there gone. Unfortunately for her security saw what was going on and got in her face. They've got a one year temporary restraining order against her. She's going to sue, she's the victim. they didn't have to arrest her. Her own lawyer told her to grow the fuck up, she'd been told repeatedly to leave cars alone for a while now and refuses to do it."

 

"Jessy, how are you on your classes?"

 

"I'm a little ahead. . .why?"

 

Rupert's lips twitch as he hands her an envelope. "Enjoy your vacation. Jenny packed your bags, Horatio is waiting at the front gate to take you to the airport. He's heading back to work, so don't keep him waiting please. And your passport is in the envelope."

 

Jessy is muttering rude comments as she gets out of the car, Horatio's lips twitching at some of her turns of phrase as he hands over her bags. Checking her ticket she heads to the right line and quickly checks in, her medical excuse quickly getting her through security. Getting some food she sits down and starts going through the envelope, sighing as she sees she's going on a cruise. But when she sees who's sponsoring the cruise an evil smirk passes her lips. Her section is called and she gets on the plane, settling into her seat.

 

A shuttle takes her from the airport to the dock, checking in she looks around the room and shakes her head. Oh well, it's only ten days and she won't be in it that much. Looking over the amenities she puts on a bathing suit and coverup, putting her room key in a fanny pack and grabbing a towel.

 

After a dinner that seems to drag on forever as the owners of the cruise line and the owners of the casino make long speeches the gaming rooms open and Jessy heads immediately to the slot machines.

 

"Enjoy yourself?" Ryan asks as he picks her up at the airport ten days later.

 

"Hell no, the cruise ship got hit by the norovirus a couple days into the trip."

 

"I didn't hear anything about that on the news." Ryan scowls. Everybody had been listening to news about the ship because Jessy was aboard.

 

"You wouldn't have, the owners of the cruise ship and the owners of the casino wanted it kept hush-hush-hush so the bad publicity wouldn't come back on them. They kept swearing up, down, and sideways that it was just some bad cases of seasickness. . .the CDC was ripping them to shreds when the ship's doctor called them in at the docks. They were trying to get people to sign non-disclosure paperwork, I ripped it up and threw it in the garbage where it belonged before I walked off the ship. They're just whining because with people sick they weren't losing all their money in the gaming rooms."

 

"That sounds about right. Was there anything else to do on the ship?"

 

"Hell no, that would take them away from gambling. Not even shows like they have in the casinos in Vegas. I looked over the paperwork and I was supposed to be a special invitee because I won the big jackpot last year. . .so at least Rupert's not out any money for that shit." They get out of the airport and drive towards the interstate.

 

"Did you bankrupt them? And please, I know you."

 

"I damn well tried." Jessy smirks. "Poor babies didn't like me only playing the slots, they couldn't get the big bets out of me."

 

"Do I need to stop to the bank?"

 

"Nah, I already deposited everything." Ryan chuckles as they get on the interstate.

 

Rupert chuckles as Jessy just gives him a look when she walks into the main building. The whole story is told. "That was a top of the line stateroom?" Joyce snorts as she sees the pictures.

 

"Yep. There was no internet or cell service on the ship but I expect people are already posting about the goddamn clusterfuck that trip was."

 

"Yep." Cordelia says, looking online. She hands over her computer and Jessy adds her own scathing comments, uploading pictures she'd taken with her cellphone. Which were majorly different than the brochures. . .which more people were complaining about.

 

"so did you destroy them?" Rupert asks, his lips twitching.

 

"Not for a lack of trying."

 

Over the next couple days the story is revealed on the national news and the casino and cruise ship owners pointing fingers at each other as to whose idea it was not to turn around and come back, whose idea it was not to alert the CDC to the norovirus on the ship, and whining about losing money.

 

"Are you all set for prom?"

 

"Yep, they should start descending on the shop tomorrow. In a couple days. . .after I get my midterms taken I'll go into Miami and restock on supplies."

 

A few days later Jessy finishes her midterms, stretching backwards in the chair, her arms stretched over her head with her fingers interlaced. Looking at the time she smiles as Faith comes in with her phone.

 

"Done?"

 

"Just now." Jessy stretches and yawns. "Is the rush over with?"

 

"Looks like it." She hands over her phone and a file copy of all the orders, Jessy looking them over as they walk out of the library. "A good selection, do you . . .ahhhh, already got the list of what needs to be replaced."

 

"Yep."

 

Jessy and Andrew go in the next morning, Jessy stopping to the bank to deposit the money from the safe in the sewing building before hitting the interstate. "Do you want to stop to the fabric warehouse first?"

 

"We can hit it on the way back."

 

The comic book store is their first stop and the manager smiles as they walk into the building. He goes in back to get their regular orders and they wander the store. They come out of the store loaded down with boxes and bags and put everything in the back before visiting a couple other stores in the area.

 

They make it to the fabric warehouse store that afternoon, Jessy, Andrew, and Hannah filling flatbeds. They arrive back to the house, Jessy copying the receipt and giving one to Larry before they go to the cafeteria to eat.

 

"Get everything?"

 

"Most of it, I'll order the rest after dinner."

 

The dresses start being picked up over the next couple of weeks.

 

"Do we own the homes in town?" Joyce asks a few nights after the last of the prom dresses are picked up.

 

"Yes, maintenance is going through them now and making plans for what we need to do. Once we get the plans done we'll have Mr. Delko come out and walk through them." Rupert says. "If he can't do the work he will know who has spare crews."

 

Wesley nods. "And the worse houses in the area becoming the best will make other homeowners work on their homes."

 

"The condo units?"

 

"Selling well."

 

Jessy yawns as she finishes her finals. The rush for graduation outfits is done, Mr. Sampson just the only parent to pick up dresses for his daughters instead of the girls picking them up themselves. He'd thanked her when he realized they'd got them ready for shipping.

 

"Are you done?" Joyce asks from the doorway.

 

"Yep, I finished the last final not five minutes ago." She finishes stretching and straightens up. Covering her mouth with her hand she belches and Joyce sniggers.

 

"Are you ready for the expo in a couple days?"

 

"Yep, I need the break from worrying about my finals before I start working on my business plan."

 

Jessy and Paige head to Chicago a couple days later, checking into a hotel and settling in the room to go over their plans for sightseeing before the expos starts.

 

Jessy drives up to a big home. "Your grandparents home?"

 

"Yeah, I sold my parents home in California but I kept this one. My grandparents cook and housekeeper live here. . .I told them they can live here as long as they live but it's my house and they can't have family moving in." The door opens and an older woman rushes out, pulling her out of the car and hugging her. "Miss Jessyca, welcome back."

 

"Was this your grandmother? You look a lot like her."

 

"Yeah," Jessy turns to look at the pictures Paige is looking at on the wall. "That's one of the reasons I took Michaels as my last name when I did the paperwork for my DBA."

 

They return back to the House over a week later, Speed chuckling as Jessy drops into the back seat.

 

"Bad Expo?"

 

"People are fucking idiots. Morons, we reserved the conference center and our rooms months ago. .. why the hell do you think we're going to step aside for you? You're not that damn special. You just want it because somebody else has it."

 

Speed chuckles. "That's the reason for most crimes."

 

"They're coming along pretty good." Jessy says as they pass the construction of the mall and other buildings. "I say the bank's going to be open first."

 

"Then the restaurant. It's a tossup between the megaplex and the warehouse store."

 

"With the mall last. I don't think they've got any stores on board yet."

 

Larry chuckles but nods when they arrive at the main house. "I think the government bit off more than they could chew here."

 

"Well you know the government." Jessy snorts. "Do what they want then whine when it doesn't turn out the way they think they it will."

 

"And it's the taxpayers that are stuck with the outcome."

 

Rupert chuckles. He passes along fliers. "These are ads that are going to be going in the trade journals and whatnot. Don't worry, we'll have the mall full when it opens. The government swears the mall will be full."

 

"And we all know the government knows best. . .right?" Jessy snorts. Everybody around them sniggers.

 

"What are your plans for the summer?" Jessy's not going to New York that summer, the fashion school was shut down while they added new buildings to the school.

 

"Probably finish my business plan and pass it along to Mr. Sampson." Jessy stretches and yawns as they walk to the cafeteria.

 

Jessy reads a letter and, snickering, hands it to Rupert. "They're trying to set the casino cruise ship up again."

 

"Aren't they in trouble for bait and switch with the 'magnificent' staterooms?" Xander drawls.

 

"Oh the ship had them. . .but none of us were good enough to get one. The owners of the casino and cruise line got them. What? You thought we were going to pay for you to sleep in them?" Jessy snorts. "These sardine can staterooms are good enough for you, all you're supposed to be doing is giving us all your money anyway."

 

"Sounds about right. . .don't they realize they need more attractions to keep people interested? Even the casinos have restaurants and shows." Cordelia snorts.

 

"Please, all they care is getting the money from patrons, not giving them anything in return."

 

Jessy goes into Miami a couple days after she gets back with Andrew, their first stop is the comic book store and she chuckles when she sees the information on the new mall on the counter. "Yes, it looks like a good development but .. ."

 

Andrew chuckles. "Our boss owns it." The manager looks at him.

 

"The government brought the land because they wanted it, there's going to be a megaplex, a warehouse store, a bank, and a restaurant in the development. We didn't think it would do anything out there. . .it's not exactly a main street." Jessy waves a hand at the store front where cars are going by and people are walking down the street.

 

"First rule of business. . . location, location, location." The manager chuckles. "Exactly, now they government is frantically trying to bring attention to the development to get in business. Because we told them it wouldn't work. . but you know the government. . ."

 

"Don't listen to people with sense then whine when you're proven a moron?"

 

"Exactly. Since our businesses are out there, a commercial farm is out there, and a power plant is out there we should want all this shit. . .right? It started out first about a bank. . .don't all the employees at the power plant and commercial farm need a bank? Ignoring the fact that they can drive ten minutes into town and go to the bank."

 

The store manager laughs.

 

"Isn't that why Rupert got you a smart phone last year so you could deposit checks electronically." Andrew chuckles.

 

"Hello. . .I still have to run into the bank to deposit the cash." The manager laughs harder. He can't fault that logic. "Unless you're going to one of our businesses. . .you're not going to be driving out that way."

 

"What about the town near you?"

 

"They think it was a mistake too but they'll advertise it all they can. The moron who pushed everything through is frantically trying to find businesses to take spots at the mall. . .his plans to be somebody in the government have already crashed and burned now he's trying to keep his job."

 

"Even if he gets the businesses. . .it doesn't mean they'll stay open."

 

"Exactly."

 

Jessy and Andrew put their purchases in the truck and visit a couple other places before going to the mall. Police cars and news trucks are all over the parking lot.

 

"Ten bucks says it's her."

 

"sucker bet." Jessy puts the handicapped placard on the rear view mirror and they get out, A scream has Andrew and Jessy turning around, the dumb woman breaking away from the officers and running at them. The officers grab her and drag her away.

 

"Fucking fool."

 

"Amen."

 

"But they deliberately parked in a non-handicapped spot." she screams as she's shoved into the back of the police car.

 

"What the hell business is it of yours? You don't rule the world Lady. They don't have to park in handicapped parking spaces if they don't want to. You were told that. Grow the hell up and get over yourself." One of the onlookers snorts. She screams and kicks the partition between the seats as she's drove off.

 

Many hours later they pull through the gates, sorting everything out and having it sent to their house or apartment before they walk into the main building.